PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Books / Comics Seem Too Cliche Or Formulaic To Me Now.

Tycho
08-26-2008, 06:09 PM
The powers in charge need to shake things up a little. I just finished The Force Unleashed, and it ended predictably, everything fitting into a neat little package.

In The Last of the Jedi books, Palpatine was scheming to lure his enemies out by creating the Rebel Alliance himself (through his agents). Palpatine should also be shown using the threat of Rebellion to raise taxes and strengthen occupying Imperial garrisons - just like he used the Separatist cause to justify creating the Grand Army and his stay in power to manage the Civil War and create the Empire. The Force Unleashed didn't really add anything too new to this. Juno Eclipse went from Imperial Agent to predictably softening up. Starkiller wasn't actually revealed to be anyone definitive - like the rumors of him being Quinlan Vos' son - which would have been seriously cool.

Speaking of Vos, there lies a perfect example of what I mean - he winds up a good guy in the end. OK - he was a really well-written character and that's fine. But what if he'd gone bad and killed his comrades instead? The ultimate betrayer? I guess they did that with A'Sharad Hett, but there wasn't that much told of his descent to the Dark Side except in flashbacks, when he was already Darth Krayyt.

And why is Jacen Solo (Darth Caedus) stopped? Why not have him bring a whole new evil back into power for a while and tell stories of the bad guys winning?

Let's shake it up some more. (And how does Shaak-Ti know that Darth Vader was Anakin Skywalker anyway?)

BaneMalar
08-26-2008, 07:56 PM
I was thinking about picking this series up but that whole era of the star wars universe is almost too boring to me...mainly because nothing amazing happens.

OC47150
08-26-2008, 08:30 PM
You meant Legacy of the Jedi, didn't you, Tycho?

I have to agree to a certain extent, Tycho. I think the quality of the book 1) depends on the writer and 2) the actual storyline.

There are great SW writers: Zahn, Allston, Traviss, Watson, Stackpole, to name a few. Then there are others who are so-so. I'll be a gentleman and won't name names. :yes:

Let's face it: there have been some books written when, reading the dust jacket, they sound great. But once you get into them, the excitement and interest just doesn't materialize. (I can say this about non-SW books, too. One that I read last summer was the Boys of Pointe du Hoc.) One SW book that comes to mind is Shatterpoint. It was one of the worst SW novels I've read. If the editor trimmed 50 or so pages out, it might've been better.

Death Star was one of the best SW novels I've read in a long time. Allegiance was enjoyable, too.

In Watson's Last of the Jedi young adolescent books, I thought I had the ending figured out, but I was wrong, so that was a nice change.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Bump! [that was no laser blast... Han get up here! ]

I was in Barnes and/or Noble yesterday, and they had a decent-sized table display of SW stuff (books, puzzles, figures, sticker/activity books, bookmarks, games, clock, et al). Several of these were ESB-related. So, for the "cliche or formulaic" part migth be that the general public (tenderness, where is it? ;) ) only knows or cares about the OT plot and characters and has virtually no knowledge or desire to read about EU other storylines.

But check out the stuff there if you wish: the clock, the Yoda phrases figure and book, some of the bookmarks. These looked neato.

OC47150
11-07-2010, 06:22 PM
B&N and Books a Million tend to have nice SW book displays. I was at B&N within the last two months and spent about 30 minutes flipping through the Year by Year book.

Tycho
11-09-2010, 02:32 AM
The Year By Year book is a must-have for Star Wars fans!

I'm so glad I bought this.