PDA

View Full Version : Is the internet destroying the art of conversation?

scruffziller
09-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Anytime I want to learn some information, I would rather hear it from the voice of a person, than from the internet. Don't get me wrong, I love that the internet is full of instant information at my fingertips. But it seems that many times because I can look up the information, it takes away from the art of conversation. And in some cases, people get upset wondering why you did not check the internet first. Granted, it is great to prove people wrong on the idiotic urban legends they swear by.
But over the years a little bit(or a lot) of embellishment of facts, stories, and figures has added to the richness of life. The internet has seemed to take a little bit of that happiness away. But, it has added a good deal of other happiness. But I am having a hard time telling which one is/was better. Like my friend Derek "The Duke" Hoch wrote on his Myspace profile of the people he wants to hang with, "anybody who loves to drink beer and tell stories(fact or fiction doesn't matter)."

pbarnard
09-18-2008, 09:17 PM
No. Next question please.

scruffziller
09-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Explain your "no."

El Chuxter
09-18-2008, 10:19 PM
LOL totally like it is for morans and retrads, BURRRRRRRN!!!!!!

lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2008, 10:27 PM
You are, such a hoemo haha lol

Blue2th
09-19-2008, 12:16 AM
I don't mind hearing news from someone's mouth, but the problem is all the embellishments. It's a good thing we can check these stories on the internet. But yeah a good bull-sh*t story is fun if you know what it is.

I don't think people check the facts, but rather believe the things they hear, whether it be downright blatant lies, or distortion of the truth. It is after all an election year.

I think that also people would rather converse on the internet because of anonymity. They don't get put down for having outlandish opinions in front of others.

I find having deep conversations with people in person sometimes difficult, because they just don't want to go beyond small talk. Maybe it's because they have their deep conversations on the internet.

Thank God for the internet, but yeah it might be destroying the art of conversation on the other hand.

scruffziller
09-19-2008, 12:54 AM
It's kind of like the society in Star Trek: Insurrection.
"When you create the machine for the man, you take away something from the man."

Which I have always interpreted as being a "anti-Borg" stance on ST part.

That is a whole other thread/blog (if I ever get it finished).

Phantom-like Menace
09-19-2008, 01:23 AM

My sense of humor makes me want to say the lack of conversation here is meant to be an affirmative answer to the thread's question.

scruffziller
09-19-2008, 03:11 AM
My sense of humor makes me want to say the lack of conversation here is meant to be an affirmative answer to the thread's question.

Then I should ask another question. How is the internet destroying conversation for me?..........oh crap.............lol I got it.:D

*I wrote this out in real time, not using my backspace key to correct a mistake. See what I am doing here. Fight the machine!!!!!*

Kidhuman
09-19-2008, 06:18 AM
Say wha????????

Jaff
09-19-2008, 07:54 AM
The answer to the thread's main question imo is emphatically yes.

People live on their cell phones, and the internet, and having human faces to communicate to is a lost art.

Darth Jax
09-19-2008, 07:55 AM
he's complaining about the lack of personal communication and people turning to the internet for information and answers to their questions. and where does scruff go to discuss his question, rather than having a conversation with his friends, he posts the question on the internet.

Qui-Long Gone
09-19-2008, 04:07 PM
he's complaining about the lack of personal communication and people turning to the internet for information and answers to their questions. and where does scruff go to discuss his question, rather than having a conversation with his friends, he posts the question on the internet.

The irony doesn't make it less true....or to put it another way, just because it's a theme song don't make it not true!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-21-2008, 09:57 PM
The internets is srz bisness.

scruffziller
09-22-2008, 06:45 PM
where does scruff go to discuss his question, rather than having a conversation with his friends, he posts the question on the internet.

True that is the irony. But the exception is that I consider you guys friends. I have met some of you. I know you are real people on the other side of the words of this forum. So in some ways the internet helps to enhance some conversation. Just through text, some emotional inflection is lost; minus emoticons.

So my question is not for a yes or no answer but I am asking if and how it is happening for you. So I guess people who don't feel or understand it this way, don't need to post here.

Neuroleptic
09-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I'd have to say yes. For an example, I'll roll with cell phones. People are so obsessed with using there cell phones that they use them at work, while driving, and while eating dinner with someone. Sometimes BOTH people are on a cell phone all through the meal. It's like . . . why bother even eating out?

Part of me wonders if lack of humanity in modern conversation practices is what has lead to people being more concerned with the latest Ipod than the fact that, for example, the IAEA announced this morning that it is more than likely based off of the information that the Iranians are not showing them, that they truly are trying to develop a nuke.

I don't bring it up to start a political debate but . . .

It was replaced on my homepage with a 'news article' about new hand bags that are coming out. To my knowledge, the previously mentioned article was only up for . . . maybe half a day.

I'm also old enough to remember when the net wasn't around, but young enough to where that's far in the distant past for me. I have had an internet connection in the house since I was 13. Over half my life.

scruffziller
09-23-2008, 11:23 AM
I guess what inspired me to write this was a few times my brother was upset at me that I called him to ask him a question about how bluetooth (and other things) worked. Instead of looking on the internet(which I could have done) I "wanted" to talk to him about it and have fun doing it. He might have been busy (he wouldn't normally snap at me like this), but he didn't say that he was. He just told me how that I could look it up on the internet. So I was upset with that.:(

Jargo
09-28-2008, 07:13 PM

jjreason
09-28-2008, 07:25 PM
The internet does allow for a lot more inflammatory comments and personal attacks than real-life does. If half the douches that lip off on the net even so much as dared to act like that outside the house, they'd wind up in the emergency room.

My vote is yes, but mainly the civility part.

Qui-Long Gone
10-01-2008, 03:37 PM
The civility part nails it for me. The internet probably has destroyed the art of conversation the way the phone did, the way Hallmark cards did, the way cell phones did....etc.

Technologies change, but the only constant is stupid humans! :yes:

scruffziller
10-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Technologies change, but the only constant is stupid humans! :yes:

Aint dat da troof!!!

Preach it brother!!!!! TESTIFY!!!!:thumbsup:

JediTricks
10-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Do you know how much time and effort it took Aaron Burr to tell Alexander Hamilton "you suck" back in 1803? At least 3 letters, 2 dinner parties, 7 editorials in newspapers he owned or was secretly affiliated with, and finally a pistol duel that ended in murder!

Qui-Long Gone
10-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Do you know how much time and effort it took Aaron Burr to tell Alexander Hamilton "you suck" back in 1803? At least 3 letters, 2 dinner parties, 7 editorials in newspapers he owned or was secretly affiliated with, and finally a pistol duel that ended in murder!

Is a duel really murder? I guess one where only one guy had a gun, no one counted, and it was under the cloak of night.

Burr had a good point, Hamilton did suck! ;)

Darth Jax
10-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Burr had a good point, Hamilton did suck! ;)

he still made it onto the $20. burr's just a side-note in history books.

JediTricks
10-09-2008, 05:25 AM
Is a duel really murder? I guess one where only one guy had a gun, no one counted, and it was under the cloak of night.Yes, a duel is murder when someone dies. It's illegal, the claim of self-defense is lost when both parties are intending to kill the other first and foremost. Burr was even indicted for murder in 2 states (though ultimately acquitted due to rather crappy lawyering back in the day).

Burr had a good point, Hamilton did suck! ;)Burr was a crappy choice for governor!

burr's just a side-note in history books.And the punchline to a milk commercial.

Blue2th
10-09-2008, 12:17 PM
That was funny. Try to say "Aaron Burr" with a peanut butter sandwich in your mouth and no milk. I think that's where some of us found out about him. :rolleyes:

Qui-Long Gone
10-09-2008, 02:52 PM
he still made it onto the $20. burr's just a side-note in history books.

DJ, by Hamilton I assume you mean JACKSON! ;)

Darth Jax
10-09-2008, 07:45 PM
so maybe hamilton's on the $10 - his mug is on one of them. i so rarely see paper money, since i always use plastic.

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 01:36 AM
DJ, by Hamilton I assume you mean JACKSON! ;)Right, $10 bill, the one nobody wants. :p The guy is the first sec't of the treasury and all he gets is the tenspot, lamest bill of all. $1? Everybody has to have these. $2? Unusual. $5? Pretty common, very useful. $20? Favorite lower-denomination bill. $50? Sucky bill but at least then you got fifty bucks!