PDA

View Full Version : Hellboy (3.75") Review

Engineernerd
10-26-2008, 07:37 AM
It's been a long time since I've been really excited waiting for a figure to come out. But, this one did it. I was about ready to plunk down the the money for the box set when I came across the single carded "Red" from Hellboy 2 at TRU. Let me say, I wasn't disappointed.

Check out my thoughts on the big red monkey here:

http://tvandfilmtoys.com/reviews/hellboy_375.asp

Enjoy!
Engineernerd

Adam
10-26-2008, 12:58 PM
I found the "shirt" version that doesn't come with the Big-Baby shotgun. It's pretty much the same figure aside from the variation and missing accessory. I really like it, I may have to pick up some more.

TheRealDubya
10-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Another great review EN. I LOVE these little Hellboy figures. Mr. Wink is a particular favorite.

Engineernerd
10-27-2008, 07:21 PM
I haven't been able to find Wink yet. (The other one I got was Krausse)

Was the the shirt version on a single card in a store?

Adam
10-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Yes, he was on a blister card. I saw all of the others except for the shirt-less version.

JediTricks
10-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Nice review. I haven't seen these in stores yet, haven't hit TRU in a while, but I did get the SDCC version (cigar-chomping head, shirt body, but otherwise the same) and on that figure, the Samaritan does fit in the holster, it looks like the same holster from those pics.

The SDCC version of this figure totally revamped my faith in Mezco, and put them at the forefront of 3.75" figure quality, they're the winners of that scale when you take sculpt, paint, accessories, articulation, and price into account.

TheRealDubya
10-31-2008, 10:36 AM
The SDCC version of this figure totally revamped my faith in Mezco, and put them at the forefront of 3.75" figure quality, they're the winners of that scale when you take sculpt, paint, accessories, articulation, and price into account.

Couldn't agree more. I was at TRU yesterday and they had a ton of these, and had the two above mentioned "Red" variants (shirt/closed mouth; no shirt/open mouth); I grabbed the Red I didn't have yet and passed the DC Infinite Heroes and there was just no comparison. Imagine if Mezco got the Indy license. I think they could do well by that line.

DarkArtist
10-31-2008, 10:57 AM
nice looking figure. might have to pick some of these guys up to populate my Cantina and Jabba's Palace dioramas.

haven't seen Hellboy 2 so I eagerly awaiting it on DVD or HBO or something. big fan of the Hellboy comics and the first movie though.

Ji'dai
10-31-2008, 04:38 PM
I haven't seen the 3-3/4" figures. My TRU has the 7" line though. After seeing that pic of HB fighting those Indy German soldiers I think I'd like to have some more HB figs in this scale. An SS Kroenen and Ilsa would be a great start.

JediTricks
10-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Couldn't agree more. I was at TRU yesterday and they had a ton of these, and had the two above mentioned "Red" variants (shirt/closed mouth; no shirt/open mouth); I grabbed the Red I didn't have yet and passed the DC Infinite Heroes and there was just no comparison. Imagine if Mezco got the Indy license. I think they could do well by that line.Comparing DC Infinite Heroes to Mezco's 3.75" line is like comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo. :p But yeah, Mez could have really ripped up the Indy line, they're doing Freddy Krueger next in this scale and it looked really good at Comic-Con, they seem to have this scale down cold.

haven't seen Hellboy 2 so I eagerly awaiting it on DVD or HBO or something. big fan of the Hellboy comics and the first movie though.It was good, I was glad I saw it in theaters. In many ways, it surpasses the first one by miles. This movie is a much more fully-realized universe.

DarkArtist
11-01-2008, 12:13 PM
grabbed the big red monkey this morning in the East Brunswick TRU. awesome figure. the only other figure they had was Wink but since I have yet to see the movie not sure if I want him or not yet. was thinking of getting 2 of Wink for the Cantina as background aliens but waiting to see.

i think Mezco should pursue the Indy line, i think it would be awesome and a great way for the fans of Hasbro's Indy line to get perhaps the rest of the waves Hasbro showed at Comic Con. the only problem I see is that Mezco would have to re-issue the core characters once again like Indy, Mutt etc, however there is always the possiblity that there versions would blow away the Hasbro line.

awesome news about Freddy Kruger being made into this scale, would also love to see a Michael Myers, Jason, Leatherface etc. maybe even a new line for Evil Dead and Army of Darkness.

Engineernerd
11-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Here's what I don't get. Mezco is obviously making these in smaller numbers than IJ, yet they got them to market. Superior paint, articulation, etc.. yet, the 'bro says they cant make the next wave of Indy because the numbers don't support it... Can't hardly find an HB carded figure, yet Hasbro stuff is collecting dust on the pegs. Could it be Mezco's knows the figure market better?

I can tell you right now, if I have to make a choice between a SW or IJ fig and a Hellboy figure, the Hellboy figure will win every time. Especially if you consider they are a much better value for the same price.

TheRealDubya
11-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Here's what I don't get. Mezco is obviously making these in smaller numbers than IJ, yet they got them to market. Superior paint, articulation, etc.. yet, the 'bro says they cant make the next wave of Indy because the numbers don't support it... Can't hardly find an HB carded figure, yet Hasbro stuff is collecting dust on the pegs. Could it be Mezco's knows the figure market better?

I can tell you right now, if I have to make a choice between a SW or IJ fig and a Hellboy figure, the Hellboy figure will win every time. Especially if you consider they are a much better value for the same price.

I think it is just 100% because of Hasbro's business model of HUGE quantities; they have no financial interest in going after small, niche markets. They are a leviathan, a monster, with shareholders, a board, yadda yadda. And they have the cash muscle to get the license.

Mez, on the other hand, goes after younger, newer, cheaper licenses and, for the most, crushes them. Their comic versions of the Hellboy characters are gorgeous and definitive. While Hasbro did some neat things with the Indy line (mainly the last two waves), they failed the brand. Mezco would commit no such failure, as adult, quality collectibles is their stock and trade, and yet they're still getting some of that almighty children's dollah.

plasticfetish
11-03-2008, 03:14 AM
While Hasbro did some neat things with the Indy line (mainly the last two waves), they failed the brand. Mezco would commit no such failure, as adult, quality collectibles is their stock and trade, and yet they're still getting some of that almighty children's dollah.I'm not so sure that Hasbro really "failed the brand" when it came to Indy. Though I'll be the first to agree that they made mistakes, I think it was probably also the brand that failed them. As much as we all love the Indiana Jones movies, you've gotta admit that the characters have a very limited "eye candy" appeal when seen hanging on the pegs. (And yeah... it doesn't help that there are so many of them out there.)

Your average kid is more attracted to a monster or an alien, than he/she is of a sword wielding Cate Blanchette figure... or a Mutt figure. (Though I may need to buy a few of those Mutt figures if I ever decide to do a diorama from the Al Pacino movie Cruising.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't spotted these 3-3/4" figures yet (and I did drive around looking today), but Mezco has done a great job with all of the other Hellboy lines, so I'm not surprised that these have turned out well also.

jonthejedi
11-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Spotted these Hellboy II 3.75" at MD Toys R Us...very cool looking line. Might have to consider buying some.

Daryl VayDar
11-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Until I read the review above, I did not even realize that there was a 3" line, but it sounded good, so I grabbed "Red" the next day. Man- what a great figure! The right leg seems to pop off rather easily, but I can live with that...
I got the closed mouth w/ shirt version- does the open mouth version have different accessories?

TheRealDubya
11-03-2008, 10:42 AM
I'm not so sure that Hasbro really "failed the brand" when it came to Indy. Though I'll be the first to agree that they made mistakes, I think it was probably also the brand that failed them. As much as we all love the Indiana Jones movies, you've gotta admit that the characters have a very limited "eye candy" appeal when seen hanging on the pegs. (And yeah... it doesn't help that there are so many of them out there.)

I guess what I meant by the "failed the brand" statement was exactly (I think) what we all agree on -- this was never going to be a massive, Star Wars level hit with kids (or even adult collectors, for that matter.) When I say they failed the brand, I mean they approached it bass ackwards, and in fact might have been the entirely wrong company for the license. But meh, spilled milk. I have a feeling we die hard Indy fans will be doing this postmortem for a long while. :yes:

I'm still glad I got me some Indy figs. They're indeed cool enough.

DarkArtist
11-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Until I read the review above, I did not even realize that there was a 3" line, but it sounded good, so I grabbed "Red" the next day. Man- what a great figure! The right leg seems to pop off rather easily, but I can live with that...
I got the closed mouth w/ shirt version- does the open mouth version have different accessories?

i have the shirtless version which comes with a display stand and Red's gun. not sure if there are any variants for accessories.

Daryl VayDar
11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks DA, those are the same accessories the shirted version came with. Is there any news of a second series? After getting Red, I think I need to get Abe and Kroenen(sp?)- that would satisfy my HB cravings.:yes:

JediTricks
11-04-2008, 03:18 PM
awesome news about Freddy Kruger being made into this scale, would also love to see a Michael Myers, Jason, Leatherface etc. maybe even a new line for Evil Dead and Army of Darkness.Good news then, Jason and Leatherface are also in that line! http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=3660

Here's what I don't get. Mezco is obviously making these in smaller numbers than IJ, yet they got them to market. Superior paint, articulation, etc.. yet, the 'bro says they cant make the next wave of Indy because the numbers don't support it... Can't hardly find an HB carded figure, yet Hasbro stuff is collecting dust on the pegs. Could it be Mezco's knows the figure market better?No, it's because of several factors - licensing costs, manufacturing costs (Mezco is using a different plastic with different needs, at using a different factory), and Mezco is a small company so they have a razor-thin profit margin whereas Hasbro needs more profits to afford to keep a line going. Mezco is a little company who works on the niche toy market and they're hardly a success there, they tread water in general but they do it with a smile and they make products that they like. Hasbro is a giant company that works on the international large-scale toy market and they do very well, which allows them to keep making products even though they are made with compromise. They are simply different entities, with different goals. Mezco looks at each figure, Hasbro keeps its eyes on the longterm run of the line; Mezco would be happy to get 2 waves out of Hellboy, Hasbro wants to get half a dozen waves out of a similar project to even bother. Hasbro's business model makes sure we get dozens of background characters done in a so-so style, while Mezco's business model makes sure we get a few really awesome characters and then has to move on.

I'm not so sure that Hasbro really "failed the brand" when it came to Indy. Though I'll be the first to agree that they made mistakes, I think it was probably also the brand that failed them. As much as we all love the Indiana Jones movies, you've gotta admit that the characters have a very limited "eye candy" appeal when seen hanging on the pegs. (And yeah... it doesn't help that there are so many of them out there.)

Your average kid is more attracted to a monster or an alien, than he/she is of a sword wielding Cate Blanchette figure... or a Mutt figure. (Though I may need to buy a few of those Mutt figures if I ever decide to do a diorama from the Al Pacino movie Cruising.)Absolutely, Hasbro's only real flaw (besides quality issues) is that they thought this line would work at all near the same levels as Star Wars, when the reality is that the brand couldn't support it.

By the way, please don't mistake analysis and criticism with negativity on my part, if anything, those are meant to help Mezco and its fans stay real and adjust for realistic choices. Mezco couldn't have impressed me more with that Hellboy figure, they truly deserve to own this scale after that figure.

Engineernerd
11-04-2008, 07:20 PM
...By the way, please don't mistake analysis and criticism with negativity on my part, if anything, those are meant to help Mezco and its fans stay real and adjust for realistic choices. Mezco couldn't have impressed me more with that Hellboy figure, they truly deserve to own this scale after that figure.

Didn't see it at all as a negative to my comment. I was just ranting out some frustrations. I think Hasbro needs to open their eyes a bit, is what it comes down to. I think Mattel saw this with the release of their Movie Masters Batman and a lesser extent He-Man. I also think the 'bro needs to realize they got schooled on how to make a figure in 3.75" scale that is fun for kids AND collectors.

I actually work for a division of a company (totally unrelated to collectibles) that holds the lion's share of the market. But in recent times we have seen that slip a bit. And it's not the number two and three companies making the biggest in roads. It's the new start ups and smaller companies that all together add up to a decent size chunk. It's like the old saying, "Lead, Follow, or get out of the way."

Ji'dai
11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I finally saw these figures in person at TRU this week. Frankly, I wasn't all that impressed given the price point. Although I haven't seen the new movie yet, the figure versions of Wink and Krauss didn't really interest me. I'd most likely get the two versions of HB and the Liz, but the paint apps were horrible. I scanned them and quickly put them back after I saw the $8 price tag.

Mezco's 7" HBII offerings aren't all that great either, IMO. Wink is a pretty decent-sized hunk of plastic, but the others are kinda bland. I loved the figures from first movie though; Hellboy with Corpse is in my personal top ten of greatest figures ever.

plasticfetish
11-08-2008, 03:38 AM
I finally saw these figures in person at TRU this week. Frankly, I wasn't all that impressed given the price point. Although I haven't seen the new movie yet, the figure versions of Wink and Krauss didn't really interest me. I'd most likely get the two versions of HB and the Liz, but the paint apps were horrible. I scanned them and quickly put them back after I saw the $8 price tag.I picked up "Red" (obviously the word "Hell" isn't cool to have on the front of a package at TRU) and Wink the other day. The first thing that I thought was that these are pretty much exactly the same as the larger versions, but smaller. Seeing as how Star Wars figures are retailing for $7.99 at most places, I'm not sure that I'd say the price is too high... by comparison anyway.

Mezco's 7" HBII offerings aren't all that great either, IMO. Wink is a pretty decent-sized hunk of plastic, but the others are kinda bland. I loved the figures from first movie though; Hellboy with Corpse is in my personal top ten of greatest figures ever.Funny that you'd say this, because as much as I've enjoyed the larger figures from HB2, I also agree that the quality was much better with Mezco's figures from the first film. I'll probably do a side-by-side of the basic Hellboy figures at some point, but the difference in detail and paint quality is very obvious.

Still... I love the effort that Mezco has put into these, and have long been a fan of what they do. It's just that with this new leap onto the pegs at places like Toys R Us, I'm a little worried that we'll see them concede quality for quantity.

(And for the record, that Hellboy with Corpse figure is also one of my favorites. :thumbsup:)

Old Fossil
11-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Got both versions of Red tonight at TRU. I like the "shirt" version better, but only because the "shirtless" one I got had a very stiff left wrist that nearly twisted off when I tried to move it; and its elbow was very hard to move, initially.

But yeah, these are awesome and I'll be getting Wink and the others next time I see 'em.

EDIT: After rereading Engineernerd's review and some scrutiny, it seems that the trigger finger on these two I have are different. The shirt version has an extended trigger finger, like the shirtless version pictured in EN's review; but my shirtless version sample has a closed finger, which makes it a little more difficult for Red to hold the gun.

Ji'dai
11-08-2008, 10:58 PM
The first thing that I thought was that these are pretty much exactly the same as the larger versions, but smaller. Yeah, that was my thinking too. Both NECA and Mezco have shown they can produce the same figure sculpt in different scales without much variation in quality. Their previous 18" to 24" figures are nearly identical to their 6" to 7"-scale counterparts. Though I agree that overall quality has dipped on Mezco's large HB2 figures. They just aren't quite up to par with the figures they did for the first movie.

Seeing as how Star Wars figures are retailing for $7.99 at most places, I'm not sure that I'd say the price is too high... by comparison anyway. Eight bucks for a 3-3/4" figure is too high to me. I haven't purchased a single figure at TRU since they raised prices.

Engineernerd
11-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Eight bucks for a 3-3/4" figure is too high to me. I haven't purchased a single figure at TRU since they raised prices.

I agree with you there. If it hadn't been the only place to find HB figures, I'd have probably passed as well. Even $7 is high for a standards figure at Wally World. At that price, it takes the impulse out of the buy and makes me think about it. I've only bought about a dozen Star Wars figures this year, due to the price hikes. Unless I really love the character or can think of a specific display for them, I've been passing. GI Joe was a victim of that, after the price went up, almost all interest passed for me.

With Hellboy, I really wanted the figure. I also realized the whole line would probably be 4 to 10 pieces of just the more iconic characters.

JediTricks
11-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah, that was my thinking too. Both NECA and Mezco have shown they can produce the same figure sculpt in different scales without much variation in quality. Their previous 18" to 24" figures are nearly identical to their 6" to 7"-scale counterparts. Though I agree that overall quality has dipped on Mezco's large HB2 figures. They just aren't quite up to par with the figures they did for the first movie. Scaling down a large mold can be quite difficult. Fine lines on a 7" mold can end up invisible on the part. It takes excellent toolmakers and designers to properly translate that sort of thing.

plasticfetish
11-12-2008, 05:07 AM
...and I've gotta say, after having had my hands on the Red and Wink figures for a little while now, I think they did an amazing job.

Having them opened at last, and getting a chance to play around with them a bit, I'm about as impressed as I can be with something this size. The Hellboy figure is great. I can't really say anything that hasn't been said... but yeah, Mezco seems to have a pretty good handle on figures at this scale. ;)

About the only problem that I found, is that Red's left elbow pin was broken. Ordinarily that would suck, but the thing is built so well that he still holds together just fine.

Wink is a great figure also. While playing around with him, I kept thinking how much like a Star Wars figure he is...

I suppose I'm also thinking now how Mezco might handle, or might have handled a line like Indiana Jones. Something about a line like this, where you know that there's just going to be a finite number of figures offered, and they'll probably all be really good, appeals to me very much. I'm beginning to think that part of the reason why I'm burning out on Star Wars (Hasbro anyway), is because there seems to be such an endless glut of the same idea over and over again.

JediTricks
11-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Nice photos, especially the hovering hand & chain. Photoshopped out stands or wires?

I haven't seen Wink yet, went looking yesterday for these, they sell very well so all I found were 7".

Wink looks like his sculpt would school any nearby SW figures, I wonder if that's just seeing it alone and SW would hold up.

plasticfetish
11-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Nice photos, especially the hovering hand & chain. Photoshopped out stands or wires?Thanks! ...and yes. ;)

Wink looks like his sculpt would school any nearby SW figures, I wonder if that's just seeing it alone and SW would hold up.I'd say it's very much up to the standards of the best large size Star Wars figures. I was thinking about doing a shot with him next to maybe Hermi Odle, but honestly, Wink may have better detail.

DarkArtist
11-25-2008, 11:30 AM
have not seen any of these figures since i spotted Big Red. i hope that Mezco continues to ship them and perhaps make figures from the first Hellboy movie.

Engineernerd
12-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Does anybody have the SDCC Hellboy? If so could they snap a pic of Big Baby next to a ruler? I need it's size for a display project I'm working on.