PDA

View Full Version : DC 3 3/4 inch figures

Sinscia Fat'o
09-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Has anyone seen these yet?

I bought a few of them this past week end while tracking down some GI Joe stuff i had missed, and i was surprised and dissappointed; as these figures have a great sculpt, and decent articulation, but no weapons..or stands..or anything else.

Articulation

Head
Arms (Swivel joint)
elbows
Waste
Knees

Adam Strange has no gun...
Weather Wizzard has no wand
GCPD has guns (But poor face sculpt)
COMM. Gordon has no pistol
Mirror Master has guns, but there are stuck in their holsters.

my question is while this line has so much potential, WTF is mattel thinking by jobbing this line? I was also a little bothered by Shazam not having soft goods or at least a nicely sculpted cape...sheesh.

pbarnard
09-10-2008, 04:36 PM
I saw something similar with the Batman line specificially. I picked them up but used them as custom fodder. I think the Batman choice was to make something that could fit in a playset/vehicle to keep those scales/costs down more than anything.

Blue2th
09-10-2008, 04:48 PM
I saw these at Target in the 3 packs and individually. I'm just wondering why they didn't release at least half well known characters with the obscure on the first run.

jedi master sal
09-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I saw these at Target in the 3 packs and individually. I'm just wondering why they didn't release at least half well known characters with the obscure on the first run.

Yeah, that's what puzzled me. Okay so they have Flash in one of the three packs. But I scarcely know any on the single card except Shazaam and he's not all that big too me.

Where is Batman? Superman? Aquaman? Green Lantern? Heck any of the Justice League founders.

I think I"m just going to pass on this line. I was looking forward to this as well as the Marvel 3 3/4 line. Not anymore. Either I'm getting old, cheap, mix of both or something else. My desire for toys outside of SW, Transfromers and Halo is next to nil. Even then, TF doesn't hold that much of an interest to me and Halo doesn't offer any real opportunity to army build and has WAY to many exclusives.

My being done with collecting by the time I turn 40 is looking like a reality more and more each day. Considering I just turned 39 on 8/28, that's less than a year. And surprisingly, I'm not at all anxious about the thought of giving up collecting. Next year's toy budget will be down to $1500. That's only a quarter of what I spent in 2007. Starting in 2010, that budget will be down to a paltry (for me) $600. So toy companies better impress the hell out of me before I just go buying any old carp anymore.

I'll be putting my money into dioramas instead. Something I've talked about for years and have planned for as well. I'm ready for the next phase of my fandom.

-Sal

Blue2th
09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
I would buy them if they put out some of the Justice League characters you mentioned Sal, or their main villains. Which reminds me, I need to pick up the Target 3.75 Batman and Joker 2-pk. It's not that bad, though I would rather have them in silver age costumes.

The only obscure characters I really care about are silver age Legion of Superheroes. I would buy every single one of those. Maybe 2 of each.

Beast
09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Like I said a while back in the regular DC thread....

The line suffers from Mattel's typical blunders and it's likely going to kill it.

They claim that the line was designed for the collector, that's why they launched with so many secondary and obscure characters. But the lack of sculpting, articulation, and paint detail is going to turn the collectors off. And if they expect to grab the kids eyes, they're lacking any real recognizable A-Listers to launch the line off on.

Then Hasbro debuts it's Marvel Universe 3 3/4" line at SDCC, and Mattel's suddenly scrambling to play catch up. Promising that 2009 will feature more sculpted details, more articulation, more detailed paintjobs, and accessories. The big question is where the mediocre line will even survive to get to the main characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc... if it's being mishandled so badly. I'm actually shocked people are collecting them.

And I feel for those who are buying the figures now, who may have to rebuy many of the same figures later simply to get better detailed and even comic accurate versions of some characters.

JediTricks
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
I saw the GCPD and Flash 3packs, was astonished at how crappy these things look. The Flash especially looks poor, sculpted details at a level from 10 years ago, oversized chest emblem, unsculpted lightning gauntlet rings, just pitiful. I think it was when I saw these things that I realized Hasbro truly has overtaken all the other toy companies as #1 action figure maker - including Mattel, who makes these and is the #1 toy manufacturer - and it's not like Hasbro's brilliant, they do a lot of weaker work and they buy licenses and companies up too often, but they make the most and have a fair level of quality on every mainstream license they produce.