PDA

View Full Version : My Trilogy DVD Wish

Jek Porky 2002
02-18-2002, 02:27 PM
First of all I know you people probably won't agree with me but here goes.

I think that they should release the origional trilogy on DVD indevidualy, so that it would match The Phantom Menace.
I think that the box set should be abondoned now untill the Saga is complete, we all need to get out of the habit of calling the final three films The Trilogy and start to include The Phantom Menace.

The main reason is that when I put my Star Wars DVD's together on my shelf I want them to match, I don't want the Phantom Menace on its own and then the final three all together in a cmpletely different package.

First they should release Episode IV in a plastic case with the big IV with Star Wars in front of it and A New Hope underneath in smaller letters and a small collage of charactors as the picture, along the side it should have Star Wars A New Hope running downwards and at the bottom a big IV so that whwn I line them up along my shelf thay will each have there Episode number on them.

Onto the actual disc its self, disc 1 should just have the feature film and various viewing options.

Disc 2 should havemost importantly remastered deleted scenes, trailers, a documentry of the making of A New Hope or something along those lines and most of all lots of Easter Eggs!

The options menu for the first disk should be the Rebel Fleet speading away from the Death Star with images of the film being played in the round laser thing on the death star and once you have selected your option it should explode and all the X-Wings fly over the camera.

I can't think of a decent scene for the options menu of disc 2, the only one is the Lars homestead with the diferent options in the doorways and windows.

What are you're thoughts?

Of course it would be pretty much the same style for ESB and ROJ.

SithDroid
02-18-2002, 02:42 PM
Nice idea. I don't mind buying them seperate, but I would like a version of the OT as it was originally and the Special Edition versions. The way it was before all the messing around is the way I grew up loving the film and would like it that way.

Rollo Tomassi
02-18-2002, 03:02 PM
I would like the original version, the Special Edition, and an alternate MST3K track!

And bloopers. Hours and hours of bloopers...

JEDIpartner
02-18-2002, 03:08 PM
With all that brilliant data compression and multiple layering... It shouldn't be a problem to have the "Definitive" edition on the one disc as well as an "Archival" edition. Frankly... I hate Easter Eggs. I think all the material should just be in plain view. You're paying for it, so why not have instant access to it?

I wouldn't mind the DVDs coming out individually. I think that would be a rather acceptible way of getting them out into the market without completely taking all our money at once.

So, no, JekPorky... I don't think it's a lousy idea. I DO agree with you for the most part.

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-18-2002, 04:09 PM
I agree with JP on the easter eggs. What kind of blithering idiot hides stuf from half the consumers who don't have a big round red button with a *1 or +0 or whatever. Just put the whole lot in immediate access if it's going to be put on the disk.

I agree that they should and probably will be released seperately in order to reap the most cash from potential completists. then there will be several archival editions with the biggest being the deluxe box set in presentation package with glossy booklets and extra disk of stuff. Which will net LFL a tidy summ to fund the Howard the duckII sort of venture that Lucas will invariably fall upon with relish after giving so much time to star wars :D

I want to see the original cut before they reshot stuff in the US for ANH. Y'know the original cut of the cantina scenes and the like. Maybe by then we'll have the option to cut our own versions from the disk. Mix and match DVD is what i want to see. :stupid: Now that's a dream...

mabudonicus
02-18-2002, 04:33 PM
"easter eggs" are totally ridiculous. I've been thinking about that ever since mortal kombat 1(the arcade game) came out. I never understood how having to figure out how to do moves(or in the case of a dvd, how to see certain scenes/features) made the game any better in any sense for the player/consumer. It makes even less sense if you actually own the game- the idea that industrio- collusion could run that deep is SCARY.
I mean, making you waste quarters is obvious, but forcing you to simply waste your own time and electricity and joysticks to see the full extent of the product YOU PAID FOR seems really weird.

Beast
02-18-2002, 11:16 PM
Good ideas everyone, I agree with pretty much everything that's been said. As for the easter egg issue, sometimes what's hidden in the easter eggs is done so, due to the fact they don't want some young kids getting their hands on it. Like the beastmaster DVD that includes a deleted nudity scene in the easter egg. Other times, like video games of the past, some studios don't like to give the people that worked on the DVD's credits, so they often hide their own in easter eggs.

Now, on to the topic at hand, the eventual DVD release of the original trilogy of films. Have no fear of the cases not matching the Phantom Menace case JP 2002. You will notice that they included a great big "I" on the spine of the case, as well as styled the artwork on the box from the special edition re-release posters. And even if it's released in a box set, that doesn't mean that the DVD cases inside won't follow the pattern of the E1 disc case.

Lucas' buddy Spielburg who took some heat recently for his decision to re-master and re-do some effects in the upcoming E.T. re-release has stated that the DVD release will include the original cut as well, no doubt on a seperate disc. Hopefully the same will pan out as true for the original trilogy as well. But with the fact we didn't even get the theatrical version with the E1 DVD this is looking less likely.

If they do decide to include the original version as well as special edition in one set, I can only hope that they make them 3-disc sets. Cramming the original version, as well as the special edition onto one disc leaves them open for lots of bad video pixelation and drop-outs. Not to mention the addition of audio commentary, that would be packing the disc way to full.

The best option then would to go with either 2 releases, the original and special editions as 2 disc sets and have them share the same second disc as extras. Or on a better note, go with a three disc set and include the following: Disc 1: Special Edition w/ Audio Commentary. Disc 2: Original Edition. Disc 3: Deleted Scenes, Featurette, Trailers, etc. Do the same for ESB and ROTJ and then you truely have a definative set of the greatest trilogy of all time. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rollo Tomassi
02-19-2002, 08:23 AM
If you have a disc for the S.E. and second for the Theatrical, you'll need another disc for the revised ULTRA Special Edition G. Lu plans on releasing after Episode III comes out. Which would make each one a four disc set.:rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
02-19-2002, 03:57 PM
To keep things sinple... I think there should be the original release along with the FINAL version. Scrap the "Special Edition". As far as the original versions are concerned... I'd like to see ANH as it was originally released... without the moniker ANH at the top of the scroll!

Beast
02-19-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
As far as the original versions are concerned... I'd like to see ANH as it was originally released... without the moniker ANH at the top of the scroll!
Won't happen. It's been "A New Hope" since 1979-1980. Lucas left the chapter title off it originally incase there was no sequel. As soon as the sequels were green lighted the prints all had the chapter title added. No sense in taking away the chapter title, and making it the only film without one. Since when we refer to Star Wars, we should be talking about the entire film series, not the fourth chapter in the saga.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jek Porky 2002
02-19-2002, 04:26 PM
Here, Here!

Wolfwood319
02-19-2002, 06:30 PM
When I think of "Star Wars" in movie terms, I think of the first (Episode 4: ANH for those of you under the age of 18) film. I really just want the original trilogy on DVD, not SE, in widescreen format, 5.1 and DTS sound, and a few extras are good too I guess. Have them with their original covers and titles. I think they could put that together and have them out by summer, but they won't do that.

I'll worry about a 1-6 collection after E3 comes to DVD.

Rollo Tomassi
02-19-2002, 08:30 PM
Howabout a non S.E. movie only bare bones trilogy set?

And then the 2-disc version could have the Ultra Edition and the second disc of goodies.

El Chuxter
02-19-2002, 10:11 PM
It'd be nice if we got all commercially released versions of all the films (for instance, with TPM, that'd be both theatrical versions (the one with the cloud of Maul's blood and the one without), the ever-so-slightly different version from the VHS release, and the 2001 DVD version). I don't see it happening, though.

sith_killer_99
02-21-2002, 10:42 PM
WOW, some of you want us to buy like 3 different sets of Star Wars DVD's. Just a bare bones set of 4-6 Widescreen, what about pan and scan?

Howabout this:

7 Disc set
Disk 1, side 1: Original Theatrical release (Widescreen or Pan and Scan).
Disk 1, side 2: Special Edition release (Widescreen or Pan and Scan).
Disk 2, side 1: Origin...

so on and so.

Disk 7 can have all the B.S. (theatrical trailers, original screen tests, etc.)

I have seen movies made this way and it works fine. You can even have a director's comentary track, 5.1 surround, etc. on each movie.

I just don't want good ol' GL puting out 4 different versions or sets. Then we would have to buy each set, because knowing George he would ad special "Exclusive" features/footage/gimiks just to make us want them more!

Truth be told we should all have the OT on DVD right now! George says it would take too much time away from his current projects. BS The Japanese Laserdisks have already been converted(bootlegged) to DVD and the VCD is sitting on my shelf. All GL would have to do is hire a few guys to make the needed changes/conversion and BAM DVD! Then he could take 5-6 hrs and watch them, give it a thumbs up and we're in business.

Beast
02-21-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
WOW, some of you want us to buy like 3 different sets of Star Wars DVD's. Just a bare bones set of 4-6 Widescreen, what about pan and scan?
Howabout this:
7 Disc set
Disk 1, side 1: Original Theatrical release (Widescreen or Pan and Scan).
Disk 1, side 2: Special Edition release (Widescreen or Pan and Scan).
Disk 2, side 1: Origin...
so on and so.
Disk 7 can have all the B.S. (theatrical trailers, original screen tests, etc.)
Truth be told we should all have the OT on DVD right now! George says it would take too much time away from his current projects. BS The Japanese Laserdisks have already been converted(bootlegged) to DVD and the VCD is sitting on my shelf. All GL would have to do is hire a few guys to make the needed changes/conversion and BAM DVD! Then he could take 5-6 hrs and watch them, give it a thumbs up and we're in business.

Dear God, no pan and scan releases of the Star Wars movies on DVD. Did you know that stating that to DVD technophiles will get you flamed 8 ways from sunday. :D And no double sided discs, those suck. They are useless in multi-disc players cause you still have to flip the disc over, not to mention there is a higher rate of accidental damage with dual sided DVD's. I'll take my nice single sided discs with art on one side. :)

I agree, the original versions of the ANH, ESB, and ROTJ should be out on DVD by now. But Lucas was a late adopter of DVD technoligy, since he like many was a laserdisc fan. So he waited until the market was right and finally decided to start the ball rolling with Phantom Menace. Even though thats not the first movie he has ever made to be released on DVD, it was the first Lucasfilm title.

The bootleg DVD's are inferior quality to the original laserdiscs, and the VCD's are all pan and scam. I would rather wait and allow Lucas the time to do it right. Until then I will enjoy my laserdisc boxsets of both versions. I would rather they were done right, and Lucas has time to make them as well planned out and feature packed as the DVD of TPM. Atleast this year we are finally getting Back to the Future (1,2,3) and E.T, and many many more long waited for titles. Those can hold me over for the properly done Star Wars DVD's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
02-21-2002, 11:52 PM
I thought I heard that Back to the Future was coming out. Do you know when the release is for it JJB? Also, do you know of a good site that has DVD future release information. I have tried Best Buy and Suncoasts' websites, but they only list the stuff that is being released within the next couple of weeks.

Beast
02-22-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
I thought I heard that Back to the Future was coming out. Do you know when the release is for it JJB? Also, do you know of a good site that has DVD future release information. I have tried Best Buy and Suncoasts' websites, but they only list the stuff that is being released within the next couple of weeks.
The Back to the Future DVD's were supposed to be released this summer, but Universal is rumored to gonna hold them back for a winter release here in the US. They will probably still come out in other regions this summer. As for good DVD websites:

DVDangle.com , DVDfile.com , DVDreview.com, Thedigitalbits.com , Hometheaterforum.com , DVDtalk.com , and DVDshrine.com .

I check those daily for information. They are about the best places to watch for the latest news. Of those I think that DVD File and The Digital Bits are two of the best. If you wanna talk and read news from other DVD fans, Home Theater Forum and DVD Talk are the two best sites with forums.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
02-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Thanks. I'll have to take a look at them.

Fixer
02-26-2002, 10:31 AM
Hmmm, my DVD dream set....
For all films:

Original Theatrical Versions
Final Super-Special Editions circa 2006 (Don't particularly want them, but you know he'll consider them the definitive versions).
All trailers
Any "Making Of" films (SPFX: The Empire Strikes Back, From Star Wars to Jedi etc.)
All cutscenes (Biggs, Wampa, Sandstorm, etc.)
Alternate cuts (original cantina, etc.)
Screen tests
Animatics
Director's commentary
All storyboards
Publicity/Behind the scenes stills gallery
Any and all other Lucasfilm archive information that can possibly be fit onto the disc.

DVD-ROM features:
1. All script versions in PDF.
2. Reproduction of the mythical three-ring binder(s) that he's written all this stuff in since '73.

That's not asking for much is it?

Pendo
02-26-2002, 12:27 PM
I haven't really thought about my Trilogy DVD Wish. Here's what I can think of off the top of my head:

Classic and Special Eddition versions.
Audio Commentary for each film and version.
DTS, Dolby Surround and other sound capabilities.
Holiday Special with Audio Commentary (Hey I only want it for the commentary).
"Makings of" for each film.
All trailers from the 1977 ones all the way up to the 1997 ones.
Deleted scenes for each film.
Photo galleries for each film (Production photos, poster galleries, movie stills, etc.).
Lots of easter eggs CAUSE SOME OF US LIKE THEM :)!!!
An information booklet.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

PENDO!

mark2d2
03-08-2002, 02:16 AM
With my VCR broken, and this ridiculous RUNNING bet with my best friend that I'll never own another one --- I finally broke down and bought the VCD version of the OT off ebay. (It really wasn't that expensive...) I don't care that it's pan and scan! I don't care that each film is on two disks! I just need my OT fix and I need it NOW!!! And this will tie me over till the DVD release in . . . God knows when. Besides, I can't even remember the last time I watched the films in pan and scan. :) It'll be a new experience to be sure.

Rollo Tomassi
03-08-2002, 08:43 AM
The whole "Back to the Future released in the Summer, and then in the winter" thing was a communications snafu. An Australian website confirmed the BTTF DVDs would be coming out in the summer...in Australia. Summer in Australia is winter up here. So it's been planned for a holiday release the entire time, but readers in the U.S. are hemispere-centric and assumed that Australians were unfairly getting the BTTF DVDs ahead of us. Not the case. Expect BTTF around November, just in time for the Australian summer season.;)

Darkross
03-20-2002, 10:47 AM
Here's what I'd like to see for the DVD release:

Episodes I - VI: 12 disc set with match cases etc...

1. Disc 1 of each movie would have two versions of the movie.
- 1 widescreen (theatrical release)
- 2 widescreen with deleted scenes added (Option to pick which scenes you want to see and those you don't to see as part of the movie) - This would include the Special Edition scenes that have changed - i.e. Jabba's Palace song....stupid wish it were never there.

With option 2...you could see all of the deleted scenes in ROTJ added seamlessly into the movie.

2. Disc 2 of each movie would have an entire 2 hour documentary on the making of each film / special effects etc. Not to mention 6 - 8 hours of behind the scenes, on the set, cast interviews, director's comments etc...

3. The DVD disc set would be accompanied by a full color 300 page hard cover book that would include pictures, production art and more interviews etc...

4. Another hard cover book with the final script for each of the six movies.

5. Film strips from each movie

6. Certificate of authenticity

7. All of this bound together in a nice hard cover case with the Imperial and Alliance Seals on either side of the case.

8. And sell for under $200.00.

Darkross
03-20-2002, 10:50 AM
Oh yeah...it would be nice to have a complete GL approved guide to the Star Wars universe that would explain everything, anyone ever had a question about in any of the Star Wars movies...covering backgrounds of all characters, major, minor, extras, ships, planets, weapons, technology etc.

Then and only then would my wish be complete!

Rollo Tomassi
03-20-2002, 12:31 PM
originally by Ross of Darkness
2. Disc 2 of each movie would have an entire 2 hour documentary on the making of each film / special effects etc. Not to mention 6 - 8 hours of behind the scenes, on the set, cast interviews, director's comments etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's 8-10 hours on one disc. They don't hold that much info. Even if you get creative with the bit compression and whatnot, you get between 3 1/2 and 4 hours on a disc. If you want higher quality sound and video, it's even less.

Darkross
03-20-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's 8-10 hours on one disc. They don't hold that much info. Even if you get creative with the bit compression and whatnot, you get between 3 1/2 and 4 hours on a disc. If you want higher quality sound and video, it's even less.

Well...I guess I got a bit carried away! I was just emphasizing what I would like to see in the DVD collection.