PDA

View Full Version : Exactly how much money does T Boone Pickens have for ads?

El Chuxter
10-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Honestly. I know this could get into RP territory if we start discussing specifics of his plan, but I see dozens of ads from him daily on various channels.

I have to wonder why he didn't just go and find the oil and build a few million windmills himself, since he obviously has more money than Bill Gates can dream of.

I'm not dissing the guy, but he must be spending an insane amount of money on these ads.

Blue2th
10-08-2008, 10:23 AM
I think he honestly wants to do these things he's talking about, but from what I hear is waiting for the laws to be changed or tax credits which I believe have expired and not renewed particularly for alternative energy to be changed to make it profitable.

electricidad
10-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I was curious about that too, seeing his ad immediately after the debate ended.

TeeEye7
10-08-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm not dissing the guy, but he must be spending an insane amount of money on these ads.

With three billion bucks in his pocket, he's able to buy a minute or two:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._Boone_Pickens

:greedy:

JediTricks
10-09-2008, 03:38 AM
Awesome, I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

plasticfetish
10-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Awesome, I have no idea what you guys are talking about.Turn on the TV grandma... the guy has commercials running all the time.

Pickens is an immensely rich Texan, with a huge financial stake in the development of natural gas as a vehicle fuel source, and wind farming as a source of power for homes.

Love him or hate him (or simply doubt his motives), you've still gotta give him credit for making an effort to shift our national focus toward petroleum alternatives.

His involvement with the Swift Vets and POWs for Truth makes me lean toward thinking he's a bit of a scum-bag really.

JediTricks
10-09-2008, 04:41 AM
Are you kidding? Any time I'm not working or out, the TV is going. And none of this has come up on anything I watch that I take notice of.

TeeEye7
10-09-2008, 11:12 AM
If you want to make the 100 miles trip north to my house, JT, you're more than welcomed to sit on my couch and catch ol' T. Boone. He's on every other commercial here. Yeah, we're a big oil producer up here, and have a bunch of wind farms, too, but last I looked, LA had a well or two in the area as well. You'd think Mr. Pickens would target Angelinos as well as us rednecks.

El Chuxter
10-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I dunno if it's because I technically get the channels in the Palm Springs market, or I watch more news than you, but I'm bombarded by these ads, JT. Sometimes six or seven in an hour. I'm not questioning his plan, which sounds pretty solid from what I've heard (I've not read it, and only know it from the stuff in his commercials), but, rich or not, he's spent more money than the GNP of China on them.

plasticfetish
10-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Are you kidding?Yes... and you know it. ;)

His commercials seem to be placed (pretty smartly) after debates or other related TV events. If I had to think about it... I think I've seen them mostly on MSNBC.

I'm about ready to stick one of those windmills in my back yard (if I can build one from old board games and action figures), so whatever he's trying to sell, I suppose I'm buying it.

JediTricks
10-13-2008, 03:03 AM
If you want to make the 100 miles trip north to my house, JT, you're more than welcomed to sit on my couch and catch ol' T. Boone. He's on every other commercial here. Yeah, we're a big oil producer up here, and have a bunch of wind farms, too, but last I looked, LA had a well or two in the area as well. You'd think Mr. Pickens would target Angelinos as well as us rednecks.Woo, political parrrrrty!

Yeah, LA does have a lot of oil actually, that's weird that these ads aren't more prevalent here.

I dunno if it's because I technically get the channels in the Palm Springs market, or I watch more news than you, but I'm bombarded by these ads, JT. Sometimes six or seven in an hour. I'm not questioning his plan, which sounds pretty solid from what I've heard (I've not read it, and only know it from the stuff in his commercials), but, rich or not, he's spent more money than the GNP of China on them.Oh, it's on the news? That'd explain it, I stopped watching, get my news from the paper.

Yes... and you know it. ;)

His commercials seem to be placed (pretty smartly) after debates or other related TV events. If I had to think about it... I think I've seen them mostly on MSNBC.

I'm about ready to stick one of those windmills in my back yard (if I can build one from old board games and action figures), so whatever he's trying to sell, I suppose I'm buying it.Did you have to go through zoning hell? That's starting to come up here in CA for wind and solar, because people's stuff is blocking neighbors' views and warming and such, or cutting down their trees for more sun.

Blue2th
10-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Did you have to go through zoning hell? That's starting to come up here in CA for wind and solar, because people's stuff is blocking neighbors' views and warming and such, or cutting down their trees for more sun.

They should be making wind generators out of those little turbine fans everyone has on top of their house.

They also need to start selling those solar panels that come in a roll.

Things like that could solve a lot of problems with zoning.

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 01:38 AM
They should be making wind generators out of those little turbine fans everyone has on top of their house.Those what now?

They also need to start selling those solar panels that come in a roll.Those aren't on the market yet, as far as I know. But it's still about cutting down trees, which is a zoning issue.

plasticfetish
10-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Did you have to go through zoning hell? That's starting to come up here in CA for wind and solar, because people's stuff is blocking neighbors' views and warming and such, or cutting down their trees for more sun.We've only joked about it at this point, but I'd love to know how it'd work in this city. I'm sure it could never happen... but who knows. Portland likes to talk about being "green."

Cutting down trees--especially big old ones--is a no-no here, so that's out of the question.