PDA

View Full Version : why do they keep making han solo wrong?

crazydave75
09-09-2008, 06:34 PM
:mad:why do hasbro keep ruining han solo? i mean every figure so far has really skinny legs they dont go with his top half i mean he was a smuggler for goodness sake how he manage to run with legs like that? please hasbro make him in proportion:mad:

JediTricks
09-09-2008, 07:56 PM
TOTALLY agree! Granted, trying to get a realistically-scaled upper body wearing a vest to look right against a lower body and a gunbelt can be a challenge, but the result shouldn't be figure after figure of anemic waifs or sideshow freaks that are out of scale to themselves.

Also, it'd be nice to get a Han figure that has a good likeness and isn't making a weird face or wearing a thing on its head. And thinner eyebrows are a must!

bigbarada
09-09-2008, 09:04 PM
It's because Hasbro keeps trying to reuse the skinny VOTC Han Solo legs.

Han Solo's ESB outfit is easily my favorite, so here's hoping that Hasbro starts again from scratch when updating that figure. If they just stick a different head on the Torture Rack Han Solo body, then I am going to be seriously ticked off.:mad:

Darth Jax
09-09-2008, 10:45 PM
At least they tried something different. Rather than just giving us another cantina han repackaged once again on a new card

El Chuxter
09-09-2008, 10:48 PM
They've made excellent figures of Lyle Lovett in Han Solo Disguise and David Duchovny in Han Solo Disguise, though.

Qui-Long Gone
09-10-2008, 11:37 AM
When the Indiana Jones 3/4" figures came out I was hoping you could swap Indy heads for Solo heads, but apparently Mr. Ford does not translate well into action figures....sigh....

The same seems true of every Luke figure too....

crazydave75
09-10-2008, 02:46 PM
we should start a petition to sort out this han solo problem otherwise theyre gonna ruin the bespin han solo when its released and thats always been my favourite out of the trilogy:thumbsup:

Devo
09-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Thank you crazydave, I moan about this quite a lot and I'm glad to see the issue raised again by someone else. I too am sick and tired of seeing Ms Anorexia Solo on the shelves and I too fear for Bespin Han.

I hope someone at hasbro reads this: ENOUGH with recycling parts from VOTC Han - it doesn't work. Han should be larger than Luke and quite comfortably larger than princess Leia - which current interpretations of the character are decidedly not. For gods sake give us an entirely new, properly proportioned Bespin Han and then use that figure as the basis for future Hans.

apparently Mr. Ford does not translate well into action figures....sigh....

He did back in 1995. That POTF2 Han is still the best likeness they've achieved IMO - perhaps we would have hoped for better by now but it hasn't happened. Sometimes I wish they'd just reissue the best looking head and not bother with the balljointing crap - that won't happen of course because ultimately its subjective about what is best. I wouldn't mind seeing a poll asking which figure down through the years has achieved the best likeness of a given character.

Qui-Long Gone
09-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a poll asking which figure down through the years has achieved the best likeness of a given character.

Well Vader for one, but that's cheeting. My money would go to Lando figures....his are usually spot-on.

crazydave75
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
so looks like we're gonna have to get on their case to produce a definative han solo that us fans wil be satisfied with cos its not happaned so far or we're gonna have to put up with stick leg solo again( maybe harrison ford should say somethin to them lollol )

pbarnard
09-11-2008, 03:22 PM
so looks like we're gonna have to get on their case to produce a definative han solo that us fans wil be satisfied with cos its not happaned so far or we're gonna have to put up with stick leg solo again( maybe harrison ford should say somethin to them lollol )

Like what, make my Han Solo figure more accurate or my g/f will go on a hunger strike? :thumbsup:

Let them take baby steps to get it right, first choose, head or legs. Fix one. Baby step, next release a year and half later (to constant fan grumbling) fix the other.

JediTricks
09-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Someone should throw this into the next Q&A poll, I'll definitely ask it if it gets some support. I won't back down from taking Hasbro to task on getting Han's likeness wrong so often, I gave 'em grief for all their main characters actually (got a lot of complaints on that one, but twice as many agrees).

Devo
09-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Someone should throw this into the next Q&A poll, I'll definitely ask it if it gets some support. I won't back down from taking Hasbro to task on getting Han's likeness wrong so often, I gave 'em grief for all their main characters actually (got a lot of complaints on that one, but twice as many agrees).

Didn't we point this out before though? I think it was a question pertaining to the TAC Bespin Han and how very crap that figure was. Their response wasn't very encouraging if memory serves. I don't think they see anything wrong with constantly reusing the VOTC legs despite it being plainly obvious to most of us that they are out of proportion with any torso they put them with.

Well Vader for one, but that's cheeting. My money would go to Lando figures....his are usually spot-on.

I actually meant which specific figures have done the best job on facial likeness from 1995 to present. For me 1995 Han solo, lando calrissian and Yoda stand up pretty well, even being better than a number of recent examples. For me 1995 Han still bears most resemblance to Harrison ford and here we are 13 years later getting a face like the one on aforementioned TAC bespin Han. And not one Indiana jones figure looks anything like Ford.

crazydave75
09-12-2008, 05:27 PM
u got ur support from me jeditricks :thumbsup:but will they listen ? we're but two we need a lot more we need someone to make a mock up of wot we want so they can see wot we want as opposed to lettin them fob us of with words

JediTricks
09-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Hasbro told another site they felt the skinny legs on Han were good, but that next time they do another Han they'd double-check first. Personally, I think they're wacked - all they have to do is compare any Han figure to any Luke figure and see how much skinnier that Han figure is.

El Chuxter
09-14-2008, 04:04 PM
You guys realize the figures are all correct, and Harrison Ford is wrong, right? :p

bigbarada
09-14-2008, 05:13 PM
You guys realize the figures are all correct, and Harrison Ford is wrong, right? :p

Yeah, Lucas totally screwed up in casting Harrison Ford. He should have cast someone who looks more like Han Solo.:D

Qui-Long Gone
09-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Agreed, and had he cast chimps, Monkey-faced-Leia would be worth a fortune!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazydave75
09-30-2008, 02:55 AM
so han solo fans wot we gonna do about it? i want a decent han solo as im sure u do ?

Devo
09-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Join every forum on the internet and moan about it like I do. They all seem to love VOTC han over at rebelscum. I've tried telling them the error of their thinking but to no avail. As long as people keep citing VOTC Han as a benchmark figure Hasbro will keep reusing his anorexic parts for every Han they put out. I'm sick of it. Give me commtech anyday.

Qui-Long Gone
10-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Give me commtech anyday.

With just a couple more points of articulation....just a couple.

bigbarada
10-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Join every forum on the internet and moan about it like I do. They all seem to love VOTC han over at rebelscum. I've tried telling them the error of their thinking but to no avail. As long as people keep citing VOTC Han as a benchmark figure Hasbro will keep reusing his anorexic parts for every Han they put out. I'm sick of it. Give me commtech anyday.

I think VOTC Han is the best version of "original" Han Solo. I don't really understand this hate campaign many people have against him. I don't care about the non-removable vest, since he never took it off in the movie, and I think it's the best likeness we're going to get of Harrison Ford. I don't think he looks anorexic at all, his proportions are actually pretty close to his onscreen appearance.

That being said, however, I don't like the idea of his part being reused for ESB or ROTJ Han Solo figures. Hasbro needs to start from scratch and sculpt all-new figures for his Bespin and Endor outfits.

cookiemonster
10-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I echo BB, I love the VOTC Han Solo, same for the Luke Skywalker, I know people hate them but I dont, and I am glad to know others like them as well.

If any are out of whack its these VOTC Figures.

C-3PO - Should have been scrapped and started again, hell the Basic Line Endor 3PO is much better than this one.
Lando Calrissian - Is this brother going to get any love, I would have loved it if they had made him SA, like Han and Luke.
Princess Leia Organa - Should have been SA.
Ben Kenobi - Just glad they are redoing him, and hopefully under the new cloak he is going to be SA.

JediTricks
10-08-2008, 02:23 AM
VOTC Han is very skinny and doesn't look like the character or the actor. But other than that, it's just peachy. :crazed:

The Endor Bunker battle pack seems to have a new headsculpt for ROTJ Han, and for the first time, I think it may actually look like him. I'm hoping this is a new direction for Hasbro sculpting, but I intend to keep pressuring them on this and Luke likenesses every chance I get in Q&A.

Qui-Long Gone
10-08-2008, 08:18 AM
VOTC Han is very skinny and doesn't look like the character or the actor. But other than that, it's just peachy. :crazed:

The Endor Bunker battle pack seems to have a new headsculpt for ROTJ Han, and for the first time, I think it may actually look like him. I'm hoping this is a new direction for Hasbro sculpting, but I intend to keep pressuring them on this and Luke likenesses every chance I get in Q&A.

Keep up that PRESSURE! :thumbsup:

Devo
10-08-2008, 04:49 PM
The Endor Bunker battle pack seems to have a new headsculpt for ROTJ Han, and for the first time, I think it may actually look like him..

yeah but I said the same about VTSC when I saw the earliest pics and the production version ended up a bit on the crap side of the force. For me the POTF2 remains the best unless Hasbro combine good sculpt and good paint on one figure.

JediTricks
10-09-2008, 04:15 AM
Keep up that PRESSURE! :thumbsup:The more help I have from the voters, the easier that will be.

yeah but I said the same about VTSC when I saw the earliest pics and the production version ended up a bit on the crap side of the force. For me the POTF2 remains the best unless Hasbro combine good sculpt and good paint on one figure.True enough, but hope is what keeps us going. I actually think there have been some figures lately where the likeness is almost there, the TSC gunner figure is one, but they can't quite deliver. The Indy whipping figure's likeness is also there, but none of the other Indy figures are.

omnithx
10-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Personally I can't go past the vintage Kenner Han in Bespin Outfit as my alltime favorite Solo. I couldn't care less about lack of articulation, this figure rocked. Because a picture is worth a thousand words...Here also is a handfull (ha,ha,ha) of Hans, minus a few like AT-ST Han, POTF Tauntaun Han, Deleted scene ROTJ Han and some more I may have forgotten to include.
"Any Han post-1985 is poop" may very well be my new signature!

crazydave75
10-09-2008, 04:24 PM
totally agree with u the vintage bespin han was one of my favourite figures shame they cant produce somethin as good

Qui-Long Gone
10-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Except for fat-head carbonite Han, the Vintage Solos were awesome!

I guess with Han, less can be more and maybe that's what keeps killing his modern versions?

DarkArtist
10-13-2008, 08:53 AM
I can see why this is an ugly topic for some, the recent TAC Torture Rack Solo was a nightmare but I was always a fan of the original VOTC Han Solo ( I thought the proportions were alright. really want to see Hasbro give us a new Bespin Han Solo

Qui-Long Gone
10-14-2008, 03:52 PM
So are we saying that Com Tech Solo had the right proportions, but VOTC Solo had the closest acurate face sculpt and best possibility for articulation?

I'm curious how someone would describe the right han solo? Defining the wrong one takes so little effort....just look at the one in your hand I suppose.

crazydave75
10-14-2008, 05:15 PM
theres so much potential for a decent han just get his proportions right then theyll be sorted we'll all be happy kinda frustrating they everytime u read somewhere theyre releasin a new han it gets our hopes up then there just snatched away lol

cookiemonster
10-16-2008, 10:44 PM
I think in the end it comes down to personal taste, similair to the Vintage Figures Fat Head Han or Normal Head Han (I prefer the later and havent bothered picking Fat Head up, and to be honest I never will).

I am ok with VOTC Han Solo, VTSC Han Solo, VTAC Han Solo - but thats just me, I can see others not being happy with these and thats their choice.

Once I get a Bespin Han Solo done to a competent standard with SA, then I will be complete for Hans, and will pick up the Stormtrooper Han Solo being released next year. After that I want them to start to concentrate on New Republic Han Solo, New Jedi Order Han Solo, Legacy Han Solo and Young Han Solo.

JediTricks
10-18-2008, 03:34 PM
A good definition should start with "Han Solo is neither shorter than Luke Skywalker nor skinnier" and go from there.

Devo
10-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Look VOTC was a fine figure in and of itself. Its decently proportioned in relation to itself only - i.e its head is the right size for its body, its body matches its legs. But it came off too skinny in relation to figures of characters that Han is supposed to be bigger than - such as Luke and Leia. But everyone raved about it at the time because it had excellent poseability. So naturally Hasbro latched onto that and decided VOTC would be the basis for every Han since - a mistake.

Those legs need to go now. We all know how crap the TAC Bespin figure was, I go one further to say VTSC sucked and so too does the pregnant looking Legacy Deleted scene figure - this balloon of a torso on those ridiculous VOTC legs. Since when did Harrison ford look like that.

We need a return to POTJ physical proportions for Han. And don't screw up on the balljoints. The larger frame of the figure would help in this.

JediTricks
10-20-2008, 04:52 PM
VOTC is also a short figure compared to the basic line.

I think they need to start over, look at the scale of Luke, Vader, Chewie, 3PO, and a few other key characters they seem to have gotten a good size for, then build from there.

Devo
10-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I miss those days when I had great confidence in Hasbros ability to do the main characters. I used to think that Han, despite varying degrees of success with the likeness, always seemed to end up a good figure. Even back when POTF2 was the latest and greatest - many of those figures are only crap now in hindsight but we were happy with at the time.

But with some of the abominations Hasbro have put out in recent times I always have a nervous anticipation about what Han and Luke will end up looking like next. With all our fussiness over POA Hasbro keep losing track of the basics of human anatomy. We've seen figures who have no lower jaws, cut off due to balljointing of the neck - hair that 'defies gravity' for the same reason. We've seen severe anorexia, swollen 'old woman' ankles, bulbous shoulders and elbows, fat torsos on stick legs, giraffe necks, child-sized heads on adult bodies - have I missed any?

I remember back in the day, when I were a young lad, the POTJ line just gave us damn good sculpts - and was, in the cases of Leia and Lando, the pinnacle of accurate facial likeness - none of this newfangled articulation to wreck things. Now Hasbro have decided that Harrison ford was anorexic, that mark hamill had dodgy huge shoulders, elbows and knees, and that Carrie fisher had a ridiculously elongated neck. I do fear for a new Bespin Han or any future DSII Luke. Modern doesn't necessarily mean better. It has meant worse in some cases recently.

Sinscia Fat'o
10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Wow, i'm actually really with most of the hans that have come out, VOTC has a great head sculpt, VOTC ROTJ has the best body, Comic pack Storm Trooper Han is cool, Torture Rack Han has the torture rack, Carbonite han from POTF2 is really good to actually...even TAC gunner Han is cool...I just don't see why people give hasbro's Han's so much flack.

bigbarada
10-28-2008, 07:27 PM
For me, VOTC Han is still the best ANH Han Solo out there. I don't need a perfect 3 3/4" representation of Harrison Ford to be happy with the figure.

Devo
10-29-2008, 01:56 PM
For me, VOTC Han is still the best ANH Han Solo out there. I don't need a perfect 3 3/4" representation of Harrison Ford to be happy with the figure.

Yes but this is precisely the sort of sentiment that leads hasbro to think we'll be happy with the likes of TAC Bespin Han because hey - it uses VOTC legs. VOTC was grand but it should not be used as the basis for every Han they ever make. Its parts plain and simply have not matched any new parts they've put them with.

Wow, i'm actually really with most of the hans that have come out, VOTC has a great head sculpt, VOTC ROTJ has the best body, Comic pack Storm Trooper Han is cool, Torture Rack Han has the torture rack, Carbonite han from POTF2 is really good to actually...even TAC gunner Han is cool...I just don't see why people give hasbro's Han's so much flack.

Yes but the idea is to combine all good elements into one figure. I too loved the torture rack but the figure was an abomination. I could have kitbashed that myself and made one that looked better and I'm a terrible customiser. VOTC ROTJ may have a decent body but it looks at odds with the skinny legs propping it up and the tiny head on top of it. In trying to satisy us with super articulation Hasbro keep neglecting the basics of human proportions.

pbarnard
10-29-2008, 02:36 PM
In trying to satisy us with super articulation Hasbro keep neglecting the basics of human proportions.

YES!!! Plus, didn't Hasbro make a big stink with their Real Scan technology (at least for the prequals) to make super accurate figures? I'd assume something like this was done for Indy IV, so wouldn't it be possible to borrow that for the Star Wars line since there are plenty of instances were the various Hasbro properties have crossed over.

Sinscia Fat'o
10-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes but this is precisely the sort of sentiment that leads hasbro to think we'll be happy with the likes of TAC Bespin Han because hey - it uses VOTC legs. VOTC was grand but it should not be used as the basis for every Han they ever make. Its parts plain and simply have not matched any new parts they've put them with.

Yes but the idea is to combine all good elements into one figure. I too loved the torture rack but the figure was an abomination. I could have kitbashed that myself and made one that looked better and I'm a terrible customiser. VOTC ROTJ may have a decent body but it looks at odds with the skinny legs propping it up and the tiny head on top of it. In trying to satisy us with super articulation Hasbro keep neglecting the basics of human proportions.

I considered The torture rack the figure for the TAc bespin Han, and the han was just a pack in, maybe i'm wrong for doing that, but the main selling point for that figure was the torture rack, as i wouldn't mind a new SA bespin Han, but i customized my own, and i'm happy with it.

Hasbro needs to make a good SA human sculpt; that much i'll give you, but i'm more concerned about Princess Leia than i am about Han, as Leia has been neglected for a lot longer than Han has.

My last comment is again my own personal opinion, as the ANH Han from VOTC was the best likness i've ever seen Hasbro give us on any figure, it actually gives Side Show a run for their money, I know some people don't like the legs, but personally it's one of my favorite if not my favorite figure hasbro has ever given us.

The Real Scan thing isn't worth it, as i recall Hasbro answering a question about it in one of their Q and A's, and to be honest i've never seen a real scan figure really look draw dropping, but i have seen normal sculpts make me buy a figure... Though i'm easy to please...just give me a decent sculpt, decent paint Apps, and some cool weapons and such...through in some SA and soft goods and i'll buy it. :thumbsup:

Devo
10-31-2008, 08:09 AM
You're right, Leia hasn't had it good since POTJ. Bespin escape Leia, though largely preposed, really nailed it for me....that all sounded very sexual - unintentional.

bigbarada
10-31-2008, 10:03 AM
You're right, Leia hasn't had it good since POTJ. Bespin escape Leia, though largely preposed, really nailed it for me....that all sounded very sexual - unintentional.

That was a great figure. The very first properly-scaled Leia, an all-new version that had never been made in 3 3/4" action figure form and a great likeness to boot. That figure had it all..... except articulation of course.

Devo
11-01-2008, 07:09 PM
I would probably rank it as one of my favourite OT Star wars figures in the entire line. I wouldn't change it. The only extra articulation I'd give it would be on the wrists so one hand wouldn't be permanantly stuck as though its supporting a gun (likewise Bespin Escape Lando). The sculpt overall could only be hurt by any further articulation. Now, I most certainly would like hasbro to try an SA bespin escape Leia (preferably just reusing POTJ head and preserving its swivel neck). But if that turns out crap like the endor leia we at least have a solid sculpt from 2001. We won't be able to say the same for DSII Luke since there has never been a satisfactory figure of him. The TAC jabbas palace figure is woeful with or without the removeable tunic and I'm sorry, I simply will not hear any argument to the contrary - that figure has zero redeeming qualities and I never want to see its parts reused - least of all in a dedicated DSII Luke.

JediTricks
11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
YES!!! Plus, didn't Hasbro make a big stink with their Real Scan technology (at least for the prequals) to make super accurate figures? I'd assume something like this was done for Indy IV, so wouldn't it be possible to borrow that for the Star Wars line since there are plenty of instances were the various Hasbro properties have crossed over.Hasbro dumped Real Scan tech just after Ep 2, saying that it was too much reworking to use them, it was less work to just start from scratch and do it the regular way.