PDA

View Full Version : Television (DIRECTV/Cable/DISH)

sith_killer_99
08-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Well, I should have my directv set up Monday.

I got the full package with hook ups for 4 room, 2 regular boxes and 2 HDDVR boxes.

I was a bit frustrated that they advertised "next day set up" yet when I placed my order (last Saturday) they gave me an installation date of 25 Aug.

Anyway, I was soooooo tired of Time Warner, I simply refuse to go through them again.

Directv advertises 265+ channels with over 130 HD channels!

I also got the NFL Sunday Tickets!!!

I am hopeful.

Does anyone else here run directv? Toughts, input?

How about competitors? Dish and or cable?

Blue2th
08-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm stuck with cable. The internet is fast, but the TV portion is way over priced, so it's shut off for now.

I tried to get a Qwest package deal where you get Direct TV, home phone, and internet for $100. I called to set it up and found out that there is not even DSL in my neighborhood, all they had was dial-up. That was the deal breaker for me.
I live in the fairly nice area of town, and I couldn't believe there is no real competition against Comcast. I'm so peed off. :mad:

Kidhuman
08-23-2008, 02:47 PM
I work for Dish and trust me Direct TV does not have 135 HD channels. Most of those are locals markets that you do not get. Price wise their promotional price will run out and you end up paying on average 10 dollars more per month. DirectTv does not have any 1080p programming as DISH does. Their DVr for HD do not have nearly as many hours as DISH's does. Our 722 model has up to 350 hours of recording and works 2 separate TV's individually(1 HD and one SD), so it could have saved money there for not having an additonal rcvr hooked up for 5 bucks a month. You could have had any DVR fees waived with Dish network as well saving another 6 dollars per month.

The only thing is we do not have the NFL Ticket

JediTricks
08-23-2008, 07:35 PM
SHILL!!!! ;)

I'm still on Time Warner analog cable, and it's overpriced and a poor performer. I won't do package deals though, that's a route to failure in my eyes.

Neuroleptic
08-23-2008, 07:43 PM
I got all a yall beat on price savings on my TV watching.

I don't have ANYTHING.

Just a TV with a DVD player hooked up to it.

Blue2th
08-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I still have my old 2 receiver dish but lost the ancient receiver box. I had no beef with Dish, the reception was good. I think I lost reception on the once every ten years snow storm we had a few years ago.
I fell for one of those package deals with Comcast when I went from a WebTV with dial-up to a Mac G5. A year later it jumped in price. I just refuse to pay $130 a month for their silver package + internet, and that's the lowest package you can get unless you get basic which is almost the same as rabbit ears.

I didn't know Dish had more HD than Direct TV.

Funny you should mention NFL Ticket KH. I asked Comcast if I could select a package without religion, sports, home shopping, and get a deal. I told them I just want history, science, nature, science fiction, cartoons, politics, drama, and some movies.
While I like an occasional sports game, I'm not obsessed with it. I was naive to think that any company had an ala'carte package, like I wish they did. They told me that it is the sports programming that drives up the prices of the packages. Well, give me NO sports for crissakes!! No wonder these guys have such high salaries, it's paid for by TV programming!
Right now I pay $60 for internet, $35 for land line phone, so that's almost $100. It really bugs me that I don't have much choice on the internet, so right now TV is luxury I can't afford, because I have to have fast internet.

Neuroleptic
08-23-2008, 09:24 PM
I havn't had TV service since 1999. Just wasn't anything on TV and I thought 50 dollars was too much for cable.

Now it's what? 100? Forget that.

Kidhuman
08-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I still have my old 2 receiver dish but lost the ancient receiver box. I had no beef with Dish, the reception was good. I think I lost reception on the once every ten years snow storm we had a few years ago.
I fell for one of those package deals with Comcast when I went from a WebTV with dial-up to a Mac G5. A year later it jumped in price. I just refuse to pay $130 a month for their silver package + internet, and that's the lowest package you can get unless you get basic which is almost the same as rabbit ears.

I didn't know Dish had more HD than Direct TV.

Funny you should mention NFL Ticket KH. I asked Comcast if I could select a package without religion, sports, home shopping, and get a deal. I told them I just want history, science, nature, science fiction, cartoons, politics, drama, and some movies.
While I like an occasional sports game, I'm not obsessed with it. I was naive to think that any company had an ala'carte package, like I wish they did. They told me that it is the sports programming that drives up the prices of the packages. Well, give me NO sports for crissakes!! No wonder these guys have such high salaries, it's paid for by TV programming!
Right now I pay $60 for internet, $35 for land line phone, so that's almost $100. It really bugs me that I don't have much choice on the internet, so right now TV is luxury I can't afford, because I have to have fast internet.

The thing with the Shopping channels and some religious channels is they pay the companies to put them on. They are whats called free access channels. If you have a dish hooked up, no programming on it you would still get TBN and HSN with Dish as well as the NASA channel.

Most companies went away from the pick your own channels. It got to be way to much with coding the acct. I actually had a woman call in a few months back that only had Comedy Central and Discovery on her package, no other channels. She is probably one of 5 people in our company that has a package from when you were able to select just the ones you wanted. She also ordered about 70 dollars in PPV a month.

And yes, ESPN is the most expensive contract all companies have, DISH, Direct, Comcast etc.... I think BO is the second, but at least they give you 8 channels of movies, not 1 channel.

Alot of companies will also tell you that they offer over 100 HD channels. Look into it and see how many are HBO/Max/Sho and Starz. You have to subscribe to the package in order to get those. Also PPV channels are another one and so are RSNets(regional Sports networks). They will include all 20 RSNets, but you might get one of them in the region you are in. If you live in California, you will not get the one from New York, but they include it.

In that sense is what causes Direct to say they have more channels than DISH, but when it comes down to it all, DISH has alot more channels that you get for what you subscribe to.

Now for the ala carte channels, we do offer about 10 of them, Bloomberg TV(stocks) RFDTV(rural farming) BabyFirst and a few others.

sith_killer_99
08-23-2008, 10:14 PM
KH, is correct, I will have to pay an extra $10.00 per month. However, they have a lot of HD channels:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=3420007&_DARGS=/DTVAPP/layout/component/topNavSections.jsp.21_A&_DAV=-1&_dynSessConf=3612130834077863968

Sure, I won't watch half of them, but there are some really good channels listed.

As for the "1080p" well, it's kinda debatable. I have done a lot of research and unless you are running a monster screen (50 inches or bigger) AND sitting within the specified range (something like 10-12 feet) the difference between 1080 and 720 is negligible. At least that's what the experts say. I probably would have bought a cheaper 720p television, if it had been available when I bought my 42 inch HDTV.

In any event, I am happy to be getting anything right now, I have been without television service since March 2007!

My main reason for wanting some kind of HD was because I hear that regular programming looks like garbage on an HDTV.

Well, I will let you all know what I think once it's all set up and installed.

I am sooo looking forward to the NFL Sunday Tickets package. It has been too long since I have been able to really enjoy football season...like 2005 long.