PDA

View Full Version : Nhl 08-09

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2008, 10:42 AM
The season started already? :confused: And the Pens are leading the league! International starts to leagues are weird.

Rocketboy
10-05-2008, 12:13 PM
The season started already? :confused: And the Pens are leading the league! International starts to leagues are weird.Not weird. Just stupid.

Engineernerd
10-05-2008, 12:55 PM
I thought those were just exhibition games. :(

CaptainSolo1138
10-05-2008, 11:23 PM
And the Pens are leading the league!Not any more. They have the fewest points now and are in last.

I like the "goodwill" face that the NHL puts on for these games, but I despise the fact that the true intention is just Bettman's testing of the market to see if an expansion of the NHL to Europe be viable.

Whatevs. Its great to have hockey back. Between preseason and regular season games this weekend, I was able to catch five games (Wings/Leafs, Sens/Pens x2, Lightning/Rags x2). I'm very excited for Thursday's "official" start of the season.

Rocketboy
10-06-2008, 12:31 AM
I saw part of the Pens/Sens game on Vs. today and the arena was only half full!
Hope the NHL was paying attention and cuts this nonsense out.

Start a f*cking European Hockey League if you want to expand and play a few exhibition games against each other.

CaptainSolo1138
10-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Start a f*cking European Hockey League if you want to expand and play a few exhibition games against each other.
That's a great idea. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kontinental_Hockey_League)

Though their only affiliation with the NHL lies in their stealing of contracts.

Rocketboy
10-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Smart*ss.
I meant a Euro League created/run by the NHL, rather than attempt to expand in other countries.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Smart*ss.
I meant a Euro League created/run by the NHL, rather than attempt to expand in other countries.Like the WLONAIH? (World League of North American Ice Hockey).

But the Penguins can't be in last, as there are several teams yet to have a single point so far. If the playoffs started today (:rolleyes: ), they'd be the #3 seed in the East. :p

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-13-2008, 01:59 AM
I agree, the NHL needs to stop experimenting with games held in Europe. Exhibition games are fine but a game that counts in the regular season is pushing it. Many Europeans follow the NHL due to the high percentage of Euro players in the league, and with the advent of technology, they can catch just about every game.

I appreciate the NHL reaching out and its goodwill gesture, but I don't like the idea.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Pens are hot (six in a row), but due to the Rangers having a better overall record, they're still only in 2nd in the Atlantic, 4th seed in the East.

Slicker
11-16-2008, 01:15 PM
The Wings are back in there Stanley Cup form again. Hossa was DEFINITELY a good acquisition.

I'm hopin' to see a Wings game when I finally go home next year. Here's keepin' my fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
11-16-2008, 09:26 PM
The Wings are seeing huge competition right now in the West from the Sharks, but I see that tailing off by the first of the year when the law of averages takes over and Detroit starts pulling away.

Unfortunately, the same goes for the Bruins. They're a great story right now but I don't think Tim Thomas has a whole season worth of heroics in him. But I will carry my Milan Lucic man-crush for at least the remainder of the season.:love:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-17-2008, 12:25 AM
The Wings are back in there Stanley Cup form again. Hossa was DEFINITELY a good acquisition.His playoff run in Pittsburgh last season was a nice tryout for you guys, eh? :pleased:

Rocketboy
11-17-2008, 12:47 AM
His playoff run in Pittsburgh last season was a nice tryout for you guys, eh? :pleased:And he came to his senses and saw what a winner looked like.

Slicker
11-17-2008, 08:15 AM
And he came to his senses and saw what a winner looked like.buuuuuurrrrrn he got u gud bich!

He was definitely a nice pick up though. It's amazing how the Wings were able to afford him even with all of the talent on the team. Maybe he really didn't care about money and just wanted to win a Cup.

Rocketboy
11-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Maybe he really didn't care about money and just wanted to win a Cup.I'm pretty sure he got the best of both worlds.

The Wings may not have much left in the tank after this year. GM Ken Holland said that it may be impossible to keep many of these guys in Detroit due to the talent/price.

TeeEye7
12-23-2008, 07:31 PM
This was kinda funny.........(with apologies to BCJ)

Especially if you're a Buffalo fan.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0se1QBBOso&NR=1

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Hmm, TeeEye, I've viewed about 300 Sabre videos on youtube and haven't seen that one posted, even though it looks to be over 2 years old. Thanks for the find.

The Eastern Conference is really tight this year. Pittsburgh, Montreal and Tampa are two teams who many thought would do better but have yet come to meet expectations. Boston is playing lights out hockey and may be the team to emerge from the East.

San Jose has a stellar home record and may finally be the team that they were pegged to be for the last 5 seasons. Detroit is always the sleeping giant no matter how many people may overlook them and of course Chicago has impressed many.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-25-2008, 11:12 AM
The Eastern Conference is really tight this year. Pittsburgh, Montreal and Tampa are two teams who many thought would do better but have yet come to meet expectations. Boston is playing lights out hockey and may be the team to emerge from the East.Well, the Pens turned it on late last year. I know they had a tough stretch (with your #1 goalie out, it'll always be tough) recently, but down to the #7 seed? And with the top scorers in the league? It's early.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Outdoor hockey again.

CaptainSolo1138
01-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Outdoor hockey again.
Featuring Ty Conklin again.

One helluva game.

Slicker
01-03-2009, 01:22 AM
I really wanted to see this game. It's good to see the Wings won it but it's even better that the attendance was so high practically guaranteeing another outdoor game next year. Let's just hope they keep the outdoor games to a minimum so as to keep them something special instead of diluting them like they're trying to do with Monday Night Football and the Thanksgiving games.

DarthBrandon
01-03-2009, 09:48 AM
As the season is half way through, I'd like to post the top 3 from each division & predict the Cup winner in advance.

From the Northeast we have:

Boston
Montreal
Buffalo

From the Atlantic we have:

Philadelphia
Rangers
Jersey

From the Southeast we have:

Washington
Carolina
Florida

From the Western we have:

Detroit
Chicago
Columbus

From the Pacific we have:

San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix

From the Northwest we have:

Calgary
Vancouver
Colorado

Now the top five in the 2 conference standings are:

Eastern:

Boston
Wash Caps
Phili
NYR
Montreal

Western:

San Jose
Detroit
Calgary
Chicago
Vancouver

That being said, if Boston can continue playing the way they have, they will win their conference providing Montreal doesn't come out of it's Slumber.

San Jose is a safe bet for the Western while you can't count out Detroit or Chicago I think the Sharks could go far this year.

Boston Vs Sharks (Boston in 6)
If Montreal takes out the Bruins or Detroit / Chicago take out the Sharks we could see something like this:

Montreal Vs Chicago (Montreal in 6) or
Montreal Vs Detroit (Montreal in 7) Both are far fetched. As a Leafs fan I plan on the golf season starting early.

Rocketboy
01-03-2009, 10:13 AM
One word: Repeat.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I think that the Penguins should make the playoffs (although they're not too strong right now), but perhaps only win a series or stretch the first round to seven games. To be honest (that is the best policy, so I've heard), I pretty much only follow Pittsburgh, so I'm biased. But there's no homers posting here about their faves, so it's all good, eh? :D

CaptainSolo1138
01-03-2009, 11:45 PM
One word: Repeat.
Word.

While San Jose is a problem, Detroit is far too deep a team this year to not make it to at least the Cup finals.

The East, IMO, is still open. A couple key injuries or a late season slump and Boston could easily tumble. Montreal has played like carp thus far but wouldn't surprise me if they made a late charge.

And never count out the Leafs.:beard:

Rocketboy
01-04-2009, 01:15 AM
I don't think a slump will hurt Boston too much. They're a good team and could probably rebound nicely.
The Wings hit a major slump last January and things turned out pretty good.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Pittsburgh's back in as the #8 seed right now, but Crosby's leg injury could either repeat what happened last year, when Malkin went off, or hurt the team's chances of keeping that playoff spot (or perhaps even moving up some slots?).

Bel-Cam Jos
04-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Wow! Almost three months without a pro hockey post?!? :confused: What, do people think only the Cup Finals run counts, or something? :rolleyes:

So, all 16 teams are determined, only seeding to be finalized over these few remaining games.

DarthQuack
04-11-2009, 12:32 PM
The beards will be growing soon....I feel bad for the resident Detroit fans though.....they're gonna have to shave in a couple weeks. :thumbsup:

Slicker
04-11-2009, 07:05 PM
The beards will be growing soon....I feel bad for the resident Detroit fans though.....they're gonna have to shave in a couple weeks. :thumbsup:Wishful thinking. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
I've heard it rumored that Wings fans are going to throw wolf shirts onto the ice instead of octopus this year.

Rocketboy
04-11-2009, 07:15 PM
I've heard it rumored that Wings fans are going to throw wolf shirts onto the ice instead of octopus this year.You're half right - the octopi will be wearing the wolf shirts.

Slicker
04-11-2009, 07:36 PM
You're half right - the octopi will be wearing the wolf shirts.That would be utterly epic.

Rocketboy
04-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Hockey rules from the Boston Bruins
#1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cr89xbl26g)
#2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7YAfb1Yrbc)
#3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRDuNwXeOzE)

DarthQuack
04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I hope they lose again to the Habs in the first round :)

Rocketboy
04-12-2009, 11:09 PM
I hope the Habs get swept for that All-Star voting crap their fans pulled.

TeeEye7
04-13-2009, 02:15 AM
What about this with wolf shirts?

Rocketboy
04-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Just outside of the pic is Wolf Shirt.
Olivia Munn and the other chick are putting their names on the waiting list. The list is rumored to be several miles long.

DarthQuack
04-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Playoff times and channels.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31386

Hoping the Rangers can make some noise....0-3-1 vs Washington, but haven't played them since early February....could be a sleeper. Also like Calgary in the West.

Picks for the 1st.

Montreal
New York
New Jersey
Philadelphia

San Jose
Columbus :)
Vancouver
Calgary

DarthBrandon
04-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Here are my pics for the first round:

Boston
Washington
Carolina
Pittsburgh
San Jose
Vancouver
Chicago
Columbus

Bel-Cam Jos
04-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Since we're all sittin' and pickin'...

WESTERN C.
S. J.
Det.
Van.
Cal.

EASTERN C.
Was.
Pit.
Car.
Bos.

Rocketboy
04-14-2009, 12:26 AM
East:
(1) Boston over (8) Montreal in 5
(2) Washington over (7) New York in 6
(3) New Jersey over (6) Carolina in 6
(5) Philadelphia over (4) Pittsburgh in 6

West:
(1) San Jose over (8) Anaheim in 5
(2) Detroit over (7) Columbus in 5
(6) St. Louis over (3) Vancouver in 6
(8) Calgary over (4) Chicago in 6

Bel-Cam Jos
04-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Penguins win their first. Being up 2-0 before going on the road would surely be easier for 'em. But I will guarantee that they will win every one of their games in this series the state of PA. :p

DarthQuack
04-17-2009, 05:32 AM
Rangers stole one from the Capitals! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
04-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Rangers take the first 2! My beard is starting to slowly bloom! :)

Rocketboy
04-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Rangers take the first 2!As did the reigning Stanley Cup Champions.

Slicker
04-20-2009, 04:00 AM
And the President's Cup Sharks are down 0-2!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2009, 08:30 PM
The Penguins just plain ol' got beat up. They looked out of sync most of the game, especially in the 3rd. But there's still at least two left to play.

DarthQuack
04-20-2009, 10:12 PM
And the Rangers fall back to earth tonight.... :(

DarthQuack
04-23-2009, 11:23 AM
And the Rangers are up 3-1! Come on blueshirts!!!!

Darth Metalmute
04-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Just found this thread. Didn't realize it had been here all season.

I would love to see another Wings-Pens final, but even though the Pens are up 3-1, they have not looked good in doing so.

The Wings on the otherhand look better than their Championship run from last year. I know its against the Jackets, but Mason has been one of the top goalies this season and they put 12 past him in 3 games.

Usually, the team with the hot goalie wins, and if you go by that, it will be the Rangers and the Wings in the finals. That would make the second straight season the finals would be a good matchup for the NHL.

Darth Metalmute
04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slicker
04-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Not to jinx him but Ozzie has looked pretty good (with the exception of game 4). Hopefully they can cruise through the rest of the playoffs and hoist the cup again!!

Darth Metalmute
04-24-2009, 09:33 AM
He looked injured from that hit he took in game 3 last night. That second period he allowed goals that he typically stops when he is not on top of his game. They probably shot him up during the second intermission that why he played much better in the third. Although he wasn't really tested. Defense stepped up big in the third.

Hopefully the 8 days off will heal him.

Rocketboy
04-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Why do the Red Wings have to turn it up to 11 every year at this time? Now I have to wait another week or so before I can watch them play again...*sigh*

It can't be easy being the best team in all of professional sports for 18 years and running...

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Can't say that these playoffs are of the most exciting lot, but there are several interesting stories/sidenotes to many series.

*I can see that the cancer known as Sean Avery is back to his old hijinks. One could tell that Torterella did not want him on his team but was forced to take him. He had some unkind words about him prior to him even joining the Rangers. But without Avery yesterday the Rangers lost so for Torts, this is no easy decision.

*The Wings look their usual dynamite self. Osgood didn't look like the Osbad he was all season. But for the sake of the sport, the Wings do not need another Cup.

*San Jose is a team built for regular season success but post season failures. The Ducks are a team built for regular season failures but post season success. Is anyone really surprised that the Sharks are choking?

*Vancouver looks good, and Luongo looks scary good.

*Montreal did not deserve to get into the playoffs. They had a stellar first half of the season but limped into the postseason and were in turn creamed by the B's who look like the best team in the East.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-26-2009, 10:40 AM
The Flyers got two quick and bad (for Pittsburgh) goals to end the 1st, then another in the 2nd. It looked bad, then the Pens score five unanswered to end the game and the series. Gut check time! :pleased: Now it's either on to Boston or New Jersey (have to wait for those to end, and since I believe Boston gets the lowest seed left, it's stil TBD).

Rocketboy
04-26-2009, 04:15 PM
But for the sake of the sport, the Wings do not need another Cup.They can always use more cups.

DarthQuack
04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
:upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset:: upset::upset::upset: F-ing Rangers

Darth Metalmute
04-27-2009, 10:35 AM
They can always use more cups.

Yes, they are working on a table setting of 12.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
They can always use more cups.That's what Yarna says...

DarthQuack
04-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Damn it.....:upset:

DarthQuack
04-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Playoff times and channels.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31386

Hoping the Rangers can make some noise....0-3-1 vs Washington, but haven't played them since early February....could be a sleeper. Also like Calgary in the West.

Picks for the 1st.

Montreal
New York
New Jersey
Philadelphia

San Jose
Columbus :)
Vancouver
Calgary

Wow.....can't believe I only got 1 right.....how awesome am I :P

Slicker
04-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Why the hell would you have picked against the Wings?!?!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey, back in the early '90s I had NC State winning the NCAA basketball tourney. Some people (like me) are just dumb sometimes. :rolleyes: I mean, it's not like the Ducks will tear the Wings off in this second round...

So, the NHL gets its oh-boy-oh-boy-oh-boy matchup of #8 vs. #87 after all.

pbarnard
04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Don't count the best team, count the best at the moment goal tender as the winner?

JetsAndHeels
04-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey, back in the early '90s I had NC State winning the NCAA basketball tourney.

Holy carp dude, what were you thinking? :)

It is good to see the Hurricanes advancing further into the playoffs. I don't watch them as much since I moved from Raleigh, but I am definately interested to see how they fare from here on.

figrin bran
04-30-2009, 02:33 AM
Don't count the best team, count the best at the moment goal tender as the winner?

That would be Jonas Hiller, right?

Bel-Cam Jos
04-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Holy carp dude, what were you thinking? :)
They had Fire and Ice. Fire and Ice! All-time NCAA assist leader and a great outside shooter; senior leadership, ACC tested schedule. C'mon! A no brainer! And I proved that is was a brainless choice!

Fire and Ice. In a hockey thread. :D

Slicker
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Ovechkin and Crosby both had hat tricks in there game. Crosby then proceeded to whine like a little girl because Ovechkin was having too many hats thrown on the ice. :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Just win the next game, Pens. Without doing so, the series is most likely o-v-e-r. Then, work on Game 4. Make it a best-of-three.

figrin bran
05-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Ducks take the series lead!!!

Darth Metalmute
05-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Wings just got hosed.

DarthQuack
05-06-2009, 05:24 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Quack quack!

Rocketboy
05-06-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm still absolutely disgusted by last night's officiating. Those jackholes should be fired.
I don't believe for one second that any real official wouldn't have been able to see that puck behind Hiller.

The last time I saw officiating that bad was last year's game 6 of the Finals.

Darth Metalmute
05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm still absolutely disgusted by last night's officiating. Those jackholes should be fired.
I don't believe for one second that any real official wouldn't have been able to see that puck behind Hiller.

My favorite:mad: part was after he obviously missed the call, he looked as if, "Oh, well."

To me, it was obvious that he didn't make an "intent" to blow the whistle until after the Wings celebrated. Then he said, "no goal". And how, after the NHL says no early whistles, does he blow an early whistle during a playoff game? They decided not to blow any early whistles all game, no matter how choppy the game got, until the worst possible moment.

Rocketboy
05-06-2009, 11:42 PM
To me, it was obvious that he didn't make an "intent" to blow the whistle until after the Wings celebrated. Then he said, "no goal". And how, after the NHL says no early whistles, does he blow an early whistle during a playoff game? They decided not to blow any early whistles all game, no matter how choppy the game got, until the worst possible moment.Plus the bullsh*t Interference-that-wasn't call on Stuart which led to a D*cks, I mean Ducks, goal.
And then there was Analheim's high cross-check on Detroit right in front of the official that wasn't called.

Darth Metalmute
05-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Plus the bullsh*t Interference-that-wasn't call on Stuart which led to a D*cks, I mean Ducks, goal.
And then there was Analheim's high cross-check on Detroit right in front of the official that wasn't called.

I'm not sure that the officials from Tuesday night know what interference is.
They missed all the interference calls on dump ins and called one on Stuart when the guy he hit clearly touched the puck.

I'm hoping Hossa plays with a feeling of vengance tonight.

figrin bran
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Holmstrom's elbow to Wiesnewski's head didn't get a penalty either.

Darth Metalmute
05-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Holmstrom's elbow to Wiesnewski's head didn't get a penalty either.

I'm not saying the refs were one sided......
They were just flat out awful, and it ended up costing the Wings more.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Hmm... you have home ice advantage in a Game 7 against top players who have never played in a #7, and you give up the first 5 goals, losing by 4? Hope the Pens can take that energy into their next series.

Slicker
05-20-2009, 11:57 AM
The Wings are up 2-0 and are looking like they're on there way back to the Stanley Cup!!!!

Darth Metalmute
05-20-2009, 01:26 PM
A great win for them considering they were not exactly sharp.
2 more to go.

Rocketboy
05-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Last night's Wings/Hawks game beat American Idol in the ratings by 26%.
Oyes!

DarthQuack
05-20-2009, 09:22 PM
They'll find some way to blow it....it's early.....and it not they'll lose in the Finals :)

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
The Wings are up 2-0 and are looking like they're on there way back to the Stanley Cup!!!!I'd like to paraphrase your statement by including flightless black birds (they have wings too, BTW) instead; plus with the possessive "their" in the right place. Can you say "rematch?" (hopefully with a different outcome, of course :D)

Rocketboy
05-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Can you say "rematch?" (hopefully with a different outcome, of course :D)Agreed. Hopefully the Wings'll sweep Cindy Crosby and the Pens this time.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Agreed. Hopefully the Wings'll sweep Cindy Crosby and the Pens this time.I walked right into that one, didn't I? :rolleyes:

Can the Penguins get an advertising campaign with Will Ferrell's Land of the Lost movie? Think of it: Sid and Maklin, M-AF present Land of the Not-Lost But Won! :thosemadisonavenuegeniuses:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Close out the Hurricanes tomorrow night? I'd like that.

Rocketboy
05-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Close out the Hurricanes tomorrow night? I'd like that.And I would not.

I'd LOVE to see the 'canes take it in 7.

JetsAndHeels
05-26-2009, 12:34 AM
And I would not.

I'd LOVE to see the 'canes take it in 7.

That makes 2 of us. :)

Rocketboy
05-27-2009, 10:43 PM
And the rematch is set.

Hopefully the Pens keep the refs off their payroll this year.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Well, now Hossa can experience what it's like to lose a Stanley Cup in the Finals. Oh, wait. He's already done that, so he'll be an expert at it this time; it's all about veterans. Penguins in six. :thumbsup:

Slicker
05-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Wings in 5. I've got $60 riding on the series so they'd better pull it out.

Darth Metalmute
05-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Wings in 5 if Datsyuk and Lidstrom are healthy.

Wings in 7 if only Lidstrom is healthy.

Rocketboy
05-31-2009, 11:43 PM
I know its far from over, but it ain't looking so hot for the Pens.
Total domination by Detroit.

No Datsyuk (or Draper), Crosby absolutely smothered every time he touched the puck and a pair of goals for Abdelkater? Abdel-friggin'-kater.
Now that is what I call depth.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Hey, last year, Pittsburgh never SCORED in games 1 and 2, then lost in 6. Since they scored (1 goal each game :rolleyes: ), therefore my logic says they'll WIN in six this year.

But they could not control the boards in either game; just about every loose puck went to Detroit. Will Malkin's "fight" at the end fire 'em up, or just give him 45 less seconds of ice time in game 2? Break out the blue unis, guys!

Slicker
06-01-2009, 08:17 AM
It's definitely not lookin' good for the Pens. If Detroit gets Datsyuk back it could look even worse.

pbarnard
06-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I just want to know how Gary Betman thinks having any games of the Stanley Cup Finals broadcast on Versus is a good idea? I gotta track do a place to watch now on Tuesday and Thursday, and hope the uninformed people let me keep one screen there while the rest Thursday go to that other sport with a much better TV contract.

Rocketboy
06-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Pens' Malkin won't be suspended for fight

DETROIT (AP) - Pittsburgh star Evgeni Malkin won't be suspended for Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals despite drawing an instigator penalty in the final 19 seconds of the Penguins' 3-1 loss to Detroit in Game 2 on Sunday night.

Under NHL rules, any player drawing an instigating penalty in the final five minutes is to be suspended for the next game, but the rule allows some flexibility depending on the circumstances.

"None of the criteria in this rule applied in this situation," NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell said in a statement issued by the league. "Suspensions are applied under this rule when a team attempts to send a message in the last five minutes by having a player instigate a fight. A suspension could also be applied when a player seeks retribution for a prior incident. Neither was the case here and therefore the one game suspension is rescinded."

Malkin, who leads playoff scorers with 30 points, scored Pittsburgh's only goal in Game 2.Bullsh*t.
Malkin was definitely trying to send a message.

I guess when Emperor Betteman loves you and your team you can do whatever you want.

DarthBrandon
06-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Bullsh*t.
Malkin was definitely trying to send a message.

I guess when Emperor Betteman loves you and your team you can do whatever you want.

I would say Emperor Betteman loves the wings more, if you look at all the puck covering X2 (Zetterberg), slashing, & hooking the wings are getting away with. I knew the fix was in during the first game, at least I don't have to worry which team wins; mine (Leafs) was playing golf before the playoffs started. It was nice to see Malkin give it to Zetterberg though. Best part of the game IMHO, at least the players decided the outcome of that one. lol:D

Rocketboy
06-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I would say Emperor Betteman loves the wings more, if you look at all the puck covering X2 (Zetterberg), slashing, & hooking the wings are getting away with. I knew the fix was in during the first game, at least I don't have to worry which team wins; mine (Leafs) was playing golf before the playoffs started. It was nice to see Malkin give it to Zetterberg though. Best part of the game IMHO, at least the players decided the outcome of that one. lol:DFor the most part the officiating has been consistent. And by consistent I mean very little is being called on either team. Both sides have gotten away with plenty, which is both good and bad, since the NHL/officials needs to stay consistent with their calls all year long.

But the Malkin thing really sucks. They have the rule for a reason. It just isn't fair to any team when the NHL decides to pick and choose when they want to enforce the rules.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2009, 09:01 PM
But the Malkin thing really sucks. They have the rule for a reason. It just isn't fair to any team when the NHL decides to pick and choose when they want to enforce the rules.You mean like the NBA not fining LeBron James for avoiding the media after losing the other night? It pays to be a star.

As a Pittsburgh fan, obviously I want him to play, but I don't know how they can justify this, and the Court o' Public Opinion will determine the "truth" anyway.

No offense to Versus, but when most people aren't even aware you exist, you don't deserve games in the final series of a major sport, sorry. I have to hope the Pens win at least one game to see them again. :mad: But since they're winning the next four, I guess NBC will show the clinching game for me! :D

Rocketboy
06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
NHL uses only rules that are convenient (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=ArS5fme.epb7X4woAzUaPMQJfwM6?slug=jp-malkin053109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
"The National Hockey League rule book spells out 87 rules and hundreds of sub-rules that govern its game. There is an 88th rule that goes unwritten: The league’s braintrust can invalidate any of the others, so long as it behooves their short-sighted and selfish interests."

"The NHL believes it cannot afford to lose Malkin, even for a game. Pittsburgh staying competitive is good for the league, which wants a long series and surely wouldn’t mind watching Sidney Crosby(notes) skate around the ice with the Cup hoisted above his head."

Slicker
06-02-2009, 02:40 PM
You should've known that nothing would happen. If it had been Joe Schmo then he would've definitely been suspended.

Darth Metalmute
06-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I have less of a problem with Malkin not getting suspended for the Instigator penalty than I do for nothing being called for him hitting Zets with his stick 3 times.

He wasn't trying to prove a point, he was trying to knock Zets out of the series.

He should have been suspended for the three misconduct calls against him, the Instigator, the use of the stick as a weapon, and for not having his jersey tied down.

Rocketboy
06-02-2009, 11:11 PM
You should've known that nothing would happen. If it had been Joe Schmo then he would've definitely been suspended.Or if he'd been wearing the Winged Wheel.

Another BS game from the refs. But Detroit probably would've lost anyway; they were extremely sloppy all night and had no real sense of urgency in the 3rd.

CaptainSolo1138
06-03-2009, 09:06 PM
*wipes away the cobwebs*

Detroit played a craptastic game for the most part and the Pens capitalized on it.

But after the refs completely ignored the fact that Pittsburgh was skating with six men on the ice for about 25 seconds around the 7:00 minute mark of the first yet didn't miss Dan Cleary's "hold" on Mark Eaton seconds after (which led to the Pens power play that tied the game) I pretty much rolled my eyes and gave up.

Whatever. Same garbage happened last year. Wash, rinse, raise Stanley, repeat.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Whatever. Same garbage happened last year. Wash, rinse, raise Stanley, repeat.So, to ease your pain, just enjoy a black and gold Cup ceremony instead, then!

I'm semi-optimistic, but the Wings just look too strong. Unless the refs are gonna get extra pay for extra calls, I'm not sure about Pittsburgh breaking through. I won't give up the fight until one of these teams gets that 4th Finals win. :thumbsup:

pbarnard
06-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Afternoon rumor mill has both Datsyuk and Draper skating tonight.

Anyone catch The Onion today with how neither cities' mayor wants their team to win due to costs of the victory parade? Hillarious.

Rocketboy
06-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Datsyuk said yesterday that he'd play in game 4.

wawe1
06-04-2009, 09:17 PM
This is getting very sad. While the NHL is trying to capture new fans by fixing the playoffs, they are losing old-time, regular fans.

- Waive Malkin's suspension.
- Too many Pens on the ice.
- Allowing an offside goal for the Pens in game 4.
- Crappy penalties being called.

AND this is just SOME of the CRAP going on... AND I don't give a CRAP who wins... My team (embarrassed to say it - NJ) is out losing at golf right now.

BETTMAN SUCKS!

Rocketboy
06-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Datsyuk WAS going to play but decided not to about an hour so before game time.

This is getting very sad. While the NHL is trying to capture new fans by fixing the playoffs, they are losing old-time, regular fans.

- Waive Malkin's suspension.
- Too many Pens on the ice.
- Allowing an offside goal for the Pens in game 4.
- Crappy penalties being called.

AND this is just SOME of the CRAP going on... AND I don't give a CRAP who wins... My team (embarrassed to say it - NJ) is out losing at golf right now.

BETTMAN SUCKS!AMEN BRUTHA!

Also it didn't help that Wings defense played like amateurs in games 3 and 4.

pbarnard
06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Well at least NBC relented and decided showing hockey and draws more ad money.

I got to hand it to Pittsburgh, their transition game is so much better than their offense. Too many odd man rushes given up by Detriot.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Due to technical difficulties (read: games on Versus, not NBC), I haven't been able to see the last two games, only the highlights. Now, it could be selective editing that makes it seem like the "fix" (not The Fixx) is on. As they say, no series gets interesting until someone wins a road game. Could today be that day?

Tied 2-2. Goals scored: 10-10. I predict the first OT game tonight: Penguins 3, Wings 2.

Rocketboy
06-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I haven't been able to see the last two games, only the highlights. The Wings played liek sh*t, so there were no highlights in games 3 and 4.

I have faith the Wings will pull it together tonight. The combination of the home crowd and the return Datsyuk (lucky number 13?) should mean good things for Detroit.

Rocketboy
06-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Expectations: Exceeded.

DarthQuack
06-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Mission: Barf

Bel-Cam Jos
06-07-2009, 10:34 AM
As they say, no series gets interesting until someone wins a road game. Could today be that day? Prolly not.

Tied 2-2. Goals scored: 10-10. I predict that total number of goals will match the game number in the series tonight: Penguins + Wings = 5.I was totally correct! Just like my prediction that the Pens will win in seven! :rolleyes: Or eight. Or nine?

DarthBrandon
06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I was totally correct! Just like my prediction that the Pens will win in seven! :rolleyes: Or eight. Or nine?

Lets hope you are correct, I for one am getting tired of this one sided series that the refs have going on. Never have I seen more clutching & grabbing, spearing/elbowing on the faceoff, slashing, holding & tripping that a team gets away with time & time again, not to mention having two goal tenders (Ozzy & Zetterberg). I mean who in the NHL besides the Red Wings plays with two goalies every night. The reason why the Pens took so many penalties (around 9 -2) last night was that they could see the replays of what the Wings were getting away with. I.E. Zetterberg cross checking Crosby from behind (no call BTW) then Zetterberg on the next shift gives him a shove from behind again & a little spear to the mid section as well. If it had been me, I would have broken my stick off his head. (but that's just me I guess.) This whole series has been quite disgraceful IMHO to Hockey, it makes the league look bad, kinda looks like the WWE on skates if you ask me; with paid refs to back them up. If the refs were calling it even then I would have no problem, if they were letting them just play I would have no problem. Tit for Tat as they say, if elbowing is a penalty (last time I checked it was) then call it on both teams (Detroit on the face off numerous times against Pittsburg) not just on Pittsburg, this is what makes them look bad. I'm a Leafs fan I know what it's like to get the shaft. Leafs in 93, Killer 93 getting the high stick (draws blood) from Weiner 99 if front of the ref with no call. Can anyone say fixed, same applies here, anyone who can't see this needs to take the red pill & see the NHL for what it is. If not just keep taking the blue pill & turn a blind eye like the refs do to create a game 7 series.:D:thumbsup: Make the NHL more money guys, you can do it!.:whip:

Darth Metalmute
06-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Lets hope you are correct, I for one am getting tired of this one sided series that the refs have going on. Never have I seen more clutching & grabbing, spearing/elbowing on the faceoff, slashing, holding & tripping that a team gets away with time & time again, not to mention having two goal tenders (Ozzy & Zetterberg). I mean who in the NHL besides the Red Wings plays with two goalies every night. The reason why the Pens took so many penalties (around 9 -2) last night was that they could see the replays of what the Wings were getting away with. I.E. Zetterberg cross checking Crosby from behind (no call BTW) then Zetterberg on the next shift gives him a shove from behind again & a little spear to the mid section as well. If it had been me, I would have broken my stick off his head. (but that's just me I guess.) This whole series has been quite disgraceful IMHO to Hockey, it makes the league look bad, kinda looks like the WWE on skates if you ask me; with paid refs to back them up. If the refs were calling it even then I would have no problem, if they were letting them just play I would have no problem. Tit for Tat as they say, if elbowing is a penalty (last time I checked it was) then call it on both teams (Detroit on the face off numerous times against Pittsburg) not just on Pittsburg, this is what makes them look bad. I'm a Leafs fan I know what it's like to get the shaft. Leafs in 93, Killer 93 getting the high stick (draws blood) from Weiner 99 if front of the ref with no call. Can anyone say fixed, same applies here, anyone who can't see this needs to take the red pill & see the NHL for what it is. If not just keep taking the blue pill & turn a blind eye like the refs do to create a game 7 series.:D:thumbsup: Make the NHL more money guys, you can do it!.:whip:

What you are missing is the Pens are getting away with the same penalties. They are clutching and grabbing after every dump in just like the wings. They have gotten away with several roughing calls as well as a second goalie, Orpik in the second period of game 3 put his glove over the puck in the crease.

The penalties have been so one sided in both of the games you have commented on because the Penguins have lost their composure and the refs are trying to protect the players. You say its disgraceful but the way the Penguins have gooned it up is the reason why.

If you honestly think the Wings are getting away with things and the Penguins are not, you need to rewatch the games. It has been pretty closely called with the exception of the Penguins gooning things up in game 2 and 5.
Don't for a minute think that the Penguins are playing the game by the rules, because they too are getting calls, like too many men on the ice for 21 seconds in game 3, the offsides that lead to a powerplay goal in game 4, Franzen getting crosschecked in the head in game 3, the interference of Lidstrom on a power play in game 4 which should have resulted in a 5 on 3, Malkin tripping Kronwall in game 2 leading to a break away. Malkin not being automatically suspended after game 2, the multiple cross-checks against Franzen, Holmstrom, and Cleary in the offensive end, etc...

I can go on just as long as you can on the non-calls in this series. For every non call agains the Pens, theres a non-call against the Wings.

DarthBrandon
06-07-2009, 01:11 PM
What you are missing is the Pens are getting away with the same penalties. They are clutching and grabbing after every dump in just like the wings. They have gotten away with several roughing calls as well as a second goalie, Orpik in the second period of game 3 put his glove over the puck in the crease.

The penalties have been so one sided in both of the games you have commented on because the Penguins have lost their composure and the refs are trying to protect the players. You say its disgraceful but the way the Penguins have gooned it up is the reason why.

If you honestly think the Wings are getting away with things and the Penguins are not, you need to rewatch the games. It has been pretty closely called with the exception of the Penguins gooning things up in game 2 and 5.
Don't for a minute think that the Penguins are playing the game by the rules, because they too are getting calls, like too many men on the ice for 21 seconds in game 3, the offsides that lead to a powerplay goal in game 4, Franzen getting crosschecked in the head in game 3, the interference of Lidstrom on a power play in game 4 which should have resulted in a 5 on 3, Malkin tripping Kronwall in game 2 leading to a break away. Malkin not being automatically suspended after game 2, the multiple cross-checks against Franzen, Holmstrom, and Cleary in the offensive end, etc...

I can go on just as long as you can on the non-calls in this series. For every non call agains the Pens, theres a non-call against the Wings.

I not sure what series you are watching, don't care; the Wings have had more power plays than Pittsburg & get away with more things than any other team in the NHL. I'm not talking about this series alone my friend, I'm talking about all of them. You can list examples all you want, the fact of the matter is, if you look at any team or list any teams penalties, the Wings would have double their total if things were being called fairly. I'm sorry all the burley Red Wing players are made of glass when the playoff commence it's a farging joke and most 10 year olds can tell you that my friend. Yeah & Kronwall, Maltby, Draper, Franzen, Holmstrom, Cleary, Ozzy, Helm, Hossa, Zetterberg & most other Red Wings are just full of class;:tired::rolleyes: sure. My Sons Grandfather is a huge Detroit fan & even he is disappointed in the one sided officiating for Detroit. You obviously can't see this so you must have taken the blue pill, or you are a Die Hard Wings Fan; either way it makes sense. I dislike both teams, but I've been playing hockey every weekend all my life so I think I know just a little bit about the game & one sided affairs.:D

DarthQuack
06-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Let's go Pens...

Rocketboy
06-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Let's go Pens...to the golf course!

I have the 100% opposite opinion of DarthBrandon. Last night's game was the first that wasn't called in Pitt's favor (last year's finals included).

When it comes to the penalties not called on Zetterberg, it was because the game was being called just as DarthBrandon wanted (the refs were letting them play). Cindy Crosby was just as guilty of Zetterberg of late hits, cross-checks and dirty jabs. All the Pittsburgh penalties being called last night were the pretty blatant one and, more often than not, the result of the frustration at being spanked.

Darth Metalmute was 100% dead on in his list of garbage the Pens have gotten away with so I won't relist them.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Officiating is so knee jerk in the NHL.

All it takes is for a coach to whine and complain loudly about calls for a game, and the NHL immediately responds by placating the team affected the next game.

I've seen it happen time and time again, with most every team. Lindy Ruff is the king of it. That being said, I don't think officiating has played a detrimental part in this series, but Detroit is known as a team to stretch the rules of interference to the max, so there:p

Darth Metalmute
06-08-2009, 01:34 PM
the Wings have had more power plays than Pittsburg & get away with more things than any other team in the NHL.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=page&page=gamestats&fetchKey=20093ALLAATAll&viewName=teamPenaltiesByGame&sort=game.gameDate&pg=6

If you take away the 4 misconduct calls that Pittsburgh has been called for, it's pretty even. In fact, if you take out period 2 of game 5, where the Penguins took horrible frustration penalties, and the last 30 seconds of game 2, where Malkin got a game misconduct and a instigator; the Penguins have 10 Power Plays to 9 for the Wings. So your notion that the calls have been one sided is incorrect.

My question to you is, do you think the Penguins have not gotten away with anything; that the only time they commited infractions, they have been called for them? I won't agrue that the Wings haven't gotten away with things, because they have. All I'm saying is that it is not one sided because the Penguins are getting away with things too.

So if you think the Wings are getting away with more, than instead of blaming the refs for calling a "one-sided" game, blame the Penguins for not trying to get away with more. If the refs are letting them play, which they are, then the Penguins should push the issue.

if you look at any team or list any teams penalties, the Wings would have double their total if things were being called fairly.

Not necessarily so. As a hockey player, you know you try to get away with all you can. When the refs call everything, you tighten up. When the refs let you play, you push the envelope.
So I imagine that if the games were being called tight, the Wings would have a couple more penalties, mostly early in a game, but not double.

Officiating is so knee jerk in the NHL.

I think thats the problem with the NHL and NBA. In other leagues, MLB and NFL, the rules are well defined. You have close plays that could go either way, but not real officiating blunders, (outside of Super Bowl 40). In the NHL and NBA, the infractions are loosely defined and therefore up to the interpretation of the refs. They could calls things tight or loose, depending on the ref or mood. Therefore an penalty one game is not called on in another.

And because of such, fans of NBA and NHL teams don't believe the other team can beat them, so if they lose, its the refs fault.

Rocketboy
06-08-2009, 06:29 PM
This is a screencap from Game 5.
The look on his face says volumes.

DarthBrandon
06-08-2009, 07:55 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=page&page=gamestats&fetchKey=20093ALLAATAll&viewName=teamPenaltiesByGame&sort=game.gameDate&pg=6

If you take away the 4 misconduct calls that Pittsburgh has been called for, it's pretty even. In fact, if you take out period 2 of game 5, where the Penguins took horrible frustration penalties, and the last 30 seconds of game 2, where Malkin got a game misconduct and a instigator; the Penguins have 10 Power Plays to 9 for the Wings. So your notion that the calls have been one sided is incorrect.

My question to you is, do you think the Penguins have not gotten away with anything; that the only time they commited infractions, they have been called for them? I won't agrue that the Wings haven't gotten away with things, because they have. All I'm saying is that it is not one sided because the Penguins are getting away with things too.

So if you think the Wings are getting away with more, than instead of blaming the refs for calling a "one-sided" game, blame the Penguins for not trying to get away with more. If the refs are letting them play, which they are, then the Penguins should push the issue.

Not necessarily so. As a hockey player, you know you try to get away with all you can. When the refs call everything, you tighten up. When the refs let you play, you push the envelope.
So I imagine that if the games were being called tight, the Wings would have a couple more penalties, mostly early in a game, but not double.

I think thats the problem with the NHL and NBA. In other leagues, MLB and NFL, the rules are well defined. You have close plays that could go either way, but not real officiating blunders, (outside of Super Bowl 40). In the NHL and NBA, the infractions are loosely defined and therefore up to the interpretation of the refs. They could calls things tight or loose, depending on the ref or mood. Therefore an penalty one game is not called on in another.

And because of such, fans of NBA and NHL teams don't believe the other team can beat them, so if they lose, its the refs fault.

The NHL has a rule book (which is quite clear & not loosely defined which you have stated), which I think they should follow for both teams, it can't be a penalty for one team & not for the other because of the ref or the mood. The rules are quite clear in this rule book my friend & are NOT open for interpretation. You can check them out on NHL.com under the Official Rules section. I don't know how clear I can make this, I'm NOT a fan of either team; but I can clearly see one sided games. The other twenty people at the poker game could pick this out as well. (None of them BTW are Pittsburg or Detroit fans) Common sense I guess.;):D

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26542

Darth Metalmute
06-08-2009, 10:53 PM
The NHL has a rule book (which is quite clear & not loosely defined which you have stated), which I think they should follow for both teams, it can't be a penalty for one team & not for the other because of the ref or the mood. The rules are quite clear in this rule book my friend & are NOT open for interpretation. You can check them out on NHL.com under the Official Rules section. I don't know how clear I can make this, I'm NOT a fan of either team; but I can clearly see one sided games. The other twenty people at the poker game could pick this out as well. (None of them BTW are Pittsburg or Detroit fans) Common sense I guess.;):D

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26542

The interpretation is not on how the rules are too be taken, but how the refs interpret the play. In a quick paced game, the might not see something that we do on TV. Maybe adding a ref would help. As of now, four refs to watch 12 players is 2+ players per ref.

However it's funny that you bring up the rule book since rule 47.22 states; 47.22 Fines and Suspensions – Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time (or Anytime in Overtime) - A player or goalkeeper who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at anytime in overtime, shall automatically be suspended for one game.

Yeah, I know it says that the Director of Hockey regulations can resend it, but still, as you say, if its a penalty on one team, it should be on both.:)

As for the one-sided game, we will have to agree to disagree. I can't agree with you because logically, when the number of penalties called are pretty even when you remove the misconducts, it's not one-sided, they are pretty even. I can go on and on, but I can see that you have your opinion and are intitled to it.

My only point was that with the number of power plays are basically even for both teams, that the officiating can not be considered a one-sided game. And by saying that the game is being called one-sided because of the calls the Wings haven't been called for, you are insinuating that the Penguins haven't gotten away with anything, which is a joke.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-09-2009, 10:41 PM
A playoff series never is interesting until the road team wins. Time for that on Friday in Detroit? Why not!

Awesome defense in the 3rd period by Pittsburgh, despite the goal given up. Those saves in the last minute were classic, by Fleury and defensemen, too.

Rocketboy
06-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Funny how even the NBC morons even commented the bullsh*t call (Zetterberg's "interference") and the two non-calls (both interference on Pitt).

Darth Metalmute
06-10-2009, 08:59 AM
A playoff series never is interesting until the road team wins. Time for that on Friday in Detroit? Why not!

Awesome defense in the 3rd period by Pittsburgh, despite the goal given up. Those saves in the last minute were classic, by Fleury and defensemen, too.

That was a great game last night (minus the fact the Pens won). Too bad we have to wait till Friday for the last game on the year.

DarthBrandon
06-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Again, this was a one sided afair again for the the home team (Pitts). Back to Detroit for the next one sided afair. The fix is in for 7 games my friends.:thumbsup:

pbarnard
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM
If Malkin gets another cross checking penalty, can we give up any pretense and just call him dirty?

DarthQuack
06-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Let's go Pens! :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
06-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Similarities between Star Wars and the Stanley Cup Final
(http://bostonblueline.blogspot.com/2009/06/star-wars-guide-to-stanley-cup-finals.html)

Heavily slanted toward the Pens, but hilarious.

Darth Metalmute
06-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Similarities between Star Wars and the Stanley Cup Final
(http://bostonblueline.blogspot.com/2009/06/star-wars-guide-to-stanley-cup-finals.html)

Heavily slanted toward the Pens, but hilarious.

That's pretty cool.

Where does Datysuk fit into the picture?
I guessing Episode 3 Obi Wan or Clone Wars Anakin?:yes:

Darth Metalmute
06-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Congratulations, Bel-Cam Jos, to your Penguins.
They played a heck of a series.

Series tied 1-1. See you in the Finals next year.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Those last 6.5 seconds were perhaps the best defensive plays all season for them. Wow. WOW. WOW!!

I don't know why, but Detroit just looked tired tonight, not that Pitt looked full of energy. That was one of the best games I've seen in a long time, regardless of the great outcome.

They mentioned a couple of cool details:
- first game 7 NHL road win since '71 (was that the Bobby Orr leaping goal game?)
- first game 7 road win in sports since... the '79 :Pirate:s :wearefam-a-lee:
- Pens won all their '09 playoff series-clinching games on the road

And I noticed that:
- Penguins were outscored by 3 goals overall (17-14) in the series
- NBC barely cut the sound off on one Penguin's "F'in' ...!" cheer while hoisting the Cup:eek:
- wasn't sure if it was Bettman or Pittsburgh being booed more after the game

Wonder if Mario has a new pool that the Cup can take a dive into?

DarthBrandon
06-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Best hockey game I've seen in a long time, I didn't care who won. It was fast paced, exciting, fairly officiated & down right entertaining. I give my hats off to both teams, they both played their hearts out & left it out on the ice.

Bel-Cam Jos, lets not forget; it's the first time since 71 a rookie coach has come in half way through the season to win the cup as well.

When they announced the cup winner, I don't think the guy on the P.A. wanted to say Pittsburg; it was very low key if you know what I mean.

Couple of things: I wonder what Hossa is thinking right now?
I wonder how Bettman feels getting booed all the time?
Who's better now Ovie & Semi?
Could Fleury's save on Lidstrom come at a better time?
Finally, who is going to win the cup next year?

DarthQuack
06-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Congrats to the Penguins! I just watched through the 2nd period before I had to sack out to get to work at 4am on time....glad to see the end result. Sounded like there were a lot of fans pulling for Pittsburgh after hearing the crowd after the goals were scored.

Slicker
06-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I can't believe I stayed up until noon to watch this mess (I didn't even bother with the 3rd period). The only time the Wings acted like they wanted to win the game was the first 2 minutes of the 1st period and the last 2 minutes of the 2nd period. Other than that they played like carp.

Darth Metalmute
06-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Couple of things: I wonder what Hossa is thinking right now?
Hossa is officially on Suicide watch. His lack of production cost the Wings big time.

I wonder how Bettman feels getting booed all the time?
Second straight finals I remember him getting booed. Did anyone else notice him quivering when he was about to hand the cup to Crosby?

Who's better now Ovie & Semi?
I don't think we will ever know until Ovie gets out of Washington. Thats a death pool for good players.

Could Fleury's save on Lidstrom come at a better time?
The reason I thought the Wings would win was that I didn't think Fleury could do it at the Joe. When I saw the puck, the open net, and Lidstrom closing on it, I thought OVERTIME!. What a save. But after watching the replay, not matter where Lidstrom shot the puck, it would not have gone in. Fleury had the entire net covered. His only chance was to delay and shoot but with less than 4 seconds, you can't blame him for shooting.

Finally, who is going to win the cup next year?
I wouldn't be surprised to see these two back here next season for round three. Pittburgh has too much talent for the East. Detroit is still the best team in the West. They might be another year older, but now they have something to prove once again.

PluseI don't think they will re-sign Hossa now after his failure to show up in the playoffs/finals. And then neither team will have the Hossa jinx for the finals.lol

Rocketboy
06-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Second straight finals I remember him getting booed. Did anyone else notice him quivering when he was about to hand the cup to Crosby?He was worried people would see the stain on his crotch.

For the most part Detroit beat themselves. They were just plain sloppy most of the night. Bad passes, almost every shot came from the top of the upper circle, nobody in the slot all night and they got/went after virtually no rebounds.

And last night further cemented my belief of a conspiracy for the benefit of pittsburgh, rather than against Detroit (even though it went both ways). That the Cup was handed to Pittsburgh by the officials. They did let the little things go for both teams but I counted 5 blatant penalties not called on the penguins (2 interference, 2 cross-checks and 1 slash).

Highlight of the night - Crosby getting hurt when she tried to ride Franzen. After the way she skated off the ice you know they pumper her full of Cortisone.

As Cappy told me, it's one consolation that not many people remember that Carolina won a cup not so long ago. So pittsburgh's got that goin' for 'em.

Darth Metalmute
06-13-2009, 11:44 AM
He was worried people would see the stain on his crotch.

You remember the look you posted of his the other night. It was like, "Oh No, I got to hand the cup to these guys again."

Last night, he had the complete opposite look. Maybe it was the fact he got to hand out the cup. But I believe it was because he got to hand the cup to his savior, Sidney Crosby.

Rocketboy
06-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I really don't get the whole Golden Boy (Girl?) label Crosby has been given.
Cosby's own teammate (Malkin) is a far better player than Cindy. Then there's Ovechkin who is easily the best player the NHL has seen in years. There are probably 5 or 6 better players than Crosby out there.

If Cindy is as good as he's been hyped he would have produced more than like 1 point in the Stanley Cup Finals no matter how much the opposition tries to shut her down.

Slicker
06-13-2009, 01:42 PM
I really don't get the whole Golden Boy (Girl?) label Crosby has been given.
Cosby's own teammate (Malkin) is a far better player than Cindy. Then there's Ovechkin who is easily the best player the NHL has seen in years. There are probably 5 or 6 better players than Crosby out there.

If Cindy is as good as he's been hyped he would have produced more than like 1 point in the Stanley Cup Finals no matter how much the opposition tries to shut her down.It really is sad that they call Crosby the best when he's got Malkin on his team. Who was it that one the Stanley Cup MVP? Oh, yeah. NOT Crosby. To me he's the LeBron James of hockey. He's good but highly overrated (except that Crosby has a cup now and LeBron's watching the finals from home) and not the best in the league even though he's branded as such.

DarthBrandon
06-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Hossa is officially on Suicide watch. His lack of production cost the Wings big time.

Second straight finals I remember him getting booed. Did anyone else notice him quivering when he was about to hand the cup to Crosby?

I don't think we will ever know until Ovie gets out of Washington. Thats a death pool for good players.

The reason I thought the Wings would win was that I didn't think Fleury could do it at the Joe. When I saw the puck, the open net, and Lidstrom closing on it, I thought OVERTIME!. What a save. But after watching the replay, not matter where Lidstrom shot the puck, it would not have gone in. Fleury had the entire net covered. His only chance was to delay and shoot but with less than 4 seconds, you can't blame him for shooting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see these two back here next season for round three. Pittburgh has too much talent for the East. Detroit is still the best team in the West. They might be another year older, but now they have something to prove once again.

PluseI don't think they will re-sign Hossa now after his failure to show up in the playoffs/finals. And then neither team will have the Hossa jinx for the finals.lol

LOL, all too funny.:D

For all the Crosby Haters, he has one thing all of us don't, his name on the Stanley Cup.:thumbsup: Malkin was the MVP, but it took Crosby & others hard work in the first few rounds to get them there, if not Malkin would not have had his time to shine. Besides it's a team effort by far, the MVP's for Pittsburg in the finals IMHO were Talbot, Fleury, Staal, Malkin Gonchar & Crosby in that order. Each like the Red Wings brought something to the table in the finals & the hockey gods decided it was Pittsburg's time for the cup & for Detroit to pass it on.

Lets see:
Crosby had 102 points in his rookie season
120 points in his second season (Hart, Art, Lester Trophies)
72 points in his third season (53 Games BTW, just over half a season)
This year he played 77 games (5 less than Malkin, 3 less than Ovechkin)
He had 31 points in the playoffs, second to Malkin's 36. Ovechkin had only 21 points. Malkin only got better this year, the stats don't lie, but is he that much better? He's good, but not two dimensional good like Crosby (making everyone around him better) is , & Ovechkin this year in the playoffs was proven to be a one trick pony (doesn't know the meaning of the word defense). When either of these two become like this they will surpass Crosby providing Crosby doesn't get any better himself. (which I doubt that won't happen) Yeah, he's highly over-rated.:rolleyes::tired:

As a fellow Canuck I have to defend him, the only thing I did not like about this kid was all the whining when he first came into the NHL. He has improved quite a bit over the years & I'm sure he will only get better.

If Detroit & Pittsburg meet again in the finals, I'm calling Pittsburg in 5.:D

Rocketboy
06-13-2009, 10:15 PM
the hockey gods decided it was Pittsburg's time for the cup & for Detroit to pass it on.By "the hockey gods" you must mean Betteman.

If Detroit & Pittsburg meet again in the finals, I'm calling Pittsburg in 5.:DI say Detroit in 3!
Yes, 3.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2009, 11:09 AM
By "the hockey gods" you must mean Betteman.

I say Detroit in 3!
Yes, 3.Bettman got what he wanted; it will be next year that the officiating will be on. :p Game 7 was awesome, for the NHL, for NBC, for hockey fans, for Pittsburgh, and if they can accept it, even Detroit (minus the outcome). Wings celebrated on Pittsburgh's home ice last year, the hockey gods just returned the favor this time.

Well, Detroit won it in 2, 3, and 5 this year... :rolleyes:

Wonder who will get signed first: Micheal Vick or Hossa?

DarthBrandon
06-14-2009, 02:50 PM
By "the hockey gods" you must mean Betteman.

I say Detroit in 3!
Yes, 3.

Nope, the Hockey Gods are former Leafs players who like to give the edge to certain teams they deem worthy in the NHL. (see crossbar many times in game 7) This is why my Leafs team will never win a cup, they are too busy helping others do it.:D Gary Bettman is nothing but a hockey bum, not even close to being a hockey god.

Darth Metalmute
06-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Wonder who will get signed first: Micheal Vick or Hossa?

Hossa, no doubt.
Hossa just chokes in big games, while Vick chokes big dogs.

Darth Metalmute
06-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Bettman got what he wanted; it will be next year that the officiating will be on. :p Game 7 was awesome, for the NHL, for NBC, for hockey fans, for Pittsburgh, and if they can accept it, even Detroit (minus the outcome). Wings celebrated on Pittsburgh's home ice last year, the hockey gods just returned the favor this time.

You know what was weird about this years finals? Every game went against the grain. Detroit was supposed to be at a disadvantage at playing games 1 and 2 back-to-back games while injured and have the advantage in games 6 and 7 while healthy. Yet the results don't show that.

I would have given the MVP to Staal. If he doesn't get that short-handed goal, then the Wings probably go up 3 games to 1.

pbarnard
06-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Gary Bettman is nothing but a hockey bum, not even close to being a hockey god.

If only. He's a David Stern reject who was ran out of the NBA front office.

Rocketboy
06-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Looks like the Wings were pretty banged up during the finals.
Lidstrom got hurt by a spear in the Chicago series and missed those two games because he had testicle surgery DURING THE FREAKING PLAYOFFS! Now that is hardcore!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Scale of playing through injury...

Baseball: on 15-day DL with broken pinky finger
Basketball: out for 5 games with strained hamstring
Tennis: miss two tournaments with sore wrist
Soccer: imminent death when kicked in shin, but out just 8 minutes
Football: inactive for 4 games with broken forearm
Hockey: severed head, miss only one week

Rocketboy
06-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Hockey: severed head, miss only one weekAnd only if you're a sissy.

Rocketboy
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
A few newsbites from Game 7

Sidney Crosby Is A B*tch

DETROIT (AP) - Henrik Zetterberg called Sidney Crosby's actions disrespectful. Nicklas Lidstrom said the Pittsburgh Penguins' young captain would learn from his mistake.

Crosby failed to shake the hand of all the Detroit players, including Red Wings' captain Lidstrom, after Pittsburgh won the Stanley Cup at Detroit's Joe Louis Arena on Friday night after a 2-1 win in Game 7 of the finals.

"I think that's one thing you should do," Zetterberg said as the Red Wings cleaned out their lockers for the summer on Monday. "I don't know why he didn't do it, it's disrespectful."

Crosby said he was celebrating with his teammates, but did not apologize for not upholding the NHL playoff tradition of the captain leading his team in a line to shake hands with the opposing team.

Lidstrom, along with a few other players - including Kris Draper - waited for Crosby, but finally left the ice after a period of time.

"You know you're happy and celebrating with your teammates," Lidstrom said. "But you know the losing team wants to get off the ice too. ... Sidney was probably caught up in the emotions and everything."

Lidstrom added Crosby would learn from the situation.

The pair will likely cross paths again on Thursday at the NHL awards ceremonies in Las Vegas. Lidstrom is a finalist to win his seventh Norris Trophy.msn (http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/9685052/Red-Wings-star-calls-Crosby-snub-'Disrespectful')

Game 7 ratings highest for NHL game in 36 years

NEW YORK (AP) - Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals is the most-watched NHL game in 36 years.

The Pittsburgh Penguins' championship-clinching 2-1 win over the Detroit Red Wings on NBC on Friday night averaged 8 million viewers. The network said Monday that's the most since Game 6 of the 1973 Stanley Cup finals between Montreal and Chicago.

Game 7 earned a 4.3 rating and 8 share. It was the highest rating for a series-ending game since Game 7 of the 2003 Anaheim-New Jersey series.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with televisions tuned into a program, while the share is the percentage of all TVs in use at the time.msn (http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/9686440/Game-7-ratings-highest-for-NHL-game-in-36-years?From=MSNHP&FG=FOX_Pipe)

pbarnard
06-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Looks like the Wings were pretty banged up during the finals.
Lidstrom got hurt by a spear in the Chicago series and missed those two games because he had testicle surgery DURING THE FREAKING PLAYOFFS! Now that is hardcore!

While Niki speaks English pretty well he must have been confused...you give your left nut for the championship in any sport, this was obviously the right. :thumbsup:

I did see the article on the ratings. I wonder if it has anythign to do with it being a 7th game or just that Friday in the summer is a really weak TV night. Either way, it is good for the NHL.

Maybe if some one writes this down for Bettman right now so he can bring it to the next TV contract, they can leverage this for a better cable deal for the regular season and early round playoffs and do something so that the games of the finals aren't off on a channel anyone in the states has never heard of much less watched.

Rocketboy
06-16-2009, 11:27 AM
As much as I hate to say it, the NHL should be back on ESPN. They were slightly less retarded than the knuckleheads on Vs.

Darth Metalmute
06-16-2009, 04:13 PM
As much as I hate to say it, the NHL should be back on ESPN. They were slightly less retarded than the knuckleheads on Vs.

I saw Gary Thorne do a Baltimore Orioles game the night before the Cup Finals and thought, whats wrong with this? One of the best hockey announcers has been reduced to Orioles baseball? I would rather see in on ESPN than any basic network. NBC was a joke, Fox was a gimic, Vs. looks minor league, and I don't get CBC in HD.

Slicker
06-17-2009, 03:08 PM
As much as I hate to say it, the NHL should be back on ESPN. They were slightly less retarded than the knuckleheads on Vs.And if it's shown on there network then maybe we'll get to see hockey highlights before the coverage of the local spelling bee when watching SportsCenter.

DarthQuack
06-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Gary Thorne is untopable for calling Hockey....I miss all the old opens for it as well on ESPN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaVBUlBEvc).

Rocketboy
06-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I miss the old ESPN hockey commercials too.
They were always hilarious.