PDA

View Full Version : Holy Monkey: GnR "Chinese Democracy" "due out Nov. 23rd"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Can it be?!?!! could it FINALLY HAPPEN?!!!??!!?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27106927/?GT1=43001

I think we'll all enjoy our free Dr. Pepper beverages as well, eh! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
10-13-2008, 01:06 AM
First, awesome new avatar, JMG!

Second, even with a firm release date, I'll believe it when I see it. And I doubt there is any way it could ever live up to 17 years of hype. That's more buildup than The Phantom Menace!

Sadly, I bet none of the tracks with Buckethead or Shaquille O'Neal will make the cut. Laugh if you will, but Buckethead is a good axeman (KFC headgear notwithstanding), and the idea of someone rapping with GNR is something I think would be worth hearing, if only because of the novelty factor.

JediTricks
10-13-2008, 05:08 AM
I actually figured it would be coming out sometime soon once it got "finished" and bought by a label.

Now I'm more excited about the free Dr. Pepper. That'd be about $150 million bucks lost. :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-13-2008, 10:00 AM
First, awesome new avatar, JMG!

Second, even with a firm release date, I'll believe it when I see it. And I doubt there is any way it could ever live up to 17 years of hype. That's more buildup than The Phantom Menace!

Sadly, I bet none of the tracks with Buckethead or Shaquille O'Neal will make the cut. Laugh if you will, but Buckethead is a good axeman (KFC headgear notwithstanding), and the idea of someone rapping with GNR is something I think would be worth hearing, if only because of the novelty factor.

hehehe many thanks on the new avatar. I was watching PD yesterday via the DVR and I was only reinforced in my belief that it could very well be the BEST thing on TV as it consistently delivers each week. And Emerson Cod is such a fantastic character and the more info we got out of him from last weeks episode was really interesting and pretty touching. But I digress!

I also think it will suffer from TPM syndrome and i'm not the biggest GnR fan (i've been meaning to 'legally download' their discography as of late), but I hope it's good. I think we could use a solid rock n' roll record these days.

Buckethead is a fantastic guitarist,but a rap with Shaq?!?!? I didn't hear about this. God help us!

Now I'm more excited about the free Dr. Pepper. That'd be about $150 million bucks lost. :p

Seriously! That would be fantastic! My only concern would be the cans getting tossed around during shipping and then the entire country would suffer from getting sprayed with Dr. Pepper! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
10-13-2008, 02:44 PM
I think after this long and that much negative publicity and the band members who didn't end up on the album, there won't be any expectations left to not live up to.

A free Dr Pepper is a free Dr Pepper. :p

Banthaholic
10-16-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm looking forward to this one. I've seen the 'new' band live a few times and they rocked the heck out of the joint. Some of there new stuff has an edge to it. I'm eager to see what took uncle Axl so long to get out. I'll be buying at opening...

And yes JT I'll also be looking for my Dr. Pepper

JimJamBonds
10-18-2008, 06:39 PM
And I doubt there is any way it could ever live up to 17 years of hype. That's more buildup than The Phantom Menace!

Yeah... not so much.

Sadly, I bet none of the tracks with... Shaquille O'Neal will make the cut.

What?!?!?! There are/were??!?!?!?!?!

El Chuxter
10-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Apparently, around 1995-6, when Shaq had his brief rap career based on his scanty guest vocals on a song by the Fu-Schnickens ("What's Up Doc," which is actually a very good track), Shaq was recording his second or third album down the hall from GNR. Somehow one thing led to another, and he rapped on a track from them. Given Axl's propensity to destroy master tapes whenever a bandmember leaves combined with the level of turnover since, as well as everyone realizing Shaq wasn't a very good rapper to begin with, I doubt it'll ever see the light of day.

Sad. I doubt it'd be great, but the novelty of the idea makes me want to hear it.

figrin bran
10-19-2008, 02:22 AM
I've listened to Shacker's Revenge, actually more like played as it's on the Rock Band 2 video game. Did not like it at all. Only the chorus sounds like anything resembling GNR. The verses seem to have Buckethead's stamp all over them

Blue2th
10-19-2008, 09:29 AM
I heard years ago a song on the radio briefly released then pulled from GNR with Buckethead, and I thought it was really good. I liked the guitar playing and thought wow! a departure from what one would consider a GNR song. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.
I'm hoping the rest of it is a tangent, because GNR was what it was, but now it's over, and it's time for something fresh.

autumnsdescent
10-19-2008, 09:41 AM
You can hear 9 of the songs on the new GNR album between these myspace pages:

http://www.myspace.com/chinesegnrdemocracy

http://www.myspace.com/chinesegnrdemocracy2

After reading the start of this thread a couple weeks ago, I went looking for the tracks and found them. I was hoping to have a blending of old style GNR and something new and was actually quite impressed with most of what I heard. If it had been Appetite part 2 I would have passed on it. Because it sounds like a big variety of style, I was actually excited. Definitely will pick this one up...

-A-

El Chuxter
10-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Not impressed. But I'm the chump who picked up Slash's craptacular second solo album, so I'll probably get it.

I'm not sure when or how this was confirmed, but it appears this is going to be a Best Buy exclusive. Somehow that seems weird, that such a high-profile release would be a store exclusive. And it's weird that there's no hype about it on Best Buy's site. Good or bad, if I had the exclusive rights to an album almost 20 years in the making, it'd be plastered all over the site's main page.

JediTricks
10-20-2008, 05:44 PM
The opening track is WAY overproduced. This is Axl's biggest flaw, he thinks he's the master mixer and he rips the soul out of the music by cleaning it up too much and putting too much envelope on it, too many vocal layers, that sort of thing. This sound also reeks of "what, the early '90s are over and commercial metal is dead? Nobody told me!"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-25-2008, 01:46 AM
And now to the real good news - free Dr Pepper (http://ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/free_dr_pepper_for_everyone.html)! You have to register through their site to get a coupon, but it's for a free 20 oz. bottle, so I can't complain.

2-1B
10-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Can I use it on Diet Dr. Pepper ?

I don't drink regular soda...

bobafrett
10-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Found this, and hope it hasn't already been posted.

http://web.gunsnroses.com/splash.jsp

I think I would have liked it more had there been not such a long gap between the last GNR album and this one.

bobafrett
11-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Well, I went to get my free Dr. Pepper coupon, with 5 hours left to get my coupon, and I filled out all the info, clicked the submit button and got "Service Unavailable". I try again, and again, and again, but still the same irratating message. I then e-mailed the beings who be at Dr. Pepper about this problem, I go back to try again, heading to the home page, clicked on the link at the bottom, and couldn't even get back to the page where I filled out my information.

And no, I didn't buy the Guns N Roses album either. Haven't been all that impressed with what I've heard so far.

JetsAndHeels
11-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I bought it yesterday. Not a great album, but not terrible either.

The problem with this being released after so much delay is that even if it was an outstanding album, it would never live upto the expectations.

The "Phantom Menace" of albums if you will.

bobafrett
11-24-2008, 06:03 PM
E-mailed my dis-satisfaction with the Free Dr. Pepper website, got a response from them, and I will be getting my coupon for a free 20 ounce Dr. Pepper!

bobafrett
11-25-2008, 07:12 AM
The Chinese don't dig the new GNR album.

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/61899146