PDA

View Full Version : "A more elegant weapon...."

stillakid
10-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Old Ben Kenobi poo pooed Luke's suggestion about using blasters (laser guns) by saying that they are random and clunky. He finished the thought by describing the Jedi's use of the lightsaber as being an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

So, while watching the new Clone Wars series, it seems as if most battles the Jedi fight are in space and the primary weapon is the integrated blaster.

When exactly was this "more civilized age" that Old Ben was talking about when Jedi didn't use blasters?

cookiemonster
10-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Ok most of the New Clone Wars I have watched have used the Lightsabers quite a bit, the blasters seem to come from either the Bad Guys or the Clone Troopers (who arent Jedi).

Also for the most part we havent really seen the Jedi's kick off yet, we have seen the Movie and Lightsabers were used in that a lot, the first Episode had Yoda defeating a whole lot of Battle Droids with a Lightsaber and the Force, the 2 Episode after that had Plo Koon fighting in space with his Lighsaber with back up from Clone Troopers, this 3 Episode last night had them in ships so they couldnt really use Lightsabers, so to say Jedi use blasters is just plain wrong, Old Ben didnt say Blasters werent used, just that the Lightsaber was a more elegant weapon, and it did come from a more civilized age "before the Empire, before the Dark Times".

stillakid
10-11-2008, 01:11 PM
so to say Jedi use blasters is just plain wrong,

It is? Anakin et al seem to have nothing against using the ships blasters when engaging the enemy in a space battle. :confused:

cookiemonster
10-11-2008, 01:27 PM
No Anakin uses starship weapons, not hand blasters, which is what Old Ben was refering to, obviously saying your father was one of the best pilots and a cunning warrior, means he more than likely used ship weapons in combat, but the Jedi didnt go round shooting people with blasters.

Also I cant see a Jedi leaning out their ship and fighting with a Lightsaber while piloting said ship, yes the Ships Weapons are used, but look at the ground combat, I have yet to see a Jedi use a Blaster, maybes they do in the EU PT, I dont know I havent read any of that, do the Jedi use Blasters after and during the 3 OT movies then yes they do, but you did reference the More Civilized Era and the Clone Wars.

bigbarada
10-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Well, if Star Wars blasters are anything like real life guns, then the larger and more powerful they are, the more inaccurate and clumsy they tend to be.

There's a reason why sharpshooters and sport shooters use handheld shotguns, rifles and pistols and not vehicle-mounted 50 cal machine guns. So if Obi-Wan feels that handheld blasters are clumsy and random, then his opinion of starship weaponry would be ten times worse.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to put the Jedi inside fighter craft. It just doesn't jive with anything else they do in the movies or what they claim to stand for.

cookiemonster
10-11-2008, 09:47 PM
I cant agree with you on that, because its like comparing a handgun to a US Warship main gun, you just cant.

The Ion Cannons on a Spaceship arent the same as a Blaster Pistol, for one you are using computers to fire the Ion Cannons on the Spaceship, a Blaster Pistol you are more at risk to miss with (hence the line they are more random), I suppose it has to do with human error.

stillakid
10-12-2008, 12:41 AM
obviously saying your father was one of the best pilots and a cunning warrior, means he more than likely used ship weapons in combat, but the Jedi didnt go round shooting people with blasters.

No, that's not accurate at all. Old Ben says that Anakin was a great star pilot... and a cunning warrior.

The "star pilot" part does not "obviously" infer that Anakin was a fighter pilot. In fact, if anything, it likely infers that Anakin was a freighter pilot or something non-military. The phrase "cunning warrior" in our vernacular (and we can assume in Lucas's) refers to a hand-to-hand combat soldier, not a pilot or naval type.

It's this Clone Wars storyline that thrusts the majority of Jedi battles into the realm of space using flying machines and mounted blasters that seems to be in conflict with Old Ben's description of the Old Republic and the role of the Jedi in it.

I guess that the entire situation doesn't really make sense. The Jedi were modeled after our Earthly Samuari who enjoyed prominence in a time when firearms were not a part of battle. When the rifle came to be, the time of the Samuari was over.

So in the same way, to have Jedi running around on the ground with swords while their enemies have the advantage of blasters seems anachronistic. As we saw in AOTC and ROTS, the Jedi don't really have a chance when faced with blasters.

Then to put them into star fighters equipped with blasters really doesn't fit with the picture that Old Ben painted.

There is a disconnect here with what we were led to believe about the Jedi during the Clone Wars and what we're seeing in the movies and in the new TV show.

cookiemonster
10-12-2008, 11:24 AM
I dont agree, see to me I have always thought when Old Ben states A Great Star Pilot and a Cunning Warrior, to me it sums up Starfighter Pilot, not Freighter Pilot - I suppose its how you look at it, or see it from a certain point of view, I see it as Jedis were fighting Battles in Space against the Bad Guys (Latter to find out these Bad Guys were droids, I always thought it was going to be Mandalorians, and Boba Fett was the last of them, wasnt I wrong on that, lol).

But stating Jedi use blasters, they dont as far as I know, in respect to the Clone Wars, yes they use ship weapons, but thats not the same as using a blaster.

bigbarada
10-12-2008, 11:53 AM
I think that's seriously too much of a stretch. It's more likely that Lucas just disregarded what had been previously established so he could go back to his formula of space battles.

cookiemonster
10-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Well I think I am going to agree to disagree, I obviously cant get you to see it from the other side of the fence, and I see what you say but dont agree with either of you, so its easier to say agree to differ - after all theres only one person who knows for sure, and I wouldnt believe him even if he sided with me, because of the fact he has altered so much, I dont even think he knows now.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-12-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm with the Cookie guy on this one. When I heard star pilot and cunning warrior, I assumed he meant he was also a fighter pilot. Besides, we see Vader piloting a TIE in ANH. So, he must have had some fighter pilot experience someplace.

I don't think of hand blasters in the same way as the guns on a ship either. It would be a waste of resources to not have the Jedi involved in space battles. As Anakin demonstrated with his pod-racing skills, the Force is something that would help make Jedi great pilots, because there are so many things that they have to be aware of and anticipate. Through the Force, they can be one step ahead of everyone else.

Also, in the prequels, we have Obi-Wan saying "how uncivilized" after shooting Grievous, and on more than one occasion saying he hated flying. I also seem to recall something about an early attempt at having the Jedi in starfighters, but can't recall which EU source it was from. It would have to have been Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest, or one of the novels from around that time, such as Cloak of Deception.

stillakid
10-12-2008, 10:34 PM
There is no "agreeing to disagree" on this one. The original trilogy established that the Jedi were a society centered around honor and they fought in the same way, with honor, with "swords"... not blasters of any kind.

The Jedi were "elegant" and "honorable." They were not a brute force army who fire aimlessly at the faceless enemy. That's the picture painted "between the lines" by the Original Trilogy (Huyck, Katz, Kasdan). The Prequels and the new Clone Wars aren't doing a very good job at following that.

bigbarada
10-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Well, the only other possible explanation would be that the "more civilized age" that Obi-Wan was referring to was actually pre-Episode 1. So maybe he was referring to how he perceived the Jedi who lived before his time.

That's another major stretch, though, and I think I just have to agree with stillakid in that this is most likely just Lucas choosing to ignore his own established continuity.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-12-2008, 10:55 PM
There is no "agreeing to disagree" on this one. The original trilogy established that the Jedi were a society centered around honor and they fought in the same way, with honor, with "swords"... not blasters of any kind.

The Jedi were "elegant" and "honorable." They were not a brute force army who fire aimlessly at the faceless enemy. That's the picture painted "between the lines" by the Original Trilogy (Huyck, Katz, Kasdan). The Prequels and the new Clone Wars aren't doing a very good job at following that.

But the OT established that Anakin was a pilot, and we see him as Darth Vader shooting down ships. Nowhere in the OT did it say that the Jedi didn't use blasters of any kind. Obi-Wan simply said that the lightsaber was the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Does that mean that a Jedi would refuse to fight if he doesn't have a lightsaber? If the Jedi are guardians of peace and justice, would they refuse to use their piloting skills to fulfill that position if necessary? If the survival of the Jedi and the Republic depended on it, I think they would use their piloting skills where needed.

I wish I could remember what EU story that was, but it talked about the Jedi looking into starting a starfighter program. I think there may have been some sort of controversy about it, but in the end it was necessary.

stillakid
10-12-2008, 10:59 PM
But the OT established that Anakin was a pilot.

True, but Old Ben also recognizes Luke as a "pilot" and all Luke has flown has been his Skyhopper and the Landspeeder. Clearly, the term "pilot" from Old Ben isn't exclusive to star fighters. We know that Old Ben isn't specific, but there is no inference that the younger Anakin as described in the OT was a fighter pilot when Obi Wan met him and decided on his own to train him as a Jedi Knight.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-12-2008, 11:56 PM
True, but Old Ben also recognizes Luke as a "pilot" and all Luke has flown has been his Skyhopper and the Landspeeder. Clearly, the term "pilot" from Old Ben isn't exclusive to star fighters. We know that Old Ben isn't specific, but there is no inference that the younger Anakin as described in the OT was a fighter pilot when Obi Wan met him and decided on his own to train him as a Jedi Knight.But we know he fought in the Clone Wars. Obi-Wan called him a great pilot and cunning warrior in the same sentence. Why would great pilot and warrior not fly a starfighter during a war?

The story I was thinking of was Jedi Apprentice Special Edition: Deceptions. The first half took place 10 years before TPM. The Jedi had started a Jedi pilot program run by Jedi Knight Clee Rhara. The project did not have the full support of the Council. Clee Rhara believed that the Jedi should have a squad of starfighter pilots, but some did not agree with her. As mentioned in the book:

There were some on the Council who believed that Jedi should continue to take rides on consular ships or haulers, or borrow small transports for short flights. They believed that Jedi pilots would lead to a Jedi fleet, a comle operation that would divert their attention from peacaekeeping efforts in the galaxy.

Without re-reading it, I don't know if it said anywhere why the program was cancelled, but at the start of the second half of the book which takes place 12 years later, characters are saying it was probably for the best. It must have been restarted at least in a minimum form before AOTC because Obi-Wan flew a starfighter to Kamino and Genosis. The events of the Clone Wars necessitated the use of Jedi as pilots.

But, even without all of this, the Jedi pilots were not a "brute force army who fire aimlessly." Nothing on-screen showed a fleet of Jedi fighters. Their ability to use the Force meant that they wouldn't have to fire aimlessly. And lastly, once again, nowhere in the OT did it say that Jedi never used blasters of any kind.

sith_killer_99
10-13-2008, 01:13 AM
"Your Father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of the Jedi Knight. It's not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire."

So is Obi-Wan talking about a time before the war, during the war, or both, it seems a bit vague to me.

Before the dark times could certainly mean before the Clone Wars began, which would certainly fall into line with the "civilized age" quote.

In any event, I don't think it really is that big of an issue.

stillakid
10-15-2008, 09:34 PM
So is Obi-Wan talking about a time before the war, during the war, or both, it seems a bit vague to me.

Before the dark times could certainly mean before the Clone Wars began, which would certainly fall into line with the "civilized age" quote.

In any event, I don't think it really is that big of an issue.

"Your Father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of the Jedi Knight. It's not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire."

Reading this quote above it definitely IMPLIES that Jedi would never bother using blasters in any form. That would be like shoving a gun in the hands of a Samurai, the Earthly group that the fictional Jedi were partially modeled on. It just doesn't fit their idiom for Jedi to fly around in a spaceship getting into dogfights just as it makes no sense to see a Jedi running around a surface battlefield with a blaster in hand.

It's the same for non-Jedi. We would EXPECT to see non-Jedi flying around in ships and using firearms on the ground, but it would seem very wrong to see them igniting laser swords.

The picture of the Jedi painted by the OT is of a "civilized" and "honorable" fighting force that would never demean their overall mission by using clumsy and inaccurate laser blasters either in hand or in a flying machine. I was initially bothered by this image when watching the live-action Prequels and the animated Clone Wars seem to accentuate this alteration of "perceived continuity" for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-15-2008, 10:01 PM
It's the same for non-Jedi. We would EXPECT to see non-Jedi flying around in ships and using firearms on the ground, but it would seem very wrong to see them igniting laser swords.

So then, do you take issue with General Grievous?

True, but Old Ben also recognizes Luke as a "pilot" and all Luke has flown has been his Skyhopper and the Landspeeder. Clearly, the term "pilot" from Old Ben isn't exclusive to star fighters.
But what did Luke do while piloting his T-16? Used the vehicle's blasters to hunt wamp rats.

The picture of the Jedi painted by the OT is of a "civilized" and "honorable" fighting force that would never demean their overall mission by using clumsy and inaccurate laser blasters either in hand or in a flying machine. I was initially bothered by this image when watching the live-action Prequels and the animated Clone Wars seem to accentuate this alteration of "perceived continuity" for me.
I think, as has been hinted in this thread, that by the Clone Wars, the Jedi were already becoming somewhat outdated. Remember a few important quotes:

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We can only protect you. We can't fight a war for you."

Mace Windu: "We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers."

So while they were still thinking of themselves as peacekeepers above all else, their ultimate allegiance was to the Republic. They knew they had to defend it at all costs. At the onset of the Clone Wars, as they were seeing their own power diminishing, they were thrust into the roles of Generals in the Grand Army of the Republic, which was something entirely new to them. But they took the role since it was what they felt needed to be done.

In order to have "more firepower," according to the Jedi Starfighter video game, the starfighters were developed for the Jedi around this time. They would allow them to better compete with the droid army, by somewhat playing on their level, with machines against machines, so to speak.

Anakin took to the vehicles with enthusiasm and ease, modifying his over and over again, as he had always been interested in mechanics and machines. Obi-Wan, who was more in touch with the living force (as shown in his preference for, say, Boga over something like Grievous' wheel bike), was uncomfortable flying and using blasters from the beginning of the war right to its end, as is shown several times in the films. He continued to do it, though, as it was what was required of him. I know that many other Jedi excelled in piloting, and I cannot say what the opinions across the board were. However, looking at the two main characters, there was a wide range of opinions; Obi-Wan more closely followed the Jedi Order than Anakin did, of course, so we can assume that many other Jedi felt as he did, that the use of machinery and blasters was sort of a necessary evil. This showed that they were not, perhaps, adapting to the times and demands of the war. As Grievous and Dooku pointed out in the most recent episode of The Clone Wars, the Jedi were extremely compassionate for their armies, a weakness that the separatists and Sidious were, of course, more than happy to exploit.

Their inability to conform to modern times and see beyond their arrogance is what eventually led to their downfall. The use of more technology, I think, played a big part in that.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-15-2008, 10:50 PM

"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire."Reading this quote above it definitely IMPLIES that Jedi would never bother using blasters in any form. That would be like shoving a gun in the hands of a Samurai, the Earthly group that the fictional Jedi were partially modeled on. It just doesn't fit their idiom for Jedi to fly around in a spaceship getting into dogfights just as it makes no sense to see a Jedi running around a surface battlefield with a blaster in hand. That quote alone might paint that picture, but with the talk of Anakin being a pilot and fighting in the Clone Wars, along with the fact that Vader flew a fighter, I never got the impression that the Jedi would never be fighter pilots. It might not be their preferred method of combat, but it would be hard for them to be keepers of the peace during a galaxy-wide war if all they were doing was running around with their swords and moving a few things with their mind. Their Force ability could give them an advantage as a fighter pilot, so it makes sense that at least some of them would be utilized in that position.

El Chuxter
10-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Samurai in many clans were trained in the arts of firearms once the weapons were introduced by the Portuguese. Even those who didn't use them directly had to be familiar with them, as it quickly became obvious that a dirt-poor farmer with a relatively cheap musket could kill a dozen or so of these highly-trained warriors wearing expensive armor and carrying even more expensive swords without even getting close to them.

Phantom-like Menace
10-16-2008, 01:16 AM
I have to agree with those pointing out that "not as clumsy or random as a blaster" doesn't mean they never used them, nor does it necessarily apply to fighter-based weapons even if it explicitely speaks against blasters being used.

I don't think I know anyone outside of the Internet who thought prior to the prequels that Anakin didn't fly a starfighter and shoot things with its weapons. In the OT, Obi-Wan proves he's fine with using fighter-based weapons. During the Death Star run, he certainly didn't tell Luke to get out and attack the Death Star with his lightsaber.

Even ignoring that we're talking about Obi-Wan "From a Certain Point of View" Kenobi, no one uses langauge that precisely, and after a simple sentence that tells Luke basically that Jedi didn't go around with blasters, he certainly wasn't going to open up the Jedi Handbook to Chapter 12, Section 4, Subsection B, Clauses 9 & 10: Exceptions to Restricted Use of Uncivilized Weapons Where They Apply to Vehicle-based Blasters and Multi-limbed Cyborg Attack.

Darth Jax
10-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Everything Obi-Wan tells Luke in ANH is from a certain point of view - namely "his." He's taken it upon himself to watch over Luke, protect him and if the day comes to help train him as a Jedi. He can't just run off to Alderaan with the plans to the death star and leave Luke behind, too many things could happen while he's gone. He certainly didn't need Luke's help to arrange passage on a ship, Luke proved to be a distraction and needed minding during that excursion.

So why give him the lightsaber and suddenly decide to tell him about his father, he needed a "hook" to get Luke to come with him. He could've told Luke that his father was raised on Tatooine, raced swoops, married a senator - pretty much Anakin's whole life story. But he focused on being a warrior and pilot, the 2 aspects sure to get Luke's attention. Why describe the lightsaber as an elegant weapon for a more civilized time? Because those are the days Obi remembers fondly, his time at the Jedi temple, "before the dark time, before the Empire." Luke could already use a blaster, he had a rifle with him on the landspeeder. But he'd certainly never handled a lightsaber, and may not have ever seen one even on holovid being stuck on Tatooine.

It was all part of the recruitment package, nicely delivered, by Obi to prompt Luke to run off one some fool errand with that crazy old wizard - just as his uncle Owen was concerned about.

cookiemonster
10-16-2008, 05:44 PM
[quote=stillakid;642821]There is no "agreeing to disagree" on this one. The original trilogy established that the Jedi were a society centered around honor and they fought in the same way, with honor, with "swords"... not blasters of any kind. [quote]

Show me where in the Clone Wars a Jedi has used a Blaster, I dont mean a ships weapon, I mean a blaster (blasters are hand held weapons), I may have missed the use of one.

2-1B
10-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't think I know anyone outside of the Internet

That says a lot right there, wow is that ever true.

The things I hear in the real world vs the internet are two very different things.

No, the prequels are not as well received in the real world compared to the OT but they are not scrutinized with one tenth of the level of scrutiny they get on the internet.

That's not just Star Wars either, but pretty much every other "fanboy"ish franchise.

It makes us all look like retards for even posting about it, regardless of your opinions of these films. lol lol lol

Mad Slanted Powers
10-19-2008, 08:57 PM
It makes us all look like retards for even posting about it, regardless of your opinions of these films. lol lol lolI am a weezurd.

Bosskman
10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
When are people gonna give this sorta stuff up? It's getting pretty freakin old if you ask me. (yeah, I know, nobody asked me)

Ando
10-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Show me where in the Clone Wars a Jedi has used a Blaster, I dont mean a ships weapon, I mean a blaster (blasters are hand held weapons), I may have missed the use of one.

The Clone Wars cartoon or during the period of the clone wars?

Because Obi Wan effectively ended the Clone Wars with a blaster when he shot Grievous and fried his organs on the landing pad on Utapau.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-22-2008, 12:13 PM
The Clone Wars cartoon or during the period of the clone wars?

Because Obi Wan effectively ended the Clone Wars with a blaster when he shot Grievous and fried his organs on the landing pad on Utapau.
That was a desperate moment when he had no choice, and he said, "how uncivilzed" after doing it.

pbarnard
10-22-2008, 12:26 PM
When are people gonna give this sorta stuff up? It's getting pretty freakin old if you ask me. (yeah, I know, nobody asked me)

I'll ask, will it take killing them while their young or showing their first tendancy towards this question to stop this phenomena? :twisted::thumbsup:

That was a desperate moment when he had no choice, and he said, "how uncivilzed" after doing it.

Oh irony. How the actual film has the evidence. There's the Cloakshape fighter in Cloak of Deception that Qui-gon and Obi-wan fly with weapons while tracking down a pirate gang and seeing a linke to the Trade Federation. The Stark Hyperspace War in Dark Horse comics. There's also the whole series of things in I, Jedi where Corran is reading his grandfather's journals where he talks about sometimes using a blaster because he was undercover or tracking a criminal element. That would be in the time frame.

Never mind the philosophy/ethics arguement that would state if a Jedi could use a starfighter or a large capital ship or a fleet of ships to stop a greater evil (like genocide or enslavement), they would be obligated by the Force to due so.

Ando
10-22-2008, 12:26 PM

Yes it was and yes he did. I was just answering the question/challenge posed in the thread.

My own two cents about Obi Wan saying that lightsabers weren't as clumsy or random as a blaster would be that this is Kenobi's opinion and preference more than just a statement of fact. Look at the battle of Geonosis. How many Jedi were killed by blasters (including Pablo Jil getting gunned down by Jango Fett)?

He's an old man at this point and set in his ways. He was also one of the more skilled and talented Jedi. Instead of being able to spend years and years training Luke properly, he had to give Luke to quick overview/indoctrination from his own certain point of view.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Never mind the philosophy/ethics arguement that would state if a Jedi could use a starfighter or a large capital ship or a fleet of ships to stop a greater evil (like genocide or enslavement), they would be obligated by the Force to due so.Indeed. When the time came in the Clone Wars, the Jedi used their powers where needed to defend that which they thought was right.

cookiemonster
10-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Ando I actually meant during the Clone Wars not at the end, I knew he used a blaster then, but like MSP said he did also think it was uncivilized.

pbarnard
10-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Ando I actually meant during the Clone Wars not at the end, I knew he used a blaster then, but like MSP said he did also think it was uncivilized.

Goes to the philosphy/ethics argument. You may not like it, but you have to do it. Mace Windu and Yoda didn't like the fact Anakin was trained much less made Jedi Knight, but guess what, they had to do it. The Jedi didn't want to become Jedi, but the greater evil would've been not from their view.

stillakid
10-26-2008, 04:32 PM
I've been reading through all the responses and most of the rationalization for Jedi using starship weapons seems to be that they aren't the same as using a handheld blaster.

That's missing the point of the question and of Old Ben's description (and what the audience was intended to believe) about the Jedi... not only in the OT but also by some scenes in the Prequels.

The essential fundamental idea of the Jedi is that they are an elite and highly skilled/dangerous fighting force which, for a thousand years, IS the primary protection for this Republic. That doesn't imply that they are this other thing over there in addition to some beat cops who DO have heavy guns and such. We are meant to believe that the Jedi ARE the only group who are the "edge of the sword" that protects the peace of the Republic.

With that in mind, in the Star Wars Galaxy, the Jedi should've become irrelevant as soon as "blaster" technology was invented. They didn't, so we could assume that their "station" in the political order was held secure by their control of "the Force." That's their one Ace-in-the-hole. They could get their arses shot off (and do), but they somehow maintain this status as "protectors" of the Republic, not because of the weapons they use, but because of their ability to tap into this "Force." Not everyone can do it, so these guys get to hold that over all the others as a superpower that ensures the continuation of political status.

That being the case, they don't HAVE TO pick up blasters or use any kind of "death throwing device" (like a gun). There are other more expendable beings to do that. The Jedi in fact don't really have to do anything toward "maintaining peace and justice" in the Republic now that other police forces are armed with blasters and spaceships with blasters. The only purpose of the Jedi in "modern" society is to maintain their status via keeping a kind of "mystery" about themselves and not stooping down to using such crass technology that "modern" creatures do. So guns of ANY kind should be out altogether as well as any other computers or modern things.

By the time we see TPM, we get the idea that the blaster (laser gun) has been around for a long time. So the Jedi have been effectively irrelevant for a long time too. With their primary mission as the PRIMARY keepers of peace and justice shifted over to police forces and armies with blasters (handheld and ship mounted), the only thing left for the Jedi to do to stay "relevant" is to maintain that aura of mystery and eliteness. Picking up a gun or firing one from a ship doesn't seem to be a good idea toward that end.

No?