PDA

View Full Version : New to collecting sideshow

Neuroleptic
09-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi! Well, I found out my wife is getting me one of the side show figures for X-mas. It's either going to be Mace Windu, Leia as Boush, or Qui Gon Jin.

I'm betting Mace, but it's just a guess. Since my adopted daughter is black, I have been trying to add a bit of ethnic variety to my collection of late. Something that I have noticed is rather hard to do, now that I think about it. But that's a different topic.

I have noticed on E-bay that these figures either seem to go for about 50 bucks or over 100.

So, what are some of the good ones? And, what's special about sideshow's figures?

Reason I ask, is because I'll probalby get enough moolah after X-mass to get another one. Since I only have room for two, I'd like to make a good choice before buying one. What do yall think?

Jaff
09-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Here's my fav's

Qui Gonn Jinn
Palpatine 2 pack
Luke Jedi Knight
Pathfinder Rebel Commando (the other two are great, but they kind of resemble GI Joe figs. Nik is really unique and quickly identified in ROTJ)

You have to get Jabba if it can be afforded. It's an awesome set, but if you get it you'll need the Crumb set and maybe the Bubo set. If you ask me you gotta get them all. It's just a lot of bucks.

Honerable mentions
Plo Koon and Kit are cool
Darth Maul is great, but it's a been-there-done-that-12"
Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi & Han Solo smuggler has a nice likeness

I was dissapointed in these 12", but only in Sideshow standards. They are still great compared to older 12" and I wouldn't part with any of my Sideshow.

Aayla's outfit is really flimsy and she is painted too dark for her blue skin.
Although Anakin, Obi-Wan and Mace have awesome outfits I wasn't too excited about their facial sculps. Don't get me wrong they look good, but their likeness is not perfect.

Neuroleptic
09-25-2008, 10:10 PM
:D So just about all of em are good.

Honest truth, I'v never even seen a Sideshow figure in person. This is kinda my wife's idea since she wants to get me something that will stand out in my collection.

So my other question is a little basic, but I'm curious.

What's the big appeal of these? How poseable are they? How fragile? Are they worth what they cost? How well do they stand on there own?

JediTricks
09-25-2008, 11:05 PM
The best qualities of Sideshow 12":

Headsculpt (when it works)
Paint (when it works)
Accessories
Articulation (often a little loose, occasionally a frozen joint, but tons of range)
Costume/Tailoring (more the earlier figs, but some are still good, have to be choosy)
Packaging (yes, it's nice packaging)

The best figures from the line IMO (not really a particular order):

Bespin Luke
Darth Maul
Asajj Ventress
ANH Obi-Wan
ANH Han
ROTS Obi-Wan
Boushh Leia
ANH Leia (hotly debated, bad materials for costume and total disagreement on likeness)
Qui-Gon
ROTJ Luke

Stay as far away from ESB Han though, that figure suuuuucks!

sergiurusu
09-26-2008, 05:17 AM
I'd say to wait for Vader and stormie, they are iconic!

Neuroleptic
09-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Which is exactly why they'll be the two that'll cost way too much :D

sergiurusu
09-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Then go for just one of them, especially Vader. Star Wars is about Darth Vader, it is his story. ;)