PDA

View Full Version : A Tycho's Health Update

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tycho
09-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Some people asked and I don't mind posting the news.

My kidney transplant operation which could save me and restore my health for many years is scheduled for October 21.

I am often sick now - ill in the stomach, pained in my legs, tired a lot of the time unless I'm really excited about something - that sort of thing. And I already feel like I have to take too much medication - just wait until after the transplant! :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's about all the news for right at the moment. Now you're up-to-date.

Devo
09-18-2008, 01:14 AM
I hope all goes well Tycho. As ever, sorry to hear you've got health troubles.

Phantom-like Menace
09-18-2008, 02:26 AM
October 21 is my birthday. I'd consider it quite the appropriate birthday gift for you to make sure everything goes okay with your surgery. Good luck, and we're thinking about you.:thumbsup:

Droid
09-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Some people asked and I don't mind posting the news.

My kidney transplant operation which could save me and restore my health for many years is scheduled for October 21.

I am often sick now - ill in the stomach, pained in my legs, tired a lot of the time unless I'm really excited about something - that sort of thing. And I already feel like I have to take too much medication - just wait until after the transplant! :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's about all the news for right at the moment. Now you're up-to-date.

Who is the donor?

jedi master sal
09-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Hopefully you'll understand if Tycho wishes not to divulge this information. That is something that should really be kept between himself and the donor, unless they both agree to release that info.

I'm just glad he's getting the operation soon.

Hang in there pal! I look forward to coming out to San Diego and putting you straight on dioramas, L.O.L.!

(And no I'm not the donor.)

DarthBrandon
09-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Good luck on the 21st Tycho,

WTFBWY my friend

Qui-Long Gone
09-18-2008, 03:52 PM
October is a good luck month! :thumbsup:

And if it isn't, after your operation you'll be able to say it is! :thumbsup:

jjreason
09-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Awesome, Tycho. It must be nerve-wracking counting down the days, but in the long run you're going to feel SO much better. I haven't been keeping super close tabs on this whole thing for the last few months, so I'm very happy to read there's a donor and that the op is so soon. :thumbsup:

pbarnard
09-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I had a former boss who just got a kidney transplant right as I was leaving that place. He joked he was about to become a 4-banger. So, if you don't mind sharing, what does this make you? And good luck with it.

Tycho
09-19-2008, 05:43 AM
What's a 4-banger? I have no idea what that means.

Anyway, for a little while I'll have 3 kidneys though. I was disappointed, but my surgeon met with me today and said my old, swollen ones were NOT coming out at the time of surgery. They're too big and they'd have to risk operating on me for too long.

If they took them out, the incision will be as big as my kidneys -which are huge. He wants to chemically shrink them first, before that surgery. Then he may take them out as soon as 3 months post-surgery, instead of 6. So that means the end of January instead of waiting until April.

Boy was I mad about this. With the huge kidneys, I'll still be throwing up and have stomach pain, even with the new kidney which gets me off dialysis.

But if they go through my back to take them out, my doc says they're so big, that he'd have to cut my lower back muscle to get them through there. It would be extremely painful just lying down in a bed or sitting up. Someone donating a normal kidney, which is about the size of your fist, would never have to worry about this. But for me it sucks.

The other way - the preferred way, is to take it out through the front. In that case, he pulls my intestines out (still connected) to get them out of the way, and then brings the kidneys out (through one incision). OK, this sounds better than cutting my lower back muscle probably permanently. He'll put my intestines and stomach back in place when he's got the kidneys out. Hopefully, I'll have a flat tummy when he's done - as I want anything that doesn't leave me with washboard abs GONE! Don't forget, I once WAS working towards that goal, and my condition caused me to have an aneurysm break in my brain while I was at the gym.

Anyway, all this is really annoying. I argued with him about removing my kidneys at the time of the initial surgery. Last time he said he'd take out one right then. Now he's changed his mind. I asked him to think that over. He said he would and he wants to re-look at my CT scans.

This is more than a bit frustrating.

Kidhuman
09-19-2008, 06:17 AM
Tyco, you have my thoughts and prayers. I wish you the best in your operation.

pbarnard
09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
What's a 4-banger? I have no idea what that means.

It refers to the number of kidneys in his body, similar slang to cylinder engines. It's easier surgically to "sew in" the vasculature/inervation of the new kidney than to remove and reattatch from my understanding (and I understand the neurological side of it much better than the nephrology).

So at the momen, you would be a 3-banger. :thumbsup:

Snowtrooper
09-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Good luck with your operation. We'll all be glad to hear from you after its done.

Tycho
09-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Oh you'll hear from me! I will be on heavy meds to negate my immune system attacking the new kidney since it's not from my own body.

While they adjust me to the new kidney (and I'll still have to take some anti-rejection drugs for the rest of my life) - I won't be able to go out in public - or at least not without a filter mask.

(I'll be buying that Darth Vader voice changer helmet for use in this regard -but I'll also wear the hospital issued medical air filter underneath the black helmet and face mask - but Darth Vader WILL BE REBORN! No I'm not kidding. I'm having this transplant awfully close to Halloween anyway.)

But anyway, SSG has always been part of this nerd's social life, so I bet I'll be online even more. My posts while on heavy medication should be great! :crazed:

Last night when I was on the phone with JediTricks, I told him "I was having this operation so I could transform Megatron." Unfortunately I remember that. And I'll face up to it, because otherwise, I'm sure he'll post it anyway, soon as he logs on. (I remember that, JT. I just don't know how I mixed up my thoughts so bad in order to say that. In any event, I guess I'll pack Megatron with my things I'm taking to the hospital. Maybe that was a sign from Micahel Bay that he'll still be of some use.)

OK, I gotta go. I'll be way late for dialysis.

jjreason
09-19-2008, 05:15 PM
My posts while on heavy medication should be great! :crazed:

I have seen the results of medicated posting in the past (okay, the user was only medicated by Malibu rum) and it's some of the most classic e-anarchy I've encountered. Let's hope you're a peach when you're wrecked as well!!! lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-19-2008, 06:23 PM
This is great news all around!

Darth Duranium
09-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Good luck with the surgery Tycho.

Look, if they can bury a monolith (TMA-1) in you, a kidney should be a piece of cake!

The combination of Vader voice-changer and medication oughtta make for some interesting conversations, too.

Anyway, all the best to you and I hope things go well.

Neuroleptic
09-19-2008, 10:34 PM
That's great news Tycho! I'm happy for you. Oh, and posts when you're high on meds should be great. And you have to get someone to get a picture of you with your new breathing mask. We demand pictures for black mail!

figrin bran
09-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Tycho, I hope everything goes well for you. :thumbsup:

Personally I think you should take Powerglide instead of Movie Megatron, though.

TheCivilCollector
09-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Hey man-

Best of luck and speedy recovery to ya.

Tycho
09-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks for your well-wishes guys.

Figrin: what if I meant my Masterpiece Megatron? If I transform him into a Walther P-38 handgun and run around the hospital high on morphine with my Darth Vader helmet on - they'll evacuate the building and call for SWAT!

:rambo: :D :twisted:

LTBasker
09-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Just don't forget to don a nurse outfit and walk around like you've got a world record wedgie. :D

Hope all goes well for you, and I suggest taking up a MMORPG so it seems like there is no time between now and Oct. 21st. I swear, MMORPGs may as well be declared time machines, you lose entire weeks. :D

Slicker
09-20-2008, 11:37 AM
As always Tycho you know I wish the best for you. After having met Tycho and gone several places with him it's a bit more personal now. For those that haven't met the REAL Tycho (or, as I like to call him, Josh) and only know his online persona then you're really missing out. He's a helluva guy and would gladly give the shirt off his back.

I'm hoping for the speediest of recoveries so that I can possibly swing on through when I go back to the states. Then maybe I'll have the time to meet the LA guys.

Dar' Argol
09-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks for your well-wishes guys.

Figrin: what if I meant my Masterpiece Megatron? If I transform him into a Walther P-38 handgun and run around the hospital high on morphine with my Darth Vader helmet on - they'll evacuate the building and call for SWAT!

:rambo: :D :twisted:

OMG!!! If that happens I want pictures . . or at least the Hospital Security feed!

Tycho, I hope all goes well with you and you can put all these problems behind you and get back to every nerds goal . . . scoring a hot babe! Of course chicks do dig scars so now you'll have an advantage. dang it . . . . . lol

Seriously though I hope everything goes well. I want to hang out with you at the next convention and talk geek. Or at least Michael Bay . . . or Mouse droids . . . just be there!

Tycho
09-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks Dar. Your baby-avatar with your kid is just great! Congratulations on any new addition to your family that I might have missed keeping up with.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the updates Josh. I can see that despite all the health setbacks in the past year or so, there is one integral part of you that hasn't changed; your keen and insightful observations about life and how your posts reflect the sometimes uneventful and mundane aspects that we do not normally stop to reflect on.

Strange they may be, but we could always count on Tycho to post a 1,000 word essay about nose picking in automobiles or the whiff of ozone from a plastic child's toy. And no matter how nonsensical some of these posts are--they at the very least make us pause, think, and even laugh (not at you):laugh:

As long as you are up to it, keep em' coming.

bobafrett
09-21-2008, 09:22 PM
My posts while on heavy medication should be great! :crazed:

I still remember reading about your placing your order for the Sideshow Aylla (sp?)!

Right now I'm so tired from working the last four days, both jobs, and I've hardly gotten a chance to sit and relax this evening since being off of work.

October also holds the month of Baseball playoffs, of which my beloved Cubs will be a part of!

Dar' Argol
09-22-2008, 05:47 AM
Thanks Dar. Your baby-avatar with your kid is just great! Congratulations on any new addition to your family that I might have missed keeping up with.

Considering what you have on your plate man, its understandable. That's my son Ryan who is just now 7 months old.

I'd offer you my kidneys but with the kidney stone issues i have I don;t think you want them. I'm heading in Wed to have Lithotripsy done to blow up the 5 or so stones I currently have.

I can't wait to read the drug induced posts that will occur after your procedure. I enjoy the ones you drop on us know, so I can only imagine the gems we will encounter!

jedi master sal
09-22-2008, 09:05 AM
As always Tycho you know I wish the best for you. After having met Tycho and gone several places with him it's a bit more personal now. For those that haven't met the REAL Tycho (or, as I like to call him, Josh) and only know his online persona then you're really missing out. He's a helluva guy and would gladly give the shirt off his back.

I'm hoping for the speediest of recoveries so that I can possibly swing on through when I go back to the states. Then maybe I'll have the time to meet the LA guys.

I have to agree. I'm glad I met Josh/Tycho at CIII. Putting a face to the name and having had dinner with him as well as "party" with him and some of the other fellas from SSG at CIII adding to my overall enjoyment of SSG and brought me closer to some members.

I wish you the best Tycho.

JON9000
09-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Good luck! You're almost home!

mabudonicus
09-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Hey dude, just wanted to remind ya that I am home a LOT of the time, if you still have my number and want to talk about somethin idiotic understand you are totally welcome to call anytime (tho remember the time diff, anything past 9 PM your time I can't guarantee I'll be functional)

Keep the spirits high and lookin forward to speakin with ya again sometime
:beard: Iso&Baws

Oyes, last time he took me to Target looking for toys while talking about inanities, it was fun since we don't have Target up here

JediTricks
09-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Last night when I was on the phone with JediTricks, I told him "I was having this operation so I could transform Megatron." Unfortunately I remember that. And I'll face up to it, because otherwise, I'm sure he'll post it anyway, soon as he logs on. (I remember that, JT. I just don't know how I mixed up my thoughts so bad in order to say that. In any event, I guess I'll pack Megatron with my things I'm taking to the hospital. Maybe that was a sign from Micahel Bay that he'll still be of some use.)You forgot to mention the part just before when you thought we were driving downtown to hit another bar. :p You were out of it on the bar thing, but once I woke you up enough to get you off the phone, you thought you were ok to talk and said the Megatron thing really clearly.

Hope all goes well for you, and I suggest taking up a MMORPG so it seems like there is no time between now and Oct. 21st. I swear, MMORPGs may as well be declared time machines, you lose entire weeks. :DThat's what I've been telling him for months!!! He and I share a friend who isn't on the site who was dedicating an entire in-person relationship to playing Warcraft!

Hey dude, just wanted to remind ya that I am home a LOT of the time, if you still have my number and want to talk about somethin idiotic understand you are totally welcome to call anytime (tho remember the time diff, anything past 9 PM your time I can't guarantee I'll be functional)

Keep the spirits high and lookin forward to speakin with ya again sometime

Oyes, last time he took me to Target looking for toys while talking about inanities, it was fun since we don't have Target up hereI remember, he talked to me not long after you guys talked on the phone recently, he thought Canada had a different area code system and he had called a US number, I had to break the news to him that he just dropped $45 on that international call. :p

Neuroleptic
09-22-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm lost. Tycho's Canadian?

^_^ no seriously, is it sad that I'm looking forward to reading his posts when he's hyped up?

I mean, I know that the surgery is important and will save his life. But at the same time . . . I can't help but think that that will be a happy day when he starts talking about the smurfs coming to break him out of the trunk he's locked in while he's sitting in his hospital bed.

Aside for it being funny as heck, I'll be taking it as a good sighn that things went well.

Tycho
09-23-2008, 02:42 AM
Wait a minute! I thought I just heard the nurse who brought me my morphine explaining to me that Michael Bay will come to personally see me in order to paint flames on the side of my Powerglide if I take out Neuroleptic with my Klingon disruptor rifle. :crazed:

Lock and load!

figrin bran
09-23-2008, 03:16 AM
So will you be calling up Lisa from Sideshow Collectibles again from the hospital? :p

Tycho
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
So will you be calling up Lisa from Sideshow Collectibles again from the hospital? :p

LOL. That was the strangest call she ever got:

"Help! I'm in the hospital! And I'm on drugs! And I need to order Aayla Secura. NOW!"

Yeah, they were talking about that one over at Sideshow and remembered the moment at Comic Con. lol

Oh, that's right: Figrin was actually there!

Neuroleptic
09-23-2008, 11:59 PM
So what did they say at comicon about that wonderful conversation that will go down in history?

Tycho
09-24-2008, 12:03 AM
So what did they say at comicon about that wonderful conversation that will go down in history?

They suggested putting that quote on their website to demonstrate just how much some fans wanted Sideshow Collectibles. I never saw it up there, but it could be in one of the blogs over there that I never have time to read.

mabudonicus
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I remember, he talked to me not long after you guys talked on the phone recently, he thought Canada had a different area code system and he had called a US number, I had to break the news to him that he just dropped $45 on that international call.

Ahhh, I guess I could have explained that, sorry Josh- mabs costs and right there is where you start payin (little paraphrase from FAME)

Two Words- PHONE CARDS (and to add a third "international")

Either way it was a funny conversation

Tycho
09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
To paraphrase Bill Clinton, "Calls to Mabs should be safe, legal, and made when affordable." ;)

JEDIpartner
09-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Either way it was a funny conversation

Better than most of the conversations I have with customers on a daily basis!! LOL

Droid
10-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Tycho,

I know that your transplant surgery was scheduled for tomorrow. I will be thinking of you and your donor and look forward to hearing that it was a success.

My dad gave my uncle a kidney thirty-one years ago and my uncle is still alive and well and using that kidney. My dad's health was never seriously impacted by the transplant. Today my dad and my uncle are both living a healthy life and enjoying grandchildren. Science has progressed so much since the '70's that I can only imagine how much easier the procedure will be on you and your donor and how much more success they have in making sure the transplants are successful.

I hope that in time you are able to resume doing those things you have had to give up these past years.

Best wishes for a quick recovery and may the Force be with You and Your Donor, Josh!

Blue2th
10-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Good luck and godspeed Tycho. Hope you make it out of the bacta tank ok.

TeeEye7
10-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Jeez, Droid, thanks for reminding us! Where the heck have I been!?

Good luck Josh! I'm sure the women of San Diego will be treated to Tycho Unleashed very soon! ;)

Phantom-like Menace
10-21-2008, 12:10 AM
We look forward to hearing what you ordered while medicated. Take care, sir.

TheCivilCollector
10-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Hey Tycho-

Just wanted to get in on the well-wishing. Here's hoping everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

May the force be with you, brother.

Kidhuman
10-21-2008, 12:40 AM
Josh, I wish you and the donor(I know who you are) the best of luck later today. I will keep both of you guys in prayer.

cookiemonster
10-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Tycho I hope everything goes well, and your up and about in no time, but while you are in hospital think of all those nurses, especially in those uniforms.:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2008, 12:46 AM
To both Josh (and the donor), I wish both of you the absolute best. You better get well soon and be back here in no time!

Slicker
10-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Definitely hoping for the best for the both of you.

I'm really hoping to also see a mophine induce post or too as well. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
10-21-2008, 10:37 AM
A morphine-induced post from Tycho? That'd be short and straightforward. ;)

I'm praying for you and expect to see you back here in excellent shape ASAP. That goes for you both. :thumbsup:

LTBasker
10-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Hope everything goes smooth, Tycho, and you're back with us soon enough!

JediTricks
10-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm afraid that there is no transplant today, it may be 2 more months before they can do it. Tycho told me he'd be posting personally about this, but since it's 2 in the afternoon and still no word from him, and you guys are all wondering, I felt you should know.

Anyway, let's keep a positive attitude about this, they didn't say no transplant, just not right now.

Rocketboy
10-21-2008, 05:15 PM
A morphine-induced post from Tycho? That'd be short and straightforward. ;)Or the longest list ever.

I'm afraid that there is no transplant today, it may be 2 more months before they can do it. Tycho told me he'd be posting personally about this, but since it's 2 in the afternoon and still no word from him, and you guys are all wondering, I felt you should know.

Anyway, let's keep a positive attitude about this, they didn't say no transplant, just not right now. Well that sucks, but I'm glad to hear it isn't a "No."

He can think of it like Hasbro delaying a new wave.

Lord Malakite
10-22-2008, 12:06 AM
I know this isn't much JT, but if you talk to him again before he post here you can tell Tycho that Fox picked up the additional 9 or so episodes for the Sarah Conner Chronicles giving it a complete second season. That should make him a bit happier.

Tycho
10-22-2008, 11:44 AM
OK, you guys should hear it from me as soon as possible. You have no idea how hard this news hit me - and I was really downtrodden about coming back online and posting about this.

But the whole business of reporting my situation and being blessed enough to find a donor, all actually started here, online, so here is where I'll confront the reality of the situation first.

You all are my best online family I could ever wish for and have all been tremendously supportive of me, so I am acting with the utmost grattitude while I post this.

Basically, I have a really strong immune system that has something in it that fights my donor's genetics, and it would kill their kidney within a year of it being transplanted.

As Droid pointed out about his father-to-uncle donation that's lasted an INCREDIBLE 31 years with both family members doing awesome still, this thing can really work if we wait and do it right. That's on me right now.

I have to continue sitting hooked up to a dialysis machine and have my blood cleaned 3 days a week for 4 hours out of each day, and then on one of my days away from it all, I have to spend 6-8 hours on an IV drip with "super-immune-systems boosters" to really hyper-activate my immune system. Professional medical experience is that once I'm boosted, my body will turn off my immune-system as it can't think I'll possibly need more (white blood cells, or something like that - I don't understand it as well as I should) and then with dialysis, they'll take everything out of me and I can respond to the medacines I'll need to not reject my donor's transplant.

The process will wind up causing me terrible fevers and chills, and cramps in my legs so bad, there will be times I won't be able to drive or even walk, and I've already had experiences literally screaming from such pain (Charlie horses and what not, as fluid is removed and my legs get drained).

The same donor I thought was giving me a kidney yesterday, will possibly end up being my donor after all - but this person will unfortunately not be available again until early next year. Another blood type O+ could work out immediately and (O-) is fine too. A "Type 2 of Blood Type A" would also work - maybe immediately (but maybe not - as my immune system is rather strong my doctors have told me). However 85% of Type A's would require I go through this immune system boost and purge to even be considering them. (My donor doesn't really have to do anything) But if I'm doing this, I have the best chance of it working out with my original donor anyway. But I guess several of my Type A friends are nevertheless going to test. If there's the 15% chance any of them are Type 2, and then we're off again.

I've almost died twice. Many of you remember my brain aneurysm I had in 2005. It was definitely related and is a possible occurance with many kinds of kidney failures. Then, since I have swollen and blistering, HUGE kidneys, mine can burst, as one did on July 1st of this year, and I could die from internal bleeding. However, a friend got me to the hospital just in time that occurence. I'll try not to do these things, but it's really not all in my control.
So, the sooner I can get things taken care of, the better it will be.

Along the way, my mid-section hurts every day and it's uncomfortable to dress nice or even eat sometimes.

Also, the doctors are not removing my bad kidneys that can break right away. If a new kidney isn't working (and a good many times they don't start immediately) they want my originals in place a little longer (like a few months longer) so I still have some function.

So you can see, that even with a successful transplant, I'll still have organs inside me that can suffer a fatal catastrophe for a significant period after my surgery.

This post isn't about being a living donor, or leaving your organs to donation after you pass (via a donor card on your drivers' license or instructions in your will or advance directive), but I think it's so important to mention it. Someone else can dig up that statistics on how many people are desperate out there to find this kind of assistance that they'll need just to survive.

But anyway, I hope that in 5 weeks at the very minimal, but more likely by early next year, my original donor and I will work out, or else, someone else will.

In the meanwhile, I plan to survive with dialysis for a little while longer, and stick with my medications and follow my diet. I've actually been very good at doing that and my donor was quite satisfied that I'm taking my responsibilities very seriously.

Meanwhile, I'll start the treatment to boost and then weaken my immune system. But I am extremely frightened that this will be very, very painful for me. The more fluids I have adding to my mass, the worse the cramps I'll get when they take it out of me again (Charlie horses from hell for starters, where I can't move my feet and lower legs to drive or even walk - and I'm terrified of that kind of paralysis occurring when I'm behind the wheel). The other side effects include fevers and chills. When you're home and you can hit a cold or warm shower, that's one thing. When I'm going crazy in the dialysis chair, shivering or sweating - often both at different times - it's torture. And I get cramps on top of that.

I screamed my head off at the chief of the surgery department yesterday and let him know just that. I hope I waited until I could be a bit nicer before I told all of you.

- Josh

mtriv73
10-22-2008, 12:24 PM
I was really praying that this would all be over with for you (in a good way) by today.

I hope they can induce anergy in all your T-cells soon so the transplant can proceed. Do you know what they're giving you in the IV drip? It sounds like it might be a sort of allergy-shot-(not literally)-on-steroids to tolerize you to the donors MHC type. I didn't know they did that but if it works it's brilliant.

We're all thinking about you. I hope you get the transplant the very minute it has the best chance of working for you.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-22-2008, 12:46 PM
That's too bad that it didn't work out yesterday, but hang in there. I think waiting a little while longer will be worth it just to make sure that it all works out in the best way possible.

Tycho
10-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks John.

MTriv: it's IVIG protocals (intra-veinus immunoglobulin) which is the first step.

I have to spend 8 hours at the hospital taking in giant IV bags of fluid which will literally make me scream when they take it all off me in dialysis.

It's like gaining 10 lbs (or more) and then having it ripped right out of you the very next day.

I'm thinking that maybe I can spend longer than my usual 3 hours actually on the dialysis machine, so they can take it off me more slowly. I'll ask today if that will help. So that's another day gone - hooked up to machines. :mad:

Slicker
10-22-2008, 01:22 PM
That's really unfortunate Josh. Obviously I hope all works out and I hope the donor is still willing to go through with it. Still many big props to both you and the other donor. He's a helluva guy. :thumbsup:

cookiemonster
10-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Damn Tycho I dont know what to say man, I am actually lost for words.

My wishes are with you and I hope everything goes ok.

El Chuxter
10-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh, man, I can't tell you how much it sucks to hear that, but at least it's not totally off the table. Is the whole situation with your immune system something they just discovered yesterday?

Tycho
10-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Yes. When a mint-fresh blood sample was taken from me and my donor, they could do their best testing for a reaction.

figrin bran
10-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Tycho, I hope everything works out for you despite the recent setbacks.

I was going to post this in the TF movie thread but I might as well do it here. So it appears that a TF movie ride will be constructed and then opened at Universal Studios in 2011. I would love to join you when you come to ride it!

Tycho
10-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Cool - about the Transformers ride. But TF is Paramount, not Universal???

Darth Jax
10-23-2008, 08:44 AM
The super immune system is the first step. Learn to regenerate next and you'll be ready for adamantium claws.

it sucks that you've got to endure even more pain and discomfort after all that you've gone through. but if means the transplant is more likely to succeed it'll be worth it. just keep remembering all those plans for dioramas.

JEDIpartner
10-23-2008, 09:14 AM
:( *crosses fingers*

bobafrett
10-23-2008, 10:28 AM
I had really hoped this would be over for you, and that by now you would be sitting in the hospital in recovery. I'm a bit saddened, but hopefully optimistic that together you can rule the galaxy with donor and recipient!

JON9000
10-25-2008, 01:38 PM
I hope you have a speedy recovery and can get those damned things out as soon as possible. That's no way to have to spend a day, much less years of your life. I won't tell you to be positive, because what you are dealing with is completely beyond my comprehension and it seems a bit crass to say such a thing, but it is my wish that you are back to normal as soon as can be. Hopefully, the light is visible at the end of the tunnel.

Tycho
10-25-2008, 03:15 PM
I've now spent 3 YEARS with a growing belly because my kidneys got so swollen and bloated, they pushed my stomach and intestines further and further forward, so it looks like I'm pregnant.

In other threads we all have talked a lot about women. Our relationships with them are very important to a lot of us guys. For the most part, I am only left to contend with my ex's who knew me when I was normal once upon a time, and now feel sorry for me and/or want closure from our past experiences.

However, I'm really trying (harder than I'd ever had to) in order to meet new ladies for companionship and more. What that winds up meaning, is that I'm a fun diversion from relationships they are already in, and I think they feel safe having a fling with me, because initially they think that they'd never really take me seriously as a prospective boyfriend. Translate that however you will.

But back to what many will regard as more important, the crunching of my stomach causes naseau and vomiting, replacing pants and belts that no longer fit me or finally shrink in the wash no matter how careful I've been, and converting any new pants to bear suspender buttons so I can actually keep my pants up. As I said before, sweatsuits are way more comfortable, but you can't wear them everywhere, and I still like nice restaurants and some things I still enjoy in life are taking dates out to nice places and events that you can't wear a sweatsuit to.

However, I think I'm now safe in buying my Metallica tickets for December 11th. (They're playing San Diego State, my Alma Matter) I don't have much else I'm looking forward to, except...

My novel is currently being professionally edited. Maybe I'll do better at working on it without post-transplant pain and constant follow-up appointments?

The house and working with my Star Wars dioramas doesn't actually seem any further away. It was less dependent on my kidney transplant than on the success of my novel and getting into the publishing world. I am working on my story's prequel now. If I have time to search for real estate, I may buy well ahead of a transplant and recovery. I have to go on with my life like I'm going to make it through all this. My theory is that in the event of sudden death, I won't really care.

When I'm re-settled, I might re-enter political activism and work my way back into a position where I might run for office.

Tycho
02-02-2009, 05:34 AM
Well, I can't sleep right now. My kidney transplant is in almost exactly 27 hours!

Of course I'm nervous and scared. But I have to do this. It's the only way I'll recover my time, my life, and not just whither and die.

There will be more information about everything that went down in the days following and I'll either get online after I'm feeling better following the surgery, or I'll call people from the site for whom I have their phone numbers.

Kidhuman
02-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Good Luck Josh. I will be keeping you in my prayers.

Slicker
02-02-2009, 06:09 AM
I just emailed you Josh but I do wish for the best. I've got your number so I'll try and give a call when I can.

I wish the best for you and your donor.:thumbsup:

DarthQuack
02-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Hope everything goes nice and smooth, I'll drop you a little prayer as well.

Darth Jax
02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
With a little luck, you'll have nothing but really cute nurses.

Hope everything goes smoothly and you're back here telling us about your dreams

Blue2th
02-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Finally the day has come. Wish you the best.

sebillba
02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't often visit this section, and only just stumbled across this thread today. Wishing you all the best with the transplant Josh, hope it all goes smoothly, and transforms your life. I'm not religious, so won't be saying any prayers, but I'll be thinking about you mate.

Droid
02-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I'll be thinking of you, Josh.

JetsAndHeels
02-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Best of luck Josh. Hope all goes well!!

TeeEye7
02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Good luck to you both.

All will go well :jedihandwave:

Tycho
02-02-2009, 12:12 PM
With a little luck, you'll have nothing but really cute nurses.

I hope so as well. But you should see the nutricianist! I went to college with her when she worked as a waitress at Chillis. I made my friends go there to eat with me so many times so I could flirt with her. She never went out with me, but she did hug me when I came into the restaurant and she'd come and sit at my table with me on her break. I once met her at a downtown nightclub, but that wasn't like it was a date.

Thus I can conclude that she likes me at least as a friend and that (miraculously) I don't annoy her. That's a start I guess. (A Tycho Dating Tip: It's good not to annoy a girl you like.)

So my doctor had a special diet book for kidney patients prepared by singer Billy Joel's wife - her father suffers from kidney failure. (Billy Joel's wife is really hot by the way. Her picture's in the inside cover. She hosts cooking shows and writes recipe books or something like she's another Rachael Ray.) Well, I asked my doctor for a copy, he gave it to me, and I'm going to bring it to the hospital with me as a present for this girl - taking an interest in being of help to her with her career. (Another Tycho Dating Tip: Try bribing the girl you like. It can really work.)

Anyway, so while I go balls out after my nutricianist (I already know what I want to eat), that won't stop me from flirting with the rest of the nurses if I come across any I am interested in. But I have already stayed in this hospital twice for treatments to prepare me for this transplant. I was not at all attracted to my nurses - they were probably in their 40s, maybe one was in her 30s, but they were caring and copetant, and for that I greatly appreciated them and liked them very much - but not in THAT way. Besides, my pseudo girlfriend (on / off again ex-girlfriend of 12 years or so) is way hot still, she's a nurse too (not at my hospital though) and she's always around. I really am in love with her but we don't have any semblance of a normal relationship. So it would be best if that changed for the better, or I could make a fresh start with someone else. But the thing is, we'll always be close and I have no idea (long term) what that means.

Hope everything goes smoothly and you're back here telling us about your dreams

I will soon be posting while on oxycontins, maybe even morphine!

You guys have not experienced the True-Tycho posting YET! Uh-oh. Look out! There will be some strange stuff a-coming!

Darth Jax
02-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I will soon be posting while on oxycontins, maybe even morphine!

You guys have not experienced the True-Tycho posting YET! Uh-oh. Look out! There will be some strange stuff a-coming!

just hide the credit cards. no ordering toys while even more out of your mind then usual.

pbarnard
02-02-2009, 01:03 PM
On that cocktail, you usually can resist the urge to drink, even drive. But let us know how it goes resisting the urge to operate heavy machinery. That's always the hardest.

JEDIpartner
02-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Bless your silly little heart, Tycho!! :love:

Rocketboy
02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Anyway, so while I go balls out after my nutricianistI'm gonna have to go ahead and advise against that. I'm pretty sure you'll end up with a lawsuit/restraining order and you'll need to find another nutritionist.

LTBasker
02-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Good luck, buddy! Hope it all goes smoothly, looking forward to the future insanity. :D

Snowtrooper
02-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Tycho, getting slapped by nurses has been proven to be detrimental to transplanted kidneys.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Damn, I didn't realize it was so soon . . . good luck to you both!

sith_killer_99
02-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Good luck Josh!

bobafrett
02-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Get a good nights sleep and we'll see you on the other side!

figrin bran
02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
I hope it goes well Tycho! I'll be keeping you in prayers!

I actually work in a nutritionist's office so if she is looking to relocate, send her my way! :p

El Chuxter
02-03-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm praying for you, Josh. I didn't realize you were this close, so I'm not sure if you'll see this before going in.

mark2d2
02-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Hey, I usually just pop in here every once and a while, and just noticed this thread today on the main page.

Anyway, good luck Tycho. Hopefully all went well and you will soon be on the mend. Get well soon, Josh!

Phantom-like Menace
02-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Good luck as always. We'll be waiting to find out you're well and have gotten into plenty of trouble with nurses.

DarthQuack
02-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Anyone hear anything from Tycho?

TeeEye7
02-03-2009, 10:43 AM
It's too early yet. They're probably under way now, though.

JON9000
02-03-2009, 12:03 PM
GOOD LUCK! See you on the flip!

JediTricks
02-04-2009, 01:44 AM
Tycho received the donor kidney today in a 4 hour surgery starting at 10am PST this morning thanks to a VERY generous donor. Both donor and recipient are doing well as of the last time I talked to T on the phone, around 9pm this evening. He won't be getting out of the hospital until Friday, and decided not to bring his laptop so no reading or writing posts until then, but I'll be sure to keep everybody up to date on his condition.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2009, 01:46 AM
That's great news! Here's to a speedy recovery!

Slicker
02-04-2009, 02:36 AM
That's awesome!!! Definitely wishin' a speedy recovery to Josh AND his friggin' awesome donor.

DarthQuack
02-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Great news to wake up to!

LTBasker
02-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Glad to hear it all went through, and am very grateful for the person that stepped up to donate the kidney. I was really getting worried if the day for the operation would ever come.

Kidhuman
02-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Awesome stuff for Tycho and the Donor. Good luck to them both.

DarthQuack
02-04-2009, 07:02 AM
So the donor came right here from the boards? That's amazing and inspiring....can't wait to hear this story.

Slicker
02-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Most indeedy he's from here. If you read the threads you can figure it out. I'm sure Tycho'll let it out soon. :thumbsup:

Phantom-like Menace
02-04-2009, 07:20 AM
If everything from here on out goes as well as I hope it will, Tycho, you can look forward to becoming a ninja superhero with more ladies hanging on your arm than you can possibly entertain . . . if not for your ninja superherodom. That'll totally guarantee each one of them her due attention. Take care.

Rocketboy
02-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Very happy to hear that everything went great!

Although I thought the not-so secret identity of the donor was revealed in this thread. I guess I'm confusing it with a conversation on another site.

Tycho, I'm very glad to read that you'll be around to annoy us for years to come! :D
And to you Mr. (fighting the...urge...to make...a..slightly witty comment that...would reveal...his...identity...) Donor, as I said before you sir, are a saint.

JON9000
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the update. I am very happy to hear he's doing well.

mtriv73
02-04-2009, 10:38 AM
That is the best news I've heard all week. I wish Tycho and his new BF a speedy recovery. I also really admire the bravery and sacrifice of the donor. His selfless act is truly an inspiration.

Darth Jax
02-04-2009, 10:54 AM
great news to hear that things went smoothly for both of them.

mabudonicus
02-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Ahh GREAT to hear- Both of you get well soon- you have no reason to not be getting in shape for summer in the real near future!!

And yes, to Mr.Donor, I always thought you were a really fine fellow, but this... "above and beyond" is not a strong enough decription for what you have done to make this outcome possible. Thank you for making such a powerful gesture in the name of utterly selfless humanity (not trying to be corny, it is honestly almost too heavy for words to express- and I have a funny feeling Mr.Donor will INSIST it was nothing anyway which almost makes it even more touching) You'll be twisting them droids again in no time!!

Okay I gotta go think of a good poop joke and get the dust outta my eye :D

awesome news indeed

Rocketboy
02-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Steve let the cat out of the bag... (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=10&p2_articleid=1937)

Star Wars Fan Gives Kidney to Fellow Fan

We take a break from the Star Wars news to let you know how strong "The Force" really is with the Star Wars community.

Josh "Tycho" Weisleberg has been part of the SirStevesGuide.com community for well over a decade, starting not long after I launched the site. Josh was first known for his newsletters regarding the world of Star Wars comics and books (as well as a die-hard Hasbro collector and diorama builder) until an inherited kidney disorder put him in a coma for months and his longterm health took a sharp turn. So he put aside the newsletter to concentrate on dealing with his health, keeping active in the forums, and eventually even writing a book, while waiting on the donor list for a new kidney. It took the generosity of a fellow Star Wars fan, nearly 3 years, dialysis, and one disheartening false start, but as of February 3rd, 2009, his transplant was successful.

The donor (or should I say hero) in this is Barry "bobafrett" Benecke. Barry gave the greatest gift one can give: life. Barry, a father, Star Wars collector, and member of the 501st Legion with several costumes, had never met Josh in person before but they were both active in the Forum (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/). The need for donor kidneys is enormous in this country, there is a kidney waiting list of 90,000 people which had greatly limited Josh's chances, and when his health took a fast downturn in 2006, Barry felt compelled to help out a buddy in such dire need and offered to donate his own kidney, and it's simply amazing that everything worked out. I know there had been ups and downs, Barry had to undergo test after test to ensure that he was a good match, take time off from work, his family feared that he might not survive the kidney donation surgery, plus there were several trips from Barry's hometown of Chicago out to San Diego, all to help out a fellow Star Wars fan. Barry, you are truly a special person!

We at SirStevesGuide.com wanted to say that this site has brought a lot of entertainment to the world of Star Wars, but knowing it was a vehicle to bring a kidney to someone in need is something that I and the staff are most proud of. Even though I never thought that a simple Star Wars web site would have such an impact on someone's life, I am certainly thrilled and amazed that it has. I get to see Josh ever year at the San Diego Comic-Con and I am looking forward to seeing him back to his old self. After talking with him this morning, I can already tell he's coming around. He told me his surgeon, Dr. Christopher Marsh, even wore a Darth Vader "May The Force Be With You!" T-Shirt during surgery!

sith_killer_99
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Rest up Tycho, we'll see you back here soon.

Then I will start bugging you to get that book published!!! I want to read it!!!

JediTricks
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
He mentioned that he needs to get back to his editor soon, so his eyes are on the future and you likely will be seeing his book (or books, as the case most likely will be, I kid you not), at some point.

sith_killer_99
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
his eyes are on the future and you likely will be seeing his book (or books, as the case most likely will be, I kid you not), at some point.

That is fantastic!:thumbsup::D

JediTricks
02-04-2009, 02:11 PM
That is fantastic!:thumbsup::D
Well, reserve that judgment until you read them. ;) J/k :p

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I have to give major props to Bobafrett for stepping up and doing this, waiting 3 years to help a friend he hadn't even met in person before, putting his life on the line. Barry's the MAN! He had to put up with so much, and even being the stand up guy he is, it amazes me that someone could be so generous towards a casual acquaintance, especially at personal risk and knowing the outcome for him with the best success will still mean months of recovery from this surgery. We all know he got married during this ordeal, his poor new wife having to fear possibly losing her husband merely to help a near stranger from her perspective. So for him to go through all of this, that is truly amazing and it takes an incredible strength of character to do what Barry's done here. There aren't enough ways to congratulate him for this.

Lord Malakite
02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
So is Tycho done now or does he have to go back for another kidney surgery sometime in the future? I could of swore I read something from Tycho either in the forums or someplace else where he mentioned he'd have to keep his bad kidneys till they were certain the donated one wouldn't be rejected and that as long as the bad ones were there he could still have problems.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2009, 04:27 PM
I knew Barry was the donor, but I didn't know it was in planning that long! I will reiterate what an amazing thing that was of you to do.

LTBasker
02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
That's awesome - Frett's always been a pretty great guy, but this puts him up in hero status!

Slicker
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
That's awesome - Frett's always been a pretty great guy, but this puts him up in hero status!That's exactly how I felt. I've always liked Barry. :love:

Ji'dai
02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Hope all turns out well for you, Tycho. It's been hard enough reading about the anguish you had to go through to get to this point, I can't imagine actually living it. Here's to a speedy recovery with no rejections!

Same to you bobafrett. You're a much braver man than I.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-04-2009, 05:45 PM
That's awesome to hear. Frett, you're a great man, and Tycho, rest up and get better soon.

figrin bran
02-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Outstanding news!!!!

Bobafrett, you are a superhero!!!!

Phantom-like Menace
02-05-2009, 01:06 AM
I tend to be a little out of the loop, usually feel like little more than a lurker, so I didn't really know who the donor was, and I didn't pry when the subject came up in private discussion with others, but I actually guessed it was Bobafrett. That's really awesome that this went down the way it did.

I really wish the best for both of you, and I hope you both get back to hanging out with us soon.

jonthejedi
02-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Josh & Barry...you both truly have the "right stuff." In an age where we can view videos of fallen human beings literally being ignored & passed by on the street...you have reaffirmed the magnificence of what it means to be a human being. Well done!

sebillba
02-05-2009, 04:29 AM
I've only recently been following Tycho's progress, and had no idea his donor came from these very boards - I find this incredible, and a real testament to the power of this forum, and the bonds formed through it. For two people who had never actually met in person to go through this is astounding, it really brought a lump to my throat when I read about it.

Huge respect and admiration goes out to Barry, a real hero among men, and to Josh, of course, who has been battling bravely for so long. Wishing you both a speedy recovery, and MTFBWY.

BTW, has this story been covered on American News? It surely deserves to be.

Slicker
02-05-2009, 04:33 AM
BTW, has this story been covered on American News? It surely deserves to be.Not that I know of. If it doesn't pertain to trashy politics or a heinous crime they don't bother to cover it.

Sean the Hutt
02-05-2009, 05:06 AM
My god! I have been off the forums with my own personal tragedies...I am so happy for you Tycho, and super dude...you restore my faith in humanity. Kudos to the force, and this community!

El Chuxter
02-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I hope he doesn't mind me saying so, but I talked to Tycho last night and was surprised he was even able to use the phone. He said he and Barry are both doing well, and everything's going great with the new kidney. He expects to be home, recuperating and playing Lego Star Wars on the Wii within a few days.

Oh, and he said he plans to take Barry to a Queensryche concert next year. So Barry really only did this for concert tickets to avoid Ticketmaster's markups.

(I'm kidding! Kidding!!)

DarthBrandon
02-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm pretty much lost for words here, just truly amazing. I'm glad things worked out for you Josh, give Barry a big hug for all of us; he's truly one of a few people I'd call a hero. The force is with you both.:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-05-2009, 01:32 PM
As Steve pointed out, the story is mentioned here (http://blogs.usatoday.com/popcandy/2009/02/--i-hate-to-sta.html). I'm surprised it's not on starwars.com yet but I seriously bet it will be.

Old Fossil
02-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Man, this makes me proud to be a forum member here!

Good luck Josh & Barry.:thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-05-2009, 07:37 PM
BTW, has this story been covered on American News? It surely deserves to be.
Not that I know of. If it doesn't pertain to trashy politics or a heinous crime they don't bother to cover it.Actually, this is the type of thing that would be perfect for O'Reilly's "Pinheads & Patriots" segment at the end of his show. Bobafrett would obviously fall under the "Patriot" category. Well done, sir. I hope you are both doing fine and make full recoveries.

JediTricks
02-05-2009, 08:23 PM
So is Tycho done now or does he have to go back for another kidney surgery sometime in the future? I could of swore I read something from Tycho either in the forums or someplace else where he mentioned he'd have to keep his bad kidneys till they were certain the donated one wouldn't be rejected and that as long as the bad ones were there he could still have problems.His health aspects are essentially done, but in May he'll be going in for surgery to remove the cyst-riddled old kidneys finally.

I've only recently been following Tycho's progress, and had no idea his donor came from these very boards - I find this incredible, and a real testament to the power of this forum, and the bonds formed through it. For two people who had never actually met in person to go through this is astounding, it really brought a lump to my throat when I read about it.

Huge respect and admiration goes out to Barry, a real hero among men, and to Josh, of course, who has been battling bravely for so long. Wishing you both a speedy recovery, and MTFBWY.

BTW, has this story been covered on American News? It surely deserves to be.Right on!

It got a quick mention in USA Today, and it's getting out there a little more today and tomorrow in other outlets.

I hope he doesn't mind me saying so, but I talked to Tycho last night and was surprised he was even able to use the phone. He called me the day of the surgery at 8:30pm, only 4 hours after the surgery was completed. We talked with him and a mutual friend for a few, then later that night he called me back and talked until 2am where I finally had to grab sleep. So he's doing really well in that regard. When you talked to him yesterday though, he hadn't gotten much sleep, I called a little after you to see how he was doing and he was sleepy. Then he called me back at 3 in the morning and left a voicemail saying he only got about 5 hours of sleep. :p So yeah, he's back to using the phone.

Oh, and he said he plans to take Barry to a Queensryche concert next year. So Barry really only did this for concert tickets to avoid Ticketmaster's markups.This year actually, in 3 months. And I'd say Barry giving up a kidney is about par for the course with Ticketmaster fees. ;)

Rocketboy
02-05-2009, 11:42 PM
This year actually, in 3 months. And I'd say Barry giving up a kidney is about par for the course with Ticketmaster fees. ;)Wow, so the recession is even hitting Ticketmaster.

JetsAndHeels
02-05-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well. Barry did a great thing (that's an understatement) and he is to be commended.

I talk to Tycho on the phone from time to time too and I look forward to hearing from him again once he has recovered.

SirSteve
02-06-2009, 11:01 AM
San Diego Fox News Channel 6 did a segment. The link is here:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=10&p2_articleid=1937

DarthQuack
02-06-2009, 11:06 AM
That's awesome, I'd love to see CNN pick up that piece. And we got to see SirSteve in the flesh! :P

Rocketboy
02-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Awesome, but no Ron Burgundy?

Droid
02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I was interested to know that we all meet here every night. Remember, last one out, turn off the lights.

I also enjoyed how the woman anchor kind of snorted/laughed/chuckled at the end of the story. Classy.

TeeEye7
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
San Diego Fox News Channel 6 did a segment. The link is here:

Thanks for the link! It's great seeing/hearing first-hand that all are doing fine! :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Awesome!!
Great to hear Josh's voice knowing he wasn't losing 40$ this time ;)

Really glad to know things are going right smoothly for both of the folks involved.

Oh and I am kinda surprised Tycho didn't try to sneak in a promo for his book, maybe I should be his PR guy cos I woulda been all over that (tho ya never know what got left in the editing room)

Man, what a tale, good thing the techno wizards did their job so well in the dark time :D

Blue2th
02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
I had no idea Frett was doing this. He's got a big heart.
If that's not a friend, I don't know what is.

mtriv73
02-06-2009, 01:51 PM
This is more for JT or anyone else who knows Josh well...

I'm assuming sending flowers is bad for people who just had a transplant (due to the anti-rejection drugs lowering your immune system [Besides sending flowers to a guy really isn't my style.]) Does Tycho have a charity (like the kidney association) we could send a donation to (in his name) instead. I think BF is a huge Relay for Life participant so I assume that would be his choice.

If everyone here kicked in the equivalent of a few figures, we could make a huge difference.

Lord Malakite
02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm assuming sending flowers is bad for people who just had a transplant (due to the anti-rejection drugs lowering your immune system [Besides sending flowers to a guy really isn't my style.])
You could always send over an escort. It conveys the same message and isn't quite as weird as a guy sending another guy flowers. Plus it fits Tycho's style. :D

Darth Jax
02-06-2009, 03:52 PM
that works for Tycho. but Frett's married so it might only get him in hot water.

bobafrett
02-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Hello. I just got back on the forums today. I thank you for your kind words, but I hardly consider myself a hero, just a friend helping another friend. I am still sore, but the pain seems to get a little better every day. I'm just going to copy and paste my latest "blog" from my myspace page. It has some of the details of what I went through this time.

In a day when the world seems to be spinning out of control, I feel I have done something to help keep it a little more sane, because you all know we couldn't do without Josh's long and winding posts!

From my myspace page:
Donating a kidney.
Current mood: sore
Well, I wanted to give you an update on my kidney donation surgery. Robin and I got out here to San Diego Sunday night. Josh, the friend who needed a kidney, met us at the airport, and drove us to get a rental car. We got to our motel and early Monday I had to have follow up labs done to make sure not much had changed since my visit in October. About the only thing that had changed was I gained 8 pounds. After getting approved, we went back to the motel, and got to bed early. Tuesday was surgery day, and we had to be at the hospital at 5 am.

Robin and I got checked in, and were called back to an area where they prep you for surgery, this included getting questioned on my medical history, changing out of my street clothes to more appropriate surgical gowns and getting hooked up on an I.V., after a brief goodbye kiss to my wife, I was whisked away to the recovery room area where I was shaved on my upper body so they could tape a surgical curtain. I met with my surgeon, the anesthesiologist, and others who would be assisting in the surgery. Next I was wheeled into the surgery room, and was shifted from on bed to a narrow surgery table. I remember the nurses putting my arms off to the side then, boom, I was out. I woke up back in the recovery room. When I awoke I was rather groggy, but I recall looking up at the clock and it was almost 2:15 in the after noon. My first thought was of Robin, as I knew she was rather nervous about me going through this surgery to begin with. We were supposed to be out of the recovery room by noon, so I knew the delay would cause extra panic with her. What seemed like mere seconds for me, must have been an eternity for my lovely wife.

I was wheeled up to my room, still kind of in la la land, but it was the anesthetic wearing off. I felt okay, and was limited ti ice chips to keep hydrated. By Wednesday, I started feeling nauseous. I was not feeling well at all. Later in the afternoon, they wanted me to get up and walk, I stood up, with much pain, and was informed by Robin that I was looking a ghostly white, I was put back down into bed. My doctors informed me that I would feel much better by Thursday, but the way I felt that day, I said to myself "Yeah, right". Later on they got me up again, and I was able to walk with the assistance of a walker, Robin and a nurse. It felt great to be on my feet again!

Thursday morning came around, and I did feel better, I actually had a desire to eat. Robin had to assist me still with my meals, as it was still painful to bend much in any direction. More walking on Thursday, as well as being taken off the pain medication that was being fed through the I.V., and being switched to vicodin to manage the pain. I got my first shower in several days, and that felt great! Later on in the day, Robin and I awaited our discharge from the hospital. Robin was allowed to stay in my room, which greatly helped in my recovery time They set up a cot for her next to my bed, of course every time a nurse, or doctor came in to check on my, or check my vitals, she was awoken too. Robin was a great assistant to me, getting me anything I might need, without having to call a nurse. I love and respect her for that.

We got back to our motel around 5:30 Thursday evening, when I was called by a local San Diego news station who wanted to interview me about the connection of Star Wars with the surgery, For those of you who don't know, both myself, and my kidney recipient are fans of the Star Wars films. You can read more about it at the the two sites I have included links to just below. One is SirStevesGuide, the forum I met Josh on, the other has the news story both written, and the video in the upper right hand corner.

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/How-Star-Wars-Helped-Cause-a-Man-to-Give-a-Kidney/UOaB0pB970qeuv-YO7ThWg.cspx

I forgot to add, due to the fact I was getting a little hungry, but after I got my discharge papers, they brought a wheelchair over to wheel me to the car. On the way down I stopped to see the gentleman who got my kidney, and he looked good considering he hadn't slept much over the previous 48 hours. He told me that his creatine levels had dropped from a 16.5 down to a 2.1. Normal creatine levels from what I understand are around 1.5, so this was great news! We didn't stay long as he had other medical staff come in, and he had been given medication to help him sleep.

I also wanted to mention that the room I was in looked down over the golf course where the Buick open was going on. We got to watch some of the action right from my hospital bed! I'm not much of a golfer, about the only time I follow it is when Tiger Woods is playing, but he was still healing from some knee surgery, so he wasn't in attendance. Beyond the golf course was the Pacific Ocean. So I can't complain about the view I had from my hospital room!

As we were leaving, my coordinator brought a gift bag to me from the transplant team. In it was a coffee mug, and an bracelet which says "give life", a insulated carrier to hold my water bottle in and two t-shirts, both say "Scripps organ and cell transplant hospital" on the front, and on the back of one of the shirts it says "Transplant team" on the other "Have 2, gave 1, living kidney donor". I was also give a certificate of appreciation signed by the transplant team.

I am still a bit sore, but I knew this would happen, as I had researched other donors experiences that had been posted on the web.

Peace and God bless you all!
Barry (bobafrett)
TK-523

bobafrett
02-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Oh, and I didn't reveal who I was, in the event that I couldn't be a donor. I went through a great many tests, and flew out in October to be a donor only to have the surgery postponed because Josh's blood didn't get along with mine during the final crossmatch. Only a few picked up on who I was, mostly I think because I was friends on myspace where I posted about it in my blog. I think it's lunchtime, and I'm getting a little hungry.

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Wow, so the recession is even hitting Ticketmaster.Zing! :p

I also enjoyed how the woman anchor kind of snorted/laughed/chuckled at the end of the story. Classy."Ha ha, someone put their life at risk to save a fellow human being, but they did it because of Star Wars so it's cute." Ah the news.

Awesome!!
Great to hear Josh's voice knowing he wasn't losing 40$ this time ;) Yeah, no kidding! For $40, he could have bought you and him USB headsets and talked for free on the internet. :p

Oh and I am kinda surprised Tycho didn't try to sneak in a promo for his book, maybe I should be his PR guy cos I woulda been all over that (tho ya never know what got left in the editing room)
:beard: Iso&BawsHe actually took his book to his editor RIGHT before he went in for surgery, I believe. If he had a publisher signed on, I bet you he would have mentioned it. :D

This is more for JT or anyone else who knows Josh well...

I'm assuming sending flowers is bad for people who just had a transplant (due to the anti-rejection drugs lowering your immune system [Besides sending flowers to a guy really isn't my style.]) Does Tycho have a charity (like the kidney association) we could send a donation to (in his name) instead. I think BF is a huge Relay for Life participant so I assume that would be his choice.

If everyone here kicked in the equivalent of a few figures, we could make a huge difference.I will talk to him about that. He's got a local support group who has been a big help, and his doctor is part of something as well, I believe.

Hello. I just got back on the forums today. I thank you for your kind words, but I hardly consider myself a hero, just a friend helping another friend. I am still sore, but the pain seems to get a little better every day. I'm just going to copy and paste my latest "blog" from my myspace page. It has some of the details of what I went through this time.

In a day when the world seems to be spinning out of control, I feel I have done something to help keep it a little more sane, because you all know we couldn't do without Josh's long and winding posts!Thanks for posting and letting us know how you're doing. I'm not sure how ensuring more of Tycho posts makes the world sane ;) , but you definitely did something heroic, something above and beyond even when it put you at risk, so humility be damned, that's what makes a hero.

Plus, you really made all us Star Wars fans look good with this one. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Plus, you really made all us Star Wars fans look good with this one. :D
Really! I loved the article that mentioned this story and one where a guy robbed a store with a Klingon store, defnitively ending the debate. :D

Seriously though, welcome back! Take it easy and don't worry about getting back to us, just worry about getting better.

Yeah, that video was interesting with the fact that we come here every night, as if it were some sort of primetime chat room or something. :D Also noted a mispronunciation of Josh's last name, I think. And those clips were a little heavy on AOTC for no apparent reason. It was good to see and hear you guys, though!

bobafrett
02-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Really! I loved the article that mentioned this story and one where a guy robbed a store with a Klingon store, defnitively ending the debate. :D

Seriously though, welcome back! Take it easy and don't worry about getting back to us, just worry about getting better.

Yeah, that video was interesting with the fact that we come here every night, as if it were some sort of primetime chat room or something. :D Also noted a mispronunciation of Josh's last name, I think. And those clips were a little heavy on AOTC for no apparent reason. It was good to see and hear you guys, though!

I'm fine, we're all fine here, how are you? (attempting to quote Han Solo, while I am on pain medication)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Good, but I would be better if I too had some pain medication! :p

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Yeah, that video was interesting with the fact that we come here every night, as if it were some sort of primetime chat room or something. :D Also noted a mispronunciation of Josh's last name, I think. And those clips were a little heavy on AOTC for no apparent reason. It was good to see and hear you guys, though!As a Trekkie and a Star Wart (:p), I found that comparison a good laugh, but the idea of anybody doing any sort of robbery with a bat'leth is kinda awesome too.

They did undersell the site, but it's not like they spent a week getting to know what we do here. I think they said his name right, but in the article they spelled it wrong, it's "weiselberg", not "weisleberg". They didn't pronounce it on the air "weasel-berg", that's Tycho's pet peeve. :p Having never heard Bobafrett's last name in person, I wasn't sure that sounded right but it seemed like it could be. What say you Barry? Or are you not watching all the news about your donation? ;)

I'm fine, we're all fine here, how are you? (attempting to quote Han Solo, while I am on pain medication)
See, you didn't need to tell us who you were quoting, ol TK-523. Maybe the news guy, but not us. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2009, 08:49 PM
I think they said his name right, but in the article they spelled it wrong, it's "weiselberg", not "weisleberg". They didn't pronounce it on the air "weasel-berg", that's Tycho's pet peeve. :p
It sounded like they pronounced it "Weiselberger," though, which is what I was referring to.

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh, yeah, I did kinda notice that, thought it might have been a web issue, I guess not!

bobafrett
02-06-2009, 09:12 PM
:p Having never heard Bobafrett's last name in person, I wasn't sure that sounded right but it seemed like it could be. What say you Barry? Or are you not watching all the news about your donation? ;)
Yes, I saw the news, I think they pronounced my name correctly, but then they had asked me to speak and spell out my name on tape before the interview began. My dad out to love it, as they took some of the craziest lines from the interview to put on air. I still can't get Josh's name pronounced the right way, maybe that's why I got let go from a job renewing magazine subscriptions over the phone.

See, you didn't need to tell us who you were quoting, ol TK-523. Maybe the news guy, but not us. :D

I wasn't sure if I got the line right was what I was trying to imply. Sometimes I get off a line or two in the wrong order. I used to know the Star Wars movie word for word, not so much in my older age.

Kidhuman
02-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Barry, I waited until you got back so this post wouldnt get lost in all of the time you were away. You are the F**King man plain and simple. You are very brave for what you did. I am glad both of you are doing ok. I knew that it was you from before but of course, didnt say anything because it wasnt my place to announce it. Gvie my best to Josh. Also make him give you some of his thousands of clones

DarthQuack
02-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Glad to see you're doing great Barry. They should erect a statue of you somewhere.

bobafrett
02-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Glad to see you're doing great Barry. They should erect a statue of you somewhere.

A statue would be a little large, how about just my own action figure, kinda like Captain Rex, but only a Stormtrooper instead of a clonetrooper! LOL. I ate a lot of those lunchable meals trying to win my chance to get myself made into an action figure.

JetsAndHeels
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Glad to hear you are doing ok Barry. With so much negative news out there today, stories like this are refreshing...whether you are a star wars fan like us or not.

SirSteve
02-07-2009, 11:06 AM
A statue would be a little large, how about just my own action figure, kinda like Captain Rex, but only a Stormtrooper instead of a clonetrooper! LOL. I ate a lot of those lunchable meals trying to win my chance to get myself made into an action figure.

Hmm.... let me work on this.... :)

bobafrett
02-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Hmm.... let me work on this.... :)

If you do, make sure I'm about 60 pounds lighter than I am now, and I need a pack in, a mouse droid for Josh aka Tycho to sniff! LOL! :thumbsup:

I paid a guy $100 to make a custom figure of me as a Stormtrooper, he took the muscular looking stormtrooper, and a Han Solo figure, added some hair to the top, and a custom card, it was pretty sweet.

Darth Jax
02-07-2009, 12:04 PM
just gotta let Hasbro know at toyfare or comic con and see what they can do. you'd think they'd want to get behind it. they've already got the stormtrooper body, just need to sculpt a new head for frett and it's all set.

TeeEye7
02-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Here! Here! Good for us....good for Hasbro! I'd buy a handful of TK-523 stormtroopers!

Can we start a petition to Hasbro, SirSteve?

bobafrett
02-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Here! Here! Good for us....good for Hasbro! I'd buy a handful of TK-523 stormtroopers!

Can we start a petition to Hasbro, SirSteve?

Great, then I could have my own clone army!!! LOL!

JetsAndHeels
02-07-2009, 02:50 PM

As would I!!

It would be cool if it happened.

pbarnard
02-07-2009, 05:21 PM
If you do, make sure I'm about 60 pounds lighter than I am now, and I need a pack in, a mouse droid for Josh aka Tycho to sniff! LOL! :thumbsup:

I paid a guy $100 to make a custom figure of me as a Stormtrooper, he took the muscular looking stormtrooper, and a Han Solo figure, added some hair to the top, and a custom card, it was pretty sweet.

$100??? I don't do card work, but that's a little much. Plus with a cast of the George Lucas Trooper head, we got you covered.

bobafrett
02-07-2009, 05:30 PM
$100??? I don't do card work, but that's a little much. Plus with a cast of the George Lucas Trooper head, we got you covered.

Ha Ha! I like it. Just not quite as much grey, though I notice more and more grey folicles on my head each and every day.

TeeEye7
02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
There's nothing wrong with having gray hair! :justgladi'vestillgothair: :yes:

pbarnard
02-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Ha Ha! I like it. Just not quite as much grey, though I notice more and more grey folicles on my head each and every day.

That's the recipe I'd use. Also, I'd equip it with a Marauder Inc 1/18 Modified Sterling Machine gun (and say SSG sent you). Sadly, I don't have any spare Lucas heads or those guns at the moment. Spare trooper bodies a plenty though.

There's nothing wrong with having gray hair! :justgladi'vestillgothair: :yes:

Pretty much my thoughts. I'd like it grey, just not falling out.

LTBasker
02-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Personally I think I would prefer a Tusken Raider version, but a Stormtrooper will do - especially with the Mouse Droid idea. I'd definitely buy a squad of either. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
02-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Personally I think I would prefer a Tusken Raider version, but a Stormtrooper will do - especially with the Mouse Droid idea. I'd definitely buy a squad of either. :D

How about a Tusken Raider grabbing the kidney out of a stormtrooper, holding it over his head and giving a Tusken battle cry. Meanwhile, the Emperor is petting a mouse droid while saying, "Everything is proceeding as I have forseen it.":twisted:

bobafrett
02-08-2009, 12:28 AM
How about a Tusken Raider grabbing the kidney out of a stormtrooper, holding it over his head and giving a Tusken battle cry. Meanwhile, the Emperor is petting a mouse droid while saying, "Everything is proceeding as I have forseen it.":twisted:

Dang I laughed so hard, my battle scars hurt!!! I think the last line got me, ouch! I thought laughter was the best medicine? lol:hurt:lol:hurt:lol:hurt:

Darth Cruel
02-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Dammit! See what happens when I am gone for long periods of time? Now we have people swapping kidneys?

Bobafrett....words are weak whaen it comes to describing an act like that.

Tycho...hope you are doing well, no not just well, I hope you are completely better, soon.

I like the action figure idea. But I think it should be a Sideshow 1:6 scale and the exclusive should be a removable kidney.

The 1:6 Scale Sideshow Tycho figure should come with the mouse droid.

Godspeed to you both!

sith_killer_99
02-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Darth is right, words fail man. What Bobafrett did was huge. You gave someone a chance at life.

Now it's up to T to finish the job and make it count. I have no doubt that he will do just that. I hope you recover soon T!

mabudonicus
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
(this is a joke that probably only KH would get)

Barry's figure should come with a commtech chip that plays a kinda tinny, warbly version of the Imperial march with a voice politely explaining he is not available at this time :D
Been a LONG time since I heard that

Blue2th
02-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Frett, aren't you suppose to get some blue stripes on your Stormtrooper armor for that?
At least move up in the ranks? :yes:

Phantom-like Menace
02-08-2009, 01:12 PM
If he were a clone trooper, I'd say some vaguely kidney-shaped jaig eyes.

JediTricks
02-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes, I saw the news, I think they pronounced my name correctly, but then they had asked me to speak and spell out my name on tape before the interview began. My dad out to love it, as they took some of the craziest lines from the interview to put on air. I still can't get Josh's name pronounced the right way, maybe that's why I got let go from a job renewing magazine subscriptions over the phone.Ok, so that explains why they got it right, they need you to treat them like a very small child. :p I figured they used the comments out of their original environment, it seemed like they got ya in editing. "Wise-el-berg" and yet I still say it "Weaselberg" from time to time because that's how it's spelled.

"Hello, can I speak to mister... Dearth Vidor please?" :D

I wasn't sure if I got the line right was what I was trying to imply. Sometimes I get off a line or two in the wrong order. I used to know the Star Wars movie word for word, not so much in my older age.Whenever someone geekloads at you saying it's not 100% perfect, tell them you're paraphrasing. ;)

A statue would be a little large, how about just my own action figure, kinda like Captain Rex, but only a Stormtrooper instead of a clonetrooper! LOL. I ate a lot of those lunchable meals trying to win my chance to get myself made into an action figure.Now that is an interesting idea. The mouse droid idea floated is awesome too, and in-context to both you guys and SW.

If nothing else, it might get a few more people to donate kidneys thinking they might get action figureized as well. ;)

How about a Tusken Raider grabbing the kidney out of a stormtrooper, holding it over his head and giving a Tusken battle cry. Meanwhile, the Emperor is petting a mouse droid while saying, "Everything is proceeding as I have forseen it.":twisted:I can picture it all, with the Tusken's donkey-yell getting cut off in mid-sentence to say "ow!". :D

Dammit! See what happens when I am gone for long periods of time? Now we have people swapping kidneys?I wonder if Tycho's gonna give him a positive feedback in the trading forum.

2-1B
02-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Probably not, since Frett has a reputation for overcharging on shipping and handling. lol

Rocketboy
02-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Plus, it wasn't really a trade.

bobafrett
02-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Dammit! See what happens when I am gone for long periods of time? Now we have people swapping kidneys?

Bobafrett....words are weak whaen it comes to describing an act like that.

Tycho...hope you are doing well, no not just well, I hope you are completely better, soon.

I like the action figure idea. But I think it should be a Sideshow 1:6 scale and the exclusive should be a removable kidney.

The 1:6 Scale Sideshow Tycho figure should come with the mouse droid.

Godspeed to you both!

No, if it were a sideshow, I couldn't afford it! Please I work on Wal-Mart wages

Darth is right, words fail man. What Bobafrett did was huge. You gave someone a chance at life.

Now it's up to T to finish the job and make it count. I have no doubt that he will do just that. I hope you recover soon T!

I told that young punk he'll have to slow down his driving, I almost pooped the kidney the first time I rode in his car with him back in October.

Barry's figure should come with a commtech chip that plays a kinda tinny, warbly version of the Imperial march with a voice politely explaining he is not available at this time :D

Just like in real life!

Frett, aren't you suppose to get some blue stripes on your Stormtrooper armor for that?
At least move up in the ranks? :yes:

Just a simple Stormtrooper with a mop and bucket for Death Star floor duty!

Probably not, since Frett has a reputation for overcharging on shipping and handling. lol

That's it, next time I do a trade with you, I'm TRIPLEing your shipping and handling charges!!!! Mostly because I laughed so hard when I read that I peed out of my remaining kidney!

DarkArtist
02-08-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm so happy that you're both doing great after the surgery. it's truly amazing.

sith_killer_99
02-08-2009, 06:08 PM
I told that young punk he'll have to slow down his driving, I almost pooped the kidney the first time I rode in his car with him back in October.

I guess that would have made the transplant easier on you....then again, maybe not.:D

Tycho
02-08-2009, 07:08 PM
I wanted my first post since I got back to be a "thank you to Barry (BobaFrett)" but "thank you" doesn't cover it.

I've actually been afraid to post and discussed this with Barry and JediTricks on the phone.

So there really is nothing I can post that will cut it, but "thank you" is a start.

Barry saved my life with his donating a kidney. If I were just going on living to only go to dialysis and back to sleep, with my distended stomach that made me nauseaus and maybe subject to go on living without a girl to love or hopes to be able to function normally and get back to work and life, I am not joking when I say I would have killed myself this year. I have about as many suicide plans as words in any of my long posts, and I even learned a few of them wouldn't work. There is life and there is quality of life.

Barry has made the possibility for the quality of my life turn around 180 degrees!

I do not feel perfect now, however, medical tests say my body is functioning just about as normally as everyone else's finally. My creatinine (protein waste in my blood) is at 1.7 at its last testing on Friday - everyone's normal point is 1.5 and I could be there or even better right now - I'll test again on Monday. Before transplant I think I was 8.6 while on dialysis, and I might have been as high as 15 or so without those treatments. The poison in my blood was actually making me lose the ability to walk because my legs hurt so much as this stuff collected in them and I remember once having to sit and rest twice, just to cross the parking lot from my doctor's office to get to the hospital when my baby cousin was born. That day I phoned Barry and spoke to him and his wife when I was crying outside the hospital because I was afraid I couldn't even step in without assistance. In maybe a couple of weeks I might be able to go jogging and now it will be an even longer time until they ever get me in a wheelchair (I even insisted on walking out of the hospital when I was discharged - and they normally wheel everyone out even if they come in for a hangnail ;) )

But when I first posted what was happening to me, and Barry responded that he'd like to help, as I told him, I took it with a grain of salt. "Yeah right." That's nice. Everyone can post something nice on the internet (but it's usually just the opposite case anyway). But I have best friends here, living by me, some are Star Wars fans and some are not, who knew me for 10 to up to 18 years now - and it would never have surprised me if they'd stepped in to donate. Funny how I know all of their blood types and my little brothers. But they were not going to work out. I'm a Type-O and can be a universal donor, but I am very limited on who I can receive from. I literally can list friends you won't know - and their blood types - but the real point here is that Barry is a Type-0 as well as a virtual stranger in many ways.

Barry and I "talked" here on the site for what's now going on over 10 years. He actually (I'll take the liberty to guess) thought my posts were funny (no comments from the rest of you please). But I never met him in person unlike the many of you who got to hang out with me at conventions and other trips and vacations around the country (Denver, Indianapolis, San Diego, etc.)
Then Barry came out in October for what was a false-start to this transplant business. They drew our blood and put it together under a microscope and my immune system attacked his blood. They couldn't do the surgery then afterall. I was devastated and so depressed. I began talking with a psychologist again (one who actually counseled me while I was at dialysis and actually saw what goes on in the medical situation there - and admitted I had a real reason to be depressed) and I invented a few new ways to kill myself. However I don't have the medical knowledge myself when it comes to knowing what to do with some options. (That's very fortunate in light of my transplant having actually happened now.)

But after everything, and not without his own challenges, Barry returned to California again, to finally make this happen. And you know, up until the day I picked him up at the airport February 1st (about 15 minutes after the Super Bowl concluded) I went on thinking "whatever" and tried to imagine what I was going to do if this got delayed again - by the airlines, the medical tests, anything - including whether Barry and his family thought they could really go through with it. But it really did happen.

I'll talk about the surgery in a minute, but when I was finally getting prepared for it and then woke up in what seemed like seconds after I lay down on the operating table, and a nurse told me I had a new kidney and it was already working, I was shocked. "When did this happen?" I wanted to know! I thought they'd mixed me up with another patient and that person already had their transplant. But as it dawned on me, I immediately thought about Barry and asked about how he was doing and thought about how thankful for him I will always be. But it really hit me right then.

I'll be right back. I have more to post.

bobafrett
02-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Josh, so good to see you back on the boards again! See guys, I told you we ccouldn't go without his long posts! Love you man, take good care of that kidney sir, for it is now yours by ownership. Yep, I had to sign it over to you, Ill miss it, but not too much as I never saw him, like a child who turns 18 and flees the nest never to return!

Tycho
02-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Well plan on a reunion tomorrow. Michelle (my very cute nurse - she looks like Summer Glau (Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles) is bringing me over to your hotel if that's OK with you and Robin.

I have to be at the hospital for blood testing and an appointment with Dr. Schaeffer and a few others (Doctor Vader?) and I'll probably be cut loose between 11 and noon.

I'm going to add to more to my post above right now though.

[Actually my post above seems solid, so I'll just start a new one. It'll help me fake it that I don't really write THAT much.]

bobafrett
02-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Give us a call. We will most likely be in all day. Our big trip today was to Church. I just read the entire story where I offered you my kidney, but you said "yeah, right" then I sat at home a cried, then I decided I would have Dr. Marsh forcibilly insert one of my kidneys into you, and like that's how it goes, the story I'm posting about how you got my kidney. (Best sounding if read like a canadian, ya hey there) (No offense to Mabs or other fine posters who live just North of our borders)

Tycho
02-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Hey, who said I was a fast, reckless driver? Well now I have to slow down, as I can't take the chance that "I won't live anyway."

But seriously, those signs that the cops tell me say "65 MPH" always looked like "95" in my rearview mirror when I saw them blow past me as I was rolling my SUV upside-down.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Holy crap! So good to see you back and fully functional, Josh!!!

Kidhuman
02-08-2009, 10:50 PM

HAHAHAHA!!!!

you are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor.......

TeeEye7
02-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Welcome back to the boards, Josh!

A big "well done" to you and all concerned! :thumbsup:

Mouse droids all around, bar keep! ;)

JON9000
02-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Josh, glad to see you back in action.

Barry, you are one of the most stand up dudes out there and certainly an inspiration to me, and I daresay I am not the only one here who feels that way. Every time I get down on my opinion of people in general or feel like I need a little more intestinal fortitude, I'm going to think of you.

What you did for Josh was beyond measure, but you've done a lot for all of us, too. Thanks, man.

You own, and I think your rank on these boards should be, well, whatever you darn well please. Maybe JT could hook that up.

bobafrett
02-09-2009, 12:34 AM
I'd say the Doctors are the heroes here. The surgeons and the staff are the heroes, I just layed on a table, then I was out for 8 1/2 hours, woke up, felt okay, then felt like crap, then started feeling okay again.

Without the staff who's skilled hands were able to remove an organ from me, and transplant it into Josh just blows me away. And to feel as good as I do now, well I feel ready to pull the ears of a gundark!

But Thank you just the same.

LTBasker
02-09-2009, 01:02 AM
I don't know... Obviously the doctors and whatnot were extremely important and are indeed heroes in their own right, but I truly admire your courage to go through with it. Granted, I've had my appendix out, but the thought of being operated on when not in agony or something along those lines... That ranks up there in my top worst fears.

Hell, even a needle is frightening to me.

Glad to see you back, Tycho! It hasn't really been the same with the lack of potentially finding a WTF/thought-provoking thread in the morning. :D

Slicker
02-09-2009, 01:04 AM
And now when you step on the scales you'll weigh one pound less! And with that fist sized organ gone you can eat that extra helping of food and have somewhere for it to fit. :thumbsup:

Phantom-like Menace
02-09-2009, 02:05 AM
It's nice to hear from the other half of this awesomeness. Yeah, it's nice to have you back, Tycho. We're all very glad to hear you're doing well, both of you.

Michelle (my very cute nurse - she looks like Summer Glau (Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles) is bringing me over to your hotel if that's OK with you and Robin.

Nice! So what's the game plan? Hit on her shamelessly and blame it on the meds? Reminds me of the fun I had with my favorite bartender and one too many drinks . . . okay, several too many drinks.

Lord Malakite
02-09-2009, 02:07 AM
And now when you step on the scales you'll weigh one pound less! And with that fist sized organ gone you can eat that extra helping of food and have somewhere for it to fit. :thumbsup:
And if someone ever shoots you and leaves you for dead in a mass grave on some mysterious island you'll be able to magically heal yourself after having a vision of Walt.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Well plan on a reunion tomorrow. Michelle (my very cute nurse - she looks like Summer Glau (Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles) is bringing me over to your hotel if that's OK with you and Robin.
What if she actually is a Terminator? I guess if when she picks you up and says, "get in the car if you want to live", then you will know.

Tycho
02-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Actually, when she gave me her personal number and talked of sharing the next Comic Con with me and introducing me to her brother (he's 29 and a Star Wars collector just like us) I thought that maybe she could be hitting on me (I hope anyway - I'd love to stay friends with her beyond my recovery). In any event, I'm glad she likes me as a friend at the least, and she will be my friend, too. She even met James and Darren - 2 of my collecting team, who came over to visit me today.

OH - I had Borssk Fey'lya, courtesy of HasbroToyShop before either of them! Haha. I had a kidney transplant and still beat them to new figures!

Then they entered without washing their hands. We have to keep my place pretty sterile. So I made James get out the 409 and clean my Homing Spider, BMF, C-3PO, and the AT-TE (for which he left the legs off of just to get me back!) but I know my friends care a lot about me and he wanted to make sure I stayed healthy and recovered well and as quickly as possible. But he moved like he was Billy Mays cleaning the BMF! It's now not just clean; it's 409-clean!

Slicker
02-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Barry, my stormtrooper armor just isn't working like it used to. Will you donate yours to me?

Kidhuman
02-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Welcome back Tyho. Good to see you up and about. I am glad all went well for you as well as Barry.

bobafrett
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Barry, my stormtrooper armor just isn't working like it used to. Will you donate yours to me?

I was around 175 pounds when I put my armor together for my first appereance back at CII, since then I've gained weight, wqeighing in at around 235 lbs before surgery. I have only worn my armor to the "Relay for Life" in the last year, because I don't fit into it quite as well as I used to.

I'm hoping to get back down around 170 lbs, by eating better. I've already cut out diet soda, though that for me will be a battle similar to that which ex smokers face. I've been drinking more water, eating smaller portions, and eating slower. Once I get the restrictions lifted, I will be able to go back to lifting weights. Right now I'm not supposed to lift more then 5 or 15 lbs depending which of my doctors you ask.

Rocketboy
02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Right now I'm not supposed to lift more then 5 or 15 lbs depending which of my doctors you ask.Now you can use the old excuse of "Honey, I can't lift anything heavy and I have to go to the bathroom, will you give me a hand?"

:thumbsup:

mtriv73
02-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I guess the good news is you already lost about 3 pounds the other day. You're off to a good start already.:thumbsup:

sith_killer_99
02-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Now you can use the old excuse of "Honey, I can't lift anything heavy and I have to go to the bathroom, will you give me a hand?"

Funny, that's exactly what he told Slicker's mom the other night.:laugh:

dindae
02-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Just wanted add my best wishes to Tycho and praise for Bobafrett. To put yourself at risk to give to someone is truly selfless act and to make that gesture to someone you have only talked to on the boards speaks that much more of your character. A speedy recovery to you both.

sebillba
02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
A warm welcome back to Tycho and Bobafrett - it's great to see you both doing so well already, and back to posting. Your story has been a real inspiration to all of us, and it was so cool to watch that Fox News clip.

bobafrett
02-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I just met with Tycho and his nurse here at the hotel. We discussed how freaking well Josh is doing. His Creatine (sp?) levels are now down to 1.3, average is 1.5. I'm glad to hear and see how much better he looks and feels. I took a picture with Josh, my wife, and Josh's nurse, but I won't be able to post it until I get home, as the computers here at the hotel don't have places to download media on.

Darth Jax
02-09-2009, 07:32 PM
how much longer you in sunny SoCal before you head back to the heartland?

bobafrett
02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
how much longer you in sunny SoCal before you head back to the heartland?

We leave here on Thursday. But it ain't so sunny, it's been mostly cloudy and raining on/off most of the day. I have follow ups with my surgeon as well as a couple of labs to make sure everything is going well on Wednesday.

Tycho
02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey everyone. Barry, it was really good to see you today!

Hey, since we took our picture in Bears and Chargers gear, does that make it The Kidney Bowl? (I'd like to use that picture myself when you get it posted if that's alright?)

bobafrett
02-10-2009, 12:46 AM
That would be fine, just won't have it up until I get back home just over a week from today.

TeeEye7
02-10-2009, 05:00 AM
I'm sorry Barry is experiencing a bunch of winter rain instead of SoCal's famous sunshine during his stay. This is our rainy time of year and we really need it! We had snow on the valley floor yesterday here in the great San Joaquin! A real treat for us! Boring stuff for Chicagoans, I know, but out of the ordinary for us! Cold and icy! We don't know how to handle it!

Tycho
02-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Well when I first picked Barry and his wife up, we were still having our January summer, so they got 1 or 2 days before the surgery where the weather was just sunny and beautiful!

Slicker
02-10-2009, 08:04 AM
He should've visited in August. I don't think there was a bad day in the 2 weeks that I was there.

bobafrett
02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
They say today should be rain free. I need to get out and walk around outside. I see the same hallways everyday.

pbarnard
02-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Hmmm, came to donate a kidney, went insane and had to stay in San Diego indefinitely. You sir an evil genius with compassion for the human condition!

bobafrett
02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Hmmm, came to donate a kidney, went insane and had to stay in San Diego indefinitely. You sir an evil genius with compassion for the human condition!

Hmmmm, I wonder if the Eagles could re write Hotel California?

Hotel California lyrics

On a dark San Diego highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of hospital food, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I arrived on a late night flight
There Josh stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
In just a couple of days I could feel like Hell'
Then he drove me to the car rental place and he showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard the nurses say...

Welcome to the Hospital California
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hospital California
Any time of year, you can find it here

His mind is Tiffany-twisted, he got the Jeep Cheorokee
he got a lot of pretty, pretty Star Wars toys, that he calls friends
How they fly in the Falcon, sweet summer sweat.
Some Fly to remember, some fly to forget

So I called up the surgeon,
'Please bring me my gown'
He said, 'We haven't had that type of wear here since nineteen sixty nine'
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the Hospital California
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
They livin' it up at the Hospital California
What a nice surprise, bring your wife on by

I.V.'s on the ceiling,
The nothing to eat but ice
And he said 'We are all just patients here, making our own sacrfice'
And in the doctor's chambers,
They gathered for the surgery
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill my kidneys

Last thing I remember, I was
wheeled out the door
I had to find the plane ride back
To the Elmhurst, Illinois
'Relax,' said the night nurse,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave!

Okay, see if you can do better!

JetsAndHeels
02-10-2009, 11:40 AM
LoL, that is great Bobafrett!!

It is great that you both are doing well. We look forward to seeing that pic.

pbarnard
02-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder if the Eagles could re write Hotel California?

Okay, see if you can do better!

Just add the accordian and do it like a polka and you got a Weird Al tune right there. :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Ha, awesome! That might fit the Microsoft Songsmith version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itsT9zgWRoM)! :D

bobafrett
02-10-2009, 11:11 PM
I met Jedi Tricks tonight, very nice person. He took me and my wife out for dinner as a way to thank us for helping Josh. He insisted on paying for the meal, and I would like to thank him for that. It was very delicious, plus it gave us more time to talk.

I was looking for the thread "Who have you met from SSG" or something like that.

Phantom-like Menace
02-11-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm really going to have to make SDCC some year. I've always wanted to meet our San Diego constituency. JT and Tycho seem pretty cool just going by the boards.

Slicker
02-11-2009, 02:12 AM
I met Jedi Tricks tonight, very nice person. He took me and my wife out for dinner as a way to thank us for helping Josh. He insisted on paying for the meal, and I would like to thank him for that. It was very delicious, plus it gave us more time to talk.Definitely nice of JT to do all of that.

BTW, here's your thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=26896&page=9)about knowing forum members. :thumbsup:

Tycho
02-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Barry, I loved those song lyrics. They made me laugh out loud so that my incision ached!

JT, thanks for treating Barry and his wife so well last night. That was very kind of you.

I'd like to report that I finally slept - even if it was only from about 1:30am to 4:30am - but 3 hours is something compared with many other nights since the surgery.

I may relax and dose off some more in a little while as soon as it's time for me to take more Oxycontins. :crazed:

Sorry I'm not making any loopy posts while on heavy drugs. I think heavy pain keeps one's reality in check.

pbarnard
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Sorry I'm not making any loopy posts while on heavy drugs. I think heavy pain keeps one's reality in check.

Wait, you weren't before? Just post on the pain. The drugs have to let you create some pretty wild similies and methapors/analogies.

Glad to hear you slept.

JEDIpartner
02-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm just glad that you've made it through the surgery and are on your way back to being your weird old self!! I copied and pasted the SSG article about the whole sordid thing ;) into an e-mail and sent it on to everyone I know who knew about your dilemma.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! :love:

bobafrett
02-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Definitely nice of JT to do all of that.

BTW, here's your thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=26896&page=9)about knowing forum members. :thumbsup:

Thank you slicker! I smacked your momma on the rear on her way out, and told her what a fine boy she raised! But thank you again, the real you.

Barry, I loved those song lyrics. They made me laugh out loud so that my incision ached!
Glad you liked them. I have read many comments on here that have left my stitches, or is that "left me in stitches"? I feel your pain, no litereally, you and I got cut in just about the same place

JT, thanks for treating Barry and his wife so well last night. That was very kind of you.
Thank you again JT, very nice gesture!

I'd like to report that I finally slept - even if it was only from about 1:30am to 4:30am - but 3 hours is something compared with many other nights since the surgery.

I may relax and dose off some more in a little while as soon as it's time for me to take more Oxycontins. :crazed:

Good to hear you got some sleep Josh, I know you looked alittle worn down when you visited yesterday.

WHAT? With the 17 or so drugs they have you on, your a virtual drugstore of loopy posts!

I'm just glad that you've made it through the surgery and are on your way back to being your weird old self!! I copied and pasted the SSG article about the whole sordid thing ;) into an e-mail and sent it on to everyone I know who knew about your dilemma.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! :love:

Thank you JP! The more people who know about this the better. I know 3 other people in my life who all are in need of a kidney. If I had any more to give, I would, but I think I need the one I have left to go on functioning.

And of course we rock! We rock your party down, Hoooooooo Yaaaaaaaa!!!!

JediTricks
02-12-2009, 03:13 AM
I met Jedi Tricks tonight, very nice person.ALL LIES! I AM NOT A PERSON! ;)

He took me and my wife out for dinner as a way to thank us for helping Josh. He insisted on paying for the meal, and I would like to thank him for that. It was very delicious, plus it gave us more time to talk.It was absolutely fantastic meeting you and your wife, and a real pleasure hanging out with you. You're more than welcome for dinner (and the driving to and from the restaurant, scary though it may have been :eek: :p). I wish I could have made a larger gesture of gratitude to represent how all of us at SSG feel about you making such an amazingly generous donation, although your incredibly grounded humility probably couldn't take all that gushing anyway. :D Let me tell you though, it was a totally worth the 2 hours driving down from LA, even the 2 hours back in the middle of the night, just to shake your hand and talk with ya.

I'm really going to have to make SDCC some year. I've always wanted to meet our San Diego constituency.Yeah, SDCC is pretty rad, you can definitely geek-out like a fiend and SW is always representing, since 1976!

JT and Tycho seem pretty cool just going by the boards.You haven't been paying much attention, eh? ;)

JT, thanks for treating Barry and his wife so well last night. That was very kind of you.Trust me, it wasn't a fraction of what they deserve, and as I just said above, it was a pleasure meeting them. I was glad I was able to make the time to drive down there and check up on you, hang out with you and them, take them to dinner, then hang out with you a little after and show you how to play Wii Clone Wars and LEGO Star Wars. Keep getting better.

I'm still stunned at how incredibly lost your nurse and you got heading to Barry's hotel though, I mean, I came back from there and it's literally 1 minute and 2 right turns from the offramp you guys had me follow you to :p yet we spent, what, 10 minutes going the wrong ways? lol

I'd like to report that I finally slept - even if it was only from about 1:30am to 4:30am - but 3 hours is something compared with many other nights since the surgery.You need to keep working on that, you looked really rough last night when I got back from dropping them off at their hotel, I was a bit worried about you for a moment.

Barry and Josh, keep healing up, get better fast, both of you. And Barry, hope you and your wife's trip home is a smooth one.

bobafrett
02-12-2009, 11:04 AM
I saw Josh for the last time last night, being the Star Wars geek that he is, like we all are, he brought over a box of newly aquired figures that he had got from Hasbro earlier in the day. Today he has follow up appointments at the hospital, so I won't see him before my plane leaves. I will be in Texas for the next couple of days, visiting relatives. I'm not sure what type of internet connection they have, if any. So if you don't hear from me assume that I have been abducted by aliens.

pbarnard
02-12-2009, 12:15 PM
So if you don't hear from me assume that I have been abducted by aliens.

ICE and the FBI so informed:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey Barry, I just saw this on yodasnews.com:

If anyone knows an email address for Barry Benecke II or if Barry is reading this, please email us and let us know your contact info. We would like to send him a little something for your brave donation to a fellow collector and Star Wars fan.

You might want to get into contact with them. I don't know your e-mail address so I couldn't just give it to them.

bobafrett
02-12-2009, 03:04 PM

You might want to get into contact with them. I don't know your e-mail address so I couldn't just give it to them.

Thanks, I dropped them an e-mail with my e-mail link in it. We fly out of San Diego in a few hours. I hate flying.

Kidhuman
02-12-2009, 07:14 PM
BArry, did you snap a pic of JT? If so, PM me.

Tycho
02-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I had another follow-up today as Barry mentioned, and I am doing great with my new kidney.

I've marveled to many people now that is the best gift I have ever gotten!

Barry, I don't think there will EVER be a day gone by that I don't remember you for what you've made possible for me.

You guys have to realize how incredible this whole thing is:

1) I am blood Type-O and may be able to be almost a univeral donor, but I can only receive Type-O donations in general.

2) I survived an aneurysm bleeding out into my brain which is fatal 90% of the time.

3) Barry, almost a stranger except for my socializing with him ONLINE here at SSG, made the offer to help save me. As a Type-O himself, I considered he might be qualified, but I didn't think he knew how serious the surgery was, the preparation for it was, or if he understood how painful it would be, and how it might limit him in the short term because of his sacrafice. My small family doesn't have a qualified donor, but I'm fortunate to have a slightly large pool of longterm friends that includes some I go back with 18 to 21 years. But they either tested and were disqualified, or they were the wrong blood type to begin with. Prior to this, I thought that a good friend who's known me for so long could almost be expected to step up. But Barry certainly had no such obligation. I admit that I certainly had my doubts and it contributed a lot to how hopeless I felt.

4) Barry and his family made a lot of sacrafices for him to test and qualify to be my donor, and whereas I had never met him or known him that well, he proved he was reliable and that he intended to go through with this in spite of the many obstacles that came up to challenge both of us.

5) Barry still could have been disqualified by all the tests we did - and we had a false-start with this business in October and yet he returned to California to go through with it last week. It's just absolutely amazing!!!

So to recap: I needed a volunteer, someone who was almost a stranger proved himself to be this reliable, then he had to be proved medically qualified by independent professionals, and Barry finally had to make the decision to go through with it. Oh: and of course - in the end it actually worked and I am healthy and likely to live a much longer, happier life as a result!

There is so much involved with those events in the paragraph above that it had to be entrusted to fate - and one way to describe the outcome is a miracle.

I mean I'm still a person who believes in doing all that I can to help myself, and I did, but what could I actually do about the series of events above except keep trying to find some other donor and try not to give up if everything did not work out as it had. I won't lie and say this transplant was ever "a cinch," it was very painful and the hardest struggle of my life, but I can say that Barry made it that much easier. I'm forever in his debt for that and more grateful than is possible to express with some internet post.

Val Da Car
02-13-2009, 01:19 AM
My wife and I met Barry at the Chicago Comic Con very briefly (must have been 2004)

In that short time I completely understand what and how he would donate a part of himself to keep someone else whole.

Barry Thank you

I can't wait to tell my wife what you did.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tycho, ages ago you answered a question for me (finance related) and I am glad I did.

Glad to have had contact with both you two physically and virtually.

VDC

Phantom-like Menace
02-13-2009, 02:31 AM
You haven't been paying much attention, eh? ;)

I'll admit I have a guy who reads the site and makes CliffsNotes for me . . . only his name is Joe, so they're JoesNotes. It's possible he has a mancrush on one or both of you, so I get my impression of you through his rose-colored glasses.;)

LTBasker
02-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm forever in his debt for that and more grateful than is possible to express with some internet post.

You could always make it your next book, that would definitely be expressive. :D

bobafrett
02-13-2009, 04:30 PM

I e-mailed the guy from there yesterday, but still haven't heard back from him.

No sir, I would have liked to have, but I think I was so nervous about metting him, and I missed the chance.

Barry, I don't think there will EVER be a day gone by that I don't remember you for what you've made possible for me.

Thank you Josh, you also made this possible by covering my flights and setting us up at a really nice hotel, I wouldn't have been able to do this for you without it, I mean I work at Wal-Mart.

My wife and I met Barry at the Chicago Comic Con very briefly (must have been 2004)

In that short time I completely understand what and how he would donate a part of himself to keep someone else whole.

Barry Thank you

I can't wait to tell my wife what you did.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tycho, ages ago you answered a question for me (finance related) and I am glad I did.

Glad to have had contact with both you two physically and virtually.

VDC

Thank you Val Da Car, so that was you that I met at Wizard World then in the parking garage, I always think it was Caesar, but had some doubt in my mind as to the name of that brief encounter. Must remember Val Da Car!

figrin bran
02-14-2009, 02:29 AM

Hmm, is there a bounty for JT's photo? I'll make sure to take one next time I see him at our local Target or TRU.

Rocketboy
02-14-2009, 09:50 AM
I hear he can't be photographed. When you look at the pictures his face is all blurry.

LTBasker
02-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Some say he sleeps inside-out...
Some say after eating printing ink, he obtains the ability to fly...
Some say that if he caught fire, he would burn for a thousand days...
Some say that he only knows two facts about ducks and they're both wrong...

All we know is... He's called the Stig.

Oh, wrong mysterious character - nevermind.

JediTricks
02-14-2009, 05:25 PM
BArry, did you snap a pic of JT? If so, PM me.What are you talking about? There's already a pic of me on the forums: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=630639#post630639

I'll admit I have a guy who reads the site and makes CliffsNotes for me . . . only his name is Joe, so they're JoesNotes. It's possible he has a mancrush on one or both of you, so I get my impression of you through his rose-colored glasses.;)
Ugh, not another mancrush from a guy who reads the forums for another guy, I'm getting sick of these things happening to me. Same ol' story.

:p

I e-mailed the guy from there yesterday, but still haven't heard back from him.LMK if you need me to contact them to corroborate.

Thank you Josh, you also made this possible by covering my flights and setting us up at a really nice hotel, I wouldn't have been able to do this for you without it, I mean I work at Wal-Mart.Who else would thank someone for letting them rip an organ out of their bodies to give to that person??? :thumbsup:

I hear he can't be photographed. When you look at the pictures his face is all blurry.You're thinking of Silver Age Superman, which explained why nobody recognized photos of him and Clark Kent (totally true!).

Some say he sleeps inside-out...
Some say after eating printing ink, he obtains the ability to fly...
Some say that if he caught fire, he would burn for a thousand days...
Some say that he only knows two facts about ducks and they're both wrong...

All we know is... He's called the Stig.

Oh, wrong mysterious character - nevermind.Oh man, that'd be awesome if I were the Stig! The Stig gets to drive all the hottest cars at high speed around the Top Gear track! I wish I had the opportunity to hone my driving skills to those levels. Ask Barry, I drove his rental car like crap when we went to dinner. :p

bobafrett
02-14-2009, 06:09 PM
LMK if you need me to contact them to corroborate.

Nope, found their reply in my spam box. Replied back to them.

Ask Barry, I drove his rental car like crap when we went to dinner. :p

Yes, I can attest to that! But JT, hasn't been in a car with me driving it!

JediTricks
02-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Cool, that's really nice of them.

I think I'm gonna blame the Versa for my driving the next time I tell the tale. ;)

bobafrett
02-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Okay folks here are some pictures from my most recent adventure:

Picture #1 Me shortly after being hooked up to an I.V. the morning of surgery

Picture #2 Me in bed after the surgery, the day of surgery

Picture #3 Me and my wife, who took care of me when I really needed it

Picture #4 Me with breathing tubes giving me oxygen

Picture #5 Me on Thursday finally being able to sit up and eat something besides ice chips.

bobafrett
02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
More from my surgery donation:

Picture #1 Me by my hospital window, you can see the golf course and beyond it the ocean

Picture #2 Me and my surgeon, Dr. Shaffer

Picture #3 Me and my three holes that they stuck a camera in, as well as tools to assist in the removal of my left kidney

Picture #4 Me and the large cut under my belly that they removed my kidney through

Picture #5 Josh's nurse Michelle (sp?), Josh aka Tycho, Me aka Bobafrett, and my nurse and lovely wife, Robin.

Slicker
02-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Awesome pictures Barry!

Is that Tycho's future wife in that picture? :p

Tycho
02-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Maybe: I'm falling for my nurse. She's really cute isn't she? We're together all the time and have made plans for some fun trips after my recovery, including Comic Con where there's no doubt some of you might meet her.

Thanks for sharing your pics Barry. Geeze that was a big cut. I thought your incision would be smaller than mine, but they're about the same. Mine still hurts too - and I have metal staples holding mine together while it heals.

I still can't thank you enough for what you went through for me!

By your posting your pics, I trust you are back home safe in Chicago now? I tried to phone but got your voicemail.

I hope your stop-over in Texas went well. On the news they showed the UFO that flew by there. I'm glad they didn't get you and kidnap you, taking you to another planet against your will. (I'm sure they'd experiment on you and try to find out what makes Chicago Cubs fans tick!) It looked like that fireball crashed and burned. But I know what it might have been. You saw Michael Bay's Transformers, didn't you? This might mean Optimus Prime's in Texas right now! ;) I can only hope.

Let's see: I got a kidney transplant and then learned that the Transformers are real. I think my drugs are working!

I'll try to put our group picture up in the Post-A-Picture-of-Yourself thread. You can too of course. We'll hit everyone with a double-whammy of US.

But I'm glad everyone will see what you were willing to go through for me. It still is amazing that all of this actually happened and you would save my life this way. I'm forever in your debt!