PDA

View Full Version : Television commercials SUCK!

sith_killer_99
08-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Well, now that I have real television again, I have started to notice that annoying little habit they have of cranking up the volume level during commercials.

It is REALLY annoying and I loath the tactic.

I know, most people have a tendency to get up and go to the bathroom or kitchen when commercials come on. Some marketing scum bag figured it out and made money with the idea of cranking up the volume during commercials.

It sucks!

My dad got into the habit of hitting the mute button during commercials, years ago. I try to do the same, but it still annoys me that I even have to do it.

I mean, there I am enjoying a late night movie and all of the sudden the television is blaring some stupid commercial and I rush over to hit the remote control so as not to wake my daughter in the next room.

It SUCKS!

Sorry, I just had to vent!

bigbarada
08-31-2008, 03:14 AM
I've noticed that commercials are filled with more annoying sounds these days in order to draw your attention.

For me, the sound of liquid pouring into a glass broadcast over speakers is more annoying than fingernails on a chalkboard. So I HATE those Brita water filter commercials along with most beer commercials.

Then there is the new trend of playing a commercial twice in a row or repeating phone numbers or phrases over and over and over again. Anyone remember...

Head-On, apply directly to the forehead.

:frus:

DarthQuack
08-31-2008, 07:30 AM
That's why DVR's are awesome, I'll pause a show I want to watch and start it a half hour in or so same things with sports, skip right past them.

dr_evazan22
08-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Then there is the new trend of playing a commercial twice in a row or repeating phone numbers or phrases over and over and over again. Anyone remember...

:frus:

I reported for jury duty a couple years ago. The lady that came in to explain to the group what was going to happen every key point (which might've been everything) 3 times for everyone that wasn't listening or talking to their neighbor.

It ended up being amusing, I guess because she wasn't speaking like an ad salesperson. (Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-31-2008, 10:56 AM
But if you ignore all the commercials, you miss the humorously-terrible ones, like some mentioned in the "I'm Spicy" thread here...

Besides, without commercials, what purpose would there be to play a football game in January (now February)? :D And the World's Funniest Commercials TV show blog would shut down. :eek:

p.s. Most ads suck today, regardless of their medium, but I do respect the creativity attempts (I wanted to go into advertising/marketing as a youth at one point) by those involved.

Snowtrooper
08-31-2008, 12:00 PM
I've gotten in the habit of changing channels when the commercials come one. I'm fairly good at timing it so that by the time I turn back to the original program, the commercials are done. I'm the master channel surfer. It really pi**es off my wife and kids though.

Blue2th
08-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Isn't there some sort of auto-commercial-zapper?
I'm sure one has been invented, but the advertisers who pay the bills for the TV stations won't allow that.

Phantom-like Menace
08-31-2008, 03:40 PM
It's funny that they claim they don't increase the volume, because it's obvious they do.

It's too bad all commercials can't be entertaining so that we might actually want to watch them. There are a number of them I'll actually stop to watch, embarrassed though I may be to admit to watching them. Jack Links Messin' with Sasquatch commercials are sadly capable of entertaining me. I like the PC/Mac commercials, even though I wouldn't switch to Macs in this lifetime. I'm sure there are others, and I don't need the volume to increase to tell me to watch them.

sith_killer_99
08-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I like the "Messin' with Sasquatch" commercials too. There are some good one's out there, but more often than not they just annoy me.

LTBasker
08-31-2008, 03:52 PM
In regards to commercials having an increased volume, I wonder if stations dabble in intentionally decreasing the volume on movies? I had never thought of it before, but it seems logical that they would do this in order for all their sponsors' commercials to be loud when it switches to a commercial break, and they would be able to say the commercials are at a moderate volume level.

Rocketboy
08-31-2008, 03:52 PM
The guy with the Midas-like Skittles touch is one the best commercials ever.