PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for purchases on Ebay, if want to get the warranty for it.

scruffziller
08-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I bought a Sony Blu-Ray drive from a vendor on Ebay. Looks like a business that has it's own retail establishment for top notch, custom, computers. http://myworld.ebay.com/lypc2006

I update the firmware on the drive and now the drive will not recognize Blu-Ray disks. It recognizes DVDs and CDs fine. I followed the instructions to the tee and it even said the update was successful.

I had even registered the drive for warranty, no problem online.

I contact Sony tech support and they tell me they cannot provide warranty or tech support because it was purchased on ebay.

Now as a veteran internet shopper, I know to purchase high end electronics on the internet, knowing that the item is brand new. So this I would not expect. I would think there is a way to verify somewhere down the line of this being a dealer purchase. That would have to be the guy I got it from. Hopefully.

scruffziller
08-26-2008, 09:39 AM
The guy I bought it from has offered me to have it returned. So that is a relief.

Blue2th
08-26-2008, 11:02 AM
They changed feedback policies on ebay. Do to too many complaints by buyers over unscrupulous sellers, the seller cannot leave negative feedback anymore, and hold it over your head as a threat of retaliation so you pretty much got him by the balls.

scruffziller
08-30-2008, 03:00 PM
My brother tells me that possibly the reason why Sony denied me support from an Ebay purchase is that Audio/Video companies like Sony use price mapping for their products. This ensures that their dealers obtain profitability; in which a minimum price is set. If a dealer is caught selling below the set minimum, then Sony can revoke their partnership.
The dealerships would undercut a price on a item to draw in business. There are many of these folks on Ebay.
So if you were to purchase something on the internet, check to make sure the one you are buying from is an authorized dealer. It could vary from product to product and company to company. So an Ebay purchase may not be totally invalid.

JediTricks
08-30-2008, 03:25 PM
My guess is more likely that there's no way to verify that it was bought new instead of used. The warranty is non-transferable most likely, and ebay is full of goods bought from another customer.

scruffziller
09-01-2008, 12:36 AM
My guess is more likely that there's no way to verify that it was bought new instead of used. The warranty is non-transferable most likely, and ebay is full of goods bought from another customer.
Yes, but they could track the serial number of the item. If it was manufactured only a month ago, that would be some rather solid proof. Granted, the purchase receipt from a Best Buy would be the extra consideration that the serial number wasn't jotted down from someone looking in the box at the store.

JediTricks
09-02-2008, 10:02 PM
It's legalese, you could claim it was broken not through your negligence but through the previous owners' if they never registered it. They should support their products no matter what, but when it comes to lasers and high tech gadgetry, I'm not surprised they want to be careful since it costs so much to support it.

2-1B
09-03-2008, 12:55 AM
ebay is full of goods bought from another customer.

and goods stolen off the back of a delivery truck or through the back door of a warehouse.

Blue2th
09-03-2008, 04:59 AM
The guy I bought it from has offered me to have it returned. So that is a relief.
I would do just that. No warranty, no deal.