PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Collecting Vintage

cookiemonster
10-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Ok I am wondering what peoples thoughts on collecting Vintage is.

1) Whats your thoughts on Vintage vs Modern, or do you collect both
2) If you collect Vintage, whats your thoughts on Loose vs Carded
3) Whats your thoughts on Repro vs Non-Repro
4) Do you bother with the Cardbacks - do you think they are junk like all the other Modern Cardbacks, or do you think the Vintage Cardbacks are cool, or do you collect all the Cardbacks both Modern and Vintage (if so which is the best ones to collect)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-16-2008, 08:46 PM
I think we're due for a re-load of discussions on these topics over the years.

#1: I "collect" modern in the sense that I buy figures I like, leaving more on the shelves than into my shopping cart. I am basically done with the vintage line, except for improving the conditions of some of the figs.

#2: All but 7 (I think) of my vintage are loose. Cheaper, easier to store (and play with! :D ). Don't think I'll ever go the carded route, unless it's a single figure at a great price.

#3: I don't care, unless the seller's saying they're real when they aren't.:whip:

#4: I saved most of my ROJ and POTF cardbacks, some of the ESB, and none of my SW. I prefer the vintage look, especially the picture lists on the backs, to most of the modern ones.

LusiferSam
10-16-2008, 09:26 PM
1. I started off collecting the modern line because I didn't have easy access to a market for vintage toys. That changed once I discovered eBay. For a few years I collected both, but than I realized I didn't enjoy the modern stuff nearly as much. So I just do vintage now.

2. Loose. All of my stuff is loose. What fun is a toy in it's box?

3. I hate repros. I wish people wouldn't buy them, I wish they wouldn't sell them. I've kept the ones I gotten over the years for reference. I don't have as big a problem if somebody tells me straight out that a figures has a repro accessory. The problem is for every one person that is honest there's four or five that aren't.

4. I like the vintage cards. I saved a couple of my childhood ones, including my first figure Yoda. And I've picked up a few more over the years. I'd like to get one of each back type, but that slow going and I rarely if even look for any.

Thunderbird
10-16-2008, 10:48 PM
1. I collect both. I was lucky to have bought most of my vintage items before the modern line started, but I still need a few vintage pieces that I hope to get someday. I have been organizing my collection lately and I just know have started to display my vinatge and modern vehicles together.

2. Most of my vintage is loose. I have a few carded figures that I picked up years ago, but I already had loose ones and they were such a low price I'd have been stupid not to by them. Modern I collect carded and loose on the figures, ships I open but keep the box.

3. I don't see a problem with repro as long as it's not trying to be pass as original. Back when I started collecting again there wasn't repros. The first time I saw them I bough a couple just because I thought is was kind of cool that some one could make their own accessories.

4. I have some card backs, I don't seek them out but will pick them up if they are priced right. I had a shop years ago the had a bunch and pick up some just to have some of the info on the special offers.

Banthaholic
10-16-2008, 11:04 PM
# 4. Vintage cardbacks are the bomb, that's why I'm a vintage carded collector

cookiemonster
10-16-2008, 11:15 PM
1) I collect both Modern and Vintage, however I am more choose with the Modern Collecting (I only buy the best sculpt out and only from the OT, Clone Wars Animated and a few select EU), I try to buy C8 to C9 for my Vintage.

2) I only collect loose for Both Vintage and Modern

3) I would prefer the original however I aint a Vintage Snob, so I dont mind Repro either as long as its a good cast.

4) I havent had the chance to get any True Vintage Cardbacks, however I do own the Faux Vintage Cardbacks from the Modern Line (all of them), hoping for more to be produced in the Modern Line.

DarkArtist
10-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I still have most of my original "vintage" Kenner figures loose and complete - just missing a few POTF and minor characters........

I collect the modern line and want at least 1 of each figure loose and complete to display and play with.

it's getting harder and harder though to stay focused on any one particular line since there are great figures throughout all the lines (ie Vintage Kenner, Modern Hasbro, VOTC, Clone Wars etc)

hoping that once Hasbro stops making the figures i can build a wood display case that will showcase all the figures from all the lines by a movie sequence...ie ROTJ Death Star Display Pilots, Stormies, Dignitaries, maybe Vader, Luke and the Emperor etc.

JediTricks
10-18-2008, 05:01 PM
I am a modern-only collector, I like the realistic sculpts and articulation. Vintage collecting seems closed-ended to me, eventually there is a limit.

I am a staunch believer in loose collecting, but at this point, I can see the benefits of carded vintage collection, the toys inside aren't all that fun anymore as toys, so they have more of a pop-art value.

I am generally against repros, but if there is a specialized item like a replica J-hook firing Boba Fett or a redeco that can't be confused with the original, it's ok. Something like a weapon is also ok for loose collecting if it's hard to get the original, those weapons weren't great work to begin with. But something like Vlix, I know a lot of folks want that very rare figure (despite its massive suck factor) but its rarity is the ONLY thing making it valuable, reproducing that removes the quality making it not really worth ANYTHING.

The vintage cardbacks have charm, but ultimately I wouldn't bother because I am a loose modern collector. The only MOC figures I have on my walls right now are VOTC and the McQuarrie concepts, they are "special" because of their small subseries nature.

vader121
10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
1) I collect both but do prefer the vintage line more. I have trimmed by buying habits quite a bit and only get figures I like and it is mostly the original movie figures in the modern line. Rarely buy modern-line vehicles etc these days. Endless resculpts and releases have ruined it for me for the most part.
2) Loose vs Carded: I have all the vintage figures except an authentic vinyl-cape jawa. I do also collect Carded but only get a few here and there as they are really hard to find and can be quite expensive.
3) Repro vs Non-Repro: I prefer non-repro of course but have no issue with repro as long as it's labeled as repro. Others have said this as well.
4) Cardbacks: I have some cardbacks and I think they are really cool and nostalgic. If I have the figure carded I usually don't bother with the cardback unless I get it in a lot or something or it's priced right. I had just about all my cardbacks as a kid and when I got to be a teenager I threw them away (doh!). It included a few ANH cardbacks along with ESB & ROTJ. I have since gotten about 12 or so of them here and there.

sjd9299
10-21-2008, 10:01 PM
1) I collect both Vintage and Modern. If it is Star Wars I pretty much have to buy it. As an adult with real life bills I have been much more selective than I used to be.

2) I prefer loose first. I started this hobby with my own boyhood toys and they were loose and played with. So I collect loose and played with condition. I want them complete and nice, but not mint. Now I do buy carded when I can find it at a good price, but again not mint. I like it for the card back art. I often buy opened card backs with bubbles and recard them. From far off they look great. When you get up close you can see it was glued back together.

3) My thoughts on Repro vs Non-Repro is NO REPRO! But that is if I know about it. If you are good enough to pass off a fake to me then I wont know the difference. But that is not likely to happen. I have become very good at spoting fakes. I help the local toy dealer with it. It ****es him off most of the time. Not because I outted a fake, but because he shelled out to get it, thinking it was real and he could make some money on it.

4) I have all of orginal cardback from boyhood and keep any I get. I used to save the modern stuff too, but I have realized there is no point.

TheRealDubya
10-21-2008, 10:18 PM

I like both equally; my vintage collection is as complete as I want (except for a Han Solo Carbonite). Vintage has so many great aspects, but the modern stuff is, often, mind-blowingly cool.

They're both great, with loose obviously being the one in my price range. I have ZERO vintage carded pieces, but I have all of the "VOTC" pieces.

Repros are okay for displaying your vintage pieces, but nothing is worse than sellers who don't know or, even worse, intentionally pass them off as genuine accessories. That's a low act. I have a nice collection of them, thanks to such jackholes.

4) Do you bother with the Cardbacks - do you think they are junk like all the other Modern Cardbacks, or do you think the Vintage Cardbacks are cool, or do you collect all the Cardbacks both Modern and Vintage (if so which is the best ones to collect)

I think they're gorgeous, especially the Star Wars and Empire cards -- you can't beat the production values of the Star Wars movies, and these cards showcase all of that artwork, in the costumes, sets and creatures. I thought the TAC cards were the best since the 1985 POTF cardbacks -- they were the most original, artistic and "in-the-Star-Wars-spirit" since the vintage years.

jediguy
10-21-2008, 10:50 PM
after careful consideration and deliberation, without hesitation or reservation

I collect both lines, all action figures and variations, vehicles and playsets in my price range
the majority of my collection is loose, but I do have several carded, some autographed by the person who brought the character to life on the big screen
I would prefer to have an entirely authentic vintage line, but I admit a few repros have crept in over the years
I knew in advance of the repro status, and am happy with the purchase
I hope my original figures have their original accessories, since repro was not mentioned before or during my acquiring them
4) Do you bother with the Cardbacks - do you think they are junk
like all the other Modern Cardbacks, or do you think the Vintage Cardbacks are cool, or do you collect all the Cardbacks both Modern and Vintage (if so which is the best ones to collect)
when I was younger, I had kept all of the original cardbacks
sadly, I no longer have them
then the line started up again, and I have kept each and every card until I ran out of room
now I recycle them, but making sure to keep the UPC in case some surprise promotion pops up
I prefer the vintage style of cardbacks, featuring a movie still or a posed photo of the character
the POTF2 thru Greatest Hits were unappealing, and the TAC artwork was very nice
the new cards are ok

if I had the room, I would keep every cardback

DarthQuack
10-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I have collected both, more towards the way of modern, and a couple summers ago I started getting some Vintage on cards.....I get burnt out, but hopefully I'll get back into it soon.

stillakid
10-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Ok I am wondering what peoples thoughts on collecting Vintage is.

1. I have most of the vintage from when I was a kid, but haven't looked to complete the collection in a while. I'd like to someday, but not right now.

2. Loose. Carded is one way to do it, but I prefer loose.

3. Non repro. Otherwise, what's the point? If the goal is to have that "shaped" action figure to play with, then yeah, who cares if it's thirty years old or one? But if you're out to complete a "collection," then age matters.

4. I still have most of the cardbacks from when I was a kid. I like them. I keep as much of the "stuff" as I can that I find interesting. I had to jettison some of the modern packaging due to space issues and that was hard, but I'd be hard pressed to dump the vintage packaging that I've kept over these many years. It's part of my insanity. :yes: More crap for the kids to clean out when I die.