PDA

View Full Version : College Football thread for 2008 (game face at left)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Didn't have one prior to opening weekend? For shame.

I don't know how it was possible, but all three of the teams I support somehow lost this week:
- Youngstown State, losing 43-0 to OSU. Sure, they get a nice paycheck, but to get shut out? Last year, they got a field goal. :(
- Ohio State, whoops the above-mentioned team, but their Heisman hopeful RB gets hurt (hopefully just a little thing). :fingerscrossed: :(
- Pitt, lost to a green bowling team at home. Not a good start, fellas. :cry:

Onward to the BCS Bowl!

DarthQuack
08-31-2008, 07:33 AM
Hawaii got waxed by Florida pretty well....Syracuse lost....no shock there. Bring on the Fighting Irish woooooo hopefully more than 3 wins this year.

jjreason
08-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Well Michigan started the Ri-Ro era with a 2pt loss to Utah. The good news is they scored 2 unanswered TDs in the 4th quarter to make it a game. Notre Dame in 2 weeks is going to be very telling - both of these teams are expected to be good every years by their fans but are facing a ton of challenges.

UKWildcat
09-01-2008, 01:56 AM
Virginia Tech basically threw in the towel this season when they decided to red shirt Tyrod Taylor. Oh well... give me something to look forward to next year. :rolleyes:

jamesbondo07
09-01-2008, 09:17 AM
The Bo era has begun. I'm happy with the way Nebraska started out. Looks like the defense is improved. Although from last year that wasn't hard to do. It was just nice to see Nebraska getting sacks, fumbles, and interceptions. Last year getting one in a game was a rarity. I think they could surprise a few people this year.

mtriv73
09-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Virginia Tech basically threw in the towel this season when they decided to red shirt Tyrod Taylor. Oh well... give me something to look forward to next year. :rolleyes:

Let's just hope they keep him redshirted. All the freshmen on the team need some time to develop and I think that will happen better under Glennon. I can take a bad season every few years if it sets us up for a better one later on.

Still, losing to ECU is just painful, especially losing on special teams.

Snowtrooper
09-01-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm looking forward to see what Nebraska can do this year. I think Bo can get things straightened out although its going to take a little time. If we go 7-5 this year, it will be a success in my book. But even if they don't, just so they keep fighting and not give up. Last year when they got behind, they just quit and it was a real embarassment to the whole state.

UKWildcat
09-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Let's just hope they keep him redshirted. All the freshmen on the team need some time to develop and I think that will happen better under Glennon. I can take a bad season every few years if it sets us up for a better one later on.

Still, losing to ECU is just painful, especially losing on special teams.

Yeah, I was all for keeping T. Taylor redshirted after the loss to ECU. But of course Beamer said yesterday that he was going to pull the redshirt off him (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3565596). :rolleyes: I swear. I love Beamer, but his coaching ability is not what it used to be. :(

Anyways, this ought to be interesting to see how the Hokies finish out the season with noodlearm and Taylor in the 2 QB system again. Even though I shake my head at bringing Taylor back, my interest in Va Tech football this season has peaked. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-07-2008, 09:53 AM
So, I guess the Buckeyes are just playin' possum, pretending to be inert on offense and sluggish on defense, to lull the Trojans into an overconfident stupor, right? Right? Please be the case. Coming out here next week to play a team that showed the country it's pretty darn good last week, with a RB who (hopefully) will be healthy enough for 20+ carries against a fast, bruising D, will do a lot to show OSU's character.

And 0-2 YSU is averaging 3.5 points per game this year? Ouch.

Yay. Pitt beat Buffalo (which I think beat them last year).

It's early.

Snowtrooper
09-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Nebraska wasn 't terribly impressive. They did beat SJSU 35-12, but had some breakdowns on defense. They need to improve if we are going to win games down the road.

pbarnard
09-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Ok, who is worse, ND or Michigan?

And being at Iowa, as much as it pains me to say it, Iowa didn't as much win the game as ISU's coaches lost it for them (well that and a stupid hitting the returner before he catches it who later burned them for an 80 yard return).

Bel-Cam Jos
09-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Michigan, because Rodriguez's bad karma is rubbing off on them. Did someone take the word "loyalty" out of the dictionary? :(

Yee-owza. I'm just glad that the OSU-USC game was in California, because with that can of whoop *** the Trojans opened, at least the Buckeyes can get the $.05 redemption value on it. :longflightbacktoOhio : :(

CaptainSolo1138
09-14-2008, 12:30 PM
at least the Buckeyes can get the $.05 redemption value on it. :longflightbacktoOhio : :(But if they'd've been in the Horse Shoe they could've drove to Michigan for a whole dime!

I had that game on last night while I was lesson planning and I always love it when "the big game" that ESPN over-hypes for three weeks is a ginormous dud.

Snowtrooper
09-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Nebraska played well this week. They beat New Mexico State 38-7. They would've had a shut out if the second stringers hadn't fumbled the ball on their own 5. Bo was hoppin mad about that by the way. Its nice to see them do well against the spread since we're going to see alot of that this year.

The offense got a really good running game going unlike the previous two weeks. They were also making alot more big plays too. I hope its a sign of things to come. Granted its only NMSU. But after having ot endure the worst team in Nebraska history last year, its nice to see things getting built back up.

The Virginia Tech game in two weeks is going to be interesting.

jjreason
09-14-2008, 03:39 PM
God, U of M and ND was horrid. Michigan had no trouble moving the ball - it was hanging on to the damned thing that they couldn't figure out. Sloppy & frustrating, this was the perfect lead-in to the "Blowout of the Week" which further showcased the lack of talent in the Big Ten. :(

With their schedule, the Trojans are a LOCK for the title game - I'd pretty much bet my house on it. Georgia on the other hand has a BRUTAL schedule. If they can get through unscathed it'll be a miracle.

2-1B
09-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Whoooooooooa Nelly, the SUCKEYES ! lol lol lol

DarthQuack
09-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Notre Dame is better than Michigan by the way ;) At least for one week.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2008, 08:14 PM
OSU upsets #1 USC! Whoo hoo! Buckeyes have got to be movin' on up to that de-luxe ranking in the sky now! And [whisper, whisper]... what? The other OSU? That's still okay; go Cowboys! Big help to the Big 12, and [whisper, whisper]... now what? Wait; there's another other OSU? Good enough. :p

BTW, don't you just love the "well, they're out of the BCS running now" talk before week five's games? That's not overreaction, is it? Let them play more, people, before you bury 'em. :scienceteacherbariumjoke:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-28-2008, 11:09 AM
BTW, don't you just love the "well, they're out of the BCS running now" talk before week five's games? That's not overreaction, is it? Let them play more, people, before you bury 'em. :scienceteacherbariumjoke:So, now Georgia is COMPLETELY out of the running, as are Florida and Wisconsin. Therefore, these teams are stick-a-fork done: UGA, UF, OSU, USC, UW. Congratulations, future BCS champion BYU! :pleased:

Ohio St. gets a nice tuneup for more challenges in the Big 11Ten, Pitt overcomes an early deficit to win, but sadly YSU loses a close one where Liberty gives them death. :(

sith_killer_99
09-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Well, my boys (CU) lost to Florida State yesterday, but they are still looking strong. They are having a better season than last year, so I am happy.:D

jjreason
09-28-2008, 07:10 PM
I hate to jinx anyone, but Penn State looks about as strong & healthy as any team in the nation.

Qui-Long Gone
10-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Go Red Raiders!

*Please go with at least 9 or 10 wins this season! :pleased:*

Ando
10-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Go Ducks. We're at USC this weekend. It should be an interesting game.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Good weekend for me:
- Pitt takes South FL out of the BCS picture on Thursday (that's about 15 can't-possibly-win-it-all teams now :p)
- OSU gets past Wisconsin on the road (spread was never more than 7 points during the game, pulling it out in the last 2 minutes)
- YSU doesn't lose (play) this weekend!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-12-2008, 07:28 PM
BTW, don't you just love the "well, they're out of the BCS running now" talk before week five's games? That's not overreaction, is it? Let them play more, people, before you bury 'em.So, here's a partial list of those teams that have "no chance" at a BCS title, due to their loss:

- Georgia
- USC
- Oklahoma
- Ohio St.
- West Virginia
- Florida
- LSU
- Wisconsin
- South Florida
- Auburn
- Clemson
- Arizona St.
- Oregon
- UCLA
- Michigan
- Kansas
- Illinois
- Iowa
- Florida St.
- Boston Coll.
- Miami, FL
- Miami, OH
- Michigan St.
- Nebraska
- Notre Dame
- California
- Tennessee
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
- Kentucky
- Texas A&M
- Northwestern
- Pittsburgh
- East Carolina
- Vanderbilt
- Rutgers
- Washington
- Oregon St.
- Colorado
- Kansas St.
- Ole Miss

So, why bother watching if so many teams have "no chance," eh? :p

Pitt re-enters the top-25 this week. Ohio St. keeps inching up (or maintaining its spot), but alas, YSU's season appears in big trouble. C'mon, Penguins! You can do it! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Bad weekend for me; four times as bad. Losers included:
- Ohio State. Arrgh! They were in this one. That 3rd-and-1 fumble was huge, and why would you throw into QUADRUPLE COVERAGE at the goal line on 2nd down, with under 30 seconds to go? Answer: that's why a true freshman QB rarely starts in college. NOW, they are officially out of the BCS picture (unless PSU loses twice against Big1T1en teams it should beat). :cry:
- Pitt. Giving up 50+ at home to Rutgers? Yeeowch. But there are still games to go.
- Youngstown State. Another close loss (21-20), sorry to say.
- Chaffey Community College. Losing to a 1-win team is a step backwards.

Shame and sadness, shame and sadness. :(

jjreason
10-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I shouldn't even be poking around this thread due to the humiliation Michigan is heaping upon its fans this year - but I must say I was pleased to see Penn State come out on top to keep a Big10 team in the hunt. Poor Terrelle (sp?) Prior.... he's amazing now, I'm truly scared to see what kind of havoc he's wreaking vs Michigan as a junior. :(

Snowtrooper
10-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Well, Nebraska has crept back up to 5-3 with a 32-20 win over Baylor. Even though they didn't play their best ball, it was a nice win because Baylor was a much improved team overlast year. Next week will be a loss though cause we're going down to Norman to play Oklahoma.

Ando
10-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Go Ducks... 54-20 over ASU.

Oregon has now mathematically qualified for post season football action in bowl game.

mtriv73
10-27-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't know which is worse, losing both quarterbacks or losing to a mediocre at best FSU team. I hope my Hokies can bounce back against Maryland or it's going to be a long year in the Trivett household (My wife is a Terp and she'll never let me hear the end of it if VT loses.)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Some wild finishes yesterday:
- Pitt v. ND (going to multiple OTs, that's a nice win Panthers, after being down two TDs in the first half)
- Michigan St. v. Wisconsin (a long FG with less than 10 seconds to play, after just giving up a leading TD? Maybe that means they can help OSU out by beating Penn St. to end their Big 1T1en schedule)
- Northwestern v. Minnesota (heartbreak! tied with seconds left, and a forced throw into heavy coverage is bad, and a return for TD is worse :( )
- Texas Tech v. Texas (I only saw the last 3 minutes or so... wild, and another top team falls)

My top 5 prediction? 1. Alabama 2. Penn St. 3. Texas Tech 4. Oklahoma 5. USC... heck, may as well add five more: 6. Florida 7. Oklahoma St. 8. Texas 9. Utah 10. Missouri.

And for those of you drooling with interest, yes, Youngstown St. scored 44... and lost... by 10. :cry:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Pitt won. :thumbsup:
Ohio St. won. :thumbsup:
Even YSU won. :eek: :thumbsup:
Penn St. lost, somewhat helping OSU.

I don't see any team being [blank] and 0 after the bowls are done this season, and maybe not even before they start. No, not even Boise St. or Utah. :lipsrsealed:

Slicker
11-09-2008, 11:57 AM
And Michigan won!!!...although there seasons blown already...

Ando
11-10-2008, 11:06 AM
And Michigan won!!!...although there seasons blown already...

UNBELIEVABLE!

And the Huskies (WA) are still winless.

Go Ducks!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-10-2008, 03:34 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!

And the Huskies (WA) are still winless.

Go Ducks!Yet they are 9th in the Pac10. Figure that one out, BCS.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Nothing unusual yesterday: only 2 Top 25 teams (according to whatever poll my newspaper uses, at least) lost to a team ranked below them. Can Mich. St. help out Ohio St. by beating Penn St. next weekend? Maybe if Oregon St. ends up in the Rose Bowl vs. OSU (then bet EVERYTHING you own on some OSU winning that game :p ), I might see how much tickets would be.

Ando
11-17-2008, 12:10 PM
In spite of being a huge Oregon Duck Football fan and a rabid anti-Beaver, I think OSU has a legitimate shot at the Rose Bowl berth.

It should be interesting how it plays out. Oregon get this weekend off, and OSU has a game between now and the Civil War, but the Civil War is at OSU this year.

Should be very interesting to see if Oregon can do what the Beavs did last year and win the Civil War on an away game.

Qui-Long Gone
11-18-2008, 05:41 PM
We are ready to have our team on ABC for the third time in four weeks! The Red Raiders will see you all in Miami in January! :thumbsup:

jjreason
11-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Well Oklahoma sure put a damper on that - it was over within the first 12 minutes. :( I guess the big question is "Now what?" for the Big 12.

Michigan is mercifully done for the year. All we can hope is to see them bounce back like Notre Dame did this season (albeit the Irish hit a road bump yesterday in losing to their first-ever 8 loss team in the 2008 Big Orange from Syracuse).

I think Florida's a lock in the SEC championship game, which will make the rankings as controversial as ever come next Sunday.

Slicker
11-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I couldn't have said it better JJ. Thankfully Michigan is out of there misery for almost a year. This was just a sad sad season for them. If Rodriguez doesn't vastly improve on this next year they had better ditch him. I'm surprised that Michigan took all of this losing so well.

pbarnard
11-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Well my wife wants to go watch Iowa (we're both employees at the college of medicine but not medical doctors) at whichever bowl game they go to. She also wants it to be in Florida (need Ohio St to be in BCS or jump over Northwestern and MSU in the bowl agreements) so she can finally go to Disney World.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I think people are discounting Pitt's BCS average of .0413 to get into the title game. [whisper, whisper] What? Highest number is best? I thought this was like golf? Dang it! :mad: :rolleyes:

I still say that there will be no undefeated and un-tied (ah, remember when that was a phrase used?) teams after the bowls are over. Alabama could go down to Florida in the SEC title game, and I don't think any of Utah, Boise St., or Ball St. will have a zero after their record. Here's what would totally screw up the BCS:

- Alabama loses to Auburn (doubtful) AND Florida (possibly) in SEC game
- Florida loses to Florida St. (doubtful) beats Alabama (probably) in SEC game
- Oklahoma loses to OK St. (possibly) and does not make BCS bowl (doubtful)
- Texas loses to Texas A&M (doubtful) and does not make BCS bowl (doubtful)
- Texas Tech beats Baylor (almost definitely) but loses to Missouri (doubtful) in Big XII game
- USC beats Notre Dame (almost definitely), loses to UCLA (doubtful) and does not make BCS bowl (doubtful)
- Oregon St. loses to Oregon (possibly) but beats Penn St. in Rose Bowl
- Boise St. wins out, including whichever BCS bowl they reach (possibly)
- Penn St. loses to Oregon St. in Rose Bowl (doubtful)
- Utah wins out, including whichever BCS bowl they reach (possibly)
- Ball St. wins out, including whichever BCS bowl they reach (possibly)
- whoever wins ACC (Florida St.? Boston Coll? Georgia Tech?) wins its BCS bowl
- whoever wins Big East (Cincinnati? Pitt? West Virginia?) wins its BCS bowl

That would be the absolute carp for them. And I'd love it. :D Do not like this "system" at all.

Qui-Long Gone
11-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I hate this sytem too...

My Red Raiders were horrible against Ok, but Ok lost to Texas which lost to TTU....how do you pick a Big 12 South winner from that?

pbarnard
11-24-2008, 05:35 PM
I hate this sytem too...

My Red Raiders were horrible against Ok, but Ok lost to Texas which lost to TTU....how do you pick a Big 12 South winner from that?

I believe the Big 12 said the one with the highest BCS score represents the division in the title game, than the next tie breaker is head to head matchups.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Remember when we were told that the BCS would take away the influence of the polls and have on-the-field games determine who went where? :tired:

Ando
12-01-2008, 11:42 AM
This was the best Civil War game I have EVER seen! School and game records for points scored and offensive yards were shattered AND Oregon kept Oregon State from going to the Rose Bowl. AWESOME.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Well, it appears "everyone" will get the wanted matchup (pending BCS approval today, of course) of Fla vs. Okie. Sigh.

But, only 2 undefeateds left: Boise St. and Utah. My prediction of none left after the bowls may still come true, as Ball St. fumbled this Friday (what's with college football being on virtually every day of the week? traditional Saturday, but then Sunday... Tuesday... Thursday... wha-?!? huh?!? :confused: ) and Alabama came up a tad short yesterday.

Here's my guesses for the BCS Bowls:
Orange Title Bowl: FL v. OK
Orange Real Bowl: VT v. OSU
Rose Bowl: Penn St. V. USC
Fiesta Bowl: UT v. Cinn.
Sugar Bowl: AL v. TX

Bel-Cam Jos
12-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Here's my guesses for the BCS Bowls:
Orange Title Bowl: FL v. OK
Orange Real Bowl: VT v. OSU
Rose Bowl: Penn St. V. USC
Fiesta Bowl: UT v. Cinn.
Sugar Bowl: AL v. TX I was close; at least I had all the right teams.

Know what's cool? Tim Tebow could be the first player to get to vote for himself TWICE for the Heisman! :stiffarm: I think Colt McCoy will get it, though. McCoy #1, Bradford #2, Tebow #4, and Graham Harrell #3 (punked you, Downtown Athletic Club! :lipsrsealed: ).

Bel-Cam Jos
01-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Pitt gives up 3 points in a bowl game. Hooray! :pleased: Pitt scores 0 points in the same bowl game. Boo! :upset: Ugh.