PDA

View Full Version : Target Battle Packs - Sarlacc Pit and Christophsis

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Battle at the Sarlacc Pit (http://www.target.com/Star-Wars-CHLD-SWCW-JABBAS/dp/B001F0L55I) and Battle of Christophsis (http://www.target.com/Star-Wars-CHLD-SWCW-AT-OT/dp/B001F0MVEW), the second of which we've already seen packaged, are online at Target's site. You can see packaged shots there when you click to view a larger image. Hopefully Han's shirt barf has been removed, but I doubt it. Since Hasbro already said the Sarlacc one is $60, I assume the Christophsis one will be, too.

FundingMyAddiction
10-17-2008, 07:37 PM
I still think the Sarlacc Pit looks awesome. I just hope they didn't make the base with the same flimsy material that they used on the Lars Homestead.

JediTricks
10-18-2008, 04:11 PM
The base is vacuform, it was evident from the Comic-Con display. The edges are folded flat, and the plastic has that look about it. The Sarlacc itself won't be though.

DarkArtist
10-19-2008, 04:10 PM
might get both of these sets if I can find them. Targets around me are like Walmarts Hit or Miss.

looking at the pics of the Sarlacc set it almost seems like both Luke and Han have either new head sculpts or are kitbashed figures.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Despite the repack figures, I'll probably get the Sarlacc set since I never got the skiff. I'm not too certain about the other one. Two vehicles that I don't really need or have room for and even less exciting repacks figures. If I wasn't getting low on space, I probably wouldn't hesitate.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-20-2008, 12:09 AM
I'll be skipping both of these. The Christophsis pack just has repacks and by some stroke of luck, I snagged the original Sarlaac back from years and years ago. I cna't see dropping more $$ just cos they included a sarlacc.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-20-2008, 12:25 AM
I'll be skipping both of these. The Christophsis pack just has repacks and by some stroke of luck, I snagged the original Sarlaac back from years and years ago. I cna't see dropping more $$ just cos they included a sarlacc.I didn't realize there was a Sarlacc done before.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-20-2008, 02:18 AM
He meant the skiff. They did, however, make a very tiny Sarlacc with the Tatooine Complete Galaxy in 1998.

JediTricks
10-20-2008, 04:39 AM
I thought he meant the Sarlacc Pit battle pack with the same (or very similar) figures.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-20-2008, 07:20 AM
I thought he meant the Sarlacc Pit battle pack with the same (or very similar) figures.

Yeah, that one that came out during POTF2, pictured here: http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/toys/skiffbox.jpg

:thumbsup:

Ando
10-20-2008, 10:43 AM
I'll get a couple of the CW Battle of Christophsis BPs just for the vehicles and I'll just sell the figures to a local shop.

I really like the Republic paint job on the AT-AP.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Yeah, that one that came out during POTF2, pictured here: http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/toys/skiffbox.jpg

:thumbsup:
No, JT's talking about the Battle Pack (http://www.rebelscum.com/tscBPsarlaccbattle.asp) (like he said). And it is indeed the same figures, though they might've changed paint or something.

I wish they'd changed the background picture on the Sarlacc set so the sail barge was closer to be more accurate, and there weren't banthas, but oh well. Also, looking at the set now, the Sarlacc is way too dark.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-20-2008, 06:57 PM
In both of those, the Sarlacc is just cardboard or something, so it isn't anything like this set.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-20-2008, 07:18 PM
In both of those, the Sarlacc is just cardboard or something, so it isn't anything like this set.
Yes, there's been a lot of miscommunication in this thread. In post 6, JMG meant to say "skiff" instead of "original sarlacc back from years and years ago." In post 9, JT was talking about the 2006 TSC Battle Pack that I linked to in post 12. In post 10, JMG misunderstood JT and linked to the 2000 POTJ skiff.

Anyway, yeah, the Sarlacc and base are new but the skiff and figures are old, the skiff coming from the 2000 release and the figures from the 2006 Battle Pack (and, previously, from their carded releases).

Mad Slanted Powers
10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Yes, there's been a lot of miscommunication in this thread. In post 6, JMG meant to say "skiff" instead of "original sarlacc back from years and years ago." In post 9, JT was talking about the 2006 TSC Battle Pack that I linked to in post 12. In post 10, JMG misunderstood JT and linked to the 2000 POTJ skiff.

Anyway, yeah, the Sarlacc and base are new but the skiff and figures are old, the skiff coming from the 2000 release and the figures from the 2006 Battle Pack (and, previously, from their carded releases).

Yeah, when JT first mentioned a battle pack, I was thinking of the Skirmish at Carkoon (http://www.rebelscum.com/sw04skirmishatcarkoon.asp) battle pack, which didn't have a Sarlacc either. I passed on the one you linked to, but probably would have got it if it had included a skiff or a Sarlacc.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-20-2008, 08:49 PM
I passed on the one you linked to, but probably would have got it if it had included a skiff or a Sarlacc.
Well, you're in luck, since that's exactly what's coming in this new set. :D

Now that you brought up that other set . . . this scene has been rather well represented, hasn't it? And yet there are still so many more skiff guards to make . . .

mtriv73
10-21-2008, 02:51 PM
...Also, looking at the set now, the Sarlacc is way too dark.

I'll bet you'd be pretty dark too if you spent all your time sun(s)bathing in the hot Tatooine dessert.

pbarnard
10-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Trying to figoure out if the Sarlac is essentially worth $20 (skiff = $20, and the figures =$20). Even if you'd say I'd only buy it for less, there's the exclusive mark up factor here in play.

Plus was the 2000 PotJ skiff an exclusive or was that a wide release?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2008, 04:53 PM
I'll bet you'd be pretty dark too if you spent all your time sun(s)bathing in the hot Tatooine dessert.
I kind of wonder why Luke and the Larses aren't much more tan.

Plus was the 2000 PotJ skiff an exclusive or was that a wide release?
It was a Target exclusive that was released alongside the Y-wing. I didn't get it then, though. Was it reallly $20? Wow, that's insane. The Y-wing must have been $20 too, but last year's TRU exclusive one was $45. Ridiculous.

DarkJedi5
10-21-2008, 05:04 PM
So does that mean that the Skiff is also worth $45 now also? I guess the Y-Wing came packed with two newish figs and this one comes with even more figs so if you look at it that way, this is a great deal. Right?

JediTricks
10-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Now we've confirmed that the vehicle has been re-released, and the figures were re-released in a prior box set altogether, so the only new thing here is the Sarlacc itself. Hooray!

I kind of wonder why Luke and the Larses aren't much more tan.Sunscreen, they can afford it, the Tuskens can't. It's class warfare. ;) Nobody's sunburned in Star Wars, I guess that's space magic.

DarkJedi5
10-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Now we've confirmed that the vehicle has been re-released, and the figures were re-released in a prior box set altogether, so the only new thing here is the Sarlacc itself. Hooray!

I thought that they scuplted new heads for Han and Luke...?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2008, 09:58 PM
The pictures are too small to tell, but I don't think they have new heads.

JediTricks
10-25-2008, 09:18 PM
I thought that they scuplted new heads for Han and Luke...?No. The Endor bunker set has a new Han head, but this set the heads are from the TAC Luke and TSC Han. They're not actually the figures in the battle pack I mentioned before, but they aren't new either.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-25-2008, 11:17 PM
No. The Endor bunker set has a new Han head, but this set the heads are from the TAC Luke and TSC Han. They're not actually the figures in the battle pack I mentioned before, but they aren't new either.
Where did you see this? They look like the old heads to me. The Luke figure, for instance, has the old-style neck peg, while the TAC one has the ball-joint, so they would be incompatible unless they sculpted a new neck for this set.

JediTricks
10-26-2008, 04:13 AM
Dang, you're right, it is the Saga Luke: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=29329

Jarsh019
11-04-2008, 04:23 PM
:whip:doesnt the ATAP come with the long cannon cause i cant see it in there so if its not in there i wont be buying tht pack

JediTricks
11-05-2008, 10:34 PM
:whip:doesnt the ATAP come with the long cannon cause i cant see it in there so if its not in there i wont be buying tht pack
Good eye, how the heck didn't we notice that before? I am going to assume it's in the package but under the tray, and didn't get included in the Hasbro photo loose, but it could be disincluded, that'd be weird.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-06-2008, 06:26 PM
I totally forgot about that piece, so I guess it's not a deal-breaker if they don't include it, but I would obviously like them to. Oh, and now the pages have a zoom-in feature on the pictures; it looks like Han's barf has indeed been removed, which is great.

Veers
11-10-2008, 08:38 AM
I am gonna pick up both items. :thumbsup:

Jarsh019
11-10-2008, 10:23 AM
i really thing that christophsis pack is retarded without the cannon

DarkArtist
11-10-2008, 11:26 AM
would like to get both of these sets, especially the Sarlacc set but have to wait and see if I can find them and what they both look like up close.

VidKidd
11-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Hey guys just wanted to let everyone know. I was in my local target tonight and they have the end cap up where these are to go. Now there wasn't any out and i didn't have the $$ to buy them, and i really really don't like the price on these, didn;t like them last year either so i skipped them. The Label said they are $62.99. I little to pricey for me at the moment. Hopefully i can get them when they drop a bt if they clearance.

DarkArtist
11-22-2008, 04:43 PM
my wife picked me up the 2 Clone Wars battlepacks for Christmas (the Obi Wan & Troopers & the Yoda & Troopers) but I have to wait till Christmas to open them.

DarkJedi5
11-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Got the Sarlaac pit yesterday (it was the last one and the CW ones were gone) and it's not an awful set. Sure I paid $70 and it probably isn't worth that in the end but the Sarlaac itself is awesome. Hasbro did a pretty good job on it and I think the best part is that beneath the angled "sand" part (which is made just like tha base of the Lar's Homestead) is another one made out of a much stronger plastic which has more of a mound shape. I am probably going to ditch the bigger plastic part and just display the sarlaac in the hard plastic dome. I know it's not film accurate but it looks pretty good to me and if I really wanted I could even take the actual sarlaac pit out and build something myself. IMO the plastic mound is somewhat necessary though because unless you've got a hole you could drop the thing into, you do need something to go around it.

jediguy
11-29-2008, 05:31 PM
I got both sets, but I have only opened the CW one

a good set; the new deco on the AT-AP is very nice, and the new deco on the AAT is awesome!
I read somewhere that the Battle Droids were different than the basic carded version, but I did not notice what was different
the Super Battle Droid does not come with the wrist rockets that the carded version comes with
Anakin is the exact carded version
the Clone Troopers are OK, one regular carded trooper and 2 that came with the AT-TE
same basic figures there

I have yet to open the Sarlacc set, but from the looks of it, all of the figures have poor paint jobs and their weapons are limper than overcooked noodles
I don't know yet if the skiff is any different than the first release

DarkJedi5
11-29-2008, 08:06 PM
The skiff is no different and you're right about the weapons, every single one of mine is horribly mangled and I will have to boil them straight. The paint on the characters looks okay except for the Weequay who's paint is a little odd (they gave him silver hi-lights).

I can't help but think though that the skiff just needs to be redone though. You cannot fit Pote Snitkin behind the controls and since that's the only way we see him in the films it's a disappointment. And then the weapons storage in the middle of the skiff takes up a ton of space and doesn't allow for the figs to battle on the skiff like they did in the film. I don't like the action features like the flip up deck plate because it makes it hard to stand figures even in the "level" position. I just don't think that Hasbro is going to remake it anytime soon. If ever.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Target had one of the Sarlacc packs on the shelves and a couple each of the Clone Wars packs (Obi-Wan & 212th Attack Battalion, Yoda and Coruscant Guard). Other than the repacked figures, the Sarlacc sets looks pretty nice. I do seem to recall though, a Hasbro Q&A where the seemed to reject the idea of a Sarlacc playset because you would essentially be trying to sell a hole in the ground. I guess adding the skiff and making a nice set piece out of it makes it more marketable.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Got the Sarlaac pit yesterday (it was the last one and the CW ones were gone) and it's not an awful set. Sure I paid $70 and it probably isn't worth that in the end but the Sarlaac itself is awesome. Hasbro did a pretty good job on it and I think the best part is that beneath the angled "sand" part (which is made just like tha base of the Lar's Homestead) is another one made out of a much stronger plastic which has more of a mound shape. I am probably going to ditch the bigger plastic part and just display the sarlaac in the hard plastic dome. I know it's not film accurate but it looks pretty good to me and if I really wanted I could even take the actual sarlaac pit out and build something myself. IMO the plastic mound is somewhat necessary though because unless you've got a hole you could drop the thing into, you do need something to go around it.
Can you post a picture of what the Sarlacc looks like without the plastic base?

I saw this set yesterday but didn't get it (waiting for Christmas, I guess). Luke's googly eyes were ridiculous, but not as bad as some I've seen online. I won the original skiff from eBay a few days ago so hopefully it'll get here soon and then I'll have some screen-accurate double-skiff action going on (even if they are too small). They had two of the Sarlacc sets but none of the Christophsis ones . . . odd.

Snowtrooper
11-30-2008, 02:00 PM
I really wanted to get the sarlacc, but for $70 I think its just way too much. For $50 or even $60 I might have bit. I'm hoping it'll make it to clearance, but none of the other UBP's did in the past, so I'm figuring I wont end up with this set.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-30-2008, 02:05 PM
I really wanted to get the sarlacc, but for $70 I think its just way too much. For $50 or even $60 I might have bit. I'm hoping it'll make it to clearance, but none of the other UBP's did in the past, so I'm figuring I wont end up with this set.
It's $62.99 at most stores, though some inexplicably marked them up to $69.99, so you might get (slightly) lucky.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-30-2008, 02:14 PM
I saw this set yesterday but didn't get it (waiting for Christmas, I guess). Luke's googly eyes were ridiculous, but not as bad as some I've seen online. I won the original skiff from eBay a few days ago so hopefully it'll get here soon and then I'll have some screen-accurate double-skiff action going on (even if they are too small). They had two of the Sarlacc sets but none of the Christophsis ones . . . odd.I didn't see the Christophsis one either. Waiting for Christmas might not be wise if you really want the set. I don't think the Han and Endor sets lasted long last year. Those were probably better sets though.

It's $62.99 at most stores, though some inexplicably marked them up to $69.99, so you might get (slightly) lucky.$62.99 is what I paid. However, that comes to $68.28 with the 8.4% sales tax here.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I didn't see the Christophsis one either. Waiting for Christmas might not be wise if you really want the set. I don't think the Han and Endor sets lasted long last year. Those were probably better sets though.
Right. I'm more waiting for my mom to buy them for me for Christmas so they don't have to be added to the list of things to look for later on eBay . . . hopefully it will be soon.

x13squadleader
11-30-2008, 05:49 PM
well i did buy them both,went around town on saturday,to all the targets here in town.did not see anything on the shelfs anywhere.asked a few people and they were not sure what i was talking about.went home and got the dcpi# and started to call them in town. i called 2 targets and they both had them in the back.so i did go daown and buy them,but why they were in the back i am not sure.seems like they should have been out for black friday.

Devo
12-01-2008, 07:44 AM
I can't help but think though that the skiff just needs to be redone though. You cannot fit Pote Snitkin behind the controls and since that's the only way we see him in the films it's a disappointment. And then the weapons storage in the middle of the skiff takes up a ton of space and doesn't allow for the figs to battle on the skiff like they did in the film. I don't like the action features like the flip up deck plate because it makes it hard to stand figures even in the "level" position. I just don't think that Hasbro is going to remake it anytime soon. If ever.

Indeed. The skiff still looks nice if only it were bigger. It actually is possible to fit Pote behind the controls but you have to force it.

In the vehicle polls all emphasis is on the Sailbarge. I don't recall seeing the Skiff anywhere but in any case I was prioritising the Sailbarge myself, along with other fantasy scale vehicles.

It really could do with being bigger and more stable though.

jediguy
12-01-2008, 08:37 AM
I got both sets, but I have only opened the CW one

a good set; the new deco on the AT-AP is very nice, and the new deco on the AAT is awesome!
I read somewhere that the Battle Droids were different than the basic carded version, but I did not notice what was different
the Super Battle Droid does not come with the wrist rockets that the carded version comes with
Anakin is the exact carded version
the Clone Troopers are OK, one regular carded trooper and 2 that came with the AT-TE
same basic figures there

I have yet to open the Sarlacc set, but from the looks of it, all of the figures have poor paint jobs and their weapons are limper than overcooked noodles
I don't know yet if the skiff is any different than the first release

I should correct the fact that there were only 2 clone troopers in the pack, both the recon patrol with the gray stripes on the armor and the AT-TE footprint on the shoulders
no basic carded version

sorry for the mistake:o

waboritas
12-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Picked up the Sarlacc set today and I'm really on the fence whether or not I keep it for the following reasons:

1. It was $69.99 plus tax.
2. This is a $20 price hike over last years sets which in my opinion are far superior.
3. The paint apps are horrible as reported here and other sites.
4. Lars Homestead quality plastic base
5. Weapons are pathetic.

The reasons I may keep it are:

1. Never got the original skiff when it was released.
2. The Sarlacc is cool.
3. Don't have the Han, Lando or Boba figs included, so in essence I'm getting three updates.

At the Target I went to there was the one I bought and two of the Christophis sets out.(which I think looks better than Sarlaac). Was surprised there were not more stacked on the top shelves.

This being a very light Star Wars spending year for me, $558 to date with the Rancor the only item I expect to pick-up prior to the end of the year $40-50?, I may keep this set.

DarkArtist
12-01-2008, 02:41 PM
have yet to find them at retail yet. thinking about getting the Sarlacc set for the skiff and Sarlacc and maybe the Lando Skiff but the rest is meh to me. not sure if i'm willing to drop the $70 for the set (as it is so not worth the price). hopefully i can find it on clearence

waboritas
12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I hear you re: clearance, but I didn't see it happen last year and I'm sure they were produced in limited quantities so they will blow through them in the next 3 weeks. Makes me wonder why the TRU model never pans out - see Y-Wing last year, Dagobah X-Wing and Bantha Set a couple years ago and likely the Lars Homestead this year.

DarkJedi5
12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Picked up the Sarlacc set today and I'm really on the fence whether or not I keep it for the following reasons:

4. Lars Homestead quality plastic base

To be fair that is only the "outter" base. There is an "inner" base that I am hoping to get pics of up tonight. It is much much harder, probably thicker even than the Lars Homestead dome.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-01-2008, 07:02 PM
JediInsider (http://jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=11439) has some pics of the Sarlacc outside of the sand base. This thing is so vulgar-looking . . .

TheDarthVader
12-01-2008, 10:41 PM
My Target had them for $62.99. They had two sarlacc pits. I am thinking about buying one but the price is high. :(

DarkJedi5
12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Not super awesome, but I'm enjoying mine.

Jaff
12-02-2008, 02:24 AM
Simply put you pay $65 after tax for a skiff and the Sarlacc. If you can live with that you will be happy, if you can't don't buy it. I picked mine up and love the Sarlacc. It does look perfect and you can take the retarded beak out of the pit.

The figs are dreadful repaints, especially Lando, Weequay and Luke. The Han is about the same, as is the Boba. But any figs that come with this set is just doubles to go in a box for ebay lot auctions later. Your just buying it for the Sarlacc. In the end I can live with a $65 Sarlacc.

jonthejedi
12-02-2008, 04:16 AM
I passed on Christophis & I won't pay $65 for a plastic, tentacled base. I already have two skiffs & the figures from previous releases. If this had been $49.95...I would have been all over it. It doesn't much matter what my opinion is...becase Hasbro sold the wretched things. So, next year expect $75 price point.

Droidworld
12-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I agree, this set is waaaaaaaaay overpriced. The paint work on all the figures AND the skiff, is inferior to previous releases. The paint looks like it was done by the same crap factory that painted the Indiana Jones figures. This better not be the way Hasbro is going with the Star Wars line, or it may suffer the same fate as IJ!

You can see close up pics of the craptastic paint jobs here:

http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=103&page=1

TheDarthVader
12-03-2008, 07:33 PM
After looking at those pics...holy crap! Han's face is not the same color as his neck, Luke's hand is opened far enough to hold a keg of beer, wequay is STILL poorly articulated, Lando's neck is colored differently than his face too, Lando, Han, and Luke's eyes look like doodoo, Weequay's hair looks like he had a bad dye job, and Lando's chest plate is not one solid color (if they tried to make it look weathered, they really dropped the ball on this one). Wow.

FLORIDA COLLECTOR X
12-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I agree!! Once again hasbro has dropped the ball on something that should be great. I have been noticing this with the entire toy line too. It seems hasbro is just dumping figures into "Battle Packs" to move excess inventory....quick re-paints & change an accessory here or there and they think we dont see. "Just dumb collectors..they will buy anything" is the feeling I get. Has anyone noticed the Leia Organa figure in the Prince Xisor comic pack....this is rediculous. Unless someone does more live action movies...I truly believe that the star wars collecting universe will come to an end sometime late 2009 as hasbro is already just re-painting everything and releasing the same things over and over. Not to burst anyones bubble but how many more clone trooper variations do we need, or luke, or R2-D2 figures are really needed. I could sit here and list tons of crap that needs never to see a store shelf again...you know every item I am referring to. How much do you want to bet that they release another emperor palpatine figure within the next 3 waves, or another chewbacca, or how about another anakin. All the Targets and especially all the Wal-marts in the central florida area are hemorraging with star wars figures as far back as 18 months old.

DarkJedi5
12-04-2008, 01:21 AM
I agree!! Once again hasbro has dropped the ball on something that should be great. I have been noticing this with the entire toy line too. It seems hasbro is just dumping figures into "Battle Packs" to move excess inventory....quick re-paints & change an accessory here or there and they think we dont see. "Just dumb collectors..they will buy anything" is the feeling I get. Has anyone noticed the Leia Organa figure in the Prince Xisor comic pack....this is rediculous. Unless someone does more live action movies...I truly believe that the star wars collecting universe will come to an end sometime late 2009 as hasbro is already just re-painting everything and releasing the same things over and over. Not to burst anyones bubble but how many more clone trooper variations do we need, or luke, or R2-D2 figures are really needed. I could sit here and list tons of crap that needs never to see a store shelf again...you know every item I am referring to. How much do you want to bet that they release another emperor palpatine figure within the next 3 waves, or another chewbacca, or how about another anakin. All the Targets and especially all the Wal-marts in the central florida area are hemorraging with star wars figures as far back as 18 months old.

First of all, I admit that the paint aps have been slipping. And the Sarlaac pit and Lars Homestead are probably two of the worst sets Hasbro has released in the line. However I bought both of them. Granted with coupons and what not I didn't pay hardly anything for the Homestead and while I paid top dollar for the Sarlaac I haven't had any buyer's remorse in either case. I bought them for the dome and the creature and I'm content.

On the issue of the Leia and Xizor pack I don't think I follow. Yeah the Leia is a crappy sculpt that would have been better off without ankle articulation, I think they turned in an A+ effort on Xizor and again, I bought the set and am very pleased with that figure.

I honestly have a hard time believing that the line would dry up as rapidly as 2009. The company has the license from LucasFilm for longer than that and they way they are going they will keep making toys at least until that runs out.

As far as seeing Palpatine in the next three waves, well you're right. They have already confirmed him for the ESB wave due out as the second wave of 09. Hasbro tells us that those core characters are the thing that lets them make the lesser known figs us collectors love. Next wave we are going to be seeing characters like the Trinto Duaba, Dice Ibegon, Wioslea, and Pons Limbic because the wave also contains a Han, Luke, Obi-Wan, and a Stormtrooper variant. As a collector I don't see what the problem is. I skipped all the figs from the cut scene of ROTJ from wave 1 because I didn't want them. Sure it was a pain to get the parts cause I wanted to finish the droid but that was my choice.

As far as the pegs being clogged with the figs from 18 months ago, I can't say I've seen anything like that. All the stores I've been to did a huge round up this summer and got rid of almost everything to make way for the Legacy and Clone Wars launch in August. Sure there are a few TAC figs around here and there but I don't think people have seen a shortage of the new packaging around. Now whether or not they're still wave 1s and 2s and not the new stuff is a different story.

bigbarada
12-05-2008, 09:20 PM
A simple question for those who have the new Skiff. Did they fix the pegs for the actions figures' feet? My biggest complaint of the previous release is that the pegs for the figures' feet don't fit any of the figures. They're too small and too short to work.

I ended up paying $60 on Ebay for my POTF2 Skiff without a Sarlacc, so I'm debating whether I want to buy this set or not.

DarkJedi5
12-06-2008, 12:21 PM
As far as I can tell they didn't change a thing.

DarkArtist
12-08-2008, 01:36 PM
so far I have checked 4 Targets and no sign of these anywhere. last year i didn't spot them till about 4 days before Christmas so we'll se if they make it on the shelves around here. if not it's no big deal.

the GI JOE sets are almost falling off the shelves though. spotted about 50 of them in 3 of the targets i checked.

DarkJedi5
12-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah, Joe is everwhere but aside from the Sarlaac set I bought, I've only seen one of each on the shelves at two different Targets. In my area, they came and went as fast as last years' sets.

waboritas
12-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Not sure how accurate the store locator is on Target's website, but it indicated it is available at all but one store in the Boston area. The Target I go to once or twice a week has only had it on the shelf the one time I saw it and reluctantly bought it. Still holding that receipt in hope of it going on clearance.......

x13squadleader
12-26-2008, 11:41 AM
well what i don't understand is every target i go to doesn't have them on the floor.they are all in the back.not spot on the floor,nothing. the #087-06-2070.just says no aisle,warehouse.at least in grand rapids michigan.are they saving them for collectors only? not sure.

DarkJedi5
12-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd say if you can't find the they are gone. At my Target they were only put out on end caps or on top of the shelves and sold through really quick. They were also released on Black Friday (or there abouts) and so being after Christmas, it was probably Target's and Hasbro's plan to have them sold through by now.

Cane_Adiss
12-26-2008, 03:37 PM
I was lucky to get my Sarlacc set early, a few days before Black Friday. Here's my take on the set that most people are vocally complaining about:

I really like the Sarlacc and the Skiff themselves (I never got the Skiff when it was first released so this is new to me.) And the Sarlacc functions well for what it is. Honestly does anyone expect the Sarlacc could've been done much differently? Sure the plastic base coulda been bigger, but that would've added to the cost significantly in what is already an overpriced set. It was nice that they designed a piece of the packaging to be able to sit over top of it all and make it look a little bigger, even if it was made of a cheaper quality plastic. I honestly believe that that cheap plastic "shell" was never supposed to act as anything more than a piece of the packaging's scenery, and that it was probably intended to be disposable.

My biggest three complaints are: the quality of the figures used to pack in the set, the cheap and flimsy weapons and the cost of the whole set itself.

The paint on Luke's face is completely inexcusable. In fact, my sample has several prominent "mold lines" which when coupled with the hideous paint job makes him look like the undead who's head is falling apart into pieces. The Weequay was given a new color scheme which looks like a try at diversity. Instead the finished figure looks like one of those oddly colored prototypes you see for sale on eBay. Plus the sculpt is way overdue for an update. The paint on Lando isn't as bad, but is way off in terms of authenticity, why they didn't just do a straight repack without changing the once excellent pait job is beyond my comprehension. Han and Boba seem to be the only figures who's paint haven't changed considerably. No real complaints with them other than the lackluster figures themselves. Pote Snitkin should've been a natural choice to include in this set, and looks far better than the beefy pin headed Weequay. If left painted as he is it would've made the set look so much more interesting and the skiff would have it's pilot (even if you have to take off his outer cloak, softgoods could be good for him down the road.)

The weapons are molded in an extremely flimsy and oily plastic which makes it impossible for the weapons to serve their purpose. Not only that, but they are rubber banded so tightly in the figures' hands that the weapons (and the figures' hands) are left permanently warped and in Lando's case, the weapon was completely snapped in half. I didn't discover this until I was taking the package apart. Han and Luke's hands are now forever incapable of holding ANYTHING because of the bands. Luke's blaster is warped beyond recognition and the thin, badly designed force pikes are about as rigid as a twist tie. WHY doesn't Hasbro design this kind of weapon like back in the POTF2 days? Back then, we virtually never had to worry about our weapons and accessories being destroyed by the packaging in this manner! Why not package the weapons separately from the figures awkward grips?

The cheap execution of the figures, their weapons plus the reuse of old and outdated molds for the figures and the featured vehicle and the simple, truncated (yet somehow effective) execution of the Sarlacc definitely do not warrant a 75 dollar price tag. I don't know why this was priced so high when all the items included couldv'e been packed in a smaller box (perhaps in a less dramatic presentation) for much less than this. The only new tooling that I can tell was for the Sarlacc, it's thicker sand base and it's flimsier outer display base. I can't imagine it was any more expensive than other creatures to tool and produce, yet this was by far the most expensive creature I ever bought. POODOO!:mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-26-2008, 05:10 PM
I got both of these sets for Christmas.

The paint on my Sarlacc wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible as some I've seen. The Weequay looks different but not necessarily bad. The silver things in his hair are thankfully not just one large blob but several smaller ones (kind of like the old one). Luke and Lando's eyes are terrible and just look wrong. Han was actually an improvement, though . . . no more shirt barf, which is correct for the Sarlacc sequence. I didn't get the original TSC Boba Fett so I don't have a point of comparison but it looks alright.

The weapons, as has been stated, are pretty awful. Luke's hand was stretched by the rubber bands so he can't hold the lightsaber. Han and Lando both come with Lando's gun despite Han using Lando's in the film (IIRC) and both are quite flimsy due to the black plastic being recycled or whatever Hasbro said. Hans and the Weequay's staff were both bent horribly.

The Skiff itself looks different from the first one and feels kind of flimsier. The railing in the front is super loose. Apart from that it's nice and I'm glad to have two now, though it really shows how many new skiff guards we need.

The Sarlacc is pretty well done for what it is. The beast itself is removable and actually in two pieces so you can open the beak thing. The big tentacle is also removable and bendy though not as much as I'd hoped. The bottom part is sculpted separately and removable from a plastic sand base that slopes downward, and has two slots for pegs so that they will fit together, but the bottom base has to be stretched to fit and always comes out when I put it down. The outer plastic thing, while flimsy, looks miles better than the Lars homestead base despite still being out of scale. I know we'll never get a better one, but it's actually pretty nice for what it is.

The figures are kind of disposable apart from Han and maybe Boba, the skiff is nice, and the Sarlacc is as good as we'll ever get, so it's not bad. I expect it to hit clearance, so I think it's worth it when it hits a lower price (but I'm fine with it as a gift).

The Christophsis set is pretty great, though, despite a warped battle droid from the AAT (which is a different deco from the single release). No wonder it's outselling the Sarlacc by a wide margin.

Val Da Car
12-30-2008, 02:55 PM
The Target near me just put them out at $54. Because "NO Toys should be in the Backroom".

Wish they would have done that Before Christmas....DOH!

I got both of these sets for Christmas.

The paint on my Sarlacc wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible as some I've seen. The Weequay looks different but not necessarily bad. The silver things in his hair are thankfully not just one large blob but several smaller ones (kind of like the old one). Luke and Lando's eyes are terrible and just look wrong. Han was actually an improvement, though . . . no more shirt barf, which is correct for the Sarlacc sequence. I didn't get the original TSC Boba Fett so I don't have a point of comparison but it looks alright.

The weapons, as has been stated, are pretty awful. Luke's hand was stretched by the rubber bands so he can't hold the lightsaber. Han and Lando both come with Lando's gun despite Han using Lando's in the film (IIRC) and both are quite flimsy due to the black plastic being recycled or whatever Hasbro said. Hans and the Weequay's staff were both bent horribly.

The Skiff itself looks different from the first one and feels kind of flimsier. The railing in the front is super loose. Apart from that it's nice and I'm glad to have two now, though it really shows how many new skiff guards we need.

The Sarlacc is pretty well done for what it is. The beast itself is removable and actually in two pieces so you can open the beak thing. The big tentacle is also removable and bendy though not as much as I'd hoped. The bottom part is sculpted separately and removable from a plastic sand base that slopes downward, and has two slots for pegs so that they will fit together, but the bottom base has to be stretched to fit and always comes out when I put it down. The outer plastic thing, while flimsy, looks miles better than the Lars homestead base despite still being out of scale. I know we'll never get a better one, but it's actually pretty nice for what it is.

The figures are kind of disposable apart from Han and maybe Boba, the skiff is nice, and the Sarlacc is as good as we'll ever get, so it's not bad. I expect it to hit clearance, so I think it's worth it when it hits a lower price (but I'm fine with it as a gift).

The Christophsis set is pretty great, though, despite a warped battle droid from the AAT (which is a different deco from the single release). No wonder it's outselling the Sarlacc by a wide margin.

mtriv73
12-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Both were available online this morning for those who haven't found them yet. They were still full price though. I got the Sarlacc and like it and the skiff. The figures are an insult but I'm grudgingly overlooking that to finally have a Sarlacc.

TheDarthVader
01-06-2009, 10:30 AM
My target had one of each left and for $54.99 a piece. =)

jediguy
01-06-2009, 11:18 AM
I am much happier with the Christophsis pack than the Sarlacc set

when I pulled Lando out of the plastic, some of the paint on his helmet stayed on the plastic
when I tried to pose him, I pulled his right arm completely off
Boba's arms are so loose that all they do is hang down
Luke and the Weequay look like ghosts, and Luke's hands are very loose
Han is alright I guess, for it being like the 10th figure from this scene

I am happy with the Sarlacc, but the base needs improvement
the new deco on the skiff was a most welcome surprise

I returned the spare set I had after being so disappointed after opening my first

waboritas
01-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Based on the feedback of the poor craftsmanship, I wonder what Hasbro Customer Service would say if a complaint is filed? Might they issue coupons?

mtriv73
01-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Based on the feedback of the poor craftsmanship, I wonder what Hasbro Customer Service would say if a complaint is filed? Might they issue coupons?

I doubt it. What do we really have to complain about? With the AT-TE there actually was a problem with the toy. With the Sarlacc pit and the Lars homestead they just used crappy plastic for the bases, molded the figures in poorly chosen colors, and apparently used the same people responsible for wave 1 of the Indiana Jones toys to apply the paint. If it doesn't pose a saftey concern or detract from the playability of the toy then they have no worries (other than us not buying **** like this in the future.

TheDarthVader
01-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I agree with M73. I am passing on these sets, especially the sarlaac.

Slicker
03-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Saw the Battle of Christophsis at Target here in MI. I had Cappy go to get it for me to bring down and, of course, they were sold out. Thankfully they had stocked the Sarlaac one in its stead so he grabbed that for me. It's a pretty neat looking set but it just makes me wonder even more how they can have this one be only $10 more than the Lars Homestead one when this comes with more figures and more playability? As far as I could tell the Lars Homestead just came with like 4 figures, a vaporator, and the house itself. Am I wrong with that?

BTW, why is Lando painted white on the sarlaac set?

JediTricks
03-14-2009, 03:34 PM
The sarlacc is the only new piece, and it's rather small. The house is a larger new piece, so they claim it ate up all the budget.

Slicker
03-14-2009, 04:31 PM
I guess. :rolleyes:

Sounds rather sad to me. If that's the case then they could've at least included a re-release of the Landspeeder or something like that. Maybe even a swoop or 2.

JediTricks
03-15-2009, 02:51 PM
The original plan was to include a better deco and a couple more figures, but the large tooling required for the house ate up all the budget. This is why we don't get playsets anymore.

JetsAndHeels
03-15-2009, 03:16 PM
My local Target has 2 of the Sarlacc Pits, each still at $54.99 a piece. I still want one, but the price has to be reduced more for me to even consider it.

dr_evazan22
03-15-2009, 05:34 PM
BTW, why is Lando painted white on the sarlaac set?

Because its Lando Jackson.

morpheus282
03-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I picked up the Christophsis set for my daughter and she loves it. I'd like to get the sarlacc set, but after all the negative reviews I've seen I'm probably going to have to skip it. The only real reason I have to get it is that I've missed every other release of the skiff.

DarkJedi5
03-15-2009, 10:48 PM
I picked up the Christophsis set for my daughter and she loves it. I'd like to get the sarlacc set, but after all the negative reviews I've seen I'm probably going to have to skip it. The only real reason I have to get it is that I've missed every other release of the skiff.

The figs are terrible, but if you missed the skiff before then it's not terrible. Especially now that the price has come down to around $50 (at least the last time I saw one that's where it was). I for one like the Sarlaac, I think it's something that's pretty cool and I never figured we'd see it in plastic. It could be better but on the whole I bought the set for full price and I haven't regretted it.