PDA

View Full Version : Ceremonial Belloq Review

Engineernerd
10-12-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm still trying to get over the fact the Indiana Jones line is doomed. As part of my therapy, I decided to review one of the lines peg warmers, Ceremonial Belloq.

Check it out here:
http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com/reviews/belloq2.asp

Enjoy!
Engineernerd

Ji'dai
10-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Poor Belloq. He doesn't get much love from collectors because of his status as a perennial pegwarmer. Not to mention that practically all "Belloshes" tend to suffer from exceptionally bad paint jobs, especially the eyes.

I like the figure, and was glad he was included in the inital wave (along with Monkey Man & Streets of Cairo Marion) since they were the only three figures I didn't get from the vintage line.

e-nerd, I still can't believe you haven't got the new version of the Ark yet. Or do you just like the vintage version better?

Engineernerd
10-12-2008, 02:34 PM
lol, I picked the new Ark on clearance a couple weeks ago. I've been working through figures I've got and hadn't posted reviews for yet. I took the pictures for a bunch of figures at the same and just slowly worked through the reviews. Belloq just happened to have his pics take awhile back, before I got the new Ark.

I've got Map Room Indy on my editorial calendar. I change the order sometimes, though. Last week is a good example, since Toht was getting some press with being a possibly unmade ever figure in the modern line, I thought it'd be cool to look at the vintage one.

I figured I'd better get a new Ark, since it doesn't look like we'll be getting one with poles on it. Now if I only had a crate to put it in...hmmm. (Wonder why I haven't made one yet, like I was waiting for some DVD screen caps.)

PS If it makes you feel better Ji'dai, I've only got an incomplete Vintage Ceremony Belloq. I missing the chest piece and staff. That was the best I could do on Ebay bout 8 years ago.

Old Fossil
10-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Nice review. I only just recently got Belloq, along with Map Room Indy and the Ark. I love the figure, but I really, really want Belloq in his Egypt attire, or (as you mentioned) the pith helmet/jungle outfit.

A nice Deluxe set would be Peru Belloq with Hovito (sp?) warrior.

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Pretty much nailed a sleepy figure. This is part of the problem of doing "homage" figures to the original line that didn't really do well either. Because they planned this figure as the Indy version of VOTC, it's the less-interesting version, bad call IMO, and that's why I never bothered. I too wanted the suit, something that has more interactivity, something more threatening.

Engineernerd
10-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Pretty much nailed a sleepy figure. This is part of the problem of doing "homage" figures to the original line that didn't really do well either. Because they planned this figure as the Indy version of VOTC, it's the less-interesting version, bad call IMO, and that's why I never bothered. I too wanted the suit, something that has more interactivity, something more threatening.

If they'd done the Indy figures like SW, they could have had Legends and Crystal Skull with two seperate mail aways. That would have been a great place for this Belloq.

JediTricks
10-18-2008, 03:46 PM
If they had done Indy like SW, they would have built a foundation for the line on more popular characters and costumes first, then got to the more esoteric stuff. But instead they went VOTC and didn't stop to consider the ramifications.

Engineernerd
10-18-2008, 04:23 PM
The Grail Knight is the most popular character in the Trilogy? Just kidding...

I agree with you JT. I think one of their biggest downfalls was too many Indy's though.

JediTricks
10-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I think they just needed better variety in their Indys, kids did ultimately buy 'em more than the other characters. Basic Indy looks too much like KOTCS Indy who looks too much like deluxe Indy. My favorite figure of the line is still the whipping Indy, it's a fun gimmick and the best likeness of all the Indy figs.

Engineernerd
10-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Which one is whipping Indy? Is that the marketplace one?

sebillba
10-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Yup, the Cairo jacket-less Indy with whip-cracking action. There's an animation of the action feature here: http://www.cooltoyreview.com/Hasbro_IJ_IndyCairo.asp

JediTricks
10-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Dang, Curto got to work on his cuticles!

Engineernerd
10-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Dang, Curto got to work on his cuticles!

And that's why I try not to show my fingers in pictures.

Crap....I don't want to have to do animations to keep up with the Jones. I couldn't resist the urge to be punny.

JediTricks
10-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, I try not to show my fingers in pics either, no matter how nice your hands are, the camera amplifies every flaw and dirt speck.

I don't really like showing animations or movies myself, but they are growing popular. Still, I suspect they're a curiosity more than anything.