PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Toys - Playmates

Tycho
07-15-2008, 01:51 PM
With The Future Wars being set to be explored by Terminator 4, 5, & 6 films with Christian Bale as John Connor, I think we can expect a lively toy franchise that's more detailed than any previous Terminator toy line.

SkyNet will be in full operation and in addition to different Terminators of varying degrees of battle damage and Cyborg enhancement (human skin), there will by flying and rolling Hunter-Killer craft.

The human resistance fighters will have battle-damaged, world-weary pick-up trucks and military or construction vehicles of various nature, with added weaponry put on (probably missile firing toys).

I wonder what company (Hasbro?) will pick up the license for the basic line?

I think it could be really cool. "Terminator" is one property that I think is near and dear to me as a favorite, along the lines of Star Wars, Star Trek, and Transformers - the only other toylines I purchase from.

A Terminator collection will not likely be resisted by me, in most cases. With The Future Wars, I may attempt some modest dioramas with several SkyNet attack vehicles and 5 or so Endoskeleton Terminators, versus Resistance fighter figures, etc.

But while I don't know who will take the license, since it will involve these futuristic, more "toy inspirational" pieces in the collection, I think Terminator toys are a very real possibility we'll be looking at soon - and in a wonderful collection, much better than the superhero stuff that comes out to promo a lot of other movies as of late.

sergiurusu
07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Terminator is something I really like collecting. :)

Maradona
07-15-2008, 02:19 PM
I wonder how massive a toy line an r-rated franchise would generate.

Tycho
07-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Hmmm. Good question. But RoboCop had toys, as did Aliens, amongst other R-rated franchises.

master J
07-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Playmates toys has the toy license for the new terminator movies. See below link.

http://www.licensemag.com/licensemag/data/articlestandard//licensemag/102008/500534/article.pdf

Also, it has been announced that the Terminator movies will be PG-13 rather than R.

El Chuxter
07-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Terminator 4 toys would require a Terminator 4 movie, which, in turn, would require a Terminator 3 movie.

Given that there are only two Terminator movies, that's not bloody likely. :p

Beast
07-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Terminator 3 was a fantastic film, I will not have it maligned!

Tycho
07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
I liked Terminator 3 myself. Got a problem with that? Talk to the hand!

Maradona
07-15-2008, 11:27 PM
I went to see T3 in order to heckle it. I came out impressed. It was far better than my expectations.

RUSHBOY
07-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Whatever happened to that hot Terminator chic in T3 ?
Did she do any other movies after T3 !
:bandit:

Tycho
07-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Whatever happened to that hot Terminator chic in T3 ?
Did she do any other movies after T3 !
:bandit:

"Betty Requires Batteries" was a classic - in my imagination.

JediTricks
07-16-2008, 07:50 PM
She did a few genre flicks, an unpopular Sci-Fi channel series, the and just got married to some dude who was her co-star on that show.

RooJay
07-18-2008, 03:42 AM
I'm tending to be not terribly confident in Terminator: Salvation, what with it being directed by McG. However, knowing that Christian Bale has signed on, and knowing his increasing tendency to not choose roles in movies that I think suck, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Besides, the new Terminator models look pretty cool, and should make for some excellent figures!

P.s. T2 had a fairly extensive toy line, and it was rated 'R'.

JediTricks
07-19-2008, 01:54 PM
McG did alright with Charlie's Angels, but frittered that goodwill away with Charlie's Angels 2. He has too many ideas that aren't fully formed that he just goes ahead with.

Beast
07-19-2008, 02:45 PM
McG did alright with Charlie's Angels, but frittered that goodwill away with Charlie's Angels 2. He has too many ideas that aren't fully formed that he just goes ahead with.
I won't drop spoilers....

But after hearing the big twist for Terminator 4, I'm not looking forward to it anymore.

Tycho
07-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Beast, I'm OK with Terminator spoilers, as I really care about the franchise and want to know immediately where they are taking it.

If you don't want to post spoilers, could you private message me with the "twist" to T4, please?

El Chuxter
07-19-2008, 06:37 PM
The twist is that his best friend is a Terminator, the Terminators are killed by water, and they really live in modern-day rural Pennsylvania. Oh, and John Connor is dead the whole time.

DarthQuack
07-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Terminator 3 was a fantastic film, I will not have it maligned!

The hot chick in the movie grew up about an hour from me....I wish I could have stalked her when she was in high school.

JediTricks
07-20-2008, 02:58 AM
I won't drop spoilers....

But after hearing the big twist for Terminator 4, I'm not looking forward to it anymore.Oh man, when I heard what that was, I knew that the Terminator franchise was truly going to be ruined by all this. Christian Bale must have let them drive "ye olde dump truck of cash" up to his house to convince him to be in this turkey.

This is one of those loser ideas that, once you read it, you'll wish you could unread it as fast as possible. But you won't be able to, and it'll kill your soul a little knowing you carry this "knowledge" inside you.

The twist is that his best friend is a Terminator, the Terminators are killed by water, and they really live in modern-day rural Pennsylvania. Oh, and John Connor is dead the whole time.As they say on Robot Chicken, "w-w-w-whadda TWIST!" But when you hear this one, if you want to hear this one, it'll make you question any insults society has for M. Night Shyamalan. It turns out his twists were just preparing society for this incredible piece of pap they have in store for you audiences (hell no I'm not going to this!), he was just doing community service, like an inoculation.

Damnit, I can't help it, here it comes, the spoiler, I must infect those who want to be infected...

(WARNING - worst spoiler ever coming right at your eyes, do not highlight this or you will surely regret it!!! I am not kidding, I am not speaking in hyperbole, turn back now, this may become an "avert your eyes Marion!" situation, don't say I didn't warn the crap out of you!!!)

Here it comes!

=== John Connor is in save-humanity mode when he is called to a prison where a man about to be executed who they think may be a Terminator. John Connor doesn't know what to think, is this maybe-Terminator from the future or the past, and the big twist... Chux wasn't wrong with one of his jokes, it turns out John Connor is dead and they replaced him with a Terminator, to run the resistance against the machines, or his he screwing them over? Cue the "mwa ha ha". So once again, the question will be "is the salvation for humanity is YET ANOTHER TERMINATOR?" Maybe this one will have confused feelings about his rewritten directives or being fooled into thinking he's someone else. Maybe someone should stop Hollywood right now, maybe set up an intervention or something. ===

(Why did you read that?!?)

Or am I wrong Beast, and that's not even the right or true spoiler? Oh would it be not true... But this is a McG movie written by the writers of Catwoman and Terminator 3, so yeah, thanks a bunch Hollywood.

McG is saying that's not true, that none of the spoilers out there are true, and that nobody but him and the writers and Bale know it, but it reeked of damage control.

Beast
07-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Basically JT. Though it's a bit more in-depth than that.
McGuiness is scrambling to try to say that it's not the twist of the movie. So either it is, or they're going to rewrite the ending so it's not so terrible. More details to follow below. This is what I've been reading and hearing.

WARNING: SPOILERS

=== John Conners (Christian Bale) gets killed at some point in the movie. The people who know about it realize that his existance is too important to the morale of the troops fighting the machines. He's become something more than just a man, he's become a symbol. That he's become more than just a man to the troops.

Gee, any wonder why they went with Christian "Batman" Bale?.

So they skin his corpse and put the flesh on the new 'Good Terminator' named Marcus. The same one you mentioned who wakes up in prison. He's a really early model Terminator (rumored to also have a human brain), who nobody finds out is a Teriminator til late in the film. He then takes his place as the leader of the resistance.

This twist has supposedly been stated to not be correct, but we'll see. I wouldn't put it past them.

Either way, I agree. Someone backed a dumptruck of cash up to Christian Bale's door.

Tycho
07-20-2008, 05:08 PM
It was The Joker. And it actually was a school bus full of cash. I saw him driving away in it.

This is his new diabolical, terrorist plot to punish us all.

figrin bran
07-20-2008, 09:17 PM
JT, despite your stern warnings, I went ahead and read the spoiler text.

I don't know whether to be more appalled at the "twist" or the fact that there are people who can out-Shyamalan Mr. M. Night.

JediTricks
07-21-2008, 12:22 AM
The studio's claim definitely reeks of damage control on this, "that's not it" really means "you misspelled someone's name, that's how we're saying it's not it". The extra detail you mentioned there is just painful, so many bad ideas rolled into one, I'm assuming the theatergoers will walk in only to find the house lights dim and Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" play instead.

Why didn't someone drive the dump truck of cash up to McG's house and keep backing until a satisfying "squish"??? Then they could have used that cash to clone Heath Ledger.

El Chuxter
07-21-2008, 01:20 AM
The extra detail you mentioned there is just painful, so many bad ideas rolled into one, I'm assuming the theatergoers will walk in only to find the house lights dim and Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" play instead.

I'm going to **** off everyone who disagrees with me that Terminator ended with the second Arnold model melting itself so as to prevent the technology ever being developed when I say that sounds remarkably better than any Terminator 4 could ever be.

"Nevah going to give you opp! Ah'll be bahck!"

RooJay
07-22-2008, 01:41 AM
To be fair, that's actually not a bad bit of pure sci-fi. It's just that it's not The Terminator. It actually completely undermines everything that was set up in the first three movies (okay two, although I admit that I also really liked the third movie.)

As far as McG goes - I even liked Charlies Angels 2! I thought it was a decent bit of fun, but the guy who directed that movie should not be allowed anywhere near The Terminator franchise; as should now be terrible evident to anyone who highlighted that text up there.

I will give them props, however, for the rumored casting of Roland Kickinger as the Arnie model of Terminator (he not only bears a striking resemblance and is also Austrian - he's even played Arnold himself in a Biopic!):

JediTricks
07-22-2008, 03:35 AM
I'm going to **** off everyone who disagrees with me that Terminator ended with the second Arnold model melting itself so as to prevent the technology ever being developed when I say that sounds remarkably better than any Terminator 4 could ever be.

"Nevah going to give you opp! Ah'll be bahck!"I have to admit, it would be a better payoff.

As far as McG goes - I even liked Charlies Angels 2! I thought it was a decent bit of fun, but the guy who directed that movie should not be allowed anywhere near The Terminator franchise; as should now be terrible evident to anyone who highlighted that text up there.Oh man, you are WAAAAAY too generous there. I really liked Charlie's Angels 1, but that sequel was unbearable, I felt incredibly ripped off by the end. Never the less, even your generosity cannot penetrate the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"ocity of this.

I will give them props, however, for the rumored casting of Roland Kickinger as the Arnie model of Terminator (he not only bears a striking resemblance and is also Austrian - he's even played Arnold himself in a Biopic!):2 problems there. 1) Kickinger speaks english far better than his idol, Schwarzenegger, so huge continuity problem. ;) 2) Kickinger is a more expressive actor, but everything's up front with him, he wears what he plays right on his sleeve. Schwarzenegger may be a questionable actor, but he brings the right depth with Terminator and T2 - there's something "behind" his acting in both.

Blue2th
10-16-2008, 03:30 PM
This from TNI:

Terminator Salvation Toys In 2009 From Playmates
by Jay Cochran in Playmates at 08:06 PM on 2008.10.15

Heralding the fourth installment in the iconic, billion-dollar Terminator franchise, The Halcyon Company's production of Terminator Salvation - debuting May 22, 2009, from Warner Bros. Pictures and Sony Pictures - Playmates Toys will launch an edgy line of collectible action toys targeting kids and collectors. With a strategic vision for establishing a solid action toy segment for the next several years, the initial film window launch will include a full assortment of fully-articulated action figures (multiple scales) featuring new, never-seen-before Terminators; battle-ready replica vehicles; and signature role play items: the Terminator T-600 Voice ‘n' Vision Skull with authentic red light-up eyes, voice changer/sound effects and the Terminator Deluxe T-600 Fist that vibrates, fires and emits sounds. In the Fall, kids and collectors can build their world and collections out with the Skynet playset: assortments of six new figures in basic (3") and deluxe scales (6"); several new signature vehicles including remote control and skin peeling Terminators in super size (10"); and much more.

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
That'll make Tycho happy.

I doubt Playmates can deliver much with this, their sculpting has been rather soft, lots of round stuff lately, cartoony, and their paint hasn't been inspiring either.

DarkArtist
10-22-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm liking the 3 3/4 line idea and hope that perhaps they will also make figures from the Sarah Connor Chronicles as well. here's hoping for a Cameron figure.

Blue2th
11-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Here's some concept art for the movie. Pretty dang cool!
http://screenrant.com/concept-art-terminator-salvation-rob-4187/

DarkArtist
11-14-2008, 11:35 AM
liking the concept art, looks like we can finally see a Terminator movie that happens in the future. i still think the opening of T2 is absolutely amazing.

Jargo
12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Christian Bale irritates me no end.

Beast
01-03-2009, 01:43 AM
TNI has pics of the 10", 3 3/4", and 6" figures.

Careful, looks like one of the pics appear to show the rumored major "Twist" of the film. I forget how to spoiler tags, so that's all I'm saying.

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=216&itemid=13848

DarkArtist
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
TNI has pics of the 10", 3 3/4", and 6" figures.

Careful, looks like one of the pics appear to show the rumored major "Twist" of the film. I forget how to spoiler tags, so that's all I'm saying.

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=216&itemid=13848

my wallet is starting to feel the pinch. liking the look of the figures just really want to see them up close. hoping to be able to attend Toy Fair in Feb and see them first hand.

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 04:08 PM
== text here ==

== text here ==

That's how.

Good lord those look awful. That's the proof that Playmates needs to get out of the business, they are so stuck in early '90s design.

Tycho
01-12-2009, 04:28 AM
So when are we going to see the Terminator 4 toys? By Playmates, right?

SideShow is doing the high-end stuff.

But I would dig seeing Future Wars stuff like the Hunter-Killers and Skull Crusher tanks, fighting civilian vehicles converted to house heavy weaponry from the Human Resistance.

Blue2th
01-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I don't know, I'll probably buy a few. Like to see some vehicles.

BTW: You can merge this thread with Tycho's if you want. I had no idea. :o Thought I looked when I initially posted, but he had already started one in July. I would have put it there. Oh well.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-12-2009, 10:21 AM
The 6'' figures don't really look too bad. Hopefully we'll get better pics of them soon.

And I never thought i'd say this: but I wish McFarlane were doing these figures. :p

RooJay
01-13-2009, 01:49 AM
The pics were released a few weeks back; make of them what you will...

http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=24246

Tycho
01-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Well, there wasn't more pictures that I could find, but the 3 3/4" collection with a Harvester, helicopter, tow truck, Hunter-Killer, and Warthog jet sound like it might be just what I was hoping for. Let's hope the quality is there. It does sound like the line needs some more Resistance Fighter figures though.

Anyway, I don't really think I have the room for another toy line anyway - but I have some McFarlane Terminator stuff already. So I could take it or leave it. I'll be waiting for Toy Fair to hopefully be able to tell.

JediTricks
01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
McF is kinda circling the drain, they've had to lay off a bunch of employees and scale back on production, from what I've heard.

Beast
01-14-2009, 03:59 PM
McF is kinda circling the drain, they've had to lay off a bunch of employees and scale back on production, from what I've heard.
Plus they cancelled all their 'Independant' lines except for Spawn. And started going after licenses again.

Tycho
02-15-2009, 10:00 PM
I like the figures that were shown at Toy Fair. (http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=3918)

I think I'll be buying these.

Beast
02-15-2009, 10:13 PM
The new NECA T2 figures are a lot better. Love the Arnold likeness.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2009/NecaT2/default.asp

RooJay
02-18-2009, 02:52 AM
I love that they're doing Terminator Role Play items with this one! Just imagine a playground full of unstoppable killing machines!

Blue2th
02-18-2009, 03:23 AM
Yeah, maybe it's just me but for some reason I think those role playing toys are kind of scary and creepy.
Like giving your kid a Jason mask and a machetti. :shocked:

JediTricks
02-19-2009, 11:19 PM
I think the arm is cool, even if it does shoot the fist as a missile - MAZINGER GO!!! This year, we've got role-play toys from Clone Wars (pistol to blaster to rifle, plus a Capt. Rex helmet with voice changer and voices inside and outside the helmet), Wolverine (1 claw... ONE!!! Still, I would have killed for that as a kid), Transfomers (Bumblebee's head as a voice changer), and this Terminator arm. It's a good time to be a kid into role play toys!

Beast
02-19-2009, 11:50 PM
And they can run around with an old Harry Potter vibrating broom between their legs. :D

RooJay
02-20-2009, 02:56 AM
That'd be awesome if that Terminator mask has a voice changer that makes kids sound like Arnie! "Mahm, mayk mee uh peenuht buttuh und chelly sandvich if you vant to lif."

JediTricks
02-24-2009, 05:59 PM
I forgot to mention last year's coolest role play toy, the Batman pop out bat-wings!

Tycho
02-24-2009, 11:24 PM
That was not cool. I bought one and jumped off the roof of my apartment complex thinking I could fly. When I landed, which was rather suddenly, I needed a new kidney.

JediTricks
02-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Ah, so your lawsuit is the real reason Christian Bale blew up on the set for this movie, eh?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-26-2009, 11:09 PM
God, that packaging design is super mid-90s awful crap. I can't wait to see that orange and purple abomination clogging up the shelves this summer.

Blue2th
02-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Kids acting out their emotions fighting the faceless juggernaut machine that is making them feel insecure, the one Mommy and Daddy are fighting, cursing everyday that doesn't listen to them, that makes them cry.

Role playing.

Jargo
02-27-2009, 06:32 AM
this is interesting.
Character to Release Terminator Salvation Action Figures - 25th February 2009

The Character Group, now in a 'gap year' from Doctor Who toys, have announced that they are to release a new range of action figures to tie in with the new Terminator Salvation movie.

The figures will be in 3.5, 7 and 10 inch scales and will include the main characters from the cult movie franchise originally featuring the now Governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenneger. Expect also action figures of the original T-600 and advanced T-800 type robots.

The new range will include at least some toys similar to those developed through Character's BBC Worldwide Doctor Who licence, for example the Terminator Voice Changer Helmet.

Though new releases of Doctor Who toys could be somewhat less frequent, 2009 is set to be an extremely busy year for Character with the current launches of new ranges of Postman Pat and Scooby Doo toys, forthcoming launches of the HM Armed Forces and Terminator Salvation figures, and thats not to mention the Peppa Pig, High School Musical and Hannah Montana lines.

Whilst the latest Terminator movie is set for release at the end of May, the Character Options Terminator Salvation figures will be available in June.

Tycho
02-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Is The Character Group a company that bought Playmates Toys or something? I thought Playmates had the T4 license?

JediTricks
03-01-2009, 03:11 AM
"Character" is the name of a toy company in the UK, they are not aligned with Playmates, and this press release sounds half like they're just importing the playmates line, and half like they're going with their own line.

Tycho
03-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Now THIS is what I'm talking about! (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PL57400A)

I could set up Future Wars dioramas with this stuff - and they're coming out with a Warthog (picture linked to) plus (not shown) a tow truck and helicopter.

Not to mention that hunter-killer. I hope they also make the skull crusher tank for this figure size.

They're making the T-1 prototype for the 6" figures. They look good, too.

JediTricks
03-07-2009, 08:22 PM
The A-10 looks pretty small compared to that figure, but the designs on both look decent enough. Pricing might get me, or might not, on both shown. I'm all about vehicle toys with figures.

RooJay
03-10-2009, 01:38 AM
Hopefully the pilot is shown out of scale to that A-10 (I suspect it is), but it looks surprisingly good at any rate. Maybe there will be a few toys worth picking up in this line after all!

Blue2th
03-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Fraid not. Found an actual pic of the Playmates A-10 warthog.
It's even smaller than the GI Joe Rattler.
Might work for Sigma figures, or 1:32 Ultimate Soldier.
Doesn't look bad, but like we figured out of scale:
http://api.ning.com/files/N6d58n31IGRZe6m0FoObO9mr8nY6ohPnK0qbSR15wxm4OUOUQv sULg0DsbgX-9SR0JCzZ0sd4eMGRlM-BnLS3kUO8DGljXmW/203214963.jpeg

Tycho
03-10-2009, 11:13 AM
That still looks cool. I'm very likely buying!

Blue2th
03-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Yes, I will probably be buying it also.

I'm thinking it's close to 1:24 or 1:32 the latter of which I have many other military toys.
The lines and detailing are pretty nice and close to authentic except the cockpit area.
I'm thinking it could be modified.

Still nice looking.
The other ship as well.

JediTricks
03-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Fraid not. Found an actual pic of the Playmates A-10 warthog.
It's even smaller than the GI Joe Rattler.
Might work for Sigma figures, or 1:32 Ultimate Soldier.
Doesn't look bad, but like we figured out of scale:
http://api.ning.com/files/N6d58n31IGRZe6m0FoObO9mr8nY6ohPnK0qbSR15wxm4OUOUQv sULg0DsbgX-9SR0JCzZ0sd4eMGRlM-BnLS3kUO8DGljXmW/203214963.jpegNice find. It's even smaller than I expected. I'll decide when I see it in person.

Blue2th
03-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Nice find. It's even smaller than I expected. I'll decide when I see it in person.

Thanks, glad to contribute.

RooJay
03-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Ah well...it still looks cool on it's own!

Tycho
04-14-2009, 10:58 PM
At Target I got the 6" collection T-1, T-RIP, and the Hunter Killer with 3.5" T-700 figure today.

They look good! The 6" collection's Marcus figure looks like it will be a good one from the back of the packaging. I did not see Marcus Wright's figure in person. Curiously, they are not showing a 6" John Connor even though you know they've got to have made him.

If Target had 3.5" Terminator figures, they were sold out by the time I went there - like 3pm.

In any event, I will hunt for these and terminate the need to add them to my collection by buying them in the first place :D

There were no A-10's in the vehicle assortment I saw, but rather 4 Hunter-Killers. I bought 1 but am questioning whether or not I should have bought more. I'm sure I'll get more chances though.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-14-2009, 11:24 PM
At Target I got the 6" collection T-1, T-RIP, and the Hunter Killer with 3.5" T-700 figure today.

They look good! The 6" collection's Marcus figure looks like it will be a good one from the back of the packaging. I did not see Marcus Wright's figure in person. Curiously, they are not showing a 6" John Connor even though you know they've got to have made him.

If Target had 3.5" Terminator figures, they were sold out by the time I went there - like 3pm.

In any event, I will hunt for these and terminate the need to add them to my collection by buying them in the first place :D

There were no A-10's in the vehicle assortment I saw, but rather 4 Hunter-Killers. I bought 1 but am questioning whether or not I should have bought more. I'm sure I'll get more chances though.

I found the 3.75 figures at Target today; not too shabby. 6.99 I believe and they had everybody, including John. I'm still debating about the 6'' figures. I have every other TERMINATOR figure, so i'm thinking I'll maybe pick these up. I wanna see them first though.

Tycho
04-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Though I haven't seen it in person, just the 6" T-600 looks lame. But maybe that's accurate to how he looks in the movie - coming from an era when SkyNet embraced the lame (and humans embraced the pain).

DarkArtist
04-15-2009, 11:36 AM
wow, I didn't know they were out already. cool will have to start looking. I so want the 3.75 Terminators and perhaps the vehicles. I think it would be cool to intermix Star Wars, G.I. Joe and Terminator together.

JediTricks
04-15-2009, 02:58 PM

There were no A-10's in the vehicle assortment I saw, but rather 4 Hunter-Killers. I bought 1 but am questioning whether or not I should have bought more. I'm sure I'll get more chances though.How much was the Hunter Killer, and how is the set?

RooJay
04-15-2009, 07:12 PM
I've heard that Playmates' Star Trek figures are really tiny - anyone with the Terminator figures in hand got any comparisons they can share? I'm wondering how they stack up size-wise alongside Star Wars and GI Joe.

Tycho
04-15-2009, 07:58 PM
I DO have some answers. However, I haven't opened my Terminator figures yet. They are SURE keepers though (sort of). I am looking to repurchase some for better paintjobs if I can find them.

Now the Terminator figures are possibly the same size as the

Star Trek figures = 3.5"
Terminator figures = 3.5" (maybe)
Star Wars figures = 3.75" (larger)

However, the Terminator figures DO seem larger than the Trek figures, and possibly could be on par with the Star Wars figures.

I'd love to use extra Terminator Exo-Skeleton figures as Lando's YVH droids (used during the Vong Wars to terminate the Yuuzhan Vong invaders (and they HATE droids, haha).

With a Vong figure coming out, and hopefully more on the way, if Hasbro makes a YVH terminator droid, I hardly seeing it be too different from Playmates Toys Salvation movie figures. However, Hasbro might do it better. Not only that, while they had wanted the Terminator license in the first place (the Star Wars Team guys did) corporate made them turn it down since it's an R-rated movie with (possibly both) Human Resistance-run and SkyNet-run human breeding farms (think brothels) and Hasbro corporate said, "No. We're going to stay PG rated with what property licenses we sponsor."

I will take pictures (of at least the Terminator figures next to some of my open Star Wars figures) when I get paint jobs I'm entirely satisfied with.

Now to something you might not know: the John Connor figure is totally masked and goggled. I don't know if Playmates had a licensing likeness issue with Christian Bale (like he called them to say "$#$!(&! and $#@#!! and @$@P)#@! and #$@#!@-you!" or he's still kept his ax from American Psycho and they were ultimately afraid to approach him. One rumor is that they wanted to make figures of Christian Bale in the 3.5", 6" and 10" sizes and he responded to them by mailing his mother's, sister's, and Director of Photography's heads in boxes back to Playmates to answer each question, so they then quickly gave up the effort. Most of the employees are thus still alive.

But they might make later figures of John unmasked. Who knows? I think he does wear a mask and goggles to disguise himself in the Future Wars, so infiltrating Terminators don't open fire immediately upon sighting him. Thus I imagine a lot of Resistance fighters have to wear masks and goggles during the Future Wars. In any case, I'm hoping for more accurate figures of Christian Bale as time goes on. HOT TOYS makes a great one and I'm thinking of pre-ordering John Connor and the T-700 from them, and getting on a wait-list for Arnold as the T-800, and Sarah Connor (from SideShow or Hot Toys as well). I heard the T-1000 from T-2:JD is just Robert Patrick in a cop uniform with no bullet holes in him or anything special to indicate he's liquid metal (disappointing). I'd also love a Kyle Reese figure with the trench coat and shotgun on a rope. And don't get me started about wanting figures from T:TSCC TV show. Bring that back for a 3rd season or else we should sick Christian Bale on FOX. He'd have a few choice words for them. :twisted:

Anyway, today I got (I think) ALL of the 3.5" figures (they might be 3.75" - let's hope):

John Connor (masked and goggled)
Marcus Wright (normal)
Marcus Wright (battle-damaged cyborg)
Banes (black Human Resistance commando)
T-600
T-700
T-RIP (Resistance Infiltrator Prototype)

I also have a 2nd T-700 that came with the Hunter-Killer ship.

I may get more. What's cool for diorama-builders like myself is that with the Future Wars you can set up such interesting dioramas and army-build them. In the first Terminator Trilogy, you basically could have interesting figures of 1-2 Terminators, and then all normal-everyday vehicles and such. They could make them really cool by having them all battle-damaged and smashed up. But SkyNet really has some interesting hardware.

Today (at Target) I also got the T-600 six-inch figure. It doesn't look so bad and cartoony in person. It's a keeper. It definitely doesn't photograph well though (at least Playmates didn't take a good shot of their own product).

I have not seen John Connor in figures from that size range (the 6"). He is not shown on the back of the package. He might not be masked. I don't know.

I'm led to believe that they will make unmasked versions of John in the 3.5" and 6" lines.

Today they also had about 6 Marcus Wright's in the 10" size. They looked alright, but if I'm going to get large figures, I'm going with Hot Toys / Sideshow and since it's Terminator, I'm quite likely to.

I REALLY dig the Terminator franchise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to have a 3rd Season for T:The Sarah Connor Chronicles!!!!!!

(Help Brian Austin Green [Derek Reese] - he's a Star Wars fan as well)*

and Summer Glau! (hotness) :love:

[Famous Star Wars fans:

Leonardo DiCapprio (Hasbro collector, too*)
Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor on Smallville, Hasbro collector)
Brian Austin Green (unknown collector status, major OT fan)

*Leo once wrote a $1,500 check or more to my local comic book shop for Hasbro Star Wars (might have been Kenner vintage in his purchase, don't remember). It makes up for Titanic and Body of Lies was a great movie everyone should see (also stars Russel Crowe).]

Let's see: I haven't talked about the weather in this post yet: it was a beautiful, sunny day, but windy. I had breakfast by the ocean. It was cooler today in the low 70's I think. But that was by the beach anyway.

Meanwhile, I have yet to see the A-10 Thunderbolt (with Kate Connor??? - it includes a female pilot) in stores anywhere. And I've never seen pics of the tow truck, Terminator motorcycles, or the helicopter yet.

I'm pretty sure they'll make more figures though - especially of John. Maybe a carded Kate?

I've got to find more of the 6" and I wonder (not to buy - uh....probably...) what other 10" have been released. I want John Connor products.

Oh, I think the Hunter-Killer was around $20. I didn't look at the price. It didn't matter to me. I was going to buy it no matter what. It might have been $24 though, come to think of it.

Tycho
04-15-2009, 09:48 PM
[UPATE FROM INFO-PACKED POST ABOVE - posted by Tycho The Great, Magnificent, Wonderful, and Insane]

The T-700 I have opened now (came with the Hunter-Killer) is indeed the same size as SW figures. That is awesome!

The Terminators can indeed be used as Lando's YVH droids (Yuuzhan Vong Hunter-Killer droids). Although I imagine the YVHs were a little larger then humans, though I'm not positive.

The Hunter-Killer ship fires two missiles very accurately. A thumb wheel hidden on its back rotates the twin engines from landing to flight modes and back again. I'd say the vehicle is under-sized, but I'd expected that. Still it's very worth buying. The cockpit opens up (underneath!) and it holds one figure. This is cool for a toy, like the Homing Spider Droid, but also like the SW toy, I thought the ships were totally AI controlled and don't actually require pilots. However, though you can put a Terminator pilot figure in the H-K, you can make John, Kate, or Marcus (or that other guy Barnes) take control of an HK and make it fight for the Resistance! Finally, the landing gears are spring loaded but you manually position them in flight mode or landing mode.

I'm very glad I bought this and might go for a 2nd even (though my Target sold out of them today).

I think the Terminator line is going to be awesome!

Terminator is so cool!

Beast
04-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Is the T-100 or whatever out yet? The 1st Generation models from T3.

I really loved the designs of those, and will probably pick it up.

Tycho
04-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Yes. I have one. It's cool though I haven't opened it yet. I may buy multiples of this though, all to open, as I really like what they did with it.

It's part of the 6" line, but I bet you could display it with the McFarlanse T3 figures that they did some years back.

figrin bran
04-16-2009, 12:25 AM
I've no plans to collect this line but it's fun to read your comments about the toys, Tycho. I won't be buying many, if any, of the Star Trek line and ROTF and so for once I'll be on the outside looking in on those of you collecting this summer's movie toy lines.

RUSHBOY
04-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I found some Terminator salvation toys today at my local TRU !!
The 3 3/4 figures are 6.99 and the 6 inch ones are 9.99 .

From the 3 3/4 figures I bought
John conner (masked and googled)
Marcus Wright
T-700 x 2

The 6 inch figures are nice aswell but I didn't buy any.

:thumbsup:

Ando
04-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Went to Target after reading Tycho's initial post. No joy. May try my nearest TRU. I would like to pick up some of these or at least see them.

It's been way too long since I've seen anything of interest in the toy aisles (that's new).

JediTricks
04-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Man, I've seen a review of the 6" line that looks dreadful! Even the robots look bad to me, although the reviewer didn't feel as strongly as I did.

The Hunter Killer is on TRU's website, "only" $22. Ouch.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-17-2009, 10:30 PM
I picked up all 6 of the 6'' today!!! (well, I got 5 and my dad found the T-1 in dayton) I think they look pretty decent and I actually thought about collecting the 3.75 line as it's cheaper, but there are more figures AND vehicles. Plus, I gotta say consistent with the previous 6'' terminator figs I have.

My only gripe would be Marcus isnt' that detailed and yes, John looks kinda goofy with the helmet. Hopefully, like Tycho stated, we can get a non-helmet John sometime soon.

Target also had the Hunter Killer for $19.99 I THINK.

I'll post pics in a bit/tomorrowish.

Tycho
04-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Anyone think the Hot Toys figures (John, a T-600 I think, and a previously sold and maybe wait-list-only, T-800 Exoskeleton) are worth it?

I suppose the very costly price of the Terminators' parts make that figure's costs run high, thus the $150 price point. But what makes the John Connor worth so much?

It'd be nice if he were in the $80's to $90's and that discount were an incentive to collect all the Hot Toys Terminator stuff.

SideShow did Arnold, Linda (as Sarah), and I think they did the Resistance Tech-Com Commando Kyle Reese (Michael Bien from the Future War scenes).

At least Arnold and Linda look wrong. Oh - and I think they did Robert Patrick as the T-1000 without doing much more than making him a police man, with stick-on bullet impacts and alternate steel arms. I think the only way to get two of the steel arms is by buying the exclusive though.

Overall, I don't think the older Terminator movies have as much to offer as a toy line, versus what the Future Wars bring.

The 3 3/4" line with SkyNet vehicles (as well as modern military and civilian stuff) can rock that much more.

Meanwhile the 6" look much better than the previous larger figure line that included 13 year old John on his motorcycle from T2:JD. I think Kenner did those, but I'm not sure.

RooJay
04-18-2009, 02:03 AM
I own all of Hot Toys Dark Knight figures released so far, and I've got to say that the quality and design (not to mention the staggering number of accessories commonly included) is so far above and beyond anything Sideshow has ever done that the extra fifty or sixty bucks they're asking over Sideshow's standard prices make them well worth it! I'm very seriously considering pre-ordering their John Connor figure. I'll probably get Marcus as well, if they ever produce him.

Picked up the Hunter Killer and basic Marcus figure tonight. They are definitely much better looking in person, and actually much cooler than I expected. Not to say there isn't still a lot of room for improvement - the likenesses are actually better than expected, but could still be better. They're also not really up to current standards as compared to other 3 3/4" lines as far as articulation goes. Still, I'm glad I picked them up, and may well end up buying the rest of the line, as well.
One question about the Hunter Killer, though: The ones I came across at Target were all colored in a dark gun-metal tone, as opposed to the much lighter silver shown on the back of the package - anyone know if the lighter silver version exists, or if they ended up all shipping in this color?

jonthejedi
04-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Have to agree...of all my movie-related toy merchandise, Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece series stands on the shoulders of giants. I couldn't afford any of the Dark Knight ones, but I prebooked John Conner & the T-600. I also have Scar Predator, Kyle Reese(long sold out), Ripley w/Power Loader, Corp. Hicks, Kane & Dallas from Alien.

Tycho
04-18-2009, 12:25 PM
My friend has the Power Loader with Ripley. It's very impressive!

I think the Predator figures top my list, with the Dark Knight stuff closely following. (I don't own any of these, but my buddy does - this is all he buys - high-end premium figures). John Connor looks excellent but the price is way off the charts. Oh - the same friend has the T-800 exoskeleton with light-up eyes and it is also incredible. However, the Predators in his figure display cabinet dwarf everything else, and Robocop seems quite large and imposing, too.

Blue2th
04-18-2009, 01:27 PM
I saw all those Alien and Robocop Hot Toys at Comic Con a couple of years back. Ed-209 was huge! I wanted the Ripley in Loader really bad, but I'll just settle for the little Konami one I have.

The Hunter killer with figure was at Target yesterday.
It doesn't look like the figure fits in the vehicle. Is he suppose to?
I guess the Hunter Killer could be an autonomous vehicle.

jedimastergeorge06
04-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Went to toysrus and saw these there and got both endoskeletons the black and greyish white one and both marcuses..I think these are much better than the star trek figures. Yes they could be better but they are better compared to the trek figures. I see that they have holes on the bottom of their feet...well one hole..maybe a playset in the works or something? I really like the marcus figures..very nice!! Id rather collect these anyday instead of the trek figures...The trek figures are ok but they could be a whole lot better. So keep trying playmates...maybe one day you will get it. Just look at what kind of articulation hasbro is doing and just something like that and you will do well.

Tycho
04-18-2009, 04:41 PM
The Hunter killer with figure was at Target yesterday.
It doesn't look like the figure fits in the vehicle. Is he suppose to?
I guess the Hunter Killer could be an autonomous vehicle.

The figure does fit in the HK. The cockpit is in the bottom. In the movie though, I suspect the HK is autonomous and doesn't need a pilot. It's modeled after Global Hawks and Predators afterall.

JediMasterGeorge06: yeah the Terminator figures are better. Both are made by playmates, but probably by different artisitic teams. At Hasbro, different folks worked on Marvel, GI Joe, Transformers, and Star Wars (the SW team did Indiana Jones, however). But most of the quality was consistent. Indy was actually handled the least well amongst these properties. I think either different sculptors or different factories / painters were used. Then again, all the same folks could be responsible for the human SW characters from the TAC that looked so terrible.

I think I'll go over and look at Toys R Us today. My store had gotten nothing from Star Trek or Terminator. In fact:

SAN DIEGO:

Toys R Us: Nothing

Wal-Mart: Star Trek only

Target: Star Trek and Terminator

Terminator is selling the best out of any line right now. They can't keep it in stock.

"Salvation" will be the biggest kick-butt movie of the summer, I bet. Anyway, probably only Transformers will really give it a run for its money in terms of the theater-going audience. However, Transformers just will not compete in so far as story. Orci and Kurtzman have already seen to that.

Tycho
04-19-2009, 12:25 AM
UPDATE: I got the rest of the 6" Terminator figures today.

I want another T-700 (great figure!) and I got John Connor!

My friend and I were just discussing this: Christian Bale wants to be paid for his likeness being used, thus the expense on the Hot Toys John Connor ($159 for a regular human 12"). Bale will beat anybody up who uses or purchases his likeness without paying him first. Between movie projects, he is currently in possession of an axe and a baseball bat and is scouring eBay trying to find customizers. Please be careful. Bale himself cautions: "@#!@!@- you, You Mother-$#$@#ing $@#!~!@. I'll kick your $@#!@! and then I'll kill your dog and stuff its carcass in your sister's @$@#@! And I'm not done yet! Then I'm gonna...." (We interrupt this quote of Christian Bale because the auto-censor could overload already and might crash this entire system - with appologies to Mr. Bale. Please don't kill us.)

Anyway, I hope that Bale will allow his likeness to be used by Playmates Toys, or offer them the chance to sell some kind of reasonable (say $20) exclusive figure of him in the 3 3/4" and 6" sizes.

I'm not sure how Mattel and The Dark Knight handled the 3 3/4" and 6" figures.

jonthejedi
04-19-2009, 06:36 AM
...there's one guy I never want to rub the wrong way!

JediTricks
04-19-2009, 02:44 PM
No idea who "Blair" is, but she's the pilot of the A-10 toy:
http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=ImageBank&file=index&id=91711

I mention this because of a conversation Tycho and I had last night. Here's a boxed pic proving this thing is going to be released:
http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=ImageBank&file=index&id=91710

DarkArtist
04-19-2009, 04:34 PM
spotted these today in a TRU run and have to say was interested in getting an army of the T.R.I.P and T-700 along with the Hunter Killer. might get some in a few weeks or so.

Tycho
04-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Cool picture finds JT.

Terminator 3 is on AMC right now. I'm kind of watching it while I play on the forums.

The T-1 is not exactly the same in T3 as it is in Salvation. The head is definitely different.

Ando
04-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Finally saw the Terminator: Salvation toys on the shelf at Target and TRU this weekend.

I think I will pass for now.

Snowtrooper
04-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I picked up the 6" T-R.I.P. yesterday at Target. It looks pretty decent. I was hoping to get the 12" versions, but they didn't have either endoskeleton. I don't think I plan on collecting much from this line, but maybe after seeing the movie I might change my mind.

RooJay
04-21-2009, 02:27 AM
One question about the Hunter Killer, though: The ones I came across at Target were all colored in a dark gun-metal tone, as opposed to the much lighter silver shown on the back of the package - anyone know if the lighter silver version exists, or if they ended up all shipping in this color?

Just thought I'd ask again...

Tycho
04-21-2009, 02:52 PM
I didn't answer before I had seen a lot of them. Now that I've had more experience, I can only report finding a darker gun-metal tone. No silver ones.

That's a good repaint for Playmates, like Hasbro does with all their Transformers. (Though kudos to Hasbro as Mudflap and Skids appear to be different molds with different transformation schemes!!!)

Ando
04-21-2009, 03:32 PM
I've seen the same here in Portland in regards to the Aerial HK w/T-700 toy.

Could be a an early generation Aerial HK metal to match the T-700's vs. the silver/chrome colored Aerial HK's and T-800/888/101's from the early movies and we'll see a silver version down the road?

RooJay
04-22-2009, 02:18 AM
So the T-700s all are darker colored than the standard silver we've seen on most other models?

JediTricks
04-24-2009, 01:25 PM
I finally saw the Hunter Killer at TRU Los Feliz. They had a bunch, and none of them were anything less than pure black. WTF? This is not at all what I was looking for. If I'm going to pull the trigger on these, then at least they should look right. Playmates has some explaining to do on this.

plasticfetish
04-28-2009, 03:30 AM
So... I haven't bothered with this line much, but I got out today and took a good look at just about everything that Playmates has to offer.

The 3-3/4-inch figures look like fun. I'll pick up a T-700, maybe a T-R.I.P. (stupid name), and I'll probably want a Hunter Killer also, but the rest aren't a big deal to me. Given time I can see myself going for most of them though.

The 6-inch line is pretty much the same, but I'll probably pass on these except for the T-1. (Didn't see this yet BTW. Any sign of them out there?) Same goes for the larger 10/12-inch figures also... even though I kind of want a T-R.I.P. (Something about "light up eyes" always gets me.)

Did anybody else see the little roll-play set with Terminator battle damage scars? I sort of thought that was funny. The "Power Fist" was cool also. Has the Deluxe T-600 Voice N Vision Mask turned up yet?

At the Playmates Web site, they have a section for "play sets," but nothing added yet. Curious to see what these will be.

I'm not sure how Mattel and The Dark Knight handled the 3 3/4" and 6" figures.I'd assume that they paid the man what he wanted... after he dangled Matty Collector from the side of a building. ;)

I'm blown away by the fact that Playmates even bothered to put out John Connor figures if they couldn't actually get (or afford) the rights to Bale's likeness. Has anyone heard or read anything about this from an official source? I'd love to know what the story is, or why Bale though he could do a frigging Terminator movie and not have toys made that show his character's face.

Weird.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-28-2009, 08:07 AM
I found a T-Rip at TrU and my dad also spotted one at a TrU south of me. So they're out there.

Ando
04-28-2009, 09:58 AM
The 6-inch line is pretty much the same, but I'll probably pass on these except for the T-1. (Didn't see this yet BTW. Any sign of them out there?) Same goes for the larger 10/12-inch figures also... even though I kind of want a T-R.I.P. (Something about "light up eyes" always gets me.)

Did anybody else see the little roll-play set with Terminator battle damage scars? I sort of thought that was funny. The "Power Fist" was cool also. Has the Deluxe T-600 Voice N Vision Mask turned up yet?

I have seen the T-1 around Portland in a couple places. I want to say that the Beaverton TRU and various Targets had it.

The role play set is cool, but I like the sticker/gel scars with metal showing underneath better. They kinda look like Halloween/movie prosthetics that you could blend into the skin with make-up.

Haven't seen the mask yet.

plasticfetish
04-28-2009, 07:48 PM
I have seen the T-1 around Portland in a couple places....and then we hit Fred Meyer this afternoon, and they had one there. I passed for now, but will get it for sure at some point. Fred Meyer had a huge endcap full of Trek and Terminator toys BTW. I'll probably be holding off 'til they have one of their sales/deals.

We did pick up a 3-3/4-inch T-RIP for my son, who was really excited about the line, and has been playing with the thing since he got home from school. It's simplistic, but well made and a lot of fun. I'm giving the mecha from that line a big thumbs-up so far.

And, as an aside... when he saw the 3-3/4-inch John Connor figure with covered face, he said, "Oh, that'll be great for my al-Qaeda play set." :sur:

Tycho
04-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Osama Bin Connor - right.

My Toys R Us made a huge front entry display with Terminator on the left and Star Trek on the right. It was where all the Star Wars (and later Barbie) items were set up last year.

I think the Terminator side just has the machines (T-800 exoskeletons or something) - probably because Christian Bale showed up to personally charge them if they used his image. The Star Trek side showed huge portaits of Spock, Uhura, and Kirk.

They ought to use the tattood Nero saying "At last we will reveal ourselves. At last we will have revenge." Oh yeah - that was put in some other movie.

plasticfetish
04-29-2009, 01:04 AM
probably because Christian Bale showed up to personally charge them if they used his image.Even as I'm writing this it doesn't make sense, but I wonder if maybe Mattel has exclusive rights to his image or something like that...?

RooJay
04-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Makes sense to me, and I believe that could very well be the case.

Tycho
04-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Hot Toys did an extremely great rendering of Christian Bale as John Connor for their $160 12" figure. But they also produced him for their Batman products.

ZERO-SHIFT
04-29-2009, 08:06 AM
I found this thread searching for collectors' opinions on the Playmates Terminator Salvation figures and decided to register to share some info with you guys which is relevant to this discussion.

Back in January Playmates showed off their new Terminator products, including an unmasked 3.75" John Connor with moto-terminator as seen in this gallery on Atamaii. (http://blog.atamaii.com/photo/albums/terminator-salvation-toys) There is a closeup of the figure, with clear Bale likeness, in the last photo on page 1 and a photo of the entire figure with moto-terminator on page 2 (as well as other unreleased figures, such as harvester in two different sizes and a 3.75" endoskeleton with a super-heated "glowing" red hot paint scheme.)

These other figures may have been canceled but I think it's more likely part of a second wave. No idea about a 6 or 10 inch unmasked John, unfortunately.

plasticfetish
04-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks man, and welcome!

Yeah... and that's a nice likeness of Bale also. Maybe they're just holding off 'til the movie's had a chance to hit or miss... I dunno.

That big Harvester looks great. The "burning" T-RIP is really nice... there's some good stuff there.

Maerj2000
04-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Just picked up the T-R.I.P. and its really good. Its pretty cool to have a Terminator on the Star Wars scale. He beat the crap out of Wuher when he was told that they don't serve his kind in the Cantina!*

One thing I found to be odd was that the T-700 and the HK are both black. The pictures show them both as being silver but the final products are black. Was there a mistake or are they like that in the movie? I dunno. Maybe they were stealth versions?

* And yes, I really did have the Terminator beat up Wuher. My wife thinks I'm nuts! :D

Tycho
04-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the boards, ZERO-SHIFT and thank you for posting those new Terminator figure pics. I'll definitely be getting the Christian Bale John Connor and the burning Terminator, and of course the A-10 Thunderbolt plane.

I hope we'll soon see images of the tow truck and helicopter, too.

DarkArtist
05-01-2009, 10:27 AM
so i picked up the T-100, T-RIP and T-700 yesterday from the store and after seeing them up close they are not have bad. the T-100 although not in scale to the 3.75 line looks really cool (might have to get 2 more for a dio...was thinking of mixing these guys with either Star Wars or G.I. Joe.)

Tycho
05-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I bought 2 T-1s myself for a diorama. I think I'm still going to use it with the 6" figures even though it's out of scale. It still looks good.

Today I picked up an extra T-600 (6 inch). The figure has alternate heads, thus I think I'll display one each way.

JediTricks
05-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Wow, thanks for the link. The sad part is we actually linked to that page before to show Tycho that the A-10 Warthog is small, but didn't notice Bale on the page.

Tycho
05-02-2009, 10:21 PM
but didn't notice Bale on the page.

He wasn't swearing loud enough.

DarkArtist
05-03-2009, 10:33 AM
I think all I want to get from this line is a few more of the T-RIP's and T-700's and maybe 2 more T-100's and a couple of the Hunter Killers and that's about it. Maybe the A-10 as well but not interested in the resistence figures at all or the 6" line (with the exception of the T-100)

RooJay
05-05-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm actually liking these figures a lot more than I feel I should, given the design and quality. I find them, in fact, t be perfectly adequate - with the exception of the poorly executed human characters. Marcus is actually quite decent however.

(Dare I say it - I'm even finding myself liking Playmates' Star Trek line as well. Possibly more...)

Tycho
05-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I just got the A-10 Thunderbolt (Warthog) jet today. I haven't had a chance to open it yet, but I'll edit this post when I do.

However, while I was in the store I can tell everyone the plane is much smaller than the Cobra Rattler and comparable GI Joe planes done for that similar style. Not a Joe collector, I only noticed today that the Rattler is not a Thunderbolt. I always thought it was. The engines are similar but in a wing position rather than on the tail like a real A-10.

The Rattler might be a real fighter jet as well though. But if so, I cannot confirm that. It does look cool.

JediTricks
05-13-2009, 02:53 PM
The Rattler needs the engines on the wings because the wings rotate 90 degrees making it a VTOL. Also, another difference is that the Rattler has a gunner turret behind the cockpit. It is not even remotely a real thing.

Tycho
05-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Well, I'd figure the Rattler could be a real thing. It's not as wild as some of the Joe vehicles that are out there.

As to the Terminator Salvation A-10? Wow! I just opened it and I'm impressed!

It's larger than the Hunter-Killer. It drops 4 missiles / 4 bombs, and launches one missile from the front cannon that's supposed to be a machine gun. The plane is smaller than it would be in real life of course, but it's great to have this. I wished my Transformer Powerglide was this size for certain!

The figure of Blair is awesome as well. She is very nicely painted and well articulated and detailed. She has a removeable helmet, and long hair tied in a ponytail in the back. She is supposed to be an Asian girl shown in the previews (lots of people thought that might be Jesse from The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but it's not but rather another Asian girl in the Resistance). Anyway, Blair has all the articulation of some of the best and latest SW figures, she's the same size and fits nicely in the fighter plane's cockpit. She has a gun that fits in her leg holster as well. Actually, I hope they release a carded figure of Blair later on in this line (but first we need Kate Connor of course).

Anyway, this was another very satisfying purchase from the Terminator line.

Maerj2000
05-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if they'll be releasing figures of those motorcycle Terminators or that really big robot they've been showing in the trailers?

Tycho
05-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Yes. The Harvester (the really big robot) will come out in like August as part of the build-up-to-Christmas part of the line.

The motorcycles will be released for the 3 3/4" line before then - June I think. There will also be a tow truck and John Connor's helicopter (all seen in the same movie trailer) and all for the 3 3/4" line, but I haven't seen pictures of those yet either.

If you've kept up with this thread, or maybe even you were the one who posted it, there will be an unmasked (Christian Bale) figure of John Connor coming, too. And I have seen pictures. I'll see if I saved it and can attach...

I also hope they make Kate Connor, Kyle Reese, and a movie-spoiler Terminator.

Beast
05-13-2009, 08:35 PM
I think the unmasked Christan Bale was an early prototype.

Since Bale's not playing ball for likeness rights, I wouldn't expect it to come out like that.

Tycho
05-13-2009, 08:40 PM
I think the unmasked Christan Bale was an early prototype.

Since Bale's not playing ball for likeness rights, I wouldn't expect it to come out like that.

I don't know about that. The masked John Connor, not shown on the packaging (and he's got a hat and goggles for the 6" version) might be an attempt to make us buy more than 1 figure of him.

I really think that McG or whomever has control over this would make him give up his rights to control things like this when he signs on. As to the Hot Toys figure (which I really want but wouldn't pay more than $70 for - it's just a GI Joe), I think Bale agreed to come into their sculpting studio or do a session with their artists on-set, and for that he can charge (for his time) thereby increasing the price of the figure. The C. Bale Batman figures with his likeness are not so over-the-top in price, and also the smaller Mattel ones bear his likeness (or you could claim that) and they were average price of action figures (3 3/4" and 6" line of Dark Knight figures).

Beast
05-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Bale wouldn't give his likeness of voice for the Terminator video game.

Considering what a complete arse he is, I wouldn't be surprised if he just said no.

Tycho
05-14-2009, 12:48 AM
There still remains the question of The Dark Knight basic figures that bear his likeness and remain unresolved (though I am sure that his ego grows more between movies as one of its built-in features).

figrin bran
05-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Maybe I'll get a Blair...

for custom fodder.

It's just me but I think the human figures from this line don't look very good. I don't care what JT says, DCIH is better.

JediTricks
05-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Maybe I'll get a Blair...

for custom fodder.

It's just me but I think the human figures from this line don't look very good. I don't care what JT says, DCIH is better.
Better than what, making your own figures out of toothpicks and matchbooks?

DarkArtist
05-19-2009, 04:56 PM
TRU is having a sale on the 3.75 figures 2 for $9.99 and the Hunter Killer is marked down to $15.99. might hit up TRU tomorrow and pic up 2 of the Hunter and a few of the T-RIP and T-700.

still have yet to spot the A-10

JediTricks
05-20-2009, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the 411! I guess I may have to cave on the Hunter Killer in black then.

I actually spotted the A-10 at Target the other day, it's not as small as the Hunter Killer, the wings snap on after you take it out. But the landing gear doesn't fold up, that is another blow to this set IMO.

Tycho
05-20-2009, 12:24 PM
You really need to buy that A-10 upon sighting it JT. You have a 30 day or 90 day (at Target) return priviledge and price-match opportunity anyway. (That is, if you want it.) I highly recommend the plane and the Blair figure is great.

JediTricks
05-20-2009, 05:03 PM
I am pretty broke, lots of money stuff has been coming up lately and now I am mega sick. I'll check it out at your house though when I visit.

Darth Duranium
05-21-2009, 02:26 AM
Saw the A-10 and H-K at TRU today. I wasn't impressed with the scaling issues especially with the A-10, but I was quite reluctant to pass on the H-K (love the design). But I did.:upset:

I have a (25% smaller) nicer H-K in silver from T2 so I'll stick with that one. The new one looks like a fun toy for kids, though. Adding a figure seems smart to me, though there's a huge price to pay with the grossly distorted cockpits etc. I think it'll sell well to kids indeed.

I'd love to see Titanium-sized versions of these ships.... the MM H-K's too small, IMO

Blue2th
05-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Corgi makes a nice little 1/100 version of the A-10. They used to sell them along with a few other jets at Walmart for like $4. Good quality for the price.

DarkArtist
05-22-2009, 11:20 AM
picked up the A-10 yesterday along with 2 T-RIP's, 1 T-700 and battle damaged Marcus and a hunter Killer from TRU.

the A-10 is small and doesn't sit flat on all the gears unless the figure is sitting in the cockpit

Tycho
05-22-2009, 12:01 PM
the A-10 is small and doesn't sit flat on all the gears unless the figure is sitting in the cockpit

Pull down the "handhold for simulated flight handle in the back." I need the Blair Williams figure on the ground myself for my scenes, so the plain is going to be grounded if there isn't an alternative pilot made available. Perhaps a basic Marcus figure wearing Blair's helmet would work, but I think the upcoming John Connor figure (used as someone else, not John, with the helmet on) would look better. We just haven't gotten that figure yet.

So my scenes I'm going to set up (in spite of not liking this movie as much as I'd hoped to):

SPOILER WARNING (if anyone cares)

3.5"

Helicopter vs. Hunter-Killer

Chopper
Hunter-Killer
John Connor - I'll use the masked one here just for fun

Marcus Saves Kyle Reese

Marcus
T-600

They need to make Kyle Reese here

Bridge Chase

Tow truck (forthcoming)
Motor Terminator
Motor Terminator
Hunter-Killer
I might buy some other brand's replica cars in the right scale to have smashed up here

Blair helps Marcus escape the Resistance:

A-10 Grounded
Blair on foot with gun drawn
Marcus Damaged
Barnes (hunting them down)

Marcus saves John from Hydrobots

Helicopter (forthcoming)
Marcus Damaged
John unmasked (forth-coming)
at least the two hydrobots that I'll get from the two damaged Marcus figures

Assault at SkyNet Headquarters

T-1 (6")
Marcus (wrong outfit for the moment)
T-RIP
T-700
T-700 (use as many as you like just standing there on the assembly line)

This scene needs an unmaksed John Connor (coming out), an Arnold figure would be useful, the red-hot T-RIP coming out is going to work here, and Kyle Reese.

I might buy a larger helicopter from another toy line (like a BlackHawk) and put Barnes, Blair, Marcus, Kyle, John all on it. I'd like them to card the Blair figure for this reason.

I'm left over with probably 7-8 T-700's. I'll just save them.

6"

Assault at SkyNet Headquarters

T-1
Marcus (wrong outfit for the moment)
T-600
T-600 with alt head
T-RIP
T-700
John

They could make Arnold, and Kyle, a battle-damaged Marcus, and Blair for this line.

SirSteve
05-23-2009, 02:29 AM
In case you did not know... my new venture at CollectionStation.com (http://www.collectionstation.com/categories/view/Playmates-Toys.2617/Terminator-Salvation.2618) is in beta and you can now catalog your Playmates Terminator Salvation toys so check it out!

JetsAndHeels
06-01-2009, 05:04 PM
I picked up a 6 inch TRIP today at Walmart while I was out looking at Transformers toys. I am now thinking about getting a HK. For those who own one, do you recommend it?

Tycho
06-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Yes, the Hunter-Killer and the A-10 plane are both really cool quality vehicles for the Terminator line. I've opened both and enjoy having them.

JetsAndHeels
06-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I took your advice Tycho. I bought a Hunter Killer today from Target.

I will post my thoughts on it later.

figrin bran
06-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Action Figure Insider posted a Q&A with Playmates regarding the future of the Terminator Salvation and Star Trek lines http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=3468

Figures from the first 2 Terminator films could be interesting...

RooJay
06-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Awesome! I'm dying to add Christian bale as Connor to my collection (and I'll probably now even pick up the current, faceless John Connor figures as background resistance fighters) and I would totally be interested in buying 3 3/4" Terminator Arnie figures - especially from the first two flicks!

Maerj2000
06-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Good news! I hope they do a good sculpt on the Terminator 1 and 2 figures, I 'd love to pick those up. While I'm glad they are making the Harvester, I was hoping for one in a larger scale. They were pretty big in the movie as I recall. 14 inch robot isn't too shabby though.

Tycho
06-06-2009, 01:54 PM
What I want:

(considering that we have the Exoskeleton for the T-700 and don't need a 3 3/4" 800.)

Terminator 1

Arnold in trench coat
Sarah in her factory battle outfit (jeans, pink top)
Kyle Reese with trench coat and shotgun on a rope
Dr. Silverman
Police Capt.
Police Lt.
generic police officer

Terminator 2

Arnold w/o sunglasses
Arnold w. sunglasses
John Connor
Sarah in black
T-1000 as policeman
T-1000 as motorcycle cop
Mental Institution Guard with changeable hands to make him the T-1000
T-1000 blown apart (like McFarlane figure)
T-1000 with bullet holes

Vehicles:

Arnold's motorcycle
T-1000's towtruck (they could re-use the Salvation toy we haven't seen yet)
Liquid Nitrogen Tanker (comes with real dry ice kids can sniff)
Police Helicopter (they could re-use Salvation's chopper due out for John)
Skull-Crusher Tank (giant version of the T-1 from the Future Wars)

Maerj2000
06-07-2009, 09:57 AM
What I want:

Liquid Nitrogen Tanker (comes with real dry ice kids can sniff)

Nice, I like that one! lol

Ji'dai
06-07-2009, 07:32 PM
I saw Terminator 2 Minimates at my TRU Friday. The only ones I didn't see were the exploded T-1000 and Sarah Conner. (These are made by Diamond Select Toys / Art Asylum and not Playmates).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Target has these figures on clearance for those who are collecting them. This doesn't bode well for the line, methinks.

figrin bran
07-06-2009, 09:57 PM
I didn't see figures on clearance on Target but then again, the pegs have been empty for weeks. I did see the Hunter Killers on clearance.

It'll be interesting to see if the other waves ever see the light of day. Unlike Hasbro or even Mattel, Playmates just doesn't have that many lines and so even if TRU is the only retailer to carry these, they just might release them.

JediTricks
07-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Where did you see the HK on clearance? I want that.

I wonder if Playmates will try to do the next wave when the DVD comes out, or if retailers have had enough failure from them with this and ST?

JetsAndHeels
07-10-2009, 04:37 PM
I took your advice Tycho. I bought a Hunter Killer today from Target.

I will post my thoughts on it later.

Here are my thoughts:

I like it!!

Maerj2000
07-10-2009, 09:17 PM
I've been to three different Targets, each had different things on clearance. Some just had 12 inch and 6 inch figs with the HKS and role play stuff. Last one had all Terminator stuff including 3 3/4 inch figs. I bought 2 more Terminators, at $4.88 not a bad purchase. I've been finding the SW Evolution sets for $15 and those Mighty Muggs as well.

Tycho
08-13-2009, 03:27 AM
Entertainment Earth has the Harvester 16" Terminator figure up for pre-sale. (It goes with the 3 3/4" action figure line) I ordered it. I have my doubts it will ever see the light of day though.

The other thing is that I feel very lucky to have the A-10 Thunderbolt Jet with Blair figure, as I've never again seen that in stores.

I'm currently looking at OTHER toy lines to supply me with a towtruck and a helicopter my Terminator figures can utilize in case the Playmates line ones never materialize - which is the best guess for the future at this point.

Ando
08-13-2009, 09:18 AM
[quote=Tycho;691626]The other thing is that I feel very lucky to have the A-10 Thunderbolt Jet with Blair figure, as I've never again seen that in stores.[quote]

We never saw the A-10 here in Portland.

Blue2th
08-13-2009, 09:22 AM
I never saw the Warthog anywhere either. I guarantee I would have jumped on it being the aircraft fan that I am.
Even though it was out of scale it still looked nice, and would have worked well with my 1:32 stuff. :ermm:

Maerj2000
10-23-2009, 07:51 PM
I recently wrote to Plymates toys about the Harvester robot and here is their response:

As of now the Harvester has not been ordered by any of the stores here
in the USA and I am not sure if they will pick it up internationally
either.
Thank you & Regards, Paula Billingsley
Consumer Service
Playmates Toys Inc.

So, unfortunately, there you have it.

Tycho
10-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Hmmm. Entertainment Earth let me pre-order it some time ago.

It's nice that Playmates responded though.

There are some cheap "generic toy line" vehicles (helicopter and dune buggy) sold at the major retailers. I'm considering those because I'm doubting the towtruck and helicopter will ever be released.

Oh - Snakeyes' motorcycle from GI Joe would also be a good choice for John Connor's converted mototerminator bike.

Maerj2000
11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
I just got the big Terminator Harvester! Its pretty cool, has light up spotlights and a pop up cannon on its shoulder.

I wrote back to the person from Playmates Toys about it and said that I've seen some of them on You Tube, being reviewed, so I know that some were made. She said that some were produced as sales samples. I checked ebay and sure enough, I found one. So, if anyone is interested, check ebay because there are some of these things out there.

Tycho
11-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Really? Entertainment Earth e-mailed me and said they were cancelling my order because they weren't getting those.

I better check eBay I guess.

How much did you have to pay for it?

Maerj2000
11-03-2009, 08:12 PM
$41, which isn't too bad. From what I was told by the Playmates rep, a certain number were produced to send out as salesmen samples. I don't know how many but they said that they wished they could get one so I am thinking that its not too many. t-69er was the guy I bought it from, maybe he has another one? He is in HIALEAH, FL, if that helps.

Tycho
11-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I looked and there were no more on eBay. Ironically, a search turned up one for sale on Amazon.com. I bought for $37.62 with shipping.

I hope I really get this.

The picture showed the toy holding the action figures (3 3/4" Marcus and John).

It said Deluxe Harvester Terminator Salvation Toy.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm going to get what I wanted in the first place.

Now I wish they would turn up with the moto-terminators.

My plan is to buy GI Joe's Snakeyes on the motorcycle and replace him with John Connor if need be.

I bought this Wal-Mart generic helicopter toy for The Corps 3 3/4" figures to also have John Connor fly.

I keep looking for a suitable tow truck toy for Marcus to ride in, but to no avail. I really wish they'd come out with Kyle Reese for the 3 3/4" figures as was planned.

Terminator fandom is a small niche, but one I'm very into.

Maerj2000
11-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Congrats on finding a Harvester!

I found some ebay auctions for the moto-terminators with John Conner figure! They are all coming from the UK, but they look like the real deal. I am thinking of sending for 2 of them, I think all the sellers have multiples of these. We both have the Harvesters now we can get these too! :D What else do we need to get yet that they may have made and not released?

Tycho
11-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Congrats on finding a Harvester!

I found some ebay auctions for the moto-terminators with John Conner figure! They are all coming from the UK, but they look like the real deal. I am thinking of sending for 2 of them, I think all the sellers have multiples of these. We both have the Harvesters now we can get these too! :D What else do we need to get yet that they may have made and not released?

Thanks for the kind words and the information. I will look for the mototerminators. [UPDATE: and I found and bought 2 of them!]

Playmates was supposed to make:

a tow truck vehicle for the 3 3/4" figures (Marcus and Kyle escape on one right before the harvester (attached to the transport ship) takes Kyle on the bridge.

a helicopter vehicle for the 3 3/4" figures - similar to the ones John crashed in the swamp with the hydrobots and the one he flew earlier when he was shot down by Hunter-Killers.

I've never seen pictures of either of these.

Also, there were supposed to be new figures:

Kyle Reese
John Connor (unmasked)
hot metal Terminator exoskeleton
a new version of a T-600 (I think - it could have been for the 7")

Hadn't we also heard that Playmates got the license to make 3 3/4" figures from ALL the Terminator movies - thus Arnold, Linda Hamilton, Michael Bien, Ed Furlong, and more would get figures and vehicles, too?

They might be just waiting out this bad economy? Dunno. You know Christian Bale (and perhaps Sam Worthington) have contracts to do Terminator 4 and 5 still (as well as Batman 3 for Bale)

This is when Skynet takes over the computers in the Batmobile and ... oh wait ... I got confused.

RooJay
11-05-2009, 02:27 AM
You know word out of Hollywood is that the Terminator franchise is up for sale by current owners, Halcyon Group. I would really have liked to have seen those sequels, but they're starting to look highly unlikely.

Tycho
11-05-2009, 03:43 AM
"I'll buy back."

Ando
11-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Joss Whedon has made a pitch to buy the franchise. Here is his open letter to the owners of the franchise:

http://whedonesque.com/comments/22240 (http://whedonesque.com/comments/22240)

This is a perfect example of both why Joss Whedon SHOULD do more TV and also why he isn't doing more TV.

Tycho
11-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Joss Wedon's Terminator 5 Plot:

In the next installment of this series, Skynet disguises Terminators as call girls programmable with multiple personalities.

However, the machine intelligence doesn't account for several factors going into its insidious plan:

John Conner (Christian Bale) likes to stab call girls and assault them with chain saws while listening to Huey Lewis and the News or Whitney Houston recordings.
The new Terminator Girls' (as portrayed by Summer Glau) have circuitry reactions with Prozac, Zoloft, and Riddilan - the required medications necessary to make these new Termamatrixes' call-girl disguises believeable
One of the new Terminators starts to have memory flashbacks and dreams of returning to her old life as a toaster oven and instead of tracking John Conner, she's constantly killing the other Resistance Fighters and turning them into souflees, truly replacing the Iron Chef

RooJay
11-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if they actaully did sell to Whedon for a measley $10,000 thinking he was serious?

Tycho
11-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I got my Harvester today. It's HUGE!!!

The upper body and 4 arms and cannon, head, all are awesome.

I don't know why, or if it was like that in the movie, but the legs look blocky and very much like they belong on a toy. However, they are sturdy and this is a well-made, quality toy (as far as I can tell with it still packaged). I will have time to open it later I suppose).

In any case, I just wished the legs were as detailed as the upper body, but all else is great! Glad I got this.

I also have 2 John Conners on the moto-terminators coming.

Ando
11-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Any pics for us, Tycho?

Maerj2000
11-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I got my Harvester today. It's HUGE!!!

The upper body and 4 arms and cannon, head, all are awesome.

I don't know why, or if it was like that in the movie, but the legs look blocky and very much like they belong on a toy. However, they are sturdy and this is a well-made, quality toy (as far as I can tell with it still packaged). I will have time to open it later I suppose).

In any case, I just wished the legs were as detailed as the upper body, but all else is great! Glad I got this.

I also have 2 John Conners on the moto-terminators coming.

Glad you like it! Mine is on top of my entertainment center thing right now with Marcus in one claw and Barnes in the other. I'm very glad that I got one and its a shame that they aren't going to sell these in stores as they are pretty cool.

I'm a little short on money right now but I want to order the moto terminators ASAP.

Tycho
11-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Any pics for us, Tycho?

No. I just got Time/Warner cable in here, a DVR, etc. and all my Star Trek came home as I'm organizing my Star Wars in my storage so I can have stuff kept inventoried the way I want it.

I have a lot of things to do before I handle my Terminator stuff - but it will probably be a break-type-of-thing to distract me when I slow down my progress and feel burned out. That hour is coming soon though!

I think I need a tow truck toy the action figures can ride in to go with my scene I'm making with the Harvester figure. A Kyle Reese action figure (from Salvation) would be great too!

Tycho
11-09-2009, 09:52 PM
OK, I put one pic in the LA Just Found forum, and the one below I added here.

I don't have time to open this up and set up a diorama though.

I think it would have:

Marcus (normal) and Kyle Reese (not yet made as a figure) in a tow truck, being pursued by Moto-Terminators (still waiting for these to arrive) while facing the Harvester and a Hunter-Killer ahead of them.

Since I don't have a tow truck for 3 3/4" figures, nor do they make a Kyle Reese figure (could I customize a Star Trek Chekov figure? - don't really think it would look right though) - this one can go into storage for a while I guess. I'll open it and play with it before then though.

Tycho
11-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I got my Moto-Terminators from some online order I did.

The John Connor figure they come with is a repaint of the bandana-wearing one that was offered in the first figure wave! :mad:

I really wanted a Christian Bale likeness figure so I could recreate scenes of him cussing the Terminators out.

"$#@#!- You, Skynet, you $$@#!@ng piece of #@!!# machinery. My Mom says you're $@#!%#@!"

I have pictures from Toy Fair of the Christian Bale likeness (not really) figure that was supposed to come with these.

I haven't opened them yet, but the moto-Terminators have a button on them that causes parts to pop-up to turn them into regular human-driven motorcycles as well. I don't think John had any time to make modifications to his during the movie though.

Ando
11-11-2009, 03:20 PM
No. I just got Time/Warner cable in here, a DVR, etc...

How are you liking your DVR?

Tycho
11-11-2009, 04:49 PM
How are you liking your DVR?

I have not used it. Maybe I'll start recording Clone Wars, Smallville, and Sons of Anarchy. There's little else I watch.

Maybe if they re-run some programs on the History Channel.

I just got the DVR "just in case," not to make a habit of using it.

Honestly, I'm pretty busy with other stuff and I don't think I want to do anything with it this week.

JediTricks
11-14-2009, 03:47 AM
Sorry to hear about the bike situation, sounds like Playmates got cheap and merely reused the mold they had.

Did you get the HD-DVR so you can record shows in HD? That's the best part, it can record 2 HD shows at once (and you can watch a recorded show while it's doing it, but not a live one). What do you think of the HD cable service? Even if you didn't get the HD-DVR, Time Warner comes with free HD basic cable on alternate channel numbers and you have that poor ol' HDTV with no HD video from any source.

Tycho
11-14-2009, 08:17 AM
I have all the HD stuff connected. The pic looked good when I turned it on when the cable guy was here. I haven't turned it on since.

I didn't bother to use my DVR yet. I've been in the batting cages, out on social occasions, working on my novel, or organizing my storage. You're supposed to watch a TV when you own one? Maybe I'll find time to try that. Not this weekend though: it's my sports weekend with the Padres and Chargers.

Anyway, I make my own contribution to saving Southern California's electricity as that TV barely gets turned on.

Back to the Terminator Toys: There are actually 2 new John Connor body sculpts. One of them came with my moto-Terminators. He's wearing all different Resistance Fighter gear. However, it's just the darn masked head that they keep re-using, though the bandana is different (paint color anyway).

The Connor sculpt I got has SA legs with swivel hips so he can ride the moto-Terminator bike.

The other Connor in that outfit I only have a picture of. His hips are not swivel jointed and he's sculpted more like a general line Star Wars figure.

Thing is, there was nothing really wrong with the Christian Bale head sculpt. No it wasn't a dead-ringer for Bale, but it was satisfactory. I wished they'd come out with that.

I don't know whether the hang-up was costs producing just the head, or Bale and any likeness approval. Bale had a Mattel 3 3/4" Batman figure with his headsculpt. (Bruce Wayne). I may buy that pegwarming at Toys R Us or Target and customize my John Connor if it looks good. There's a pricey little custom - adapting a probably rare figure.

After that, I'm going to acquire a highly limited KENNER Boba Fett prototype with the firing rocket and re-paint him to be Jodo Kast. Yeah. That's a good idea.

Tycho
11-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I bought this Tonka tow truck today that's perfect for the size of 3 3/4" figures. I can put Marcus in it vs. the mototerminators, hunter-killer, and the Harvester.

Wished I had Kyle Reese!

Maerj2000
11-26-2009, 10:33 AM
That's cool, you're gonna have a cool display! I still need to get the moto terminators but haven't had a lot of money lately.

Tycho
11-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks. The thing that's trippy is the lack of 3 3/4" figures for the scene. The only one that is really missing is a Kyle Reese figure to ride in the towtruck with Marcus. However, the rest of the scene's elements are basically pilot-less vehicles.

To flesh it out further, I might want to buy other toy trucks and stuff (Tonkas or whatever's on that scale) and smash them up and burn them a bit. Then build the bridge. It would look great done up like a model railroad set, huh?

JediTricks
11-26-2009, 01:17 PM
TRU's doorbusters include a mystery one, buy 1 of the 6" Terminator figures, get 2 free. 2 free!!! That's crazy.

Tycho
11-27-2009, 10:54 AM
I bought Sulu and got Chekov free. This is in the Terminator section because I'm going to use the Chekov head on an appropriate 3 3/4" body to make Kyle Reese to ride with Marcus in my towtruck.

I looked at all the 3 3/4" figures that TRU was carrying and I didn't find a body I liked for Kyle, so the search will continue.

I want to see the Logan figures again from Wolverine, but TRU was out of them.

I also bought a "Battle Machines" Mustang from TRU. This car ($14.99 I think) is a replica black 2006 Mustang that can hold 3 3/4" figures pretty easily I imagine (it's larger than the similar Transformers Alternators Mustang - Wheeljack) but it has its windows sealed with "bullet-proofing steel," giving it a rather cool look. I think it will work nicely for a burned-out vehicle the Resistance might have used for the bridge scene with that towtruck I bought.

I will continue to look for other vehicles that might be useful in that scale. I think a semi-truck and one more car of some sort (or pick-up truck) will do. Oh - I also plan to get that GI Joe Cobra SUV and will cover or remove the Cobra symbols and perhaps either remove the weaponry or color it less "toyetic" and more burned-out background vehicle for the scene as well.

Still sucks that for a 3 3/4" scene there will be no Terminator figures (of robots themselves - though Skynet didn't need them quite then) and just Marcus and Kyle will be in the scene (when I customize Kyle).

I wonder if Playmates will atempt new figures (ever? and for Terminator 5? In this scale?) I hope so.

Rumors before - posted in this thread - suggest that Playmates was going to do Terminator 1 & 2 figures for this line as well. I'd love 'em all plus Sarah Connor Chronicles - however - Future Wars is the most toyetic.

Tycho
12-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I made 2 Kyle Reese figures:

a) I put Chekov's head on a Cobra Commander (as the Doctor) body for the trench coat look. The size difference is not apparent as he's mostly hidden, being seated in a Tonka towtruck with Marcus for the bridge-chase scene.

b) I bought Nero and Chekov today and I'm going to put Chekov's head on Nero, for a skinny, small Kyle to be dwarfed by the T-600 for that scene when he rescues Marcus from the streets of Los Angeles. I'll have to change out Nero's tattoo'd hand because Kyle doesn't have that kind of tattoo - but rather Skynet's laser branding (not Romulan).

Wal-Mart carries a garbage truck from Tonka Toys, that runs $20. It's big for the money but I don't think I can pull the trigger on it, as it will distract the focus of my scene away from the towtruck and The Harvester. I'll also have to paint it black and it's a large vehicle to begin with. I'd rather buy something that starts off as black and weathered, like the Battle Machines Mustang.

Maerj2000
12-06-2009, 12:06 PM
You have to post a pic when its all done, I'd like to see your setup. I have all of mine on a shelf, not recreating any scenes specifically, just sort of displaying the whole shebang. Still need the moto terminators but money has been really tight lately. :mad: Hopefully I can snag em soon.

Tycho
12-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah. I need to pay off what I charged. I didn't have the cash but didn't want to pass up the opportunity.

I just saw Salvation again on Friday night. It was much better once I knew what to expect. Sam Worthington was good as Marcus.

From Terminator 5, I want to see Kyle Reese play a bigger role. Hopefully, the cast stays intact and Anton Yelchin can handle it. He probably can.

A Chekov head on a Nero body (with some swapping of the hands to keep the skin tone consistent) works for a great Kyle Reese figure. He looks good, too.

I think maybe I could use 2 more burnt-out roadside wreck vehicles the same scale as the Tonka trucks, and I'm good.

Ji'dai
12-08-2009, 09:54 PM
TRU is having a one-day 50% off sale Wednesday Dec. 9th on all Star Trek and Terminator 3.75" figures (or $3.49 each). Voyager Class Transformers (reg. $21) are half price too.

Tycho
12-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Yup. I bought an extra John Connor.

Tycho
01-05-2010, 09:24 AM
My Toys R Us store had 2 A-10 Warthogs with Blair's figure on the shelves last night.

They could have been hidden toys the staff found, or returns. Dunno.

However, I left them, though I hope that wasn't a mistake. I'd bet they will still be sitting there today.

TRU also got a lot of new Star Trek figures they are clearancing out. Spock is back, thus I know. He (or Uhura) are the first Trek figures to sell out each new batch.

Ando
01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
My Toys R Us store had 2 A-10 Warthogs with Blair's figure on the shelves last night.

Man, I still haven't ever seen the A-10's here in Portland.

Tycho
01-26-2010, 06:04 PM
I have a letter from Playmates Toys saying they have no buyers to ship the next wave of Terminator Salvation products to.

They are sorry and will look for a way to get their planned product out in the future.

There is a way to make Kyle Reese with clearanced Star Trek figures:

Chekov's head and hands put on Nero's body = Kyle Reese (in barely telling Romulan clothes).

True he has no head cap, but some figure somewhere could lend him one:

Kyle Reese Bespin Guard
Kyle Reese in Hoth Gear
Kyle Reese Imperial Officer

You get the idea. However Kyle didn't always wear a head cover in the movie, I'm pretty sure.

So much for our hope for T1 and T2 figures in the 3 3/4" scale, too. (At the moment anyway).

BTW: now 3 Warthog jets are still sitting in my TRU's Terminator section. I don't think they've clearanced ANYTHING Terminator, but Star Trek is red-tagged.

RooJay
01-27-2010, 02:57 AM
My nearest TRU has never clearanced any Terminator figures either. They did have them on sale around Christmas, but they went back up to regular price immediately after.

DarkArtist
02-03-2010, 09:12 AM
I have a letter from Playmates Toys saying they have no buyers to ship the next wave of Terminator Salvation products to.

They are sorry and will look for a way to get their planned product out in the future.

There is a way to make Kyle Reese with clearanced Star Trek figures:

Chekov's head and hands put on Nero's body = Kyle Reese (in barely telling Romulan clothes).

True he has no head cap, but some figure somewhere could lend him one:

Kyle Reese Bespin Guard
Kyle Reese in Hoth Gear
Kyle Reese Imperial Officer

You get the idea. However Kyle didn't always wear a head cover in the movie, I'm pretty sure.

So much for our hope for T1 and T2 figures in the 3 3/4" scale, too. (At the moment anyway).

BTW: now 3 Warthog jets are still sitting in my TRU's Terminator section. I don't think they've clearanced ANYTHING Terminator, but Star Trek is red-tagged.

that's a sad letter. actually liked the line and was hoping that they would at least give us some TSCC and perhaps T1-3 stuff to go with the figures. was really hoping for a 3.75 Summer Glau and Arnold figure.

Tycho
02-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Ando (anyone else who needs 1): I can pick up the A-10's with Blair Williams (you'll be underwhelmed as they are a little small) at my TRU and mail them to you if you'd like.

They are sitting there. I don't know the price. Under $20 I'm sure. There are only 3, so I'm not getting myself in over my head by offering. I can't offer this to more than 3 people unless someone here wants more than 1.

Dark Artist: I echo your sentiments about a full-line of Terminator figures from all the movies (with vehicles, etc). I buy Tonka vehicles that are the same scale as 3 3/4" figues for the Salvation bridge scene (when Kyle is captured).

However, Cameron (Summer) would look great in any larger scale.

I keep toying with buying the Hot Toys Terminator figures. I think I'd really like them in 12" -

I'd get:

T1 Sarah in jeans
Kyle with trench coat
T-800 Exoskeleton (made as a T-4 Terminator)

T2 Arnold
T2 John
Harley Davidson they can ride
T-1000 as biker cop
T-1000 regular but damaged with bullet holes
Sarah in black
T2 Arnold damaged with one arm

T3 Arnold with weapons cache in coffin
T3 John
T3 Kate
T3 Termamatrix in Air Force uniform (maybe damaged)
T3 Arnold damaged
T3 mini Hunter-Killer (Predator or whatever it started out as)

T4 John
T4 Marcus
T4 T-600 clothed
T4 Kyle Reese
T4 Blair
T4 Marcus Damaged
T4 T-800

= already made (and I'm late having funds to buy it)

This list would run me $900 that I don't already have, and I just bought a 65" TV :rolleyes:

Ando
02-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Ando (anyone else who needs 1): I can pick up the A-10's with Blair Williams (you'll be underwhelmed as they are a little small) at my TRU and mail them to you if you'd like.

This list would run me $900 that I don't already have, and I just bought a 65" TV :rolleyes:

Tycho, thank you very much for the offer, but more than anything, I was disappointed that I never even got to see it so it makes me wonder what other toys I might not be seeing here in Portland. Like any/all of the SW Legacy figures, the WM exclusive Evo packs, etc...

I heard that any TV over 50" were restriced/banned in the state of California due to power consumption?

Or does that refer to anything newly produced after/as of "such and such date"?

Tycho
02-03-2010, 06:15 PM
[FONT=Courier New]Tycho, thank you very much for the offer, but more than anything, I was disappointed that I never even got to see it so it makes me wonder what other toys I might not be seeing here in Portland.

The invisible toys are very hard to find. Many experience difficulty in seeing them. Hasbro and Playmates do not however. They have "the special glasses."

Like everything else, these glasses are not available at retail. :mad:

I heard that any TV over 50" were restriced/banned in the state of California due to power consumption?

Yes. And you can no longer chew gum because recent studies have show you use up more of the states oxygen when trying to breathe, walk, and chew gum at the same time. These laws by Big Brother improve the lives of everyone here in my home state of California. Yes Sir! :yes:

Actually, I haven't heard of any regulations on TVs. The new LED TVs are said to consume way less power than plasmas for sure. LED TVs are LCD TVs too, and the LCD flat pannels always used less power, even when they make them that big.

Or does that refer to anything newly produced after/as of "such and such date?

I don't actually have any information about this. But no - they are going ahead and marketing 55," 65," and at least the projection TVs are even larger.

The picture is less clear though. Actually the LED / LCD TVs have the best picture (Samsung) but even Samsung isn't making them over 55" for LED's yet. I have a Samsung 65" LCD which was the other option besides Plasma. I used to own a 52" Samsung Plasma. I wouldn't go with a plasma again, I think. The liquid plasma board in the TV burns out and costs like $1000 to service. A new plasma costs only about $600 more than that - so why bother repairing.

The sad thing is that my old tube 20" from college (Toshiba) still works perfectly and is in great condition after like more than a dozen years!

I bought it for $320.

Today's TV's cost $1000's and are made to last about 5 - 7 years.

I'm gambling that this LCD will last longer than a plasma which should have the shortest lifespan.

With more stuff complicating it, I worried the LED/LCD wouldn't make it as long either. The LCD TV uses LEDs to backlight it making the picture even brighter and better. They say LEDs don't burn out (Master Replicas lightsabers for example - mine are strong but turned on 99% less than my TV, too) But what if the LEDs do go bad? Well the TV will still work as an LCD but have darker sections or go darker in general - although maybe it will still be just as good as my regular LCD??? Anyway, regular LCDs have been on the market for a long time now. So we'll see how I do there.

There is no burn-in issue like with a plasma (from running video games, etc.) But I did not get burn-in on my old plasma anyway. When the phone rang, I paused my game and actually turned OFF my TV until I was ready to resume playing.

Ando
02-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I have 32" Philips LCD that I bought 3 years ago and it's still working just fine. I won't need to buy a new one unless I want True HD/1080P or a bigger size.

I can vouch for LED's. I sell industrial control components for a living and we sell LED bulbs for pilot devices (switches, indicators, etc.) and they're more expensive than incandescent lamps, but they hardly ever go bad (unless they get hooked up to the wring voltage).

I am a big believer in LED's, so I hope to get a Samsung LED/LCD TV someday soon.

Tycho
02-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the good news Ando.

I hate to be the pessimist, but your 32" might only last about 2 more years :rolleyes:

I hope you do better than me (but then I had plasma before they even improved it to the state it is sold in today - undoubtedly much better than in 2005 when I bought my old TV).

But they are saying that TVs aren't made to last these days.

If you do get the LCD with LED tech, that might be the one that will last!

Maybe by the time you're shopping for one, they'll make them bigger than 52 or 55", too. I know they cost way too much, but hopefully it would be a single purchase you would not have to re-invest in for a long time. So if you can fit a home theater screen - I say go for it!

Though I actually haven't watched anything but the news thus far, I imagine I'll feel like I'm actually inside of the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon when I watch this thing, because the characters are life-size. (I can't wait to see how Summer Glau looks life-size as well - since this IS supposed to be a Terminator thread and I'd love her being my Terminator toy! - Haha. My former nurse I'm dating looks just like her - I lucked out!)

Ando
02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
LCD TV's are *supposed* to last anywhere from 5-10 years depending on usage (I think Plasmas have a life of about half of that).

I am hoping it will last us until we move to a bigger place that can accomodate a much bigger screen. I don't want anything smaller than 42" at this point. The older TV will be moved to my future Star Wars/Toy Room.

Tycho
02-05-2010, 12:39 PM
This is 2010 right?

How come my old 20" tube TV that I got as I finished high school - and used extensively in college, still works just fine? That TV is maybe 15 years old!

True I don't use it now (not really), but I bought that for $320 back in the day and now I spend $ thousands $ on a TV and it may not last even until I can buy a house and move?

Ando
02-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Because we live in a disposable society.

Everyone wants whatever is next, newest, improved, smaller, bigger, etc.

So goods are no longer produced to last, just produced to last long enough until the next iteration. Look at the iPod shuffle. They've had how many versions since they first released it in 2004/2005?

Last year it was 1080P 120Hz refresh rate HDTV's that were all the rage. This year, those are being replaced at retail with the 240Hz refresh rate HDTV's.

It won't stop, it will only just get worse. And exponentially so.

Tycho
02-05-2010, 06:31 PM
It won't stop, it will only just get worse. And exponentially so.

Yes. I noticed my Jeep Grand Cherokee wasn't space-worthy the other day. ;)

I need new rocket-boosters for extra-atmospheric flight.

jedibear
02-13-2010, 12:06 AM
TRU has a 50% off sale going right now for TS toys....check it out.
(No Harvester here though...:( )

Devo
02-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Why praytell is there a thread for the Playmates Terminator line and none for the far superior NECA T2 line??? Thats just bizarre.

Tycho
02-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Why praytell is there a thread for the Playmates Terminator line and none for the far superior NECA T2 line??? Thats just bizarre.

While I buy both lines, the Playmates line is cheaper with more characters and you can army-build them and create dioramas with figures and vehicles - I've tracked down the Harvester and the Moto-Terminators, A-10 Thunderbolt jet, etc.

I wish the line would be continuing. I especially want Kyle Reese.

I am left pondering if I could amass $1,000 and then spend it on Hot Toys Terminator stuff so I could do scenes with those $150-300 figures.

Right now the answer is definitely "no." But it's good to have dreams.

While I buy the NECA line, they are not as poseable as I wish them to be, and they do not sell "b-characters" like (for T2) young John, or Dr. Silverman, nor accessories like the tow truck which you could put the figures into.

How cool would that be for dioramas?

I'd recreate the scene with John on his little motorbike, the T-1000 driving the tow truck, and Arnold on his Harley trying to rescue John in the drainage channel chase through L.A.

(for just one of the scenes I'd recreate).

NECA is a lot of steps above McFarlane's Terminator stuff from the 90's - which I also have, but Playmates offers the most variety. (Still had to buy a Tonka Toys tow truck and some generic Wal-Mart brand helicopter :rolleyes: )

Devo
02-17-2010, 12:29 PM
For my purposes the NECA figures improved the articulation just enough. The McFarlane figures had nothing but cut joints whereas NECA gave the arms, head and wrists balljoints. Thats more than I ever expected and enough for displaying the T-800 and T-1000 in hand-to-hand combat and firing their guns. Not like they were ever seen doing the splits and and roundhouse kicks on eachother. Really loving the NECA line. Can't wait for their T-1000s.

Ando
07-16-2010, 11:19 AM
So over a year after the movie hits theaters and the toys hit retail, I FINALLY saw the A-10 vehicle at Toys R Us. Even at $14.99, that thing is TINY and underwhelming.

JediTricks
07-16-2010, 02:07 PM
It's usually secretly $7.50 at TRU, it's marked $15 but the tags for the line are "50% off" or higher and then they pump up the price so it stays at $7.50. But it is quite dinky, and I have remained a non-owner thus far. I bought the Hunter Killer for $7.50, it's a dud.

Ando
07-16-2010, 03:37 PM
I bought the HK for $10.00 when Target cleared them out last summer/fall at 50% off. It IS a dud, so it will go in the "give to somebody's kid" bin that I've got going.

My 2006 TRU Exclusive AT-AT was apart of that group and is now being enjoyed by a very happy 6 year old as of last night.