PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Basestar Canceled

JediTricks
10-17-2008, 05:26 PM
http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=1916

ActionFigs.com: While we were very pleased to see many new tools for Titanium Series at your Comic-Con display, fans of the line have had a bumpy ride lately. Hasbro didn't bring any new Titaniums to Toy Fair last February, '08 wave 4 was summarily canceled and supposedly redistributed into other waves - though we've not seen any sign of this is case listings so far - and until July many of the line's collectors had only the words in a few Q&As to assure them of the line's progress and were left wondering whether there was a future for it at all (we were thrilled that Comic-Con reconfirmed the Hasbro Star Wars team's commitment to this line). With that in mind, could you give us a preview of any new Titaniums being developed for the future, and what's scheduled for the first half of '09? We'd really appreciate it, it'd help sustain the line's momentum and build a collecting base. And will the Titanium Cylon Basestar you previously confirmed for the last wave of 2008 actually get released since retailer preorders are up to January '09's wave 6 with no sign of it yet the BSG license expires at the end of the year?
Hasbro: Our line presentations tend to focus on the biggest sublines, so if we don't show something, it doesn't mean it isn't in our focus... just that we don't have the time in limited formats to present. That is the case with Titanium - it is a smaller line with a passionate fan base, so we are happy to communicate our "vision" for the line. It's our intent to keep this line going with as many new tools and meaningful repaints as we can to keep fans excited. In the first half of 2009 there will be 8 Newly tooled ships as well as 6 re-decos to keep your eyes out for. The new ships will be a combination of the new Clone Wars Animated ships as well as Classic Star Wars vehicles. The re-decos will help continue our fleet building efforts with new Y wings, new X wings and new Jedi Starfighters. Regarding Wave 4, it was a victim of the late switch to the new line look, and it ultimately did not ship. As the Battlestar license is up at the end of the year, this vehicle will not end up shipping. The Star Wars vehicles in the wave will be worked back into future waves and will come out in time.
Ouch. This won't go over well, nosiree. What were they thinking? They had to have produced the dang things already, at least in some amount. They're gonna eat 'em because they couldn't shoehorn them into wave 5 or 6? That's nuts.

figrin bran
10-17-2008, 09:30 PM
nooooooo! frakkin' no no noooooooo! :(

Darth Duranium
10-18-2008, 04:33 AM
The thing that really fracks me off is that they confirmed it twice in Q&A's recently. What a steamin' pantload!

Hasbro should have stuck to their original story (not going to make it) instead of winding us up like that and then not delivering. No way to treat collectors.

Considering that noone saw any basestars crawl out of the HK backdoor, I think that they were never put into production. Add in 50%+ of China's toy industry going outta business this year, I guess the basestar never had a chance...

Why did it have to be that wave?

Frack.

Could they be a little less specific about the 2009 waves? Thanks again, Hasbro.

They wouldn't reveal much to RS, either.

Rebelscum: will Titanium fans see these five ships/vehicles in 2009?
Sith Fighter
Naboo Yacht
SPHA-T
Republic Gunboat
Asajj Ventress' Fanblade starfighter

I and many others would love to see all these! By the way, thank you so much for all the new molds in 2008...Great job Hasbro! I would also like to know the Republic Carrier you mention for 2009, is that the CR-20 Republic carrier from the first Clone Wars animations or is it the NU-Class Attack Shuttle from the Clone Wars movie. (Heck, why not both?)

Hasbro: We were referring to the Attack Shuttle from the new Animated Clone Wars. None of the vehicles you ask about are in the 2009 line plan, but we are looking at some of these as potential new vehicles for 2010. There are a bunch of new vehicles we'd like to do, and as usual, only so many slots for "new" that we will actually be able to do. In any case, we think what we have coming down the road will be very exciting. Stay tuned!

Would have loved a Fanblade, Sith Fighter, and especially a Yacht. I'm moderately interested in the Attack Shuttle...

clone157
10-18-2008, 10:03 AM
No Heavy Raider, no Basestar. Why even spend the money on the license? Hasbro should have bought out the master license and done both 3 3/4 inch figs and titaniums. I would have bought those as opposed to the Indiana Jones line. Plus, their pilots would be pretty cool next to our new Evolutions Star Wars pilots. I would kill for a 3 3/4" scale viper.

mtriv73
10-18-2008, 11:41 AM
With all the money they've wasted on marvel, transformer, and Indiana Jones titaniums tooling (subsidized by all the stupid repaints we've had to put up with in the Star Wars and Galactica lines) I can't believe they're doing this. They couldn't fit one of the most desperately needed ships in the line (what are our battlestars supposed to fight?) into any of the 3 freaking (mostly) repaint waves that are out now? Bump one of the stupid pegwarming ROTS ships that were just released earlier this year for crying out loud. Have you seen an ATOT in the clone wars cartoon yet? I haven't. And from the number on the pegs at TRU, neither have the kids. How many stupid republic gunships (with a really dated sculpt) do we need on the shelves at one time? A green Y-wing, wow that brings back memories of...nothing.

As fast as battlestars, raiders, and most of the vipers (until the 3rd repaint) flew off the shelves I can't believe they didn't put it into production.

I truly hope that whoever is in charge of their titanium lines gets fired for all the failures of the last few years and the job is handed over to someone else who can manage it better.

Blue2th
10-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Well this is a total bummer!
I'm thankful for what I have that Hasbro has made in the BSG line, but like was said, these things flew off the shelves/pegs. The possibility of a big money maker is there.
Maybe Konami will make a few of these BSGs next year. There certainly is a demand.

Nightside
10-19-2008, 09:10 AM
There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but WHAT THE FRAK?!

Darth Duranium
10-24-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm still unhappy about this.

Frak.

Wish there's something we could do that wouldn't end up being completely fruitless and thus a waste of time and effort for everybody.

Nightside
10-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Doesn't Hasbro realize they could doll the thing up in fancy "limited edition" packaging, or team it with a couple of repaints and sell it for $30 and people would still eat it up (at least I would). I want my Basestar! I'd still buy one (and maybe even two) if they were "super limited edition" and selling for $50. Come on Hasbro, take advantage of stupid collectors like me!

Darth Duranium
10-25-2008, 10:56 AM
I agree with you, Nightside. They've really been incredibly stupid about this line and allowed their BSG licence to go to waste.

From what many have seen at retail, the BSG ships have sold better than any other Titanium line (yes, SW included). Hasbro's reaction over the past while: retreads, repaints, and very few new tools.

With the licence gone, it's highly doubtful we'll even see a plastic bag special (like the gold X-Wing) at Toyfare or SDCC.

I'd have loved an Ultra basestar, too.

But what really fracks me off is Hasbro's BS Q&A answers... I mean, don't they bother to actually research their answers before they reply?

Darth Duranium
12-06-2008, 05:54 PM
From RS:

Rebelscum: I, and many other Titanium collectors, are very disappointed to hear that after months of promising fans to make a BSG Cylon Basestar, all of a sudden, this dream has been shattered with the news that this fantastic looking starship - an integral vehicle within the lore of modern BSG - will now only exist as an unproduced toy, never to see the light of day...

Considering its production was pushed back further and further until the reason for it's demise is down to Hasbro license to produce Battlestar Galactica Titaniums ending at the end of 2008 - Why did this occur, and do you see it as good business strategy to advertise products months before their release, and then cancel them at the eleventh hour?

What gives?

A Very Disappointed Titanium Collector...

Hasbro: Unfortunately, this happens often with toy lines. Development schedules or demand changes constantly, and we adapt to the schedules as best we can. On a brand like Star Wars, because of the high demand, usually (but not always) shelved toys find their way to general release. Our Spring 2008 release quantities were lowered due to decreased Titanium demand, and we basically were put into the position where we skipped over an entire wave. It was too late at that point to slot them into the lineup for 2009. As the Battlestar contract was ending, this mean that there was no way to get it out. The Star Wars vehicles are a different matter as we are able to get them into the lineup in subsequent Titanium waves.

This was the question I couldn't bear to ask, knowing the steaming pantload of a reply that we'd get from Hasbro and the fact that it was pointless. I gotta say that I wouldn't have been quite so dramatic ("shattered dreams", etc.), but I do appreciate the fracked off sentiment of the questioner.

The writing on the wall? "Our Spring 2008 release quantities were lowered due to decreased Titanium demand, and we basically were put into the position where we skipped over an entire wave."

This does not bode well for the Titanium Series if demand is collapsing and waves are just axed like that... not that we're too surprised considering the events of this year. I thought we might be dead in the water last March but I'd held out hope.

I think that the ridiculous number of repaint/retreads have lain waste to fan enthusiasm about the line... and I don't wanna hear any arguments about the "necessity" of producing so many repaints! It's gotten so bad lately that we're getting 2 repaints of the same ship in the same frickin' wave! Hasbro have killed the line themselves... very few completists are still hangin' in there anymore.

I smell rigor mortis setting in... where's Darth Plagueis when you need him?

Blue2th
12-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah, "decreased Titanium demand" ...for repaints that is. :rolleyes:

mtriv73
12-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Yeah, "decreased Titanium demand" ...for repaints that is. :rolleyes:

Amen to that.

Any new sculpts are flying off the shelves. Which ones are sitting around? All the stupid repaints of the same ships that came out in the previous few waves. Of course Hasbro still thinks Mutt was a great seller in the IJ line. They're either delusional or crazy.

kirby3531
12-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I just wonder where their marketing idiots got their degrees. I haven't seen ANY "decreased Titanium demand" for a single BSG ship. The only way there is any "decreased Titanium demand" is if you count the Indiana Blah line in the aggregate of all Titanium lines. However, if anyone had a clue, they'd be looking at demand for each individual Titanium line separately. Despite everyone being tired of repaints, we're still buying them. I know I have multiples of several of the repaints, some for collecting, the rest for kids to play with.

Demand for BSG Titaniums almost always outstrips production (not counting the occasional overproduced lousy repaint). This rarely seems to be true for SW Titaniums, as the shelves frequently seem to be full of them, collecting dust. As for the Indiana Blah line, the diorama style and poorer quality of them didn't fit the Titanium 3" style (IMHO). I don't think I EVER saw any of them being viewed at any of the stores I frequent, let alone one being sold.

*aaargh* After seeing this thread and thinking about it, I'm beginning to wonder if JT is right about the last viper repaint never making it out of the gate.

JediTricks
12-08-2008, 08:46 PM
The IJ line probably what decreased the interest in Titanium overall. Retailers got gun-shy after ordering too much IJ stuff and decreased orders right before the line changed SKUs, then retailers had already bought existing case assts and Hasbro didn't want to make them mad. They got too locked in. I'll be giving them crap about this in person next time I see them.

Darth Duranium
12-12-2008, 09:02 PM
The IJ line (is) probably what decreased the interest in Titanium overall. Retailers got gun-shy after ordering too much IJ stuff and decreased orders right before the line changed SKUs, then retailers had already bought existing case assts and Hasbro didn't want to make them mad. They got too locked in. I'll be giving them crap about this in person next time I see them.

Good point, JT... probably explains the name and SKU changeover to "Legacy Titanium Series" in the first place... the retailers still have a lot of peg-warming Marvel, TF, and IJ "Titanium Series" and are doubtlessly p.o.'ed about it.

I guess that Hasbro's trying to distance itself from the TS failures and rescue the SW line from the morass. A mediocre-at-best IJ flick did not help matters much either.

It'd truly suck if IJ sunk the SW line. IJ probably helped to sink the BSG line, but I do wonder if this ending licence is due to lack of interest in BSG stuff from the retailers in the first place. I never saw the Ultra BSG at retail up here at all... had to snarf one from eBay.

Not many of us seem to have bought very many ships or figs from the other TS lines... mine totalled 3 (TF orange ship, IJ Biplane, IJ Missing-Swastika Flying Wing). I was underwhelmed by all of 'em.

JediTricks
12-12-2008, 11:01 PM
No, the change to Legacy was simply the annual "fool the retailers and new customers into thinking it's a new line so they'll order again" trick they've been pulling on the basic figure line for the past 6 years now (a tactic that does seem to work on retailers, I might add), everything else in Hasbro's SW arsenal was switching to Legacy, no way they'd leave out Titanium.

Hasbro is definitely trying to keep the line alive, they switched management due to the glut of repaints under the previous brand management (repaints are part of Hasbro's business model, they're not going away, but scheduling and quality are different now).

bsgnrl
12-25-2008, 11:42 AM
"Hasbro: We were referring to the Attack Shuttle from the new Animated Clone Wars. None of the vehicles you ask about are in the 2009 line plan, but we are looking at some of these as potential new vehicles for 2010. There are a bunch of new vehicles we'd like to do, and as usual, only so many slots for "new" that we will actually be able to do. In any case, we think what we have coming down the road will be very exciting. Stay tuned!"

Let me get this strait. They have a specifice number of slots for "new" and a specific number of repaints in each wave on purpose??? Why would you not say, "Here are the new ships we can produce for this wave, but we still have this many slots left in the wave, let's come up with a repaint. Even if they were occasionally to choose to prioritize a repaint for a specific demand, IE an Anikan starfighter and Obi Won repaint or the cylon raider and then the "scar" repaint, they would keep the demand much higher. They have the basestar which they had to produce on some limited order and they can't push off a repaint to a later wave to satisfy a consumer demand for a highly anticipated model?

Beast
12-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Because doing repaints and retools allows them to keep the price stable, when material and production costs are rising. Since they don't have to put extra money into design or tooling for repaints and such, it helps balance the costs of the wave so they don't have to increase costs at retail. Same reason they do that in every other line.

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 05:04 PM
"Hasbro: We were referring to the Attack Shuttle from the new Animated Clone Wars. None of the vehicles you ask about are in the 2009 line plan, but we are looking at some of these as potential new vehicles for 2010. There are a bunch of new vehicles we'd like to do, and as usual, only so many slots for "new" that we will actually be able to do. In any case, we think what we have coming down the road will be very exciting. Stay tuned!"

Let me get this strait. They have a specifice number of slots for "new" and a specific number of repaints in each wave on purpose??? Why would you not say, "Here are the new ships we can produce for this wave, but we still have this many slots left in the wave, let's come up with a repaint. Even if they were occasionally to choose to prioritize a repaint for a specific demand, IE an Anikan starfighter and Obi Won repaint or the cylon raider and then the "scar" repaint, they would keep the demand much higher. They have the basestar which they had to produce on some limited order and they can't push off a repaint to a later wave to satisfy a consumer demand for a highly anticipated model?Hasbro's business model is about exploiting repaints, it has been since the first GI Joe, Mister Potato Head, and Transformers. Those repaint revenues are factored into the original tooling budgets, which allows them to spend more on the tooling in the beginning.

The non-new slots aren't all repaints though. Hasbro can only manufacture so much product at a time, so the initial case may not satisfy the market, and that product will need to be carried over into later waves. You'll see a ship that came in wave 3 return in wave 5 and 6 for this reason, Hasbro wants to make sure collectors (especially kid collectors, who make up a large portion of the buying base) have access to the toy, and that may take up to half a year to get it all out there.

Of course, all that does create the flaws we run into now, killing the Basestar completely and sending some new Star Wars models to the wind for a while, but overall the line has held up better with this than previous shipping plans.

clone157
12-28-2008, 10:15 PM
You know, I too picked up the orange "Ark" ship from the transformers line, but everything else in the line was horrible. And in the Marvel line. What is the point of action figs that cannot perform actions? Marvel action figures by Toy Biz were highly regarded as the most articulated of all time, but Hasbro goes and makes statues of those same figures. By the way did anyone see the Mon Cal Cruiser? I never even saw it at retail and I'm known to hit at least 3 different Targets and 4 Wal-Marts at least twice a week. Hasbro should realize that titaniums tend to skew to a older audience. As such, freighters tend to disappear quickly as we know that this is the only way we will see these larger ships. Thus I hope that we will see more than just these endlessly repainted starfighters. For those about to mention the Invisible Hand, I will remind you that it was a named ship, a character in itself. Give me a random Intergalactic Banking Clan Frigate, and I (and others) will buy four (I only bought 3 Hands). These are the types of ships that should have been in the 6 inch deluxe format. Republic cruisers versus the Galactica. Sorry, had to clean up the drool on my Keyboard. BTW, does anyone know if Johnny Lightening or anyone else will be picking up the BSG license? I loved what they did with Star Trek. I just wish I could find a store where they carry, or at least have them, in stock.

Darth Duranium
12-29-2008, 07:32 PM
You know, I too picked up the orange "Ark" ship from the transformers line, but everything else in the line was horrible...

I thought the TF Ark ship was ok but that stand was horrendous... it just balances precariously on the stem, and the base doesn't even attach to it.

They didn't even bother with stands for the Indy line... just those stupid platforms. Lame-O. The Marvel TS figs were beneath contempt, IMO... puny, rigid, and abysmally done.

As for the Johnny Lightning ST line, I haven't seen 'em at retail stores at all since wave 4... had to grab the last 2 waves on eBay, though they were pretty damn cheap ($4/each).

I don't know if anybody's gonna pick up the BSG licence... hard to say, considering that the show's ending (except for the already shot BSG "movie" and Caprica).

I'm not sure if the "new" BSG is even shown in Japan, but I'd think it more likely that Konami, Furuta, F-Toys, Tomy, or Romando might get around to producing gashapon/candy toy versions of the new series ships someday. Here's hoping!

I scored the Diamond Select "Starbuck" Viper Mark VII as a Christmas gift from a great friend of mine... I just love it! I'll take a pic of it with my 3 Joyride Mk I Vipers, if anyone's interested.

Y'know, we understand Hasbro's business model (maximize profits, minimize costs) but almost all agree that the TS repaints have been uber-excessive. Their prices have increased; their efforts have not.

The supposed change in the management of the line has not resulted in any positive changes at all... we're still getting the exact same crap. I hope things change... but as Bad Santa says, "Wish in one hand, sh*t in the other one - see which one fills up first.":)

BTW, Merry Chrismahanukwanzakah and Happy New Year to everyone!!!! Hope you all have a great year!

JediTricks
12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
I bought the Ark, it sucks. The plastic front of the ship is the only part that's actually the Ark, and the sculpting is pretty simplistic.

I did see the Mon Cal cruiser a couple times at Target, I bought it but haven't thought much of it since, it's just kinda "there" and disappeared quick from shelves.

I don't care for how Johnny Lightning has dealt with Trek, plastic ships with weak to fair sculpting and dodgy paint? For the same price I can get metal ships with fair to good paint from SW, and I can actually FIND those! JL Trek has been a disappointment every step of the way for me, I'm glad the vehicles are getting released but not much in the way of handling has been great.

DT, I'm sorry you don't think the management change has been a positive one, but I think you're being pretty unfair. The number of new tools has steadily increased since Hasbro SW took over for that team that was handling the other lines. And more importantly, the line survived being canceled, it was pretty much heading for total failure and got rescued.

Darth Duranium
12-29-2008, 08:00 PM
DT, I'm sorry you don't think the management change has been a positive one, but I think you're being pretty unfair. The number of new tools has steadily increased since Hasbro SW took over for that team that was handling the other lines. And more importantly, the line survived being canceled, it was pretty much heading for total failure and got rescued.

But JT, there hasn't been an increase in the number of new tools... it's been almost exactly the same number of new tools per year since the beginning. I added them up recently... same old, same old.

The repaint/retread situation is actually worse this year... and now they're shipping 2 repaints of the same tool in the same wave!

Specifically, since the mgmt. change, how are things better now?

I think I've been quite fair. I think Hasbro's blowing smoke up your afterburners, JT.

JediTricks
12-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Management of the brand kicked over towards the middle of '07, we're seeing those management decisions kicking in slowly, it's not like the day H-SW took it over everything just shifted. But the number of waves without new molds has dropped, and the number of new vehicles increased despite 2 significant breaks in the line.

cloneemperor
01-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Spam post? How does this apply to MM/AF?

plasticfetish
01-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Brass air fittings? I've got your brass air fittings right here!

(Yes... spam post, and now it's gone.)

clone157
01-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Anybody else hear about hot wheels getting the license for Star Trek ships?
Maybe we should start sending e-mails to them about picking up the license. I dont need to give my money only to Hasbro, just those companiesthat produce the products I want.

Blue2th
01-25-2009, 03:46 AM
Please no, not Hot Wheels. Hasbro's got nothing on HW repaints.
That's all we need is Star Trek swarming the Isle like cheapo HW or Speed Racer.
Their cars lack the detail of Johnny Lightning's.
I'm inclined to think the Star Trek ships would not be as good.

RJarvis
01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
If entertainmentearth is to be believed, here's a link confirming your worst fears...

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MTP6921A

"highly detailed" they claim...we'll see...

Ross W. Jarvis

JediTricks
01-26-2009, 02:58 AM
Ugh, so what are these gonna be, their regular cars with Trek characters' names painted on them? Their Batman line has enjoyed horrible release during a Batman movie year, which is stunning, so distribution bodes poorly. And while they did a fair job, their sculpts did come out a little soft and paint too thick. Es no el bueno.

Darth Windu
01-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Meh, I'll reserve judgement until I see the products myself.

What really gets under my skin though is that we keep getting new producers of Star Trek ships (Johnny Lighting, Furuta, Galoob, F-toys, Romando, Bandai, Hot Wheels, Corgi etc) and since the producers keep changing, WE GET THE SAME BLOODY SHIPS OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER (multiply by about 50).

Galoob of course set the tone with their Mico Machines and at least some of those who re-do the ships, such as F-toys, do so with absolutely gorgeous pieces (their Defiant has the same details as the AMT model). Furuta pushed the boundaries with their Prometheus, Equinox, and Species 8472 Bio-ship but then let us down in their last series.

Now we're going to get about the 59,693th rendition of the original Enterprise, Klingon Bird-of-prey, Reliant, and Enterprise-D!

What I don't understand is how these so-called marketing 'experts' fail so badly. Lets have a look at eBay for the prices of Defiant variants shall we?
(all prices in USD and not including shipping)

F-toys: $10-32
Furuta: $22-77
Micro Machines: $26-30

Now let's look at prices for the original Enterprise
F-toys: $0.99-25
Furuta: $1.50-13
Micro Machines: $7

I rest my case.

Darth Duranium
01-26-2009, 01:39 PM
WE GET THE SAME BLOODY SHIPS OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER

It's obvious as to why toy producers always go with the "iconic" ST ships (er, cash) but I'm also bored with the same ship assortment... ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Indeed, Furuta was the only one to really go for it and produce anything "different" in this scale. Even Furuta's last (A&B) set had "new" ships not seen elsewhere... IMO, you're being too harsh, DW. Furuta rocks!

The pricing for gashapon/candy toy ships strictly relates to their rarity... some are still pretty cheap but will eventually rise as supply dries up. The same's true for MM, AF, and TS. The "chase" or "secret" ships are usually pricey unless you grab one early... that's a bit of a scam, really.

Who knows? Maybe Hot Wheels will eventually get around to producing something unique... maybe a new Enterprise from the next film.... or should we expect a Chevy minivan with Spock's face on it?

LTBasker
01-26-2009, 02:07 PM
I have no doubt that these will be ships, but exactly how well they turn out... That's definitely the iffy part. Either these will be larger than the Batmobiles, or the price reflects the extra detail as EE wants $55 for a case of 8 Batmobiles as opposed to $55 for a case of 4 Trek ships.

JediTricks
01-26-2009, 04:34 PM
The problem seems to be that they have no faith that the buyers will come back for wave 2 and 3 and 4 and 5, so they want to get all the heavy hitters out first to ensure the most buyers right out of the gate. The backlash to this is that by trying to get the mainstream audience first, they lose their core audience faster and doom the later waves anyway.

Blue2th
01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah, no one wants to take the risk of putting out an obscure ship, but you think that at least they would have the cohonies to try an Enterprise B.

Furuta's rock because of the diversity, and halfway decent ships except a few, luckily the ones that JL put out.

I don't know though, the "A" or the "Refit" is still my favorite, so lets see if Hot Wheels can do that decent. Maybe they will do a "collectors" special run from their RLC club.

Every time HW is mentioned, why then do I especially think of scalpers?

Darth Windu
01-26-2009, 08:04 PM
It's obvious as to why toy producers always go with the "iconic" ST ships (er, cash) but I'm also bored with the same ship assortment... ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Indeed, Furuta was the only one to really go for it and produce anything "different" in this scale. Even Furuta's last (A&B) set had "new" ships not seen elsewhere... IMO, you're being too harsh, DW. Furuta rocks!
Well that's my point - I also understand why they do it, but it's really daft from a marketing point of view, at least take a punt with the lesser produced iconic ships like the Defiant, Voyager etc.

As for the Furuta's I love them, except most in the last wave. The Borg cube and sphere are pretty good, I really only bought that wave for the Phoenix which I like, but the Runabout is an absolute stunner. On the other hand it absolutely baffles me as to why they made the rest of the ships like the Excelsior and Enterprise Refit so small, especially when for the Enterprise Refit they could have re-used the Enterprise-A mold!

Darth Duranium
01-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Defiant & Voyager, DW? Sadly, sounds like Corgi wave 2... and Konami wave 2, and F-Toys wave 2... well, maybe some will come out.

I'll give you that, DW: the last Furuta set was subpar for Furuta... there was serious shrinkage and the Bust 'O Spock sucked mightily. Still, overall, a great line.

It'd be awesome if HW did a "Titanium"-style Trek line with lots of tools... assuming they're not utter crap.... seems hard to see, somehow.

Didn't know HW collecting was so rife with scumbag scalpers, Blue... that's not good news.

These HW "ships" are all "1/50 scale"?

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 Refit
Klingon Bird of Prey
U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D
U.S.S. Reliant NCC-1864

Hey, I know... they're MONSTER TRUCKS!

I can see it now: Khan da Krusher in his Raunchin' Reliant! Jean-Luc Kickass in the D-Molisher!

Fun for the whole family...

plasticfetish
01-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Hey! I kind of liked that Spock bust. :cry:

Didn't know HW collecting was so rife with scumbag scalpersMy favorite quote of the week.

They're not all "scumbags" I suppose. Some are weird-ohs, and others are just jerks. ;)

I think you guys are kind of overreacting about the Hotwheels thing. I've enjoyed the few Batman vehicles that they've put out lately (the Batcycle rocked), and think it'll be great to see them take a crack at Star Trek.

I'd probably buy a classic Enterprise if Kraft cheese put one out though, so...

Darth Windu
01-27-2009, 06:10 AM
Defiant & Voyager, DW? Sadly, sounds like Corgi wave 2... and Konami wave 2, and F-Toys wave 2... well, maybe some will come out.
I know - how awesome would a Corgi Defiant and Voyager have been??

Mind you F-toys has in fact made the Defiant, and she is stunning. She's small, only a little larger than the old Micro Machines defiant, making her smaller than the Furuta version, BUT she's absolutely packed with detail and superb paintwork, which I would rate as good as the huge AMT/Ertl plastic model kit.

RJarvis
01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
I'd probably buy a classic Enterprise if Kraft cheese put one out though, so...

ok...now THIS is MY favorite quote of the week...lol

and sadly, i'd have to concur...

mmmm...tasty trek...

Ross

Darth Duranium
01-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I know - how awesome would a Corgi Defiant and Voyager have been??

Mind you F-toys has in fact made the Defiant, and she is stunning. She's small, only a little larger than the old Micro Machines defiant, making her smaller than the Furuta version, BUT she's absolutely packed with detail and superb paintwork, which I would rate as good as the huge AMT/Ertl plastic model kit.

I really liked the paint on the Corgi Enterprise D, DW... that's the only Corgi I bought... it's soooooo crap that they never released the Defiant and Voyager. Makes me homicidal! Grrrrr.... slice, slice.

Their decision to release pewter/silver ships really sunk that line, IMO. Wow, a light up base. Whoop-de-frickin'-doo.

I'm waiting for my set of Trek F-Toys to arrive from Japan... looking forward to it! The Defiant's my main reason for getting it... I'm sure I'm not alone.

I'm also awaiting the Konami set... can't wait! I wonder if the primary hull on the Enterprise E separates from engineering section like the Romando ones? I like that feature...

Darth Windu
01-27-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm waiting for my set of Trek F-Toys to arrive from Japan... looking forward to it! The Defiant's my main reason for getting it... I'm sure I'm not alone.

I'm also awaiting the Konami set... can't wait! I wonder if the primary hull on the Enterprise E separates from engineering section like the Romando ones? I like that feature...
Not sure about any of the other F-toys ships, though the Ent-D looks superb, but yeah I was initially disappointed that the Defiant is so small, but got over it quickly. :)

As for the Konami Ent-E, no she doesn't. It's good, but not great. Don't get me wrong the paintwork is pretty good, detailing is very good, and it's the only small Ent-E I've bought that actually has it's phasers painted on. On the other hand it's made of very soft plastic...very, very soft plastic...so it can warp, especially around the nacelles.

I'm pretty happy with that piece too overall though :)

Nightside
01-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I really liked the paint on the Corgi Enterprise D

I like the Corgi Ent-D, too. I was disappointed by the fact that shuttlebays 2 and 3 are the same size though. Even much smaller models managed to get that detail right.

clone157
01-29-2009, 01:28 AM
Personally, I agree that the last Furuta wave kinda sucked, but for the most part, they are pretty cool. I wish that they would do some of the other ships especially from the video games like Armada. I would love to see a Steamrunner, or an Akira class.

Blue2th
01-29-2009, 11:41 AM
I've got that Corgi Enterprise D and the original 1701 and the Bird of Prey.
I find the green-grey color odd on the D, but otherwise I like it.

I'm happy to have all the Furuta ST ships. Even the little Excelsior and Refit though dissapointing because of the size, they still look good next to some ST Micromachines.

BTW: My order for the BSG Viper MKII got cancelled. Just got the e-mail this morning from Forbidden Planet.
That's ok, I found two at Walmart the other day and snagged them right away.
I wonder if people might be leaving them because they are thinking it's a reissue of the first MKII?
Still though, even if it was they were hard to come by anyways. If I see any more, I'll skoach them too.

JediTricks
01-29-2009, 01:53 PM
HW 1/50th scale is basically code for the pricepoint where it's the scale of their cars - $5.99. They have horrible scale from car to car at 1/64th scale too, so expect zero consistency in this department from Trek. Basically, it's just anything that fits into their $6 bubble, the same size as their Batman line, so smaller than Furuta but bigger than Titanium Series.

Darth Duranium
01-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know if HW have the rights to produce ships from the new film? Here's hoping...

Blue2th
01-29-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't know about Hot Wheels. I go down the diecast car isle, and besides the cheapo Maisto brands, they pretty much have a monopoly going on. Even after their Speed Racer failure. They've completely eliminated Johnny Lightning, and now Greenlight, who blew HW out of the water in detail and craftsmanship.

They put their stupid cars that the only difference between them and the .99 ones is the paint jobs and a diecast chassis, then they charge from 2.99 to 4.99.

Is it just me or is everything in the toy isles turning cheapo or animated, give or take a few items?

It rubs me the wrong way to see GI Joe vehicles from cartoon land outsell stuff that looks authentic, but then again nobody wants to think about real war with real looking vehicles these days, and I can't blame them. More for me.

I don't know but my interest in most toys has waned lately because the lack of detail and quality, and I no longer do the hunt as much anymore because it's gotten pathetic IMO.

I did find two more Vipers today though, also bought the Tank and the Torrent. Man it's not even close to the color white like what you would expect. Only one of each of the SW Titaniums. I might quit buying them if they go any further downhill.

JediTricks
01-30-2009, 02:57 PM
The problem is that collectors really don't keep mass-produced lines in business, it does take the kid factor. HW is 50% of why Mattel is the #1 toymaker in the world, it sure as sugar ain't because of the quality of their action figures. Johnny Lightning priced themselves out of the kid market and they're not collector-friendly with the assortments they have that include crappy wheels and tons of unimpressive repaints, plus their cars are sometimes so niche I wonder who would buy them at all. And JL's licensed product, where they really shine, is a disaster to find and is priced well outside the norm. The reality is that there's less market for what they're selling, it's not HW's fault though.

HW has a $2.99 line that is all original, the design challenge line. That line was pretty good. They also had the $2.99 line a few years ago with all-new designs that came with CCG cards based off a movie they were doing, in teams, those designs were very nice and had great wheels and axles too. But the majority of their up-priced lines are mere revisits of junk we've already seen, usually with an uninspired gimmick.

GI Joe vehicles have always sold best when they were fantasy-based, I think. I remember back in the original '80s ARAH days, the first 2 years were all tanks and basic stuff, kinda boring. Then in '84 they got into flight packs and hovercrafts and flying subs and other slightly-out-there stuff and it was really awesome, those were the golden years of vehicle play. Then they started to get into this ugly "modern" style of white rounded stuff, first the Conquest X-30, then in '88 the Skystorm X-wing Chopper (evil name, total ripoff) and Battleforce 2000 which took 6 sets and somehow made 13 ugly items. After that, almost every year had more and more of that aesthetic and sales kept declining because they had lost the balance between realistic military vehicles and fantasy.

Blue2th
01-30-2009, 03:39 PM
It's hard to argue with you there. I mean who wants to buy a Grand Torino (well maybe now after the movie) or Gremlin, or Pacer. That is a niche market. Johnny Lightning did well with Muscle cars, and should have exploited that more. They always seemed to go fast, and were tough to track down sometimes. I still buy a few at TRU and Kmart when available.

With .99 cars Hot Wheels are doing well in tough times.
A cheap toy parents can buy on the spot for the little ones with spare change.

JediTricks
02-01-2009, 02:27 PM
It helps that HW can be very flexible with which parts are die-cast ZAMAC and which parts are plastic. I forgot that JL and Greenlight are basically stuck with "the outside has to be metal and that's all to say on the matter", Hasbro a year ago told us that Titaniums would be seeing more plastic because the cost of zinc was shooting way up, and zinc is the base metal in ZAMAC (zinc with aluminum, magnesium, and copper) which all the die-cast cars are made from. So it's possible that the price of zinc is what did them in as well, it certainly had to be a huge impact on an already unfriendly market. Mattel buys zinc in much greater quantities so they can spread that pricing around easier.

Blue2th
02-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I don't really care about the Star trek ships being plastic, as long as they are super-detailed. That's what we are used to from Micromachines to Furutas and JL's.

Funny though, I like my cars all diecast. I should get a grip. :cross-eye

When Hot Wheels had their "Adult" series of HW 100% I bought them all. They kinda fizzled at $9+ a piece, but the detail was amazing. I have all the single cars and the 2,3,4,5 packs also with various themes. I couldn't part with them. probably never see anything like that again these days.

Darth Duranium
02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
My set of 6 Trek Konami ships arrived last week (price finally came down!) ... I gotta say that I'm quite impressed. They're large... the same size (or larger) as Furuta's first couple of waves... quite a bit bigger than JL's.

Paint's quite good but no JL-style aztec-ing... they've gone with a "clean" look. The plastic's a little soft as DW mentioned but I lucked out and didn't suffer any warping. They're quite solid and heavy, and they fit together well.

The TMP Klingon Battlecruiser is astounding! It's much larger than the JL versions, and the detailing's fantastic.

The refit 1701, 1701-A, 1701-B, and Reliant are all very nice. The 1701-E could have been a little larger... it's the same size as Furuta's... looks a little sleeker to me.

Looking forward to Volume 2...

I also got my new TS Viper Mk II today... haven't opened it yet! I'm sad that this is the last BSG TS.

Darth Windu
02-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I don't think there is a volume 2.

What I like about the Konami Ent-E is the extra detailing that isn't on the Furuta version - like phaser strips for example! Also the deflector design/paint and the warp nacelles in particular.

Blue2th
02-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Might have to get one of those Konami Enterprise E's just to have one variation besides the Furuta.

Been trying to round up a few Konami's that I've always wanted. Yesterday on ebay I won the vintage BSG Basestar, and an Alien Narssiscus life pod. Already have the Sulaco.

Still need to get the Dropship, Nostromo, and Ripley in Loader, maybe Alien Pilot. Not going to go for any aliens unless I can get them cheap.

There's nothing I absolutely need for BSG, as it is covered by Titanium, though I wouldn't mind a different Konami vintage Galactica.

Darth Duranium
02-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Might have to get one of those Konami Enterprise E's just to have one variation besides the Furuta.

Been trying to round up a few Konami's that I've always wanted. Yesterday on ebay I won the vintage BSG Basestar, and an Alien Narssiscus life pod. Already have the Sulaco.

Still need to get the Dropship, Nostromo, and Ripley in Loader, maybe Alien Pilot. Not going to go for any aliens unless I can get them cheap.

There's nothing I absolutely need for BSG, as it is covered by Titanium, though I wouldn't mind a different Konami vintage Galactica.

Nice one, Blue... it's great to pick up the ones you've been wanting for a long time. No doubt, richly deserved, no?

I really have liked all the Konami ships... and the Alien vehicles were among their best. I have the aliens that came with the sets... they're well done but they've sat in boxes with the Space Jockey for years... very skippable, IMO. The loader's cool but fragile. But the Narcissus, Dropship, and Nostromo all rock! Not cheap these days, either.

I converted a Hallmark Enterprise E to fit a Furuta stand... still the best E out there in that scale, IMHO. I like my Konami, Furuta, and the little Romando ones, too... but Hallmark still beats them all. Still though, and DW agrees... the Konami has its charms, too. The stands are the best I've ever seen, too.

I wonder if we'll ever see a Predator vehicle set? Same studio...

Blue2th
02-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Indeed DT. Kept putting it off, putting it off, meanwhile the prices just keep going up, up.
Though if you are willing to be diligent in the bidding (like sniping in the last 15 seconds) it's not too bad.
Most of auctions in the US. had massive bids, but I found a guy in England who ships to the US. for cheap, like $3 on the Basestar. I got that for $15 plus shipping. A very nice deal considering the prices now.
The Narssiscus was a buy it now for $12 from a US. seller with $5 shipping. :rolleyes:

You ever seen the 1/72 die-cast Dropship? That's really the one I want. Then the AFV (is it?) fits inside. That's a dream. One of these days. If lucky you can get it with the extra Queen Alien.

It would be nice to get the Predator ship, but that's only in Action Fleet for now, and the price is too high.
Sure would like to see the modern Predator ship from Alien vs Predator.

Darth Duranium
02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm a patient dude, too... I have waited years to get some of my ships at a cheapass price! I think it took 7 years for me to get an AF Alpha Droid Fighter.

You did very well on the Konamis considering what they go for now... shame you didn't grab 'em when they first came out and a whole set cost about $20-25. I screwed myself on the Trek Romandos that way... the price never came down as I expected. I think the F-Toys Trek set are going to be similar... unlike their SW set.

I wish I'd grabbed the Atlantia and Peg at the time the Konami BSGs came out... they're worth big coin now. I that saw someone's badly recasting the Konami Battlestar in China, sticking ship names on them in a crappy font, and selling them as a 12-ship Colonial Fleet for over $200. As frakkin' if!!!!! Pic below.

I employ similar tactics on eBay, too... it really gets your heart pounding when you're praying your internet connection doesn't puke out at the last second and you lose the frickin' auction. I lost an AF Predator ship for $25 that way... (sob).

Funnily enough, I just saw the Aoshima Aliens Power Loader at a comic store yesterday... only a paltry $150 (gag, choke). I'd love the entire 1/72 collection... the Japanese make such amazingly well-designed stuff! BTW, I think you mean APC, not AFV... I think you're watching too much America's Funniest Videos or something!

I'd love a decent-sized Betty, too!

Nightside
02-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Anyone take a good look at (or own) the Battlestar Galactica board game. I took a quick look at it and saw that it came with a few small ships as game tokens, including a Heavy Raider. Just wondering about the size and quality of the tokens.

Darth Duranium
02-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Here's a pic, Night... apparently, its been well-received by the gamers.

I think the ships are teeny tiny... except for the basestar? Not sure what the basestars are made from... cardboard? Hmmmmm......... might be promising.

Hey, I know what'd make a good substitute for the cardboard one...

Nightside
02-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Too bad the game pieces are so small. But, at least someone has manufactured a Heavy Raider (which is miraculous considering Hasbro apparently couldn't get enough information to sculpt one).

It still makes me mad when I think about the canned basestar (or should I say "boxed" basestar).

I think Hasbro should have produced the frakkin' thing, packaged it with battle-damaged repaints of the Galactica and the Pegasus, and sold it in a web-exclusive "Storming New Caprica" three-pack.

Ah, dreams...

Darth Duranium
02-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Too bad the game pieces are so small. But, at least someone has manufactured a Heavy Raider (which is miraculous considering Hasbro apparently couldn't get enough information to sculpt one)

It's a miracle! A juggling Virgin Mary on rollerskates will appear next to the Hasbro symbol! Testify!!!!

Since we've gone completely delusional, how about a Cylon Attack Titanium 5-Pack... a New Basestar, Guardian (Razor) Basestar, Resurrection Ship, Resurrection Hub, and a Classic Basestar? Comes with a bonus Heavy Raider...:thumbsup:

I gotta wonder why Hasbro pulled the plug before the show ends... there's bound to be a bounce in ratings. Probably Indy's fault. But they should have gone 1 more year with the BSG licence... frakkin' frakkers!

RJarvis
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
not the greatest pics, but pics none the less

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=Mattel%2FStar_Trek&pic=Star_Trek_Hot_Wheels.jpg&dispsize=600&start=0

link to the original article

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=14083

one cool piece, though...we're getting an Enterprise from the new movie...interesting...

Ross W. Jarvis

Blue2th
02-16-2009, 01:32 PM

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=Mattel%2FStar_Trek&pic=Star_Trek_Hot_Wheels.jpg&dispsize=600&start=0

one cool piece, though...we're getting an Enterprise from the new movie...interesting...

Ross W. Jarvis
Definitely want the new Enterprise, can't pass up the Refit for sure.

Those don't look too bad.

I'm wondering if HW will try something along the lines of what JL did with some of theirs, like the Enterprise D using clear plastic to simulate lit up engines and deflectors?
The pics seem to suggest that.
That would be cool, and a little different.
Wouldn't be that hard if they used transparent red or blue to mold the different parts in that plastic, with small red pieces for the engine tips etc.
Though in the case of the original 1701, they would use transparent red for it's engines.

Darth Duranium
02-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Nice find, Ross. They look small... but it's hard to say for sure with those pics. Glad we're getting the "new" Enterprise... will have to get that one for sure.

I just hope the others look a little different than the other 100+ Trek ships already done in that scale by everybody else.

Darth Windu
02-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Hmm they look quite nice...well except for the new Enterprise, that looks horrendous.

Might have to pick up a few of these, most definately the Ent-D though.

Blue2th
02-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Looks like the Enterprise D is going to be considerably smaller than the Johnny Lightning one.

The Refit and the Reliant look right together.

JediTricks
02-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Ross W. Jarvis"...while visions of Johnny Lightning, all danced in their heads."

Those metal stands and way overtouched photos reek of "plastic vehicles" to me. If I'm wrong, Mattel will likely get some cash out of me, but I'm not feeling it from that press release photo.

RJarvis
02-17-2009, 11:57 PM
JT - unfortunately, i have a hard time passing up anything on this order...i'll prolly pick up most of the line plastic or not...that is IF i can find them in stores...

DT - thanks much...like you, i hope for something new and at least slightly different than what's been produced en masse, but the likelihood of that happening is slim with all the really good ST ships that are out there...i just hope they're good enough to prompt the faithful to buy in and continue the line...as we've said SOOO many times before, there are scads of great ships that would look great in this scale (i.e. akira class, steamrunner, a better nova class equinox, etc.)

hopefully the new ST flick will spur some more designs that us junkies have been jonesing for

Ross W. Jarvis

Blue2th
02-18-2009, 02:18 AM
If you guys want any die-cast Star Trek ships in that size, I'm afraid you'll have to go way back to the Ertyl ones from the late 70's. :razz:

None of the Furutas, Johnny Lightnings, Konami's, or Romando's ships have ever been metal....well the JL stands.

I'm more interested in the sculpting and paint details. Surely Hot Wheels must know they are going to have to up the ante, and offer us something on these ships that's new. Seeins' how we aren't really getting anything that we don't have twice over and over :rolleyes: except the new Enterprise.

Then again they might just bombard us with sub quality crap. Hmm...where have I seen that before? Speed Racer?

Darth Duranium
02-18-2009, 05:40 AM
I don't display my Ertls anymore... the paint's just so awful (or non-existent) and the stands were beyond ludicrous. Still, they were the only game in town for a very long time so they're aiight by me..

I think Blue's got it right... I'm pretty much expecting a sub-quality crap bombardment to be served up by Mattel. I'm into sculpts and detailing too... I couldn't give a rat's arse about play features or materials either... so long as they look great on the stand.

I'd guess this means the end of Johnny Lightning ST... can't see CBS giving the licence to both to produce "diecast" Trek ships in the same scale. Then again, look at all the ST candy toy ships produced in Japan recently... it's hard to say.

Price point seems high... $50 for the 4 ships at EE? Then again, if they're larger or solid metal, they might be worth it... but they're stated by Mattel to be "about 4 inches" so I think they're just trying to hose us.

Having said all that, Ross, they'll probably get my cash, too.:yes:

I just got the F-Toys set of Trek ships from Japan today... once again IMHO, the Japanese make stuff of great quality. I was very happy with both them and the new Konamis. The F-Toys stands are basic but good and solid.

1701 and 1701 refit - best I've seen in this size... nicer paint than JL, Furuta, etc.; the 1701 is a perfect JL "White Lightning" stand-in
Defiant - nice, small though... about halfway between MM and Furuta size; parked the "cloaked" version in a box due to overwhelming lameness
1701-D - larger and thinner saucer than all inc. Hallmark, very nice mould, clean paint
NX-01 - slightly smaller than JL, bigger than Romando, good paint

I can take a few pics if anyone wants to see anything side-by-side. Or not...

Darth Windu
02-18-2009, 05:58 AM
I know what you mean about the size of the Defiant, but you'll get over it soon :). I was a bit disappointed, but when I realised the sheer amount of detail that went into her (plus that she's excellent for MM size AND is a perfect fit for the AMT/Ertl Deep Space 9 model kit)

Blue2th
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't display my Ertls anymore... the paint's just so awful (or non-existent) and the stands were beyond ludicrous. Still, they were the only game in town for a very long time so they're aiight by me..

I think Blue's got it right... I'm pretty much expecting a sub-quality crap bombardment to be served up by Mattel. I'm into sculpts and detailing too... I couldn't give a rat's arse about play features or materials either... so long as they look great on the stand.

I'd guess this means the end of Johnny Lightning ST... can't see CBS giving the licence to both to produce "diecast" Trek ships in the same scale. Then again, look at all the ST candy toy ships produced in Japan recently... it's hard to say.

Price point seems high... $50 for the 4 ships at EE? Then again, if they're larger or solid metal, they might be worth it... but they're stated by Mattel to be "about 4 inches" so I think they're just trying to hose us.

Having said all that, Ross, they'll probably get my cash, too.:yes:

I just got the F-Toys set of Trek ships from Japan today... once again IMHO, the Japanese make stuff of great quality. I was very happy with both them and the new Konamis. The F-Toys stands are basic but good and solid.

1701 and 1701 refit - best I've seen in this size... nicer paint than JL, Furuta, etc.; the 1701 is a perfect JL "White Lightning" stand-in
Defiant - nice, small though... about halfway between MM and Furuta size; parked the "cloaked" version in a box due to overwhelming lameness
1701-D - larger and thinner saucer than all inc. Hallmark, very nice mould, clean paint
NX-01 - slightly smaller than JL, bigger than Romando, good paint

I can take a few pics if anyone wants to see anything side-by-side. Or not...

Yeah, like to see size comparisons, detail comparisons, etc. You know you want to. :D
That' quite a feat if they can beat JL with the Refit details. Easy to beat the dissapointing green trimmed Furuta one (it's not on my shelf)
A larger version of the "D" ? JL is pretty large already.

I'm not thrilled by any of the cloaked ships, I would probably do the same.

Darth Windu
02-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, like to see size comparisons, detail cEasy to beat the dissapointing green trimmed Furuta one
Agreed. I just painted the green bits white.

clone157
02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
DT, I would love to see pics. I have uncertain finances and can't afford to order one of everything, as much as I as want to. BTW guys I found a cool website some may not know about: http://www.merzo.net/ . I found it as a great source of dreams of items that will never get made. If only furuta would give up doing busts and move to the other ships that have yet to be made in plastic. It's win-win for them, because we would be happy with anything, since no one else has attempted to do it.

JediTricks
02-20-2009, 12:08 AM
JT - unfortunately, i have a hard time passing up anything on this order...i'll prolly pick up most of the line plastic or not...that is IF i can find them in stores...Oh, most definitely, me too.

If you guys want any die-cast Star Trek ships in that size, I'm afraid you'll have to go way back to the Ertyl ones from the late 70's. :razz:Actually, the last one would be the Galoob's TNG Ent-D from '88, and before that there was the Ertl ST3 Enterprise, Excelsior, and KBOP from '84. All of them have GREAT sculpts too.

None of the Furutas, Johnny Lightnings, Konami's, or Romando's ships have ever been metal....well the JL stands. Originally, JL pimped their line as Die Cast, that's what the stands were about, to justify their claims.

I'm more interested in the sculpting and paint details. Surely Hot Wheels must know they are going to have to up the ante, and offer us something on these ships that's new. Seeins' how we aren't really getting anything that we don't have twice over and over :rolleyes: except the new Enterprise.

Then again they might just bombard us with sub quality crap. Hmm...where have I seen that before? Speed Racer?My expectation is about what they've delivered with their Batman line: good, but not quite crossing into "great" due to pricing, thick paint, and soft sculpts.

I don't display my Ertls anymore... the paint's just so awful (or non-existent) and the stands were beyond ludicrous. Still, they were the only game in town for a very long time so they're aiight by me..It always bugged me that the Federation ships were bald white with the wrong font and size text on the saucers, but I was absolutely in love with the sculpts. I remember being a kid sitting in Denny's with my mom asking her why the Enterprise had the engineering hull on the bottom when it made more sense on top and showing her with that ship. :p

I'd guess this means the end of Johnny Lightning ST... can't see CBS giving the licence to both to produce "diecast" Trek ships in the same scale. Then again, look at all the ST candy toy ships produced in Japan recently... it's hard to say.Haven't seen much from JL, I think it's fair to assume they're out.

Price point seems high... $50 for the 4 ships at EE? Then again, if they're larger or solid metal, they might be worth it... but they're stated by Mattel to be "about 4 inches" so I think they're just trying to hose us. They're probably Titanium Series sized or a touch bigger. Titaniums are up to $8 at Target, so with EE's markup, sadly that pricepoint isn't so crazed for these... it just SHOULD be.

Darth Duranium
02-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Blue and Clone152,

I'll take a few pics over the weekend... stay tuned!

Blue2th
02-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Blue and Clone152,

I'll take a few pics over the weekend... stay tuned!

Looking forward to those DT. :thumbsup:

I was just on ebay looking at the F-toys. I saw close ups of the NX-01. WOW! This blows the JL one out of the water big time! The detail is amazing. This is one of JL's ho-hum scuplts, and the only other offering I know of (Konami?)

So... "Mirror Darkly" NX-01 is the chase ship. Doh!

The "D' looks huge!

I want to get the set. Any better deals other than ebay that you've found?

JT: now that you mention it, I have that Galoob Enterprise D. Pretty hefty.
Never saw the Excelsior. Standing corrected.

JediTricks
02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
The Excelsior is nice, the white feels a little more out of place on it though, as the ship had more blue to it than the Enterprise. It's probably not worth tracking down, but if you come across one, check it out, buy it.