PDA

View Full Version : What happened to RPGs?

DarthNihilus
10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
I remember back in my grade school days where SNES and PSOne reigned the console battlegrounds... and a new RPG seemed to come out every month. Some of my favorite games came from this holy era and now... it seems like I have to wait a year for anything decent to come out. Theres been a huge shift toward MMORPGs and thats fine and all but I really do miss my FF series and Breath of Fires.

Any theories on what the hell happened?

Lord Malakite
10-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Any theories on what the hell happened?
As the technology increased (got better), the game developers/producers started putting more emphasis/effort into more complex graphics and special effects that razzle dazzle with "photo-realistic" movie quality cutscenes and environments rather than the actual gameplay mechanics and, to a lesser extent, the story. As such it takes much longer produce a quality game today (especially RPGs which are usually the games that have the most hard hitting and immersive cinematic driven stories) than it did back in the old days. Thats just my opinion though.

Kidhuman
10-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Noone wants to play them with WOW out.

Mister Roboto
10-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Everyone grew up and discovered girls. Didn't you get the memo?

Ando
10-22-2008, 06:32 PM

Zing!

Blue2th
10-22-2008, 09:18 PM
They still have RPG's. If you're lucky you can find one to pick up and blast a dinosaur or a nazi.

DarthNihilus
10-28-2008, 02:21 PM

I never got any memo... you needed a memo to help you discover girls? :ermm: