PDA

View Full Version : Going Back To School

Jedi_Kal-El
08-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Well. I finished my last day of work last Thur. I'm still getting paid until the end of Sept. so I don't have to worry about that.

In a surprise move by our Gov. 3 million has been set aside for displaced RV workers to get grants to go to school, and I think I'm going to jump on that. They'll pay for my school, and unemplyment will pay my living expenses while I'm attending school.

Not sure what kinds of classes I'm going to take yet, but it's not often you get offered money to go back to school.

TeeEye7
08-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Let me state the obvious: You'd be foolish not to take advantage of an offer like that!

Without the worry of supporting yourself, I think you'd have a plenty of time to concentrate and look over the offerings of whatever school you attend. Check with career counselors at the school for guidance.

Man, do I wish I had that opportunity when I was laid off (many moons ago)! I was digging ditches, literally, to make ends meet before something better came along!

Good luck, Kal!

Engineernerd
08-31-2008, 04:31 PM
That's good news J-K-E!

May I suggest engineering courses...

Actually, find something you really love to learn about. I know too many people that start school studying something that only kind of liked and don't finish or hate their career after. I'm lucky, I loved engineering and I get to work with some pretty cool things.

Good luck!

Rocketboy
08-31-2008, 09:06 PM
After a three year hiatus, I'm also heading back to school, but it won't be until January.
By the time I decided to go back it was far too late to register for Fall classes.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Sweet, maybe they'll teach you how to mail out packages. ;)

Jedi_Kal-El
09-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Maybe John. And maybe when you get to college they'll teach you that life happens. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-01-2008, 01:58 AM
I'm just bustin' your balls, man.

Jedi_Kal-El
09-01-2008, 09:40 AM
I know, me too bud. I've just never had that much crazy insane crap happen to me all at once dude.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2008, 09:44 AM
A few places around here have mentioned that the kids'll be going back to school this week... which is interesting since last week was back to school. I really miss the tradition of school-starts-after-Labor-Day, and I'll really REALLY miss it next year, as our district (and others) "wisely" are starting TWO WEEKS BEFORE THIS YEAR, so those cool, pleasant mid-August days will have students eager to learn and sit inside always A/C-cooled classrooms! :tongueincheek: ;)

But this week had been good.

2-1B
09-01-2008, 04:26 PM
One of the things I learned in school, work, and life in general is to make good on our responsibilities to others.

I also learned that if I have time to spend posting frivalously on the interwebs, then I definitely have time to get to a post office to follow up on such responsibilities.

Maybe I have a higher standard, though...maybe it's just me. :confused:

TeeEye7
09-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Here's some info published in our newspaper today regarding "hot jobs" needed in my area (South/Central California) for the next several years:

Jobs needing a BA or higher:

Engineering managers. Est. annual salary: $118,940
Accountants and auditors: $65,860
Computer software engineers, systems software: $89,998

Jobs needing 2 years training or education

Registered nurse: $71,046
Po-lice Officer: $72,483
Firefighter: $67,931

Jobs needing one year of training or experience:

Bookkeeping, accounting, auditing clerks: $35,419
Customer service representative*: $29,881
Sales representative, wholesale and manufacturing: $67,248.
*HAH! Customer service doesn't exist any more!!!!

Anyhoo, I thought this was interesting wanted to pass it on.

Jedi_Kal-El
09-01-2008, 07:14 PM
One of the things I learned in school, work, and life in general is to make good on our responsibilities to others.

I also learned that if I have time to spend posting frivalously on the interwebs, then I definitely have time to get to a post office to follow up on such responsibilities.

Maybe I have a higher standard, though...maybe it's just me. :confused:

That would be very true, my friend. Had I actually been here posting all that time.

DarthQuack
09-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Stay out of television.....the pay sucks....and you work all hours, every day, all holidays.....I'm still trying to figure out why I still do it....:rolleyes:

TeeEye7
09-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Stay out of television.....the pay sucks....and you work all hours, every day, all holidays.....I'm still trying to figure out why I still do it....:rolleyes:

I think my son would agree. He has a part time job with the local CBS affiliate as an assignment editor in the news room while he's going to school. He's making fifty cents an hour over minimum wage while working wacky hours. Somehow he's making time for college.