PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new here...

coffee-girl
10-27-2008, 03:12 PM
and way out of my element. Here's my story.

I have a bunch of Star Wars figures in my attic. They are new, in the original packaging, but I wouldn't exactly say they're in mint condition. Most of 'em, if not all, have a few price stickers on them (marked down, etc) some of the marked down prices are written in red ink... I'm sure the packages have dents or creases.

I'm planning on selling them on ebay, although I haven't gone through the process of cataloging/photographing them yet.

I thought maybe I could get a little feedback before I post them on ebay. For example, will they still be valuable even if the cardboard packaging isn't in great condition? Would it be best to sell them individually, in groups, or the lot as a whole?

Again, this really isn't my area of expertise, so any information that you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!!! :)

JON9000
10-27-2008, 03:48 PM
What era are they from? The ones from the 1970s-80s will be worth something. Those from later eras are almost worthless. Assuming we are talking about 1970s- 1980s, Card and Bubble condition are very important, but certain figures can be worth a great deal of money, even on terrible cards or even loose.

I am looking for an R2-D2 with a pop-up lightsaber on a beat up card. I'd give you are very good price. It looks like this:

http://theswca.com/images-speci/potf/figures/r2-saber.jpg

coffee-girl
10-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for responding.

I took a closer look at what I have.

It's all Return of the Jedi, by Kenner, dated 1983.

Although unopened, a lot of the packaging is mangled. :(

I'll try to put together a list, post a picture.

(edited to add pic)

There are 18 figures in all.

pbarnard
10-27-2008, 05:06 PM
I'd make an offer on the Micro Universe stuff now to save you the ebay listing fees.

Phantom-like Menace
10-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Some figures are obviously worth more than others. If you want to ballpark the prices you should expect, you can go on Ebay and search for some of the figures you have, watch the auctions, and see roughly how much they usually go for.

Otherwise, vintage stuff isn't really something I know anything about as the last vintage item I purchased in package was purchased almost twenty-five years ago at retail.

Good luck, though. It's always cool to see vintage stuff still packaged.

Slicker
10-28-2008, 08:44 AM
I wish I could just find some vintage stuff still in package laying around! I see a few pieces I wouldn't mind having if you decide to sell here...

coffee-girl
10-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback. :)

Here's a list of what I have. My rating scale is pretty basic. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or would like to see a high-res pic of one of the items.

I'll certainly consider selling some of the items here.

UKWildcat
10-28-2008, 12:51 PM
I'll give you $5 for the whole lot.

DarthNihilus
10-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Welcome! I'm new here too... so I guess we can be new together.

Lord Malakite
10-28-2008, 02:54 PM
You might want to make a minor clarification on which Bespin Guard figure you have coffee-girl. The Bespin Guard was released in both white and black ethnicities.

DarthQuack
10-28-2008, 02:54 PM
I'll give you $5 for the whole lot.

I could trouble you for a tall glass of shut the hell up! :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2008, 05:39 PM
There are also several variations to the other figures - for instance, Yoda had skin tone variants and either an orange or brown snake.

And I'll give you $6 for the whole lot. ;)

bigbarada
10-28-2008, 10:48 PM
$7.00!

Actually, the best option is to take some good photos of them, put them on Ebay for $0.99 each starting bid and you'll probably be amazed at just how much they go for. Just be honest about the condition and specific in your descriptions.

Rocketboy
10-28-2008, 11:05 PM
There are also several variations to the other figures - for instance, Yoda had skin tone variants and either an orange or brown snake.I thought Yoda had a green snake.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I thought Yoda had a green snake.
It used to be green, but Yoda's made one or two bad decisions in his day.

Phantom-like Menace
10-28-2008, 11:35 PM
It used to be green, but Yoda's made one or two bad decisions in his day.

Nice! I'd fault you for that, but you just don't get that set up every day.

JON9000
10-29-2008, 08:40 AM
If that Landspeeder is sealed I'll bet it will get some serious money. The Biker Scout should get a good price as well. Aliens on ROTJ cards seem to get $15-$30 apiece.

Slicker
10-29-2008, 08:47 AM
If that Landspeeder is sealed I'll bet it will get some serious money. The Biker Scout should get a good price as well. Aliens on ROTJ cards seem to get $15-$30 apiece.
I was thinking the same thing about the Landspeeder. That was one of the items that I was looking at and then checking my bank account for. I also wouldn't mind having that Biker Scout.

Blue2th
10-29-2008, 10:33 AM
$7.00!

Actually, the best option is to take some good photos of them, put them on Ebay for $0.99 each starting bid and you'll probably be amazed at just how much they go for. Just be honest about the condition and specific in your descriptions.

This is the best advise. I might add since these are so old and relatively rare these days, I would put them on ebay individually.
I wouldn't worry too much about starting them out at .99, because they will exceed your expectations at closing price, and your listing fees will be super low. Make sure you run the auction for a full week also. Don't do "buy it now" or give in to offers from ebay buyers wanting to purchase before the auction ends.
You might also start the auctions on the weekend, so most buyers are home ready to bid.

Collectors are picky though, so take pictures of the full front and back from edge to edge of each item. A good picture is worth a thousand words. If you can get big pics the better.

Good luck.

coffee-girl
11-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I'd be open to selling my items here, if anyone is interested. Just message me with the item/offer.

Thanks for the heads up, Lord Malakite. My Bespin Guard is black.

coffee-girl
11-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Just some random things to add:

*There are a few sealed Landspeeders on ebay right now that are over $1000 - but they're AFA graded. Is it worth it to go through that process? Will it make that much of a difference?

*One of my Landspeeder Bikes is in Canadian packaging (English and French). Is that more or less desirable?

*I also found some GI Joe action figures. There's about 15, still in the package. Not sure if anyone would be interested here.

sith_killer_99
11-21-2008, 05:09 PM
coffee-girl

The landspeeder and the speeker bikes are different. The landspeeder is in the larger box and the toy is orangeish in color. The speeder bike is in a smaller box (with a flap).

If you have one in a Canadian box it will probably sell for a little less than the regular box, foreign packaging is a "niche" market so to speak...fewer buyers out there...though I am one of them. lol

As for AFA...it's a personal choice, the higher the grade the higher the profit you may see from a sale, though it may grade lower than expected which would lower the selling price, if you decide to send it in you want to be sure it will be worth your time and expense.

My personal opinion is that AFA is okay for grading vintage toys like this, not so good for grading newer stuff.

coffee-girl
11-21-2008, 05:54 PM
coffee-girl

The landspeeder and the speeker bikes are different. The landspeeder is in the larger box and the toy is orangeish in color. The speeder bike is in a smaller box (with a flap).

If you have one in a Canadian box it will probably sell for a little less than the regular box, foreign packaging is a "niche" market so to speak...fewer buyers out there...though I am one of them. lol

As for AFA...it's a personal choice, the higher the grade the higher the profit you may see from a sale, though it may grade lower than expected which would lower the selling price, if you decide to send it in you want to be sure it will be worth your time and expense.

My personal opinion is that AFA is okay for grading vintage toys like this, not so good for grading newer stuff.

Oh, I have both.

One Landspeeder and two Speeder Bikes - one in Canadian packaging. :)

If you look back in the thread, there's a list of items.

pbarnard
12-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I want to say how easy it was to get the item I was interested in from coffee-girl. I got it shipped. Packaged nicely. Everything was as advertised. Anyone eles interested in her wonderful finds shouldn't hesitate to ask about them.

coffee-girl
12-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I want to say how easy it was to get the item I was interested in from coffee-girl. I got it shipped. Packaged nicely. Everything was as advertised. Anyone eles interested in her wonderful finds shouldn't hesitate to ask about them.

Thanks pbarnard! Glad that it went to a good home. :)