PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Hasbro Transformers

JediTricks
09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Hasbro is doing a bi-monthly Q&A for their Transformers brand, so since we have a decent TF group around here, I figured we'd jump into that.

* - Keep in mind that the Crossovers brands - Star Wars and Marvel - are not handled directly by the TF team, so while they'll be considered, it's not going to be the main focus.

* - Also, Hasbro suggests not asking questions about the '09 movie right now as they're not answering any at this time.

I'm not sure what to expect from this program yet, so for this round, just post your questions here and I'll choose the ones that we'll send in. You can also throw weight behind any others you choose.

El Chuxter
09-22-2008, 12:01 AM
I'd like to see the question posed (even if it's for the 90th time) about re-releasing Thrust, Dirge, and Thundercracker, even if as online exclusives and/or with minor paint changes, especially in light of the upcoming Starscream repaint.

Sunstorm might be another good Seeker to ask about.

bigbarada
09-22-2008, 12:33 AM
My only question would be are we ever going to see Bumblebee in his true form as a Volkswagon Beetle? Is there some kind of licensing problem with VW that doesn't allow them to use the design?

Seeing him as that little Japanese car or as a Camaro just doesn't seem true to the character.

El Chuxter
09-22-2008, 01:24 AM
From what I understand, the German people don't like the idea of any recognizably German product transforming into a warrior. Or at least that's what the Volkswagen company thinks. (There's obviously no problem with Megatron turning into a German handgun.)

Of course, I'm not sure why that would preclude Bumblebee transforming into any of the dozen or so other foreign cars that look exactly like Beetles....

bigbarada
09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
From what I understand, the German people don't like the idea of any recognizably German product transforming into a warrior. Or at least that's what the Volkswagen company thinks. (There's obviously no problem with Megatron turning into a German handgun.)

Of course, I'm not sure why that would preclude Bumblebee transforming into any of the dozen or so other foreign cars that look exactly like Beetles....

If that's what it is, then that's extremely lame.

As for the Walther P-38, it's probably because those pistols aren't manufactured anymore. Besides, Megatron hasn't been a gun for a very long time, which is another problem I have with the modern incarnations of the G1 Transformers.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-22-2008, 05:41 PM
If that's what it is, then that's extremely lame.
I don't know about you, but the combination of Germany and warriors usually doesn't instill me with warm, fuzzy thoughts. :D

El Chuxter
09-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Here's a possible wording for my Seekers question:

"Although we realize that Hasbro and the Transformers Collectors Club would like to keep the BotCon exclusives as unique as possible, the demand for the remaining three 'Seeker' Decepticons (Thrust, Dirge, and Thundercracker) is enormous. An upcoming Starscream figure looks to be a repaint of the Classics figure from two years ago in a more cartoon-accurate paint scheme. Since these other three Seekers had minor color differences in their various incarnations, could it be possible that they could see a wider release in altered versions that could not easily be mistaken for the BotCon versions (especially since Thrust and Dirge also required new wings which are, so far, unique to these releases)?

And while we're on the subject of repainted Seekers, can we expect a Sunstorm in the future as well?"

Adam
09-23-2008, 12:02 AM
That damn rerelease of Starscream SHOULD be Sunstorm or a repaint of the botcon seekers!!

Adam
09-27-2008, 01:04 AM
Q: Will the Universe and Animated lines continue along side new movie product for 2009? If not, are there plans for them to return towards the end the movie lines run?

crazydave75
10-02-2008, 04:22 PM
when they gonna make a new version of kup?

JediTricks
10-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Q: Will the Universe and Animated lines continue along side new movie product for 2009? If not, are there plans for them to return towards the end the movie lines run?
Nice, very likely I'll be asking that one.

Keep 'em coming gang, I'll pick 5 and send 'em off at the end of the weekend.

El Chuxter
10-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Another idea, which struck me today as I looked fruitlessly in a sea of Octanes Tankors for Sideswipe and Ironhide:

"In the Classics and Universe Classics line, we've gotten updated versions of Astrotrain and Octane (under the new name, Tankor). Any chance of seeing the third Decepticon Triple-Changer, Blitzwing, soon? The set seems a little incomplete at the moment."

And, one that came to me as I wrote that:

"On the filecard for the Classics Grimlock, his function is listed as Dinobot Commander. Since his card specifically mentions his role in charge of a group called 'Dinobots,' how about some of these 'Dinobots' for him to command? Off the top of my head, I can come up with very good ideas for names (all of which start with an 'S' for some reason) and alt-modes for four of these hypothetical 'Dinobots.'"

JediTricks
10-06-2008, 04:21 AM
We just got Blitzwing in the Animated line, which doesn't have Octane or Astrotrain. But, I guess if I put in "classics-style" it should work.

More classics Dinobots, seems like a good question to have. I'll go through what we have here and decide which 5 are getting sent in.

On the Kup question, I just don't see a specific justification in the question, there's plenty of figures that could be said about. I'm going to hold off this round just so we can ask the question the right way next time.

Adam
10-07-2008, 01:16 PM
"In the Classics and Universe Classics line, we've gotten updated versions of Astrotrain and Octane (under the new name, Tankor). Any chance of seeing the third Decepticon Triple-Changer, Blitzwing, soon? The set seems a little incomplete at the moment."

Autobot triple changers need some love too! Springer! Broadside!.. ugh that other one I can't remember! Yeah! Sandstorm!

El Chuxter
10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
They probably won't make a proper Springer soon, since there's that repaint something-or-other being released in the 2-pack War Within set soon. :(

JediTricks
10-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Q&A ahoy! The answers are in and posted:
http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=21&p2_articleid=2471

Great job gang, looks like we're off to a spectacular start.

El Chuxter
10-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Forgive my cynicism, but are the guys in charge of answering the same as the guys answering the SW questions? I know there's some overlap, but I'm not sure how much. These answers just seem so... candid. :)

Great news on Thrust and Dirge, in particular.

Here's three more I'll propose, and feel free to re-word the second (or the others, but the second one is rougher), if necessary:

1) The upcoming Universe Hound figure comes with a resculpt of Ravage that looks amazing from the advance photos we've seen. Since this is one of the classic cassettes out of the way in this line, we've gotta know--will we see more soon? (And could we possibly dare to dream that one of them might come with cartoon-accurate piledrivers in some way?)

2) You've stated that the Universe line is celebrating not only the original Generation One line, but the rich history of Transformers overall. Does this include characters from G1 media who haven't appeared in toy form (at least not as they originally appeared)? Over the years, we've gotten several of these characters in other forms, like RID [???] Jhiaxxus and Movie Arcee, as well as Unicron, who seems to transcend different incarnations. However, have you considered finally producing classic characters like Arcee, the "Allicons," Scrounge, Alpha Trion, and the Last Autobot, and maybe even non-transforming characters like Quintessons and Nightbird?

3) This may be the biggest long shot of all long shot questions, but there are some collectors who would give their left arm for a Circuit Breaker figure, even if she's not in scale with the rest of the Transformers toys. As Hasbro now has the rights to produce Marvel toys, is there even a slim chance that she could possibly be made? (She seems like she'd have the best chance as a comic convention exclusive of some sort.)

crazydave75
10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
do u think theyll ever release action masters again but better sculpted and more cartoon acurate

El Chuxter
10-15-2008, 09:30 AM
A'ight, pics are out, so we may as well be the first to ask Hasbro:

With confirmation of the Takara Masterpiece Grimlock in spring 2009, are there any plans to release him stateside as a store exclusive?

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Forgive my cynicism, but are the guys in charge of answering the same as the guys answering the SW questions? I know there's some overlap, but I'm not sure how much. These answers just seem so... candid. :)These are answered by the Transformers team members, while the Star Wars answers are from the Star Wars team members (the actual people who make the sculpts and decisions and such for each brand). That said, some of the TF answers on other sites are less inspiring IMO, it's about how one asks the question.

2) You've stated that the Universe line is celebrating not only the original Generation One line, but the rich history of Transformers overall. Does this include characters from G1 media who haven't appeared in toy form (at least not as they originally appeared)? Over the years, we've gotten several of these characters in other forms, like RID [???] Jhiaxxus and Movie Arcee, as well as Unicron, who seems to transcend different incarnations. However, have you considered finally producing classic characters like Arcee, the "Allicons," Scrounge, Alpha Trion, and the Last Autobot, and maybe even non-transforming characters like Quintessons and Nightbird?Nice, I'll be surprised if we find 5 better questions than this by December. Universe will be going away in mid-'09 though to make way for the movie, then return after that likely in 2010.

3) This may be the biggest long shot of all long shot questions, but there are some collectors who would give their left arm for a Circuit Breaker figure, even if she's not in scale with the rest of the Transformers toys. As Hasbro now has the rights to produce Marvel toys, is there even a slim chance that she could possibly be made? (She seems like she'd have the best chance as a comic convention exclusive of some sort.)Wow, shoot for the stars, buddy! :p I'll consider it tho', like your other 2 (I didn't quote the first because I had nothing to say to it).

A'ight, pics are out, so we may as well be the first to ask Hasbro:

With confirmation of the Takara Masterpiece Grimlock in spring 2009, are there any plans to release him stateside as a store exclusive?They've intimated in other sites' Q&As that they are working on getting a new Masterpiece released in the US in '09, but didn't say whom. It's really likely to be this figure tho'.

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Other sites' Q&As, in no particular order:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=11518
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/192831-tfw2005-exclusive-hasbro-answers-fans-10-2008-a.html
http://tformers.com/transformers-hasbro-answers-your-burning-questions-part-i/10316/news.html
http://16bit.com/ (no direct link, scroll to October 13th)
http://www.parrygamepreserve.com/archives/?m=10&y=2008 (ditto)
http://www.tfviews.com/news/main/hasbro-q-and-a/128
http://collectiondx.com/node/3017
http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=4777
http://www.unicron.com/news_item/1501/
http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/10707.shtml
http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=77&show_article=663&nl=1
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/hasbro-answers-seibertrons-october-6th-questions/14183/
http://cooltoyreview.com/story/front/Hasbros_TRANSFORMERS_QA_The_Answers_118376.asp

El Chuxter
10-16-2008, 05:26 PM
It seems a bit odd that IDW would have a Q&A, doesn't it?

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 06:14 PM
It seems a bit odd that IDW would have a Q&A, doesn't it?
I totally felt the same way!

By the by, a certain little birdy told me that all the questions are listed here: http://www.tfviews.com/news/main/hasbro-q-and-a/164

DarkArtist
10-31-2008, 01:54 PM
My only question would be are we ever going to see Bumblebee in his true form as a Volkswagon Beetle? Is there some kind of licensing problem with VW that doesn't allow them to use the design?

Seeing him as that little Japanese car or as a Camaro just doesn't seem true to the character.

i whole heartly agree with you bigbarada, bumblebee will always forever be the classic VW Bug, hell i'd even settle for a repaint of the same mold in Gold so we can have Goldbug as well.

JediTricks
11-13-2008, 08:07 PM
We have to get this party going again soon! The deadline is a couple weeks from now. Hit me up with whatever ya got.

matthewilw
11-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Will we be getting any repaints/retools of the incinerator mold?

Any chance of a Halo crossovers line?

El Chuxter
11-16-2008, 05:46 PM
This may seem a bit silly, but:

"Most of the Legends figures in the Universe Classics line have been either figures who are or were previously available on a larger scale in Classics or Universe Classics (like Onslaught and Megatron) or characters who were only ever available on a similar scale (like Wheelie and Brawn). Two exceptions, though, are Jazz and Red Alert. Will we get these two characters in the seemingly more appropriate Deluxe scale?)

DarkArtist
11-17-2008, 11:18 AM
here's a question:

"Any chance of getting some of the Constructacons, Protectabots, Stunicons, Aerialbots, Combaticons in perhaps an exclusive giftset ?"

"What are the chances of perhaps seeing a new Ultra Magnus GI design or even some of the Japanese knockoff Optimus' like Black Convoy as seen below ?"

JediTricks
11-20-2008, 07:59 PM
The queue of potential questions so far:

- The upcoming Universe Hound figure comes with an all-new cassette Ravage that looks amazing from all we've seen. Since this is one of the classic cassettes, we've got to know, will we be seeing more of them soon? Could we possibly dare to dream that one of them might come with cartoon-accurate piledrivers in some way?
- You've stated that the Universe line is celebrating not only the original Generation One line, but the rich history of Transformers overall. Does this include characters from G1 media who haven't appeared in toy form (at least not as they originally appeared)? Over the years, we've gotten several of these characters in other forms, like RID Jhiaxus and several motorcycle Arcee figures, as well as Unicron, who seems to transcend different incarnations. However, have you considered finally producing classic characters like Arcee, the "Allicons," Scrounge, Alpha Trion, the Last Autobot, and maybe even non-transforming characters like Quintessons and Nightbird?
- This may be the biggest long shot of all long shot questions, but there are a few collectors who would give their special left arm for a Circuit Breaker figure, even if she's not in scale with the rest of the Transformers toys. As Hasbro now has the rights to produce Marvel toys, is there even a slim chance that she could possibly be made? Even if it was just a convention exclusive or something?
- We'll be direct about this, with confirmation of TakaraTomy producing a Masterpiece Grimlock for 2009, and Hasbro hinting at importing a new Masterpiece character, will Hasbro be bringing this MP Grimlock figure to the US?
- Most of the Legends figures in the Universe/Classics line have been either characters previously available on a larger scale in Classics (like Onslaught and Megatron) or characters who were only ever available on a similar scale (like Wheelie, Cosmos, Beachcomber and Brawn). Two exceptions in the upcoming Universe Legends though are Jazz and Red Alert. Will we get those 2 characters in the seemingly more appropriate Deluxe scale as well?

1) The upcoming Universe Hound figure comes with a resculpt of Ravage that looks amazing from the advance photos we've seen. Since this is one of the classic cassettes out of the way in this line, we've gotta know--will we see more soon? (And could we possibly dare to dream that one of them might come with cartoon-accurate piledrivers in some way?)Ok, I'll put that in the queue...

You've stated that the Universe line is celebrating not only the original Generation One line, but the rich history of Transformers overall. Does this include characters from G1 media who haven't appeared in toy form (at least not as they originally appeared)? Over the years, we've gotten several of these characters in other forms, like RID [???] Jhiaxxus and Movie Arcee, as well as Unicron, who seems to transcend different incarnations. However, have you considered finally producing classic characters like Arcee, the "Allicons," Scrounge, Alpha Trion, and the Last Autobot, and maybe even non-transforming characters like Quintessons and Nightbird?Jhiaxus (yes, the toy is RID) is actually from the G2 comic, not G1, but they're the same universe I guess. Also, I am a little hesitant to do the Quintessons part since Hasbro made that Alpha Q figure from Energon, but they're different enough I guess.

do u think theyll ever release action masters again but better sculpted and more cartoon acurateWhat exactly are you looking for with that question that hasn't been done via Revoltech, Titanium 3", or other stuff?

Will we be getting any repaints/retools of the incinerator mold?Do you mean the movie line figure, the Osprey?

Any chance of a Halo crossovers line?Halo license isn't held by Hasbro, it's held by McFarlane, so there's no Hasbro team to crossover with.

Most of the Legends figures in the Universe Classics line have been either figures who are or were previously available on a larger scale in Classics or Universe Classics (like Onslaught and Megatron) or characters who were only ever available on a similar scale (like Wheelie and Brawn). Two exceptions, though, are Jazz and Red Alert. Will we get these two characters in the seemingly more appropriate Deluxe scale?)

here's a question:

"Any chance of getting some of the Constructacons, Protectabots, Stunicons, Aerialbots, Combaticons in perhaps an exclusive giftset ?"We have something along those lines out now for Constructicons, but it's not the G1 molds, is that what you're asking about? Those figures, except for the Combaticons, don't all pass modern safety regs, so it wouldn't be a simple boxed set going back to old molds, there would be some modifications needed. LMK if that's what you're looking for.

"What are the chances of perhaps seeing a new Ultra Magnus GI design or even some of the Japanese knockoff Optimus' like Black Convoy as seen below ?"They did a new Ultra Magnus in the Titanium 6" line, as well as a rather unimpressive one in the Classics line, and a very cool one in the RID line that would fit the bill. What exactly are you looking for though? You can't just say "a new G1 design" because that one already exists, you have to explain what you'd want to see done with a new design.

The second pic you have is Scourge from the RID cartoon, they did make that figure, it's nifty, I have it. They've done a bunch of other Black Convoy-type figs since then, they even offered a new Nemesis Prime at Comic-Con this year. So again, what are you looking for there?

El Chuxter
11-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Off-subject, but since you mentioned it: I see knockoffs of a lot of the old gestalts at Big Lots regularly (especially the Aerialbots), complete with all pieces (minus, maybe, the individual guns). If they don't pass safety standards, how can another company sell them at a major retailer (though admittedly a sucky one) in the US?

Not a question for Hasbro, I guess, but that seems weird.

JediTricks
11-21-2008, 03:11 AM
Because those knockoffs aren't worried about passing US safety regs since they don't submit them for testing, and they're not worried about getting sued by angry parents of injured children because they're fly-by-night companies.

JediTricks
11-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Sunday night is the cutoff date for new questions. Send what ya got!

JediTricks
12-01-2008, 04:43 AM
Ok, I sent out our questions. I wanted a little more variety in them, so I put aside 2 questions for now (Circuitbreaker because she's a longshot, and Jazz & Red Alert because Red Alert seems almost built into the Sideswipe/Sunstreaker mold so it's just a question about Jazz), wrote a few new ones, and here's the final result:

1) You've stated that the Universe line is celebrating not only the original Generation One line, but the rich history of Transformers overall. Does this include characters from G1 media who haven't appeared in toy form (at least not as they originally appeared)? Over the years, we've gotten several of these characters in other forms, like RID Jhiaxus and several motorcycle Arcee figures, as well as Unicron, who seems to transcend different incarnations. However, have you considered finally producing classic characters like Arcee, the "Allicons," Scrounge, Alpha Trion, the Last Autobot, and maybe even non-transforming characters like Quintessons and Nightbird?

2) We'll be direct about this, with confirmation of TakaraTomy producing a Masterpiece Grimlock for 2009, and Hasbro hinting at importing a new Masterpiece character, will Hasbro be bringing this MP Grimlock figure to the US?

3) In the last few years, Transformers has enjoyed a few rather groundbreaking lines that suffered short runs: Alternators and Titanium Series 6" figures. What factors do you think contributed to their downfalls? Hindsight being 20/20, what would you go back and do differently with each of those lines?

4) Not to be indelicate about this, but General Motors' financial status has been publicly revealed to be in dire straits, and the company has been asking the US government for financial assistance, which the current political climate leaves that in some doubt. With GM being the chief brand for both Transformers movies and the company possibly on the brink of bankruptcy, or perhaps forced to change production focus to a different "green" line of cars, has there been any thought on Hasbro's part to how that may affect the TF2 movie toy line? Might there be a shift on marketing for the toys and the film because of this turn of events?

5) The upcoming Universe Hound figure comes with an all-new cassette Ravage that looks amazing from all we've seen. Since this is one of the classic cassettes, we've got to know, will we be seeing more of them soon? Could we possibly dare to dream that one of them might come with cartoon-accurate piledrivers in some way?

I almost cut the Grimlock question instead of the Jazz/Red Alert question, the thinking being that another outlet will probably ask it as well, and the question isn't as meaty as it should be, but the likelihood of there being a Universe Jazz seems really low right now, whereas the Grimlock question seems likely.

JediTricks
12-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Q&A is back: http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=21&p2_articleid=2471

Interestingly, the answers came in 2 separate batches.

JediTricks
02-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Ok, we have 10 days until the deadline for the next round of Transformers Q&A. It's now only 3 questions, but please feel free to post as many potential questions as you'd like.

JediTricks
02-23-2009, 03:47 AM
Here is what we sent in for this round:

1) As fans of Hasbro's lines, we've seen this for years: official Hasbro images for retailers and on packaging that employ a dark look as if photoshopped to enhance shadows, surfaces and edges. This gives the overall look of the toy increased realism, but often the production deco of the toy can't really live up to that. While there is a fine-print proviso on the packaging about such things, it's still a little unusual. Why does Hasbro employ this tactic so often with their official photography, and why not simply give each toy a subtle, simple paint wash to actually bring those lines out and give them the realistic look which the packaging shows could be possible?

2) This may be the biggest long shot of all long shot questions, but there are a few collectors who would give their special left arm for a Circuit Breaker figure, even if she's not in scale with the rest of the Transformers toys. As Hasbro now has the rights to produce Marvel toys, is there even a slim chance that she could possibly be made? Even if it was just a convention exclusive or something?

3) For Transformers' 25th anniversary, Hasbro decided to celebrate multiple eras in the Classics 2.0 line, and a couple of those entries came from Beast Wars. Cheetor and Dinobot are some of the better known characters from the series, and both seem quite deserving of upgrades. However, when the figures hit the market, it seemed like neither design lived up to its potential with multiple issues in both bot and beast modes, unfortunately taking interesting ideas and cutting them off at the knees. There are a lot of theories as to what happened with those 2, ranging from budget issues to rushed designs to even a team design philosophy that doesn't "get" beast-bots. Fans appreciate the desire to pay homage and update these designs, but candidly speaking, there is a general feeling that these went wrong, and fans want to know: what happened with these Cheetor & Dinobot figures?

JediTricks
03-10-2009, 04:36 PM
The answers are in!

El Chuxter
04-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Dunno if you'd want to ask this, or if it's appropriate, but here's one I'd like to know:

Not exactly toy-related, but could you share any insight on the origin of some of the more "unusual" character names from Transformers: The Movie? Most follow the rather straightforward conventions we've seen before (like Blurr, Hot Rod, Wheelie, Scourge), and Kup appears to be short for "pickup," but some are puzzlers? Is Springer named after Frank Springer, the late artist who drew the original Marvel miniseries (before if became a monthly)? What is an "Arcee"? Why is a zombie spaceship with no wind-based powers "Cyclonus"? And why the prefix "Galva-" in "Galvatron"?

JediTricks
04-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Sure, I'll ask that. Seems like you're our resident TF Q&A man now.

JediTricks
05-03-2009, 02:28 PM
The questions are due tomorrow, I'm sending them in tonight, so throw 'em up and it'll likely get asked.

Tycho
05-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I didn't read the thread because I wanted to quickly post and make JTs deadline, but THIS NEEDS TO BE ASKED:

Why are the ROTF Constructicons (Deluxe and Voyager) not engineered to merge into Devastator? During G1 a company called Hasbro managed to sell individual Constructicons on cards, sort of like the Deluxes are marketed today, and they merged. Hasbro, please answer the question in detail.

Chaddymac
05-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Here's what I would like to ask:

"How does Hasbro feel about all the fan-made accessories, like the fansproject Classics Ultra Magnus upgrade kit, or the Unicron.com Animated Allspark?

JediTricks
05-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Thanks guys. Here's what I sent in:

1) With the new movie, there are 2 main line toy systems for the Constructicons, one which turns from vehicles into individual robots, and another which converts vehicles directly into the combined robot mode. However, based on Hasbro info, neither system is "complete", one system does not combine, while the other doesn't have individual robot modes. Obviously, you guys know how to make combiners after 25 years of it. So what is the real reason behind this choice? And will there be a reversal of this decision down the line?

2) Not exactly toy-related, but could you share any insight on the origin of some of the more "unusual" character names from Transformers: The Movie? Most follow the rather straightforward conventions we've seen before (like Blurr, Hot Rod, Wheelie, Scourge), and Kup appears to be short for "pickup," but some are puzzlers. Is Springer named after Frank Springer, the late artist who drew the original Marvel miniseries (before if became a monthly)? What is an "Arcee"? Why is a zombie spaceship with no wind-based powers "Cyclonus"? And why the prefix "Galva-" in "Galvatron"?

3) In the last few years, a cottage industry has cropped up around Transformers collecting that lets consumers upgrade their TFs. Although the starts were murkier material, lately we've seen higher and higher-quality projects come to life, from sticker overhauls to add-on parts to important accessories, and more all made by the fans, for the fans. How does Hasbro feel about all the fan-made accessories such as the fansproject Classics Ultra Magnus upgrade kit, or the Lukis Bros' Animated Allspark?

Chaddymac
05-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys. Here's what I sent in:

1) With the new movie, there are 2 main line toy systems for the Constructicons, one which turns from vehicles into individual robots, and another which converts vehicles directly into the combined robot mode. However, based on Hasbro info, neither system is "complete", one system does not combine, while the other doesn't have individual robot modes. Obviously, you guys know how to make combiners after 25 years of it. So what is the real reason behind this choice? And will there be a reversal of this decision down the line?

2) Not exactly toy-related, but could you share any insight on the origin of some of the more "unusual" character names from Transformers: The Movie? Most follow the rather straightforward conventions we've seen before (like Blurr, Hot Rod, Wheelie, Scourge), and Kup appears to be short for "pickup," but some are puzzlers. Is Springer named after Frank Springer, the late artist who drew the original Marvel miniseries (before if became a monthly)? What is an "Arcee"? Why is a zombie spaceship with no wind-based powers "Cyclonus"? And why the prefix "Galva-" in "Galvatron"?

3) In the last few years, a cottage industry has cropped up around Transformers collecting that lets consumers upgrade their TFs. Although the starts were murkier material, lately we've seen higher and higher-quality projects come to life, from sticker overhauls to add-on parts to important accessories, and more all made by the fans, for the fans. How does Hasbro feel about all the fan-made accessories such as the fansproject Classics Ultra Magnus upgrade kit, or the Lukis Bros' Animated Allspark?
I don't know how the rest of the crew feels, but you turned my hodgepodge into Shakespeare. Thanks, JT!

Tycho
05-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Here's what I would like to ask:

"How does Hasbro feel about all the fan-made accessories, like the fansproject Classics Ultra Magnus upgrade kit, or the Unicron.com Animated Allspark?

Let me try Shakespeare:

"How does Thy Hasbro most passionately emote

over the afficianado beautified complimote?"

Does Ultra Magnus

or His Sire Unicron

hail from

inspiration's scion?"

"How does'th

Thee play,

with the Allspark,

of today?"

El Chuxter
05-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Jazz, Jazz, wherefore art thou Meister?

Chaddymac
05-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Dude .... that was inspired.

JediTricks
05-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't know how the rest of the crew feels, but you turned my hodgepodge into Shakespeare. Thanks, JT!You're quite welcome.

JediTricks
06-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Ok, so a few weeks late, but here are the answers: http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=21&p2_articleid=2471

Question 3 got indirectly addressed at Botcon last weekend, where they mentioned they heard about this in Q&A and were not happy with the situation. I was pleased to see we have influence on these things, though saddened to see how unhappy they are. But it opens up avenues of discussion about collector-themed items and a demand for them and the potential for a licensee out there who WOULD make that stuff.

Chaddymac
06-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Whoops. How could they not have known about this before hand?

But, again I say: "Whoops."

JediTricks
06-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I have no idea how this wasn't on their radar before the way it is now. So strange, but out of the darkness comes a little light, in the form of a potential avenue to try.

Also, Hasbro answered my other site's questions a day after we got ours here back. Here's TFviews':
http://www.tfviews.com/news/main/hasbro-q-and-a/455

JediTricks
06-28-2009, 05:23 PM
2 weeks to go before the submission deadline, let's get some questions coming in!

I'll start.

With movie 2's Sideswipe, why to the tailpipes slide in and out?

Tycho
06-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Will Hasbro release Devastator's testacles as an add-on accessory or is it too late to include them with the Ultimate Combiner Set? He just won't be complete without his balls.

Is a Leader Class Grindor (Blackout) now possible?

Does The Fallen warrant a Leader Class toy?

Does Tycho have any more questions about Leader Class products?

Will Ironhide be re-released in his true-to-the-movie black color?

How big is Soundwave supposed to be in "movie reality?" Would he be Voyager or Leader Class?

Scout Class is more accurate a size for Arcee and Chromia. Will there be Scout versions of these characters?

A Bonecrusher-type vehicle (that was obviously another Decepticon) can be seen in ROTF. Would a Voyager Class or Leader Class be finally warranted for this character? Deluxe was way too small.

What happened to Barricade in the movies?

Will Hasbro make a Voyager Class Ice Cream Truck version of Mudflap and Skids?

What are the plans and pending sizes for more Constructicons sold individually, specifically: Long Haul, Scrapper, and Scavenger? Is there one more that's missing?

Will the Human Alliance assortment continue beyond Barricade with Frenzy, SideSwipe with Epps, and Skids / Arcee with Mikaela? How about Rampage with imprisoned Ron Witwicky, or Mudflap with Simmons? Is Ironhide too large for a Human Alliance and could he come with Lennox? How will Lennox see release? He's the team commander.

How about a Human Alliance Optimus Prime with a hologram driver modeled after Peter Cullen?

Could a Human Alliance figure of Alice (Isabel Lucas) be made and come with another Decepticon like Sideways?

Will there be a more accurate Scout Class version of Wheelie released?

figrin bran
06-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Will there be more offerings in Transformers Animated beyond what was shown at Botcon 09?

JediTricks
06-29-2009, 04:22 PM
How about a Human Alliance Optimus Prime with a hologram driver modeled after Peter Cullen?They actually asked this at Botcon, it was a no.

figrin bran
06-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Will there be more offerings in Transformers Animated beyond what was shown at Botcon 09?

JT, I want to rephrase this question a bit.

Transformers Animated has been a success among long time fans and kids alike and even with the launch of the Revenge of the Fallen line, Animated remains a steady seller. At Botcon there were a good amount of future offerings revealed for the line. The show cancellation notwithstanding, there is still tremendous untapped potential in terms of characters that could be produced for Animated. Will additional characters see the light of day into toy form and will the future of Animated depend upon sales of the upcoming releases?

JediTricks
06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Figgy B, that was asked at Botcon, I recorded it in my Hasbro panel write-up:
http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=3097

"Future TF:Animated releases in Universe packaging? No, stick with TF:A style for what's discussed today."

But then...

"What about making the rest of the Animated characters in Universe? They don't think there are current plans, but they continue to add TF:Animated into the line, that's where they'd fit in the future. But again, no plans right now."

Darth Metalmute
06-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Will Hasbro release Devastator's testacles as an add-on accessory or is it too late to include them with the Ultimate Combiner Set? He just won't be complete without his balls.?

I second this one, although I'm sure the answer is no and that we will have to wait until a fan creates it.

Will Hasbro make a Voyager Class Ice Cream Truck version of Mudflap and Skids?

I believe the answer is yes on this one. I saw one on the Transformers wiki website. Don't know if it is Voyager Class though.
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:ROTF_Deluxe_Skids%26Mudflap_toy.jpg

JediTricks
06-30-2009, 04:53 PM
That is a deluxe-class, and they indicated in the saturday Botcon panel that it was a goofy thing which made it a good thing, not something they were likely to do a lot of.

JediTricks
07-13-2009, 04:21 AM
Well, here's what we're asking. Don't everybody thank me all at once. :p

What is the philosophy behind which characters get turned into leader-class figures? Why do Starscream and Brawl get leader-class figures while stuff like Bonecrusher, Blackout/Grindor, or The Fallen do not? What does the decision-making process there look like? And what can fans who want some of those to get made do to persuade Hasbro to go for it?

While we have now heard and understand why Hasbro didn't produce ROTF Constructions that both combined and transformed (although there are still fans who disagree with your reasons), there still remains other questions being asked about these guys. Why produce only 4 of the significant ROTF Constructicons as individual figures yet leave out others like Scrapper and Hightower? And how did such seemingly non-toyetic robot designs like one with only a head and arms and wheels with no body or another with a 'jackhammer' uni-leg come about when, even for the movie aesthetic, they are pretty far out there for a movie basically about a toy line?

Comparing the 2007 movie line's "Automorph" concept to the ROTF line's "Mech Alive" concept, it seems like Mech Alive comes up pretty short. Not only does Mech Alive seem not as dynamic or fun, but largely there is a sense that the whole thing doesn't even fully deliver on the concept except on 1 figure (voyager-class Starscream), either because of underwhelming features (Breakaway's spinning gatling gun, Skids & Mudflap's moving chest panels and head-bobbing, Rampage's moving jackhammer pistons Sideswipe's knee armor, Wheelie's faction logos, The Fallen's slide-out energy panels, Megatron's spinning gears), or Mech Alive gimmicks that get packaging mentions but were dropped from the final toys (Sideways' spinning blade and untold left arm gimmick, Chromia's non-existent spinning gears, Starscream's pop-out missile launchers). What does the TF team feel about the matter, do they agree this was a bit of a dropped ball, or are fans not really "getting it"? Will we see Mech Alive continue into TF's future the way Automorph has been carried forward beyond the '07 movie line?
(heh, almost forgot to actually ask a question there, I was literally about to hit "send" when I realized it had none of the five W's :p)

It's funny, for a group with a fairly active Transformers thread, we sure didn't get a lot of Q&A activity this time around.

Tycho
07-13-2009, 04:46 AM
Oh sweet. Hasbro answered one of my questions:

TYCHO: Will Hasbro release Devastator's testacles as an add-on accessory or is it too late to include them with the Ultimate Combiner Set? He just won't be complete without his balls.

HASBRO: Yes, we are going to be releasing the Constructicon Wrecking Set as a battle pack with the first pictures to be shown at Comic Con. Unfortunately, due to balancing out the cost of this Transformers accessory set, we had to cut out one of Devastator's balls. However, we will not leave the fans hanging. There will be two sets each with one of the giant robot's balls. The first set will debut with one ball and a Legends Class Mudflap, to be later followed by the other ball, with a Legends Class Skids. When you put these sets together, Devastator will have the right balls. We hope there will be strong enough demand for the first set so that the assortment will sell through, and that way one ball won't be hanging around longer than the other one, delaying that one's release.

Chaddymac
07-13-2009, 08:53 AM
It's funny, for a group with a fairly active Transformers thread, we sure didn't get a lot of Q&A activity this time around.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but after cancelling the Animated line and putting the Universe line on indeterminate hiatus, I couldn't think of a question that hasn't been asked that wasn't going to annoy the crap out of them. The only thing I have to look forward to from this line is the Human Alliance figures.

But again, that's just me...

JediTricks
07-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I know what you mean there Chaddy, I feel like the movie has ruined the line's 25th anniversary and left a wide path of destruction in its wake for the fandom. Still, I wouldn't have minded questions about "why the hell did you sell everything down the river for this awful film line" even if I had to clean them up. :p

The Universe/Classics theme is returning next year, it's not indeterminate.

Chaddymac
07-13-2009, 01:34 PM
It's indeterminate until I see ACTUAL plans for the line. Hasbro likes to say things then say, "Oh, well, when we said that, we thought you understood that our plans are always in motion."

It's indeterminate because Hasbro is inscrutable. That said, I understand why they focused on the awful movie line (which really isn't THAT awful and appears to be selling okay and, based on how well it did during the last film, was a pretty safe bet). It's what the retailers wanted. What I DON'T understand is killing the Animated line. Put it on hiatus? Sure. But kill it? Before I got my Omega Supreme?

Excuse me while I step out...I'm getting emotional.

El Chuxter
07-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Did we ever ask about the possibility of the final Legends wave (Wheelie, Warpath, Cosmos, and Rodimus) being re-released when (if) the Universe line returns? I thought we had and gotten the typical, "Eh, maybe, our plans are always in motion, we made plenty, it's the stores' fault, thanks for the input," answers, but don't see it.

JediTricks
07-13-2009, 10:37 PM
It's indeterminate until I see ACTUAL plans for the line. Hasbro likes to say things then say, "Oh, well, when we said that, we thought you understood that our plans are always in motion."

It's indeterminate because Hasbro is inscrutable. That said, I understand why they focused on the awful movie line (which really isn't THAT awful and appears to be selling okay and, based on how well it did during the last film, was a pretty safe bet). It's what the retailers wanted. What I DON'T understand is killing the Animated line. Put it on hiatus? Sure. But kill it? Before I got my Omega Supreme?

Excuse me while I step out...I'm getting emotional.
They killed it because of the deal they put together with Discovery Kids. Now they will own the next TF cartoon instead of someone like Cartoon Network. As for the toy line, it appears it wasn't doing all that well with retailers and was getting in the way of their plans for the movie. All of it is purely business-related.

Chux, that question was asked at Botcon by my buddy Matt, here's the answer from the link to AF on the previous page: "- Rerelease the Universe Legends that were hard to find? Big audience agreement. Hasbro's answer is that the Legends scale distribution is different in the US than outside the US. Globally, European countries prices of products are much higher so Legendsare a very bigger part of TF marketing in other countries. While in the US, a lot of retailer accounts use them as sidekicks and extras, harder to have a more fluid distribution when it's not on the planograms. So there are no plans, but it's good feedback to hear. Maybe in the future as exclusives or on HasbroToyShop."

crazydave75
07-23-2009, 03:42 PM
when r they gonna remake kup?

Chaddymac
07-23-2009, 04:01 PM
when r they gonna remake kup?
re-release or remake, like in classics?

crazydave75
07-27-2009, 11:07 AM
either or both they should update the targetmaster and headmaster figures i know they did cyclonus but we need the rest

JediTricks
08-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Just for reference, the deadline on the next round is the 10th, so I'll be submitting those questions a week from today. Now all we need are a few questions. :D

Tycho
08-08-2009, 09:32 AM
What will Hasbro do to include Major Lennox in the Human Alliance assortment?

Are SideWays and Alice as well as Rampage with Prisoner Ron Witwicky possible Decepticon figures for the Human Alliance line-up?

It just wouldn't be Tycho posting if he didn't ask "When will we see a Leader Class Blackout or Grindor?"

Can we have a Scout Class Arcee?

A Legends Class Wheelie?

JediTricks
08-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Last few hours to participate in this round before we have to send this in. I'm going to send it around 7pm PST, I think.

JediTricks
08-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I have a question, what are the mech alive chest gimmicks on Mudflap and Skids supposed to be representing?

EDIT: Someone suggested to me that it's from when they're punching each other. I'm not entirely sold on this being the case, but I think I'll hold off for now on the question and get more input. Here's what I originally wrote:

ROTF deluxe Mudflap and Skids each have a Mech Alive feature in their chests where panels slide out and their heads bob down. What is this feature meant to be representing, exactly? Was this something that had more importance in an earlier version of the film that got lost, something made up, or is it supposed to be representing something in the finished film that we're just not really getting?

JediTricks
08-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Alrighty, here are the 3 questions I've reworked and sent to Hasbro:

1) This question has been on our "juuuust barely missed the votes" list since the very first round, and our readers definitely seem to want to know it, so here goes. When are you going to remake Kup? Granted, there have been a few other awesome old guy Transformers lately, Ratchet in Animated, Brakedown in the Cybertron line (who did get a Kup-styled repaint), but Kup himself is a beloved character we haven't seen used for far too long in the toy line, neither a US reissue nor a new version (the Botcon exclusive doesn't entirely count). With his recent significant appearance in All Hail Megatron, it seems like Kup is far overdue for a toy, and while a reissue would be a good start, an awesome new figure would be even better. So, any hope for a Kup figure? If so, any chance of that figure coming with his Targetmaster buddy, Recoil?

2) The new Human Alliance is starting to pick up steam, with Bumblebee and now Sideswipe showing up in stores, and the fan buzz about the line is really taking off. With Human Alliance, assuming the line continues beyond the sets shown, what is the future of the line, will we be seeing Sideways or Ironhide in the line? What about human(oid) characters like Major Lennox, Alice, even the Witwicky parents or hologram drivers? Might we even get more movie 1 characters like Jazz? How about off-screen Transformers, larger pricepoint figures, even recent comic book bots and humans for the Human Alliance line?

3) Even though this has been somewhat addressed at your panels at this year's Botcon and Comic-Con, questions about the ROTF Arcee motorcycle trio keep coming up as fans are both stymied and fascinated by the concept and potential behind these 3 characters. Can we get final clarification on a few things, like will this figure definitely be coming out? Can we get a definitive name on the 3rd bike character, is it Moonracer or Flareup or something else? Now that we've seen concept art for that character, the bike mode might pass as a repaint of Arcee but the bot mode absolutely could not, and their colors seem a little too similar, will this 3rd bike be a new sculpt, a retool, or just a repaint? Why haven't there been any images yet of this 3rd character or all 3 motorcycle figures in their combined mode, and might we get photos of that? Have you yet worked out the alternate method by which the combined mode instructions will be revealed since they won't be in the 3rd figure's instructions?

JediTricks
08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Here are the answers from our July 13th questions! http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=21&p2_articleid=2471

Tycho
08-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Hasbro DUCKED all of their questions:

Short answers:

1) We don't have plans to make Leader Class figures that the fans want. (Uh-huh. That's smart.)

2) Blame the Constructicons on Michael Bay. What: did Megan Fox answer these questions for Hasbro? Nah. She'd say "It's so sexy that 2 more of the Constructicons haven't been made yet, because it leaves the fanboys wanting something so badly. Yeah fanboy: Do you want something?"

3) Finally, Hasbro: "Some Transformers work better than others." Really? Did they also know that some washers and dryers work better than others? Some coffee machines also work better than others, too. Hmmm. Can anyone else think of anything else that this line of reasoning applies to?

El Chuxter
08-11-2009, 09:35 AM
So, are they admitting that they relinquish all control to these hack directors? Looks like they'd maintain some veto power. Like, "Hey, Mike, y'know, we want to continue making cartoons about these guys, so ix-nay on the masturbation jokes and giant robot balls."

JediTricks
08-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Yeah, you guys hit it on the head completely. This was a rather unsatisfying set of answers. "Bay wanted all the constructicons to look VERY different, so he decided to have them look as little like sensible robots as possible."

JediTricks
08-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Here are the answers!

El Chuxter
08-24-2009, 10:56 PM
"We love Kup and are always looking for ways to work him into the line. That's why there's not been a Kup figure since 1987." :rolleyes:

JediTricks
09-28-2009, 02:59 PM
It's that time again, questions are due in a week.

Tycho
09-28-2009, 07:53 PM
NEW QUESTIONS:

When will we see the Human Alliance Figures for Mudflap w. Simmons and Barricade w. Frenzy?

How is the Human Alliance Assortment performing for Hasbro? Good enough to see more Decepticons like Rampage w. Ron Witwicky and Ravage, or Sideways w. Alice (Isabel Lucas)? [Would they include Alice as both human and machine, please?]

How is Hasbro feeling now about releasing more Leader Class ROTF figures like the upcoming Starscream? And how do they feel about making more like Blackout / Grindor (repaint and repackage, sell him twice)?

Will BoneCrusher ever get an update to Voyager or Leader Class?

Dom
10-13-2009, 11:22 AM
I would like to know if they are working on any other HA`s besides what we have seen(basically Tycho`s question)

Also are we stuck in Bayverse now till 2012 are is there a chance of Univerese/classics line returning?

Will there ever be a Animated Voyager Ramjet?

JediTricks
10-13-2009, 04:39 PM
I asked the HA question, we'll know in another week and a half.

The Universe line will come back, it is designed to go "on hold" to make room for other stuff whenever it needs to. I'll try to ask them next round for a timeline.

Tycho
10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Also are we stuck in Bayverse now till 2012 ...?

I would like an electronic 12" figure of Michael Bay which when you push the button on his back, he's says "This is going to be awesome!" or insults Megan Fox. Will Hasbro please make this?

To be followed up by the 12" Megan Fox action figure - though I'm still editing my list of features I'd want included with that figure because I can't post some of them on this site :D

Darth Metalmute
10-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I would like an electronic 12" figure of Michael Bay which when you push the button on his back, he's says "This is going to be awesome!" or insults Megan Fox. Will Hasbro please make this?

I'd buy this. Oh I would buy this. Especially if they include the Megan Fox insults. Maybe it could come with some of the action features that Alabama Man had.

JediTricks
10-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Your answers for round 7:

Tycho
10-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Basically, Hasbro promoted what they'd already had planned: HA Mudflap and Barricade, and LC Starscream.

Things don't look good for my LC Blackout / Grindor, and Hasbro wasn't expressing anything like the HA figures are flying off the shelves, else I think they would have said, "Yeah - we'd love to do Rampage or Sideways in the HA line and are working on things now."

However, I'm not completely disappointed because we have release dates for HA and LC product I'm very excited about.

JediTricks
11-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Questions are due on the 30th.

Tycho
11-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Has Hasbro gotten any information about the story or characters expected to appear in Transformers 3 yet?

What Transformers characters would the Hasbro Team like to see appear in the next Michael Bay movie?

Are there still fans of Hound, Mirage, and Wheeljack around? How about Astrotrain?

Darth Metalmute
11-18-2009, 07:34 AM
I'll vote for the last two that Tyhco asked.

JediTricks
11-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Questions are due tonight. Keep in mind, anything you ask will probably get used at this point.

Has Hasbro gotten any information about the story or characters expected to appear in Transformers 3 yet?

What Transformers characters would the Hasbro Team like to see appear in the next Michael Bay movie?

Are there still fans of Hound, Mirage, and Wheeljack around? How about Astrotrain?
I can't ask the first, the answer will be a cryptic one and at best "yes" with no further info.

The second one, we asked something similar to that on TFV and they fully gave us the PR non-answer. However, we can ask them about specific TF characters since TFV didn't.

Hound and Astrotrain got figures recently, so I can't imagine there's not fans of them on the team. Mirage and Wheeljack are good though, any other characters you'd like to throw at them? We haven't had a good Wheeljack figure in a while now.

I think I'd like to ask them a question about the line's pacing being all screwy lately, and there being not enough new basics to go around.

Tycho
11-29-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't think you should take this seriously, but someone might like the idea for real:

With the A-Team Movie being made, is Hasbro considering Transformers Crossovers like with B.A. Baracus as the van, Faceman as the 'vette, Murdoch as a helicopter, Hannibal as some kind of construction wrecker, and various military vehicles as Decker or other MP characters?

JediTricks
11-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Hey, thanks a bunch.

No. :p

JediTricks
12-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Hasbro gives us the answers:

El Chuxter
12-24-2009, 09:35 AM
So they were behind the weird movie-hybrid looks... and they forced Chuck Dixon to include the MASS Device in the first arc of GIJoe because they figured most people (even comic readers) remembered the cartoon and not comic. Hasbro seems to be injecting a bit too much control over the old school comics, a la 1991 "GIJoe STARRING SNAKE EYES!"

Chaddymac
12-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Two things: 1) is there any place that does a comprehensive list of all the sites participating in the Q & A's or that does a round-up, like SSG?

2) I have a question for the next round - would Hasbro be interested in doing an official or sponsoring an unofficial poll for the next round of Classic releases (which at this point I think is a "when" instead of an "if")?

I for one would love any and all of these: (original molds) Legends Powerglide, Legends Seaspray, Voyager Galvatron, Deluxe Wheeljack, Deluxe Springer (or any autobot triple changer), Deluxe Tracks, Deluxe Kup, Deluxe Blurr, Deluxe Arcee, Deluxe Scourge, Deluxe Blitzwing, more cassettes (the Ravage that came with Hound is awesome); (recolors) Jazz (new head/shoulder rocket please), Red Alert, Sunstorm.

There aren't any figures from any other era I'm interested in, (which is probably obvious :)), but there are a lot of G1 characters I'd love to get my hands on. Actually, though these are at the top of my list, any G1 figs not as yet updated in Classics would be awesome. And I'd love an opportunity to tell Hasbro that. I'm betting others would, too (whatever figures are at the top of their list). Otherwise, my only hope is for Fansproject to keep producing the figures I want (and, honestly, the fan-made stuff has been what's gotten me most excited recently...)

El Chuxter
12-24-2009, 01:30 PM
If the GIJoe Q&A is still going on, can we pose a question about Hasbro's level of involvement in the upcoming "Real American Hero" series that continues Marvel? 'Cause the original plan from 1994 was to keep the brainwashing of the former Cobras temporary. As much as I like evil Destro, evil Baroness, evil Zartan, and evil Storm Shadow, they'd all reformed in the original series, and it'd be nice to have things progress organically rather than have Hasbro step in and insist they've got to be baddies when the "Cobra Reborn" storyline is wrapped up.

JediTricks
12-24-2009, 02:06 PM
So they were behind the weird movie-hybrid looks... and they forced Chuck Dixon to include the MASS Device in the first arc of GIJoe because they figured most people (even comic readers) remembered the cartoon and not comic. Hasbro seems to be injecting a bit too much control over the old school comics, a la 1991 "GIJoe STARRING SNAKE EYES!"Be fair, most people DO know GI Joe:ARAH from the cartoon and not the comics.

Two things: 1) is there any place that does a comprehensive list of all the sites participating in the Q & A's or that does a round-up, like SSG?I had been doing the roundups on my site, TFV, but the lack of timing from some sites and the lack of quality answers took the wind out of my sails. The only one I know of now is TFwiki.net's questions & links roundup: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hasbro_Q_%26_A

2) I have a question for the next round - would Hasbro be interested in doing an official or sponsoring an unofficial poll for the next round of Classic releases (which at this point I think is a "when" instead of an "if")?

I for one would love any and all of these: (original molds) Legends Powerglide, Legends Seaspray, Voyager Galvatron, Deluxe Wheeljack, Deluxe Springer (or any autobot triple changer), Deluxe Tracks, Deluxe Kup, Deluxe Blurr, Deluxe Arcee, Deluxe Scourge, Deluxe Blitzwing, more cassettes (the Ravage that came with Hound is awesome); (recolors) Jazz (new head/shoulder rocket please), Red Alert, Sunstorm.

There aren't any figures from any other era I'm interested in, (which is probably obvious :)), but there are a lot of G1 characters I'd love to get my hands on. Actually, though these are at the top of my list, any G1 figs not as yet updated in Classics would be awesome. And I'd love an opportunity to tell Hasbro that. I'm betting others would, too (whatever figures are at the top of their list). Otherwise, my only hope is for Fansproject to keep producing the figures I want (and, honestly, the fan-made stuff has been what's gotten me most excited recently...)I think we asked something like that a few rounds ago, but I cannot remember. I find them VERY unreceptive to ideas like this, but I'll be glad to throw the question at them when the next opportunity arises, assuming we don't have other questions that folks like better by then (which are low odds lately).

If the GIJoe Q&A is still going on, can we pose a question about Hasbro's level of involvement in the upcoming "Real American Hero" series that continues Marvel? 'Cause the original plan from 1994 was to keep the brainwashing of the former Cobras temporary. As much as I like evil Destro, evil Baroness, evil Zartan, and evil Storm Shadow, they'd all reformed in the original series, and it'd be nice to have things progress organically rather than have Hasbro step in and insist they've got to be baddies when the "Cobra Reborn" storyline is wrapped up.I don't know, as I personally am not involved with the GI Joe Q&A at all. I passed the buck on it long ago when I knew I couldn't handle that and this and SW. Um... remind me next week and I'll ask Steve if he's still participating.

Chaddymac
12-24-2009, 02:20 PM
That archive is exactly what I was looking for, JT. Have I told...you lately...that I love you...? You are the wind beneath my wings.

El Chuxter
12-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Most people overall remember the cartoon over the comic. But when it means throwing in some of the more unbelievable sci-fi elements of the comic in an otherwise totally realistic reinterpretation, simply because some people might recognize the name and concept from an old cartoon (when everything else is being re-imagined) is kinda shaky logic.

JediTricks
12-24-2009, 04:48 PM
The cartoon is laden with sci-fi elements, the MASS Device is a little bit of a far out one but visually it's iconic, and it was the first big McGuffin in the show. I see what you mean though, going back to the drawing board on GI Joe only makes that more obvious when they don't change it as well.

El Chuxter
12-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Thing is, the MASS Device in the comic doesn't look at all like it does in the old cartoon! Everything's totally grounded in reality, even moreso than the original comic, but, suddenly, Destro's teleporting! It was the major complaint I've seen about the new continuity (though, personally, I didn't have a problem with it), and it doesn't make a lot of sense. Sort of the same way it doesn't make sense to take a book featuring classic versions of Transformers and mandate the artists draw them not as they used to appear, or even as their newer IDW designs, but as if they were hybrids with the movie versions. Who are they trying to appeal to? (I understand this is also the reason Ripcord will be a black guy when he debuts in the comic, to match up with the movie.)

I'm just concerned about their level of involvement with the continuation series. Will Dial-Tone suddenly be a woman, and Ripcord stop being a redheaded dude? Will the reformed Cobras have to stay evil (including, presumably, Billy)? The old comic pretty much bottomed out when Hasbro involvement was at its peak, like when the title changed and Snake Eyes became the main character (with a few soldiers as subplots), or (as I was reminded when Volume VII arrived earlier this week) suddenly the main storylines had to be about Zarana, Sergeant Slaughter, Cross-Country, and Serpentor.

JediTricks
12-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Probably. That's how big business works, it screws everything up.

clone157
02-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Has anyone asked Hasbro if they would consider putting the plug holes from mini-cons on their legends line? Or maybe designing a new hex screw to use on them so that they can be used as mini-cons as well? This would be a great throw back to the old decoys, and it would make the line more popular with those of us that overlook this subset of the line.

Tycho
02-17-2010, 05:21 PM
With a new Human Alliance figure announced (Jazz with Lennox) - when are we going to get more Decepticons in this line (like Barricade) but specifically Sideways with Alice and Rampage with Prisoner Ron Witwicky?

Also, could the Ultimate Class be used to bring out larger Human Alliance figures like Megatron (ROTF w. correct scale Scalpel, Doctor, Insecticon, etc.)? Ironhide with Lennox, Optimus Prime with Agent Simmons, Starscream with Prisoner Sam (new outfit), and Blackout with Deluxe Scorponok Repack?

Leader Class Blackout / Grindor?

Voyager Class BoneCrusher? Or Leader Class Bonecrusher?

El Chuxter
02-21-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't remember if we asked, but any chance we can see if the Warpath/Cosmos/Wheelie wave of Legends could be re-released, maybe even as a retailer exclusive set? I'd be happy to pay slightly more than retail and get the miniature Hot Rod to get those three.

Chaddymac
02-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I don't remember if we asked, but any chance we can see if the Warpath/Cosmos/Wheelie wave of Legends could be re-released, maybe even as a retailer exclusive set? I'd be happy to pay slightly more than retail and get the miniature Hot Rod to get those three.
I'm wondering when TFA Season 3 will be released on DVD.

JediTricks
02-21-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't remember if we asked, but any chance we can see if the Warpath/Cosmos/Wheelie wave of Legends could be re-released, maybe even as a retailer exclusive set? I'd be happy to pay slightly more than retail and get the miniature Hot Rod to get those three.It was asked at Botcon last year. They said no plans, but it's good to hear, and maybe in the future as an exclusive.

I'm wondering when TFA Season 3 will be released on DVD.That would be a question for Shout Factory, I think.

Chaddymac
02-22-2010, 10:17 AM
That would be a question for Shout Factory, I think.
They'd still know...

JediTricks
02-23-2010, 03:20 AM
True enough. If we get a new schedule, I'll allow it for a vote.

EDIT: Or I would, if the date for Season 3 & 4 as 1 set weren't April 20th. :p

Chaddymac
02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
True enough. If we get a new schedule, I'll allow it for a vote.

EDIT: Or I would, if the date for Season 3 & 4 as 1 set weren't April 20th. :p
Where'd you find that?!

JediTricks
02-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Where'd you find that?!
Preorder it now from Amazon.com for $25: http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Seasons-Three-Four-Anniversary/dp/B0031L5CJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1266962181&sr=8-1
:D

BTW, I got word through my little TF site that Hasbro is continuing the Q&A, they're working on a new schedule now.

Chaddymac
02-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Preorder it now from Amazon.com for $25: http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Seasons-Three-Four-Anniversary/dp/B0031L5CJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1266962181&sr=8-1
:D

BTW, I got word through my little TF site that Hasbro is continuing the Q&A, they're working on a new schedule now.
JT - I mean Transformers: Animated, not G1.

JediTricks
02-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Ugh, I need more sleep, didn't see the "A" in "TFA".

TF:A DVDs were released by Hasbro, not Shout Factory, so they're the only ones we CAN ask. Unfortunately, they've discontinued production on the previous seasons and the pilot's DVD, so it looks pretty bad. But yeah, that can go up for asking.

El Chuxter
02-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Seriously? Good lord, they don't keep current cartoons in print very long, do they? I'm going to have to stop waiting; a cursory look at Amazon reveals I'll probably never see season 2 in its entirety unless Cartoon Network starts re-running it. :(

JediTricks
03-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I wanted to finally watch it, I didn't care for the pilot so I missed the rest which looked a lot better when I finally saw clips at Botcon last year, and now it's this crap. The problem is Hasbro isn't a DVD publisher, they're just funning around in there so they don't know how it should work.

JediTricks
03-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Well, the schedule's in, and we've been dropped to 2 questions per round, and this round is due Sunday night. If you'd like to vote for an existing question or suggest another one, please do.

Chaddymac
03-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Well, the schedule's in, and we've been dropped to 2 questions per round, and this round is due Sunday night. If you'd like to vote for an existing question or suggest another one, please do.
I'm throwing my vote behind the "Where's Season 3 of TFA on DVD?" question. They canceled the show; they've practically cancelled a wave of unreleased figures/molds. Give me my damn DVD's.

Thank you.

JediTricks
03-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Sure thing.

El Chuxter
03-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Can we add something into that question about the previously released seasons? It makes it tough to wait until you have money for something if it's not going to be available very long.

JediTricks
03-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Ok, that makes sense. If I use it, which I think I will, then I'll include that.

Also, they threw in this set of guidelines over what could and couldn't be asked:

* Unfortunately, there are some things that we cannot comment publicly on due to confidentiality, legal or competitive reasons. Examples of these types of questions are ones that relate to the upcoming TV series or movies that have not had details announced yet, “When will X toy be made/redesigned/released?”, Hypothetical scenarios or “what if questions”, Sales/Cost Data, Product Idea Submissions, Potential Design/Redesign and Future Movie/Entertainment.

* With that said, that leaves a lot of room for a whole host of other discussion points. Topics that are open for discussion are things like Deco Decisions, Current Design Choices, Design Process/Development, Character choices and Redeco/Retooling choices. Also, questions pertaining to past and current Lore/Storyline, Line Strategy and Marketing are open for discussion too.

El Chuxter
03-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Wow, so we can ask about colors and marketing? If they don't want to do the Q&A, why don't they just cancel it? :D

JediTricks
03-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Apparently, it's fun to play softball. They chug the beers, and we throw the weak pitches.

Tycho
03-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Beers go with some other things, ya know.

New Question: Will there be a re-release of Leader Class Jetfire with a new sound effect of him farting and have the parachute launching feature added?

That would be awesome.

Actually, like the HA line, there could be the Bio-Function Line (BF Line) and it could also include a "lubricating BumbleBee" with which you add real water to engage the action-feature of him leaking on Simmons from the first movie.

This was an important plot element not yet represented by the movie line.

JediTricks
03-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Beers go with some other things, ya know.Like sloppy work.

New Question: Will there be a re-release of Leader Class Jetfire with a new sound effect of him farting and have the parachute launching feature added?

That would be awesome.

Actually, like the HA line, there could be the Bio-Function Line (BF Line) and it could also include a "lubricating BumbleBee" with which you add real water to engage the action-feature of him leaking on Simmons from the first movie.

This was an important plot element not yet represented by the movie line.I would appreciate it if you'd stop wasting my time within this particular resource thread. It's already a mess as is and erodes my soul to work on. You have all the rest of the forums to graffiti upon.

Tycho
03-06-2010, 02:05 AM
I would appreciate it if you'd stop wasting my time within this particular resource thread. It's already a mess as is and erodes my soul to work on. You have all the rest of the forums to graffiti upon.

Fair enough. Sorry that it bothered you. I know you put a lot of work into the Hasbro Q&A.

When stuff strikes me funny, I just like to pop-off with it spontaneously, hoping I make someone else at least smile.

Darth Metalmute
03-06-2010, 10:08 AM
From the limitiations to what you can really ask them, Tycho's question isn't too far in left field. Basically, you can ask them, "why did you do this figure last year?" and "Will you ever make a figure that farts?"

Why not just ask them; With the current global economy and environmental situations, how have you developed ways to make Transfromers that are both cost effective and Green?

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Fair enough. Sorry that it bothered you. I know you put a lot of work into the Hasbro Q&A.

When stuff strikes me funny, I just like to pop-off with it spontaneously, hoping I make someone else at least smile.Thanks, I appreciate it. It might be funny in other threads, but Hasbro has beaten me down too much, made my job here too difficult to have fun anymore with Q&A.

From the limitiations to what you can really ask them, Tycho's question isn't too far in left field. Basically, you can ask them, "why did you do this figure last year?" and "Will you ever make a figure that farts?" You guys would have to really overwhelm me with support on that, I wouldn't go forward with it on my own.

Why not just ask them; With the current global economy and environmental situations, how have you developed ways to make Transfromers that are both cost effective and Green?Hasbro has been planning a green initiative for a while now, announced it last year at SDCC. Packaging is going more green for now and they probably will have more to announce later this year (they had something at Toy Fair, but I don't know if anybody covered it). Right now, I think SW is ahead of TF in terms of green though, using renewable resources to bind items to packaging is one of the ways.

El Chuxter
03-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Out of curiosity, if you have any idea, why is it that both TF and Joe seem to have had insane restrictions placed on them as of this round, but Star Wars doesn't have quite as many?

Personally, I know they must hate answering with "no comment" as often as they have to, but it seems like it's good PR to answer as many questions as possible, even if with "no comment."

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 10:36 PM
I'll be honest, if you look at the answers we get from the SW team vs. the answers from the GI Joe and Transformers teams, it's clear the SW team is much more open and honest with the fans, they nurture their fanbase a lot better and I think the brand shows it at market. Maybe it's because the Hasbro SW team is already used to justifying itself to Lucasfilm licensing, or maybe Lucasfilm makes a resource they can more easily utilize. I didn't want this to sound like I'm knocking the other brands, but having been to all 3 of their SDCC panels in recent years, the SW team seems more eager to respond to their fans, to explain their choices and listen for new ideas.

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 10:53 PM
I have a question for the next round - would Hasbro be interested in doing an official or sponsoring an unofficial poll for the next round of Classic releases (which at this point I think is a "when" instead of an "if")?

There aren't any figures from any other era I'm interested in, (which is probably obvious :)), but there are a lot of G1 characters I'd love to get my hands on. Actually, though these are at the top of my list, any G1 figs not as yet updated in Classics would be awesome. And I'd love an opportunity to tell Hasbro that. I'm betting others would, too (whatever figures are at the top of their list). Otherwise, my only hope is for Fansproject to keep producing the figures I want (and, honestly, the fan-made stuff has been what's gotten me most excited recently...)I'm concerned that they might take this as "Product Idea Submissions" which is no-no, but I'm willing to keep it in the game for the vote.

Has anyone asked Hasbro if they would consider putting the plug holes from mini-cons on their legends line? Or maybe designing a new hex screw to use on them so that they can be used as mini-cons as well? This would be a great throw back to the old decoys, and it would make the line more popular with those of us that overlook this subset of the line.Interesting, albeit really late in the game. I'll consider it.

I'm wondering when TFA Season 3 will be released on DVD.
Can we add something into that question about the previously released seasons? It makes it tough to wait until you have money for something if it's not going to be available very long.This is another one of the potential questions.

Also up for the vote is my own question:

Why is it that Leader-class figures in the ROTF line have just 1 voice actor clip per figure, yet the Animated line had 3 lines of dialogue per Leader figure? It can't just be about paying actors, since ROTF Jetfire uses a different voice actor altogether. And why is it that all of these Leader-class ROTF figures single voice line are just them introduce themselves rather than having interesting movie dialogue or at least in-character styled dialogue? Even some of the little kid-themed ROTF toys do more talking than these $50 figures.

JediTricks
03-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Last few hours to voice a vote for an existing question or suggest a new one.

I think I'm going to scuttle this thread tonight after the round is done and start a new thread.

JediTricks
03-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Here's what I decided to send, and I think it may have been pretty risky to send 2 possible questions they'll squash at the same time but they felt like the ones that had the most support...

1) Unlike the G1 cartoon on DVD, the pilot and first 2 seasons of Transformers Animated were released on DVD directly by Hasbro. However, also unlike the G1 cartoon DVDs, the final season of TF Animated has never been released on DVD, despite season 2 being released 14 months ago and the final episode having aired nearly a year ago. Since then, Transformers Animated DVDs for seasons 1 and 2, as well as the pilot DVD, have long since gone out of print. Yet TF Animated has grown to be a fan favorite. Since Hasbro was publisher and distributor on these DVDs, the question goes to you: when will the season 3 DVD set finally be released? What has caused the delay, and is it possible to see the other DVDs in the series re-released so late-comers can also get their hands on the whole series, hopefully before the toys leave the shelves?

2) With the 3rd Transformers movie coming up next year, it likely means another break for TF Classics, so this seems like the best time to ask the following... Would Hasbro be willing to do an official fans choice poll that could be included in the next round of Classics that comes after the 3rd TF movie, or at least sponsoring a fans choice poll from the fan sites? This would be an exciting way to keep hardcore fans feeling involved in the line, and give Hasbro plenty of time to design the winning figure. Of course, fans would prefer to choose a brand new figure, but even deciding on a remold or repaint would be something. So, any chance we could get a fans choice poll?

Look for a new Q&A thread in a few minutes.