PDA

View Full Version : Random Body Science

Qui-Long Gone
09-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Question: does anyone else sneeze when the sun gets in their eyes? If I don't wear shades and come outside to a sunny day, I sneeze. Is there such a thing as a sun alergy?

Question: why when you're cold do you feel you need to pee? Does it have something do wo with cold temps pushing against the warm temps in your body?

Question: why do body parts "fall asleep"?

Question: what is a good natural energy drink?

Question: do eyebrow, nose, or ear hairs grow longer if you trim them?

pbarnard
09-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Question: does anyone else sneeze when the sun gets in their eyes? If I don't wear shades and come outside to a sunny day, I sneeze. Is there such a thing as a sun alergy?

Yes, there is a sun allergy. but it's not going to make you sneeze. Are there trees or flowers or weeds nearby?

Question: why when you're cold do you feel you need to pee? Does it have something do wo with cold temps pushing against the warm temps in your body?

As the bladder fills, pressure is exerted on a muscle. Pressure and Temperature are directly related (real oversimplification of the Boyle/Charles/Ideal Gas laws there).

My wheel house, finally a question about the physiology of the nervous system. It is due to what is called slow adaptation by proprioceptors in the muscles and various touch receptors (there are 4) in the body. They signal to say "i'm here" with the various limbs, however, constant over stimulation and the brain sort of filters it into the background noise (yes, I have a foot, it's there, I can feel the weight/pressure on it, no danger, sleep time). We can talk about the firing rate of the vaious cells and how things actually work, but I'd go Bear's Fundamentals of Neuoroscience text to show the patterns in receptor signaling into the CNS. You want to move, the motor neuron respons, but the sensory neurons aren't signalling anything important, and have to catch up/readapt to use. Luckily it's a fast process, as opposed to actual injury/recovery.

Define natural first.

Perception is tricky. If we can forget about our own limbs, what makes you think we can remember stuff about hair length?

Qui-Long Gone
09-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Yes, there is a sun allergy. but it's not going to make you sneeze. Are there trees or flowers or weeds nearby?

Not always, and I've done this for 25 plus years....in cars (sun through the windshield), during any season, in any climate, in every geography I've lived-in or visited (probably 2 dozen).

*In cars it's realy bad because the sun gets more intense through that window.

Darth Jax
09-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Sun allergies exist as already mentioned. You sneeze with bright lights (any bright light, not just the sun). It's a simple reflex arc in some people, thought to be because of how closely some of the 12 cranial nerves are packed together.

It's not just cold that'll make you need to pee. Spend some time with a workout in a pool and see what happens.

All hairs grow a certain length before dying. The amount of time that hair follicles grow before dying increases with age. Trimming/shaving does not increase the length of the hairs that will grow back.

Qui-Long Gone
09-26-2008, 01:42 PM
the 12 cranial nerves are packed together

Will that packing give me extra powers too? Like reading minds or something?

*I only sneeze in the sun, and I'm in bright light alot because of theatre....

Darth Jax
09-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Will that packing give me extra powers too? Like reading minds or something?

sorry, only gives you the ability to hear, see, smell, taste and have muscular control over your head. but since it also makes it possible to develop shingles, maybe they aren't all that important.

pbarnard
09-29-2008, 09:39 AM
sorry, only gives you the ability to hear, see, smell, taste and have muscular control over your head. but since it also makes it possible to develop shingles, maybe they aren't all that important.

Shingles is just a trait that is applied by the virus that adapted to re-infect you at the book ends of life, usually. Although, it is very useful to see a person infected with shingles to visualize the sympathetic and parasympathetic innervatios.