PDA

View Full Version : Writers' Conventions: Should I Go?

Tycho
08-24-2008, 05:10 PM
[Stillakid especially might want to read this]: September 26-28 is the Southern California Writers' Convention "in Los Angeles California." It's not really. It's at the Crown Plaza Hotel in Irvine (Orange County, California - LA County's southern neighbor). It's also only about 15 minutes from my grandparents' place should I want to stay with them (not - the hotel will be much more comfortable I'm sure - but I have my adopted parents' place at about an equal distance from the convention as well...hmmm. I DO like staying overnight in hotels though - any chance I get to feel like I'm on vacation).

The convention costs "begin" at $275. This is the chance for aspiring professionals to be reviewed by the top agents and publishers, and attend workshops and editing sessions. "It's more money than Comic Con" to weed out would-be-amateurs and make the event more exclusive. Life is not fair and an "equal opportunity" is often a myth.

What's NOT a myth is that Queensryche is having a concert on September 28th in Las Vegas, (at the House of Blues) and I was going to fly over and stay for at least the night at Mandalay Bay (same hotel / resort as House of Blues). I suppose I could still do both. But I better fly out of Orange County Airport and not even attempt to get back to San Diego first. That means I will have to travel alone and not be able to go with my friends. But I mean I'll see them after an hour's plane ride anyway. But I was going to do all this without going to the trouble of getting a pet-sitter. I guess that's not going to happen now. My only other hope is that Queensryche announces some Southern California tour stops and I'll skip Las Vegas this time, in light of the writers' convention.

Next comes a new dilemma for me, too: The LaJolla Writers' Conference. It's November 7-9 and I have to register (for $355) before September 1 when the cost goes up to $400. They also might be sold out, as they only accept the first 200 to apply to attend. As I said, they try to make these things exclusive. There are other writers' conventions in early 2009 that I can attend. But this one in LaJolla - a 20 minute drive for me from my San Diego residence - is 17 days after my kidney transplant is officially supposed to happen. I will be up and going to medical appointments every other day by this time (not on a weekend when the convention is, however) - and IN LA JOLLA actually), but I'm not sure how safe it will be for me to be amongst a large crowd (though 200 people is hardly 125,000 like at Comic Con!).

I'll see if I can get a refund on the $355 if I lay it out and am not up to going after all...(fortunately I barely need any money for toys - I think only a SideShow Rebel Fleet Trooper might ship around then, and otherwise I'm spending less than $200 on Star Wars for the rest of the YEAR so far as I know).

sith_killer_99
08-24-2008, 06:01 PM
T, this sounds like a good opportunity, I think you should go, skip Vegas, Queensryche is good in concert (I saw them back in 1995/96), but this seems more important than a concert.

Of course, this is not an altruistic post. I really want to see you get published so that I can read your book!:p

Tycho
08-24-2008, 06:23 PM
T, this sounds like a good opportunity, I think you should go, skip Vegas, Queensryche is good in concert (I saw them back in 1995/96), but this seems more important than a concert.

Of course, this is not an altruistic post. I really want to see you get published so that I can read your book!:p

LOL. Thank you.

Yeah, Queensryche's an awesome show, but I've seen them like - I don't know - 12 times in the past 3 years. Since I got out of the hospital (the first time), one of the things I could do was go to concerts. Somewhere along with that decision, I came up with only going to see the EXACT SAME BAND over and over again. Well - you know this: they DO NOT disappoint!

Metallica is playing at my alma matter (San Diego State Univ.) on December 11th. I might be able to swing that. It will be 51 days after my kidney transplant.

With the Queensryche show in Vegas, I'll have the option (if I FLY in to Vegas for the show) of attending BOTH the last day of the writers' conference as well as the Ryche show. I'll just have to hustle out of the airport when I land and make sure I'm staying at Mandalay Bay so I won't have to go anywhere else for the concert. I'll have time to throw my bags in my room and then go to the show. At House of Blues concerts, I try and have dinner there, so I can gain VIP access and skip the line into the venue. They do that to promote their food - and I've had some excellent dinners there - especially the BBQ salmon!

But if I'm staying with my family in Orange County, they can keep all my convention SWAG for me until I return to California, and give me rides to and from the airport in the O.C. As I said, there's NO CHANCE I can get back home in time to fly out of San Diego - and I really don't want to fly back to California the same night, after all day at a conference and then all night at a rock concert. So there'd be no reason to keep a hotel in the O.C. only to return there at like 2 in the morning! I might be in Vegas, but after all that, I could see myself crashing back in my hotel room at that hour, not on the strip all night. Then again, I'm usually all amped after every Queensryche concert and listening to all their albums until all hours of the night after any given show. :rolleyes:

It's my Rage for Order ;)

stillakid
08-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks for that info! :)

I may have to go to a conference soon to shop for a new agent for book two. But I'll need sales numbers from this one first and I won't get them til November.

I'll consider going though.

Tycho
08-25-2008, 03:12 AM
Stillakid, you could use the contacts and "the end of September" is close enough to November that you'd be remembered - especially if you just responded only once to follow-up on your convention contacts. I mean your material would be being delivered in the first week of October at the earliest (most likely). And while I don't know exactly when you must wait until for your sales figures, we're probably talking about it being LESS than 30 days from that follow-up until you could re-contact your new associations WITH your sales figures.

I private-messaged you the websites and you can take a look at the agents and publishers attending to see who you might want to connect with - and what they are looking for. Re-formatting my work is going to drive me crazy, as I have some specific alterations I have to make. Thank God for Microsoft...

Anyway, your work is non-fiction, and mine is the exact opposite, but in just glancing over what was offered, I saw contacts and panel forums they're hosting that I thought you might find useful.

There's actually more than enough choices in the Writers' Conference Program Schedule that I'm disappointed that I won't be able to attend everything due to conflicting schedules. It reminds me of Comic Con.

I've talked with a few friends since my earlier post, btw. Most are in line with Sith_Killer's position: forgoe Queensryche this time (they might even add Southern California shows that are later and more convenient anyway) and spend the extra money on staying at the hotel for the convention, as then I won't have to drive anywhere at all and the experience will be as stress-free and convenient as possible. It's probably good advice, but I'll have some friends who will be disappointed.

figrin bran
08-25-2008, 03:28 AM
Tycho, you'll have other chances for Queensryche.

I guess the same could be said for the writers' conferences as well but let's say you don't go to either one and you go to one next year and then things don't work in your favor for whatever reason. Don't you think you might wonder what could have been had you gone to either of the 2 this year?

All in all, you could just settle it with a coin toss! :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Tycho, doesn't this seem at all like a waste of money or a scam? I'm just saying, go if you want, but the whole thing seems just a little bit fishy.

jjreason
08-25-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm a bit inclined to agree (but also generally suspicious). If you submit your tickets to these conventions with your manuscript, are you any more likely to get published (believe me, I know the answer's no to this one) or is it the workshops that are worth the money?

Tycho
08-26-2008, 04:03 AM
It's all about building relationships and the politics of the publishing industry.

If you scratch the agents' backs and pay the $300 to get in the door and $50 more PER AGENT OR EDITOR to have them sit with your work for an hour (if you even get that long with them) - you can hope to make a good impression - like an interview for a job - and they'll respond and accept and review your material quickly and to your benefit. Then you can also buy them drinks at the social mixers in the hotel following each day at the convention.

If they remember you, you'll get read. Right now, all my hard work is somewhere in a huge "get to it later stack" in each of these people's offices. Believe me, I'll be RE-SUBMITTING during my follow-ups with most of my personal contacts I make at this convention.

I'm going to have to go way out of my way for this too, including re-arranging my dialysis schedule or attending dialysis at a strange and new-to-me clinic up in the OC just so I can attend 3 days without the toxins in my blood getting out of control.

But yeah - it's not "a fair game." You can have writing talent and scribe great stories that a lot of people would like. But the folks who are on the bookshelfs at Borders and Barnes and Nobel, or even Wal-Mart, Target, and the drug store near you, may have all greased their publishers' palms with some green to get there. Once again, there lies a situation where there is not an equal opportunity to reach the American dream. There are writers' grants you can apply for though. Then you need to spend the money wisely and go to the right convention and budget well - not use the funds to survive another week. They wouldn't last.

You can also enter writing contests where if you can win, that WILL get you noticed, regardless of your budget. I am trying every way.

But I am blessed with some other advantages, and I've also done my research. The agents and editors I want to connect with are going to be in attendance at this convention and another that I identified as being beneficial for me to attend. And that is what I should invest in.

El Chuxter
08-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Tycho, from my experience, you'd be much better off saving the $300+ for something more useful. Every writers' conference I've been to or seen is mostly workshopping, but it's the sort of touchy-feely workshopping by folks who think everything is good and so you don't get any worthwhile feedback. You'd be better off joining a writers' group locally, or even spending the money to take a class at a community college (which are mostly workshops as well, but at least you can get to know the people well enough where they'll be willing to provide honest feedback).

But yeah - it's not "a fair game." You can have writing talent and scribe great stories that a lot of people would like. But the folks who are on the bookshelfs at Borders and Barnes and Nobel, or even Wal-Mart, Target, and the drug store near you, may have all greased their publishers' palms with some green to get there. Once again, there lies a situation where there is not an equal opportunity to reach the American dream.
I've told you before, if you have the means and initiative to do so, self-publishing can be a very viable option. There have been quite a few major success stories that started as self-published or small press books and were picked up by larger publishing houses to get wider exposure. Eragon is the most recent "big one" that comes to mind. Even if you don't know the publishing software or how to submit something to a print shop, it's relatively easy to find people who do and can do it on the cheap. (Heck, from all the references to Adobe Creative Suite I see here, I'd wager there are people on this very site who could help.)

I'm not telling you what to do, but, based on my experience, these aren't worthwhile. Especially when you throw in the fact that everyone and their brother in SoCal has a book or script to peddle.

Old Fossil
08-26-2008, 10:57 AM
I've written a book and several short stories, but have had my efforts towards publication put on hold the past couple of years. It takes a lot of time and seemingly fruitless effort. But Tycho, from all I've been able to glean, you need not EVER pay to have agents or publishers look at your work. Its quality should speak for itself, and if they are interested in your submission (if indeed they are accepting submissions!) they will end up giving you the money, as it should be, not the other way round.

It shouldn't cost anything beyond paper and copying expenses to get your work looked at. Now if it's a workshop you're interested in -- where published authors help you polish your fiction -- that is another matter. I can see paying $$$ for that, if you think you need it (most do, whether they think they do or not). Something like that would be comparable to paying for a university course or two in fiction writing (which I did, much to the benefit of my craft, if not of my wallet). But real agents and publishers should not have to be "greased with cash" to look at prospective clients' work. The last Guide to Literary Agents I purchased (2005 edition, I think) warns against it.

Just my .02.:)

Tycho
08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm using The Writers' Market 2007 (and checking for updated information myself), which according to many I networked with at Comic Con and through other contacts I've made, is "the bible for getting published." They recommend doing conventions. "The Writers' Market" has been used in the industry for nearly 50 years.

Meanwhile, Chuxter, it's not whether your work can speak for itself (my novel is excellent and painstakingly crafted to be such) but it is whether they will even pick it up in the stack of material that piles into their offices every week - because like you said, everyone and their brother has a story to sell.

So if I spend an evening with someone at a social mixer, after identifying and meeting with the right people in those review sessions that you pay for, I can build that relationship so that when I phone them for a follow-up, I'll talk with them and not their assistant. Then they'll know something of me and my work, and go dig it out of their stack "of firewood," and actually give it serious consideration.

I have been submitting since last March when I completed MY NOVEL (http://www.myspace.com/seeyoulatergator1) and I have not gotten ONE rejection letter. Which means if no one's even said "we're not interested - so stop writing us," then no one's even read it. I have an author friend that said it was excellent though. And my grandpa said it's great, too (if anyone thinks my own grand-dad wouldn't be biased in favor of his grandson, hehe), but it's hard getting noticed. And I've gone above and beyond doing research for my story and crafting a very well-thought-out tale (see my photo blog on my website). When many of you went to the Star Wars Celebration 4, I went to Louisiana and traveled the paths of my characters and went where they go - and I took pictures of it. (There are no photo captions over there as of yet, because I don't want to spoil my own story!) But I have a lot more pictures to post. I've just had other work to do in the meanwhile.

But there are many things that I've done which add to the uniqueness of my work. So you'd think somebody from the industry would want to take a look at it? Go figure.

Yeah, I'm bound for the Writers' Conference.

El Chuxter
08-26-2008, 02:18 PM
T, were you responding to me, or to Old Fossil?

My point was, from what you've told me, you seem to have the initiative to market your manuscript in creative ways. So why spend money on a convention where you'd have to compete for the limited time agents and publishers have, rather than approaching them in a way that'd be more impressive and memorable to them? Or, even publish it yourself locally and market it yourself to Amazon and local bookstores (including local branches of places like B&N)?

Either way, this (http://www.amazon.com/How-Happily-Published-Judith-Appelbaum/dp/0062735098/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219774275&sr=8-1) should be in your library, if it isn't already. The title might sound doofy, but it's essentially the Bible on the subject.

Rocketboy
08-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Lulu.com (http://www.lulu.com/)
Congrats.
You're published.

You owe me $50.

Tycho
08-27-2008, 06:40 AM
I'm seeking mass-market support and advertising from a major publishing house. At least attaining that would be my first choice. There I stand the best chance of getting a movie deal offered as well.

Rocketboy
08-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm seeking mass-market support and advertising from a major publishing house. At least attaining that would be my first choice. There I stand the best chance of getting a movie deal offered as well.It's nice to see you're in this for all the right reasons. The best art is always produced when one is most concerned about fame and monetary gain.

Tycho
08-28-2008, 02:15 AM
I can't remember when I've ever seen someone who's successful ever not want anyone else to be successful also.

One way I'd measure success is by reaching the widest audience that I possibly can.

A large publishing house funds advances to get copies of a work into every bookselling outlet from the drug stores, Target and Wal-Mart, to the online houses like Amazon, to the traditional booksellers like Barnes and Nobel and Borders. They also pay for the artwork to be placed in many women's magazines like Vanity Fair, Vogue, Red Book, etc. as it has been determined statistically, that women read much more than men. I can (and will) privately finance such efforts if need be, but I would appreciate having the most experienced help in doing so, and also not having to risk my own finances from the outset as well.

I will see if I must compromise my work too much for my own tastes, to accomodate the commercial aspects of this business.

I wrote my novel first and foremost, for ME. I poured my anger and frustration with both aspects of my own life and those of negative attributes in my worldview that I'm surrouded by.

Secondly, I wrote my novel for men. Hasn't there been girls you've yearned for that stayed out of your reach while they ignored or hurt you, and never got to know you? Why are these alpha-queens so cruel and what motivates them to act this way? Did your friends or family ever tell you that it was this or that girl's loss that she never gave a chance to you? Well, what if it wasn't YOU afterall, but she really was manufacturing her own downward spiral? I have several versions of my lady characters just like that and it was my revenge to describe their miserable, unsatisfied lives and the pains they went through to start self-perpetuating them. I've learned much from my own dating experience.

Next, I took apart the hypocrisy in Christianity. I don't want to start a religious debate, but my novel quotes the Bible and demonstrates how in the early Jewish tradition, slavery was justified, as was the devaluing of non-Jewish races. Christianity surely carried this on when you look at the majority religion of most of the Southern slave owners - and half my novel is devoted to Civil War history. Furthermore, it seems that some of the very proponents of family values and traditional marriage, back their talk with only the complete opposite actions. Men might read my work and be forewarned that marriage is a terrible encroaching burden on their spirit, and love is an illusion, a lie, used as a con. Religion cannot undue real human nature, but it attempts to establish harmony by imprisoning what would be otherwise unchecked and uncontrolled spirits that would tear apart the social balance. In my novel, I unbind that spirit and tear apart that balance - slicing into the lies.

Finally, it wouldn't be my work if I did not perpetuate my political views and illustrate them by way of comparison to such issues as the reconstruction of Louisiana following Hurricane Katrina, and the issues of racism and poverty that the situation exposed. And there is much more, but this is not my novel here in a forums post, nor is this the Rancor Pit.

But I also wrote to bring my views larger exposure than just what I can say in the forums here, before a niche group of Star Wars collectors. It has been every philosophers' duty - whether you agree with them or not - to bring their beliefs and the lessons they wish to teach - out before the world. I will bring the truth to mankind (as opposed to human-kind, I am not writing for our enemies in the battle of the sexes) and I will dedicate my work to destroying religion and defeating neo-conservatism (which isn't conservatism anyway).

And for all the stoning I'll take, I'll enjoy it more if most just throw their money.

jjreason
08-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Boy oh boy, Tycho, it sounds like the feel-good hit of the summer!

Seriously though - are we talking "American Psycho" levels of disturbing content or what???

Tycho
08-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Boy oh boy, Tycho, it sounds like the feel-good hit of the summer!

Seriously though - are we talking "American Psycho" levels of disturbing content or what???

Oh yes. Actually I love "American Psycho." I was turned on to that movie after I wrote "The Library," as people thought they heard simalarities in some of the ideas I was expausing. My story is an action-adventure that plays out as might "National Treasure" (so I've heard- I haven't seen those pictures) and how I imagine Tomb Raider (meeting Basic Instinct perhaps), with "Glory" and some western mixed in. I wrote it to be action-packed and full of continuous excitement - and intrigue - with a good measure of sensuality at certain moments.

But yes, I made sure that all the disturbing content that I could think of made it into my story, as it is NOT meant to make its audience "feel good," but rather to think - and maybe feel bad about what actually is the depressing reality of life that we exist in.

When you are burdened by debt, are sick of playing by all the rules and never getting anywhere, and when you feel miserably trapped and used by your relationship with a significant other - or are paying the price of divorce from that partner - my novel will resonnate with you. Since this will eventually and practically describe everyone's life (unless they heed my warnings and become as smart as I am), I think my book should be very popular with men once it gains a reputation and the basic gist of it is known. Actually, women may like it for a very different reason, as they root for one of several of my lady characters and find sympathy for these lady-characters' nefarious goals. They'll see the smart, indpendent women types that many of us hated seeing in Hillary Clinton. Another name for them would be scheming B*****s of course.

2-1B
08-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Tycho, doesn't this seem at all like a waste of money or a scam? I'm just saying, go if you want, but the whole thing seems just a little bit fishy.

Yes, it does seem like a scam. Horrible waste of money and a ripoff on top of it.

JON9000
08-31-2008, 06:53 PM
It isn't that much money on the line. If it works out, that would be great, if it is a scam, oh, well, lesson learned.

I suppose my only question to the promoters would be how many book agents would be at the event, because those are the people who hold the keys.

I would advise working up a pitch line about the plot that can be delivered in 20 seconds, because that's about as long as I would want to listen to anybody, if there are hundreds of people there. Have your card and several copies of the manuscript. Talk to everybody because you never know who can help.

Tycho
09-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Yes, it does seem like a scam. Horrible waste of money and a ripoff on top of it.

No. These conferences are a standard part of the industry. They are listed in The Writers' Market - the bible for getting published - and all the agents list which conferences they attend. It's definitely not a scam. It's the politics of the business.

JON9000 - great suggestions. I am doing just what you said. Me explaining anything in 20 seconds is - well, I'm glad I have about a month to practice the impossible!

Tycho
09-30-2008, 12:25 PM
This was one of the most valuable and smartest things I've ever done!

I will post more about the writers' conference when I get the chance.

I have a lot of homework to do upon returning from it.

But that's because an entire audience of aspiring and newly published writers, and more importantly, industry professionals such as editors, agents, and publishers chose my work as exemplifying the VERY BEST!

I was video recorded reading from my work, and my effort was shown as an example of exactly WHAT TO DO.

But furthermore, I got a lot of help. My concept was loved, but a lot of my execution is being corrected - even including the way the action unfolds in the opening battle sequence of my book.

I have an editor.

I have several agents competing for me, and a couple "top agents" testing me out to see if I rise to their challenge.

I have one publisher that was so interested, their senior editor took my entire manuscript to review and make me an offer on!

October and November will be spent doing heavy editing.

My book could conceivably be published and out in time for Christmas.

sith_killer_99
09-30-2008, 12:57 PM
WOW, that is awesome T, keep us in the loop!

I so want a copy of this, and I'll be sharing it with my wife. Actually she'll probably finish reading it before me, she burns through books so quickly I can never keep up. This is a woman who finished "Battlefield Earth" in one day!!!

Anyway, I am am glad to hear it went so well, and I'm sure we are all looking forward to updates.:yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow, glad to hear it went so well. I'll be first in line when it gets released! :D

bobafrett
09-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm getting a personally autographed copy!

JediTricks
10-08-2008, 02:37 AM
That's cool. Still not really clear on what went down with this though.

So, what did these folks think, keep it 1 book or split it into 2?

Tycho
10-08-2008, 04:22 PM
That's cool. Still not really clear on what went down with this though.

So, what did these folks think, keep it 1 book or split it into 2?

They are proceeding with my original 1 book plan. They think that with proper Microsoft formatting (which I didn't know how to do the way they want it - before the conference anyway), I will reduce my page count from 505. With editing, it could be closer to 450, but I've also been requested to change some things that definitely require me to add some stuff besides delete other things. So right now, we don't know how long the edited project will be.

But folks were very interested in my theme of history repeating itself and how I set up some events (at specific locations, too) to hauntingly match. I was inspired by Star Wars, definitely (the Jedi vs. Sith duels fought before Palpatine, and orchestrated by him - ROTS and ROTJ). So anyway, ALL the industry professionals I spoke with and had review my work want to keep it contained in one story, as I'd originally planned. The agents will argue my case with the publishers (though one actual publisher liked it the way it was and took an entire manuscript. They might be my final publisher - after my edit though).

I should note: this edit (by a pro who I will reveal shortly, once I have a contract with him - then you use that as an advertising PLUS) will take approximately all October and part of November (during which the first month I will be recovering from my kidney transplant and may or may not be able to get a lot of work done). Then in November, I may or may not be scooper up by a publisher. I will have to take some time to see what offers I might get. It often takes months, and I have to be careful not to jump too quickly. That will be hard when I've already established a relationship with one publishing company who I think really wants it (when it's edited). Now they might balk when the final size of the work is determined, or other companies might (and then we go back to "let's split the novel in 2." - Grrrrrrrrr :mad:

But decisions I will have to weigh are:

- How big is the company and how much advertising power to they have?
(a large company like Random House can rent the space right behind the front door of every Barnes and Nobel - with a great book cover and posters - everyone will see my work).

- Is the company going to say "300-350 pages only please." Then is that spot behind the front door worth it, or do I want to keep my work in its original form (probably, but the marketing power of a big company is very tempting. And don't forget, a big company hasn't said "No" to my 505 pages (soon to be a little less) as of YET.

- Will they offer me residuals and peripheral sales ownership. George Lucas took that and hence makes money off our Star Wars action figures. I don't want to give the book company those benefits: I created my own characters. Though my story shouldn't inspire a toy line. That'd be pretty strange. (But it could be done - still, this would be an "R-rated" movie and it's definitely an "X-rated book" - at least until a publisher makes the final call on certain scenes. - Don't worry, I'll post the original text on www.MySpace.com/seeyoulatergator1 - and I can link there now, because there's no inappropriate material there - yet. Friend request "The Library" today!).

But I've got my work cut out for me, and in between dialysis treatments and heavy medications, too. What? "The rabbit ate a purple Volkswagon by Megatron's command." OK, I'm better now. Really. [Burp!]

But I must run at the moment. I'm either late for a medical treatment or I'm participating in the Iron Man competition. You decide which you will believe.

Catch up with you later.

JediTricks
10-09-2008, 05:13 AM
- How big is the company and how much advertising power to they have?
(a large company like Random House can rent the space right behind the front door of every Barnes and Nobel - with a great book cover and posters - everyone will see my work).Interesting you should mention that. I was recently sent the following link, and buried in this rather grim take on the literature world is a fascinating approach to how much they'll spend on advertising:
http://www.benjaminhoffauthor.com/essay.htm

Bottom line, it's not about the money they have, but the money they're looking to recover - the more you make them pay you for the book, the more they'll spend to advertise it in the hopes of making it back.

- Is the company going to say "300-350 pages only please." Then is that spot behind the front door worth it, or do I want to keep my work in its original form (probably, but the marketing power of a big company is very tempting. And don't forget, a big company hasn't said "No" to my 505 pages (soon to be a little less) as of YET.I wonder if what Lucas pulled on Fox's execs when they shot down the title "Star Wars" could work if they asked for major cuts. (He said "have any suggestions on what to use?" and they didn't, so Star Wars it stayed.)

El Chuxter
10-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Tycho, I'm pretty sure I've told you before--unless you're a Tom Clancy, you're going to have to do most of the marketing legwork yourself.

Tycho
10-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm prepared to do a lot of the marketing legwork myself. I fortunately have resources of my own. (at this moment I just opened the link JT posted, but haven't read it yet - give me a couple minutes on that one please - but thank you JT).

Meanwhile Chux: Tom Clancy didn't start off being "Tom Clancy" (the household name). It's a struggle and I am prepared to join in that battle.

JT: I couldn't read all of that, as I'm busy and getting depressed by it would slow me down. But fortunately, I do not have to rely on my writing for a source of income. Any success I have could be a bonus for doing something I enjoy. Now, if my work is torn apart, that may not be something I enjoy. But at this point, I am now working with a professional editor whose vision is about the same as my own. I will also have the freedom of room to move should I not want to compromise. Add to that, I can make expenditures to promote my own work if I and my lawyer deem it a good move.

El Chuxter
10-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant. If you are an unknown (and, despite any contacts you have, you're an unknown), don't count on the publishers to spend much, if anything, on marketing. You've got to do a lot yourself to keep it from being like one of those books that came out a decade ago and is still on every bookstore's clearance rack for $1.

JediTricks
10-13-2008, 04:07 AM
I'm prepared to do a lot of the marketing legwork myself. I fortunately have resources of my own. (at this moment I just opened the link JT posted, but haven't read it yet - give me a couple minutes on that one please - but thank you JT).

Meanwhile Chux: Tom Clancy didn't start off being "Tom Clancy" (the household name). It's a struggle and I am prepared to join in that battle.

JT: I couldn't read all of that, as I'm busy and getting depressed by it would slow me down. But fortunately, I do not have to rely on my writing for a source of income. Any success I have could be a bonus for doing something I enjoy. Now, if my work is torn apart, that may not be something I enjoy. But at this point, I am now working with a professional editor whose vision is about the same as my own. I will also have the freedom of room to move should I not want to compromise. Add to that, I can make expenditures to promote my own work if I and my lawyer deem it a good move.The short version is that the more he got paid for a book advance, the more the company would spend on advertising trying to make it back; and that people in these companies are fools. :p