PDA

View Full Version : TMNT - 25th Anniversary Retro Releases!!

Beast
10-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Some great news for fans of the old TMNT figure line. It's coming back to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Property. So it sounds like it will be like the Retro He-Man line that was introduced several years ago. Coolness!

From the press release for next year on http://www.ninjaturtles.com/ :

On the retro front, Playmates is re-introducing the original awesome 1987 action figure line, twelve figures in all, including the four Turtles, Splinter, Shredder and more. These figures will feature a "tubular" nostalgic 25th anniversary package design with a random assortment of classic TV episodes from the inaugural season.

There were 10 figures in the first year of TMNT figures. So I'm gonna guess...

1. Leonardo
2. Donatello
3. Michelangelo
4. Raphael
5. Splinter
6. Shredder
7. Rocksteady
8. Bebop
9. Krang
10. Foot Soldier
11. April O' Neil
12. Casey Jones

Beast
10-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm actually hoping they expand beyond the first 12.

I'd love to see modern re-issues of Baxter Stockman, Leatherhead, etc.

Now if only Playmates or Neca could do modern versions of the figures. Like MOTU 2000.

bigbarada
10-19-2008, 11:55 PM
I remember these figures being absolutely impossible to find back in 87-88. I don't think I ever saw one in stores until the 90s and by then my interest had shifted to something else.

Michaelangelo was always my favorite turtle, so I'll probably get that one and see if I like him enough to buy anymore.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-20-2008, 12:06 AM
I remember these figures being absolutely impossible to find back in 87-88. I don't think I ever saw one in stores until the 90s and by then my interest had shifted to something else.

Michaelangelo was always my favorite turtle, so I'll probably get that one and see if I like him enough to buy anymore.

I know. I was a wee lad then, but I remember looking for them. Luckily, my mum worked at a Children's Palace (remember those?!?!!) and went through 13 FREAKIN' CASES before she found me an April O'Neil figure. I still remember how giggly and elated I was when I finally got Super Shredder. Oh, memories. :thumbsup:

Beast
10-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Yeah, April was a pain in the rear to find back in the day.

But even worse was Leatherhead. I never found him. Hence why I'd love to see him in the retro line.

JetsAndHeels
10-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Sounds good.....

I'd love to own another Muckman and Mondo Gecko also. :)

Beast
10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I'd love to see the retro line do well.

And then just like with MOTU back in the day, get a modern retro line.

Lord Malakite
10-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah, April was a pain in the rear to find back in the day.

But even worse was Leatherhead. I never found him. Hence why I'd love to see him in the retro line.

And what luck, I have both (along with literally hundreds of other TMNT figures). :D Kind of a shame, being as I was a kid at the time, that they are all loose. Speaking of April, which is the rarer variation of the original figure, the one with the blue stripe on the yellow suit or the one without? I have the variant with the blue stripe.

DarthQuack
10-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I always loved the line from back in the day of TMNT. Lots of found memories of Muckman and Joe Eyeball, and that dude you could put water in his body and see the parts floating around.

JetsAndHeels
10-29-2008, 01:09 PM
and that dude you could put water in his body and see the parts floating around.

Mutagen Man!! He rules.

Beast
12-18-2008, 06:58 PM
It looks like Playmates is doing a wave of figures based on the original comic books as well for next year's 25th Anniversary. There are some rumors that this is one of the issues that is keeping NECA from releasing the 2nd wave of TMNT figures. Rumors suggest that Playmates saw NECA making big bucks with it's line, and forced Mirage to allow them to do a wave of Comic Accurate figures. Which has supposedly ticked NECA off, and now put the fate of that 2nd wave in the line in question. Regardless, the figures look pretty good for Playmates. There will be the 4 Turtles, Shredder, Splinter, and a Foot Soldier.

Attached: Cover art from TMNT Vol. 4 #1. Looks like a good match.

From TNI:

25th Anniversary Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV/Comic Figures

Celebrate 25 years of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with figures designed after their original comic styling! These classic figures represent the origins of the Turtles and feature all their trademark style and accessories. Collect all 4 turtles, Shredder, Splinter, and the Foot, each packaged with a reprint of the original comic. Or choose from figures that recreate Playmates' original 10 figures, based on the classic television series, complete with classic accessories and detailing. Cowabunga! Blister card packaging.

Beast
01-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Here's a pic of the retro turtles.
As well as a close-up of Mikey and his cardback.

I hope the Shredder that they release actually has pants.
The Black Diaper sporting card pic scares me.

JetsAndHeels
01-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Not bad, not bad at all.

Since it looks like there won't be any Back to the Sewer toys, these will do just fine.

sound_asleep7
01-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I picked up Leo, Mikey, and Don today at target, that's all they had =/ I really wanna get Raph and Shredder now. I think my target put these out early cause I can't find them anywhere online or any other store...I'm off to check Walmart now.

Beast
01-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Don't expect to find anything at Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart stopped carrying TMNT in 2008. So they won't get these.

sound_asleep7
01-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah couldn't find any at walmart or kmart...

hmm Ebay doesn't seem to have anyone but the four turtles, maybe the others are coming out later???

JetsAndHeels
01-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Looks like I am going to have to get to Target sometime over the weekend.

Lord Malakite
01-08-2009, 11:01 PM
I can't tell, but it looks like on the back of the card Shredder comes with Krang (the one that came with the "action figure" sized Android body, not the one that came with the bubble walker and was re-released with the "large scale" Android body.

Beast
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I can't tell, but it looks like on the back of the card Shredder comes with Krang (the one that came with the "action figure" sized Android body, not the one that came with the bubble walker and was re-released with the "large scale" Android body.
Yeah. I think that's pretty wonky myself.

And sucks cause we're not getting an actual Krang re-release.

Beast
01-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Looks like in addition to the retro figures, they're also re-releasing the Party Van. According to BBTS it will be out in June. Cowabunga! :)

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=PLM10838&mode=retail

JetsAndHeels
01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Nice!! I never got one when the original was available.

Beast
01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Nice!! I never got one when the original was available.
Hopefully the Turtle Blimp follows.

And then as for figures: Krang, Baxter Stockman, Leatherhead. For starters. I don't think seeing a few more re-releases is unreasonable.

I really wish Playmates would do a NEW retro line. Like we had with He-Man. Bebop, Rocksteady, and more with modern sculpts. Drool.

JetsAndHeels
01-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I had the Turtle Blimp and loved it. One of the coolest toys in my retro collection.

Out of all those toys, the only ones I still have are Shredder, Leo, a couple foot soldiers, and Krang's android body.

Beast
01-13-2009, 10:37 PM
The Big Krang or the figure sized Krang?

I have the Big one. It was pretty bad arse.

Sadly I was out of TMNT by the time the figure-sized one was released.

JetsAndHeels
01-13-2009, 10:39 PM
The Big Krang.

El Chuxter
01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I really wish Playmates would do a NEW retro line. Like we had with He-Man. Bebop, Rocksteady, and more with modern sculpts. Drool.

That would require Peter Laird acknowledging either character ever existed. :(

Beast
01-14-2009, 12:27 AM
That would require Peter Laird acknowledging either character ever existed. :(
Sadly I can't say what I think about Peter Laird.

It would get me banned.

El Chuxter
01-14-2009, 01:27 AM
He's gotta be pretty bad to make Eastman essentially give up creative control of such a lucrative property that is presumably close to his heart. :(

Lord Malakite
01-14-2009, 01:51 AM
Hopefully the Turtle Blimp follows.
Which Turtle Blimp? Turtle Blimp I (http://www.tmnttoys.com/blimp.jpg) or Turtle Blimp II (http://www.tmnttoys.com/blimpII.jpg)? I still have my Turtle Blimp I.

The Big Krang or the figure sized Krang?

I have the Big one. It was pretty bad arse.

Sadly I was out of TMNT by the time the figure-sized one was released.
I have all 3 versions of Krang released in the original TMNT line (Bubble Walker (http://www.tmnttoys.com/89figures/basics/5056.jpg), "large" Android (http://www.tmnttoys.com/giantkrang.jpg), "action figure" Android (http://www.tmnttoys.com/94figures/basics/5160.jpg)). I even have the Technodrome (http://www.tmnttoys.com/technodrome.jpg) which includes Krang's stationary lab seat which was sometimes shown on the show when Krang wasn't using his Bubble Walker (before Krang got his Android body).

Beast
01-16-2009, 12:39 PM
I've seen the 4 Turtles at Target so far. None of the other figures.

BBTS has a case for sale showing a future case. Since right now only the 4 Turtles are shipping. No Shredder, Foot Soldier, Slash, or Casey Jones though. Hopefully they arn't gonna be hard to find.

TMNT 25th Anniversary Wave 01 - Original TV Assortment - Set of 8

This set is to include the following figures:

1x Original TV April
1x Original TV Leo
1x Original TV Don
1x Original TV Mike
1x Original TV Raph
1x Original TV Splinter
1x Original TV Bebop
1x Original TV Rocksteady

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=PLM10839&mode=retail

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't know if I'm remembering right but wasn't NECA going to release a Shredder figure?

Beast
01-17-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't know if I'm remembering right but wasn't NECA going to release a Shredder figure?
Yes. The status of Neca's line is currently unknown.

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Yes. The status of Neca's line is currently unknown.

NECA's always coming out w/ things late. (AVPR toys anyone?)

Beast
01-17-2009, 11:34 AM
NECA's always coming out w/ things late. (AVPR toys anyone?)
It may be a bit more complicated than that.

DarthQuack
01-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Good looking stuff so far!

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 12:23 PM
It may be a bit more complicated than that.

Highly doubt it , it's called bad marketing. That's why Sideshow, Diamond Select, Hasbro, and Mattel all make more in sales.

Beast
01-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Highly doubt it , it's called bad marketing. That's why Sideshow, Diamond Select, Hasbro, and Mattel all make more in sales.
No. In this case, it may be an issue between NECA and Mirage.

NECA's supposedly very ticked that Mirage allowed Playmates to make comic figures. And it has made future TMNT figures from NECA uncertain.

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 12:48 PM
No. In this case, it may be an issue between NECA and Mirage.

NECA's supposedly very ticked that Mirage allowed Playmates to make comic figures. And it has made future TMNT figures from NECA uncertain.

oooooo... ****1138 I hope everything goes fine. NECA's line looked much better than playmates current line (in my opinion) but it'd still be nice to have some of those old 80s figs again

sound_asleep7
01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Well I got two of each turtle so I can keep one of each in the package, and open one of each to display... Luckily the four target stores in my area are all fully stocked... I really would like to know when Shredder and the rest are going to hit shelves. I'm gonna buy like four Shredder's lol!! I'm hoping that they don't cancel Shredder and the rest...

El Chuxter
01-23-2009, 02:11 PM
This line is going to tank, I suspect. I saw them yesterday and was kinda thinking, "Why would I spend that much on a figure I bought for about half that as a kid?" I have a feeling most adult collectors will feel the same, aside from a few hardcore Turtle completists, and the figures don't look have as good as the regular ones on pegs right beside them.

JetsAndHeels
01-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Saw all 4 of the turtles tonight at Target...I picked up Leo and left the rest. I am more interested in getting the other characters, like Rocksteady, Bebop, the foot soldier, and Shredder.

sound_asleep7
02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Looks like wave 2 has Splinter, April, Bebop and Rocksteady. U can buy them on ebay now... Still no word on Shredder which worries me.

Lord Malakite
02-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Looks like wave 2 has Splinter, April, Bebop and Rocksteady. U can buy them on ebay now... Still no word on Shredder which worries me.
There should be one more set (Wave 3). It should have the Foot Soldier, Casey Jones, Slash, and Shredder (with "mini" Krang).

figrin bran
02-12-2009, 11:19 AM

I saw wave 2 at my local Target last weekend.

jamesbondo07
07-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Found these on clearance at Target so I picked up April, Splinter, and Rocksteady.

sound_asleep7
07-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Where is the 3rd wave!! Target is putting these on clearance, but Toys R Us still has them for normal price... I hope Wave 3 is still coming out!!

sound_asleep7
07-29-2009, 01:16 PM
I emailed someone at playmates and she said wave 3 should be in stores by October.