PDA

View Full Version : End the build a droid, liars

pbarnard
09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Dear Hasbro,

Please stop this build a droid madness. First, most of these build a droids are highly desirable and would move if they were packed on single cards. This is wasteful. It is wasteful in the amount of plastic (refined petroleum byproducts) used in production, wasteful of mine and others money, and wasteful of all our times trying to find that one last piece to complete the droids.

The build a character is not new. You have for years in Q&As said that you would never do it to the collectors, yet here you have for fear of creating peg warming and angst (more than usual) in the fandom. Hasbro has just acquired the Marvel license, but didn’t you learn any lesson from ToyBiz and the Marvel Legends line? People hated the fact they had to look for that one item to complete their build a figure. Yet, with a line with wider appeal, you’d subject us all to the same? You’ve done this in the past with Transformers or do the concepts of Stunticons, Aerialbots, Predicons, Protectobots, Combaticons, Terrocons and Technobots ring a bell? How many out there ended up one or two short and unable to finish their giant robot?

To top it off, you’re making many collectors buy some figure that we don’t need to buy a component to a droid, than return it either with or without another droid part because the employees at these retail centers are either too dumb or too lazy or too apathetic to check that we’re pulling the old switcheroo. This than creates outrage to the next person/kid who comes along and doesn’t find the part they’re looking for. Hasbro you yourself have created the exact angst you said you didn’t want.

Me, I’m more honest. I trade away the figures, buy only the bodies and heads I use and in the case of the astromechs, specifically the R7s, I use vintage droid legs painted and finish them off as customs further reducing the probability that some one will build a complete droid where I live. This reduces the waste and eliminates my need to buy your useless figures you’re trying to saddle me with. How long till you release an exclusive with the R7s and protocol droids we want in some battle pack or online exclusive?

Thank you Hasbro for alienating yet another person with a concept you said you wouldn’t do.

bigbarada
09-07-2008, 09:09 PM
They offer each part in more than one figure per wave. So if you don't like one, there's a chance you might want the second one.

Besides, I don't think insulting Hasbro is an effective way to get them to listen to your concerns.

pbarnard
09-07-2008, 10:28 PM
They offer each part in more than one figure per wave. So if you don't like one, there's a chance you might want the second one.

Besides, I don't think insulting Hasbro is an effective way to get them to listen to your concerns.

You mean pointing out that for 1.5 years they said they wouldn't do anything like a build a figure pack in than change their minds? They have to listen to me slightly, I own pieces of them in my portfolio. Or the fact that all the parts, imo, are being put with figures I don't find desirable at all?

jediguy
09-07-2008, 11:06 PM
They have to listen to me slightly, I own pieces of them in my portfolio.

if you wield that much power, please use it responsibly

I, for one, enjoy the concept and am glad that the corporation has finally decided to listen to the little guy for a change

please use your power with great discretion

I don't think many of us want any more little holograms chess pieces or coins

this build a droid thing is better than those, and certainly better than nothing at all

bigbarada
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
1. You mean pointing out that for 1.5 years they said they wouldn't do anything like a build a figure pack in than change their minds?

2. They have to listen to me slightly, I own pieces of them in my portfolio.

3. Or the fact that all the parts, imo, are being put with figures I don't find desirable at all?

1. I'm pretty sure that if you were to carefully read the wording on those statements, then Hasbro never actually ruled out the possibility.

2. Okay, I assume that means you own stock in Hasbro?

3. I understand that completely. Aside from wave 1, I'd say that 95% of the figures coming out are duds as far as I'm concerned. But that's pretty much been the case for me since 2005; so I guess I'm kind of used to it.

Neuroleptic
09-07-2008, 11:49 PM
I did go a little crazy and buy figures to compleate a Biuld a Droid. But to be fair, they were figures that I wanted, but would have STILL passed on due to my monthly spending budget.

So, just once I cheated. Hasbro got a little extera cash, I got a few figures I otherwise would have passed on, and we're both happy.

While I don't plan to intentionaly do this in the future, I buy enough figures to eventualy cobble together a mis-mashed droid, and that's going to be good enough for me in the future unless I feel like paying a couple of bucks for a leg here and there on E-bay.

I agree with everyone else, in that I actualy LIKE this pack in with the figures. The ONE reason I'd be for removing it, would be if it substantualy lowered the price.

With the price of oil these days, that's not likely. So it only makes sence that Hasbro add an insentive to sort of make up for the price increases.

Though, I do miss the figure stands.

El Chuxter
09-07-2008, 11:56 PM
I'd like some RA droids, but I'm not buying re-released minor Jedi, holograms, and Clonetroopers to get them. I might be helping some folks out with some pieces.

bigbarada
09-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I'd like some RA droids, but I'm not buying re-released minor Jedi, holograms, and Clonetroopers to get them. I might be helping some folks out with some pieces.

It actually does suck that the only droid I've seriously wanted so far has been packaged with the biggest dud of a wave.

Maybe they'll package a silver version of that droid with one of the upcoming OT waves. That would be nice.

However, I strongly agree with jediguy, this is much better than the previous pack ins. The little hologram figures were nice at first, but I eventually just started throwing them in the trash because it was the same figures over and over again. Also they created arbitrary "variants" because the pack ins were random (aside from matching up good guys to good guys and bad guys to bad guys).

The coins were a nice nod to the vintage POTF line, but they weren't enough of an incentive to save the line in 1985 and they really just turned into piles of cheap, worthless metal in the modern line.

This BaD thing is brilliant on Hasbro's part, because it has me digging through figures I normally wouldn't give a second glance to in order to determine what droid part they come with. And if you buy all the figures, you don't end up with piles of useless garbage, you end up with extra figures.

mikecypress
09-08-2008, 12:42 AM
All of the droid factory 2 packs at Wal-Mart are repacks. The droids are new, but Watto, Vader, Hoth Han Solo, Luke/x-wing are all recycled figures that Hasbro had too many of sitting in a warehouse somewhere. The only one that was worth it is shirtless Kit Fisto, I missed him the 1st two times he was released.
I have noticed alot of build-a-figures with the parts missing or one or two of the figures in sets being replaced by generic figures. Me personally, I look very close at everything I buy because of this and also messed up paint jobs on the faces.
I just wish Hasbro would quit trying to recycle all of their extra crap and if they are going to recycle, give us the figures that were actually hard to find. Why doesn't Hasbro just get on E-Bay and find all the over priced stuff and just re-release that stuff?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-08-2008, 01:22 AM
bigbarada, the silver RA-7 droid is coming in the ROTS wave.

plasticfetish
09-08-2008, 02:41 AM
The only time that a "build-a" campaign starts to bother me, is when it causes a price increase, and/or I'm not into all of the figures that you need to buy to assemble the figure.

Seeing as how I've only picked up six figures since the new line launched, and mostly because of the price increase, I'd have to admit that though I do like the concept, I'm not exactly caught up in build-a-droid fever.

It's just not cool enough to get me to pay $8 for a repaint, or push me into buying something that I was hesitating over. I think I'm probably not even a fan of half of the droids... which are probably the ones that I own pieces of.

bigbarada
09-08-2008, 05:01 AM
bigbarada, the silver RA-7 droid is coming in the ROTS wave.

Ah well, :upset: scratch that then. It's no biggie, it would have been nice to have, but I can live without it.

JediTricks
09-08-2008, 05:41 AM
First off, build-a-droid is not adding to the cost, the cost went up first and the parts are a value-compensator. Given the choice between droid parts and another coin or stand or Holo minifig or Jedi Force File or Flashback Photo or Freeze Frame slide, I'll take droid parts every time because they can be used in the SW figure universe where the others cannot (except the stands, but after a while that gets old, and I barely used a couple of the hundred or so that I own).

Secondly, there is no point where Hasbro ever said they'd NEVER do a build-a-figure, they said in '06 it wasn't likely at that time, and later said they'd be very unlikely to do a build-a-diorama or build-a-vehicle or build-a-beast, but did not ever say they'd never do build-a-figure.
June 16th, 2006, the first time they were asked about build-a-_____ for Star Wars:

JediDefender: With the HUGE success of the Marvel Legends Build-a-Figure idea, is there any chance that we might see that implemented in the 3.75" Star Wars line to get figures (such as Hermi Odle or a new Probot) or maybe playsets (like a Jabba's Dais or Moisture Evaporator)?
Hasbro: Not at this time.
-and-

GalacticHunter: With Hasbro's recent acquisition of the Marvel license, can we hope to see modular pieces (a la build-a- figure/vehicle/playset) introduced into the Star Wars line? Many larger-scale figures and mini-sized vehicles could finally see production this way.
Hasbro: Not at this time.
or this answer from Oct 27th, 2006 where they don't even deny it:

Yakface.com: Rather than give us pack ins that most fans don't want like the Hologram figures and coins, would it be possible to give fans something that they want and could go with their figures? How about something similar to the Marvel "build a bigger figure" wave of figures, but instead Star Wars figures could come with pieces that go together to make up a location set or accessory from the movies. I originally had an idea of deluxe modular sets but this could be scaled down to a piece of wall, floor or door per figure. This would give the fans what there after, a playset of some sort without Hasbro needing more space in stores and larger parts could even be provided in battle packs etc. They could still take or leave certain figures and Hasbro would sell more figures through a more attractive offering.
Hasbro: We think there is a demand for the coins and we're happy to get the chance in an anniversary year to bring back this cool pack-in. Not every fan will want every pack-in we offer, but we think the coins have a certain nostalgic magic that is just what we were looking for next year. As for the future, it's too early to say but we're looking at lots of ideas. With the rising cost of materials (plastic resin, metal, paper) we feel lucky to be able to offer something next year and hopefully we can keep that going for future years too.
Here, it's the question that claims it, not the answer, from Dec 15th '06:

Yakface.com: I know the Q&A has had a lot of new vehicle and playset questions and you have told us why you don't make them, but fans are not convinced by these reasons because, they walk down the toy aisles seeing other large toy companies and small companies (who have less funding and resources than Hasbro, make new molds without the issues Hasbro has with making new molds) filling the shelves with new vehicles and playsets for their toy lines, which the retailers obviously don't mind selling in their shops and are being bought; many items could be listed in one store alone. GI Joe being an example of the outcome of this. I would of thought as a toy maker, Hasbro would want to constantly put out new product not just new packaging to keep it fresh, to be Innovative and up to date in your chosen business. For example Hasbro has said no to build-a-figure suggestions, but the next Buffy wave of figures will have it so it must be a good idea. This is the point most fans don’t get Hasbro turned it down; though the company will experiment with items like Choppers and Playskool etc. As well as fans, Kids want new Vehicles and Playsets to put their favourite figures in, as we all did when we were kids. Collectors will only buy so many Jedi Starfighter repaints before they've had enough and most kids will only want one of each different vehicle, again as we all did when we were young, because we wanted new ships not the same we already had but in a different colour.Sorry if this sounds more like a rant than a question, but this is the frustration many fans have, we feel let down compared to other fans and kids. You have given us some great figures and battle packs but what about the rest? My question boils down to how come you give reasons, saying you can't do something or you say retailers have an issue with shelf space, when other Toy companies are doing it and retailers are stocking it?
Hasbro: Just because other companies are doing something does not mean it is a successful business model, or that even if it successful for them does not mean that it would be successful for Hasbro or for Star Wars to pursue. We cannot speak for other Hasbro brands, because they have different strategic objectives and make a decision to allocate their resources against the objectives that are going to be important for them to gain momentum with kids. However, we are committed to making new vehicles and that has been well-discussed, as vehicles are an important part of the play pattern. The development of playsets in an inordinately expensive, time-consuming and resource intensive endeavor that has not proven, in Star Wars, to be worth the investment. It literally means that we would be doing less of other things like figures or vehicles, and we do not think that this tradeoff is worth it.
These 2 questions doesn't ask about figures, so they doesn't get figures answers, both from May 11th, 2007:

SWcollector.com: From joenubb: Now that Hasbro has gained the Marvel license and build-a-figures are all the rage, could we see something like that apply to a playset or larger vehicle for Star Wars? With fifteen or so vehicles in 2007, either confirmed or rumored, would it be profitable enough to include pieces with each vehicle to build, say an AT-TE, Jabba's Palace, or Star Destroyer?
Hasbro: The build-a concept is not unique or proprietary to Marvel. If we felt it was a sound model, we would look at it where it made sense for Star Wars but have yet to really find something that works in the Star Wars context. Specifically to your question, if we felt that we had an opportunity to tool up and deliver these vehicles (or playsets) we would pursue outright doing these and not as build-a-figures. By doing them as build-a-figures does not help with the issue of huge design and development and tooling expenses associated with these vehicles. In fact, it makes it worse by raising the average costs considerably!
-and-

JediInsider.com: Will we ever see Star Wars Build-A-Figures like those done with Marvel Legends? Maybe something like Jabba The Hutt?
Hasbro: We would just do a new Jabba the Hutt instead. Many of the concepts that work in other build-a lines do not translate to Star Wars (for instance, there really aren't that many great "mid-sized" creatures). We prefer, instead, to just outright make those things that we think have the most appeal.
This answer from Jan 18th, '08, hints at doing it while turning down the actual idea presented:

BobasBounty.net: I recently discovered I still had my old Droid Factory Playset. Is there any chance of an updated version? Or a build your own Astromech type set?
Hasbro: Well that's a very interesting question. While there are no plans for
playsets in Star Wars, the play pattern you describe would be fun. Stay tuned….
And that is every answer on Build-a-Figure up until they confirmed the concept, nowhere in which they say they won't ever do it.

Thirdly, Hasbro's at least putting out duplicate parts via reissued figures either from previous waves or in Greatest Hits, no other BAF line has done that.

Fourthly, what's to learn from the Toy Biz Marvel Legends line, how to succeed for years? Collectors may have hated tracking down the final figure to complete their BAFs, but those BAFs in the Toy Biz line were generally super popular. And unlike that line, Star Wars has the benefit of interchangeable parts, if you don't get the leg you want, there are others that will fit.

Fifthly, I've yet to see or even hear about Build-a-Droid parts being stolen, it seems like those would be a few isolated incidents, like with the crappy Holograms.

Sixthly, I honestly don't get the hate here, there's plenty not to like at Hasbro, even with these figs - some have weak paint and all are a little short - but none of the reasons here seem to fit the anger over the concept, especially when you admit to trading and buying the parts you want anyway.

Jargo
09-08-2008, 09:00 AM
personally speaking the build a droids just plain out suck. given that i limit my purchases to a very narrow grouping of characters i've only ended up with one of the R7 droids. which has zero appeal to me. I'm seeing these build a droid figures in exactly the same way i saw the coins or the stands or the holograms. just junk to chuck out with the packaging.

frankly i'd rather they got rid of the BAD figures and reduced the cost of the toys.

Kidhuman
09-08-2008, 10:16 AM
this to me is the best pack in ever. If you buy 4 figures, you get one free(6 for protocol droids). Whats not to like here?

El Chuxter
09-08-2008, 10:46 AM
You have to buy four or six figures. Fine if that's four ROTJ figures (or figures that fit into any theme, for that matter), not so fine if it's one EU figure (Jodo Kast), one slightly repainted Imperial (Imperial Engineer), one hologram (Dooku), one two-pack of Jedi reissues (Even Piell/Yaddle), and the rest lame-arse Clonetroopers.

I can see BigB's point--why would an ANH Death Star Droid (the only one of these, as far as I can tell, that wasn't totally fabricated for this gimmick) come with ROTS figures? Despite what Hasbro pretends to think, they surely can't not know that there are a lot of OT collectors who would pass on any prequel stuff.

jediguy
09-08-2008, 03:22 PM
today on my toy run I came across the first droid part theft I have seen
someone took the droid part out of the package for the GH Kashyyk trooper at a Walmart

JediTricks
09-08-2008, 07:18 PM
frankly i'd rather they got rid of the BAD figures and reduced the cost of the toys.Doesn't work that way, the BAF didn't add a buck to the costs, the costs went up significantly either way, you take the BAF part out and the figure wouldn't drop in price, we'd just have less stuff for the same money.

plasticfetish
09-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Doesn't work that way, the BAF didn't add a buck to the costs, the costs went up significantly either way, you take the BAF part out and the figure wouldn't drop in price, we'd just have less stuff for the same money.It's pretty obvious that in this case the BAF didn't cause the price increase. Cost of materials, cost of shipping, and an ever increasing opinion that collectors of all ages are willing to pay $7 or $8 for even the lamest Star Wars figure is behind the price increase.

If anything, I was thinking about some of the recent Marvel Legends BAFs when I mentioned how if it caused the price to go up, it could start to bother me. (In particular the Fin Fang Foom wave, but mostly I'm just p***ed that I'm one figure short, because they short-packed the f***king figure that came with his head.)

But anyway... if anything, I don't "hate" the idea (it's a great idea really), it's just that I don't care enough to force myself to buy a bunch of mediocre figures just to get those droids.

...especially at the price that most stores are charging for a basic Star Wars figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-09-2008, 12:53 AM
You have to buy four or six figures. Fine if that's four ROTJ figures (or figures that fit into any theme, for that matter), not so fine if it's one EU figure (Jodo Kast), one slightly repainted Imperial (Imperial Engineer), one hologram (Dooku), one two-pack of Jedi reissues (Even Piell/Yaddle), and the rest lame-arse Clonetroopers.

I can see BigB's point--why would an ANH Death Star Droid (the only one of these, as far as I can tell, that wasn't totally fabricated for this gimmick) come with ROTS figures? Despite what Hasbro pretends to think, they surely can't not know that there are a lot of OT collectors who would pass on any prequel stuff.
The droids are random . . . that is to say, just because it's a ROTS wave, doesn't mean it will come with a ROTS droid. And the silver Death Star Droid was actually not even in the movie; it was originally "made" by Kenner, who apparently thought that the chrome Sandcrawler RA-7 was silver back in the day.

And it's actually not that bad that the repaint wave comes with an updated version of an old figure (the black RA-7), so for some people, it's not necessarily a have-to-have-it thing.

And the ANH wave has a droid from ANH; the R5 who moves across the screen while the sandtroopers interrogate Luke and Obi-Wan. And the R4-D6 is a more accurate version of R4-I9, the black droid who looks more navy blue in the film. So they're not all made-up by Hasbro. The names of some of them actually correspond to droids mentioned offhand in some EU . . . check them out on Wookieepedia.

Jargo
09-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Don't argue with me or I keeeeeell you!

DarkArtist
09-10-2008, 09:00 AM
i have to say i'm a HUGE fan of the Build a Droid line and hope it continues for quite some time. the idea of being able to build multiple droids and change them around to create new droids is awesome. plus it's a great way of getting some of the more obscure droids from the trilogy along with some EU droids that many people might pass on.

if you think about it this is no different from other pack-ins by Hasbro, stands, coins, holo figures etc. basically if you don't want to buy every figure then pass on them, i'msure army builders and people who have extra parts will trade or sell.

Blue2th
09-10-2008, 09:41 AM
I like the build-a-droid. As was said it's a lot better pack in than the stupid holograms. I've got a box of those. I think I might have even thrown away a few. I did like the coins, and you got a nice card with cool art work on the TAC.

Just the other day I saw a kid with his parents in TRU trying to figure out which one they needed to complete a droid he already started. They asked me what was in the little white boxes of the Legends thinking it was more droid parts, so they obvoiusly didn't buy any of those. They weren't interested in the animated figures either. I think the Legacy figures will outsell the others for that reason in the long run.
Sure I don't like the price increase but all figures are up, including the Legends without interesting pack-ins or with limited articulation like the animated.

With the Legacy figures, not only do you get better articulated mostly new sculpt figures with a realistic style, but you also get to build a droid.

Did someone say? "what's not to like"

cookiemonster
09-10-2008, 11:29 AM
First let me say I like building these Droids.

Now let me also say it's a pain in the behind to build these Droids, for these reasons mentioned:-

1) The old take the part out of the back and leave the figure there trick.

2) Also for the amount of people who are claiming they dont like the Idea, how many people are actually selling these parts, I havent seen any, trading is just as bad.

3) Also like people have pointed out you have to buy an unwanted figure, to get the part that you need.

Blue2th
09-10-2008, 12:12 PM
First let me say I like building these Droids.

Now let me also say it's a pain in the behind to build these Droids, for these reasons mentioned:-

1) The old take the part out of the back and leave the figure there trick.

2) Also for the amount of people who are claiming they dont like the Idea, how many people are actually selling these parts, I havent seen any, trading is just as bad.

3) Also like people have pointed out you have to buy an unwanted figure, to get the part that you need.
They repeat certain parts in other figure packs at least. I saw the same part in two different figures, so you have some options.
It's nothing new to buy figures you don't want. The same thing happened with the coin album, if you wanted to complete it. I think it makes collecting fun. Hasbro is no dummy when it comes to luring you in.

There are the ones who don't want to build a droid. How come they aren't selling or trading those extra parts? huh..huh, if they hate it so much?
I think it's just too tempting not to, and underneath they really like it.

pbarnard
09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
They repeat certain parts in other figure packs at least. I saw the same part in two different figures, so you have some options.
It's nothing new to buy figures you don't want. The same thing happened with the coin album, if you wanted to complete it. I think it makes collecting fun. Hasbro is no dummy when it comes to luring you in.

There are the ones who don't want to build a droid. How come they aren't selling or trading those extra parts? huh..huh, if they hate it so much?
I think it's just too tempting not to, and underneath they really like it.

As I said, I want the droids, but I don't want the hassle of buying a clone I loathe or yet another terrible body version of Han Solo. Just put the damn things on cards and be done with it because that will probably be what they do. They developed and R7 head and body, well make another EE set of droids. I feel like I'm having to pay an exclusive price for a mass distributed good.

I vote recall every time now just for when I'm asked about the board of directors (while they're irrelevant to design deciscions, just to voice displeasure). I have tried to trade them away, the parts and figures I don't want. Guess what, no one wanted them until just recently, and even than it was more me throwing them in to get rid of them than anything.

Blue2th
09-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah it's an initial expense, but what would these cost on a card by themselves? $8.
I see your point though, you wouldn't have to buy as many.

I haven't bought any re-released figures yet except for one Jump Trooper.

Are there any droid parts that are not available otherwise that do not repeat with other figures?

You could if you had the time sell the figures loose in groups on ebay, maybe recoup some of the cost, or check ebay for the droid parts you need, though that might cost you more in the long run anyways.
Like I said Hasbro is no dummy to get you to buy figures.

Any buy-sell-trade droid parts here on SSG?

pbarnard
09-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Any buy-sell-trade droid parts here on SSG?

I did put up the black R4 droid for a bit, but pulled it down to make a custom droid.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/pbarny/Star%20Wars%20Custom%20Figures/bad_vintage_potjR2.jpg
Build a Droid Body, Vintage Legs, Dyed Escape from Naboo Head. I did end up having to drill to make the vintage legs fit into the slot. I have like half a dozen of these vintage droid legs.

Not denying their insidious plan, but definitely calling them on it. Each figure in this wave had to have an increased production cost divided on it to first have the modular system joints of the build a droid parts. The R7 torsos, heads and legs were most new in terms of sculpting and design. Torso and joints were the new expenditures on developing the protocol droids (and C-3PX is a whole other matter, but I got all ove those for 7.00 or less for 2 and 1/6 figures per pack, which I can live with since I wanted the throw away humanoid figures for customizing).

bigbarada
09-10-2008, 01:40 PM
There's no difference in the price between the Legacy figures with the BaD parts and the price of the Clone Wars or Saga Legends figures. So I don't see how anyone can say that the BaD parts are raising the cost of the figures.

pbarnard
09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
There's no difference in the price between the Legacy figures with the BaD parts and the price of the Clone Wars or Saga Legends figures. So I don't see how anyone can say that the BaD parts are raising the cost of the figures.

I'm saying as a share holder it cuts into my margins which they'll pay out in the forms of dividends. The price to tool all the extra figures has to go somewhere. I said specifically, "increased production cost". I did not say causes an increase in price. Two different things entirely, although usually increased production cost is synonymous with passing this cost to buyer.

bigbarada
09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm saying as a share holder it cuts into my margins which they'll pay out in the forms of dividends. The price to tool all the extra figures has to go somewhere. I said specifically, "increased production cost". I did not say causes an increase in price. Two different things entirely, although usually increased production cost is synonymous with passing this cost to buyer.

Well, if you ignore the repaints, then how many new figures have the BaDs actually introduced into the line? Maybe 3?

Wouldn't a single repaint wave more than make up for those extra tooling costs?

Plus, Hasbro has to know that these BaDs will prompt collectors to buy more figures just to get the extra droid parts. It's an annoyance to the collectors, but Hasbro sees it as more sales of entire waves of new figures, thus more money for them. That tiny bit of extra confidence in future sales can go a long way when investing in extra tooling costs.

This also must be cheaper than last year's coins, with required a newly sculpted coin, thus an original mold, for every single figure.

pbarnard
09-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Either way, adds to production costs. Can screw share holder or can screw collector. Not good either way, and there's that annoyance word again. Why annoy the people you want to make happy?

bigbarada
09-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Why annoy the people you want to make happy?

Because "annoyed money" is just as good as "happy money." :D

Most collectors are so invested in this line, that they're not going to stop now and I think Hasbro knows that.

JediTricks
09-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Not denying their insidious plan, but definitely calling them on it. Each figure in this wave had to have an increased production cost divided on it to first have the modular system joints of the build a droid parts. The R7 torsos, heads and legs were most new in terms of sculpting and design. Torso and joints were the new expenditures on developing the protocol droids (and C-3PX is a whole other matter, but I got all ove those for 7.00 or less for 2 and 1/6 figures per pack, which I can live with since I wanted the throw away humanoid figures for customizing).The costs are spread incredibly thin because it's across multiple reuses, both in-wave and in later waves' repaints.

And as pointed out before, this is a value-compensator, not a price increaser. The Clone Wars line has media support and no pack-ins yet it's the same price, Saga Legends is recycled molds and has extra weapons packed in yet is the same price.

I'm saying as a share holder it cuts into my margins which they'll pay out in the forms of dividends. The price to tool all the extra figures has to go somewhere. I said specifically, "increased production cost". I did not say causes an increase in price. Two different things entirely, although usually increased production cost is synonymous with passing this cost to buyer.The cost is passed on to the consumer, and like I said above, the costs on developing the BAFs is shared across multiple uses and repaints. Not to mention the fact that it increases the potential for sales of less popular figures.

Sinscia Fat'o
09-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm really happy with this pack in concept and i hope it's something that keeps up in the future. If you don't like the pack in concept or don't like the figures you have to buy to complete X droid do some net working with other collectors to finish your droid, go to e bay or other sources to find what you need. I'm personally very happy with the entire legacy line and looking forward to the next wave and the next droids.

pbarnard
09-12-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm really happy with this pack in concept and i hope it's something that keeps up in the future. If you don't like the pack in concept or don't like the figures you have to buy to complete X droid do some net working with other collectors to finish your droid, go to e bay or other sources to find what you need. I'm personally very happy with the entire legacy line and looking forward to the next wave and the next droids.

I don't want a second job just to get a piece of plastic that should've been put on a card in the first place (and I have done it, its really taking time that I would rather spend enjoying playing with my figs, customizing my figs, etc). Who here wouldn't buy a single carded R7 or RA-7 style droid from these packs? I don't mind that they're made, I just would rather have them on a single card and b:ninja:ch about the scalpers gobbling them up than this.