PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC Black Ice

mabudonicus
09-02-2008, 09:47 AM
I totally LOVE Bon Scott-era AC DC but they have been kinda real crappy but last weeks "sneak preview" of the Wal-Mart exclusive (NOT a joke oddly enough) album "Black Ice" sucked almost as hard as Van Halen 3

Anyone else hear "rock and roll train" and think it blew goats??
:beard: Iso&Baws

NOyes it sucked LARGE

El Chuxter
09-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Hmmm....

No song with "ball" or "balls" in the title. Do four with "rock" or "rock 'n' roll" make up for that?

It'd be interesting if "War Machine" and "Anything Goes" were covers of the KISS and GNR songs, but I doubt it.

I actually like Van Halen 3, but it's totally not a Van Halen record. Sadly, I don't think they'll ever record anything even that good agan.

But, yeah, this song is pretty weak. The riff is basic and repetitive, even by AC/DC standards*, and Brian Johnson is sounding old and tired. I do not foresee this one on the "Rockin' Deuce: Bigger, Longer, and Taking Care, Sir" motion picture soundtrack.

*--Like Thorogood, Angus has always been quite good with simple chords in the past. Not so sure about this one.

2-1B
09-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Nothin' says rock n roll like "exclusive at Wal-Mart!"

Also the Black Ice title is tired, reminds me of Ozzy's Black Rain from last year.

I love Bon-era AC/DC and I love Brian-era stuff too, so I will give this a chance...I'm not overly optimistic, though. I think it will be hard for them to make a record that sucks, but it could be meh.

Darth Jax
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
i'll be passing, cuz anything musically exclusive to WM can't be good.

El Chuxter
09-02-2008, 11:10 PM
The last Eagles album was quite good, actually.

Darth Jax
09-02-2008, 11:23 PM
The last Eagles album was quite good, actually.

The Eagles are still making music? i thought they were out riding fences and the sales of their greatest hits albums into the sunset.

JediTricks
09-03-2008, 12:11 AM
I heard "Train" on the radio, it reminded me of the way they've been phoning it in since the early '90s, and inspired me to order more Bon Scott AC/DC albums off the web. Not joking, I wasn't going to get "Let There Be Rock" and "Powerage" until I heard the new song and realized that the only way I'm going to enjoy more AC/DC is if I buy more Bon Scott albums. It's funny, as a kid I kinda dug the Brian Johnson stuff, but as an adult it all feels so incredibly shallow, the Van Halen comparison is totally justified.

2-1B
09-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Let There Be Rock is my favorite AC/DC album !

Mad Slanted Powers
09-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Let There Be Rock is my favorite AC/DC album !
Mine is probably Powerage. Flick of the Switch is underrated in my opinion. Let There Be Rock is certainly one of their best songs, especially since his amp caught fire during the song.

El Chuxter
09-03-2008, 10:51 AM
It's funny, as a kid I kinda dug the Brian Johnson stuff, but as an adult it all feels so incredibly shallow, the Van Halen comparison is totally justified.

I dunno. Even if they dropped off pretty consistently since, Back in Black is still their best album IMHO. Of course, everything else is 100% Bon Scott, minus a few songs like "Thunderstruck" and "Moneytalks." And even Back in Black only narrowly beats High Voltage entirely on the merits of "You Shook Me All Night Long."

And, to their credit, Stiff Upper Lip was the most experimental (for lack of a better term) stuff they've done since Bon died.

bobafrett
09-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I enjoy "Rock N Roll ain't noise pollution". I also am a fan of there older stuff. I can't stand "Thunderstruck", Blah, me says!

mabudonicus
09-03-2008, 05:18 PM
As far as I'm concerned, AC DC is on the same historical page as Metallica- when Bon Scott died, the band died with him (with only the very next album, still imbued with his spirit, being halfway decent IMO, with a string of singles that sort of stand out following like I aforementioned Thunderstruck)

"And Justice..." was the last Cliff-containing album McTallica made and the last one I can even consider listening to

"Rock and Roll Train" could have been text-messaged in, screw the phone. AC DC has become a really sad joke in too many ways.

OH and possibly the best "classic": album is "If You Want Blood", great power mix of rockers IMO

my unit could write AND perform more compellin material

Mad Slanted Powers
09-03-2008, 07:50 PM
I dunno. Even if they dropped off pretty consistently since, Back in Black is still their best album IMHO. Of course, everything else is 100% Bon Scott, minus a few songs like "Thunderstruck" and "Moneytalks." And even Back in Black only narrowly beats High Voltage entirely on the merits of "You Shook Me All Night Long."The thing is I don't really care for "You Shook Me All Night Long." It's not a bad song, I just think it gets too much attention. That album was out in 1980, but I remember several years later in high school, they would sometimes play this at a pep assembly or something, and I can recall some girls being all excited that they were playing the song as if it was the latest greatest tune. Meanwhile, I'm thinking "What is the big deal? This song is old news and there are better songs on the album anyway."

For Those About To Rock was pretty good, as was Flick of the Switch, though the latter didn't seem to get the attention. Fly on the Wall had some good tunes, but I'm not familiar with it outside of a few songs. Who Made Who was mostly old stuff and was probably the reason "You Shook Me All Night Long" was getting played a lot again. After that, I never followed them that closely. My brother had Blow Up Your Video. I gave it a listen once and I guess it didn't impress me much. Razor's Edge had the great tune "Thunderstruck", but I don't remember any other songs from it that I liked, as I only heard the entire album maybe once or twice. I don't remember anything from Ballbreaker. The title track from Stiff Upper Lip sounded pretty good, but was nothing special. That's probably how I feel about "Rock 'n Roll Train". I only listened to part of it on Youtube last night. It sounded good, but nothing particularly new and exciting.

JediTricks
09-04-2008, 04:48 PM
I dunno. Even if they dropped off pretty consistently since, Back in Black is still their best album IMHO. Of course, everything else is 100% Bon Scott, minus a few songs like "Thunderstruck" and "Moneytalks." And even Back in Black only narrowly beats High Voltage entirely on the merits of "You Shook Me All Night Long."Musically, Back in Black is a strong album, but Brian Johnson doesn't have any attitude, any rock & roll gravitas or weight, that chip on the shoulder which made Bon Scott so damned brilliant. What can Brian Johnson sing about where he sounds authentic? "I like sex", wow, real stretch there buddy. Look at the variety of concepts and attitudes Scott throws out there on Dirty Deeds or Highway to Hell, the changes in pacing, the blues and punk attitudes - Johnson has none of those skills, he's just a voice a la Sammy Hagar (I suppose technically that's backwards and Hagar is a Brian Johnson, but I don't think it's seen that way). I'm obviously not the AC/DC aficionado you folks are, but that's how it seems to me, the further away from Bon Scott's attitude the band got, the more phoned-in they got musically, and Johnson has never had any depth to what he brings to the table - he's competent for the sound but shallow.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Meh, I don't really like any of it that much. And "Black Ice" sounds like a Gatorade flavor.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Musically, Back in Black is a strong album, but Brian Johnson doesn't have any attitude, any rock & roll gravitas or weight, that chip on the shoulder which made Bon Scott so damned brilliant. What can Brian Johnson sing about where he sounds authentic? "I like sex", wow, real stretch there buddy. Look at the variety of concepts and attitudes Scott throws out there on Dirty Deeds or Highway to Hell, the changes in pacing, the blues and punk attitudes - Johnson has none of those skills, he's just a voice a la Sammy Hagar (I suppose technically that's backwards and Hagar is a Brian Johnson, but I don't think it's seen that way). I'm obviously not the AC/DC aficionado you folks are, but that's how it seems to me, the further away from Bon Scott's attitude the band got, the more phoned-in they got musically, and Johnson has never had any depth to what he brings to the table - he's competent for the sound but shallow.I sort of agree. A song like "Let There Be Rock" definitely feels like or has the energy of punk. I think I read that they didn't go over well with the punk crowds in England at the time. There were sort of somewhere in between doing their own thing. There was a definite shift in the tone of the music with Back in Black. It fit in more with the heavy metal sound, whereas the earlier stuff had a looser, less distorted sound and more bluesy riffs. They also had a good sense of humor with songs like "Big Balls". Brian's voice seemed to have been ruined sometime between Flick of the Switch and Razor's Edge. While a song like "Thunderstruck" still sounded pretty good, it just seemed like the voice was more gravelly and strained.

El Chuxter
10-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Read this in an article at Yahoo! (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081013/music_nm/us_acdc;_ylt=AiqaDJpEs.t2C1hyGcIY.DVxFb8C):

Under its new contract with Sony's Columbia Music, "Black Ice" will be available only at retailer Wal-Mart and its Sam's Club stores, as well as AC/DC's website.

"A lot of people were saying 'Ah man, you're going to the big Wal-Mart, you're selling out,' Johnson said.

"Wal-Mart were the only big store to stock all of our albums, every single one of them, and they've never deviated. And they sold AC/DC shirts and pajamas for kids, which we thought was really cool," he said.
I just think that's funny on so many levels.

They were the only major retailer to stock all AC/DC's albums? Why is it, then, that I only see High Voltage, Back in Black, and Live there?

And they sell pajamas for kids, and that's what is so cool you go exclusive to them? Huh? That is so not metal that it boggles my imagination. If 7-11 were to sell Back in Black flavored slurpees, would AC/DC release an exclusive album to them?

As much as I hate going to WM, I got the Eagles album. It was good. But this, along with the recent exclusive Journey album, sucked pretty hard. Combine a sucky album by a once-great band with exclusivity at a store I don't like, and you've essentially alienated me.

It was a good ride, Angus.

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Listening to their last few albums, it's clear they're about the money.

mabudonicus
10-21-2008, 11:24 AM
I mentioned in the first post how bad this stuff reeks. I am hopin that there will be some syndicated "preview/release" dealie so I can listen to it like I listened to Van Halen 3- in the comfort of my own home secure in the knowledge that I will never have to hear it again
We have been joking that most of the tracks should be totally corporate, songs like PS2 and "Pepsi beats Coke" and ideally a classic inneuendo-laden tune entitled "Swiffer"

Man, they should have just not said anything, the lame "defense" makes the situation infinitely more lame somehows

Can't wait to hear the reviews :D

Mad Slanted Powers
10-21-2008, 07:59 PM
I mentioned in the first post how bad this stuff reeks. I am hopin that there will be some syndicated "preview/release" dealie so I can listen to it like I listened to Van Halen 3- in the comfort of my own home secure in the knowledge that I will never have to hear it again

You can listen to it at Wal-Mart's website right now.

http://soundcheck.walmart.com/acdc/#/music

JetsAndHeels
10-22-2008, 11:58 AM
The teaming up with Wal-Mart as an exclusive retailer was mistake #1. That guarantees it will be watered down and not as authentic. I am no ACDC expert by any means, but I own several of their albums and I knew from the minute I heard Black Ice was a WM exclusive that this thing was going to be a failure.

And since then WM has turned into "ACDC headquarters". Kids are coming to school wearing their shirts and hats, acting as if they know about this band, and when you ask them they say "oh, its a cool logo."

Mad Slanted Powers
10-22-2008, 12:33 PM
I listened to some of it last night on the Wal-Mart website. There were some decent tracks, but it seemed hit and miss. I agree with the watered down comment, but not because it is at Wal-Mart. I think that maybe they have just run out of ideas and don't have the edge they used to have. In the 70's with Bon Scott, they were playing hard rocking blues based music with the energy of punk and a bit of a metal image. With Back in Black, their sound and image became a bit more metal. Over the years since then, they just seemed to make less consistent music, with the occasional great tune like "Thunderstruck".

2-1B
10-23-2008, 08:29 PM
I haven't been compelled to buy this yet...and I've been to Wal-Mart probably 3 times this week already. :(

JediTricks
10-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Man, there's just nothing here for me, it's mostly generic and lacking any soul. Wheels is the only one I think doesn't sound entirely phoned in, and that's just the energy and impact coming mostly from the drums.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-26-2008, 03:35 AM
I still haven't listened to the whole thing, but I liked "Rock N Roll Train", and a couple others were all right.

Tycho
09-07-2009, 11:10 PM
So I went to see the AC/DC "Black Ice Tour" last night. Here are some pictures. Good times...

Tycho
09-07-2009, 11:27 PM
There were evangelizing Christians with a huge cross taking on the AC/DC fans wearing those light-up devil horns you can see in the pictures of the audience in this huge shouting-match.

It's just proof that few people know too little about whatever they think they're making some huge stance for or against.

I couldn't resist however: I have to take my 9pm meds prescribed for me by my doctors so as to protect my kidney transplant. I decided to exit the concert and go out into the parking lot and sit down with some water in front of the evangelicals. Then I proceeded to pop my pills in to my mouth one at a time to the Christians' horror as I yelled "Yeah! Go Jesus!" and threw up my rock 'n roll devil signs!

They thought I must have been doing hardcore uppers or downers and just as I got my last one down, one of the Christians rushed out of their line to "save me" and was yelling "Don't do that! You're only harming yourself!"

I said "No I'm not. I'm just like Rush Limbaugh!" Then I pretended my prescribed kidney drugs made me high, and suddenly stood up and drawled "Zombieeeee.....Zombieeeee! Me EAT BRAINS!!!!" and the dude like backed up like "Holy $#!%!"

I'm probably sure I shouldn't have done that, but it was too much fun. Other AC/DC fans were laughing and a couple gave me a high-five. But I just re-inforced the totally wrong stereotype those evangelicals have of us already. But I'm sure they would have blindly held on to their opinions anyway.

Too much fun.

Here's some more pics from the concert.

Oh, when it came time for "Hell's Bells" (see picture) I shouted out loud in the concert "It's Trevor Time!" I was sitting so close that the guys in AC/DC heard me and were like "WTF? Who's Trevor?" But the San Diegans in the audience who are Padres fans like I am know something AC/DC might not about their own music: for YEARS and YEARS here in San Diego, "Hell's Bells" was the theme song for Padres' closing pitch-star Trevor Hoffman! All the San Diego fans in the audience turned around and high-fived me or cheered on. Man we got to get Trevor back from Milwaukee!

Even devil worshipers at an AC/DC concert know that!

Mad Slanted Powers
09-08-2009, 12:29 AM
There were evangelizing Christians with a huge cross taking on the AC/DC fans wearing those light-up devil horns you can see in the pictures of the audience in this huge shouting-match.

It's just proof that few people know too little about whatever they think they're making some huge stance for or against.

I couldn't resist however: I have to take my 9pm meds prescribed for me by my doctors so as to protect my kidney transplant. I decided to exit the concert and go out into the parking lot and sit down with some water in front of the evangelicals. Then I proceeded to pop my pills in to my mouth one at a time to the Christians' horror as I yelled "Yeah! Go Jesus!" and threw up my rock 'n roll devil signs!

They thought I must have been doing hardcore uppers or downers and just as I got my last one down, one of the Christians rushed out of their line to "save me" and was yelling "Don't do that! You're only harming yourself!"

I said "No I'm not. I'm just like Rush Limbaugh!" Then I pretended my prescribed kidney drugs made me high, and suddenly stood up and drawled "Zombieeeee.....Zombieeeee! Me EAT BRAINS!!!!" and the dude like backed up like "Holy $#!%!"

I'm probably sure I shouldn't have done that, but it was too much fun. Other AC/DC fans were laughing and a couple gave me a high-five. But I just re-inforced the totally wrong stereotype those evangelicals have of us already. But I'm sure they would have blindly held on to their opinions anyway.

Too much fun.Indeed, but after having fun with them, you should have explained what you were really taking. That would have made them feel stupid and maybe actually taught them something.

Did they play "Down Payment Blues"?

Tycho
09-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Did they play "Down Payment Blues"?

No. I'll try and remember the set list. I am not the huge AC/DC fan but I really enjoyed the performance and might just yet "jump on the train." I mean why not? They brought the train with them, didn't they?

But as a matter of fact, I saw some members of the audience wearing Pink Floyd shirts and I asked them if they also liked Queensryche. They asked "Who?"

Grumble. Grumble....

Mad Slanted Powers
09-08-2009, 01:02 AM
But as a matter of fact, I saw some members of the audience wearing Pink Floyd shirts and I asked them if they also liked Queensryche. They asked "Who?"That's when you say, "No, not The Who, Queensryche."

El Chuxter
09-08-2009, 11:58 AM
They were the kids who got the shirts at Target because they thought they were cool, went to the concert to see what sort of music this band played, and decided they would look dorky if they wore shirts for the band, so they went to Wal-Mart to find what other possible band name from before their births they could find to wear. If they got backstage passes to a Pink Floyd concert, they'd ask which one was Pink.

El Chuxter
09-08-2009, 12:03 PM
And, jumping back a bit, turns out the new WM exclusive Journey album wasn't too bad. (I'm more willing to give things a chance when local stores try to clear them out, which doesn't take long, and is why I wonder why anyone would go exclusive with them. They've even got Garth Brooks' whole catalog at $3 per album after making such a huge deal about him going exclusive with them for distribution on all his CDs, minus Chris Gaines, which he pretends never happened. Sort of like Van Halen 3, it's a massively underrated gem.)