PDA

View Full Version : The M. Falcon novel is out

OC47150
10-21-2008, 09:32 PM
I saw it today at Meijer.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Dang! This year's the hard part, where so many books come out, school's in full force (mainly grading and projects), and my time to read is as rare as a strong, well-written and interesting EU novel. :p I'm about 4 chapters into the Order 66 book, so I might not get to the Falcon for a while.

jediguy
10-21-2008, 10:25 PM
already? wow, cool

when it rains it pours
I am halfway thru Order 66, haven't had the time to get to the new Coruscant Nights, and I still have some older Clone Wars novels I wanted to read before I started reading the Legacy line

I advise picking it up now, before the introductory sales price ends
they always sell them for like 30% off when they are brand new

I look forward to reading this!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm about 4 chapters into the Order 66 book, so I might not get to the Falcon for a while.Well, I have it now. The first chapter's pretty interesting, so I plan to head into this one at .5 past lightspeed.

Darth Jax
11-08-2008, 09:48 AM
since i haven't read any of the lagacy series it'll be awhile before i get to Falcon. but i did pick it up already.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Now about 9 chapters in, this has the potential to be one of the best EU is long time. Good flashbacks, decent "current" storyline, and far enough away from the LegaSee-If-We-Can-Completely-Ruin-the-Appeal-of-SW-For-Our-Readers of the Force plot that I think I'll like it. Never had a ship as a main character before, I don't think, and it's working out quite fine.

dr_evazan22
11-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Finished this last week. I thought it ended better then it began. I didn't care for the ship having some kind of personality, like it wanted to be part of the rebellion, although I did like reading about the MF's storied past.

JediTricks
11-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Hmm, maybe I'll pick it up in paperback. Anybody know when that'll be coming?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Hmm, maybe I'll pick it up in paperback. Anybody know when that'll be coming?Usually tends to be about 8 months after the hardback is released, so by that factoring it'd be around June '09. But I still (when the books are there) go the check-it-out-baby [from the library] method; that way, if it's a bad book, my sense of financial guilt it lessened.

But, I have one word about reading this novel so far that'll bring joy to your ears, readers:

LANDO.

:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-10-2008, 03:29 PM
I am liking this book more and more; I'm more than halfway done. Bringing in details from the great Han Solo and Lando Calrissian Adventures stories by Daley and Smith respectively, summarizing the events of the last 50-some years or so of the SW galaxy, as well as the two main storylines running parallel to each other; Luceno's done a great job. Can't wait to finish it soon.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2008, 01:19 PM
SPOILERS, since I'm now done.

It ended kind of anticlimatically; I was guessing at what the "restore honor to the Republic" treasure ws going to be. I thought it would be a conclave of Jedi, or a storage of lightsabers (but they already did that, on Ossus, IIRC). But making it a logo, and a replica one? Not too good.

But the rest of the book was great. Loved how so many good books were brought into this plotline. And there's still openings for filling in more details later. The "bombshell" comment at the end is obviously a lead-in to the next series; the Jedi will be hunted or become vigilantes, I suppose.

JediTricks
11-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Usually tends to be about 8 months after the hardback is released, so by that factoring it'd be around June '09. But I still (when the books are there) go the check-it-out-baby [from the library] method; that way, if it's a bad book, my sense of financial guilt it lessened.

But, I have one word about reading this novel so far that'll bring joy to your ears, readers:

LANDO.

:thumbsup:Not a bad idea. My local branch has one on order, only 1 branch in the LA Public Library system currently has a copy available and it's checked out, but there's a bunch that have it in queue.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-12-2008, 12:03 AM
This sounds pretty interesting. I'm not really much into post-ROTJ EU, but this could be good if it gives stories from several different eras. Maybe I'll check it out from the library or something.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-13-2008, 07:22 PM
This sounds pretty interesting. I'm not really much into post-ROTJ EU, but this could be good if it gives stories from several different eras. Maybe I'll check it out from the library or something.That's what made this such a great read: it's SET in the post-Legacy era, but with all the flashbacks and reflections on the past, it covers several EU eras. And, they really don't mention too much beyond 5-10 years after ROJ, so if you hadn't read much in that time, you're still caught up.

Tycho
01-05-2009, 02:51 AM
I'm really liking this book. James Luceno is my favorite Star Wars EU author. He knows what he's doing and how to tell a story - and a Star Wars story at that.

Furthermore, this is a masterpiece even by his standards, as it is correlating several different storylines.

I tried to do that with my own novel but my editor wouldn't let me and said I was not ready to try that yet.

I wanted to do that with a Star Wars novel as well - but hoped Luceno would -as he was once going to write The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis. I hope he still is and that is just on hold for a while. But man is Luceno the right choice to do that novel!

Actually, I'd still say Labrynth of Evil, the E3 prequel novel, is his best book. I liked Cloak of Deception, too.

But I'm really digging Millennium Falcon.

I'm not all done reading it yet but it's been a while since I've been so excited by a Star Wars book to make me want to post. It figures it's a James Luceno novel.