PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Questions

Nightside
08-26-2008, 10:47 AM
I didn't see a good thread to ask the following question, so I thought I'd start a new one.

Question: What is the deal with the pop-out engine thingy on the Republic Cruiser? Am I missing something? What exactly is this action feature supposed to replicate?

Blue2th
08-26-2008, 12:40 PM
If I remember correctly I think it's to show the engines on burn?
I packed mine up to make room for other Titaniums on my shelf though so I can't double check.

JediTricks
08-26-2008, 10:24 PM
It's the engines pulsing on and off. Pretty "meh" really, I believe the Action Fleet version also had this "feature".

cloneemperor
08-30-2008, 03:25 AM
It sure did. Most exciting feature ever.

Nightside
09-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the info. What a lame use of engineering.

sergiurusu
09-03-2008, 02:46 AM
It's the engines pulsing on and off. Pretty "meh" really, I believe the Action Fleet version also had this "feature".

I guess on the Action fleet was mostly because of the size of the ship, which with engines on was too long for the package.

cloneemperor
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
On the Action Fleet, flipping the switch did nothing to the size of the ship. You slide the switch to the back to bring the "Engine On Effect" (or whatever they called it)to the back of the engines so it could be visible. Slide the switch to the front of the ship to move the engine effect away from the back of the engines to simulate them being off. I've attached a picture with the engines in the off position, but apparently I didn't take a picture in the on position.

Nightside
09-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Another question: I've found a couple of the original Galoob die-cast ships at thrift shops and was wondering what type of display stand they originally came with. They don't fit well on the current Titanium stands. What did the old Galoob die-cast stands look like?

Darth Duranium
09-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Nightside, it depends:

Some of them (like the Executor) came with a stand... they're usually blue with a clear stem and say "Star Wars" but some are black ; Some black ones have "Star Wars Action Fleet" on 'em, some don't ;

Most have no raised "rainbow" writing on 'em... just flat blue or black.

Some Ep 1 ships didn't come with stands at all.

The AF Alpha smaller ships will fit on the TS stands too, but it's hit or miss finding stands that fit right, with no lurching over.

The black AF Battle Pack stands are similar to the TS ones except that there's no rainbow printing on some of 'em and they usually say SW AF.

I find that I've had to shuffle stands around to find ones that'll work for various ships... there can be quite a lot of variation in the peg and hole size.

And I've never found a stand that fits the green TS A-Wing properly... I bought 2 and neither will sit quite right due to the stupid hole.

Check out Warstar's (long forgotten?) list for ship details.

Darth Windu
09-21-2008, 04:51 AM
They should all fit on the new stands perfectly. The ISD, Executor, Ep1 Naboo Cruiser, Naboo Starfighter, MTT, AAT, X-wing (old), TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor etc etc are all re-packs from the old Galoob line - they haven't been modified to fit new stands.

shinakuma43
09-21-2008, 12:03 PM
The original Trilogy Die Cast Galoob Ships all initialy came with stands. They 1st had blue stands with "Star Wars" in silver, later to save money I guess they stopped coloring "Star Wars" so it was blue like the stands. The latter releases of wave 2 were then released with no stands to save more money I guess. None of the 8 E1 ships were ever released with stands. If someone has a picture of a packaged one with a stand I'd like to see it.

The black stands that say Action Fleet are actually not from the Die Cast series, they are from the Action Fleet Battle packs like the Escape Pod, Speederbikes, or Swoops. The DC Ships do fit on them well though, but they never came with them packaged.

If you look at the plastic on the DC ships that won't fit well on the stands you will probably find that the plastic hole has cracked. The old Galoob versions seem to have been made with cheap plastic that easily cracks causing the ships to not stay well on the stands. I haven't seen any of the hasbro ships with that problem yet (the only improvement I've seen since Hasbro took Galoob over).

StbrianofMinneapolis
09-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Does anyone know if the Titanium AOTC Naboo Royal Cruiser is still on the shelves? I havent been paying attention to the line, but I do love this ship!

Nightside
09-26-2008, 03:23 PM
StbrianofMinneapolis, I haven't seen that one in stores for a few months now around here (Wisconsin).

Nightside
10-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Opinion question for you Titanium fans - How much detail is too much detail?

Personally, I'm all for detail but I still don't understand the point of having an opening cockpit when:

1) The interior of the cockpit is not detailed at all AND/OR
2) There's no little figure to put in the cockpit AND/OR
3) The cockpit opens in a way that is not correct (ARC fighter, AT-ST, etc.) AND/OR
4) The opening cockpit necessitates a hinge that takes away from the design (Delta Jedi Starfighters)

And landing gear is a great idea, but again there are problems, like when the landing gear refuses to stay stowed or when it can't really be stowed at all. The Sith Infiltrator would look sooo much better if they'd just left off the landing gear.

What do you all think? How much detail is too much?

JediTricks
11-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I love the opening cockpits, even when there's no figure. The imagination can fill in that little blank. But the empty cockpits of the Ep 3 Jedi Starfighter, no details, that is just a waste of time.

Features are what keep me interesting in this line, moving parts keep this a toy instead of a statue. I'll take the hinge on the Landspeeder's opening hatch over nothing. Sometimes it can be taken too far, but I like the Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter design. If the BSG Mk 2 Viper didn't have that opening cockpit, it'd be less exciting a toy - the Mk 7 doesn't have one and is duller for it.

The Sith Infiltrator landing gear is a problem on EVERY SINGLE version of that ship, I don't know why but designers cannot seem to get that thing to have landing gear that doesn't suck. With my original Galoob version of the mold, I unscrewed the ship and removed the front 2 legs. This was a rarity though (he said, not admitting he also took the landing gear out of the Action Fleet Radiant VII :p), I prefer landing gear to not.

Keep in mind, whether we see it or not, kids are why this line continues, they buy this stuff too and Hasbro either keeps making compromises for their interests or lets the line fold.

Darth Windu
11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
I actually like the opening cockpit on the Ep3 fighter, thought it would be awesome to have a mini-figure to put in there. Not a fan of the opening cockpit on the Ep2 fighter for two reasons. Firstly it screws with the lines of the ship, and secondly hasbro stuffed up on the interior detail.

Mind you they thought my suggestion of a larger Ep2 fighter with no hyperspace ring was a good one (hopefully with landing gear) so you never know. :-)

Oh with the landing gear issue it's a bit of an odd one, because Galoob screwed up so badly on the Sith Infiltrator landing gear, and yet the gear on the Naboo Cruiser and Naboo Starfighter are superb. Go figure.

Darth Duranium
11-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I had the same danglin' landing gear issues with the Green A-Wing (bought 2, both messed up) and some of the early X-Wings, too.

Curiously, both my Galoob and TS Infiltrator's landing gear were ok. Hmmm. What drives me nuts is that they both sag forward on their stands! Saggage sucks.

Nightside, if you're looking for a TS-sized Infiltrator without landing gear, you might try the AF Alpha prototype one... though the hole's a little big for a TS stand. I found one that works ok for me.

As for cockpits, I'm with JT... I like 'em to open, even if I rarely do so. Not so concerned about the interior detail, but they should open correctly (unlike the ARC), IMHO. Hinges are ok with me... unavoidable. I do like figures in the cockpit... the AF were good for that.

I was astounded that the Ultras didn't come with any figures... Hasbro lamented that it might have cost them a lot of kid business and killed the line. Now Hasbro's turned around and done the same thing with the SW Transformers ships.

Erm, duh.

I was quite pleased to see that there were pilots in the Cloud Car... that's a TS first, ain't it?

Darth Windu
11-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Nope, the TIE Fighter (I think) has a pilot in it.

DarkArtist
11-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I didn't see a good thread to ask the following question, so I thought I'd start a new one.

Question: What is the deal with the pop-out engine thingy on the Republic Cruiser? Am I missing something? What exactly is this action feature supposed to replicate?

this is news to me. i have a republic crusier and can't remember there being any action thingie attached. i remember the AF version did but don't remember it on the TS version. anyone have a pick of this on the TS version

Nightside
11-07-2008, 03:34 PM
this is news to me. i have a republic crusier and can't remember there being any action thingie attached. i remember the AF version did but don't remember it on the TS version. anyone have a pick of this on the TS version

There's a switch on the bottom of the cruiser. When you slide the switch the centers of the engines pop out a bit. Nothing spectacular, which is why I wondered what the point was.

JediTricks
11-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Both the Die Cast and Action Fleet versions have this, it's "glowing" action. In the movie, when the ship lands on the Trade Fed battleship, the engines are pulsing on and off before it gets blown to smitherines. The ship is so narrow that they couldn't get other features into it, so they went with the only thing they had room for. And it still sucks.