PDA

View Full Version : New Opinion After I've held them in my hands - carded

Tycho
02-17-2002, 06:08 PM
My friend got these figures early and I've held all of them in my hands and can now make a more knowledgeable statement about how I feel about them. (they were all carded)

I was a little disappointed. You all know me, and I'm the last one to get negative around here.

I'll go through the ups and downs real quick, but the overall theme is: they are being churned out way too fast for a movie-year stockpiling bonanza and the painting of these figures has suffered and it shows. [when compared to the POTJ] It's sad, because on most they started with the sculpts being real good. Coloring just went second-rate though.

Hightlights: (now these first figures are pretty good!)

the best? Kit Fisto has never impressed me with his pictures as the figure is seen on the web, but up close and personal, he is truly awesome. Kit Fisto was my favorite.

Obi-Wan - is actually quite decent. Nothing to brag about, but nicely done. There is a libht blue Lightsaber (?) tip on the detachable rod that comes with his droid, leading me to believe there is some way you'll be able to make Obi-Wan stab "through" the droid. However, instructions on the packaging did not explain this, curiously enough. The magnet was not painted on Obi-Wan and stuck out like he was trading MP3's or something. Looks like the lightsaber handles are metal, though. Interesting...

C-3PO - is made with cheap material and cheaply assembled and cut pieces with very basic articulation, but the overall presentation and what you get out of his new feature simply impressed me. I think it will be an underrated figure and fun to "build" C-3PO.

Plo Koon, Tusken Mother & Child, sadly the new BattleDroid, Jango with Removeable Helmet (Kamino Escape), are all nicely done. Yes they are all articulated and the Jedi isn't like Eeth Koth with the non-moving legs. Plo will move! These figures remind me more of the success of POTJ.

In the "There's nothing wrong with them, but they are not impressive anyway" category:

R2D2 - just an F/X recarded and repainted, while Captain Typho is about as exciting as any Naboo dude, the Super Battle Droid is kind of dorky by design, but the toy isn't that bad considering what it's based on, and Shaak-Ti just doesn't do anything for me.

In the disappointing category are:

Anakin - just poor paint job, and the tunic was once well-sculpted, and through consequential mass production runs, it is losing the definition to the sculpted texture that's simulated.

Padme - just could have been better. It's not the joint. It's just the wide stance, off-proportion figure, and poor paint job.

Jango Fett Sneak Preview - what a statue! Suffers from severe arthritis - looks cool though (as a paperweight).

Boba Fett - he's shorter than Anakin's Episode One figure! I was like "What the?!" He's supposed to be older?! I was going to customize this figure (if perhaps taller than Anakin) into a new Jedi Apprentice Books Young Obi-Wan. If this figure was the right size, it'd been perfect. No such luck! Plus his legs are more widely spread apart than the net pictures show. It's funny, as when the web pictures came out, I said Boba was my 2nd favorite figure. I once thought that the head sculpt was a dead-on Daniel Logan, too. Now I can't tell because of the way they are painting these things.

I did not see the 3 other Sneak Preview figures: Zam Wessel (one I think will rock!), the CloneTrooper, and R3-T7.

I did see the metallicized Darth Vader from the Toy Fair exclusive. It is not something that's necessary for every collection, but it is a piece you stare at and appreciate for a long time. So maybe I'm not done thinking about this one.

That's the gist of this. I did not see any other figures than what I talked about above. Sorry guys. Looks like we're getting mass-produced "let's sell as much movie-crap as Men in Black or Godzilla toys." Well, actually, they are still way-better than that. But I don't think I'd go screaming about them the way I did when I first saw Theed Throne Amidala, Tessek, Emperor's Wrath Vader, etc.

I would not buy the E2 stuff by the case if I were you, but hunt down the best paint jobs and get the most for your buck.

Sorry.

LTBasker
02-17-2002, 06:36 PM
I wasn't expecting much from this stuff anyways, I'll get'em nonetheless and I'm still kind of excited about them, I guess I'm not as dissapointed as I should be since I didn't like alot of them in the first place. :)

chewie
02-17-2002, 07:00 PM
I assumed as much.

InsaneJediGirl
02-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Orginally posted by Tycho
R2D2 - just an F/X recarded and repainted,

Tycho,The same F/X one Hasbro released a few years ago
that came with the "rocks"?

Tycho
02-17-2002, 09:44 PM
InsaneJediGirl:

Hard to say without having them side by side, however, the button (the power vents on Artoo's tummy), is the mechanism you press in the "Try Me" packaging, and it seems the same. I thought I caught magnets at the top of each of Artoo's legs, where they connect. Perhaps this is to interact with a playset or vehicle? Either that or most of the Jedi won't be able to keep their hands off the poor droid...

But R2 is all shiny and new, the sand decaling from the F/X figure is not present, if this is the same mold. It really looked like it to me - and I don't have any personal objections to that.

I'd like them repainting R2 bodies if they gave us different Astromechs. For Artoo, the character, well a lightsaber launching resculpt would be a serious improvement, and the sailbarge version, a blown-apart Endor Bunker version would all make more interesting figures for R2D2 than any prequel possibilities I am aware of.

Last but not least, the sound effects of R2's "lines" have been changed, reflecting his new "script" for Episode Two.

Unit-01
02-17-2002, 09:49 PM
Not him, but yes it is. I believe Boba being shorter is to do with his stance right? And all the ones you thought are cool/ the best were the ones I'm planning on getting anyways! And you got to touch 'em!!!:frus: :D

BTW- Wouldn't magnets screw up the electronics in R2?

GNT
02-17-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I did not see the 3 other Sneak Preview figures: Zam Wessel (one I think will rock!), the CloneTrooper, and R3-T7.

Zam is good but the plastic piece over her mouth/nose cant be removed which is so disapointing :( A one pose wonder is what she is :(

The clonetrooper is also pretty bad as it has no articulation in the knees :( so his stuck that way. The R3 droid is good but not the best paint job I've seen and such a waste of space in the bubble :(

I whish I could have gotten them :(

Unit-01
02-18-2002, 01:31 AM
LOL all those sad faces then "wish I would have gotten them".

GNT
02-18-2002, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Unit-01
LOL all those sad faces then "wish I would have gotten them".

Well they do have disappointing things about them (Like Zams veil,paint job etc) But the sculpt of them is good and I cant wait to own them :)

Battle Droid
02-18-2002, 02:32 AM
The magnets on Artoo are probably to attach those 2 black bugs that he comes with on him.

Tycho
02-18-2002, 03:47 AM
Good thinking Sith Initiate. That's a possibility. I wished I got the chance to play with these loose!

I'm sorry about the E2 figures, but I call them as honestly as I can.

I think it will improve though and the figures my friend still does not have will be the real highlight of the collection:

Orm Fre Taa

JarJar Senate

Obi-Wan Pilot

Anakin Jedi Duel (hopefully)

Count Dooku

Zam Wessel (unmasked)

Geonosian Warrior (either kind)

Clone Commander

Mace (Collection 1 - in anguish)

Nikto Jedi

Palpatine

Luminara

Royal Guard

SaeSae Tiin

The Clone Trooper (regular) does not impress me - lack of articulation is the first reason.

This does follow the pattern of movie figures we got for E1 though:

Much of Collection 1 (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan Jedi Duel, were just churned out fast).

Later on the Naboo Jedi, Nute and Rune, the Destroyer Droid, Captain Panaka, Naboo Royal Guard, Captain Tarpals - a few of them were higher in quality and authenticity than the Jedi Duel figures. I have to say though, the first Maul figure was impressive before we'd seen too many of him, and Collection 2 was quality from the beginning, with Darth Sidious, Ric Olee with a removeable helmet and nice detail, and C-3PO's Episode One figure seemed to be a better quality. Palpatine came out in the first wave then, and who could forget how well they did Watto?
It seems to me that Episode One's figures almost started stronger than E2's will, in spite of all the new bells, whistles, and magnets.

Episode 2's figures do improve to POTJ quality it seems, but later with the E2 figures I listed above.

Beast
02-18-2002, 03:58 AM
Well, alot of you have been saying that I have been defending these more then I should. And now hearing Tycho's full report I look at these figures for what they are. The first waves of a new set of Star Wars figures. The lack of decent painting harkens back to the start of the E1 line. I expect those to stop with as quick as the second waves of Collection 1 and 2. We have to admit that they still were in the package, and there can be some judgement issues with them on the card. I will be searching the racks as Tycho suggests for decent painted versions. :)

I agree that the Anakin and Padme figures are majorly dissapointing. But I expect that just like the E1 line, the next versions will be superior then the first. I think the only reason the size difference on Boba Fett seems so noticible is the stance, as well as it was still on the card. All the Anakin's we have gotten are all straight leg stances.. I have seen really good loose picks of Boba, so I don't think he looks to short.

I think that we'll see better stuff in the next wave for sure. Of all the stuff that was shown at Toy Fair, I thought the first collections were the least impressive anyway. I will buy them because they are star wars, and to ensure that the line continues so that I can get the upcoming good figures, as well as resculpts of the few misses in the first wave.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-18-2002, 06:52 AM
Smiles wryly............:evil:

JEDIpartner
02-18-2002, 01:07 PM
I can't say that I am completely surprised by this. I have been a staunch advocate in consistency in the STAR WARS line and this just goes to prove that our eyes and our feelings weren't entirely deceiving us. I've pretty much had enough of this whole "Ren and Stimpy 'Happy Happy Joy Joy' " thing with the figures. Great... I'm glad we're still getting figures. What I'm NOT happy about is that there is nothing that really seems to tie the lines from the last 4 or so years (since they stopped the buff sculpts) with what is going on here.

I really didn't think my opinion would change that much from "seeing piccies of them" to "having them in my hands". It's seems that I have been proven correct in my assessment of this sad situation.

Unit-01
02-18-2002, 02:14 PM
I notcied the removable helmet Jango is missing some (if not alot) of detail. Mostly the wires under his arms are not painted plus they could have made the missle nicer. More points for preview one.

Tycho
02-18-2002, 10:15 PM
I'll disagree there. The Removeable Helmet Jango has 2 holsters from which he can draw two removeable guns. Nice touch and that's one up on the Aurra Sing figure with her one molded in gun.

Jango's human face detail isn't bad either. All his scars are there and it's a little more real to me than Anakin or Padme. Plus he's got that grappling hook capture claw you can use to trap other figures with. Pretty cool.

Unit-01
02-18-2002, 11:48 PM
Like it matters though anyway since I'm getting all the 3 Jangos shown :D (just not the Deluxe :dead: ).

Rollo Tomassi
02-22-2002, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the report, Tycho. I am not impressed with these figures at all. I'll decide if I'm going to buy them when I see them in stores, but it doesn't look good.

Darn. Star Wars Collection 1995 - 2002. You will be missed.

Tycho
02-22-2002, 03:08 PM
It's not that bad Rollo.

I saw it as a step back from what POTJ did in 2001. We're set back about where we were in 1999, but with much better vehicles and playsets.

The figures just won't impress most or all of us. That's all. It's a downer, because I was on a high with what we got from POTJ!

TikiFett
02-22-2002, 08:56 PM
I own the 4 sneak preview figures and I'll tell you what I think. Jango is basically a statue but he looks just awesome. Crazy about this character already.

The Clone Trooper looks just excellent. No articulation in knees and elbows but this is nothing new. I personally think his stance is very well done and he stands solid too, (Jango stands very solid as well.) CT's giant gun goes very well with the figure.

R3-T7 I like alot. Sure it's just another R2 droid but it's clear top and colorings are nice and I like the paint on this one. His blue electrical charges wrapped around him are a pretty unique idea and actually look good wrapped around just about any character! Heck, I threw the thing on Zam for a minute and actually thought - hey, looks like she's really being electrocuted.

Zam Wesell to me is the biggest dissapointment. Jango Fett is NOT a statue compared to Zam. Head won't turn - waist won't turn - legs hold one stance obviously (just like with the other figures). And when she is standing on her own, her head seems to be angled downwards which makes her interesting face hard to see. Also, with her little feet she doesn't stand very solid. The worst part about this figure which I think is just a downright design flaw - is that she cannot hold her rifle! Yeah... the picture looks super but I tried forever to get that rifle in her hands and I am just baffled.

I sense that the paint could be better on these 4 figures but over all I like all of them alot (even Zam).

Well I have had a year or two off from 3 3/4" mania but it has already returned in full force.

My 2 cents.

Tycho
02-22-2002, 09:50 PM
Save for Jango, these 3 sneak-peeks I have not seen.

How is the Clone Trooper for doing different poses (shooting different ways)? In my opinion, the '95 Stormtrooper was satisfactory in this category, even though the CommTech blew it away later.

But my real question is the Clone Trooper good for an army-builder (to use all different ways - fighting, marching, standing, etc), or should we wait for the next resculpt to bulk up?

And I'm sorry about Zam. She was the one from this wave I was most looking forward to...

GNT
02-22-2002, 10:15 PM
But my real question is the Clone Trooper good for an army-builder (to use all different ways - fighting, marching, standing, etc), or should we wait for the next resculpt to bulk up?

Well since there is no Knee articulation its going to pretty hard forhim to march or stand up straight at all,Since his positioned that way theres nothing much you can do with him,I'd wait for a much better version to start your Army building collection :)

LTBasker
02-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Well they should be pretty good for battle dios, and if you look in the gunship at ToyFair you'll see him in a more "neutral stance" which I guess signifys that he multi-poseable.

Beast
02-22-2002, 10:21 PM
How is the Clone Trooper for doing different poses (shooting different ways)? In my opinion, the '95 Stormtrooper was satisfactory in this category, even though the CommTech blew it away later. But my real question is the Clone Trooper good for an army-builder (to use all different ways - fighting, marching, standing, etc), or should we wait for the next resculpt to bulk up?
I think you may wanna get some of each of the Clone Troopers, Tycho. The one in the Preview Asst. is good for basic fighting stances, but there is a clonetrooper listed on the press release hasbro released at toy fair of being one of the 26 figures avaliable on or shortly before E2 opens. And if the CloneTrooper Commander is any indication, I am sure the basic line CloneTrooper release will be much more poseable then the one from the preview set. Plus there was one listed on the early lists for the deluxe line, so there is another chance we will get another different version. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TikiFett
02-23-2002, 12:50 AM

How is the Clone Trooper for doing different poses (shooting different ways)? In my opinion, the '95 Stormtrooper was satisfactory in this category, even though the CommTech blew it away later.

I would have to say that this figure is not to terribly posable. No articulation at the knees, elbows and waist make him hard to do alot (his head turns nice though - :) ). If the CT coming out in the regular ep2 line is much different than this one than I would wait on gathering a bunch. I'd definitely pick up 1 or 2 of these sneak previews anyway.

One thing I would like to see with the CT down the road is a totally clean one like the comtech stormtrooper. These here are dirty from the thighs down which is cool but only to a certain degree. Gotta have clean ones to make a real army.

Darth Rage
02-24-2002, 02:59 AM
how do these people get the AOTC's figures so early?!

Well I can't wait to buy them, I'll probably keep them in the boxes because my living room in my apartment is already filled with starwars toys...

The movie is what I want to see the most though!

Beast
02-24-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Darth Rage
how do these people get the AOTC's figures so early?!
Only can be one of three possible ways that I can think of. They paid an massive price hike thru a dealer or on ebay just to have them early. They know someone that orders direct from Hasbro's overseas and got them an early set. Or, a friend over seas that found them already for sale in Japan, purchased them for them. I don't think any have slipped out at retail here in the states yet, but it's always possible.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks