PDA

View Full Version : 2009 TESB Wave listing (Now with Pics)

Battle Droid
10-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Captain Needa

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10216398

Emperor

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10216397

Luke Skywalker - Prosthetic Hand

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10216396

Ugnaught 2 Pack

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10216196

Hoth Rebel Trooper

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10216195

Princess Leia

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10216194

bigbarada
10-08-2008, 11:28 AM
No photos yet.:(

Does this mean that pre-orders for the rumored Kithaba/Wooof wave are just around the corner?:thumbsup:

Snowtrooper
10-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Are we getting a new emperor or is it going to be a repack?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Are we getting a new emperor or is it going to be a repack?
I would say new, as this is the main line and repacks are in the greatest hits or Saga Legends line. Though I do find it odd that they're putting an Emperor figure in an ESB wave? I know Hasbro said there would be a new Palpatine soon (I thought it was later this year), but I also thought it would be in the ROTS wave and was hoping for the senate duel outfit.

Anyway, the rest of these sound awesome! Medical frigate Luke and Leia will be great to finally have, as will Needa. Hopefully the Rebel Trooper will be tall and SA.

Oh, and didn't Hasbro say just last week that the Ugnaught would be single-carded?

cookiemonster
10-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I am skeptical about the Emperor, and the Ugnaught is supposed to be 1 not 2. Originally it was going to be 2.

DarkArtist
10-08-2008, 02:52 PM
it's very wierd to see the Emperor in the list since all we see of him in the movie is a great holo bust, aka "Disturbance in the Force" set from SDCC. perhaps this will be a concept Emperor or McQuarrie Emperor.

Luke and Leia sound cool and especially with the redo of 2-1B ( would really rock if Luke comes with surgery table, and interchangable hands...one finished and one still open)

Hoth Solider could be cool, although I can see Hasbro repacking the repainted Hoth Solider/Major Derlin from the Target set last year.

Captain Needa - can't wait...i just hope they give us a neutral pose Needa - kinda like Ozzel but with more articulation. as long as it is not like Jerjerrod I'm sold.

Ugnaught....meh have to wait and see, these guys didn't impress me in the movie (although if they packed in a smelting bin with Threepio parts and other droid parts that would rock.)

DarkJedi5
10-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Well, I'm excited. I would be willing to bet that the Hoth trooper is all new and all SA. Let's face it, who would buy him if he weren't? And I wonder if Hasbro had the Emperor ready to go from another wave or Battle Pack and decided to sneak him into this wave just to get him out or perhaps another ESB figure (Willrow Hood perhaps?) fell through. I'm looking forward to all of this wave, assuming they are all new sculpts.

Blue2th
10-08-2008, 03:55 PM
If it's an ESB wave, I'm guessing we will get a holographic Emperor. Hopefully they will use the new sculpt from the Evolutions and Order 66 sets.

I'm wondering if he is a holo, that they will use soft goods much like they did on holo Dooku, only more of it because it's the whole Emperor's robe.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-08-2008, 07:31 PM
As to Willrow Hood, there ARE two ESB waves next year, so I assume he's in the other one. As to a holographic Emperor, I doubt we'll see one based on the Evolutions mold (since he has a lot of cloth - too much for a holo figure), and we already have three normal-sized Palpatine holographs and the new large one, so I wouldn't count on it.

Snowtrooper
10-08-2008, 07:35 PM
I wonder if they'll try cramming the holo Emperor that came with the SDCC exclusive onto a card. They'd have to use an extra large bubble for it to work.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I wonder if they'll try cramming the holo Emperor that came with the SDCC exclusive onto a card. They'd have to use an extra large bubble for it to work.
If you own it, then you know there's no way they'd try that. He's useless without the Vader part of the base, and there's a big black plugin at Palpatine's front that would look stupid.

Blue2th
10-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I could be wrong but I wonder who else could it be in a ESB wave? I don't think that Hasbro would be too worried about getting enough fabric. I mean they've already used that sheer material on Spirit Anakin, and a little bit on Holo Dooku.

The only good Holo Emperor was the Sidious from Ep 1, and it was purple. I simply hate the ones after that. Maybe it's something new and suprising, or just a new blue Ep 1. or they just throw in a figure that's totally unrelated to ESB. They've been known to do that before.

Snowtrooper
10-09-2008, 01:21 PM
If you own it, then you know there's no way they'd try that. He's useless without the Vader part of the base, and there's a big black plugin at Palpatine's front that would look stupid.

I do own it, but I never took it out of the box. I assumed that the holograph part came off of the thing. But your right, the plug in on the front would really look silly.

Obsession is Nute
10-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Please God, let them do the Emperor right this time!

I STILL use the 1997 POTF2 Emperor for my displays, he is the only decent one, IMO.

They need to do a vinyl cast for the robes because the cloth ones look terrible, especially on the hood, makes him look like David the Gnome from the pits of Hell.

No wierd expressions, just a classic, simple figure would be nice.

I personally would like to have seen him in a ROTJ wave with cane, but maybe they will add that in, anyway?

Excited for Needa, would like to see a good Cloud City Lando, though.

TheDarthVader
10-09-2008, 11:46 PM
I, too, am hoping that they get the emperor right this time. I like his figures as far as his character so I buy em all, but I have yet to see a "definitive" version. =(

BoShek
10-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah I want a Hood bad. The heck with the repaints.

obi-dad
11-04-2008, 02:58 PM
So, now that it looks like we might be getting the tables shown at SDCC with the 2009 ANH wave Obi-Wan & Brainiac, even though Hasbro said they wouldn't include them, what are the chances they now give us 2 Ughnaughts in the 2009 ESB wave? Personally, I'd rather have the tables, but I'm a greedy sob and want both.

DarkJedi5
11-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Here's the thing; (and I know they cost these out by wave) wave 1 this year we got an ewok and for what I think may be the frist time since Giant-Sized Teebo it didn't come with another "full size" figure. I think this shows Hasbro leaning away from figure two packs. Then again wave 5 has two; Jawa and Treadwell and Dice and Trinto. That being said, I just really don't think we'll see an Ugnaught two pack. I'm sure he'll come with some neat accessories but not another Ugnaught. But here's hoping I'm wrong!

bigbarada
11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, I would prefer a new Ugnaught to have a soft-goods apron and actual articulated legs like the vintage version. So, I'd gladly pay for that as a single figure and would prefer it over two more salt-shakers.

obi-dad
11-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, I would prefer a new Ugnaught to have a soft-goods apron and actual articulated legs like the vintage version. So, I'd gladly pay for that as a single figure and would prefer it over two more salt-shakers.

Well, I don't think having two Ugnaghts needs to be mutually exclussive from having articulated figures. We got the 2-pack of ewoks recently with better articulation than the potf2 ewoks, but then again, the last ewok only came with the wokling. I don't need a soft-goods apron, unless the length of it makes it necessary to be softgoods to allow for leg articulation.

bigbarada
11-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Well, I don't think having two Ugnaghts needs to be mutually exclussive from having articulated figures. We got the 2-pack of ewoks recently with better articulation than the potf2 ewoks, but then again, the last ewok only came with the wokling. I don't need a soft-goods apron, unless the length of it makes it necessary to be softgoods to allow for leg articulation.

Well, there's also the possibility that the figure could come with a large accessory like a damaged, white IG-88 or a box full of Threepio parts.

obi-dad
11-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Well, there's also the possibility that the figure could come with a large accessory like a damaged, white IG-88 or a box full of Threepio parts.

Now that's something I could totally get behind: a Ugnaught with a great sculpt and the damaged white IG-88 parts. Not so excited about more 3po parts.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-06-2008, 09:42 PM
I would also love a damaged white IG-88, but I doubt we'll see it packaged with an Ugnaught outside of a Battle Pack. I mean, rereleasing VOTC figures is one thing, but rereleasing them with new deco and a new figure on a basic card is quite another.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-08-2008, 12:22 AM
According to a few sites' Q&A, the Emperor in this wave will be the Evolutions mold with a new head. I'm still unsure why in the hell they're putting Palpatine in this wave at all. Oh, and the build-a-droid is HK-47 of KOTOR fame.

Obsession is Nute
11-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Excited for Needa. A new rebel trooper is always nice. A new, great version of the Emperor would be amazing. However, I do not think they have gotten him right in the modern era, and I doubt they are going to suddenly change course from the hideous monstrosities they have produced in the past.

The rest I could care less about.

I hope the second ESB wave includes: A new Piett, A new Zuckess, a New Lando, and Torryn Farr.

ESB is tough though. Of all the movies, it is by far the one with the fewest opportunities for figures. Alot of the characters remain in the same outfits throughout the movie, and very few new characters are introduced.

DarkJedi5
11-10-2008, 06:11 PM
I think that's why it's so frustrating when they make the Hoth rebel troopers too short and too preposed and too buff. There are only so many characters from the movie, would it kill you to get them right? I have not got a single Rebel Hoth trooper that can stand next to the Vintage Snowtrooper without looking stupid. I hope this new one is SA and perfect and that they can keep using it for slight repaints and headswaps until our Rebel forces have something resembling an army to defend Echo Base.

obi-dad
11-11-2008, 03:46 PM
I hope the second ESB wave includes: A new Piett, A new Zuckess, a New Lando, and Torryn Farr.

ESB is tough though. Of all the movies, it is by far the one with the fewest opportunities for figures. Alot of the characters remain in the same outfits throughout the movie, and very few new characters are introduced.

Yeah, that's why I was so shocked that ESB was listed as the movie that got 2 waves next year... as far as the count of figures that I have going, it had the least out of all six movies of figures left to do and figures that really needed an update. But, it definitely has plenty of waves left worth of figures to do. And I agree... a new Piett, Zuchuss (which was confirmed by Hasbro on the March 12th Q&A for some site), Lando, Torryn Farr (w/ console) & Willrow Hood (which was also already confirmed by Hasbro) sound like a great 2nd wave to me.

DarkArtist
11-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Excited for Needa. A new rebel trooper is always nice. A new, great version of the Emperor would be amazing. However, I do not think they have gotten him right in the modern era, and I doubt they are going to suddenly change course from the hideous monstrosities they have produced in the past.

The rest I could care less about.

would love to see new SA sculpts of Piett and Ozzel. I done with the Bounty Hunters for now, the only thing that would make me buy and $-Lom or Zuckess would be if they were on VOTC cardbacks, extreme SA and detail.

excited about the build a droid figure. love the look of HK-47.

would also love to see a Torryn Farr and some new SA Hoth Rebels as well.

obi-dad
11-14-2008, 04:57 PM
In the 2nd wave, if they can do a with a console, I almost wouldn't care what the other figures were, I would be happy. I am VERY happy with this list of figures, I just hope the sculpt & paint jobs turn out as well as the ANH wave looks from pics. And, if we can get some sweet accessories in the ESB wave like the tables in the ANH wave... all the better.

DarkJedi5
12-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Pretty sure this wave as been confirmed by Hasbro and photos are due out later this month in a toy mag but I'm not sure which one.

obi-dad
12-08-2008, 12:18 PM
One website sent in a Q&A to Hasbro to confirm one of the other ROTJ figures (there are several already confirmed) and Hasbro's reply was that there wouldn't be any more confirmations for this wave, as SW Insider would break this news this month. Whether or not they have the pics for the ESB wave, I don't know. In fact, I think the site was Han's Hideout... guess I'll check if I can find it before posting...

2. The 2009 RotJ Wave. You've confimed a new Leia of some sort (Slave Girl perhaps), Palace Guard Wooof, an Ewok, and a new Malakili. How about a hint at the other two figures in the wave - will we be running around with one of the figures from that wave yelling, "It's a trap!" Or will one of the new figures want to take our AT-STs out for a drive?

** We will not be revealing any more specific characters from the EpVI wave right now - look for a full preview in an upcoming issue of Star Wars Insider. One note - it turns out that we will not be doing Wooof after all, and instead have made sure he's in the 2010 lineup. In his place is another Nikto guard.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Legacy-Rebel-Honor-Guard-Prototype-First-Shot_W0QQitemZ120346623099QQihZ002QQcategoryZ15294 7QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l126 2) is a prototype of Captain Needa. The face is iffy at this point but he has great articulation.

obi-dad
12-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Weren't we supposed to get pics of this wave in Dec? The Insider is supposed to be coming out soon, but according to the cover, they aren't advertising that pics are coming in the magazine. Anyone here any new rumors about these pics?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Weren't we supposed to get pics of this wave in Dec? The Insider is supposed to be coming out soon, but according to the cover, they aren't advertising that pics are coming in the magazine. Anyone here any new rumors about these pics?
The most recent Insider (with Anakin climbing the Teth rock wall, or Han Solo, depending on which cover you get) doesn't have the pictures. I think there are going to be some kind of pictures in an upcoming Insider, but I don't know when it will be.

Snowtrooper
12-21-2008, 03:17 PM
It looks partially kitbashed rather than an all new figure. The lower half is definitely all TAC DST. The rest might be new, I don't know.

Why not just use the superior Grand Admiral Thrawn sculpt? Even if where the tunic buttons up is wrong, it looks way better than this.

Battle Droid
01-09-2009, 07:47 PM
PIC!

http://images.entertainmentearth.com/%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CHS87535Flg.jpg

bigbarada
01-09-2009, 08:04 PM
PIC!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Needa - ehhh...

Interesting face sculpt on Luke, it will be interesting to see what the final production figure looks like. I wonder if he will have interchangeable arms or will he just have to walk around with his flaps open all day long? :o

The Emperor looks like a total pass. What's the deal with that hood and why does he have a lightsaber?

Ugnaughts! Awesome!

Rebel Trooper looks good too, a little skinny but I think that's because they've fudged the sizes on the figures to make them all look the same height. So he probably only looks skinny in comparison to who he is standing next to.

Leia - pretty much just the VOTC Leia with a new head and ball joint elbows (the VOTC figure had elbow cuts, I believe). Looks good though.

obi-dad
01-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I can't believe it... finally a pic! But 2 Ugnaughts? I thought there was only going to be one? Or is this like the tables in the ANH wave that were supposed to be removed?

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Ugnaughts are interesting, but something seems off, not sure what.

Rebel Hoth Trooper does look a little skinny, but overall decent.

Needa looks cartoonish, but like Needa.

Leia's a step in the right direction, but the face also looks cartoony, and that body still has a long neck. The new arms are still in judgment.

The Emperor looks like an absolute failure. Is that supposed to be OLME? Doesn't really translate if so, and if not, WTF were they thinking?

Finally, it's the Luke we've been asking for quietly for a while. The soft goods looks like a total failure, like a repeat of the VOTC Luke except without see-thru problems. The face is interesting, a little aged but not entirely horrible. The arm is kinda cool but the clenched fist seems limited, his hand was open most of the scene, wasn't it?

JetsAndHeels
01-09-2009, 09:22 PM
The Luke looks like it has potential, but that robe has got to go!!

Ji'dai
01-09-2009, 09:43 PM
That's a comfy looking bathrobe that Luke's sporting there. I think the soft goods that the Deluxe Indiana Jones (with Ark) had looked better.

Needa's body looks like the Juno Eclipse/Deena Shan sculpt.

Good to see Ugnaughts again but they look strange in the pic, probably to do with their juxtaposition next to the taller figs.

The trooper looks cool, but will most likely be dinky compared to most of my Hoth troopers, which date from the POTF2 days.

JetsAndHeels
01-09-2009, 09:45 PM
That's a comfy looking bathrobe that Luke's sporting there. I think the soft goods that the Deluxe Indiana Jones (with Ark) had looked better.

Oh yeah, it definately looked better. Part of the reason for that is it did not look so big and bulky on Indy...this one on Luke looks too big IMO.

Obsession is Nute
01-09-2009, 10:23 PM
I think Needa looks pretty good. Same goes for the trooper. His little scarf makes him look different from the ones in the past. If you can remove it, then you could buy another and theoretically have 2 different toopers!

I need to watch ESB again. I don't remember the gray ugnaught having such a trim little waist, but then again, I do not remember ever looking. Blue ugnaugh looks good.

Luke and Leia. Just another version of em, I don't see anything wrong with them, per se. Leia's neck looks a little long... I think someone at Hasbro has it in for her, between that and her cankles...

The Emperor figure looks like one of the worst figures of him ever made, and with some of the ones we've seen these past couple of years, that is really saying something! I was hoping Hasbro might do away with the cloth goods on him and go back to the old vinyl saltshaker approach. Might not make for a lot of action, but it for display purposes it is the only way to go!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Hmm, kind of an odd selection here.

Needa looks way too skinny. The eBay prototype wasn't so bad so hopefully the final product will be good.

Luke . . . what the hell? I can't find a good picture of him from the end of ESB but that is just totally wonky. Why would they think the robe was a good idea? That tie is ridiculous! Eh . . . it'll be nice to have the figures from this scene, but it could have been better. And yeah, his hand should be open. Hopefully, as I said above, the final product will be better.

The Emperor is pointless. They should have put a ROTJ head onto the body instead. Does anybody prefer the OLME Emperor to the McDiarmid one? I could see them reissuing the spirit Anakin with Shaw's head, but not really this, especially since it was only in the hologram. It looks like a prune too.

It's nice to have more Ugnaughts. One looks significantly less piggy than the other, but I guess that's how they were in the movie too. The gray-suited one is too skinny at the waist though. But two is better than one.

The Rebel Trooper is extremely welcome if a little skinny. Did they even have the scarf in the movie?

Leia's neck isn't too long. She's actually probably the best figure from the wave based on these pictures. Too bad she'll have to stand next to that ridiculous Luke.

bigbarada
01-10-2009, 03:33 AM
Apparently OLME refers to the original Emperor from ESB, but what do the letters stand for?

Kind of interesting that Hasbro would make that version of the Emperor, it might be worth a second look for me.

sebillba
01-10-2009, 04:29 AM
UGNAUGHTS!!!! :love::love::love:In the absense of Bom Vimdin, these could well end up being my favourite figures of the year!

I like the Luke headsculpt, but as already said, my first thoughts were he's wearing Indy's robe.... only it fitted Indy a lot better.

The others are also looking pretty good to me, apart from Palpatine... I just can't work out that hood.... is it more ill-fitting soft goods, or some weird sculpting? It looks like he's got a wig of wavy hair.

sebillba
01-10-2009, 04:32 AM
Apparently OLME refers to the original Emperor from ESB, but what do the letters stand for?

I was wondering that as well. Something like Old Lady with Monkey Eyes perhaps?

obi-dad
01-10-2009, 08:30 AM

I could come up with Monkey Eyes... I'm sure that much is definitely correct. Old Lady makes as much sense as anything else I can come up with.

As far as the grey Ugnaught goes, it seems we've gotten several figures lately where the bottom half (starting at the waist) is too small for the top half. The recent Hans come to mind, where under the holster or belt, it looks like he had a couple of inches cut off his sides. I can't think of the others, but when I saw the Ugnaught, I had a very deja vu feeling

jedibear
01-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Interesting selection, but one thing that caught my eye is how small/slight these figures look. Are they shrinking? It's especially noticeable with Needa and the Hoth Trooper...they just look thinner than usual. Maybe it's just the shots...

I like the Luke head sculpt. I like the extra detail on the Ugnaughts...nice new variation on the Hoth Trooper (not to derail, but man I wish Sideshow would get started on Hoth!) and yeah, that Emeperor looks like odd pegwarmering fodder to be sure.

LTBasker
01-10-2009, 11:01 AM
The Trooper and Needa are pretty nice, though would prefer to have the Trooper without the scarf so his head wouldn't be obstructed from posing. Hopefully he'll be decent sized, although I wouldn't put it past them to shrink him down smaller than an Ugnaught based on the last one... I know it's uber-cold on Hoth, but shrinkage has a stopping point. :p

mtriv73
01-10-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm sure they are just shown out of scale with the others, but those arte the tallest ugnaughts I've ever seen. The thing that ticks me off is that it's listed as coming out in May. I really hope that's wrong. With Wave 5 allegedly coming out this month, that's an awfully long drought between new figures.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Just saw the picture of these in a Brian's Toys e-mail.

If they can just put a proper ANH head on that Leia, we might finally have the definitive figure for that particular character/outfit.

Luke's robe does have some problems, but perhaps a little adjusting can make it look a little better.

The Emperor is supposed to be a remake of the Evolutions figure. The head is more neutral, but could still use some work. Perhaps with the hood up it will look better. He doesn't seem to be swimming in the robes quite as much as the original figure.

Everything else looks all right. Looking forward to getting these.

Devo
01-10-2009, 12:13 PM
:rolleyes: When will they learn? Yet more softgoods monstrocities. Luke is awful. Looks like he might be a good figure underneath the parachute but then the pyjamas were the whole point of the bloody figure so what good is that? Interesting to see how the headsculpt fares through mass production though because it looks alright for once.

The Emperor is a waste of a figure as usual. I didn't need 'old woman' emperor and least of all one that isn't a hologram, even less still one with the usual parachute softgoods. Crap.

The other figures look good depending on their scale. Presumably what we see in that pic isn't an accurate reflection of what we're getting. It concerns me that the hoth trooper is shorter than leia in that pic. Its not like we don't have a precedent for that to actually be the case!

I'm liking the Leia figure but again mass production might be dentrimental to that head.

bigbarada
01-10-2009, 12:29 PM

"Old Lady, Monkey Eyes" would make sense. I'll have to rewatch my non-SE version of ESB to see exactly what the hood looked like. It appears that the entire head, hood and all, is sculpted (including that necktie-like thing hanging in front) and the rest is soft goods.

It really looks like that headpiece on the Rebel Trooper is removable. You can see the gaps between the head and scarf that wouldn't be there if the face was just painted on.

The robe for Luke doesn't bother me that much. If it was sculpted he would just be another salt shaker.

Devo
01-10-2009, 01:08 PM
The robe for Luke doesn't bother me that much. If it was sculpted he would just be another salt shaker.

Which would be perfectly sufficient for this particular version of luke. All he did was either lie down or stand still. I'd prefer him to look like he did on screen - not this.

Snowtrooper
01-10-2009, 01:47 PM
The Hoth Rebel Soldier looks like the winner of this wave, provided they don't make him shrimp size like last time. And no superwide stance like they have given to many Hoth figures in the past.

Leia is also lookin good.

Luke face sculpt is pretty good, but we'll have to see how mass production treats it. I like how it has the opened up right arm. Nice Touch. The softgoods look pretty bulky on it, but we'll wait and see how it looks in person.

Ughnaughts look great.

Needa is disappointing. They could have attached a head to a much better sculpt than that.

Emperor is another wait and see sort of a figure. It looks like the hood is too small.

Devo
01-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Luke face sculpt is pretty good, but we'll have to see how mass production treats it. I like how it has the opened up right arm. Nice Touch. The softgoods look pretty bulky on it, but we'll wait and see how it looks in person.

I expect it will look exactly the same or worse in person.

Emperor is another wait and see sort of a figure. It looks like the hood is too small.

The head overall looks too small and oddly squashed.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2009, 02:55 PM
The Emperor is supposed to be a remake of the Evolutions figure. The head is more neutral, but could still use some work. Perhaps with the hood up it will look better. He doesn't seem to be swimming in the robes quite as much as the original figure.
It shares the Evolution body, but it looks like the robe has been modified to not have the hood, as the hood is sculpted on.

"Old Lady, Monkey Eyes" would make sense. I'll have to rewatch my non-SE version of ESB to see exactly what the hood looked like.
Yup, that's what OLME stands for.

Here (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwars/5-02-1997.jpg) is the Emperor from that scene. There's so much shadow covering the face that the figure looks weird all . . . exposed, so to speak.

AmanaMatt
01-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Luke and Leia look pretty decent; leia looks too anime-ish

Needa - another imperial pegwarmer...I mean, I still see the other one in some stores from two years ago

Ugnaughts - look awesome

Hoth Rebel - looks great

Emperor - Looks AWFUL - instant pegwarmer.

bigbarada
01-10-2009, 04:38 PM
I think I'm actually looking forward to the Hoth Trooper the most. I haven't bought a Hoth Rebel Trooper since 1997 (and I don't own any of those anymore), so it will be nice for my Snowtrooper to have someone to shoot at. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Needa - another imperial pegwarmer...I mean, I still see the other one in some stores from two years ago

wait, when was there a needa figure? I can't remember.

and i'll be passing on most of these, probably just pick up Luke and Needa, if I don't already have him. I can't afford to spend more $$ on resculpts/psuedo rehashes on figures I already have.

bigbarada
01-10-2009, 04:44 PM
wait, when was there a needa figure? I can't remember.

and i'll be passing on most of these, probably just pick up Luke and Needa, if I don't already have him. I can't afford to spend more $$ on resculpts/psuedo rehashes on figures I already have.

I think he was referring to it being just another boring Imperial Officer figure who's going to rot on the pegs like Jerjerrod before him.

DarkArtist
01-10-2009, 07:02 PM
wave looks decent. will have to wait and see it up close before passing final judgement. so far i'm liking the Hoth trooper and Needa (have a thing for Imperials)

Kidhuman
01-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I edited the title to contain now with pics. I like the Luke, Leia and the Ugnaughts.

Tycho
01-11-2009, 01:01 PM
It would be cool if Luke came with his green ROTJ lightsaber! In SOTE he built it while wearing a bathrobe, I think.

The Ugnaughts would be awesome if they included a box of C-3PO parts.

There's nothing wrong with Imperial Officers. Sometimes they make good diorama fillers. Capt. Needa is not per se a character I really wanted, but I'll buy his figure most likely.

bigbarada
01-11-2009, 01:54 PM
It would be cool if Luke came with his green ROTJ lightsaber! In SOTE he built it while wearing a bathrobe, I think.

I just thought about that, at this point in ESB, Luke didn't even have a lightsaber. It had fallen to the bottom of that pit in Bespin. Oh well, I would say that it should be included regardless. I remember back in 1998 when they released a couple of Luke Skywalker figures without lightsabers (because it wasn't screen accurate) and I remember thinking that was kind of lame.

Battle Droid
01-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Prototypes,

http://i17.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/2a/25/e99a_1.JPG

http://i18.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/2a/26/a216_1.JPG

http://i17.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/2a/2a/c6e9_1.JPG

http://i13.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/2a/2b/51c6_1.JPG

jedibear
01-11-2009, 04:05 PM
The Ugnaughts would be awesome if they included a box of C-3PO parts.

Now that would be an inspired accessory....maybe for a future ESB wave release of Chewbacca instead?

DarkJedi5
01-11-2009, 04:38 PM
What a find by Battle Droid! That Hoth trooper (assuming what we see is what we get) is going to be an awesome figure. No way does he look too skinny and with the two heads and head coverings show is it possible that we'll have all of these accesories on a single card? Not to mention that laser canon is awesome. Finally some thing for the rebellion that is close to equivalent to the e-web.

Tycho
01-11-2009, 06:27 PM
The Ugnaughts look to be excellent figures regardless of accessories. Some effort went into making them really cool.

It looks as if Luke will come with his blue lightsaber? That's a mistake since it was lost at this point, along with his hand. But the main point is that Luke sells best when he includes a lightsaber, and this is an opportunity for Hasbro to "go green." :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I bet the Hoth trooper head will be a running change. Cool that we're getting one with a moustache and one without. Hasbro said they weren't likely to do multiple heads in one package, so unless they change their minds, then it won't happen.

It sucks that Luke doesnt seem to come with a separate closed forearm.

El Chuxter
01-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Luke should come with a pimp cane, fur coat, feathered hat, and giant sunglasses. Inaccurate? Yes. Awesome as hell? Indubitably.

Ji'dai
01-12-2009, 08:39 AM
The Ugnaughts would be awesome if they included a box of C-3PO parts. Wouldn't be difficult to make your own scrap pile with all the build-a-droid parts we got last fall.

There've been take-apart 3POs before too, plus the SAGA Bespin Chewie that came with the light-up 3PO head/torso.

We need an Ugnaught smelting furnace playset too.

obi-dad
01-12-2009, 08:52 AM
I bet the Hoth trooper head will be a running change. Cool that we're getting one with a moustache and one without. Hasbro said they weren't likely to do multiple heads in one package, so unless they change their minds, then it won't happen.

I wouldn't mind either way... can't display both heads with one body anyway, so even if they do offer both heads in one package, I will be buying at least 2.

There've been take-apart 3POs before too, plus the SAGA Bespin Chewie that came with the light-up 3PO head/torso.

We need an Ugnaught smelting furnace playset too.
Would love the smelting furnace playset... it would be really easy, but I doubt Hasbro would ever do it since it's too "boring". I've seen some really nice ones on some sites... looks like it would be an easier one to attempt, except for making (or finding somewhere) the "convayor" belt thing.

As far as the take-apart 3PO, I'd rather it come with a busted white IG droid, but since we got 2 Ugnaughts, that's even better.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I think he was referring to it being just another boring Imperial Officer figure who's going to rot on the pegs like Jerjerrod before him.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

I'll only probably get Needa and Luke then as I already have other versions of these figures. The 'Naughts look kinda nifty though.

obi-dad
01-12-2009, 10:31 AM

I thought the reason Jerjerrod warmed so much was that face sculpt. I bought one, but if it had been more neutral, I may have bought more.

pbarnard
01-12-2009, 10:49 AM
I thought the reason Jerjerrod warmed so much was that face sculpt. I bought one, but if it had been more neutral, I may have bought more.

I thought it was his "wide stance" that wouldn't work in certain air ports or the fact it's the "Thank you sir may I have another" vibe going on between the stance and the face.

bigbarada
01-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I thought it was his "wide stance" that wouldn't work in certain air ports or the fact it's the "Thank you sir may I have another" vibe going on between the stance and the face.

Jejerrod had so much going against him and has been a legendary failure because of it. I'm actually surprised that Hasbro is releasing another Imperial Officer figure so soon after him.

Tycho
01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I like to list stuff. It passes the time and challenges my memory.

That being the case, yes, Jerjerrod generated complaining because of his angry demeanor in his face sculpt, while the character was actually a man frightened by Darth Vader's shadow. He was at best a competant Imperial officer who used the Death Star's super laser to destroy large Rebel cruisers during the Battle of Endor.

Now for my list:

Cmd. Praj (never made?)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Adm. Motti
Gen. Tagge
Col. Yularen (Adm. Yularen during CW?)
Chief Bast

Capt. Lennox (never made)
Capt. / Adm. Piett
Adm. Ozzel
Capt. Needa

Gen. Veers

Cmd. Jerjerrod (Moff Jerjerrod?)
Lt. Renz

I don't think these figures ever pegwarmed / sat too much save for Jerjerrod. This is really attributable to his face sculpt. Jerjerrod is not the most boring character amongst this list by far. He saw some cool battle action. I don't personally mind his figure, but I don't rejoice over his face sculpt any. That inaccurate expression wouldn't have been my choice.

Oh, and I'd indulge in the EU a little more and do:

Capt. / Adm. Palleon
Gen. Covell
Dir. Isard
Adm. Krennel

JediTricks
01-12-2009, 02:35 PM
It would be cool if Luke came with his green ROTJ lightsaber! In SOTE he built it while wearing a bathrobe, I think.I'm pretty sure he built it while wearing the tan flak jacket vest on Tatooine.

The Ugnaughts would be awesome if they included a box of C-3PO parts.So true, but I'll take a second Ugnaught over the box if that's what they can afford. I think it'd have to be 2 boxes anyway.

Imp Officers are a snore, they're boring guys, they don't do anything in the movies but talk, they all have the same outfit. I don't have a problem with Hasbro releasing them, but they need to recognize that the casual collectors and kids are going to ignore the hell out of them. Ozzel didn't sell well, Veers didn't sell well, Jerjerrod didn't sell well, Juno Eclipse didn't sell well, Tarkin didn't sell well. You can nitpick each figure to death, but the overall issues remain constant throughout, and no matter how great the figure is made, no matter how perfect the execution, it's not going to be terribly exciting.

Tycho
01-12-2009, 02:39 PM
But you need the officers to command the stormtroopers, nevertheless.

pbarnard
01-12-2009, 03:08 PM
But you need the officers to command the stormtroopers, nevertheless.

No you don't. AS part of the cloning process they were imprinted with the ability to run infront of main characters firing weapons and die while able to mow down any background character.

As to the Ugnaughts with 3P0 parts why not reuse some or part of the older Escape Bespin Chewie pack in 3P0?

DarkArtist
01-13-2009, 11:38 AM
It would be cool if Luke came with his green ROTJ lightsaber! In SOTE he built it while wearing a bathrobe, I think.QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bigbarada;656591]I just thought about that, at this point in ESB, Luke didn't even have a lightsaber. It had fallen to the bottom of that pit in Bespin. Oh well, I would say that it should be included regardless. I remember back in 1998 when they released a couple of Luke Skywalker figures without lightsabers (because it wasn't screen accurate) and I remember thinking that was kind of lame.

I was just about to comment on the lightsaber situation myself with Luke. Why do we need one if he doesn't have it anymore after the duel.

would be cool to include the new green ROTJ version but i think in SOTE he builds it after he is on Tatoonie in Ben's House. can't find an image but i know it's shown in the comic as well as i believe in some of the old Star Wars Galaxy cards.

still i guess Hasbro needed to include the lightsaber since the figure would be too scene specific without, figured kids would pass on it if he didn't have it.

i would have prefered Hasbro make these figures in an exclusive battlepack style with perhaps a new 2-1B and a medical table and included the droids along with Luke and Leia with perhaps a backdrop scene of space with the Falcon blasting away, but that's just me.

obi-dad
01-13-2009, 11:44 AM
i would have prefered Hasbro make these figures in an exclusive battlepack style with perhaps a new 2-1B and a medical table and included the droids along with Luke and Leia with perhaps a backdrop scene of space with the Falcon blasting away, but that's just me.

Trust me, that isn't just you, I would have loved that too. But, I doubt hasbro would put the extra effort into a scene like that (compared to a more iconic/aggressive scene). But, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

bigbarada
01-13-2009, 11:53 AM
still i guess Hasbro needed to include the lightsaber since the figure would be too scene specific without, figured kids would pass on it if he didn't have it.

I actually specifically remember a kid in the Star Wars aisle at TRU, in early 1999, who was so excited that he finally found a Luke Skywalker figure. It was the Flashback "Floppy Hat" Luke and when this kid examined the figure closely, the first thing he asked was, "Where is his lightsaber?" Then with a crushed look on his face, he put the figure back on the peg.

That's when I decided that, no matter what scene the figure is from, every Luke Skywalker figure needs to have a lightsaber.

DarkJedi5
01-13-2009, 12:07 PM
But preferably the right lightsaber as opposed to VOTC Luke that came with his lightsaber and vader's hilt. I still don't really understand how that happened.

obi-dad
01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
But preferably the right lightsaber as opposed to VOTC Luke that came with his lightsaber and vader's hilt. I still don't really understand how that happened.

But, how many kids do you think would know the difference? Or for that matter if the lit end was even the right color (as long as it wasn't red for a jedi or blue/green for a sith).

DarkJedi5
01-13-2009, 12:33 PM
I suppose you're right but I feel that just because kids won't notice doesn't make it acceptable for the toy maker. Maybe I only feel this way because there are people like us out there that do notice and do care. In the end VOTC Luke's lightsaber wasn't that big a problem for me, I found an anakin with the stub and put it in there instead. I guess it just says lazy. I have no problem with every luke coming with a lightsaber. I did think it was dumb that hologram figs came with them despite not being scene accurate but it's the same logic, what good is an action figure without a weapon. It's why even EI Jar Jar Binks came with that dumb poll thing that Hasbro just invented so he could have a weapon.

obi-dad
01-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Oh... I totally agree DJ, we notice and since Hasbro is aware of the issues with certain factories have the correct tools, then they should make sure they do whatever they need to do to make them correctly. There's really no excuse and I feel they should offer free saber hilts and lit sabers to compensate for these issues over the years.

I meant to add that it is noticed and important in my original post, just that sinc eit was noted that kids find lightsabers important, (to them, and only them) it probably wouldn't matter whose saber came with it (to most kids)... I'm also sure there are kids that would notice the difference.

bigbarada
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM

That was supposed to be a nod to nostalgia. Kenner's X-Wing Luke mistakenly had Darth Vader's saber hilt sculpted onto his leg. I guess Hasbro thought that fans would appreciate them recreating that vintage mistake; but nobody really got it.

Also, those of us who grew up with Kenner's line, had to live with Luke having a yellow lightsaber until 1983. For the most part, none of us really cared.

TheDarthVader
01-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Hey................what does everyone think of the new emperor? Did they get it right for you this time?

I think he stinks...again. Why can't they get him right?

DarkArtist
01-13-2009, 01:15 PM
That was supposed to be a nod to nostalgia. Kenner's X-Wing Luke mistakenly had Darth Vader's saber hilt sculpted onto his leg. I guess Hasbro thought that fans would appreciate them recreating that vintage mistake; but nobody really got it.

Also, those of us who grew up with Kenner's line, had to live with Luke having a yellow lightsaber until 1983. For the most part, none of us really cared.

i don't remember seeing Kenner's X-Wing Luke have a lightsaber sculpted onto his leg, i thought the only figure to have that was the Bespin Luke ?

true about the yellow lightsaber, never really understood that but at least they didn't give us another injection molded push out saber like the previous Vader, Kenobi and Luke before.

i actually was lucky as a kid and was able to get 2 of the Jedi Luke for christmas one year and recieved botht the blue lightsaber version as well as the green lightsaber version. i now display my vintage Bespin Luke with the blue lightsaber, the yellow version sits in a box of other weapons and accessories.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-13-2009, 01:16 PM
No, it's definitely just that they're lazy, which is why the Ceremonial Luke also had the wrong saber, and so have many other Lukes before that and since then. I'm actually fairly certain they said in a Q&A that it was an honest mistake, not a nod to the vintage line.

And I just checked, yep, the X-wing Luke had no lightsaber of any kind. The Bespin one did indeed have a black lightsbaer but it looks like Luke's ANH saber, so it's almost right.

obi-dad
01-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Hey................what does everyone think of the new emperor? Did they get it right for you this time?

obviously not!!! Besides, I never asked for monkey face emperor. I'll get it for the BAD piece, since I'm getting all the other figures and will need it to complete the droid. Usually, I have only been getting 1 or 2 of the figures.

obi-dad
01-13-2009, 01:22 PM
No, it's definitely just that they're lazy, which is why the Ceremonial Luke also had the wrong saber, and so have many other Lukes before that and since then. I'm actually fairly certain they said in a Q&A that it was an honest mistake, not a nod to the vintage line.

I'm not sure they admitted it was a mistake... I thought they admitted the tool was at another factory and went ahead and included the wrong lightsaber on purpose.

DarkJedi5
01-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Really? I never knew that I remember when fans were complaining and Hasbro gave us a whole bunch of sxcuses about different factories and switching molds, etc. Actually even looking at photos of the vintage Luke I still can't find one that has the lightsaber on the leg. Is it from the 1978 line?

bigbarada
01-13-2009, 01:42 PM

And I just checked, yep, the X-wing Luke had no lightsaber of any kind. The Bespin one did indeed have a black lightsbaer but it looks like Luke's ANH saber, so it's almost right.

Yeah, I was thinking of the Bespin Luke, my bad. I was just taking my brother's word of that saber on Luke's belt being the wrong one.

Personally, I don't understand the whole saber handle thing. My brother is seriously into lightsaber replicas and having each one be perfect to it's film counterpart. But me, I've always believed that the draw of a lightsaber is it's blade, not the handle. Because the handle just hangs motionless from their belts when not in use and is covered up by the characters hands when it is in use. So it's not like we ever get a good look at the lightsaber handles themselves (except for that one scene in ROTJ where Vader is examining Luke's saber).

DarkJedi5
01-13-2009, 02:34 PM

obviously not!!! Besides, I never asked for monkey face emperor. I'll get it for the BAD piece, since I'm getting all the other figures and will need it to complete the droid. Usually, I have only been getting 1 or 2 of the figures.

I'm with obi-dad (and a ton of other poeple)! This figure is maybe the worst OT Emperor we've ever gotten! I thought figures were supposed to be getting better over time, not worse. I really don't want to buy this figure and if I can get the droid part anyother way (according to EE the wave will ship with Kashyyyk trooper, Vader, grey Clonetrooper, BF2 Engineer, Obi-Wan, and the Jawa/WED 2-pack.) I'll do it, even if it means buying another Darth Vader.

obi-dad
01-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Well, I hate to add this, but in Hasbro's defense, I have read on multiple forums that there have been people requesting this version of the original version head from the original ESB. I never understood that. The woman who played the Emperor in ESB never really appeared in the movie other than in hologram form... so why base a figure off that? I guess that's no different than the vintage Anakin Skywalker, though there was no "alive" version of old man Anakin in ROTJ in jedi robes.

DarkJedi5
01-13-2009, 05:36 PM
People have been requesting this? I wouldn't know, this is really the only forum I haunt but it seems hard to believe. Here's a question then; Since this version of the Emperor (since edited out of Empire in place of holo Ian McDiarmid) has been produced as a toy does this bode well for the Spirit Anakin being rereleased with the Sebastian Shaw head? Lately there have been several figures that were cut from the movies (the three from ROTJ and TAC's Biggs)and coming soon is the orange R4 BAD that was edited out of ANH. With so many other "cut" figures being made why is Hasbro so touchy about Sebastian Shaw?

El Chuxter
01-13-2009, 05:44 PM
People have been requesting Corran Horn, Lumpy, Jocasta Nu, Teek, and Beru Whitesun, too. I don't see any pics of those.

bigbarada
01-13-2009, 05:54 PM
People have been requesting Corran Horn, Lumpy, Jocasta Nu, Teek, and Beru Whitesun, too. I don't see any pics of those.

At least somebody is making Teek:
http://endorexpress.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=316:2009-mini&catid=28:special-features&Itemid=3

Rik Duel
01-14-2009, 02:32 AM
I think that emperor is MEANT to look like the current version of that scene in Empire. Looks more like that old Prune Face figure.

Slicker
01-14-2009, 04:10 AM
Personally, I don't understand the whole saber handle thing. My brother is seriously into lightsaber replicas and having each one be perfect to it's film counterpart. But me, I've always believed that the draw of a lightsaber is it's blade, not the handle. Because the handle just hangs motionless from their belts when not in use and is covered up by the characters hands when it is in use. So it's not like we ever get a good look at the lightsaber handles themselves (except for that one scene in ROTJ where Vader is examining Luke's saber).People have to have something to complain about. Even if the hilt was correct and the blade was the right color they'd bi*ch because it wasn't the right shade of the color.

Old Fossil
01-14-2009, 08:11 AM
People have to have something to complain about. Even if the hilt was correct and the blade was the right color they'd bi*ch because it wasn't the right shade of the color.

Agreed. These things are only 3/4" long!

Hasbro could make a Luke with Mace Windu's saber hilt and I probably wouldn't notice.

DarkArtist
01-14-2009, 08:49 AM

my mind is not made up at this moment. while i think Hasbro could have filled the gap with any other ESB figure then that of the Emperor I'm going to withhold judgement until i see him up close.

obi-dad
01-14-2009, 09:00 AM
I think that emperor is MEANT to look like the current version of that scene in Empire. Looks more like that old Prune Face figure.

I don't think so. What would the purpose of making a SE ESB Emperor? It would be the same as a ROTJ Emperor. I'd be willing to bet my POTF2 Tatooine Luke and Han that it's the original version... In fact if JT was reading this, I'm sure he could find the Hasbro Q&A from last year that Hasbro replied to a request for this figure and said it would be interesting.

JEDIpartner
01-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I think the wave looks pretty good. The face sculpt for Luke is better than most we've seen in a while (on the basic carded figures, that is). Is it U-3P0 that we're getting with that wave as the build-a-droid figure? I hope so!!!

The Ugnaughts are pretty good. The POTF2 ones were fine-- considering they are pretty much background filler anyhow.

The Emperor... man! Why can't they seem to get this dude right? We had the crazy over-sized hood version... then there was the under-sized hood version with the Evolutions pack and now we have the general sculpt of the Evolutions pack with a new head... which looks completely dire!!! I had to say that the POTF2 version of the Emperor is better than this piece of poo!!!! :yes:

That Hoth trooper (assuming what we see is what we get) is going to be an awesome figure. No way does he look too skinny and with the two heads and head coverings show is it possible that we'll have all of these accesories on a single card? Not to mention that laser canon is awesome. Finally some thing for the rebellion that is close to equivalent to the e-web.

I'm wondering if there will be a variant with different accessories and a different head. I'm hoping all of that will be packed onto a single card. That would be SUH-WEET!!!

Old Fossil
01-14-2009, 12:52 PM
I had to say that the POTF2 version of the Emperor is better than this piece of poo!!!! :yes:

That's the only version I can put in my Death Star arrival scene. Sad that a 10-year old figure has to do for a scene with so many 2-3 year-old sculpts.

JEDIpartner
01-14-2009, 12:55 PM
That's the only version I can put in my Death Star arrival scene. Sad that a 10-year old figure has to do for a scene with so many 2-3 year-old sculpts.

I'm totally with you on that Fossy! It just stuns me that, year after year, we get a new Emperor, but none of them can match the accuracy of something that has less articulation and primitive paint apps. The over-sized hood one wasn't too bad in the general sense. It was just that it had that OVER. SIZED. HOOD. It's amazing that something so simple could've ruined an otherwise fine figure.

DarkJedi5
01-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Is it U-3P0 that we're getting with that wave as the build-a-droid figure? I hope so!!!

Nope. Pretty sure it's KOTOR's HK-47. I have no idea why but that's what Hasbro said.

And as far as the Emperor goes, one of my favorites is the Darth Sidious from EI. Not much articulation and he can't hold a cane but the scuplt is the best one ever, IMO.

Snowtrooper
01-14-2009, 01:39 PM
And as far as the Emperor goes, one of my favorites is the Darth Sidious from EI. Not much articulation and he can't hold a cane but the scuplt is the best one ever, IMO.

I wish Hasbro would use this as an example for making a new Emperor. I don't really care if its unable to move its head or sit down. Its more important at this point that it looks right.

bigbarada
01-14-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm wondering if there will be a variant with different accessories and a different head. I'm hoping all of that will be packed onto a single card. That would be SUH-WEET!!!

Me too! It looks like the head with the moustache is meant to be the Rebel who yelled "C'mon!" when the first AT-AT went down (see attachment - I don't know if he's been given a name). That'd be awesome! :pleased:

Even if it's meant to be a running change (like the 2006 Endor Rebel Troopers), then I'm still happy to buy both figures. Duplicate heads or not, I would have bought two of these guys regardless.

obi-dad
01-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Me too! It looks like the head with the moustache is meant to be the Rebel who yelled "C'mon!" when the first AT-AT went down (see attachment - I don't know if he's been given a name). That'd be awesome! :pleased:

Even if it's meant to be a running change (like the 2006 Endor Rebel Troopers), then I'm still happy to buy both figures. Duplicate heads or not, I would have bought two of these guys regardless.

Like I said in a previous post, I'd be fine with a running change... you can't have both troopers simultaneously with only one body, so I"m buying (at least) 2 anyway just to have 2 bodies & 2 heads.

With these new(er) heads, isn't swapping them even easier than ever? I haven't tried this, but what I was wondering is for generic troopers with removable head gear (hats, helmets, scarves, or nothing) buying multiple figures and swapping across forces (x-wing/y-wing/a-wing/b-wing pilots, rebel troopers: Hoth, Endor,etc, imperial officer & troopers (Deathstar, deathstar gunner, etc) work to make even larger, more unique armies?

pbarnard
01-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Like I said in a previous post, I'd be fine with a running change... you can't have both troopers simultaneously with only one body, so I"m buying (at least) 2 anyway just to have 2 bodies & 2 heads.

With these new(er) heads, isn't swapping them even easier than ever? I haven't tried this, but what I was wondering is for generic troopers with removable head gear (hats, helmets, scarves, or nothing) buying multiple figures and swapping across forces (x-wing/y-wing/a-wing/b-wing pilots, rebel troopers: Hoth, Endor,etc, imperial officer & troopers (Deathstar, deathstar gunner, etc) work to make even larger, more unique armies?

It works to a point. There are slight differences in all the head/neck joints. Sometimes you have to make larger hole or sand off part of the post to make it fit. The worst is when you have to back fill with Sculpey or like product.

JEDIpartner
01-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't know if he's been given a name

If he hasn't been given a name, I think we should call him Bubb A. Nazkar. He looks like such a redneck! LOL

bigbarada
01-14-2009, 02:50 PM
If he hasn't been given a name, I think we should call him Bubb A. Nazkar. He looks like such a redneck! LOL

Whatever it is that passes for a toilet in the Star Wars universe, I'm sure he has one of those in his front lawn. :D

Actually, seeing as how they hired Norwegian extras for the Hoth Battle, I always thought he looked like a Viking. I pick Derreht Kirre (spelled backward it's Erik the Red, with a couple of extra 'R's thrown in because this is Star Wars).

DarkArtist
01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Nope. Pretty sure it's KOTOR's HK-47. I have no idea why but that's what Hasbro said.

hands down that is the best Darth Sidious / Emperor to date. that's basically the only version i use besides the Evolutions version for a ROTJ display (final Jedi duel)

would love to see a possible running change similiar to the Endor Rebels. loved getting both version of the guy and would love to see Hasbro do something similiar to the Hoth Solider

JediTricks
01-14-2009, 05:11 PM
But you need the officers to command the stormtroopers, nevertheless.What OT movie does this happen again?

No you don't. AS part of the cloning process they were imprinted with the ability to run infront of main characters firing weapons and die while able to mow down any background character. HAW! Love that one, too funny.

As to the Ugnaughts with 3P0 parts why not reuse some or part of the older Escape Bespin Chewie pack in 3P0?Yeah, that was what I thought of right after I posted before, the head is wrong on 3PO but it's livable.

I actually specifically remember a kid in the Star Wars aisle at TRU, in early 1999, who was so excited that he finally found a Luke Skywalker figure. It was the Flashback "Floppy Hat" Luke and when this kid examined the figure closely, the first thing he asked was, "Where is his lightsaber?" Then with a crushed look on his face, he put the figure back on the peg.

That's when I decided that, no matter what scene the figure is from, every Luke Skywalker figure needs to have a lightsaber.Totally!

I meant to add that it is noticed and important in my original post, just that sinc eit was noted that kids find lightsabers important, (to them, and only them) it probably wouldn't matter whose saber came with it (to most kids)... I'm also sure there are kids that would notice the difference.It matters to Lucasfilm, and that sort of thing mattered to me when I was a kid.

Yeah, I was thinking of the Bespin Luke, my bad. I was just taking my brother's word of that saber on Luke's belt being the wrong one.

Personally, I don't understand the whole saber handle thing. My brother is seriously into lightsaber replicas and having each one be perfect to it's film counterpart. But me, I've always believed that the draw of a lightsaber is it's blade, not the handle. Because the handle just hangs motionless from their belts when not in use and is covered up by the characters hands when it is in use. So it's not like we ever get a good look at the lightsaber handles themselves (except for that one scene in ROTJ where Vader is examining Luke's saber).It's a big deal, why have toys that are 90% there and then just holding a generic green stick? We still to this day do not have 1 good version of the ROTJ Luke saber hilt! That's my favorite hilt, and they keep using other Obi-Wan sabers instead. They actually prototyped the toy version but it was the removable saber style and got canned. It's like getting Vader's chest box details right vs. just having any old crazy buttons.

People have to have something to complain about. Even if the hilt was correct and the blade was the right color they'd bi*ch because it wasn't the right shade of the color.Hell yeah! And that does bother me from time to time.

Agreed. These things are only 3/4" long!

Hasbro could make a Luke with Mace Windu's saber hilt and I probably wouldn't notice.I totally would have been bugged by that as an 8 year old. The hilts have specific designs which give them character.

I don't think so. What would the purpose of making a SE ESB Emperor? It would be the same as a ROTJ Emperor. I'd be willing to bet my POTF2 Tatooine Luke and Han that it's the original version... In fact if JT was reading this, I'm sure he could find the Hasbro Q&A from last year that Hasbro replied to a request for this figure and said it would be interesting.March 12, '08:

GalacticHunter.com: Now that the cat is out of the bag about Darth Vader's Transmission (Comic Con Exclusive), which version of the Emperor's floating head will we get? The recut version? The crazy monkey eyes (pre-DVD) version? Or might there be a variant?
Hasbro: The Emperor is from the Empire Strikes Back - Special Edition, rather than the monkey-eyes version. However, there may be a future Emperor figure himself down the road that has those primal primate eyes. Stay tuned…!
Surprised to see this one all but confirmed so far back. And it wasn't even a request for that figure.

And as far as the Emperor goes, one of my favorites is the Darth Sidious from EI. Not much articulation and he can't hold a cane but the scuplt is the best one ever, IMO.Mine too, the way they did the pose and the hood over the eyes works great, so much better than cloth. And with modern tech, they could make the face more accurate too.

obi-dad
01-14-2009, 06:10 PM
In fact if JT was reading this, I'm sure he could find the Hasbro Q&A from last year that Hasbro replied to a request for this figure and said it would be interesting.

March 12, '08:

GalacticHunter.com: Now that the cat is out of the bag about Darth Vader's Transmission (Comic Con Exclusive), which version of the Emperor's floating head will we get? The recut version? The crazy monkey eyes (pre-DVD) version? Or might there be a variant?
Hasbro: The Emperor is from the Empire Strikes Back - Special Edition, rather than the monkey-eyes version. However, there may be a future Emperor figure himself down the road that has those primal primate eyes. Stay tuned…!
Surprised to see this one all but confirmed so far back. And it wasn't even a request for that figure.[/QUOTE]

JT is the man :thumbsup: I knew you could back me up.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-14-2009, 06:48 PM
When I was 8, we didn't have lightsaber hilts with our figures. The lightsabers were built into their arms and that's the way it was and we LIKED IT! Back then it was hard to tell what color Luke's and Ben's sabers were in ANH.

On the new figures, I rarely notice whether the hilt is accurate or not. I do notice when figures have trouble holding on to a lightsaber.

Obsession is Nute
01-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I agree with everyone, that TPM Darth Sidious was an amazing figure, even by today's standards.

I have him displayed on my CIS shelf, flanked by Dooku and General Grevious.

A mold somewhat similiar to that figure, but with a cane, based on the ROTJ mask would be my dream Emperor figure.

JEDIpartner
01-15-2009, 09:34 AM
I agree with everyone, that TPM Darth Sidious was an amazing figure, even by today's standards.

I have him displayed on my CIS shelf, flanked by Dooku and General Grevious.

A mold somewhat similiar to that figure, but with a cane, based on the ROTJ mask would be my dream Emperor figure.

Absolutely!!!!!

obi-dad
01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
I think I've asked before, but JEDIpartner, what is that avatar? Everytime I look at it, I think of Alice, from the Brady Bunch.

JEDIpartner
01-15-2009, 03:31 PM
That is actor Beth Grant as Sissy Hickey from the film/series "Sordid Lives". :)

Tycho
01-15-2009, 04:20 PM
She reminded me of Sarah Palin having a bad day.

JEDIpartner
01-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Of course it would!! LOL

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
I keep thinking that the Leia figure is A LOT like the one we got in the short lived Princess Leia collection. Am I far off on that?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-16-2009, 05:22 PM
I keep thinking that the Leia figure is A LOT like the one we got in the short lived Princess Leia collection. Am I far off on that?
Yes. :p That figure was based on her ANH appearance and her costume was all-cloth. They're really not even close.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Yes. :p That figure was based on her ANH appearance and her costume was all-cloth. They're really not even close.

hahaha thanks for the clarification, JJL! :thumbsup:

bigbarada
01-17-2009, 12:23 AM
I think Leia is the VOTC body with a new head and new arms (ball-joint elbows instead of elbow cuts).

Tycho
01-17-2009, 12:32 AM
No. That looks like CommTech Leia who had a sculpted upper body and molded hood positioned up. I never cared for that figure, but maybe this End-of-ESB Medical Frigate Leia will somehow turn out better. For one, they could match the cloth and the plastic better.

I'm not sure what THIS Leia needed softgoods for at any rate. I suppose since she needs no accessories, if they SA her and give her the softgoods to allow you to use the SA, then it's something.

But they really didn't need to do much but a saltshaker for this figure (though I did want her made).

bigbarada
01-17-2009, 12:42 AM
PIC!

I was having trouble finding the link to the photos so I figured I'd quote it here so people don't have to go back to page 1 to find it.

This is the VOTC Leia:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/OTC/VOTCleiafront.jpg

Here is the Commtech Leia:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/potf2/POTF2ctleiafr.jpg

After comparing, I'm pretty convinced that it's a retooled VOTC Leia, especially since I don't think they can just stick ball-joint shoulders onto sockets that weren't originally designed for them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2009, 12:47 AM
No. That looks like CommTech Leia who had a sculpted upper body and molded hood positioned up. I never cared for that figure, but maybe this End-of-ESB Medical Frigate Leia will somehow turn out better. For one, they could match the cloth and the plastic better.

I'm not sure what THIS Leia needed softgoods for at any rate. I suppose since she needs no accessories, if they SA her and give her the softgoods to allow you to use the SA, then it's something.

But they really didn't need to do much but a saltshaker for this figure (though I did want her made).
That's definitely not right; the Commtech Leia is in the older, taller style they used to use for Leia. Not to mention that she has soft sculpting and poor articulation by today's standards. Here (http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2ctleialoose.jpg) is a picture; there's also the fact that on the frigate Leia her collar is sculpted onto the torso but it's sculpted on her head on the Commtech one.

The strange studio lighting on the EE picture makes it hard to tell if it's the VOTC Leia (http://www.rebelscum.com/OTC/VOTCleiafront.jpg)'s torso, but I'm leaning towards saying it is.

EDIT: bigbarada beat me to it, but I agree with him.

Tycho
01-17-2009, 08:14 AM
OK. Your case is proven. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
So, take a peek at this wave in Hasbro packaged and non-packaged photos:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1902

Sorry about making you puke like that, I should have warned you ahead of time.

WTF is up with the gauzy robe on Luke, it's actually WORSE than the prototype? And the production eyes, worst paint I've ever seen in this line.

Leia's face doesn't look a damned thing like her even though it's distinctive, and the paint is doll-esque.

The Emperor's paint looks worse except for the eyes which now look somewhat accurate; the shot of the hoodless Emp confirms that Hasbro is insane, what is that supposed to be? It doesn't look right for anything, like a bad mishmash of OLME and SE Emperor, I guess.

Needa's face looks eh from the loose shot, but the packaged one looks recognizable. Looks like this is gonna be the default officer body, what with the separate piece for the rank pips and decoders.

Seems like the Hoth Rebel is gonna have a running change rather than interchangeable parts. I don't mind, but the deco is not really bringing it home, needs addressing.

No pics of Ugnaught(s) yet.

JT is the man :thumbsup: I knew you could back me up.Sho' nuff!

When I was 8, we didn't have lightsaber hilts with our figures. The lightsabers were built into their arms and that's the way it was and we LIKED IT! Back then it was hard to tell what color Luke's and Ben's sabers were in ANH.Actually, we hated it, the stupid sabers kept coming out and breaking, the arms looked ridiculous, that stuff sucked back in the day.

No. That looks like CommTech Leia who had a sculpted upper body and molded hood positioned up. I never cared for that figure, but maybe this End-of-ESB Medical Frigate Leia will somehow turn out better. Man, are you always wrong these days? :p That's very clearly the VOTC Leia body with a new head and arms.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2009, 07:52 PM
At least they come with U-3PO. Sweet!

JediTricks
01-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Really, U-3PO = sweet? I couldn't care less, it's not really the right deco for that droid, doing a 3PO seems like a big step backwards, and I wanted that HK-47 Hasbro during Q&A claimed was in the wave.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2009, 08:37 PM
I was in a rush when I last posted, so here's more thoughts:

I guess it's actually E-3PO from Bespin; I mixed him up with U-3PO from Tantive IV. I'd rather have a movie character with dialogue before some crappy EU thing. :p

Luke's robe looks like junk. In the movie, he's sitting down for most of the scene, so I guess they were trying for that; still, it turned out horribly.

Palpatine's face paint looks off, but the sculpt is pretty good for what it's trying to be. Weird that they put Ian McDiarmid on the card though.

Needa is pretty good. I like the separate pips but what if they make an officer with those silver things on the other side?

Leia is fine, if a little boring in that packaging with no accessories other than that ubiquitous blaster.

Too bad we're not getting the fu manchu rebel soldier, but he looks pretty awesome anyway. Hopefully he's not a damn midget again. :p

Old Fossil
01-19-2009, 08:37 PM
This wave's looking worse all the time.

Tycho
01-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Notice how they're making you buy Vader again?

Mad Slanted Powers
01-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Notice how they're making you buy Vader again?
Only if you don't want to buy the Luke. They both appear to come with the head of the droid, if those pictures are correct.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Actually, we hated it, the stupid sabers kept coming out and breaking, the arms looked ridiculous, that stuff sucked back in the day.The only part of my sabers that broke was the thin tip. The advantage with those in-arm sabers were that you could have lightsaber duels between characters by actually swinging the sabers into each other without having them fall out of their hands. I didn't much care for the saber that came with the Bespin Luke, as it was harder for him to hold. Figures these days are kind of hit and miss as to how well they can hold their sabers, and that is just for when they are standing still.

That being said, I definitely don't want them to start making figures with in-arm sabers.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Only if you don't want to buy the Luke. They both appear to come with the head of the droid, if those pictures are correct.
Exactly - why in the absolute hell can't people figure this out?!?

Devo
01-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Apart from the ugnaughts and a good headsculpt on Cpt.Needa its a disappointing wave. I'm still reserving judgement on the hoth troopers - the lack of skirt on the jacket is something I'm finding increasingly stupid looking the more I look at it. And we have yet to see this guy standing next to another figure in a pic to get a proper idea of his size and proportions, He does look a bit skinny.

The other figures in the wave I really wanted were medical frigate Luke&Leia and these are a big let-down. I thought the proto shots of luke were awful with exception of a pretty good head for once but now based on the carded pic and the new loose pic we don't even have that - the paint doesn't measure up to the proto. And predictably the softgoods look as bad if not worse. Meanwhile my favourite part of the Leia figure didn't make it beyond the proto either - I was quite fond of the face, thought it looked rather pretty and had at least some resemblance to fisher. Looks more like a padme figure now to go with the usual inappropriately billowing softgoods.

Needa is alright but I'd rather they choose a different base for the officers than the DS trooper - don't like the bulbous knees, the badly hinged ankles or the crookedly hanging skirt.

Aaaand the less said about the emperor the better. Or maybe not - its ****.

DarkJedi5
01-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Yeah but if I want to finish the droid I still have to get either the craptastic Emperor or ANOTHER Kashyyyk trooper. I think I've got like 7 of them and I only buy maybe three of each clone. Why couldn't the torso come with the Ben or Vader? I wouldn't mind an extra of those, they were good figures and fit in a bunch of diorama scenes....

obi-dad
01-20-2009, 07:06 AM
You sure Luke's robe isn't a left-over from a 6" figure? :rolleyes:

Tycho
01-20-2009, 07:15 AM
A hardshell robe for Luke would've worked in this case, as many would want to pose him standing there with his arm around Leia, watching the Millennium Falcon take off in search of Han Solo. At least that is the scene from the very end of ESB that I am going to make.

Don't worry: 2-1B will be in the background, but without a hospital bed, I don't think he'll be posed working on Luke.

Then again, if there is an open panel on his bionic arm, that might be cool to display with the medical droid, so I might reconsider recreating that, rather than Luke making moves on his sister.

Darn! Maybe Luke will come with an alternate arm so that I can still make a display out of him and Leia in West Virginia.

Old Fossil
01-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Luke needs an alternate head w/towel wrap and cucumbers over his eyes; bare feet w/cotton between his toes; and a big glass of some kind of energy drink.

Then he'd be a perfect Luke Skywalker: Coruscant Spa & Rehab.

Devo
01-20-2009, 08:04 AM
You sure Luke's robe isn't a left-over from a 6" figure? :rolleyes:

Hasbros persistent use of softgoods is enough to make me cry.

Jargo
01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
What a pile of junk!

Snowtrooper
01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Leia-The head sculpt is decent, but not as good in earlier pics. The softgoods dont seem to be working like they did in earlier pics either. I think they would've done better kitbashing Early Bird Leia rather than VOTC.

Luke-The softgoods look like a mess. Looks like some customization will be in order. Headsculpt still looks nice, but the paint job on the eyes makes it look a little weird. Hasbro had made some good headsculpts of look in the past, but them screwed them up with bizarre paintjobs & off color plastic(TAC Ceremonial Luke comes to mind). What is that instrument that he comes with? And I don't mean the lightsaber.

Emperor-I actually like this one a little more than when I first saw it. But its still not much brag about.

Captain Needa-I think the headsculpt looks pretty good. Its close enough for me anyways. I wish they would've used something other than the DST body & legs, but it'll do.

Hoth Trooper-The best of the wave. Nice sculpt and I like all the gear it comes with, especially the cannon. I don't mind that the bottom of the coat is missing so much, but its sporting a wider stance, which is a negative.

BAD E-3P0-Another nice droid addition. I think its better articulated than the RA7s we've gotten, I just wish it was vac metalized

Devo
01-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I think they would've done better kitbashing Early Bird Leia rather than VOTC.

I didn't think of that - you're right that would have been far better, the dress on that figure was beautifully sculpted.

What is that instrument that he comes with? And I don't mean the lightsaber.

Now thats just filthy.

Snowtrooper
01-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Now thats just filthy.

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Some people's minds are always in the gutter. :D

Jargo
01-20-2009, 05:13 PM
it's the prong thing that 2-1B uses to test the servos in his arm i think. either that or it's a karaoke mic.

Obsession is Nute
01-20-2009, 08:39 PM
You are not the only one who feels that way, Devo.

Devo
01-20-2009, 10:48 PM
You are not the only one who feels that way, Devo.

Good to know. My question is just what can president Obama do? Will this Hasbro softgoods issue be on his agenda?

Obsession is Nute
01-20-2009, 11:36 PM
I generally don't like government meddling with businesses. However, in this instance, the crimes are so great, I would support the banning of softgoods.

Devo, write a book like "The Jungle" except call it "Bathrobe Medical Frigate Luke" that will change public opinion for sure!

pbarnard
01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Good to know. My question is just what can president Obama do? Will this Hasbro softgoods issue be on his agenda?

More soft goods because a loud vocal minority is just that, OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD!

I'm tired of plastic capes that I don't use or need. Bad for the environment, wastes valuable petroleum to make when instead they could go with cotton or other fibers whic are abundant.

Soft good haters are PLANET DESTROYERS AND ANTI-ENVIRONMENT!!!:whip:

Old Fossil
01-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Seriously, who'd prefer a plastic cape Vader or Dooku or Garindan to one with a cloth cape??? Plastic shell Tusken Raider to the VTSC version?

There are hits & misses w/softgoods but overall I think the argument for plastic capes and cloaks is weak.

Maybe it all boils down to personal preference, I don't know.:tired:

Devo
01-21-2009, 03:54 PM
I generally don't like government meddling with businesses. However, in this instance, the crimes are so great, I would support the banning of softgoods.

Devo, write a book like "The Jungle" except call it "Bathrobe Medical Frigate Luke" that will change public opinion for sure!

I had to google that, pardon my ignorance. I understand your point. Now lets just hope those workers putting out the softgoods are really having a terrible life that I can draw attention to or that the softgoods themselves are possibly contaminated due to poor practices. If people went vegetarian over that book, it'll be sculpted robes all the way after I'm done exposing the softgoods industry for what (I hope) it is!!

Seriously, who'd prefer a plastic cape Vader or Dooku or Garindan to one with a cloth cape??? Plastic shell Tusken Raider to the VTSC version?

*Firmly raises hand* Yeah that'd be me. I only want one good (modern standard) plastic cape for Vader, neutral drape! Once I get that you SG people can have all the see-through, hang-glider choker capes you want. And I prefer the Saga and POTJ tuskens to the VTSC. Although I grant you the SG on that figure had a great texture, and glued flat in the sticky out bits it looks fine.

but overall I think the argument for plastic capes and cloaks is weak.

Weak? Well if the appearance of your figures isn't important to you and its all about functionality I can see why you'd think that. Having said that I can't for the life of me understand why appearance isn't important to people.

I'm tired of plastic capes that I don't use or need

You say that like as though plastic capes are still the norm...if only that were true...

DarkArtist
01-21-2009, 04:22 PM
the more and more i see that Emperor figure the more and more i'm saying gawd how awful. what was hasbro thinking with that figure. still somewhat keeping an open mind with the wave, but the emperor is on the low end of the list

Old Fossil
01-21-2009, 04:41 PM
*Firmly raises hand* Yeah that'd be me. I only want one good (modern standard) plastic cape for Vader, neutral drape! Once I get that you SG people can have all the see-through, hang-glider choker capes you want. And I prefer the Saga and POTJ tuskens to the VTSC. Although I grant you the SG on that figure had a great texture, and glued flat in the sticky out bits it looks fine.

Weak? Well if the appearance of your figures isn't important to you and its all about functionality I can see why you'd think that. Having said that I can't for the life of me understand why appearance isn't important to people.

I'm guessing you are only concerned about how a figure looks standing on a shelf, like a statue. If so, I understand. Many of the AOTC Jedi look good in their shell-robes, just standing there.

I'm guessing you're not really worried about cramming one of those things into a vehicle. Try getting any modern plastic-cape Vader into his TIE. Try getting any modern plastic-cloak Obi-wan into a Landspeeder.

These are, after all, action figures. If you can't get them to sit in the accompanying vehicles, or do more than just stand there like a statue, then, well... all you have IS a statue. I can appreciate that very much, as most of my Star Wars figures just sit on a shelf, but I also like to know that if one of my Emperor's Royal Guards wants to hijack the Millenium Falcon, then he can at least sit at the controls.:bandit:

plasticfetish
01-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Hmmm... I'm only seeing one figure that comes with an arm. I suppose the other comes with the Ugnaught 2-pack? (Did you guys cover this already?)

Seeing as how I'm someone who hasn't bothered to buy that Vader figure yet, and that I'll probably skip Luke unless he really wows me in person, and that I like the looks of the rest of the wave; I think I may just end up completing one of these BADs yet.

...or continue adding part to my awesome Franken-droid.

pbarnard
01-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I had to google that, pardon my ignorance. I understand your point. Now lets just hope those workers putting out the softgoods are really having a terrible life that I can draw attention to or that the softgoods themselves are possibly contaminated due to poor practices. If people went vegetarian over that book, it'll be sculpted robes all the way after I'm done exposing the softgoods industry for what (I hope) it is!!

You say that like as though plastic capes are still the norm...if only that were true...

You'll only expose how much less environmental impact Soft Goods has in terms of CO2 footprint and material wastes than the HARMFUL AND PETROLEUM SUCKING plastic capes.

FUNCTIONALITY AND APPEARANCE matter. Since the movies, the things they're based off all are soft goods and not plastic, I want soft goods over all. Show me one instance of how a plastic cape can be molded to go with a figure in multiple poses and you may have something but since you problably can't, SOFT GOODS WINS AGAIN!!! Plus SOFT GOODS were part of the vintage line!!!

If you don't know how to manage soft goods with the use of a spray bottle of water with some fabric softner, or even running watter, than too bad. Doesn't take much effort.

I say that because I don't want to throw out the useful bag of plastic capes I have to further take up space in a landfill. If I can't find a custom use for some of them, I may just donate it to the people who can't get over it so they'll not damage the planet for the rest of us

Devo
01-21-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm guessing you are only concerned about how a figure looks standing on a shelf, like a statue. If so, I understand. Many of the AOTC Jedi look good in their shell-robes, just standing there.

I'm guessing you're not really worried about cramming one of those things into a vehicle. Try getting any modern plastic-cape Vader into his TIE. Try getting any modern plastic-cloak Obi-wan into a Landspeeder.

These are, after all, action figures. If you can't get them to sit in the accompanying vehicles, or do more than just stand there like a statue, then, well... all you have IS a statue. I can appreciate that very much, as most of my Star Wars figures just sit on a shelf, but I also like to know that if one of my Emperor's Royal Guards wants to hijack the Millenium Falcon, then he can at least sit at the controls.:bandit:

But this is where you get SG haters wrong - you seem to equate our hate of SG with a preferance for statues. If I wanted statues I'd collect statues. I like articulation as much as the next person. The figures of old had less articulation than figures today but I never considered them statues.

My problem with hasbro at the moment is that every darth vader has a soft-goods cape - would it kill them to put out even one Vader with a quality sculpted cape?? I don't think it would sign the death warrant of the line if they did just one bloody sculpted cape Vader per every 5 SG vaders they put out a year. Likewise for old Ben or tatooine Luke or Lando Calrissian. These are the core characters who have to be put out a few times a year one way or another - whats the problem with doing a good sculpted version now and again. If a sculpted robe prevents SA on one particular Obi-wan kenobi so what!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I bet that there wouldn't be such hate for soft goods if Hasbro could do them better. The robes and capes always come off looking humongous and bunchy, which is annoying. On the Luke here, if they had made his outfit smaller, then it would likely have been better. I want full functionality with the figures, but I also want them to look good. For instance, I wish some of the cantina figures had come with soft goods, as their plastic skirts prevent them from sitting (M'iiyoom Onith comes to mind). I just want the figures to be able to do any pose from the scene they're in - sometimes this means more articulation or soft goods, but it needs to be done well.

Devo
01-21-2009, 05:39 PM
You'll only expose how much less environmental impact Soft Goods has in terms of CO2 footprint and material wastes than the HARMFUL AND PETROLEUM SUCKING plastic capes.

How much less? Enlighten me on that one because I must say I can't get my head around how you think thin plastic capes, added to the rest of the PLASTIC FIGURE, is going to make any noteworthy difference, even on mass production scale. And if you have such a principled aversion to plastic production maybe you shouldn't buy action figures at all.

Since the movies, the things they're based off all are soft goods and not plastic, I want soft goods over all.

You see to me that sounds just about as stupid as me saying 'since the things they're based off are flesh and blood people and not plastic, I want flesh and blood over all'.

Show me one instance of how a plastic cape can be molded to go with a figure in multiple poses and you may have something but since you problably can't, SOFT GOODS WINS AGAIN!!!

I can't. My response to Old fossil should illustrate that I would like the option of sculpted robes and capes if, pardon me and my boring preferances, I would just like to have my figure standing still in a diorama.

If you don't know how to manage soft goods with the use of a spray bottle of water with some fabric softner, or even running watter, than too bad. Doesn't take much effort.

I'll give that a try.

obi-dad
01-21-2009, 06:36 PM

How much less? Enlighten me on that one because I must say I can't get my head around how you think thin plastic capes, added to the rest of the PLASTIC FIGURE, is going to make any noteworthy difference, even on mass production scale. And if you have such a principled aversion to plastic production maybe you shouldn't buy action figures at all. Well, I'm glad someone else saw the irony in that argument as well.

I'll give that a try.
So, for SG's like Luke's robe, are we supposed to wash it in HOT water, dry HOT (with fabric softner) and hope it shrinks enough to fit just one figure instead of the 2 that could probably fit in it now? I LOVE SG's when done right (which I will admit may be as high as 25-40% of the time and that's being EXTREMELY generous). Even the shots of the production Leia now show HUGE hips due to it puffing out, compared to the original shot. How many people passed on the original vintage Luke & Obi due to SGs? I did. But that Lando was awesome (in my opinion). I totally agree that there are still cases for plastic and as far as the new Luke, I would have preferred 2 plastic robed figures, one for the Luke-making-the-moves-on-sis and one for reclining Luke. It would have looked 100% better and given Hasbro more figures to sell.

pbarnard
01-21-2009, 06:39 PM
And if you have such a principled aversion to plastic production maybe you shouldn't buy action figures at all.

Just Swift-ly making a Modest Proposal. The Irish should apreciate that.

But in seriousness I have asked about that and they're trying to assure me about how much is recyclable/reclaimed as opposed to new.

Obsession is Nute
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
More soft goods because a loud vocal minority is just that, OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD!

I'm tired of plastic capes that I don't use or need. Bad for the environment, wastes valuable petroleum to make when instead they could go with cotton or other fibers whic are abundant.

Soft good haters are PLANET DESTROYERS AND ANTI-ENVIRONMENT!!!:whip:

The environment is not my primary concern when it comes to collecting. If that makes me anti-environment, then so be it. If that makes me a planet destroyer you can call me the Death Star. But for the sake of argument, let us say we are going to talk about the waste of petroleum. Would it not make more sense to talk about some real ineffiencies like private planes or hummers? I would think they do a little more harm to the environment, than Han's desert scarf or General Grievous's cape.

As to whether we (soft good haters) are a minority... I would ask a Moderator. Has a poll been conducted determining the preference of SSG members of soft goods v.s. plastic goods? It seems like a fair breakdown, from mere observation. We hear from both sides on the issue as well as those who seem to prefer the material that works best for the figure's purpose.

If indeed we soft good haters are a minority, I will acknowledge that market-wise, soft goods have the right to be the standard. However, I will not concede the point, I will be a proud soft goods hater! There is no shame in being a minority of opinion. We have the right to express ourselves, even if our expressions result in nothing.

pbarnard
01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
The environment is not my primary concern when it comes to collecting. If that makes me anti-environment, then so be it. If that makes me a planet destroyer you can call me the Death Star. But for the sake of argument, let us say we are going to talk about the waste of petroleum. Would it not make more sense to talk about some real ineffiencies like private planes or hummers? I would think they do a little more harm to the environment, than Han's desert scarf or General Grievous's cape.

As to whether we (soft good haters) are a minority... I would ask a Moderator. Has a poll been conducted determining the preference of SSG members of soft goods v.s. plastic goods? It seems like a fair breakdown, from mere observation. We hear from both sides on the issue as well as those who seem to prefer the material that works best for the figure's purpose.

If indeed we soft good haters are a minority, I will acknowledge that market-wise, soft goods have the right to be the standard. However, I will not concede the point, I will be a proud soft goods hater! There is no shame in being a minority of opinion. We have the right to express ourselves, even if our expressions result in nothing.

Supply and Demand. (Plus Marketing Research). If there was a significant demand for it, than it will be done.

Jargo
01-21-2009, 10:53 PM
these things are made so kids and adults with fat fingers like beer cans can get them on and off easily. so taking them on and off doesn't stretch and rip them.
My advice is learn to sew. stitch a new seam further in than the ones already there then trim off the excess fabric. it isn't rocket science.

Droid
01-23-2009, 04:43 PM
I'll pass on Frigate Luke and Leia and there were sure fire purchases for me when they were announced.

I'll also pass on the Hoth Rebel Soldier. Why don't they make one like the Vintage Hoth Soldier instead of making that guy with a beard over and over?

I'll probably only pick up Needa.

Rik Duel
01-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Wow, I have gone from intending to buy all of this wave, to none of it. They just look...junky.

Jargo
01-23-2009, 06:11 PM
best part of the wave is the gun that comes with the hoth rebel.

Slicker
01-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Why don't they just make the soft goods out of the same material that they usually make Vader's cape and skirt out of? That's really thin material and would look much better than them just wrapping a tube sock around him.

bigbarada
01-23-2009, 07:08 PM
I'll pass on Frigate Luke and Leia and there were sure fire purchases for me when they were announced.

I'll also pass on the Hoth Rebel Soldier. Why don't they make one like the Vintage Hoth Soldier instead of making that guy with a beard over and over?

I'll probably only pick up Needa.

I think there is going to be a running change, like the 2006 Endor Rebels, with one bearded Hoth Rebel trooper and one clean shaven Hoth Rebel trooper. I personally wanted the guy with the horseshoe moustache, but I'll still get these.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-23-2009, 07:17 PM
I want to see one with the brown vest that could represent Cal Alder (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cal_Alder), Tigran Jamiro (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tigran_Jamiro), Shawn Valdez (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shawn_Valdez) or Tamizander Rey (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tamizander_Rey).

bigbarada
01-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Shawn Valdez (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shawn_Valdez)

That's got to be the worst name in the history of Star Wars characters. Does he have an uncle who supplies coffee to the galaxy? :rolleyes:

Anyways, all of those outfits were shot indoors in the London studio and the other outfit was for the ground troops on location in Norway. Why the difference? Don't ask me. Star Wars movies are made in different parts of the world over the course of years, so some inconsistency should be expected.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-23-2009, 07:45 PM
That's got to be the worst name in the history of Star Wars characters. Does he have an uncle who supplies coffee to the galaxy? :rolleyes:But he was named for a 13 year old kid who died from leukemia.

bigbarada
01-23-2009, 07:58 PM
But he was named for a 13 year old kid who died from leukemia.

Okay, so that begs the question, why this guy?

DarkJedi5
01-23-2009, 09:46 PM
He was a huge SW fan and it was part of the Make a Wish program to get him written into the EU by the Decipher card game. It's kind of like KT-D2 or whatever.

bigbarada
01-23-2009, 09:58 PM
He was a huge SW fan and it was part of the Make a Wish program to get him written into the EU by the Decipher card game. It's kind of like KT-D2 or whatever.

Understood. For the record, I think that pink Astromech was named R2-KT.

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 10:33 PM
The only part of my sabers that broke was the thin tip. The advantage with those in-arm sabers were that you could have lightsaber duels between characters by actually swinging the sabers into each other without having them fall out of their hands. I didn't much care for the saber that came with the Bespin Luke, as it was harder for him to hold. Figures these days are kind of hit and miss as to how well they can hold their sabers, and that is just for when they are standing still.

That being said, I definitely don't want them to start making figures with in-arm sabers.They did that once, the Saga AOTC Anakin figure. It sucked. :p

That's got to be the worst name in the history of Star Wars characters. Does he have an uncle who supplies coffee to the galaxy? :rolleyes:Don't read the "Behind the Scenes" on that name, or you'll realize what a douchey shot that was. Of course, if Decipher could have done their jobs halfway decently (ever), they could have at least Star Warsed up that name to "Shoan Val'desz" or something, but my theory is that their unstated goal in getting the SW license was to screw it up.

Of course, me dumping on Decipher doesn't help matters since the real Shawn Valdez loved playing the CCG, and spent his last day on Earth at a SW CCG tournament.

He was a huge SW fan and it was part of the Make a Wish program to get him written into the EU by the Decipher card game. It's kind of like KT-D2 or whatever.It wasn't from Make-a-Wish, read the Behind The Scenes part of the linked entry on the character and it explains it all.

bigbarada
01-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Don't read the "Behind the Scenes" on that name, or you'll realize what a douchey shot that was.

I know, I'm such an insensitive jerk.:D

I agree that they should have done something to it to make the name at least sound like a Star Wars name.

JEDIpartner
01-24-2009, 11:37 AM
That's got to be the worst name in the history of Star Wars characters. Does he have an uncle who supplies coffee to the galaxy? :rolleyes:

But he was named for a 13 year old kid who died from leukemia.

*beats bigbarada with a stick*

Obsession is Nute
01-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Poor Barada. You have my sympathies, we have all been in one of these situations. I was once joking with one of my bosses that his parents were pretty smart, because they spelled Eric with the appropriate C not a K. Then my other boss, who was fairly quiet says, "My son's name is Erik and we chose to spell it with a K." Needless to say, I was more red than a royal guard.

I do understand what you meant, though. With a handful of exceptions, it is kind of the Star Wars standard to have crazy names with wierd spellings, even for the humans.

Jargo
01-24-2009, 03:16 PM
oh jeez why not name a frackin planet after some kid who played on the rail tracks and got mown down by a transamerica freight train? Or name a wookiee or ewok after some kid who died from picking his nose til his brains imploded. makes me feel billious all this schmaltzy heartfelt superworthy crud.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-24-2009, 04:33 PM
oh jeez why not name a frackin planet after some kid who played on the rail tracks and got mown down by a transamerica freight train? Or name a wookiee or ewok after some kid who died from picking his nose til his brains imploded. makes me feel billious all this schmaltzy heartfelt superworthy crud.Well, those instances would be memorializing stupidity. This was a kid who apparently was a passionate player of the CCG game, so they put his name on a card. Why they chose that character I don't know. If they "Star Warsed" his name, then it might not be recognizable, and would defeat the purpose of it.

Tycho
01-24-2009, 04:40 PM
If they want to memorialize stupidity, why not name some of the Gungans after these kids: like "Mesa Rod Blogoiovich!"

bigbarada
01-24-2009, 05:02 PM
If they want to memorialize stupidity, why not name some of the Gungans after these kids: like "Mesa Rod Blogoiovich!"

Just call him "Blago." :D

Mad Slanted Powers
01-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Just call him "Blago." :D

That would make a good Hutt name. Blago the Hutt.

NODDY
01-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Hello,
some sites are saying the B.A.D. is U-3PO ..... I strongly believe it is E-3PO from Bespin. Is there a confirmation somewhere by Hasbro yet?

Jargo
01-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Well, those instances would be memorializing stupidity. This was a kid who apparently was a passionate player of the CCG game, so they put his name on a card. Why they chose that character I don't know. If they "Star Warsed" his name, then it might not be recognizable, and would defeat the purpose of it.

fine, name a pet dog after the kid, name a newborn kid after the dead kid. keep it personal. Don't invade something that is designed for mass consumerism with cloying sentimental nonsense. that's all i'm saying.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-27-2009, 07:22 PM
This is kind of disappointing, but it seems like the Ugnaught will be a running change instead of a two-pack. Here (http://www.rebelscum.com/2009/TLCugnaught11.jpg) is a carded shot.

Tycho
01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Life_Is_Not_Perfect.

Old Fossil
01-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Bummer. At least he comes with a datapad. About the same amount of plastic as the Ep.I Watto, I guess.

Man, Hasbro is stingy.

Jargo
01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
the torso under the apron is the same so they'll just omit the apron and change the head.

DarkJedi5
01-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I really like the carbon freezing chamber control pannel. Cool for dioramas (cause I didn't get the playset).... I wonder if there will be a new piece of equipment with the Version 2 as it seems that the Hoth troopers may feature new weapons?

El Chuxter
01-28-2009, 12:01 PM
The reason there's only one per card is that he's anatomically correct under that apron, and it cost Hasbro too much money on plastic. :beard:

Ugnaughts are pimps, yo.

JediTricks
01-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Poor Barada. You have my sympathies, we have all been in one of these situations. I was once joking with one of my bosses that his parents were pretty smart, because they spelled Eric with the appropriate C not a K. Then my other boss, who was fairly quiet says, "My son's name is Erik and we chose to spell it with a K." Needless to say, I was more red than a royal guard. You should have called him a jerk for eavesdropping, turned it around on him. ;)

oh jeez why not name a frackin planet after some kid who played on the rail tracks and got mown down by a transamerica freight train? Or name a wookiee or ewok after some kid who died from picking his nose til his brains imploded. makes me feel billious all this schmaltzy heartfelt superworthy crud.
See BB? As long as we have the internet, no matter how much of a tool your posts make you look, someone else will always come along and make a worse one. :p

Jargo
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
I feel no shame for having an opinion and voicing it. even if it flies in the face of popular perception. God forbid that anyone should have an alternate view to anyone else.