PDA

View Full Version : Bane Malar AFA Graded

BaneMalar
08-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a good AFA graded Bane Malar figure other than on ebay?

bigbarada
08-24-2008, 09:33 PM
You can buy one and send him in to AFA yourself.
http://www.toygrader.com/submissionform.aspx

It's not free to have it graded by AFA and could probably take weeks or months for you to get your figure back. And there is no guarantee that AFA will grade the figure the way you want. There is also the chance that it could get lost or damaged in transit.

Other than that, maybe online stores like Brian's Toys might have one available in a few months or years.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Or you could buy the goddamn figure and not worry about what some idiotic, inane grading panel thinks about it.

Slicker
08-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Or you could buy the goddamn figure and not worry about what some idiotic, inane grading panel thinks about it.Amen to that. If you look at it and it looks great then it is great. Why have someone TELL you it's good? If that's the case send me $20 and the figure and I'll grade it for ya.

jjreason
08-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Or you could buy the goddamn figure and not worry about what some idiotic, inane grading panel thinks about it.

Why so serious, Snips? :mad::D

cookiemonster
08-27-2008, 10:38 PM
I can see JJL's reasoning, it is a bran new figure, still in the shops - so theres no need for grading, if you cant tell yourself if something looks good then dont buy it - I think AFA is the biggest con game going, and that includes Vintage AFA as well, if you cant look at a figure and know it is worth ex, then you shouldnt be buying that figure.

bigbarada
09-01-2008, 01:54 AM
if you cant look at a figure and know it is worth ex, then you shouldnt be buying that figure.

Well, that's the problem with vintage figures. If you only buy items that you can physically hold and inspect first, then you're collection is going to be extremely small.

I guess some people might be lucky enough to have collector's shops or periodic comic book conventions in their area, but most of us have to rely on the internet to build our collections. And you learn quickly that not everyone grades toys the same way.

For me personally, I would grade the average figure that is bought off of a store shelf as C-9. They would have minor flaws, factory defects, or bends that just come from being handled by store employees. C-8 or C-8.5 for those that show noticeable shelf wear or dings from being dropped by kids and then put back. C-9.5 would be those rare stellar condition figures that are nearly perfect and flaws aren't easy to spot. C-10 should be a standard that is so high that you will only see a figure in this condition once or twice every few years; but you could conceivably go your whole collecting life without ever seeing a true C-10 figure.

However, some people on Ebay are very loose with the terms "C-10," "like new" or "mint." Some of them are deliberately deceitful others just don't have a good eye for details. Still others have their own C-grade scale and they'll grade a C-6.5 or C-7 figure as a C-9.5 and it's correct going by their personal grading scale; but wouldn't grade that high by anyone else. So it really becomes a crapshoot when buying over the internet. And I'm sure everyone here has some horror stories of stuff they've bought off of Ebay.

I think the concept behind AFA started out as a good one, create one unified grading scale that would become the standard across the whole hobby, but it's taken on a life of it's own and is doing some real damage to the hobby.

However, everyone has their own collecting goals and it's not really my place to pass judgement on others for wanting AFA graded items for their collection. We should all be in this for the fun of it and if someone wants to spend the extra money on an AFA graded figure, then who are we to say that they're wrong? Is buying the exact same figure 100 times in order to build a little plastic army any better?

bigbarada
09-01-2008, 02:08 AM
I've been going over the prices on the AFA website and it's not cheap to get even a single action figure graded. From what I could see, it's a minimum of $18 for one carded action figure and you won't get your figure back for 30-40 business days (which could add up to a couple of months).

So if you do decide to go for one on Ebay, then just take into account the AFA fees when bidding. So if it's $7 for the figure, plus a minimum of $18 ($24-$30 if they used the faster services, which they would have to if they were selling them on Ebay right now), would equal $25 minimum for one AFA graded 2008 action figure.

If you do get an AFA graded Bane Malar for under $25, then just realize that you got a good deal.

TheRealDubya
09-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Here you go Bane, get after it. 1st day sticker and everything.

PARTY (http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Legacy-1st-Day-Bane-Malar-AFA-U90_W0QQitemZ300255753524QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2476QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)