PDA

View Full Version : Where are all of the A-Wings?

Darkross
08-27-2008, 06:19 AM
I have scoured this Wal-Mart and that Wal-Mart...and even that Wal-Mart...and I can't find them anywhere. Are they out or did I miss them altogether? I got a BMF Falcon (seeing them everywhere), the B-Wing and some figs...however no A-Wings at all in sight. I thought they were coming out on July 26th? Nope...at least not at any of the Wal-Marts I've been to...in 5 different cities.

Also...does anyone have the UPC code or DPCI # on this item? I have the SKU...however I was told by a Wal-Mart employee that the UPC or DPCI # would be more useful, since they can't search on SKU#. What the ? I have always relied on SKU# in the past...so why not now?

Blue2th
08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
They got delayed till November or something like that.

Neuroleptic
08-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah, that's what I heard too (that the A-wing was delayed).

I was ticked off when I saw it appear on E-bay a few weeks ago, not once, but twice by two different sellers listed as 'in hand to ship' or something like that.

My thought was "WTF?"

Blue2th
08-27-2008, 09:53 AM
They were probably sellers from Hog Kong or China.

sebillba
08-27-2008, 10:13 AM
TRU in the UK had them 26th July, but they were all gone last time I was there.

cookiemonster
08-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah I was after the A-Wing Pilot and someone was going to sell me it until, he went and tried to get an A-Wing, he was told by someone Nov release date, at the earliest - now saying that Hasbro could release it next week - there scheduling is all shot this year.

jawa39
09-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi guys!...I am new here but this post caught my attention. My wife called from Wal Mart in town (Connellsville, Pa.) late this evening and said that there was a guy putting A Wings on an end cap. I am heading over in the am before work and have a look see. lets hope she is right!!!

bigbarada
09-10-2008, 02:16 AM
Hi guys!...I am new here but this post caught my attention. My wife called from Wal Mart in town (Connellsville, Pa.) late this evening and said that there was a guy putting A Wings on an end cap. I am heading over in the am before work and have a look see. lets hope she is right!!!

Even though it was close to 1 AM, the instant I read this I jumped in my car and drove 10 miles to the nearest Super Wal-Mart to see if they were stocking these. No luck of course, but that just goes to show how much I'm looking forward to this new A-Wing.

Some will say, "It's just another A-Wing, what's the big deal?" But it's not just another A-Wing release. It's the first truly film accurate paint job for the vehicle and, most importantly, it's the very first time that we are getting a proper Arvel Crynyd figure with the correct A-Wing Pilot helmet.

For someone who's been a fan of Green Leader from my very first viewing of ROTJ in the 80s, this is a very big deal. Yes, even bigger than the BMF Falcon and the AT-TE in my mind.

DarkJedi5
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I know what you mean BigB. I've been collecting since about 1986 (just before the ROTJ stuff disappeared) and for one reason or another I never got my hands on an A-Wing. It's the only on screen fighter vehcile from the OT that I'm missing and the fact that it comes with our second film accurate A-Wing pilot (first with the propper helmet!) makes it just that much more of a plus.

DarkArtist
09-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I too am looking forward to getting the new A-Wing and pilot. I have the original POTF A-Wing from '97 and the repaint EU A-Wing as well. at one point i had the original Droids line A-Wing with Pilot in mint condition but it got lost along with most of my Kenner stuff when i was growing up.

jawa39
09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Man! I just went out to investigate. NO A WINGS! Just B Wings and Obi Wans Star Fghter. Did buy the Star Fighter, I had to buy something!!:D

DarkJedi5
09-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Man! I just went out to investigate. NO A WINGS! Just B Wings and Obi Wans Star Fghter. Did buy the Star Fighter, I had to buy something!!:D

Jawa, if you saw B-Wings and Obi's starfighter you were at a TRU? The A-Wing is a WM exclusive....

jawa39
09-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I was wrong. I typed B wings, I meant V Wings. The item I bought is the Obi Wan Starfighter (no halo). I cant figure out how to post an image so here is the link to it in my photobucket: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f390/RGratson/newstuffsept027.jpg

JediTricks
09-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Jawa, you'll need a few more posts under your belt to attach photos, but that photobucket method is fine.

Anybody have one yet? Hasbro's time frame on this one was November as of Comic-Con, so I haven't been looking - WM is very far from here.

jawa39
09-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Nothing here yet. They have a lot of vehicles stacked up but no A wings!!! darn it! I think they are exppecting a Star Wars Christmas around here. I LIKE IT!!!!:razz:

Neuroleptic
09-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I havn't seen them in Manhattan Kansas yet. I'm hell bent on getting one. It, and two other figures slated to come out around the same time (Clone wars C-3PO and FX-6) are the last purchases I plan to make this year for my collection.

I have never owned an A-wing, so the idea of getting one with a good pilot and a re-tooled cockpit makes me thrilled! This is the vehicle I am excited to see come out this year, and third of three vehicles I have been eger to buy since the POTJ target exclusive B-wing.

jediguy
10-08-2008, 05:36 PM
I found the A Wing today in a WalMart near Des Moines, Iowa

selling price $29.96

to me, it looks incomplete
no weathering, it does not have the little clear plastic parts that the vintage and POTF2 versions had in the engine

really, the only difference I see is that the cockpit control panel has more colors

kind of a disappointment

bigbarada
10-08-2008, 08:24 PM
No weathering at all? AWESOME!!!:thumbsup:

How's the pilot look?

cookiemonster
10-08-2008, 08:42 PM
I just want the pilot couldnt give a monkeys about the ship.

TheDarthVader
10-08-2008, 09:30 PM
My wal mart does not have these out yet...big surprise. I will probably never see them. I am telling yall, something fishy is going on with exclusives at my wal mart. It could be.....scalpers!! or workers!! I am getting tired of it though.

bigbarada
10-08-2008, 10:16 PM
My wal mart does not have these out yet...big surprise. I will probably never see them. I am telling yall, something fishy is going on with exclusives at my wal mart. It could be.....scalpers!! or workers!! I am getting tired of it though.

My Wal-Mart hasn't gotten a single exclusive this year.:cry: No Evolutions sets, no Clone Wars Gunship, nothing.:upset:

Maradona
10-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Never found one in Los Angeles.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-08-2008, 11:27 PM
My Wal-Mart hasn't gotten a single exclusive this year.:cry: No Evolutions sets, no Clone Wars Gunship, nothing.:upset:
There were no exclusive evolution sets, and the gunship is just now barely starting to show up, so I'd turn that frown upside down, mister! :D

bigbarada
10-08-2008, 11:39 PM
There were no exclusive evolution sets, and the gunship is just now barely starting to show up, so I'd turn that frown upside down, mister! :D

Well I knew that about the Evolutions, but I worded it weird. My Wal-Mart has also never received a single wave of Vintage-Style figures. I think they just don't order stuff the way they should. But they got lots of Millennium Falcons and AT-TEs and those are still just sitting around.

I'm seeing these start to show up on Ebay now and in the Illinois/Iowa area to boot. I'm so tempted to just buy one off of Ebay for $40-$50 and avoid all the stress of trying to track this one down. With gas prices like they are and the nearest Wal-Mart being 10 miles away, I might actually save money buying off of Ebay.

Umbra
10-09-2008, 02:20 AM
I didn't realize these weren't that common yet, i walked into walmart on monday and they had at least a dozen, i looked it over and looked good, but i've pretty much had to forsake vehicles in lieu of space issues. Only one I have in my sights i a republic gunship

JediTricks
10-09-2008, 05:05 AM
to me, it looks incomplete
it does not have the little clear plastic parts that the vintage and POTF2 versions had in the engineHonestly, those clear parts are totally inaccurate, they're only on the vintage one for the light-up gimmick, and I assume they're only on the POTF2 version as a misunderstanding.
The no-weathering thing is killing my interest in this piece though, especially since I just dug out the POTF2 version.

jediguy
10-09-2008, 07:49 AM
How's the pilot look?

to be honest, I don't have any reference pictures to compare the figure to
all I remember him from the movie was him screaming right before his ship crashed into the bridge of the Executor

I can say that his helmet looks nice and movie accurate

I totally forgot that the engines lit up on the vintage one! :rolleyes:
it's been so long since I had one in my possession :(
but it really does look like it's missing something back there

I agree that this could have been just the carded figure, and I would have been happier

bobafrett
10-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Had a dozen or so A-Wings at my Wal-Mart store here in Illinois. They either came in on the truck the previous night, or were in backstock, but the MOD had no place on the shelf for them, and since we are getting into Christmas mode, we put up risers in the toy department, and have started putting up toys that aren't on the mod, or are overstock on the risers.

bigbarada
10-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Actually, the engines didn't light up on the vintage A-Wing. I should know, I've owned a grand total of five of them over the years. The only electronics it had was the typical vintage "battle alert" sound and it's pretty hard to find one where that actually still works. I think those clear sections on the engines were just for structural integrity of that ring to help keep them from getting crushed during play. Or maybe it was an intended light-up feature that was scrapped for budget reasons when interest in the line started to plummet.

Just like the POTF2 version, the only thing inside those clear portions is a screw holding the clear portions in place.

jedi master sal
10-09-2008, 12:46 PM
... I think those clear sections on the engines were just for structural integrity of that ring to help keep them from getting crushed during play. Or maybe it was an intended light-up feature that was scrapped for budget reasons when interest in the line started to plummet.

Just like the POTF2 version, the only thing inside those clear portions is a screw holding the clear portions in place.

I have to agree with you here BB.

JediTricks
10-09-2008, 06:02 PM
I totally forgot that the engines lit up on the vintage one! :rolleyes:
it's been so long since I had one in my possession :(
but it really does look like it's missing something back thereThe movie design is how the new one is though, I had the MPC model from '83, it was a ring without a thing in the middle.

Actually, the engines didn't light up on the vintage A-Wing. I should know, I've owned a grand total of five of them over the years. The only electronics it had was the typical vintage "battle alert" sound and it's pretty hard to find one where that actually still works. I think those clear sections on the engines were just for structural integrity of that ring to help keep them from getting crushed during play. Or maybe it was an intended light-up feature that was scrapped for budget reasons when interest in the line started to plummet.I believe they were designed for a light-up gimmick, I didn't realize it was not used. The box art on the front even suggests this, having the clear part be an orangey plume.

But clearly, it's not structural integrity because the new one doesn't have it.

TheDarthVader
10-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Wait. Someone says the new one has the clear part and JT says no. ???? I am confused again.

bigbarada
10-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Wait. Someone says the new one has the clear part and JT says no. ???? I am confused again.

The clear parts that went underneath the engine rings on all the previous releases are not present on this version.

I'm actually confused, because every A-Wing I've seen on Ebay so far has a weathered paint job on it. I thought it was said that there was no weathering at all on this one.

One of the sellers on Ebay was nice enough to send me this close up photo of the new Arvel Crynyd figure. He looks really good. The uniform is exactly the same as last year's Tycho figure, but at least the face looks good and he's finally got the correct helmet.

cookiemonster
10-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Hence the reason why I want the A-Wing Pilot and couldnt careless about the A-Wing.

x13squadleader
10-10-2008, 07:12 PM
well i found mine at walmart in grand rapids michigan.cant believe it was $30. and its $50 for the gunship.:cry:

bigbarada
10-10-2008, 11:43 PM
I'll have to drive around a bit tomorrow and see if I can find one. It's really the last Star Wars toy I need to buy this year.

cookiemonster
10-11-2008, 09:24 AM
I was out yesterday and went from Toys'R Us, Target and 2 Walmarts and didnt see this, I know they're out in England already, but havent seen any in my neck of the woods.

bigbarada
10-11-2008, 10:27 AM
I was out yesterday and went from Toys'R Us, Target and 2 Walmarts and didnt see this, I know they're out in England already, but havent seen any in my neck of the woods.

Well, it's a Wal-Mart exclusive, so you're not going to find them in TRU or Target.

cookiemonster
10-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Good Point, lol. But I still checked 2 Walmarts as well and no luck there either.

Hopefully you will have better luck when you look for it today.:thumbsup:

WesleySr
10-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Can someone please post the UPC number for the A-Wing and Gunship.

bigbarada
10-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Hopefully you will have better luck when you look for it today.:thumbsup:

Thanks!:thumbsup: I stopped off at my Wal-Mart this morning and they had a giant stack of these A-Wings sitting on the top shelf. I'm happy to report that it wasn't difficult at all to find a good paint job on the Arvel figure. He's essentially just Tycho with a new head and helmet; but, EU inaccuracies and all, he's still awesome and the A-Wing Pilot figure that I've wanted since my very first viewing of Return of the Jedi.

The helmet is as perfect to the movie helmet as we can expect in this scale and looks amazing. However it is slightly too large compared to how it fits in the movie (which is not a big deal for me). Looking at it closely, I can see that this is the first time this helmet has been made in toy form since 1985 (and even that is questionable). The POTF2 A-Wing Pilot is actually wearing a lazy interpretation of the B-Wing Pilot helmet.

The A-Wing itself is a much improved color-scheme compared to the POTF2 version. The red portions are a closer match to the movie models and the blaster tips are actually painted this time. In addition the blasters are molded in a much darker shade of grey and it's surprising how much that improves the overall look of the toy. The weathering is a little underwhelming, but nothing that some super-fine grit steel wool won't fix (I'll post some before and after pics).

The new cockpit is a big improvement over the original version with actual sculpted and painted details, not just stickers. However, I have to admit that I was expecting a little more detail in there considering how prominent the "New Cockpit!" text is on the front of the package.

It is missing the clear parts in the engines, but it looks like the screw hole is still there. So I might try to transfer the clear parts over from one of my POTF2 A-Wings. However, they did spray some yellow paint in there to simulate engine glow. That's about as effective as you would expect it to be (translation: not very).

Finally, the landing gear seem to work much better than the POTF2 version. Unfortunately, I do have to report that this A-Wing is incapable of flying upside down just like it's POTF2 counterpart. The cockpit does not stay latched shut when the ship is turned upside down (this actually wasn't a problem with the vintage version).

Overall, a great update of a ship that we haven't seen on shelves in over ten years (in movie colors) and an awesome figure of one of the key pilots from the ROTJ DS2 battle.

Umbra
10-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Can someone please post the UPC number for the A-Wing and Gunship.

Gunship is 53569 35150

i passed on the a wing so afraid i cannot help you there

bigbarada
10-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Sorry, I forgot to add the UPC number for the A-Wing:
53569 35502

cookiemonster
10-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Way cool BB I wonder if my Walmart is just getting a later shipment.

Oh what was the price by the way, basic as I know the Tax will be different.

bigbarada
10-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Way cool BB I wonder if my Walmart is just getting a later shipment.

Oh what was the price by the way, basic as I know the Tax will be different.

$29.96

They seem to be showing up everywhere, we also got the new Gunship as well.

JediTricks
10-11-2008, 11:40 PM
BB, I kept reading your review and going "oh great, now I need to get it. Wait, now I don't. Wait, now I do again!" and ultimately I have no idea. :p $30 ain't that steep, but if it's not significantly different on the outside AND the stupid canopy won't stay closed, it's going to be really hard for me to pull the trigger here. I'm definitely as on the fence as one could be.

Gunship at $50? Yikes dude! What happened? It started out at $40 back in the day, then dropped to $30 where it stayed, played around with that at exclusives, but never got that high. Psycho pricing. I could understand it if they included the turrets or changed the doors to reflect the CW version of the gunship.

bigbarada
10-12-2008, 12:22 AM
$30 is a little steep for this and it's actually more expensive than if the A-Wing and pilot had been sold separately. I would have actually preferred it if Hasbro had just released the A-Wing in the $20 vehicle line and put Arvel in with the wave 3 repaints. It would have been a couple of dollars cheaper and those who only want the updated pilot could have just bought the single carded figure (and I would personally love to have Arvel Crynyd as a single carded figure).

Umbra
10-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Gunship at $50? Yikes dude! What happened? It started out at $40 back in the day, then dropped to $30 where it stayed, played around with that at exclusives, but never got that high. Psycho pricing. I could understand it if they included the turrets or changed the doors to reflect the CW version of the gunship.

Yeah, that gave me a major case of sticker shock, and i almost put it back on the shelf. But this is the one vehicle i still wanted and i missed the last releases, so i sucked it up and took a hit to my bank account =/

cookiemonster
10-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Well the 30.00 dollar price point just put me off, I thought it was going to be 20.00 dollar price point for the size off it.

And the Gunship for 50.00 dollars has Hasbro gone insane.

DarkJedi5
10-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I for one would like to say that I HATE WALMART. After all calling all the Walmarts within 20 miles of me (which is only 3) and after being put on hold and waiting about 20 minutes each time I would finally get to ask some one, anyone, if they had the A-Wing in stock. I was always told that they would go look and a few minutes latter I was told that they weren't in. Well my fiance decided that we could drive out to one of them anyways and while I was poking around the store she found not one, but a whole stack on the shelf. I can't believe the Walmart people said they couldn't find them, there were probably ten of them.

Anyway, I got mine and I love it! Yes, the canopy doesn't stay closed which is a bummer but this is the only starfighter from the original trilogy that I have never owned and I finally have one! Anyway, I was expecting $40 for this ship (because if they're charging $50 for that crappy homestead, then $40 for this seemed like a deal) and so at $30 I am perfectly happy.

OC47150
10-12-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm not that impressed with it. I might have the pass.

Umbra
10-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I for one would like to say that I HATE WALMART. After all calling all the Walmarts within 20 miles of me (which is only 3) and after being put on hold and waiting about 20 minutes each time I would finally get to ask some one, anyone, if they had the A-Wing in stock. I was always told that they would go look and a few minutes latter I was told that they weren't in. Well my fiance decided that we could drive out to one of them anyways and while I was poking around the store she found not one, but a whole stack on the shelf. I can't believe the Walmart people said they couldn't find them, there were probably ten of them.

Too be fair, if your walmart set up anything like the ones near me, they set them up on and endcap away from the main star wars aisle. I knew what i was looking for and nearly missed it except a stroke of luck. If they weren;t the ones who set it up, it would be an easy miss because they weren't near the other star wars toys.

bigbarada
10-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Well for those of you who have seen this in person, you already know that the weathering leaves a lot to be desired. It's probably the worst kind of Hasbro weathering: the "airbrushed sphere" effect.

I've found a good way to fix this. You go to the house paint section of Wal-Mart and, in the same area where they sell sandpaper, they should have super fine 0000-grade steel wool. It's not expensive, I bought a bag of 12 pads for about $3.37 and I only used up one and a half pads to "clean up" my A-Wing.

You just rub it across the paint and it takes it off no problem at all (make sure to avoid the red painted areas and the clear canopy). It leaves enough paint inside the corners and crevices to give it that "wash" effect that always looks so cool.

Just make sure that you wear some gloves or put some kind of cloth or paper towel between your finger and the steel wool because you don't want to get the tiny metal shards embedded in your finger (they'll hurt, but they'll work themselves out within a day, so it's no big deal if you do). It works better than sandpaper and it's not as damaging to the surface of the plastic.

Anyways, after about 20-30 minutes of work, this is what my A-Wing looks like now (the last picture is the "before" shot):

bigbarada
10-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Some close up shots of Arvel Crynyd for those of you who are only interested in this set for the figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-13-2008, 12:29 AM
What the hell? That helmet is huge.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Too be fair, if your walmart set up anything like the ones near me, they set them up on and endcap away from the main star wars aisle. I knew what i was looking for and nearly missed it except a stroke of luck. If they weren;t the ones who set it up, it would be an easy miss because they weren't near the other star wars toys.
I didn't see them yesterday, but I didn't check every endcap. It was pretty busy as I was in there in the afternoon on a Canadian Holiday weekend. I normally go there a little earlier. I was at the Wal-Mart in Mt. Vernon that morning and didn't notice it there either. I'll have to be on the lookout for it next time.

JediTricks
10-13-2008, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the pics BB. Good idea on the weathering de-painting. I didn't realize it had that vague spray thing going on, I hate that too.

sebillba
10-13-2008, 07:08 AM
If anyone doesn't want the figure, or just wants a cheap second ship, I'd be happy to go halves on the set, as I only want the figure. Please PM me if you can help. I'd also pay about $15 for the Lt Pollard figure, if anyone wants to pick up a B-Wing.

DarkJedi5
10-13-2008, 09:16 AM

In fact, having read your post from earlier I was looking on end caps and away from the Star Wars figs hoping that had been the case. My fiance found them first because they were in the SW section and not at all hard to find.

Bar
10-13-2008, 02:52 PM
What the hell? That helmet is huge.

Cut the chatter Red 2...
Seriously, though, i expect it's a compromise.
Either you get an attached helmet more in scale, or you get a seperate one that's slightly larger.
Although, even i never expected a helmet so big that it would fit Jabba...
:D
Bar.

x13squadleader
10-14-2008, 08:55 AM
the number for the a-wing is 065356935502

Blue2th
10-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Saw these at two different Walmarts yesterday. No Gunships yet though.

cookiemonster
10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Must be getting close to appearing at a place near me.:beard:

jamesbondo07
10-14-2008, 11:19 AM
I saw several of the gunships the last few days. Just saw the A-Wings yesterday.

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 01:57 AM
I suspect it was sculpted to fit for sure, but didn't really consider how it fit in the movie. It's way too big in the photos, so the only answer is to make a figure with a bigger head to fit it. ;)

DarkArtist
10-16-2008, 09:02 AM
been checking the 4 Walmarts by me and so far nothing even on endcaps or in the Star Wars isles. I like the A-Wing and want the figure...just hope to find one

bigbarada
10-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I suspect it was sculpted to fit for sure, but didn't really consider how it fit in the movie. It's way too big in the photos, so the only answer is to make a figure with a bigger head to fit it. ;)

I would have actually preferred it if they had sculpted on the cloth "cap", then made the helmet separately. That might have solved some of the problem and the helmet would sit on the head more closely to how it looks in the movie.

Regardless, I'm just so happy to see the helmet made. To me, it's just such a quintessential "Star Warsy" design and this is the first time we've seen it in toy form in over 23 years (considering how rare the vintage A-Wing Pilot is, even longer for most).

So, I'm happy with it as is and the size doesn't bother me as much as it did when I first bought the figure. If Hasbro decides to remake it at some point down the road, then great! Otherwise, I'm happy.

Now, to get started pressuring Sideshow for a 12" Arvel Crynyd.:thumbsup:

Lazer Brain
10-16-2008, 10:51 AM
I have gotten the gun ship , there were tons at the walmart here, but NO Awing.
so i will have to wait some more.

TheDarthVader
10-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Guess what? Still no A-wing at the wal-mart that seems to never to have exclusives. I wonder what my odds are of finding one. I guess I will have to go to a different wal-mart.

Tenric78
10-16-2008, 01:38 PM
There were at least 4 A-Wings at the Walmart by me the other day.

Blue2th
10-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Looked at this up close today, and I must say, I might have to get this sometime, just for that pilot, and give away my POTF2 one.

It might take a while but Hasbro may release him in a Legends, though it would be a bummer if they didn't...torn.

Saw plenty of the Gunships, but decided to buy that one later. I want to see some loose pics first. It really depends on if the ship looks like what's on the box, as far as weathering etc. For $50 it better.

AmanaMatt
10-18-2008, 05:12 PM
My Walmart had an entire encap of these - I really want the figure, but at $29.99, I am passing (for now)....Awing does look good overall. Good to see the classic colors back on it!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-18-2008, 05:25 PM
I got this last night and I'm quite pleased with it. Arvel's helmet is huge, but I'm glad they finally got the right one (I think I asked that question to Hasbro based on bigbarada's constant talking about it a few years ago, so that's really damn awesome, but I may be misremembering). I absolutely love the new cockpit but I was having a hell of a time getting Arvel to grip the controls as they're wider than the "natural" pose of his hands. All in all, though, it's a very nice upgrade.

EDIT: Yes, it was indeed me (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=556007&postcount=7) who asked Hasbro the question that I think was the catalyst for finally getting the right helmet, but it was after bigbarada's Dear Hasbro thread. I will gladly take your gifts should you choose to send them. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
10-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Finally found these today. At first I didn't see them, but then finally saw them stacked on the top shelf. I might have been able to reach one, but they were stacked three high and I didn't want to have them come crashing down. I was going to see about finding someone to get them down or check around to see if there were any elsewhere. Then I saw one on the bottom shelf, so I grabbed that one.

bigbarada
10-18-2008, 11:26 PM
I got this last night and I'm quite pleased with it. Arvel's helmet is huge, but I'm glad they finally got the right one (I think I asked that question to Hasbro based on bigbarada's constant talking about it a few years ago, so that's really damn awesome, but I may be misremembering). I absolutely love the new cockpit but I was having a hell of a time getting Arvel to grip the controls as they're wider than the "natural" pose of his hands. All in all, though, it's a very nice upgrade.

EDIT: Yes, it was indeed me (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=556007&postcount=7) who asked Hasbro the question that I think was the catalyst for finally getting the right helmet, but it was after bigbarada's Dear Hasbro thread. I will gladly take your gifts should you choose to send them. :D

I think I first brought up the helmet issue way back in 2002 when pictures of that green A-Wing started showing up; but back then nobody cared. I guess last year was just the right time for it.

Let that be a lesson, kids, patience and persistence can pay off.... sometimes... ....... still waiting on that grey-suited Y-Wing pilot.... and Kithaba......

Anyways, JabbaJohnL, thanks for taking my whining and translating it into something productive! :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Naw, it wasn't whining, and I'm not trying to be misplacedly arrogant or anything. I just think it's really cool that they actually listened to us in this case and it's fun to feel at least somewhat responsible for this. This shows that they actually do occasionally listen to us! :p

bigbarada
10-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Naw, it wasn't whining, and I'm not trying to be misplacedly arrogant or anything. I just think it's really cool that they actually listened to us in this case and it's fun to feel at least somewhat responsible for this. This shows that they actually do occasionally listen to us! :p

No problem, I knew what you meant. :) I'm actually glad it took Hasbro this long to finally make the figure correctly. If he had come out in 2002, then he would have likely only had 6-points of articulation with some ridiculous action pose that would require you to sever a leg in order to get him to fit inside the A-Wing. It's better that he come out now, when super-articulation and neutral poses are becoming the standard across the line.

DarkArtist
10-23-2008, 03:43 PM
found my A-Wing today. Whooo Hooooo ! love this ship. looks amazing the pilot is cool as well.

TheDarthVader
10-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Still no a-wings at my 2 wal marts. =( Why does my town get everything last??! It really is starting to frustrate me. I couldn't even find Yaddle and Evan Piell. I had to get those off ebay. And I have searched for soooo long and have only found Young Indy and Henry Jones as far as the LC wave is concerned. =(

Amanamatt, you have a PM.

dr_evazan22
10-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Found this today in my WM but passed on it. I think I already have 2 red A-Wings, plus the green one. $30 was too much to pay for the figure.

stillakid
10-26-2008, 12:01 AM
I NEVER go to Walmart, but stopped in today on a lark because I was picking up something at the Sports Chalet nearby.

I brought home the new A Wing mostly because of the new pilot. The new cockpit is kinda cool too.

LTBasker
10-26-2008, 01:02 AM
I saw 7 A-Wings at a Wal-Mart today, looks pretty awesome - wish I had had the cash to grab a couple. 6 of them were on a top shelf, I didn't notice them until I saw the new Gunship, then saw the boxes next to the Gunships. The 7th I finally noticed under a pile of figures and was able to examine it.

jonthejedi
10-26-2008, 04:14 AM
They were all over at local WalMarts the last coupla days. I don't need another A-wing, but I like the pilot. Oh well, Hasbro will card him eventually anyway.

JetsAndHeels
10-26-2008, 04:10 PM
My local Wal-Mart apparently just got a shipment of them in, because I counted 12 of them there last night. They also had the new Republic gunships in the clone wars packaging.

I didn't grab an A-wing last night because I had to buy some other items, but if there are still some left later this week I am definately going to pick one up.

stillakid
10-26-2008, 06:09 PM
They also had the new Republic gunships in the clone wars packaging..

I saw those, but didn't see any discernible difference, so I passed.

JetsAndHeels
10-26-2008, 06:11 PM

I probably would not buy a new one if I hadn't lost the one I had from EP2.

Plus I like the graphics on this one, the WW2-style paint and pictures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-26-2008, 06:11 PM
The only real difference between this one and the 2002 one is that this one has the nose art of the Twi'lek pin-up girl. Whether or not that's worth $50 is up to you, though . . .

JetsAndHeels
10-26-2008, 06:55 PM
The only real difference between this one and the 2002 one is that this one has the nose art of the Twi'lek pin-up girl. Whether or not that's worth $50 is up to you, though . . .

Indeed it is....indeed it is.

Darkross
10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Finally...finally! I scored 3 of these bad boys on the weekend. The Wal-Mart near me had at least 1 - 2 dozen of them. I love the ship and the pilot. I finally have all of the rebel ships. Just missing Luke's landspeeder now and the AT-AT, and I'll have all of the OT vehicles that I desire in my collection.

The A-Wing is really cool, and although the cockpit window keeps opening even when flown upside down...if you hold the switch that opens the canopy forward while flying the ship, it stays closed!...so I have no beefs about this ship.

DarkArtist
10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Finally...finally! I scored 3 of these bad boys on the weekend. The Wal-Mart near me had at least 1 - 2 dozen of them. I love the ship and the pilot. I finally have all of the rebel ships. Just missing Luke's landspeeder now and the AT-AT, and I'll have all of the OT vehicles that I desire in my collection.

The A-Wing is really cool, and although the cockpit window keeps opening even when flown upside down...if you hold the switch that opens the canopy forward while flying the ship, it stays closed!...so I have no beefs about this ship.

nice haul Darkross. I am a fan of the A-Wing and this one looks good next to the first POTF A-Wing and the Saga EU Green A-Wing.

Mvader91
10-27-2008, 02:01 PM
nice haul Darkross. I am a fan of the A-Wing and this one looks good next to the first POTF A-Wing and the Saga EU Green A-Wing.Honestly at 30.00 it is not that great of a value. What happened to" Live better save money, Walmart"

DarkArtist
10-27-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree with the motto and the price, especially with the economic times. but the ship is cool though. my question is what happened to Hasbro stating that they were going to start shipping vehicles at the $19.99 price point. i mean the A-Wing could very easily fall into that catagory

Mvader91
10-27-2008, 04:52 PM
I agree with the motto and the price, especially with the economic times. but the ship is cool though. my question is what happened to Hasbro stating that they were going to start shipping vehicles at the $19.99 price point. i mean the A-Wing could very easily fall into that catagory
I agree totally. The POT2 was 19.99 at retail. I could even see 24.99. It is a cool ship and pilot sculpt.lol

bigbarada
10-27-2008, 05:44 PM
I agree totally. The POT2 was 19.99 at retail. I could even see 24.99. It is a cool ship and pilot sculpt.lol

I think the increased price has to do with the numbers of the ships produced. For an exclusive, Hasbro won't make as many thus needs to charge more in order to make a profit. At least that's the idea.

I don't see why this couldn't have been a wide-released $19.99 ship with Arvel being pushed into the ROTJ wave with Yarna, Bane Malar, etc.

However, I think we're about to see a price increase across the board on Star Wars toys within the next year and the $19.99 vehicle line will likely become the $24.99 vehicle line. It's just that the price increase appears in exclusive releases first, then the rest of the line will follow suit. That's my theory anyway.

sebillba
10-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I finally bought one of these today - I only want the figure, so will probably stick the ship on ebay. They're 19.99 over here, so with current exchange rates, that's roughly the same price for once. Usually SW toys here are the same price in s as they are in $s. I also saw the Lars Homestead - that was 49.99, so around $75, no way is it worth anywhere near that. I really want the womprat though.

FundingMyAddiction
10-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I was able to find the new Gunship a couple of days ago. I do love the nose-art, so it was worth it. But I haven't seen an A-Wing at any of the WM's I've been to.

tagmac
11-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Found a bunch of the A-Wings today. wasn't going to buy it, but since it's the only proper representation of the pilot, I caved in for that. Had a bunch of the gunships as well, but I don't need another one of those.

TheDarthVader
11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I was able to find the new Gunship a couple of days ago. I do love the nose-art, so it was worth it. But I haven't seen an A-Wing at any of the WM's I've been to.

Same here. Still can not find an A-wing. =( I wonder how long it will take...???

Darkross
11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
The Wal-Mart near me has at least 14 A-Wings, and a couple of Gunships left. Another Wal-Mart near me has the AT-TE for $94.99 Canadian...which is a steal...especially for USA shoppers.

FundingMyAddiction
11-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Same here. Still can not find an A-wing. =( I wonder how long it will take...???

I FINALLY found one of these today. The price was a bit disconcerting (and the fact that I already have two a-wings) but I picked it up anyway.

I also saw the new Training On the Falcon battle pack. That's a huge pass for me. The figures look ridiculous. The paint on Luke makes him look like he's wearing lipstick.

And the Wal-Mart had just opened up another box of join up 501st CW troops, so I decided to fill out the rest of my squad. Overall good day. I'm glad they finally have the A-Wings, now that they're completely out of gunships.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-19-2008, 12:40 AM
And the Wal-Mart had just opened up another box of join up 501st CW troops, so I decided to fill out the rest of my squad. Overall good day. I'm glad they finally have the A-Wings, now that they're completely out of gunships.
I've never seen these. Are they in the same place as the rest of the figures. The figures here have been pretty full with Clone Wars and older Legacy figures.

plasticfetish
11-19-2008, 01:10 AM
My local Walmart* had a huge pile of them, but they were all up on top of the shelves, where you couldn't get at them.

Darkross
11-19-2008, 05:59 AM
The Wal-Mart near me has at least 14 A-Wings, and a couple of Gunships left. Another Wal-Mart near me has the AT-TE for $94.99 Canadian...which is a steal...especially for USA shoppers.

The same Wal-Mart near me had dropped the price on the AT-TE to $84.95...so I picked one up for my son for Christmas. He's going to love this thing!

Old Fossil
11-19-2008, 08:06 AM
They were on an endcap with some DVD figure sets, Clone helmets, and Galactic Heroes. The endcap was one at the back of the department, seemed kind of hidden away.

So far, nobody here is buying these things at $30 apiece.

obi-dad
11-19-2008, 12:48 PM
So far, nobody here is buying these things at $30 apiece.

Maybe that's why my Wal Mart had them in the spot for a $19.99 CW vehicle (can't remember which one now). I didn't even notice, until I read the price on the forums, then I had to check my receipt. Next time I was at Wal Mart, I checked and saw the tag actually listed the CW vehicle. I still feel like I should complain to someone and get $10 back... seems almost like a bait & switch or false "advertisement" or something. But, it's the nicest A-wing Hasbro has ever made, IMO.

TheDarthVader
11-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Damn. They are STILL no where to be seen around here. I think I am gonna have to get old fossil to pick one up for me. I really want one of these. The last one I am gonna need is the b-wing. I am hoping that they make an updated version soon with OT paint not EU. I already have the other -wing fighters.

FundingMyAddiction
11-20-2008, 10:30 PM
I've never seen these. Are they in the same place as the rest of the figures. The figures here have been pretty full with Clone Wars and older Legacy figures.

I've seen the 501st Join Up Troopers in two different places at different Wal-Marts. Most of them put them in with the rest of the figures, all mixed together. Some have had them in their own display down on the shelf below and some have had them in the display on the top shelf, completely out of reach.

TheDarthVader
11-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Why do I feel that Wal Mart is purposefully hiding their Star Wars and other exclusives or putting them in hard to reach spots???

bigbarada
11-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Why do I feel that Wal Mart is purposefully hiding their Star Wars and other exclusives or putting them in hard to reach spots???

I think a lot of Wal-Marts just don't order items that fall outside of the standard action figure and vehicle line. Either that or they have them and are waiting until "black Friday" to put them out.

TheDarthVader
11-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Good point. In fact, I have ordered the A-wing from Walmart.com. It will soon be mine. HEHEHEHEHHEE

obi-dad
11-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Well, I haven't seen that many A-wings in St. Louis, but I went to visit my family in Arkansas for Thanksgiving. Wish I had my camera with me. If I remember correctly, there was a solid column of 2-3 A-wings wide going from the bottom shelf to the top. I don't think I've ever seen that many in one place before.

TheDarthVader
11-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Seems like another distribution problem...still none at my 2 wal marts. Hmmmmm

OC47150
11-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Wonder if the A-wings are sitting in the conex containers in the WM parking lot?

Deoxyribonucleic
12-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Hit and run...just to help out, check overstock of A-wings in the aisles that lead up to the cleaning supplies, I think there's a bunch of houseware stuff, by the picture frames. Anyway, there are over 20 A-wings sitting on the very tip top shelf of my two walmarts. Never saw any in the action figure aisle.

good luck

JimJamBonds
08-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I didn't see them 'Ox, are you sure that's where you saw them?

Old Fossil
08-26-2009, 07:56 AM
The WM nearest me still has around a dozen of these, still at full price!

And I still won't buy one at full price!:laugh:

clone157
08-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Where is this?

JimJamBonds
08-26-2009, 09:31 PM
The WM nearest me still has around a dozen of these, still at full price!

And I still won't buy one at full price!:laugh:

Give it another 8-12 months, they'll come down in price. :D

TheDarthVader
08-27-2009, 08:49 AM
My wal marts never received any A-wings at all. I just don't understand.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-27-2009, 05:46 PM
My wal marts never received any A-wings at all. I just don't understand.
It's not that hard to understand. Some Walmarts get exclusives, some don't.

El Chuxter
08-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I saw some a few weeks ago. If I can remember which WM (it wasn't one of my normal stops) and they're still there, I'll pick one or two up if I've got some extra money.

OC47150
08-28-2009, 05:37 PM
You mean A-wings from last Christmas are still floating around? I haven't seen those in my stores since....well, last Christmas.

Old Fossil
08-28-2009, 06:22 PM
You mean A-wings from last Christmas are still floating around? I haven't seen those in my stores since....well, last Christmas.

Overall impression I have is that they didn't do too well at that $30 price point, so a lot of stores still have 'em. Why they haven't clearanced them out yet in some locations is beyond me.

OC47150
08-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I passed on this A-wing for the price alone. Other than the figure and a little different paint scheme, the ship was the same as earlier releases.

WM's clearance policy boggles me, and makes me wonder if it's not on a store-by-store basis. Some WMs in my area will clearance figures (at rock-bottom prices!) just to clear the pegs but others don't.

One WM in particular clearanced the Star Trek figures out about mid-summer at about $3. I wanted a couple for the bridge pieces but they were all gone by the time I got there. Other WMs still have the ST figs at $5.

Old Fossil
08-28-2009, 07:04 PM
I passed on this A-wing for the price alone. Other than the figure and a little different paint scheme, the ship was the same as earlier releases.

Exactly how I felt. I'll buy it if and when it goes down to $15-$20, but not before. It's a nice set, but not $30 nice.

OC47150
08-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Exactly how I felt. I'll buy it if and when it goes down to $15-$20, but not before. It's a nice set, but not $30 nice.

That was my thought, too, but the ship wasn't around in my area long enough for clearance. Someone bought 'em at $30.

bigbarada
08-28-2009, 08:44 PM

WM's clearance policy boggles me, and makes me wonder if it's not on a store-by-store basis. Some WMs in my area will clearance figures (at rock-bottom prices!) just to clear the pegs but others don't.

One WM in particular clearanced the Star Trek figures out about mid-summer at about $3. I wanted a couple for the bridge pieces but they were all gone by the time I got there. Other WMs still have the ST figs at $5.

It's got to be unique to the store. My Wal-Mart has already put the new Droid Factory sets in the clearance aisle (although the price is still $17). It doesn't look like they sold a single Star Trek figure, because they are all still clogging the clearance racks for $4 each.

DarkJedi5
08-29-2009, 10:40 AM

I jumped all over it when I saw it. For some reason I'd never gotten any of the previous A-Wings so a $20 ship (even though, in my area the vehicles at Target are marked up to about $26) and a $10 figure (which is about what single carded figs are in my area too) and it was an all around good deal for me.

mtriv73
08-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Are we talking about the green one or the one with the new cockpit? Either way I have them both and haven't seen either one in stores in quite a while.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Are we talking about the green one or the one with the new cockpit? Either way I have them both and haven't seen either one in stores in quite a while.
I sure hope we're not talking about the green one, since it came out in 2003. :p

TeeEye7
08-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Hit and run...just to help out, check overstock of A-wings in the aisles that lead up to the cleaning supplies..

I didn't see them 'Ox, are you sure that's where you saw them?

They're right next to the OxyClean!

But you've gone too far if you see the Kaboom!

SplFrcsCWO
09-03-2009, 04:29 PM

Actually, it has a detailed cockpit.