PDA

View Full Version : Tortured Souls

Deoxyribonucleic
02-18-2002, 06:58 PM
I was just looking at my "Torutured Souls" figs and thought "WOW...these guys are pretty damn cool and amazing!" So detailed and gorey with peeled back, exposed flesh....stretched farther than the human imagination. hehe Could only be none other than Clive Barker.

Does anyone else out there like this toy line?
I wish McFarlen would make the original Hellraiser Centobites...Pinhead, Female Centobite, etc.
Plus the mini story that came with these put together was a great lil novella of which they are talking about making a movie.

Anyway just my thoughts on this cool toyline and wishing Hasbro put that much detail and work into the Star Wars figs...especially the new AOTC ones????? ACK!

:eek:

Wolfwood319
02-18-2002, 07:12 PM
As far as detailing goes, they are excellent. But the figures themselves are a little too creepy for me. If I remember correctly, they've wanted to do a Pinhead from Hellraiser for quite some time, but the problem is licensing rights. They are working on it though.

These characters were originally part of a movie plot that Barker had, but he thought it would be too much, so he opted for figures instead. Now that the figures are a hit though, they are thinking of making it a movie again.

kadamontaga
02-18-2002, 07:37 PM
I picked up the female figure a while back, her name is something like Lucidique. Here are my thoughts:

1. Excellent detailing as far as the sculpt is concerned.
2. This attention to detail doesn't seem to be as consistent in the figure's paint job - I think her skin coloration needs some highlighting or something - it looks a little too plasticy.
4. The detachable plastic accessories (a knife/machete thing and a many-pronged stabby pointy device) look just like plastic accessories - they aren't at the same standard as the rest of the figure

5. Finally, and this is my biggest problem with this otherwise lovely piece - the head is not very good. It looks like an entirely different material to the body and the painting just looks off. This is a shame, as i feel this really detracts from the overall appeal (or revulsion) of the figure. :(

Beast
02-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I think that the figures are pretty cool as well. I didn't pick them up cause I mostly stick to Star Wars with the occassional Movie Maniac for my display shelf. But I definatly cannot wait for the movie that is going to be made. I was always a huge fan of the first two Hellraiser films, as well as Clive Barker's other work.

I am really disapointed that Disney is being real jerks about the Hellraiser license. They allowed Dimension to let McFarlane produce the Scream "Ghost Face" figure, but are holding tight to the rights for making figures of the Centobites. Which is such a shame, because I would buy all of those in a heart beat.

Gimme all of the centobites, atleast from the first two movies. The ones in the later films were really nowhere near as cool. Pinhead, Female Centobite, Butterball, Chatterer, The Engineer, Dr. Channard, and Skinless Julia. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

ConvergeDW
02-18-2002, 09:53 PM
I think the whole line is sick! They are one of the most brutal toy lines that I have ever seen, and I bought every last one. As for the Centobites, My freind used to work for them, and said that they actually have them all made and ready to go, it was just a matter of getting the license(which didn't happen).
I doubt we will ever see them, from Mcfarlane at least.

JediTricks
02-19-2002, 01:21 AM
I was impressed by the Tortured Souls line, I thought that it represented what it was supposed to very well and looked cool to boot. I didn't buy them simply because I am still a bit frustrated with McFarlane toys after the articulation blunders of Austin Powers and the Anime line and Movie Maniacs 3 (or was it 4?), and also because I didn't have the spare $$$ and a place to put 'em.

I hear rumor that Tortured Souls 2 is coming soon, and the first wave characters are going to be used for a Clive Barker film.

Wolfwood319
02-19-2002, 03:39 AM
Yeah, there is a second line coming.

Its amazing though, McFarlane gets branded this No Articulation label, and then this year, a good chunk of the figures have better articulation then most Star Wars figures coming out.

Starfig873
02-19-2002, 12:24 PM
They looked alright, but I wouldn't spend money on them. Not my thing. I only pick up the occasional Movie Maniac and and recently the newest violator.

JediTricks
02-20-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Its amazing though, McFarlane gets branded this No Articulation label, and then this year, a good chunk of the figures have better articulation then most Star Wars figures coming out. I bought a bunch of McF figures, mostly Spawn ones, back in the day because they were cool designs, sculpts, and paint jobs, and had quality articulation. I accepted that 1 out of every 3 had to go back to the store for in-package or freeing-from-tray breakage and each one stank to high heaven upon being freed from their carded prisons, but after putting up with all that, when they dropped hip (and shoulder) articulation in favor of MAC's mid-thigh swivel, it was too much.

All Austin Powers could do was the Twist, all Snake Plisken could do was hold his gun out to the side vertical or horizontal, and then there's Shaft and Ash and Kaneda and those sports figures and all of Spawn series 17 (most of series 17 can't even stand on their own without their custom display bases). Being an "Ultra Action Figure" who cannot stand on its own is a contradiction. If McF wanted to make a line of inexpensive statues, they should have started another line and kept the action figures with action; as it is, Spawn had too long a run without quality articulation and so they're now stuck with a stigma they earned, and while they were making statues, Toy Biz put out a 6" Spider-Man with 32 points of articulation for $7.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-20-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Toy Biz put out a 6" Spider-Man with 32 points of articulation for $7.

I got mine for $4.68 at target :) plus he comes with a niffty wall hanger and you can pose him all sorts of cool ways.

JediTricks
02-20-2002, 03:19 AM
Yeah, that's true, the Spider-Man classics figures do sell cheap in some places and come with cool display bases. So while McFarlane was cutting the articulation down, other companies were raising the bar in articulation and price - thus, McF is no longer seen as the front-runner.

ConvergeDW
02-20-2002, 11:20 PM
Mc Farlane's showroom at toy fair this year more then speaks for them.
How much of this years stuff will any of you be buyng? Probably not too much.
I used be really into his stuff but He is really disapointing me now. The last dozen or so figures that I opened are sitting in a box in the broken and lifeless.