PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone watching Olympic Hockey?

mabudonicus
02-17-2002, 08:27 PM
Trust a Canuck to start this one. I'm psyched about our team so far, but they really have to get into the "team" mode tonight or I fear the US and Sweden will be getting the valuable medals. Our team can party harder than anyone else, but on the ice they have yet to find their game. I'll be surprised if this gets any responses, but here it is. Wooooo!!! Go Leafs GOOOOO!!!

Wolfwood319
02-17-2002, 08:59 PM
I've been trying to watch it, but with my busy schedule, I've only caught one game so far (Russia vs. a country I can't pronounce,) Canada and US definately seem to be the favorites this year though.

I always thought it was amazing that all of the NHL players go and play for their home country every 4 years, then come right back to the NHL. Most of the guys on Russia's team played in the NHL, same with US and some Canadians. Olympic Hockey is almost exactly like NHL hockey, same players and everything.

mabudonicus
02-18-2002, 11:38 AM
The inclusion of NHL players is weird, I agree. Look at a team like Germany, though, with almost no NHL players (it was funny to listen to the commentators, cause rather than use player names they just kept saying stuff like "Germany brings the puck in... Germany in front of the net......shot by Germany- SCORES!!!!!! Germany just blasted that one in"). They are a more fully formed team, but against a group of NHL players that have only practiced once or twice they end up struggling. You americans look to have the best chance against the swedesand czechs, as our team doesn't look to be "gelling" fast enough.
Tonight our team plays the czechs, and we're gonna get smoked, I figure. I really think that if we had an actual TEAM of good players that worked well together, we'd be doing a lot better than we are with a bunch of skilled players who have never even played in a match together before taking olympic ice (either that or I'm just making excuses for our poor turnout so far.....)

PloKoon2385
02-18-2002, 04:40 PM
I have been watching it a little. Un poco. I have been more interested in Apolo Ohno, because he is from Seattle where I am. Sigh..... too bad he got knocked over and the Australian who was way behind won. Hmm...... In the paper it said that was his strategy though.:D Also it said that he was Ohno's skatemaker. Weird:crazed:

2-1B
02-25-2002, 05:15 PM
Congratulations to our Canadian friends for their gold medal victory last night :)

mabudonicus
02-25-2002, 05:46 PM
It was a heck of a game!! Things went right crazy for hours afterwards. Our normally dead downtown area was NUTS last night.
I must admit that it looked as if the US team was extra nervous, making it difficult for them to play up to their actual potential.
I'm a Leafs fan by nature, so I'm not used to sseing a team I'm rooting for get too far.... the win yesterday was truly awesome!!
You Americans, don't worry..... the Stanley Cup will likely end up south of the border again, in the spring.
Wooooooo!!!!!

SWAFMAN
02-25-2002, 05:51 PM
Congratulations to our Canadian friends for their gold medal victory last night

I second that! Many of the matches were awesome. I've never heard a crowd and announcers as excited as during the gold medal men's match. I maybe would have been a little happier if the U.S.A. team had won, but with Yzerman and Shanahan on the Canadian team, it hardly mattered a bit. I was very happy at the end of the game, no matter the outcome. It was AMAZING hockey.

(and how 'bout that U.S.A./NY Rangers goalie Richter, eh? awesome, even without the final win.)

[GO RED WINGS!!!!]

2-1B
02-25-2002, 05:55 PM
Why aren't they called the Maple Leaves? ;)

I'm not even a big hockey fan, the closest teams geographically are the Blackhawks and Red Wings.

But that was really fun last night :)

mabudonicus
02-25-2002, 08:14 PM
If you want to use the TRADITIONAL putdown, it's "Make-Believes". People up here just love it.
Seriously, though, what a breathtaking game. I haven't been rendered quite as speechless since TPM. Wooooooo!!!

2-1B
02-25-2002, 10:29 PM
You mean speechless in a GOOD way, right ? :D

Seriously though, I wasn't putting the Leafs down - I was always genuinely curious regarding the plural form of Maple Leaf. But I'll remember that if I take a trip there ;)

Do you like any hockey movies? I thought Mystery, Alaska was cool . . .

2-1B
07-03-2002, 02:49 AM
Alright Swaffy and mabudon, lemme have your thoughts on the Leafs/Belfour - Wings/CuJo shake up ! ! ! :D

Oh, and also the other night on the ESPN NHL awards, I must say I delighted in the physical presence of some of the lady Canadian hockey players. :happy:

Mandalorian Candidat
07-03-2002, 11:36 AM
Did Cujo get traded? I think he's one year too late, but who knows. Maybe the Wings will do it again next season.

billfremore
07-03-2002, 11:56 AM
Cujo signed as a free-agent with the Wings.
Belfour signed as a free-agent with the Leafs.

and the wheel goes round and round...:rolleyes:

SWAFMAN
07-03-2002, 12:31 PM
I saw a few of cujo's games during the regular and post-season. He had good games & bad ones that I saw. He got his a** handed to him pretty badly in a couple of the games I saw. But then Hasek wasn't perfect every game, either, although I'd have to say that Hasek looked noticeably better than Cujo last year. But Hasek's not an option this year.

I guess the question is whether Cujo is really winding down, or if blending him into a team with the strength the wings have will bolster his confidence and raise his game to the levels we've seen him perform a few years back. I recall seasons past when he was about the most entertaining goalie I ever watched. If he can get into that zone, we'll have some great games.

I'm not even close to thinking that the Wings have a shot to repeat, though. As the champs, I think we'll see every team going after them in every game, trying to duplicate the playing style the 'Canes used successfully in the first two Cup finals games. If that happens, I don't think the older Wings will be able to hold up for a whole season, then have anything left for the post season. There's not going to be any Olympic break this time around to rest them up for the final stretch of the season.

But you never know... ;)

I've always liked Belfour (except when he beat the wings!). I wish him success with the Leafs (except when he plays the wings!) His style always appeared to me to be a little more conservative than Hasek or Joseph, but at least he isn't an Osgood.

The goalie who stumps me is Roy. How does he keep coming back, year after year? I guess I'd have to say my feelings are a begrudging respect for the guy. When he got pulled in that playoff game against the wings, after giving up what was it? like six or seven goals? I half expected him to skate off the ice and just keep going straight to the lockers, and out the back door, and never play again. But he stayed on the bench, and looked everyone in the eye, even during the handsakes at the end of the series. As much as he infuriates me as an opponent, I have to admit that he is one of the best examples of the spirit of a champion.

mabudonicus
07-03-2002, 04:54 PM
Okay, here I am fellows. MAN!! Shakeup indeed. I guess if my life is hetting completely messed up, the Leafs might as well get into it. I'm just about finished my Domi figure- GONE!!! Cujo- GONE. SWAFMAN- Cujo's pretty good, but his consistency is kinda crummy. He stunk on ice in nearly half of his playoff games this year IMO. If he was the greatest we woulda kept him N'importe quoi. Belfour- well, he's okay- did the Leafs trade barrasso or schwab or WHAT for him?? We better still have kemo schwabbie (they actually tried to get people calling him that, I'm the only one left:)) I'll stop here, I'll keep an eye on this thread- I just need some more info, I forgot anyone here was interested (other than JF96- him and the other 6 canes fans down there:))

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-04-2002, 12:39 AM
Why did the Leafs fork over all of that money to Eddie Belfour? That guy is one headcase. You may have heard that one story of how he got pulled over in Dallas for DWI and he offered the trooper a billion dollars not to bring him to the station. Even his family is against him; his own father-in-law disowned him. Yes he won a Cup a couple of years ago, but that was back when Dallas gave up 15-20 shots a game and had a heckuva team. In Toronto there will be a lot more pressure on him. I am wondering if he is the man to take it. Cujo did a great job with the team, but couldn't win the big games. That city is under enourmous strain to win, win, win and nothing less. Next to Chicago, they have the longest Cup defecit. 67' I believe, the last year before expansion.

Looks like the Rangers haven't learned from their past mistakes as they signed Holik for a ton of money. Holik is a decent player, but it seems like once you go to the Big Apple and get that fat paycheck, you get too content and your play suffers.

I heard a rumor that now that Steinbrenner's group owns the Devils, they are having a firesale of the team in order to defray the costs of the Yankees exorbitant payroll.

Even though we are in the dog days of summer. I can't wait for next year to begin already.

figrin bran
07-04-2002, 02:10 AM
i can't believe that Disney actually spent money on free agents, namely Oates. i'm sure i don't follow hockey as closely as all of you guys so should he be expected to continue to be productive with Kariya or are his best years behind him? of course, they, meaning the Ducks, are still a one line team.