PDA

View Full Version : Hasbor sucks

dragonclaw76707
09-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Why does Hasbro keep dropping the ball? If you are going to make figures, can we at least get good figures? How about some attention to collectors instead of just anklebiters?
Example: How can you make the greatest thing on the planet (AT-TE) and have such a massive design flaw (legs popping off if you touch it)?
Force unleashed: With all the infinite characters that would be so sweet, why stick with the basic crap you have?
Elite forces: why make a mandalorian pack if you have 66% just clonetroopers and a few mandalorians (two with no articulation)
Latest Legacy waves: hey lets have two waves that are completely repaints and figures that were in the series right before this one.
Design team at Hasbro needs to be slapped!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Er, uh, welcome to the forums. :D

clone157
09-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Why does Hasbro keep dropping the ball? If you are going to make figures, can we at least get good figures? How about some attention to collectors instead of just anklebiters?
Example: How can you make the greatest thing on the planet (AT-TE) and have such a massive design flaw (legs popping off if you touch it)?
Force unleashed: With all the infinite characters that would be so sweet, why stick with the basic crap you have?
Elite forces: why make a mandalorian pack if you have 66% just clonetroopers and a few mandalorians (two with no articulation)
Latest Legacy waves: hey lets have two waves that are completely repaints and figures that were in the series right before this one.
Design team at Hasbro needs to be slapped!!

The worst part is that they chose a horrible sculpt to repaint in some cases. For example, they used one of the crappiest bodies for the Jodo Kast figure. I would not have minded a VOTC Boba Fett repaint just as I didn't mind it for the animated premier Fett, But now Hasbro won't go back and fix this atrocity for at least 4 years after they give fans their precious Ice Cream Maker Guy (Willrow Hood). Fellow collectors, we don't need every extra to be immortalized in plastic. Some times we should temper our wishes for these background characters for better and newer representations of crappy figures that we already have. I would be happy if Hasbro were to throw out all of their inferior molds for figures such as this Mandalorian sculpt, the Commander Cody's legs, the republic commandos legs, the torso from Commander Bakara (the original not the new battlepack form). This will help us and our favorite toy line from getting bumped to the backburner for things like the new GI Joe line (kinda like what happened back in the '80's.

Beast
09-25-2008, 07:26 PM
You're argument loses all legitimacy when you can't seem to spell Hasbro correctly.

Not that it was a very legitimate argument anyway, given the use of the word "Suck".

Force Unleashed: You realize they have to design the figures while the game is still being produced. It's just like designing figures for movies. Especially given the original planned release of the of the game. They covered all the major characters and did a pretty good job on the whole with the figures they did make.

FundingMyAddiction
09-26-2008, 01:09 AM
You're argument loses all legitimacy when you can't seem to spell Hasbro correctly.

Not that it was a very legitimate argument anyway, given the use of the word "Suck".

Force Unleashed: You realize they have to design the figures while the game is still being produced. It's just like designing figures for movies. Especially given the original planned release of the of the game. They covered all the major characters and did a pretty good job on the whole with the figures they did make.

I agree with the bit about spelling and the argument itself.

I have to disagree with you on the Force Unleashed thing. After playing most of the game, there are some characters that are begging to be made into figures. The jump trooper was worthless and is barely seen in the game. I want a Kazdan Paratus! I want the blue royal guards! They would make for infinitely better figures than the jump trooper (which looks very much like the EVO trooper). The Apprentice didn't even get released on his own card. You have to buy the Evolutions pack, which I personally didn't mind, but others might.

pbarnard
09-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Plus, complaining about exclusives really isn't as much Hasbro as it is Hasbro and the place releasing the exclusive. First they have to find a carrier, than to save costs, there will be a high degree of reusing parts. And the whole argument is out the window, Hasbro is first and foremost a toy company for children (plus SW toys based on age recommendations are slightly above the anklebiter range who'd be better off with Galactic heroes). That is in their mission statement, that is how they sell themselves to investors.

DarkArtist
09-26-2008, 01:09 PM
ouch that's some harsh marks in regards to Hasbro. While I'll admit that their decision making on which figures to make, which molds to use and pricing as well as pack-ins might be weird to say that downright suck is harsh.

For me I feel that even though most of the SW merchandise today is purchased by collectors we still need to remember first and foremost that it is a toy.

Plus Hasbro has given us some of our most requested figures to date, 3 piece helmet Darth Vader, torture rack Han Solo, Yarna, the future Willow Hood. I think Hasbro is doing a good job with getting product to the public.

I know i have said it many times in the past so I won't go into too much detail on it but this is one of the reasons why I think Hasbro should have an online collector's club where the exclusives can be ordered direct from Hasbro and the frustration of trying to locate them in a store will somewhat disappear.

Qui-Long Gone
09-26-2008, 01:49 PM
I thought Hasbor was a play on words? :yes:

I think many of the Hasbor figs are excellent: anything trooper, Vadar, Ewok, Jabba Palace, droids.

I think Hasbor struggles with the Skywalker family, Solo, articulation when it comes to Jedi, and those goofy comic 2-packs. Also, I've yet to be impressed with the evolution figures.

I have never begged for expanded universe figs, or figs based on games, so I don't really care who collects them and why they are made. Those are always pegwarmers around here.

I would like to see Hasbro include stands with every fig, but that's a preference, not a design flaw....

Tenric78
09-26-2008, 03:48 PM
HASBRO? MORE LIKE HASBLOW! GET IT?

Uh seriously, yeah they are a big toy company that has hits and misses. They can't please everyone. I think that the force unleashed characters were selected to try to appeal to a diverse amount of people and face it, troop builders will sell over many one shot characters.

bigbarada
09-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Considering the fact that Hasbro has kept the line alive through movie years and non-movie years since 1995, I think they are doing a great job overall.

Of course, they're not perfect and it's a little childish to expect them to be.

Neuroleptic
09-27-2008, 12:02 PM
I'd have to say that Hasbro dose hav its moments when you wonder, "Why god, why?"

But to out right say they totaly suck is a little bit of a stretch.

Many collectors like collecting the background characters. Usualy, atleast in these here parts, the figures that rot on the shelves are almost always the ones that have been re-made a million and a half times (such as darth Vader). But the ones like Yarna and CZ-3 are rediculously hard to find.

Yes, the AT-TE has a desighn flaw. But as I understand it has been fixed in the more recent ones, and you can go on line to Hasbro's customerservice, and they will send you new legs that correct the problem, or you can look up fairly cheap ways of correcting it. That's good customerservice.

They made them that way to corespond with child safety laws, and it just went a little farther than they intended. But they corrected the problem.

Speaking of Hasbro's customer service, they have been verry good to help me out. I'v had no problem getting new sticker sheets for example, when I got the wrong sheet with my vehicle.

The Force Unleashed is actualy a preaty interesting subject, and I think with the exception of Battle Damaged Darth Vader, they did great with these. They havn't pegwarmed much at all, with the exception of a hand full of Juno Eclipse since I think they may have simply over estimated demand for her.

Even then, she makes a great pilot for my Imperial Shuttle.

I could keep going, but I think others already have.

cookiemonster
09-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Like everyone has said Hasbro is a Toy company first and formost, so they will sell things that will make the most money and cost them the least money, hence the Hut and Carkoon Pit UBP's people are laping these up - I aint because I cant stand many sculpts past the ROTS sculpts then I am real choose until it gets to the TSC Line and beyond that.

The BMF and AT-TE both have design flaws and strangely enough its both in the legs, so at least they are consistant.

As for the TFU figures, yeah they could have done diferent ones, but I think they did great with what they did do (apart from the Vader and the Shadow Guard and the Multi Packs), but basic figure wise they had some great choices - Rahm Kota, Maris Brood, Juno Eclipse, EVO Trooper, Jump Trooper, The 3 Pack of Starkiller, all of these were good characters.

So saying Hasbro sucks is a little harsh, not by much going on this years offerings, however looking at it overall, then it is majorly harsh.

dragonclaw76707
09-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Basically all I am saying, is that Hasbro really needs to consider collectors as a main target. Maybe I'm just really picky but I can't see pit droids and battle droids, who wont stand up, part of the fans choice. Also the guy who had the 1/2 second shot in TPM, with the jar jar altercation, is he really necesary? And I have to agree with clone157, Jodo is a terrible mold. They might pull some great ones out of their rears (Darth Revan) but alot are not so great.

pbarnard
09-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Basically all I am saying, is that Hasbro really needs to consider collectors as a main target.

But they aren't. EVER. Their corporate mission statement says they target products for children, have a history of doing so, and will do so in the future. You want to change that? Get Buffet/Gates type money, hostilely take over the company. I don't know, but anyone out there know of the names of companies that are "collector" focused and are publically traded?

Qui-Long Gone
09-29-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm glad Hasbor doesn't consider the collectors to be their main target audience....we'd have way too many clone trooper variants!

I think the VOTC line was collector oriented, and the EU figures too. If you make a good toy, you can have a good collector's item....that's why some of us still have our old SW figs, GI Joe figs, and Transformers!

bigbarada
09-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Basically all I am saying, is that Hasbro really needs to consider collectors as a main target. Maybe I'm just really picky but I can't see pit droids and battle droids, who wont stand up, part of the fans choice. Also the guy who had the 1/2 second shot in TPM, with the jar jar altercation, is he really necesary? And I have to agree with clone157, Jodo is a terrible mold. They might pull some great ones out of their rears (Darth Revan) but alot are not so great.

Your complaints are nothing new and we've been through all of this before.

It would be market suicide for Hasbro to focus this line solely on collectors, because for every ten collectors you find who want EU figures instead of that alien from Jabba's Palace with only 1/2 second of screentime, there are ten other collectors who want that Jabba's Palace alien and never want to see another EU figure made ever again.

Collectors' wants and goals are too varied for us to be a viable market for Hasbro. Hasbro knows what kids like and has been very successful at providing that for decades now. I don't think any of us are qualified to tell Hasbro how to do their job. They've kept the Star Wars line alive and thriving for 13 years now, I think it's safe to say that they know what they are doing.

Mvader91
09-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm glad Hasbor doesn't consider the collectors to be their main target audience....we'd have way too many clone trooper variants!

I think the VOTC line was collector oriented, and the EU figures too. If you make a good toy, you can have a good collector's item....that's why some of us still have our old SW figs, GI Joe figs, and Transformers!
To add to that if everyone remember VOTC sat on shelves and were always clearenced!

Qui-Long Gone
09-29-2008, 02:09 PM
True, how many times will you pay $12 for a Greedo with felt?

Those VOTC figs turn out just find as regular packs....can't wait for the repack of the snowtrooper! I wish they'd do the same for the Han Solo.

Devo
09-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Your complaints are nothing new and we've been through all of this before.

It would be market suicide for Hasbro to focus this line solely on collectors, because for every ten collectors you find who want EU figures instead of that alien from Jabba's Palace with only 1/2 second of screentime, there are ten other collectors who want that Jabba's Palace alien and never want to see another EU figure made ever again.

Collectors' wants and goals are too varied for us to be a viable market for Hasbro. Hasbro knows what kids like and has been very successful at providing that for decades now. I don't think any of us are qualified to tell Hasbro how to do their job. They've kept the Star Wars line alive and thriving for 13 years now, I think it's safe to say that they know what they are doing.

Good post. Its true there are a number of annoying things, and subdivisions to those where one collectors annoyance is another collectors happiness. But the line is still going - Hasbro should be credited for that.

And I for one am grateful for their willingness to turn blink&miss characters into figures and often damned good figures at that.

Not that I don't complain - just a moment ago I had another go at that crappy VOTC Han that too many people, including Hasbro, seem to love.

NerfTW
09-30-2008, 01:40 PM
I have to disagree with you on the Force Unleashed thing. After playing most of the game, there are some characters that are begging to be made into figures. The jump trooper was worthless and is barely seen in the game. I want a Kazdan Paratus! I want the blue royal guards! They would make for infinitely better figures than the jump trooper (which looks very much like the EVO trooper). The Apprentice didn't even get released on his own card. You have to buy the Evolutions pack, which I personally didn't mind, but others might.

Again, you miss the entire point. The figures were originally supposed to be released in the fall of last year. This means they were sculpted the previous year. That's two years of development time for the game. Things can change DRASTICALLY in two years. Entire levels can be cut, and what was a minor sequence could be promoted to a major event.

Look at Maris Brood. What the hell was the purpose of her anyways? Clearly, whatever role she originally filled was whittled down considerably, possibly due to time constraints. Rahm Kota is shown in concept art as attacking Starkiller in the bar, but in the game, he has no idea that it's Starkiller at that point. (debateable, though)

The Jumptrooper may have been a major enemy, given it's original name of "Raxis Prime Trooper". Kazden Paratus might have been on the chopping block when they made the figures. Nobody wants to make a figure of someone cut completely from the game.

As for Shaak Ti, they've said she's coming out next year, and there could be any number of reasons they pushed her back, not the least which might have been that they probably hadn't nailed down anything resembling an outfit two years ago.

bigbarada
09-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Again, you miss the entire point. The figures were originally supposed to be released in the fall of last year. This means they were sculpted the previous year. That's two years of development time for the game. Things can change DRASTICALLY in two years. Entire levels can be cut, and what was a minor sequence could be promoted to a major event.

Look at Maris Brood. What the hell was the purpose of her anyways? Clearly, whatever role she originally filled was whittled down considerably, possibly due to time constraints. Rahm Kota is shown in concept art as attacking Starkiller in the bar, but in the game, he has no idea that it's Starkiller at that point. (debateable, though)

The Jumptrooper may have been a major enemy, given it's original name of "Raxis Prime Trooper". Kazden Paratus might have been on the chopping block when they made the figures. Nobody wants to make a figure of someone cut completely from the game.

As for Shaak Ti, they've said she's coming out next year, and there could be any number of reasons they pushed her back, not the least which might have been that they probably hadn't nailed down anything resembling an outfit two years ago.

That's just the nature of the business. It's been happening since the original trilogy days.

There's roughly a one-year lead time for action figure development. So it was 1981-82 when they started development on the first 17 ROTJ figures that would hit shelves in May 1983. The next wave of 1984 figures started development around 1982-83.

So, figures like General Madine, Klaatu, Ree-Yees, Pruneface, were all supposed to have larger roles in the film (especially General Madine), but when their scenes were cut or edited down to almost nothing, Kenner had no choice but to continue the development process and release the figures. Same situation with the B-Wing vehicle.

We saw the same situation with the Prequels with figures like the Ep2 Nikto Jedi and Ep3's Mon Mothma figure.

That's just going to happen, there's really no way around it. The project is going to evolve and some characters are going to fall by the wayside. You can't blame that on Hasbro.

clone157
09-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Listen folks, Dragonclaw does bring up some good points. Several figures of late do lack something either in articulation or the simple fact that they could have used better existing scults. Evan Piell and yaddle could have used a better Yoda body or that of the jedi Tsui choi. As I mentioned earlier jodo could have used a better boba sculpt. Furthermore, if you build a line around the collector wants kids will definitely follow because they will be treated to a better overall class of toy. Let's face it we were the kids of yesteryear and are still collecting because of the advancements of the sculpts and overall technology. However, in the past we also got the pleasure of seeing more ships and playsets that expanded the imagination and these figures roles in it. We, not necessarily the current kids out there, have been collecting for over the last decade, heck, the last three decades, and we feel an ownership of the line. It would be nice to maybe see something that is made for us older children other than lightsabers with an older age requirement so that we could say, "This company respects the buying power that my age group represents." We can see some of the respect coming to us in the form of the BMF and AT-TE and up coming battlepacks that are featuring not only figures, but also accessories to flesh out these grand ships.

Qui-Long Gone
10-01-2008, 02:20 PM
I vow to Hasbor that if they ever make my ideal Solo or throne room duel Luke, I will never complain about anything they make again! :thumbsup:

NerfTW
10-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Listen folks, Dragonclaw does bring up some good points. Several figures of late do lack something either in articulation or the simple fact that they could have used better existing scults. Evan Piell and yaddle could have used a better Yoda body or that of the jedi Tsui choi.

Yaddle and Evan are repaints of really old Phantom Menace figures, not new sculpts.

bigbarada
10-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Yaddle and Evan are repaints of really old Phantom Menace figures, not new sculpts.

Actually they're from the "Saga" collection from 2003-2004, so they're not that old.

clone157
10-01-2008, 09:40 PM

That's what I said, my point is that thay could have used different sculpts so it seems like a new fig.

Jargo
10-02-2008, 08:46 AM
two words, 'cost efficient'.

that is all.

NerfTW
10-02-2008, 09:05 AM
That's what I said, my point is that thay could have used different sculpts so it seems like a new fig.

But then, and try to follow me here, it wouldn't be the "repaint" wave of cheap figures designed to fill in a hole in production and get a few fan requests out there.

The entire wave is re-released figures. Dooku is just one of the many recast in clear plastic, the Engineer is a Death Star Gunner repaint, the Coruscant trooper is direct from the battlepack, and I'll give you the Jodo Kast complaint, that was probably due to the better molds being used for the two comic packs.

The purpose wasn't to release a "new" sculpt, that would be for a regular wave. The purpose of the wave was to re-release cheap fan requests.

cookiemonster
10-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Actually I think the purpose was to get the Death Star Droid out there that everyone has wanted, and they have done a fairly decent job, compared to the POTF2 one.

The reason the B.A.D. Sandcrawler droid didnt come with re-paint figures, is the fact that the figure was already created (or should I say the parts were).

Dont get me wrong I loathe the re-paint wave and loathe any of the old sculpts they use, however I can see their logic.