PDA

View Full Version : Republic Commando: Order 66

OC47150
09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I saw it today at Waldenbooks. $27, but Borders/WB members get 40 percent off.

It's a full 400+ pages. I'm seriously thinking about picking it up.

Ando
09-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Is it available in paperback, too?

OC47150
09-18-2008, 05:07 PM
No. Paperback won't be available until next spring, at the earliest.

Ando
09-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Darn.

Guess I'll have to wait. I like the series, but not that much. I only read them once and hand them off to my brother-in-law.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2008, 05:16 PM
My local libraries are becoming lax in getting new SW books, so my grand schemes to read the HC and then buy the PB a few months down the road are being detoured. :( But, I do plan to get to this one as soon as I can, and as soon as I have reading time.

Neuroleptic
09-18-2008, 05:20 PM
New Republic Commando book? SHWEET!

. . . It's in hard back? Were the other ones ever released in hard back?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2008, 05:47 PM
SHWEET!

. . . It's in hard back? Were the other ones ever released in hard back?The previous RC ones were paperbacks. I can recall Triple Zero, Hard Contact, but my mind fails to remember 1) if there was a third, and 2) what its subtitle was.

Ando
09-18-2008, 05:50 PM
The previous RC ones were paperbacks. I can recall Triple Zero, Hard Contact, but my mind fails to remember 1) if there was a third, and 2) what its subtitle was.

Hard Contact was 1st, Triple Zero was 2nd, and True Colors was 3rd.

Darth Jax
09-18-2008, 07:27 PM
There was the short story "Odds" that occurred between 2 and 3 also. All the previous versions were paperback only.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I started this'n a few days ago. I love books with heavy descriptive passages, and I love great characterization. What I don't like are long chapters with unnecessary details. So far, it's been more the latter than the former. Chux, you're right about the need for a glossary or guide book to figure out all Traviss' Mando words; some you can figure out with context clues, but others aren't so clear.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I am STILL trying to finish this. It does little to hold my interest and attention; I've fallen asleep a few times, and can seldom get past one (looooong) chapter at one time. Only "interesting" detail so far: the name of Jedi Callista was thrown in there. :tired: I'd like to get this thing done by this weekend. What a chore to read SW fiction... :rolleyes:

Ando
11-03-2008, 10:12 AM
... Only "interesting" detail so far: the name of Jedi Callista was thrown in there...

That is VERY interesting. I really liked her character when she was introduced in the books years back.

El Chuxter
11-03-2008, 11:14 AM
That makes one person who liked Callista.

Tenric78
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
I wish they would make a new Republic Commando game.

Ando
11-03-2008, 03:40 PM
I agree. I had a lot of fun replaying it over and over again.

It'd be cool to command various squads throughout the game, including the Omega Squad, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I used to run cross country in high school, and while flat courses were easy to run, they weren't very intersting. The course I liked the most had several hills (my speciality), and once you got past the big one (called Poop-Out Hill), you could make some ground. Why do I tell you this? One, I'm an odd one. :p But two, once I got around the halfway mark of this 430+ page novel, it started to get pretty good.

Other "interesting" points so far (I don't think these are spoilers):
- there were apparently 150 "contingency orders" (I assume are connected to Order 66), one that could take out the Chancellor, too
- Fenn Shysta [sp?] is an important name, but not much to the plot
- there were married Jedi at that time, in a splinter sect
- according to the clones, Jedi Kenobi = good guy, Jedi Vos = bad guy
- I now know how to make it rich; I just need access to trillions of banks :greedy:

Ando
11-05-2008, 09:56 AM
- there were apparently 150 "contingency orders" (I assume are connected to Order 66), one that could take out the Chancellor, too

That would be Order 65. Karen Traviss mentions a few of them throughout her RC books, usually in italics at the beginning of each chapter.

And yes, those were VERY interesting to read.

Phantom-like Menace
11-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I remember reading up until Ordo put his helmet down to start shaving, and I thought to myself, "Well, it's probably going to be some time before Order 66 is issued, so I'll just read to the end of this chapter and stop for the day. Of course, Order 66 came through before he was even done shaving, and chapters later it was all I could do to put down the book.

I didn't like it as well as True Colors, but it had its moments, mostly involving Vau and Skirata.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I can't remember the last SW novel I read that made me so sullen and sad by the end; but this was a good thing. It sure was slow in its build-up even for a 400+ pager. I was surprised they never hinted at Anakin/Vader at all. This wasn't too bad, and there were quite a few allusions to later post-ANH events.

Have the Falcon book on loan from the library. I hope this 4-day weekend allows me to fiish it sooner than O66.

OC47150
11-26-2008, 07:34 PM
My library had a copy!!! I'm planning to start reading it tonight.

OC47150
12-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I finished it this morning.

I'm a fan of Traviss's writing and can't wait to see what other SW books she churns out. That said, I think she was a little too ambitious with the overall Order 66 storyline and parts of it didn't work. There was just too much story to cram into one book. It would've worked better in two books.

I would've liked to read more about Kal's daughter and how she ended up in the POW camp. Same with the scientist in the mental ward. The scientist was mentioned like around page 100, mentioned once or twice afterward almost like afterthoughts but then came central to the storyline near the end.

I hope the clones left behind on Coruscant will be part of future stories.

Phantom-like Menace
12-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Traviss will indeed continue the story in a series called--big reveal--Imperial Commando. All of our characters should be back, though there is obviously going to be a slightly different dynamic between the ones left behind and the ones on the outside.

OC47150
12-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Traviss will indeed continue the story in a series called--big reveal--Imperial Commando. All of our characters should be back, though there is obviously going to be a slightly different dynamic between the ones left behind and the ones on the outside.

I was hoping that would be the case. Still a lot of stories to be told there.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I finished Imperial Commando: 501st yesterday. I can't recall being bored with an EU book before. I've read bad ones, confusing ones, great ones, contradictory ones; but never one that was so uniteresting to me. Traviss is now the toughest SW author to wade through for me.

pbarnard
12-28-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm only through Order 66, and now going back and reading the Legacy of the Force. Finally nice to see the linkage between the two. I'm hesitant on Imperial Commando because I think it is a filler novel as well.

Darth Jax
12-28-2009, 01:58 PM
filler is being a little generous. it's page after page of recounting stories told in the books prior.

El Chuxter
12-28-2009, 02:08 PM
BCJ, I hit that wall with Traviss on the second Republic Commando novel, after loving the first.

Phantom-like Menace
05-06-2010, 02:23 AM
I finished Imperial Commando a few days ago.

I've always had a problem with Etain's decision to have a child with Darman. Pity sex seems a little outside any sane Jedi's thinking. Pity pregnancy is out and out certifiable. I can't reconcile that line of completely irrational thinking with any notion that she should be held up as a commendable member of the Order.

The Jedi bashing is a little thick. I'll grant that accepting the GAR was basically accepting slavery, but it's not like the Jedi are exclusively guilty. The government, and to a degree the people of the Republic, are culpable. Nevermind Jango had a lot to do with using them. The worst example of Jedi bashing comes from the author, when in Order 66 Jedi started indiscriminately slashing through civilians while defending themselves. Even if they accidentally killed someone like that, I can't see them continuing with no concern for the safety of others. Yeah, okay, so they were panicking. They're not criminal.

Bardan quit the Order, but he himself pretty much describes himself as a connoisseur of cult Kool-Aid who's pretty much just looking for a flavor he likes. In the Legacy of the Force books, he's still with Clan Skirata, so it looks like he found it in Jonestown Kyrimorut.

Darman's decision to stay with the 501st makes no sense. He wants to keep Kad safe by hunting down Force users. If I were protecting one person from numerous unknown threats that come from numerous unknown directions, I wouldn't do that from half a galaxy away from that person. It's just not a logical strategy. He finally works that out at the end of the novel only to . . . decide to abduct him from Kyrimorut, because his completely irrational fear of Force users makes him decide Kina Ha and Scout are threats that his entire clan (who has already taken in two Force users, one of who is one of Darman's closest friends and one of whom was his wife) is ignoring. Kad's still with Clan Skirata in Legacy of the Force, so either he fails and gets himself killed or his ADD for asinine decisions switches him to a new plan.

They discuss bringing in a psychiatrist to help Arla, but I don't think anyone at Kyrimorut really wants to have a psychiatrist diagnose them all as insane, and I really don't think a psychiatrist wants to open that proverbial can of worms.

Roly Melusar is a wild-eyed lunatic on a crusade. He probably checks under his bed and in his closet for men with lightsabers before he goes to sleep, but Niner and Darman actually seem to admire him.

And now that we have mentioned Darman and Melusar's Force-hating, if they know Palpatine is a Sith and that he's definitely recruiting, why make Jedi, who aren't necessarily recruiting while they run for their lives, the priority? I know, if they go after Jedi can they succeed without ruining the continuity, but if they go after Palpatine and Vader they can't succeed without ruining continuity.

I like the novels well enough, but it's obviously not because of characterization.

Phantom-like Menace
05-07-2010, 05:37 AM
I know, if they go after Jedi can they succeed without ruining the continuity, but if they go after Palpatine and Vader they can't succeed without ruining continuity.

This was supposed to read as follows:

"I know, if they go after Jedi they can succeed without ruining the continuity, but if they go after Palpatine and Vader they can't succeed without ruining continuity."

I didn't catch that before the editing window closed.

DarkArtist
05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
just finished up Republic Commando True Colors last night and planning on starting Order 66 tonight after work... can't wait. these are some of the best EU books available. looking forward to getting Republic Commando 501st.

Darth Jax
05-12-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm hesitant on Imperial Commando because I think it is a filler novel as well.

just finished up Republic Commando True Colors last night and planning on starting Order 66 tonight after work... can't wait. these are some of the best EU books available. looking forward to getting Republic Commando 501st.

just noticed that we seem to be abruptly through with the republic commando boys as the last book in the series (which was due in July) has now been cancelled.

so apparently 501st wasn't filler until a nice wrap-up story came about, but a rather uneventful end.

Phantom-like Menace
05-13-2010, 11:43 PM
If there is one thing the EU is good for, it's going back and filling in holes. Someone somewhere will finish the story in some fashion, even if it's just mentioned in another book.