PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars on DVD yet again

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-23-2008, 02:33 PM
The two trilogies are being released separately. (http://digitalbits.com/#mytwocents) The packaging looks pretty cool overall, even if they each only focus on one movie. I'm not sure the looming Vader head was a good choice for the PT, and I think they should have called IV-VI "Original Trilogy" or "Classic Trilogy" but whatever. Apparently each movie has two discs, so it will likely be the original versions of the PT and the 2006 versions of the OT, but I am not sure.

sith_killer_99
08-23-2008, 02:48 PM
GL cuts off SW videos for like 10 years, then we beg for them on DVD, now he just can't seem to stop himself from re-releasing them!

Yet here we sit waiting for the blu-ray versions, which BTW would go great with it's internet connectivity and serve as a huge selling point for his website.

Perhaps he is trying to milk it to build up extra funds for the blu-ray conversion. You know Lucas, when these do finally hit blu-ray they will likely have more bonus features than you can shake a stick at.

Until the blu-rays come out I am done buying SW dvd's.

Blue2th
08-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Till I see some major bonus material namely deleted scenes like the ROTJ Sandstorm and ANH Biggs Academy scenes, I won't be buying any new SW DVD's till Blue-Ray.

Beast
08-23-2008, 04:33 PM
The retailers wanted a re-release of the films to coincide with the Clone Wars DVD.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-23-2008, 04:38 PM
The retailers wanted a re-release of the films to coincide with the Clone Wars DVD.
Ah. Since aren't the TPM and AOTC DVDs currently out of print?

Rocketboy
08-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Ah. Since aren't the TPM and AOTC DVDs currently out of print?Not that I know of. I see them quite a bit still. Many stores put 'em on sale quite often also.

Devo
08-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Its ridiculous the old versions are still available in abundance at retail - there has yet to be an opportunity for anyone to 'miss them'. This rerelease is utterly needless.

Blue2th
08-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Weren't they supposed to change Yoda in Episode 1 from a puppet to CGI in the next release? Or is that later?

JimJamBonds
08-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Ehhh...... another release. :sigh:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2008, 02:41 PM
According to the Official Site (http://www.starwars.com/movies/saga/20080826news.html#rss), the content is all old but the packaging is new. So, an easy pass.

Tenric78
08-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Where are the blu rays!? And where is that Yoda who looks like Yoda in Episode 1?

Kidhuman
08-28-2008, 08:49 PM
I missed the 06 release, so this isnt so bad for me.

cookiemonster
08-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Ok this might sound like a silly question but are these the original originals, without any special edition bits - if so I might get them.

Tenric78
08-28-2008, 09:03 PM
I heard they were part of this re-release (they were out already), but be warned THEY SUCK. A non-anamorphic widescreen Star Wars DVD release is the worst idea Lucas ever had. It seriously is sucktastic.

cookiemonster
08-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Tenric the worst Idea Lucas had was making the Phantom Menace, so surely they cant be as bad as that.

Rocketboy
08-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Weren't they supposed to change Yoda in Episode 1 from a puppet to CGI in the next release? Or is that later?The footage of the digital Episode I Yoda was just a test for the ILM animators in preparation for Episode II.
It just worked out so well that it was widely believed to be on a future release of Episode I. I don't think Lucasfilm ever actually said it would be.

Tenric78
08-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Tenric the worst Idea Lucas had was making the Phantom Menace, so surely they cant be as bad as that.

I'd say that the idea wasn't bad, but more so the execution.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-29-2008, 05:30 PM
The footage of the digital Episode I Yoda was just a test for the ILM animators in preparation for Episode II.
It just worked out so well that it was widely believed to be on a future release of Episode I. I don't think Lucasfilm ever actually said it would be.
They actually did it for ROTS, and you can see some of the footage on one of the DVD features. I thought they said it would be changed at one point, though I don't know if it was ever really "official."

Devo
08-30-2008, 10:05 AM
I missed the 06 release, so this isnt so bad for me.

How could you 'miss' them? Aren't they still available?

Kidhuman
08-30-2008, 07:13 PM
How could you 'miss' them? Aren't they still available?

I had them on lay-a-way, ended up canceling them as my car broke down. I have bootlegs of the original versions, so it was never really high on my list. now that my son is old enough, I am getting him a DVD player for Christmas, giving him the bootlegs and buying the box sets for myself. They look better in a box set to me.