PDA

View Full Version : Price of the Republic Gunship?

Unit-01
02-18-2002, 02:46 PM
That's just not right. 39.99 for this while the Slave 1 is $25?!?!? They are pretty much the same size! This thing better have something special for that price!

neimoidian85
02-18-2002, 04:43 PM
Maybe it comes with some kind of figure.

Actually, I think the Republic Gunship looks like crap/

JediTricks
02-19-2002, 02:26 AM
From the pics I saw, the gunship looked way bigger than the Slave 1. Slave 1 looks about as long as the Jedi Starfighter and a bit bulkier, but the Gunship looked WAY bigger than the Jedi Starfighter if you compare each ship to a 4" figure. I bet the Gunship will be as big as the AT-AT toy, although with less going on and more hollow.

I think it looks pretty cool no matter what, the Hasbro Ep 2 vehicles all impress me.

Beast
02-19-2002, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
From the pics I saw, the gunship looked way bigger than the Slave 1. Slave 1 looks about as long as the Jedi Starfighter and a bit bulkier, but the Gunship looked WAY bigger than the Jedi Starfighter if you compare each ship to a 4" figure. I bet the Gunship will be as big as the AT-AT toy, although with less going on and more hollow.
I think it looks pretty cool no matter what, the Hasbro Ep 2 vehicles all impress me.
It looks way bigger to me also, and it's also seems to have alot of features and play actions incorperated into the design. I wouldn't be suprised by the inclusion of a pack-in, since it would be a CloneTrooper, which I always welcome another version for dioramas. I think the size of the Imperial Shuttle or AT-AT with out it's legs sounds about correct, judging the figures they had displayed by it. Either way, I can't wait for this ship, looks cool. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hairless chewie
02-19-2002, 02:53 AM
IMO it will be a pretty cool toy for all concerned. I mean, who can resist a big honkin toy that you can cram with figures and pretend to take an LZ? Not me or my kids! I just hope that the wings will be detachable. I have to move every three years or so and those who have packed up their entire collections in tupperware, bubble wrap, and those annoying yet effective styrofoam peanuts will know what I'm talking about. If it is big as an AT-AT then I'm sure that it will have a pack-in but the boys at Hasbro aren't too predictable so we'll see. I still don't believe that the Arena playset won't have one so I hope that it has enough bells and whistles to compinsate for that.

Can't we all just get along and enjoy this rampant madness called Star Wars?? You tell him Jar Jar!!!!

JediTricks
02-20-2002, 03:58 AM
At $40, I don't think this'll have a pack-in. The AT-AT sold for $80 initially, and while it did have 2 pack-ins and electronics, that was several years ago and Hasbro really ate it on those. If it does come with a pack-in figure, I hope it's a little better quality than most SW pack-in figures.

I believe the gimmicks on the gunship are:
- Carrying handle between the wings
- Rotating pod guns
- Shooting missiles
- Rotating forward guns
- Opening cockpit
- Opening troop deployment floor
- Removable drop-bombs

I'm afraid the wings don't appear to be foldable, so they're probably not removable; you may want to modify the wings before you attach them (just sand down any locking clips so they're rounded instead of sharp edges).

hairless chewie
02-20-2002, 06:30 AM
If I can wait that long! You know that instant gratification always wins when it comes to Star Wars! Thanks for the advice though.

LTBasker
02-20-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
At $40, I don't think this'll have a pack-in. The AT-AT sold for $80 initially, and while it did have 2 pack-ins and electronics, that was several years ago and Hasbro really ate it on those. If

I dunno JT, if the gunship is about the same size as the main body of the AT-AT, then technically we paid $10 per leg and got the head, lowering door, 2 new figures and electronics for free. :D Isn't it also supposed to be a "carry case" sorta thing? The two Falcon carry case variants came with (more or less) new figures so maybe it's possible they just threw a Clonetrooper together by kit-bashing the two Troopers we've seen and is putting it as the pilot. Not to mention it is for army builders and what's better than immediately getting an early start with having a figure inside? Especially since the line is being pointed more towards kids. :D

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-20-2002, 01:59 PM
I was initially quite excited about this vehicle but after seeing the pics and sitting here with them all blown up on my screen and trying to figure stuff out, it appears that the ship is permanently open soa ll the figures you put in it will fall out. Well that's useful as a carrying case then.....:rolleyes: Someone please tell me there's a sliding door that covers up the open sides. There has to be moving parts other than the guns.

the clone captain has articulated knees to facillitate sitting in the cockpit so we could be getting a second clonetroopr grunt really soon after the preview one. Or they could just re-release the clone captain without the red stripes. Either way there's gonna be a new clonetrooper. I can't see this big vehicle coming with a pack-in though if the smaller ones don't have it.

InsaneJediGirl
02-20-2002, 04:22 PM
I think $40 is fair,considering past items released in the
line.Will it come with a pack in?Maybe Hasbro will be
smart and stick those red clonetroopers in each box,
since they will be littering the peg anyways.

LTBasker
02-21-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by DARTH DUBIOUS
Someone please tell me there's a sliding door that covers up the open sides. There has to be moving parts other than the guns.

I was just looking at some technical picture that was released awhile back on here of different views of some wireframe gunship pic and the only things that appear to be covering those sides are on the LEGO version of the gunship; moveable side gunner stations. I'm guessing then that this ship either has force fields or it's just atmospheric flight and is deployed by a ship much bigger, just like the Trade Federation landers and the MTTs. I hope Hasbro does put the side gunner stations on, it would incomplete without them and not to mention they're rather cool, but they could be added later since it was just a mere prototype of the ship. :)

I've attached the picture below if anyone wants it.

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-21-2002, 02:35 PM
I just realised what's been eating me about this ship, from the front it has the exact same profile as the ship 'Mother' in 'Battle beyond the stars' that same bulbous front and the wings at the back hanging low with gun pods on them. It's the exact same design I tell you.... Well not exactly the same design but the similarity is spookily striking.

I was just hoping for doors on the toy because otherwise it can't be a real carry case can it? everything'd all fall out. Silly hasbro, silly unrealistic selling point. Can't carry anything if it falls out can you hasbro. "There's a hole in my gunship dear hasbro, dear Hasbro. A hole in my gunship dear hasbro a hole..." :D

LTBasker
02-21-2002, 05:25 PM
Perhaps it's not really a carry case, but rather a storage type, like a place for you to sit down in one spot and leave some figures in it, like a Clone Trooper squad. :D It looks like the back is pretty deep, we'll probably be able to "store" figures back there in a way or something.

JediTricks
02-22-2002, 02:33 AM
I think it may not be a carrying case, just a vehicle that's designed to be a troop transport.

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-23-2002, 03:47 PM
guess we're just going off the leaked thingy boards that had it down as a selling point
republic gunship, loaded with weapons and makes a great carrying case is how I seem to recall those lovely people at hasbro pitched it. I personally don't like the handle on top the same way i never liked the handle underneath the old Slave-1. But as kids are going to be buying this....... :rolleyes: Wonder if it'll be sold as a carry case anyway even if it can't carry anything without it slipping out. Hope we get to see the box soon. Just to satisfy my curiosity.