PDA

View Full Version : Transformers 2: Revenge of The Fallen

Tycho
10-30-2008, 12:41 PM
The teaser trailer is coming in the next 2 months.

In May, attached to the new Star Trek, an extended, long trailer will be shown.

The cast:

Optimus Prime
Ironhide
Ratchet
Bumblebee
Sideswipe (silver Corvette)
Skids (green Chevy eco-friendly van of some sort)
Jetfire (rumored to be SR-71, might begin as a Decepticon and switch sides - combines with Optimus!)
Arcee (3 motorcycles combine to form her)

Megatron (might be now called Galvatron) - Cybertronian tank - same colors, not purple!)
Starscream
7 construction vehicles, multiple colors, forming Devastator
Soundwave - a satelite, then a pickup truck, though that's denied
Ravage - somehow works with Soundwave
The Fallen - unkown (comic book guys - chime in here, please)
Barricade? (nothing is known here, but it's possible)
Scorponok? (we don't know)

Jazz is not coming back. His voice actor might be playing another character.

There are no triple-changers. They want to save that for TF3. Get it? "Triple?" That's so creative. :(

There is some kind of transforming ice cream truck. There's no word on whether it is an Autobot or Decepticon, but it may be a combiner formed by Ben & Jerry.

Sam Witwicky
Mr. Witwicky
Mrs. Witwicky
Mikaela:love:
Agent Simmons (Sector-7 was disbanded though)
Leo (who was this?)
Capt. Lennox
President Keller (rumored)

Fig lived through his wounds fighting Scorponok, but the Prison Break actor was not able to film for TF2, but wants to do TF3.

Exhaust Port
10-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Well there's a great selection of both Autobots and Decepticons in this movie that could lead to a great action flick. Jetfire and Devestator are the 2 I'm most interested in seeing of the new robots.

I didn't like the first movie at all but if they can clean up the overdone tranformation sequences, corny dialog and goofy side kicks/plot points I'll be there. I would like to think the first movie didn't exist so I'm going to try and go into this one with a clean slate.

As for the Fallen. He was one of the original 13 transformers who sided with the evil Unicron and was lost into a blackhole in the final battle beween Unicron and Primus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallen_(Transformers)

Slicker
10-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I personally liked the first Transformers movie. I hope this one is just as good.

Rocketboy
10-30-2008, 11:31 PM
I personally liked the first Transformers movie. I hope this one is just as good.Then you are truly lost.

figrin bran
10-31-2008, 12:52 AM
ROTF would have to be Dark Knight caliber in order to make up for the first one!

LTBasker
10-31-2008, 01:27 AM
Leo (who was this?)

Wasn't that the friend of Sam's that he ditched for Megan's Foxiness?

I'm looking forward to a sequel, I've got some slight nitpicks with the first movie, though it's not from Transformer fanboyness as I'm not really a Transformers fan. My nitpicks are mostly just with Michael Bay's style, but despite any nits I still enjoy the movie immensely. I only realized on my last viewing that the Scorpion Decepticon survived, and didn't even take part in the end battle, so hoping to see that again along with more A-10 Warthogs. That was one of the greatest parts of the movie.

Tycho
10-31-2008, 01:35 AM
They got to have an A-10 Warthog be POWERGLIDE! He'd be an awesome, huge Autobot!

Taking lessons from the Dark Knight, Megatron could come back wearing Galvatron makeup and say, "How about a magic trick? Watch me make this Camaro disappear..." :D

DarkArtist
11-06-2008, 01:19 PM
looking forward to a sequel, liked the first, wasn't crazy about it at first but then it sorta grew on me. looking forward to seeing the trailer for Fallen.

i imagine we will se Soundwave in some form or another since we had Frenzy in the first flick.

DarthNihilus
11-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty excited for this to come out, from all the transformers present it looks like theres gonna be a lot more fighting and action. Hopefully we'll see more of Megan Fox too.

Tycho
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Triple-Changers... (from a discussion I was having with JT)

Basically what I said was that all Cybertronians were multi-changers if BumbleBee could do a 76 Camaro and a 2009.

It's just whatever they scan, within their size and ability specifications. Like we don't think BumbleBee could become a small plane and fly - but in terms of the movie franchise - we don't know that for certain either. But hopefully it won't get too far away from G1.

But in terms of TOYS, it's a big deal if a bot has multiple alt forms like Blitzwing and Astrotrain and Springer did. That's a definite selling point for Hasbro. Now maybe in "real life" certain Cybertronians are better at it than others, such if Blitzwing appears as a character in the movie. The other thing is that the character would have to be able to fly in the first place.

For example, if Starscream could also become a tank, we already know he can fly. But Barricade flying? It'd be a harder stretch unless Michael Bay just ignores all that. In any case, if Starscream does become a tank in the movies, it's already believable. If a TOY triple-changes, again, it'd be a big deal.

Triple-Changers are really celebrated in the toy isle.

Slicker
11-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Then you are truly lost.Up yours. I thought it was good.

But what should I expect from someone that hasn't seen The Blues Brothers?

pbarnard
11-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I want to see more of the group hackers. That was the only interesting part/characters of the first movie. Do they have to have any robots in it at all?

Tycho
11-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I've heard a rumor that there will be a "pretender" in the new movie.

In the old G1 days, Pretenders came on the scene late - like they weren't even "real" G1. They were robots inside of living tissue or something (think Terminators).

In ROTF, it seems to be a way to go cheap and not have to design another robot, but have an actor play the part. We've seen this in the Terminator movies. Why repeat it? I like Terminator, but I go to Transformers to see robots becoming cars and planes, not humans.

But the rumor is a small Cybertronian like Frenzy in the first film, will disguise itself as a human. I am not really behind this idea at all. Like I said, I'll go see Terminator (gladly) to see this. It's not what I want in a Transformers film.

In response to the hackers: I could see the Cybertronian Pretender installing themself amongst the hackers. It'd have the skills no doubt.

But things like a female Cybertronian (Arcee) are already making me doubt this movie, as if the AllSpark wasn't a bad enough idea for the first one.

Transformers are something that I've loved since a kid. But there are some serious flaws with how Michael Bay is doing it and they are getting harder and harder to tolerate or dismiss.

My "worship" of Michael Bay is really based on how badly I wanted there to be a live-action TF film ever since I was a child. But I keep learning of things that take it further and further away from my dream.

JediTricks
11-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow, Tycho is finally seeing the light... too bad when the movie comes out, his brain will get overridden yet again. ;)

I think Bay's quickchange gimmick for BB highlighted a huge problem in that universe - what does it mean to have a disguise when you can do anything, become almost any object, and yet your enemies still immediately target you in disguise mode? This is why all the other versions of TF make more sense, it's not supposed to be an easy thing that a bot can just do on the go, it should require effort and outside help from larger machines than ones self. The movie could have gotten away with this despite though, but then the BB crap just buried it in a mountain of convolution.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Pics and whatnot from EMPIRE magazine.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/transformersnews.php?id=7939

Megan Fox in a tanktop? I like this flick already. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
12-29-2008, 12:52 AM
So, you like what is obviously a pice of carp because of a hot woman in a tank top, but you hate Speed Racer, which has Christina Ricci in the shortest skirt imaginable?

Just questioning your logic, is all. :)

Tycho
12-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Let's get up some pictures of Christina Ricci and Megan Fox so that I can give you my professional opinion of them.

You're absolutely right. This issue merits some careful thought and consideration.

JediTricks
12-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Let's be fair now, Ricci is already short so it doesn't mean as much. :p Then again, we've seen Megan Fox in the buff and it's nothing really to write home about, she's a pretty girl but there are plenty of pretty girls out there.

El Chuxter
12-30-2008, 12:09 AM
If appearances by hot women in skimpy attire a good movie make, then Honey and Glitter are two of the best films ever made. Which they aren't. The exact opposite, in fact.

Darth Metalmute
12-30-2008, 09:58 AM
I think Bay's quickchange gimmick for BB highlighted a huge problem in that universe - what does it mean to have a disguise when you can do anything, become almost any object, and yet your enemies still immediately target you in disguise mode? This is why all the other versions of TF make more sense, it's not supposed to be an easy thing that a bot can just do on the go, it should require effort and outside help from larger machines than ones self. The movie could have gotten away with this despite though, but then the BB crap just buried it in a mountain of convolution.

Not trying to put words in Bay's mouth, but I believe that idea came from the original Transformers comic. When the ark crashed on Earth, both Decepticons and Autobots were aboard. Teletraan I sent out a satilite and surveyed data. Teletraan I installed the data into each transformer to allow each transformer to take on a new vehicle mode without altering their robot mode appearance. I believe that the transformers could change their shape anytime they wanted, they just didn't in order to not confuse the childern.

figrin bran
12-31-2008, 01:59 AM
I just read some possible spoilers and it looks as if there may be an "ancient astronaut" element to this film. So we're looking at KOTCS but with robots?

JediTricks
12-31-2008, 03:37 AM
Not trying to put words in Bay's mouth, but I believe that idea came from the original Transformers comic. When the ark crashed on Earth, both Decepticons and Autobots were aboard. Teletraan I sent out a satilite and surveyed data. Teletraan I installed the data into each transformer to allow each transformer to take on a new vehicle mode without altering their robot mode appearance. I believe that the transformers could change their shape anytime they wanted, they just didn't in order to not confuse the childern.
I am not a comics guy, but I've never heard that claim made that TFs could change their alt-modes at will. It's a bogus plot device none the less, and I'm surprised to see I wrote that post a mere month and a half ago, it rings no bells at all (but makes perfect sense :p). I would be disappointed if the comics did this, anybody confirm or deny this one?

El Chuxter
12-31-2008, 11:07 AM
No. Reconstructing them with Earth modes took extensive rebuilding in issue #1. Since then, all reformatting has taken place offscreen, and no one seems to do it more than once, to blend in on Earth.

JediTricks
12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought, and I was confident you'd be the one to answer that since you know this sort of thing. :thumbsup: I even went over all the articles about that on the TF wiki, and the only references to self-reformatting was for the movie.

You know what's funny about the ancient astronaut thing? They could have EASILY gotten away with having a Transformer be it in the first movie, but once they make Megatron come to Earth 100 years ago, it loses credibility - how many TFs can arrive on Earth's past without it seeming like a cheap plot device? (Apparently in my book it's "one" :p)

preacher
12-31-2008, 09:32 PM
In generation 1 comics it was six actually that arrived to earth. Shockwave, th would-be leader of decepticons (eventually becomes the leader in place of Megatron), and the five dinobots Grimlock, Slag, Sludge, Snarl, and Swoop.

In generation 1 cartoon there was nobody that arrived prior to the Ark landing.

I prefer the comic version. If I remember correctly, Shockwave went to Earth in secrecy in order to harness raw materials. Grimlock and his followers somehow caught wind of it, and Grimlock, not being nearly the doofus he seems, realized Shockwave was up to no good. When Grimlock arrived on Earth, he and his followers were rebuilt as dinosaurs, as these were the dominant species. Millions of years later, Teletran one perceives that the Cars and Planes are the species (I guess the computer thought humans were parasites) so the alt modes were chosen in order for the Autobots and Decepticons to blend.

Just to go off on a tangent, there is an excellent book by CArl Sagan titled "Pale Blue Dot" that explains why an alien race would think that our vehicles are the dominant lifeform, and we are parasites. Very good read.

I wish that Bay would have done several things with the previous transformer flick but the three top ones are: 1)Make the robots recognizable. They did it with the autobots, but the decepticons were very lame looking. and 2)Focus on the environmental message not the Cube crap. In these times, economic uncertainty, and the green movement, this plot device would have resonated with an audience that not too long ago had to pay $4 for gasoline. and 3)Not shy away from mass reduction. The stupid cube itself shrunk from ginormous, to pocket-sized. The concept was there and there is no reason why Megatron could've been the gun and soundwave the tapedeck, or maybe a Zune or something. Bay could've had fun with the rediculousness of mass reduction. Alas we got...what DID we get exactly?

El Chuxter
01-01-2009, 01:49 AM
IIRC, Shockwave stayed behind on the Nemesis (though the ship was unnamed, I assume it had the same name as its identical equivalent in the cartoon). This confirmed Megatron's suspicions that he was not as loyal as he seemed, though Prime crashed the Ark with all the other 'Cons aboard into Earth and he couldn't do anything about it. Shockwave came to Earth to investigate shortly after, and landed in the Savage Land (since it was still set in the Marvel Universe at this point). Teletraan-1 (again, unnamed) rebuilds a subteam of five Autobot warriors to blend in with the native dinosaurs before totally shutting down. Shockwave beats the Dinobots, but Snarl brings a mountain down on all six of them. Millions of years later, Teletraan-1 is reactivated during an eruption, and interprets machines to be the dominant lifeform. When the Autobots are facing certain defeat, Ratchet finds a record of the Dinobots being sent off (it's always sorta hinted everyone knows there are more dead Autobots who weren't revived somewhere on the Ark) and dispatches a probe to rescue them, only it revives Shockwave instead. Ratchet, the only operational Autobot, later has to personally excavate and reactivate the Dinobots. (It's especially weird that the crew of the Ark is so small, but Slag doesn't seem to recognize the chief medical officer at all. Eh, that's the Marvel TF comic for you.)

preacher
01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
OK. I thought I might be messing up how Shockwave fit into things. Thanks for the explanation chux.

The whole idea of an alien race's computer interpretting machines as the dominant life form is far more interesting than the Cube nonsense. It would have been a great way to express an environmental concern by having Teletran falsely deduce that the carbon monoxide gas was a waste product of the dominant species. That coupled with the fact that the whole reason the transformers came to earth to begin with was because Cybertron was out of fuel.

Bay and company missed a great opportunity to address an interesting and relevant topic. Its a shame. It would have been a great means to bring the discussion into the up and coming generation's minds. Much in the same way that Lucas used the force to bring religion into the mix.

Tycho
01-03-2009, 10:47 AM
That's what I've been saying for 2 years (about missing an opportunity to use The Transformers' science fiction to discuss relevant environmental concerns). G1 actually did this in an afterschool cartoon show. Orci and Kurtzman don't know how to write!

preacher
01-05-2009, 12:46 AM
That's what I've been saying for 2 years (about missing an opportunity to use The Transformers' science fiction to discuss relevant environmental concerns).

You and me both brother. Maybe not here in the forums. But I argue with my kids and wife over it constantly.

In spite of its failings, I still enjoyed the show. Hell I brought it on Bluray for 9 bucks at Best Buy on black friday. I just see what could've been made and what was made and can only hang my head in shame (since bay has none).

DarkArtist
01-09-2009, 10:20 AM
so i just read over at Hisstank.com that the trailer for Transformers 2 and GI JOE are both going to air on Superbowl Sunday (Feb 1) should be interesting to see what scenes they will show.

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
so i just read over at Hisstank.com that the trailer for Transformers 2 and GI JOE are both going to air on Superbowl Sunday (Feb 1) should be interesting to see what scenes they will show.
Wishful thinking, I'll bet. That'd be a huge get for Paramount, but very expensive.

El Chuxter
01-09-2009, 01:18 PM
It will be a combined trailer, and will show Michael Bay peeing on a MOMC vintage Snake Eyes with fixed arms.

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 06:35 PM
I figured Bay would rip open the package, snap off SE's thumbs and biceps, break his midsection's rubber band thus causing the crotch to separate from the hips and get lost. Then he'd blow up the remaining parts with a cherry bomb.

JediTricks
02-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Superblow Trailer, er, I mean "superbowl"... I fortuitously typed the first one though, and it's apt. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAujq_F_AD0
Man, Bay really is full of himself on this one, it feels like it's trying to be so important.

Tycho
02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Paramount took that one down right away, too. I think they must have it in for JediTricks.

JediTricks
02-01-2009, 03:07 PM
No surprise really, but it'll be online somewhere else legally in a few hours anyway since it'll be airing soon. It was darker in tone and visually, still couldn't make much out, there was a focus on the humans but a little more to the bots than the first movie's teader, and at the end there was what appeared to be an Autobot hanging off a much larger robot that was likely Devastator, though I couldn't say it looked even remotely like the character we know.

Tycho
02-01-2009, 08:02 PM
I saw it on YouTube. There wasn't much you could see. I almost have "no comment" because the teaser didn't tell me anything.

I did think I saw Optimus punched in the face though. Ouch. That must have hurt. I hope Michael Bay is paying him enough to take that kind of abuse.

Oh, Ravage looked interesting. He's a one-eyed cat in this version?

I think I saw SideSwipe transform into the silver 'Vette as well. (That ought to be Tracks, darnit!)

Starscream was threatening Shia LeBouf. Let's see: Barricade got to. Megatron got to. And Starscream can't think of anything different to do?

Anyway, I want to see a real trailer or something about the story and the plot points to the film (or there won't be any plot again? They have Megan Fox and transforming robots. Do they need a plot too?)

Darth Jax
02-01-2009, 10:20 PM
i didn't enjoy the first one, and from the looks of the trailer i'll enjoy this one even less.

Tycho
02-02-2009, 04:04 AM
i didn't enjoy the first one, and from the looks of the trailer i'll enjoy this one even less.

Why didn't you enjoy it?

It had explosions, car chases, and giant robots forming out of cars, tanks, and jets and stuff.

They also made an effort to make it hard core and kill a lot of humans like when Blackout attacked Soccent Air Base in Qatar. That was cool. I'd have also made it hardcore. Stuff gets really good and severe when a lot of people get killed. I at least got to enjoy watching that happen.

Slicker
02-02-2009, 05:17 AM
It had explosions, car chases, and giant robots forming out of cars, tanks, and jets and stuff.Which is exactly the way that Bay preys on people. He figures that if he puts enough of that in there it'll be a good movie. Man, I sound like stilladik.

Darth Jax
02-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Why didn't you enjoy it?

If you're gonna make a movie that relies on CGI (like transformers or aotc) you might as well make it a total cartoon.

Tycho
02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Nah. I always wanted to see real live human actors get killed by giant transforming robots. If they actually constructed them, they'd move really jilted-like. CGI totally solves that problem.

So I always wanted this since I watched the after-school cartoon in 1984.

I will concede that an actual plot would help though.

DarkArtist
02-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Nah. I always wanted to see real live human actors get killed by giant transforming robots. If they actually constructed them, they'd move really jilted-like. CGI totally solves that problem.

i would be very happy if Sam gets squashed in the film. never really liked the character. (reminds me of Daniel in the Transformers cartoon movie).

thought the trailer was alright, at least you see more then you did with the original teaser for the first film. all in all i'd go see it for free or wait till it comes out on cable.

Darth Jax
02-02-2009, 12:26 PM

they tried to have a storyline in the first - they just didn't do a very good job of it.

the problem i have with CGI in movies is the way it's utilized. The "action & explosion sequences" occur so incredible quickly, that you can't follow what exactly is happening on screen.

the other problem i had with the CGI transformers, is the with the toys you could tell that the "robots" could transform into some camouflaging item. The CGI robots were simply robots, the ability of them to "transform" could've just as easily been magic rather than a feature of their natural forms.

Tycho
02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I agree with what Darth Jax posted. However, it didn't stop me from enjoying the movie. That being said, if issues Jax pointed out were resolved, I would have enjoyed the movie even more.

What I'm saying though is that the problems with Transformers didn't stop me from enjoying myself.

El Chuxter
02-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Oh man this is the awesomest!!!1!!11111!!!!!!!!!!!! All you haters need to shut up now and go to hail!!!!!!

Qui-Long Gone
02-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Well the trailer looked like more of the same....which, for this franchise is neither good nor bad.

I love Transformers but wasn't (sham)wowed by the first film and don't expect to be more impressed with this next one.

I assume Megatron returns in this one, and Optimus either dies or nearly dies....and I doubt we'll see Grimlock....sigh....

El Chuxter
02-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't know if Megatron will be in it but The Fallen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fallen_(Transformers)) will! He's the awesomest! He's a big black Transformer who blows stuff up and he's on fire! And Pat Lee created him for a comic that was never finished because Pat Lee was too awesome to pay the bills at the comic company he ran. Or so he says. It's really because The Fallen was too awesome to spend too much time on the page. Michael Bay directing about a super-Decepticon who's on fire is going to be the coolest thing since Gigli!!!!!!!!!!!

Qui-Long Gone
02-02-2009, 04:06 PM
He's a big black Transformer who blows stuff up and he's on fire!

I just had a nightmare vision of Samuel L. Jackson voicing a black Cutlass that transforms and yells, "Will someone get these mutherf****** autobots off my mutherf****** planet?"

oy vey.....

Darth Jax
02-02-2009, 04:34 PM
I just had a nightmare vision of Samuel L. Jackson voicing a black Cutlass that transforms and yells, "Will someone get these mutherf****** autobots off my mutherf****** planet?"

oy vey.....

that would probably be better than the actual film

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Ha. I thought I was watching a joke trailer and somebody had put clips from Pearl Harbor at the beginning. Sadly, no.

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh, Ravage looked interesting. He's a one-eyed cat in this version?Apparently. Reminded me of something out of Heavy Metal magazine, or Robert Williams' artwork (not in a good way, since Ravage already had a look).

I don't know if Megatron will be in it but The Fallen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fallen_%28Transformers%29) will! He's the awesomest! He's a big black Transformer who blows stuff up and he's on fire! And Pat Lee created him for a comic that was never finished because Pat Lee was too awesome to pay the bills at the comic company he ran. Or so he says. It's really because The Fallen was too awesome to spend too much time on the page. Michael Bay directing about a super-Decepticon who's on fire is going to be the coolest thing since Gigli!!!!!!!!!!!Actually, according to AICN and TFW2005,... SPOILER:
=="The Fallen", as I predicted before, is Megatron.==

Supposedly, market research has found that this trailer was the most talked about one of the Super Bowl. How sad.

Darth Jax
02-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Supposedly, market research has found that this trailer was the most talked about one of the Super Bowl. How sad.

all the fanboys that were disappointed by it. they (we) just can't stop complaining

pbarnard
02-07-2009, 04:01 PM
all the fanboys that were disappointed by it. they (we) just can't stop complaining

Talk is one thing. Content of words is another.

DarthQuack
02-08-2009, 08:32 AM
More of a TV spot though than a trailer.....I wasn't expecting to see too much, I'd rather be surprised when I see it in the theater.

preacher
02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=JediTricks;663005]Actually, according to AICN and TFW2005,... SPOILER==QUOTE]

Then who is this?

http://www.tf08.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=223

Tycho
02-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Someone who looks too fake and GREEN for me to buy.

I wonder if I'll be getting many toys from this movie or not. Still, this is a Deluxe I think. They might use a different color scheme for a Leader or something.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-13-2009, 11:10 AM
bootleg of the trailer! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cPDh_Xb_xY

Looks awesome. I can't wait to see this in better quality next week.

Tycho
02-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Yes, that does look really good actually - effects-wise anyway. I hope the story is as good. To me, it all starts with good writing or "good" it won't be.

It looks as if I'll want a Devastator combiner action figure, and probably an Optimus Prime in the appropriate scale to go with it. Maybe any others that fit "the right scale size." Deluxe Autobot cars will likely be too big, and Prime might have to be a minibot to be the right size. These figures are never to scale with one another as a whole cast of characters anyway.

There's just some subsets of them that work out.

I was really hoping for a Leader Class Starscream, too. I don't think ROTF will yeild one now. At least not in its initial toy offerings.

We'll likely get Prime, Megatron, and Devastator - a combiner that forms a size similar to LC but not to scale with the others. Some Voyager series (Starscream?) might work out to be the right size to display with the Constructicons, however.

JediTricks
02-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Actually, according to AICN and TFW2005,... SPOILER==QUOTE]

Then who is this?

http://www.tf08.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=223
Yeah, you're right, my info was incorrect on that matter. Stupid awful looking crap. It's like the last time I said "Bionicle!" about the movie series wasn't bad enough.

figrin bran
02-15-2009, 01:03 AM
Tycho, we'll be getting a 2 foot tall Devastator - that good enough for your scaling?

I'll bet that you will buy more ROTF toys than me! Right now I think I only want Sideswipe and that's it.

preacher
02-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah, you're right, my info was incorrect on that matter. Stupid awful looking crap. It's like the last time I said "Bionicle!" about the movie series wasn't bad enough.

Indeed. In the latest issue of Empire magazine there is some further interesting information. The leak of Megatron as a tank is bogus (according to Bay). He says it was Hasbro's design, not his teams. Not much is revealed about the Fallen, other than he is very very angry for some reason and wants revenge for it. All told there are about 40 transformers in this.
I don't want to say too much. Trying to keep it spoiler free. Suffice to say the plot sounds like a rehash of the last one. Hell, the Fallen, instead of being trapped in ice at Hoover damn, is trapped ... somewhere else. On earth though. Wow. How original:rolleyes:

Tycho
02-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Not much is revealed about the Fallen, other than he is very very angry for some reason and wants revenge for it.

He's angry because he saw the first movie.

Qui-Long Gone
02-16-2009, 06:24 PM
He's angry because he's fallen and he can't get up.

pbarnard
02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
He's angry because he's fallen and he can't get up.

It's not that so much as his immigration status, being illegal and he's not sure he'd even qualify for emergency care being not human...

JediTricks
02-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Hell, the Fallen, instead of being trapped in ice at Hoover damn, is trapped ... somewhere else. On earth though. Wow. How original:rolleyes:I think we all know where that is, but I won't say in case some folks don't know. Still, totally agreed, and I think we even dumped on this film a few pages back for it.

That Devastator toy looks like total crap.

Tycho
02-17-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't know.

I don't get it.

I'm so confused.

JediTricks
02-17-2009, 09:28 PM
It's a spoiler, look a few pages back and you'll see it. It's stupid.

figrin bran
02-18-2009, 12:40 AM
I think we all know where that is, but I won't say in case some folks don't know. Still, totally agreed, and I think we even dumped on this film a few pages back for it.

That Devastator toy looks like total crap.

Yes, we did dump on the film for this particular angle a few pages back.

At least KOTCS will seem a masterpiece by comparison!

Darth Jax
02-18-2009, 08:21 AM
you can't compare KOTCS and ROTF. the prior indy movies were good (at least by popular opinion) and KOTCS totally sucked. the first transformers wasn't any good, so a pathetic sequel won't be destroying the series.

El Chuxter
02-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Fifty bucks says they don't at least go the slightly clever route and have all these construction vehicles form a massive robot, which immediately says in a slow and strangely synthesized bass voice, "Nothing can withstand the might of... DEVASTATOR! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9uyk_jJ6Ns)"

Tycho
02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Fifty bucks says they don't at least go the slightly clever route and have all these construction vehicles form a massive robot, which immediately says in a slow and strangely synthesized bass voice, "Nothing can withstand the might of... DEVASTATOR! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9uyk_jJ6Ns)"

Which is the best reason I can think to have Grimlock in the movie: Right after Devastator says "Nothing can withstand the might of... DEVASTATOR!" Grimlock should wipe the asphalt with him. :D

DarthQuack
02-18-2009, 01:54 PM
I really regret selling off all my G1 DVD's.....they were fun to re-watch. :cry:

preacher
02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Which is the best reason I can think to have Grimlock in the movie: Right after Devastator says "Nothing can withstand the might of... DEVASTATOR!" Grimlock should wipe the asphalt with him. :D

The pics of the fallen that are floating around remind me of the alien exoskeleton from ID4. Some comparisons have been made to Predator and Alien, but I'm not seeing the similarity. Hell of a lot better than the lame toy with the oversized -ahem- cockpit. I don't get why the Fallen is the substitute for Shockwave.

The devastator pic that is out there is very different. I kind of like the fact that each of the construction vehicles are a different color. Maybe he will stand out better. He doesn't seem to have a face though.

What is missing from these movies are moments of coolness. When G1 transformers first came out in 85? My reaction to seeing Scrapper and the other constructicons unite was nothing short of awe. The new animated series has a few cool moments. But Bay's movies just don't have much in surprises. That and the fact that most of the Bay version of fan favorites bears no resemblance to the G1 counterparts just adds to my disappointment. I'm sure the general audience will totally dig this. As for me, I'll be entertained but not awe struck.

JediTricks
02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Fifty bucks says they don't at least go the slightly clever route and have all these construction vehicles form a massive robot, which immediately says in a slow and strangely synthesized bass voice, "Nothing can withstand the might of... DEVASTATOR! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9uyk_jJ6Ns)"Hell, this movie version doesn't even HAVE a phase 1! Stupid Bayformers.

Droid
04-14-2009, 01:35 PM
I can't link to it because of all the cursing, but you should all do a search for the Onion article about Michael Bay signing on to direct a Thundercats movie. It is hilarious.

Tycho
04-30-2009, 03:09 PM
All the special effects and action and drama that is the signature of MICHAEL BAY is applied to some new never-before-scene footage as we experience the huge and awesome build-up to Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen:

Here is a stunt double recreating Michael Bay eating a bowl of cereal! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXGWZxI9lAs&NR=1)

And this is why Ultra Magnus should be in the next Transformers film! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UTMDcS-on8&feature=related)

Tycho
04-30-2009, 06:56 PM
And here is the brand new 3rd Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809943432/video/13222062) that debuted only 25 minutes ago for the first time it's ever been seen!!!

Devastator looks viscious with that sand-suction that eats other Cybertronians. I couldn't be certain, but did he have BumbleBee captured by his cyclone? Could this be the end of the 2010 Camaro? A lot of people are asking that same question right now. ;)

El Chuxter
04-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Wow! That looks almost as visual comprehensible as the last movie!

I will ask one stupid continuity question: didn't the AllSpark fix Bumblebee's jacked-up vocabulator?

Darth Metalmute
04-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Did you hear the slip in the trailer?

As much as they tried to deny Megatron is in the movie, There is a line from Sam where he says, "Megatron wants whats in my head."

Tycho
04-30-2009, 11:27 PM
They show Megatron in the trailer: being fixed by Soundwave under the ocean and then accelerating upwards towards the surface.

That is Megatron.

If the script is on par with the last film, he'll also tell you so. :D

the brand new trailer for your viewing convenience: 3rd Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809943432/video/13222062)

figrin bran
05-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Tycho, that Michael Bay kool aid you've been drinking for years now really isn't good for your kidneys! :p

It'll be interesting to see which Kurtzman/Orci penned film (this one and Star Trek) will be worse.

Hasbro just announced that they would be developing a new animated series for 2010 which confirms the worst fears of myself and other Transformers Animated fans - a movie continuity animated series!

I may not ever need to buy Transformers toys ever again!

DarthQuack
05-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Who's the big arse Transformer sucking up sand at the end?

Darth Metalmute
05-01-2009, 08:56 AM
They show Megatron in the trailer: being fixed by Soundwave under the ocean and then accelerating upwards towards the surface.

That is Megatron.

Sorry, the trailer I saw was the "exclusive first look" on ET. Obviously they were more interested in hearing themselves talk than showing the clip. They didn't show half of what was on the link you provided, including the Megatron scene.:( I was actually shocked that Bay let that line slip. But when you see the full trailer, it makes sense.

Thanks for the link.

Tycho
05-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Who's the big arse Transformer sucking up sand at the end?

Devastator: the combination of all 7 Constructicons into a giant robot. Mixmaster the cement truck, forms his head and face. The back of the mixer barrel opens up to be his mouth, and through that he's creating the whirlwind with which he sucks up and eats everything like he's Unicron or something (at least that's what it reminded me of).

El Chuxter
05-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Not to be confused with the Devastator from the first movie who's a tank. Michael Bay's not big on actually thinking things through.

Tycho
05-01-2009, 10:59 AM
The best way they can correct that now is to say that Devastator the tank's brain was somehow saved and it comes online when the Constructicons merge.

In actuality, "Devastator the tank's" name was supposed to be changed to Brawl. Just like the name Bonecrusher was supposed to be used for the bulldozer that will be called Rampage now (and Rampage was a Predacon tiger). :rolleyes:

I have another solution though: we can call Michael Bay "Brett Ratner" instead. Or what about "Joel Schumacher?"

DarthQuack
05-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Wasn't there only 6 Constructicons in the G1 cartoon?

Tycho
05-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Yes.

This is an awesome video of the Constructicons in action - against the Dinobots even! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BSAUWStWUc) "Me Grimlock. Me kick @#$!!!"

Scrapper - steam shovel and leader of the Constructicons

Long Haul - dump truck

Mixmaster - cement truck (used to be Devastator's leg, now going to be his head)

These names and vehicles above have remained the same since G1.

Hook - crane truck (don't think he's represented in the movie at all).

Scavenger - some kind of tall scoop vehicle (now Hightower I think)

Bonecrusher - incorrect name already used for the mine clearing vehicle in live action TF1. The bulldozer is now called Rampage who was a Predacon tiger in G1 before.

And there is a new Constructicon for the movie I think.

This is cool also: Devastator vs. Bruticus (Combaticons) and Menacor (Stunticons) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0TlZ6VXm9s&feature=related) I think the Combaticons might be the most powerful, but the Stunticons get the jump on them. Anyway, THIS is the way Starscream ought to be portrayed!

JediTricks
05-02-2009, 04:42 PM
That Chevy commercial sucked, and was pre-Transformers since they stopped making the SSR in 2006. I just looked it up, it was from New Year's Eve, 2002 to '03, nice to see Michael Bay being such a corporate prostitute long before he ruined the Transformers franchise with his disease, and clearly he's a 1-note player. And way to follow a Corvette up with a Chevy Aveo! Terrible f'ing car, and it's not even a true Chevy, it's a rebadged Daewoo.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Not to be confused with the Devastator from the first movie who's a tank. Michael Bay's not big on actually thinking things through.
Also, not to be confused with the other Devastator, whose devastation is far more devastating.

Qui-Long Gone
05-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Funny story, last night when I saw the new Star Trek (FARKKING AWESOME MOVIE), the crowd went nuts over the new Transformers trailer....then they were quiet as mice during the GI Joe trailer.

figrin bran
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
There is hope yet for our nation's youth.

A Los Angeles Times reporter gathered up some local teens, the "Summer Movie Posse", had them watch trailers for every film coming out this summer after which they were ranked.

Revenge of the Fallen finished next to last.

For the full story go here http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-bigpicture12-2009may12,0,5421256.story

Among the gem worthy quotes that spewed from these brilliant minds:

The only directors who registered on their radar were Quentin Tarantino -- whom they find fascinating -- and Michael Bay, of whom one of the Posse said, "He keeps making the same movie over and over again, as if he hopes someday he'll get it right."

Ben: "I can't say this got my hopes up. It's just a lot of explosions."

Molly: "And they only said five words in the whole trailer. I'm sure all those special effects were hard to do, but if you haven't seen the first movie, I'm not sure you'd even understand what was going on. And most of what was going on sure didn't look that good."

Jasmine: "I wasn't sure I even knew what the movie was about until halfway through the trailer, and I probably know more than most people, since I have a little brother who's into Transformers. I think he'd be a lot more interested in the movie than me. It just felt pretty senseless."

El Chuxter
05-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't know if they're supposed to be out, but the Target in Palm Desert had the adaptations out already. I skimmed through the graphic novel. From what I saw therein, this movie honestly looks like it will be worse than the first.

The first suffered from having no story whatsoever. This one suffers from a really, really bad story.

Be ready for at least one more "You have failed me again, Starscream!" line from Megatron that makes absolutely no freaking sense in the context of the film.

El Chuxter
05-21-2009, 12:02 AM
No responses?

Anyone else spoiled themselves? Without getting into specifics, I don't know what was dumber: the Fallen and his rather spotty origin that was a sort of half-baked knockoff of the origin of the War Within Fallen, or the characterization of Jetfire.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-21-2009, 12:42 AM
It's all dumb. Don't stress about it. :)

Tycho
05-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Chuxter, I'm so glad there are realistic live-action Transformers movies, but there is no way this movie is going to be better than Star Trek, and (likely) especially Terminator.

Unfortunately, it will probably make more money than either of the other two because people flock to gawk at a car wreck and that's exactly what Transformers will be. Oh - and of course I'll try to see it on opening day and buy most of this movie's merchandize. (Fanboy Alert!) :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
05-21-2009, 03:21 PM
There is no way this movie is going to be better than a kick in the nads. The only movie this might be better than is GIJoe: Rise of Cobra, which I honestly think may transcend mere badness and enter Manos: The Hands of Fate territory to become an unintended comedy classic. (And GIJoe has better toys, since, no matter how much they change the look, they have to keep everyone human.) I don't even plan to see TF2 on HBO, since it would represent two hours better spent cutting my toenails or something.

Once folks are ready to discuss spoilers, I really would like to know if the character of Jetfire is as ridiculous in the film as he appears to be in the graphic novelization.

figrin bran
05-24-2009, 12:36 AM
No responses?

Anyone else spoiled themselves? Without getting into specifics, I don't know what was dumber: the Fallen and his rather spotty origin that was a sort of half-baked knockoff of the origin of the War Within Fallen, or the characterization of Jetfire.

I perused the comic at Target this afternoon and the film is not looking good at all. It's not even a good comic at all and it's one thing to not know what's going on screen but even the action in the panels is really hard to follow.

Jetfire is a bit like Ratchet on Transformers Animated but I fear that they'll go over the top and then some with the old geezer act.

Tycho
05-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Jetfire is a bit like Ratchet on Transformers Animated but I fear that they'll go over the top and then some with the old geezer act.

Oh then I really hope they get Wilfred Brimley to voice him! :p

figrin bran
06-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I was at Universal Studios Hollywood yesterday and there's a section of the tram tour where you pass by some parking spaces. Well, I found two with signs that read "Reserved for Orci/Kurtzman" (Hasbro has an office on the back lot).

Now we know where to put the tire spikes!

Tycho
06-08-2009, 01:06 AM
The sign needs to read: "Reserved for the designers of a fully transforming Constructicon combiner set!"

JetsAndHeels
06-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Oh then I really hope they get Wilfred Brimley to voice him! :p

Jetfire has "diabeetus"

Tycho
06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
So I read 3/4 of the movie adaptation to comic book. It's really good actually.

I have high hopes that this movie will impress me and entertain me quite a lot.

JT brought me issue 1 and I purchased issues 2&3 the other day as I wanted to keep on reading and plan out my toy purchases (I like to recreate my favorite movies).

Now I can't wait for issue 4 to arrive in stores!

Simon Furman who is often credited with being the best Transformers comic writer, adapted this story by Orci and Kurtzman.

The Awesome Michael Bay is going to bring it to life.

Darth Metalmute
06-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Jetfire has "diabeetus"

"Two weeks ago I ran out of Vanilla ice cream and struck Jazz. Then I find out Jazz been dead since the first movie. Who the hell did I hit?"

figrin bran
06-09-2009, 11:04 PM
So I read 3/4 of the movie adaptation to comic book. It's really good actually.

I have high hopes that this movie will impress me and entertain me quite a lot.

JT brought me issue 1 and I purchased issues 2&3 the other day as I wanted to keep on reading and plan out my toy purchases (I like to recreate my favorite movies).

Now I can't wait for issue 4 to arrive in stores!

Simon Furman who is often credited with being the best Transformers comic writer, adapted this story by Orci and Kurtzman.

The Awesome Michael Bay is going to bring it to life.

The complete collected adaptation is available at Target. I've read through it, Chuxter read through it and neither of us enjoyed it.

Tycho
06-11-2009, 12:37 AM
If you thought the masturbation and "peeing on the human" jokes were bad last time, in the moment of shock and awe when the Constructicons merge to form Devastator, one of the humans has to make "a giant robot orgy comment." :rolleyes:

"What are they doing now? Are they making little robots?"

A Transformer: "Nope. They're making one BIG robot: Devastator!"

OK - so it's not directly said that the Constructicons are having a giant robot orgy, but that's what I got out of it.

You'll never look at the Constructicons the same way again.

preacher
06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Great. I can just hear the puns when Devastator does his "sucking" thing.

On a more serious note, yesterday I stumbled upon an interesting video from Fox and Friends that had Bill Nye the science guy as a guest. Appartently the pentagon is working on a new technology called "programmable matter". At this stage of the technology it allows antennas to change shape thereby allowing them to receive signals from different bandwidths. It was an interesting interview. In gest, the host said will we eventually see planes become cars or walking machines and Nye said yes. There is actually testing of THAT technology going on right now. The only thing that is preventing distribution into the military is money.

Tycho
06-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Here's a scene from the movie with Megan Fox (as Mikaela) vs. Wheelie! (http://cinematoday.jp/page/A0002228)

It's pretty funny. Watch it before someone decides the "language issue" warrants it being taken down. But I thought this was a PG movie? Hmmm. This might be a G-rated website though.

Blue2th
06-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Great. I can just hear the puns when Devastator does his "sucking" thing.

On a more serious note, yesterday I stumbled upon an interesting video from Fox and Friends that had Bill Nye the science guy as a guest. Appartently the pentagon is working on a new technology called "programmable matter". At this stage of the technology it allows antennas to change shape thereby allowing them to receive signals from different bandwidths. It was an interesting interview. In gest, the host said will we eventually see planes become cars or walking machines and Nye said yes. There is actually testing of THAT technology going on right now. The only thing that is preventing distribution into the military is money.

Well they are freeing up the airwaves today so there is more bandwidth for other things, like military applications.

Darth Metalmute
06-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Has anyone seen the "Worst Nightmare" scene for this movie yet?
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809943432/video

preacher
06-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Wow. Makes the masturbation jokes "Mark Twain" by comparison.

Please tell me this audio isn't the real deal. Wheelie talking like some badabing badaboom bafoon. Gawd.

Tycho
06-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Wheelie was worse when they introduced him in the 1986 Transformers animated movie - always speaking in rhymes like he was some kind of child. :rolleyes:

I actually prefer this new cussing Wheelie.

So all Cybertronians have blue eyes and the Decepticons all wear red "sunglasses?" Kind of like red armbands, huh?

How come Jetfire has "a beard" but they don't give Megatron an "Adolf mustache?" ;)

figrin bran
06-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Virtually identical to the first one but worse this time around - that's Linkin Park's "New Divide" vs. "What I've Done" but likely to be true also of ROTF.

Tycho
06-17-2009, 01:03 AM
I like those songs!

preacher
06-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Wheelie was worse when they introduced him in the 1986 Transformers animated movie - always speaking in rhymes like he was some kind of child. :rolleyes:

Wasn't Wheelie a prisoner of the Quintessons in the animated movie? Or was he with Wreck Gar. I can't remember. Maybe he acted like a child because he was a child. Daniel identified most with him after Hot Rod became Rodimus.

If they want a Soprano to play the part of a transformer thats cool, but save it for a truely bad mutha. Not Wheelie. In that little clip you don't get the impression that Wheelie behaves that way because he's scared to resist his Decepticon masters (like the profile on the back of the toy box would have you believe). He seems to like being the bad guy! The dialogue does a very poor job of portraying Wheelie as a whipping boy. Course then again I've met a lot of people that talk tough, but when the chips are down their mouths write checks that their butts cash. So maybe it COULD work.

Tycho
06-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Wheelie seemed to be living wild on the Quintesson's adopted homeworld when Grimlock found him in the 1986 movie.

I didn't take it that he was any prisoner, but he might have been stranded there.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Have not yet seen the first movie, so the friend who's going with me to see TF2 next week will kindly let me view part one before heading out.

Also, I saw the animated movie soundtrack in stores the other day; I'd forgotten that W.A.Y.'s "Dare to Be Stupid" was on it.

JediTricks
06-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I was at Universal Studios Hollywood yesterday and there's a section of the tram tour where you pass by some parking spaces. Well, I found two with signs that read "Reserved for Orci/Kurtzman" (Hasbro has an office on the back lot).

Now we know where to put the tire spikes!I missed my opportunity at Botcon to take care of that. ;) I was soooo close too.

If you thought the masturbation and "peeing on the human" jokes were bad last time, in the moment of shock and awe when the Constructicons merge to form Devastator, one of the humans has to make "a giant robot orgy comment." :rolleyes:

"What are they doing now? Are they making little robots?"

A Transformer: "Nope. They're making one BIG robot: Devastator!"

OK - so it's not directly said that the Constructicons are having a giant robot orgy, but that's what I got out of it.

You'll never look at the Constructicons the same way again.Ugh, why does this **** keep happening??? And why do audiences eat it up like candy?

Here's a scene from the movie with Megan Fox (as Mikaela) vs. Wheelie! (http://cinematoday.jp/page/A0002228)

It's pretty funny. Watch it before someone decides the "language issue" warrants it being taken down. But I thought this was a PG movie? Hmmm. This might be a G-rated website though.OH MY GOD WTF?!? "You're hot but you ain't too bright" says the ROBOT?!? What frame of references does the robot have to know that she's "hot"?

It's PG-13, and he says "fricken' house of horrors". The other language is PG-13, the site is 13 and up, it is pretty much the edge of what we consider allowable in context of that movie clip.

And why is everything a wheelbot in this film? Wheel-feet are a MASSIVE waste of energy to keep upright.

Wow. Makes the masturbation jokes "Mark Twain" by comparison.

Please tell me this audio isn't the real deal. Wheelie talking like some badabing badaboom bafoon. Gawd.Agreeeeeeed!!! The thing is, if they had been more consistent with broad characterizations like this in the first movie (beyond Jazz, which I'll say no more about), it might be ok, but not for a character like this. Way more personality than any Decepticon in the first movie, and it's ridiculously obnoxious to boot?

BTW, has Jesus answered a few prayers with this one, or is it just more Bay lies? WENN says that Bay has told them he is outright quitting Transformers after this, and not just TF, but all action films with baysplosions! http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0839146/
I think if this is his real words, he's a total wimp for claiming critics review him before they even see his work. They've seen his work, it's ALL THE SAME AS BEFORE. Every movie he makes is another variation on The Rock and Bad Boys and Armageddon and Pearl Harbor!!!

Shoot for the Edit is also offline, which is pretty interesting timing. (And now it's back online, with no comment yet about this.)

Tycho
06-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Actually, Megan Fox is not that hot. Look at her face. She's not Kristin Kruek or Jessica Alba - and the comparisons with Angelina Jolie? Well I don't think Angelina Jolie is that hot either. But I do like the rear-end shot of Megan on the motorcycle that you see in the trailer. That's hot. But there are other girls in Hollywood that can do it better.

I agree with JediTricks that Wheelie has no frame of reference to work with to decide "what's hot" with a human girl. I guess Orci and Kurtzman think that will be funny if you just let it go and anthropomorphize a robot.

However, even Orci and Kurtzman have established in the previous movie that Cybertronians think organic lifeforms are disgusting (for sure Megatron thinks like that). If Cybertronians feel otherwise, maybe it is like they think of us as pets - such as BumbleBee being Sam's guardian.

I disagree with Decepticons lacking personalities in the first film. Frenzy had a lot going for him - he just didn't speak in English. There's another that thought of humans as insects, btw.

Oh, and I agree again about "wheelbots," but mostly for the toys. The Cybertronians can have brakes in their reality. But in the first film, Bonecrusher "skated" through that bus if you recall.

As to Bay quitting Transformers? He can't! He must see the last one through! He doesn't write this stuff. Nor does he probably care either. But maybe JJ Abrams can direct? Or even Steven Spielberg (then there can even be Dinobots) and the Autobots will lose many raiding a beach held by entrenched Decepticons.

OH: Figrin: At Universal Studios, do they still have E.T. figures the size of Star Wars 3 3/4"? I'd love about 8 of those to use in TPM and AOTC Senate scenes if the scale is right.

figrin bran
06-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Actually, Megan Fox is not that hot. Look at her face. She's not Kristin Kruek or Jessica Alba - and the comparisons with Angelina Jolie? Well I don't think Angelina Jolie is that hot either. But I do like the rear-end shot of Megan on the motorcycle that you see in the trailer. That's hot. But there are other girls in Hollywood that can do it better.

I agree with JediTricks that Wheelie has no frame of reference to work with to decide "what's hot" with a human girl. I guess Orci and Kurtzman think that will be funny if you just let it go and anthropomorphize a robot.

However, even Orci and Kurtzman have established in the previous movie that Cybertronians think organic lifeforms are disgusting (for sure Megatron thinks like that). If Cybertronians feel otherwise, maybe it is like they think of us as pets - such as BumbleBee being Sam's guardian.

I disagree with Decepticons lacking personalities in the first film. Frenzy had a lot going for him - he just didn't speak in English. There's another that thought of humans as insects, btw.

Oh, and I agree again about "wheelbots," but mostly for the toys. The Cybertronians can have brakes in their reality. But in the first film, Bonecrusher "skated" through that bus if you recall.

As to Bay quitting Transformers? He can't! He must see the last one through! He doesn't write this stuff. Nor does he probably care either. But maybe JJ Abrams can direct? Or even Steven Spielberg (then there can even be Dinobots) and the Autobots will lose many raiding a beach held by entrenched Decepticons.

OH: Figrin: At Universal Studios, do they still have E.T. figures the size of Star Wars 3 3/4"? I'd love about 8 of those to use in TPM and AOTC Senate scenes if the scale is right.

Hmmm...I don't recall seeing any E.T. figures of any size, let alone SW 3.75" scale. I could be wrong on this as I didn't scour all the shops looking for them but I only remember seeing plush E.T.'s.

Slicker
06-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Actually, Megan Fox is not that hot. Look at her face. Ummm...are we talking about the same Megan Fox here? Oh, I get it! You were joking! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Tycho
06-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Slick, Megan Fox has her moments, but Kristin Kruek and Jessica Alba, maybe Ashley Tisdale, and other celeb ladies have EVERY moment!

Imagine for just one moment it was Kristin Kruek bending over that motorcycle in loose Daisy Dukes...

JetsAndHeels
06-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Imagine for just one moment it was Kristin Kruek bending over that motorcycle in loose Daisy Dukes...

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. And STRONGLY DISAGREE.

Kristin Kreuk is by no means an ugly girl at all, but there is no way she is hotter than Megan Fox.

Slicker
06-20-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. And STRONGLY DISAGREE.

Kristin Kreuk is by no means an ugly girl at all, but there is no way she is hotter than Megan Fox.I must agree with J&H. Kristin is hot as hell but she's got a couple of snaggle teeth (ala Kirsten Dunst. Although not nearly as bad) whereas Megan Fox nas flawlessly white teeth. After being in Japan and seeing teeth that jut every which way and in every shade of nasty imagineable having a good set of teeth is a big thing now. Megan Fox also has an amazing stomach.

DarthBrandon
06-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Slick, Megan Fox has her moments, but Kristin Kruek and Jessica Alba, maybe Ashley Tisdale, and other celeb ladies have EVERY moment!

I also have to disagree strongly about this as well. Megan Fox kicks the crap out of all these girls with the exception of Alba. Megan still wins hands down on sex appeal alone, along with the great bod, teeth, eyes etc that she has. The only bad thing is the tats & I can definitely look past those.:yes::D

Kristin Kruek is hot, but she does not have the fox bod or teeth IMHO.

Slicker
06-20-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't really mind tats on females at all but it's the placement of and the subject matter on Fox that's unappealing.

preacher
06-21-2009, 10:06 AM
BTW, has Jesus answered a few prayers with this one, or is it just more Bay lies? WENN says that Bay has told them he is outright quitting Transformers after this, and not just TF, but all action films with baysplosions! http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0839146/
I think if this is his real words, he's a total wimp for claiming critics review him before they even see his work. They've seen his work, it's ALL THE SAME AS BEFORE. Every movie he makes is another variation on The Rock and Bad Boys and Armageddon and Pearl Harbor!!!

Shoot for the Edit is also offline, which is pretty interesting timing. (And now it's back online, with no comment yet about this.)

Wow. What a whiney little *****. Dude should never have become a director if he can't take the criticism. You know for all of George Lucas's faults he never whined like this. Criticism of his prequels lead him to finding real talented writers to develope Clone Wars which is superior to his prequels. Maybe if Bay would actually listen to people he wouldn't be such a cliche'ed director.

Well whoever takes the helm I hope that the franchise sticks with the design of the transformers as they are now. God knows I'm not a huge fan of the designs and I've done my share of complaints about how retarded Starscream and Megatron look, but to muck with that now would be very stupid. But having not seen ROTF yet I may change my tune afterward.

Tycho
06-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I think they have the makings of good character writing right there: just have Starscream ACT like Michael Bay, and you've nailed the character!

Michael Bay said he'd quit Transformers last time, too.

Then it made him a ton of money and even more famous.

I wouldn't be surprised if he sees a trilogy through.

However, everything doesn't have to be a trilogy.

There were several seasons worth of episodes for the G1 series. These movies could go on - even to restoring Cybertron or exploring other planets.

However, the basic premiss is that Transformers turn themselves into earth vehicles for disguises. That's part of their thrill.

How about the Cybertronians disguise themselves as our NASA vehicles, and accidentally trigger an attack on earth by aliens who mistook the Cybertronians as earthlings because of the vehicles they observed? (Astrotrain could definitely be in this one, as could SkyLynx, maybe Cyclonus and Scourge, etc. etc.)

So the Transformers have to return to earth to defend us (the Autobots anyway) and the Decepticons come back to pursue "the next McGuffin."

preacher
06-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Now that the complete Transformers series is coming out on DVD, does anybody know if there are plans to release the Headmasters and other series that were shown in Japan only? Seems to me this would be a good time to do this. While the iron is "HOT".

Tycho
06-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Maybe Brian Austin Green will post here and reveal to us if Megan Fox is the new Headmaster. :D

preacher
06-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Nice tie-in to the previous topic there Tycho. And yes Meg Fox would be an excellent "head"master. I'll just go ahead and weigh in on the Meg Fox discussion. The Tats are a no go for me. She would look absolutely stunning if she had no ink on her. She buries Angelina Jolie even with the Tats. It will be interesting to see if she gets more acting gigs on her acting merits or if she is doomed to be just another pretty face for the screen a-la Hayden Christiansen.

JediTricks
06-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Language is getting inappropriate in here, guys.

"Don't make me destroy you!" - Darth Vader

I disagree with Decepticons lacking personalities in the first film. Frenzy had a lot going for him - he just didn't speak in English. There's another that thought of humans as insects, btw.Wow, 1 guy who doesn't even talk to the other robots aside from Barricade. Way to bring the exception and claim it as the rule.

As to Bay quitting Transformers? He can't! He must see the last one through! He doesn't write this stuff. Nor does he probably care either. But maybe JJ Abrams can direct? Or even Steven Spielberg (then there can even be Dinobots) and the Autobots will lose many raiding a beach held by entrenched Decepticons.Bay is a hack, and he's a hack that was already making noises about quitting Transformers, even if now he isn't quitting action films altogether. They'll just get another hack to incompetently fumble their way through the 3rd movie the way the first one was and the second one most likely will be.

I must agree with J&H. Kristin is hot as hell but she's got a couple of snaggle teeth (ala Kirsten Dunst. Although not nearly as bad) whereas Megan Fox nas flawlessly white teeth. After being in Japan and seeing teeth that jut every which way and in every shade of nasty imagineable having a good set of teeth is a big thing now. Megan Fox also has an amazing stomach.Eh, dental work isn't that expensive, and she's got some big front teeth actually, you just don't see them much because she NEVER SMILES. Pretty sure they're caps or veneers anyway.

Wow. What a whiney little *****. Dude should never have become a director if he can't take the criticism. You know for all of George Lucas's faults he never whined like this. Criticism of his prequels lead him to finding real talented writers to develope Clone Wars which is superior to his prequels. Maybe if Bay would actually listen to people he wouldn't be such a cliche'ed director.Bay has always seemed to me like a complete tool who can't take what he dishes out. And yeah, what really makes me laugh is that Bay is wounded by the criticism, but zero of it gets through that thick skull of his, not 1 iota has ever rung true in his ears despite much of it being totally accurate. If he wants to silence critics, he shouldn't make the same damned movie over and over again, he should try making a new movie with some quality to it. But he's too busy being a sellout ***** ruining even popcorn entertainment by dumbing everything down to the bare essence.

Michael Bay said he'd quit Transformers last time, too.

Then it made him a ton of money and even more famous.No, he said he'd quit TF *this* time, during the last one he started talking about making this one. During the making of this one he started talking about not making the next one until at least 2012, in response to Paramount saying he'd make it in 2011.

Now that the complete Transformers series is coming out on DVD, does anybody know if there are plans to release the Headmasters and other series that were shown in Japan only? Seems to me this would be a good time to do this. While the iron is "HOT".According to the writers' panel at Botcon, there is not. Apparently they were considering using Headmasters but the show had a drunk robot and they couldn't use that on tv here.

Maybe Brian Austin Green will post here and reveal to us if Megan Fox is the new Headmaster. :DWell, as she loses more and more weight, she does start to look like her head is way too large for her body and about to fall off.

2-1B
06-23-2009, 08:53 PM
So, without using any spoilers,
I read 2 reviews today that absolutely trashed this movie...it sounds hilarious, I can't wait to see it. lol

One of the reviews described a pair of Autobots as "Jar Jar Binks in car form."

Another review called this movie "the worst Revenge since Montezuma's."

pbarnard
06-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Quick, find a positive review of this movie or the Easter Bunny.

Tycho
06-24-2009, 05:53 AM
I'll give it a positive review. I just saw Revenge of the Fallen an hour ago!

The theater was packed and there were lots of girls - some wearing Decepticon women's wear. (Guys wouldn't really wear Decepticon halter-tops).

The audience shouted out and "Ooooh'd and aaaawwwd" and laughed and went "eeeewwwww!" especially at seeing some characters with their pants down.

I really enjoyed this movie and had a fun time watching it.

It did NOT have the emotional impact upon me as the 1996 movie did when Optimus Prime died - though they went for that.

Actually, Simon Furman's adaptation of the movie into comic book form had better writing in some areas:

Specifically, Optimus Prime's regrets at having to kill Decepticons and there being "no other way" to reconcile with them.

Also a plot point I question is why use the AllSpark splinter on JetFire when they might have just taken THAT to revive Optimus Prime? Then again, Prime didn't seem to know the language of the Primes or else he could have translated the symbols for Sam when they met in the graveyard.

Everything I'm posting is pretty much available in the comic or revealed in the previews (well almost).

I VOTE WE DISCUSS THE MOVIE WITH SPOILERS NOW! ***

Stop reading this thread if you haven't seen the movie and want to be surprised (however you won't be surprised by anything anyway).

Oh - except for the humping scene - remind me to discuss that later. I'm sure it will be Megan Fox's most memorable sex scene in her whole career. And I thought I'd seen everything....

*** My next post will probably contain spoilers as it's silly to not discuss something when people can just go out and watch the film before they click on this link.

BTW: Transformers is not my top summer movie. Star Trek is.

1. Star Trek
2. Wolverine
3. Transformers
4. Terminator

We'll see where GI Joe falls in there, but Star Trek takes top honors.

I will discuss Transformers in more detail once any spoiler crybabies have their say, as I know I don't have the right to make that decision for all the rest of you (if you give me a compelling reason). If not, I can't wait to just yammer on about the film, but this has been my attempt to be considerate of others. :tired:

JEDIpartner
06-24-2009, 07:49 AM
I'll give it a positive review. I just saw Revenge of the Fallen an hour ago!

[snip]

BTW: Transformers is not my top summer movie. Star Trek is.

1. Star Trek
2. Wolverine
3. Transformers
4. Terminator

We'll see where GI Joe falls in there, but Star Trek takes top honors.

Wow!! Glad you liked the movie. I've read nothing but savagely bad reviews of this movie this morning. I guess it's really up to the fans/moviegoers, isn't it!

I told you that you'd like Star Trek the best!! :love:

G.I. Joe looks like it's in for a rough ride. Apparently, it's tested the worst of any film ever released by Paramount. That's really saying something considering all the garbage the big studios have released in the last 30 years!! YIKES!!!

Darth Metalmute
06-24-2009, 08:10 AM
The problem with review are, especially the ones I've read, they send the reviewer that has no idea what a Transformer is. You don't have to be a fan of the franchise but at least know what one is, they've been around for 25 years.

I read Roger Ebert's review and it's almost as if he never knew there was a first movie, as if senility has hit.

Some of the reviews said they had no idea what the "Bots" were talking about. No kidding?!? Thats because you supposed to review films like "Milk" not a Science Fiction flim.

It's not a coincidence that reviews from E and Entertainment Weekly gave it positive reviews, while reviewers that would rather be watching "The Piano"
gave it negative reviews.

El Chuxter
06-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm going to disagree with the "art film vs science fiction" statement. At this point, there have been far too many science fiction, fantasy, and action films that are, simply put, good films, to feel the need to go to a mind-numbingly stupid movie to get the explosions. Batman Begins, Lord of the Rings, X-Men, even the Star Wars prequels (for all their many faults) had story in addition to the cool flashiness.

I've been collecting, reading about, and watching Transformers for 25 years. I still have no clue what the hell the things calling themselves Transformers in this film franchise are. There is a point where you get so far removed from the source material, there's no reason to use the name except to try to sell the movie. Sort of like the 1980s Masters of the Universe movie, which also kept two or three characters almost recognizable and totally changed everything else about the entire franchise.

Hmmm.... Transformers/Masters of the Universe seems almost a fitting comparison, except that MOTU was "so bad it's funny." Transformers is just bad.

And not just because it's brainless. "Brainless" isn't the same as "insulting to the intelligence of viewers." A film like Speed Racer isn't exactly Shakespeare, but it knows what it is and stays consistent within its framework. A movie about kids' toys that revolves around vapid racial stereotypes (and I'm just talking about the first, though I've heard the second is even worse), plot holes, and masturbation jokes is a train wreck in the making.

I've no doubt the critics have more knowledge of and love for Transformers than you give them credit for. But loving Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert never made Highlander 2 suck any less.

Mvader91
06-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm going to disagree with the "art film vs science fiction" statement. At this point, there have been far too many science fiction, fantasy, and action films that are, simply put, good films, to feel the need to go to a mind-numbingly stupid movie to get the explosions. Batman Begins, Lord of the Rings, X-Men, even the Star Wars prequels (for all their many faults) had story in addition to the cool flashiness.

I've been collecting, reading about, and watching Transformers for 25 years. I still have no clue what the hell the things calling themselves Transformers in this film franchise are. There is a point where you get so far removed from the source material, there's no reason to use the name except to try to sell the movie. Sort of like the 1980s Masters of the Universe movie, which also kept two or three characters almost recognizable and totally changed everything else about the entire franchise.

Hmmm.... Transformers/Masters of the Universe seems almost a fitting comparison, except that MOTU was "so bad it's funny." Transformers is just bad.

And not just because it's brainless. "Brainless" isn't the same as "insulting to the intelligence of viewers." A film like Speed Racer isn't exactly Shakespeare, but it knows what it is and stays consistent within its framework. A movie about kids' toys that revolves around vapid racial stereotypes (and I'm just talking about the first, though I've heard the second is even worse), plot holes, and masturbation jokes is a train wreck in the making.

I've no doubt the critics have more knowledge of and love for Transformers than you give them credit for. But loving Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert never made Highlander 2 suck any less.
:love:I guess for me, there are some things I would like to change. These are not deal breakers. I guess the thing that stood out most is that both times I saw the movie, different locations the crowd was cheering and clapping at the end.I guess that is what matters. Again, we are talking about Robots fighting humans!!!

preacher
06-24-2009, 03:42 PM
When the writer's strike was announced the sensible thing would've been to put the movie on hiatus. But what was Bay's response? Start production using a 17 page treatment and then shoe horn Kurtzman and Orci's screenplay one page at a time up until about a month ago. And apparently this lack of structure is translated into Transformers 2. Rather than make a quality product Bay was determined to make schedule. He is truly a product of corporate giants if he thinks meeting schedule is what matters. Schedule is important, but to forsake the integrity of a product just to meet it? Not a good call.

I won't see this in the theater. I've seen enough clips, the latest being Joe Pesci as Wheelie, that I just know I would be rolling my eyes.

pbarnard
06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
A CNN staffer/TF-Fanboy called it the worst thing since Howard the Duck.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/24/transformers.reviews/index.html

Darth Metalmute
06-24-2009, 04:07 PM
A CNN staffer/TF-Fanboy called it the worst thing since Howard the Duck.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/24/transformers.reviews/index.html

My favorite is from Matt Pais of the Chicago Sun Times. "A 150-minute simulation of life in a garbage disposal."

Tycho
06-24-2009, 08:55 PM
OK, seeing no objections, I'm starting to discuss real specific spoilers NOW.

I'm going to do this via character discussion.

The Decepticons.

I seemed to notice that when Megatron is located under the sea by Soundwave's satellite hack, the Constructicons kill other more vulnerable Decepticons that arrive on the scene and the insectoid "repair / doctor robots" use their parts to rebuild Megatron. That is awesome and shows how brutal and dog-eat-dog the Decepticons are. But I'm not sure of what I saw, as I only viewed this once, and it was dark on the ocean bottom and of course many of the robots looked alike and were the same color, or hard to distinguish under the ocean. However, the movie showed Cybertronian racial heritage to cause most Cybertronians to look alike (to us anyway) until they scan and adopt certain earth-vehicle modes that cause their bodies to be significantly altered (like Long Haul's green parts).

Megatron - I loved seeing him beat Starscream with Starscream's own dismembered arm he went carrying around until he got it reattached. (Optimus cut it off). That was funny but done seriously so it wasn't trying to hard to be funny.

Megatron's motivations for serving The Fallen weren't as well fleshed-out in the movie as in Simon Furman's comic. Megatron wanted to be a Prime in a new Order of Primes (The Fallen was once one who killed the other 11, and Optimus was hidden as a newborn and escaped this destruction). But this is elaborated in the comic and should have been explained better in the movie. You only get that The Fallen is Megatron's master until The Fallen is eliminated by Optimus Prime. (Then Megatron, vowing revenge, escapes with Starscream and announces his plan to continue wreaking havoc upon Optimus' leadership.) However, you also learn from both the comic and the movie, that many Decepticons believe they are serving their rightful ruler, as The Fallen is (to them) the last Prime, an heir and leader of Cybertron. Optimus is new blood in a way - sort of like the Islamic schism of Shiite and Sunni and their clash over who is Mohammed's true heir. It works for the reason for the Cybertron Civil War. (This kind of new info makes this movie so much better than the first one for sure.)

I'll post more later, as I have dinner plans right now.

JetsAndHeels
06-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Now that I have had some time to think about the film, I will post my thoughts.

This was a typical Michael Bay film. Special effects/explosions/CGI galore....story, well, not so much.

Don't get me wrong, there were some good scenes, like the forest battle. That was one of my favorite parts of the film. It was fun to watch.

The "final" battle in the desert took FOREVER. Geez, I caught myself checking my watch several times during the whole thing. That is why the forest battle worked for me...it flowed well, and was brief enough to not get stale. The battle scenes in Egypt/Jordan were too long, period.

Optimus Prime was very good in the film.

I like how Soundwave was handled in the film. He got more screentime than I thought.

Ravage is very cool looking on screen.

Someone please tell Sam's mother to shut the hell up. Her act is not funny.

Why does Michael Bay have to use stupid humor to try to win us over? Most of the attempts at humor in this movie were failures IMO.

For some reason Bay wanted us to get a shot of Simmons' rear end in his tight underwear. And on the same token we had to be subjected to Devastator's "testicles." Why, oh why?

All in all, I feel that this movie is right on about the same level as the first. Alot of boom and pow and other flashy stuff....not much story or substance.

Tycho
06-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Continued from above.

Starscream - he was finally done justice (a little which comes a little late) as we see him to act cowardly when convenient, but secretly crave power: "I just HAD to take over the Decepticons Megatron because you were gone and someone had to rally our troops. Of course I planned to come back for you once we had reinforcements."

I still love it that Megatron beats him with Starscream's own arm!

But what the heck was Starscream doing in that one scene on the Nemisis? He was spawning some kind of offspring that popped out of him and seconds later died? (from lack of Energon)

Soundwave (voiced by Frank Welker once more!!!) did not sound like Soundwave, but rather Welker's G1 Megatron. WTF? However, Soundwave just spends the entire movie as a satellite (maybe using the jet mode to maneuver to the US government's satellite in order to hack it). But he does launch Ravage. I loved Ravage's Insecticon fleas, btw! However, I remember from G1 when Soundwave was most threatening by just being a walkman that someone like Spike (Sam) would pick up and bring back to The Ark (G1 Autobot headquarters in their crashed carrier ship) and Soundwave would stay disguised and spy on Optimus Prime. His function as a satellite accomplished very much the same thing and I approve of his use in the movie. Still I would have preferred Welker doing the traditional Soundwave voice rather than the old Megatron. Soundwave got a huge cheer from the Old School fan audience every time he appeared (especially when he launched Ravage) but you never know - the audience could have been cheering upon hearing Frank Welker's voice once again. It was probably a case of both.

Scorponok grew a new tail. I think JetFire terminated him, getting a fatal wound in the process.

I saw another BoneCrusher-esqe mine-clearing vehicle Decepticon but he was never again really featured unless I missed his non-consequential other appearance.

Blackout was now Grindor - the same kind of helicopter - with several large focus-of-the-scene appearances in both modes, but no dialogue. This was really a different Cybertronian who scanned the same kind of vehicle. I hope his featured appearances will justify a Leader Class toy. Brawl got one without dialogue, OK? (I think helicopters are cool)

Barricade was still missing unless the story goes that he was Sideways in this film, but a name change is just stupid unless they develop a story around it - which they did not. SideSwipe splits him in half straight down the middle and that's all there is to that. Sideways is still a cool toy and I recommend picking him up - if nothing else to fight the Scout Class motorcycles or SideSwipe.

The Fallen - Tony Todd's voice was obvious because I'm a Star Trek fan. He played Captain Sisko's son in the future and he was most famous for playing Worf's brother, the Klingon High Council Member, Kern. He was also a Hirogen hunter on Voyager. It was a bit distracting because I already knew the voice from other characters and I would have done some electronic enhancement to it or something else to make him sound as special as he was meant to be (a former Prime no less). I don't think he transformed once in the movie, but I'll have to see it another time. Who cares though? He doesn't use an earth-vehicle-mode and that's the real appeal of Transformers for me - that they can disguise themselves. However The Fallen and Megatron make it clear that from now on, Decepticon policy is to no longer hide themselves. This opens up the possibility for cool jet modes for characters like Cyclonus and Scourge, and the Target Master jets of G1's past. Of course, who am I kidding? Like we'll see them.

Also, the original Primes were entrusted with the Star Harvester to make the Energon needed to sustain the Cybertronians and lead their people. Their "prime directive" was to never use the device to destroy a star with a populated planetary system. The Seekers were supposed to find suitable locations. The Fallen was hell-bent on ignoring this directive and felt the best way to eliminate any opposition to his new policy was to murder his detractors. Thus started the Civil War, with the Autobots rising to defy this last Prime (until they discovered another one - Optimus) naming him The Fallen and getting behind their new leader who they considered the last Prime (Optimus). I think that's a cool story. Like I said, a lot like the Muslim Shiites and Sunni conflict.

Skywarp, Thundercracker, Thrust, Ramjet, and Dirge do not make appearances. My guess is that they might be too young to be Seekers in this new continuity.

The Seekers are actually now a cool concept. They are the oldest Transformers who were sent out to locate the AllSpark, the Matrix, and the Star Harvester under Megatron's command, loyal to him and The Fallen, as they saw him as their leader because he was a Prime - one of the originals.
(JetFire defected)

The Constructicons and Devastator have no personalities revealed by this movie (or the comic really - except maybe Rampage in the comic) but Long Haul seems to be quite the tough guy because he can take a pounding and dish one out, too. In the comic, Rampage (the bulldozer) vocally threatens Sam with the destruction of his parents. In the movie, he doesn't really talk but seems to gesture coherently enough that he gets his point across to Sam. BumbleBee takes care of Rampage and Ravage (pulling Ravage's head off with some sort of organic based spine still attached. At least there's green, runny goop that looks organic on the stripped spine which makes me wonder more about "what is a Cybertronian?"

Devastator was used well in the movie, the way he ought to be though. His purpose was demolition of the pyramid built to hide the Star Harvester and he was taken out the right way (probably just broken up into his Constructicon opponents apparently by a weapon the Autobots might have shared the technology with American military assets for - though official policy denies this ever happened).

Oh, Scrapper was never clearly seen in the movie, and High Tower or Scavenger, or both were not featured but for split seconds or as part of Devastator. Hasbro may have indicated they do not plan on making these figures because of this.

But with Rampage holding Sam's parents hostage and Ron Witwicky representing the G1 Sparkplug character, provides the reason why I think the Human Alliance toy assortment should continue with Rampage being another offering for the Decepticons and including Ron Witwicky as his prisoner.

Devastator's testacles, (the crane's wrecking balls) were funny - with Simmon's line about "being right under the enemy's testacles" got a big laugh out of the audience. I too thought it was funny. I didn't need to take the whole thing so seriously. There was plenty of serious stuff anyway.

The Insecticons are realistic size for being insects. It seems like The Doctor and some of the other bio-medical research-and-torture Decepticons are also insect based. Some are artificially large enough to not be in disguise. Maybe you could classify Scorponok as one of them, now.

OK, I'm going to take a break and then come back with the Autobots next.

JetsAndHeels
06-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Dude, there's NO way I am reading all of that.

Tycho
06-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Dude, there's NO way I am reading all of that.

So? Maybe someone else has more interest or patience. Besides, I like having a way to get all my thoughts about this out. It was very exciting for me as I've been waiting a long time to see this movie. And I haven't even started posting about the Autobots or the humans yet.

I like to write and this movie and my interest provides me with something I'm enjoying myself writing about.

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2009, 12:14 AM
So? Maybe someone else has more interest or patience.

Lighten up. It was a joke. I read your post.

Tycho
06-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Thank you. :)

Mvader91
06-25-2009, 01:47 AM
Tycho, you are right on point! I am enjoying your commentary. :thumbsup:

Tycho
06-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks Mvader91.

The Autobots

Optimus Prime - is easily the most well-written of the Autobot characters. His death is the most obvious aspect to comment about first. He comes back within the course of this movie, and this is now a spoiler-thread, so there you are. He dies, and comes back. (And Megatron starts dead and comes back too). So is it also 1986 again (the circumstances were different but this happens in the old G1 animated movie). However, the emotional impact wasn't as strong as it was in the 1986 movie (probably because the scene lacked Vince DiCola's very melodramatic musical score - heck - why couldn't they just use it? And on that note, when Prime received the Matrix of Leadership, what the heck would have been wrong with blaring Stan Bush's original rendition of "The Touch" out of every speaker in the THX digital theater? The newbies wouldn't get it of course, but it would just be another rock 'n roll moment for them, but the Old School fans would have been ON THEIR FEET IN THE THEATER at that moment! I love the 1986 soundtrack!!! Who the f-cares if it's so '80's. They used The Cars in the first film and The Pointer Sisters in this one. So what?! USE "THE TOUCH," Mr. Bay!)

Yet I love it in Simon Furman's adaptation where Prime comes back and his eyes light up and he rises and demands with the fierce roar of a lion (metaphorically speaking) "WHERE IS HE???!!!!!!!!" (referring to The Fallen with whom Optimus then proceedes to dismantle with no mercy after felling The Fallen with point blank shots and ripping apart half of Megatron's face (literally!!! This was hardcore and the audience was cheering, girls were screaming "Yes!!!" and the Decepticons became the Disassembled-cons.

Now just prior to that, Optimus had trouble standing up and was taking shots as he crawled on the ground, as the Matrix brought him back to life. This was cool and realistic, and ultimately made it harder and more rewarding for him to stand as the hero, but it was also cool in its own way. Still, Optimus goes as hardcore as he does in Furman's comic book, but the movie's violence is more graphic.

The scene where JetFire self-terminates and gives Prime his Spark and Ratchet assembles his parts necessary for flight onto Prime is done way too melodramatically though - this is Transformers not Harry Potter's Happy Magic Hour. I'll have to see it again, but I don't think I like the way this scene was rendered. The plot point was fine, the execution lacking because it was too fantasy-like for my tastes. (The Fallen rips these extra pieces off of Optimus Prime pretty quickly after Prime gets them anyway - so no, he will not have permanent flying capability from here on out. Optimus continues as an underdeveloped (mechanically speaking) Prime who is young and therefore not having yet reached his full potential. (I doubt this movie franchise will ever see Optimus' permanent death and some form of a Rodimus Prime or something. Ironhide takes over as the Autobot Commander in the event of Prime going offline, btw. Jazz is still dead.) In any case, BumbleBee aside, The Transformer's main heroic character was always meant to be Optimus Prime and he is by far the most popular. This should never change. Rodimus Prime was a mistake in the '80's and he or any other surrogate (like BumbleBee becoming the Autobot leader) is not at all to my taste.

One thing Simon Furman's comic did that the movie should have, is add Optimus' comic book line, "I wish there was some other way," right before he shoots Demolisher dead with a blast directly to his face! Prime is hardcore, but we also get more out of his character if we see his compassion for even the Decepticons show through. The movie made it look like he enjoys terminating his fellow Cybertronians. Optimus Prime does not.

It was way cool that Sam got to briefly ride inside the truck cab as Optimus makes his escape just after the Autobot leader rescues the boy and right before the forrest scene fight. Again, I loved this scene as Optimus goes hardcore and yells in defiance at Megatron that "he'll take them all on!" Then he proceedes to cut Starscream's arm off and hack Grindor to pieces, cutting through the helicopter's blades and the big Decepticon's face. Dude, if this movie was made substituting what happens to robots with this stuff happening to humans, this could be a XXX film rated that way for violence! As it was, you saw way more humans getting shot and human bodies dropping than in the first film which avoided showing much of that even during Blackout's opening attack.

I cannot say enough about how pleased I am to once more hear Peter Cullen voicing Optimus. After 15 years, he is still THE MAN!!! I still wish he would've have also starred as Ironhide as he did in the 80's (in addition to Optimus). Cullen made Ironhide sound distinctly different back then and could still do so today. We'll come back to Ironhide, but as long as I've been talking about Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime), I need to say that a British accent or whatever he's got is still just wrong to me for Ironhide's character. The guy voicing JetFire could have done something different for Ironhide and it still might have been better. Ratchet is fine with a proper-English accent. It suits his character - similar to how it suits Perceptor in the G1 pantheon. I'd even settle for Hugh Jackman doing Ironhide, but that wouldn't be my first choice. It really should have been Cullen as long as he was working on both movies all along. (And again I'm mad that Welker's original Soundwave voice wasn't used - probably because you could hear more traditional Welker in his Megatron, but that's not Soundwave - both originally voiced by Frank Welker and now Megatron portrayed by Hugo Weaving).

Anyway, wow I've got a lot I can still say about Optimus Prime. Obviously he's my favorite character.

Another thing I liked was that the Matrix of Leadership "was not found, but EARNED" as stated by the spirits of the other original 11 Prime's. If "no sacrafice, no victory" was the theme of the first film, this 2nd movie was definitely about letting go of the past and one's premeditated expectations, and embracing your natural destiny - both for Sam and Optimus Prime, as we see Prime FIRST get the Matrix of Leadership which he never had up until now.

And I'll stop now and let others comment on my musings about the Decepticons and Optimus Prime now, and I'll finish talking about the Autobots later (and the humans as well - gotta review Simmons wearing Sector-7 thong underwear (or a jockstrap - whatever it was supposed to be - I turned away completely revolted by that scene!).

Bel-Cam Jos
06-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Let me be a shorter (and therefore less detailed; Tycho, we need break-it-down stuff here too, so keep 'em coming :thumbsup: ) commenter.

First of all, I first saw TF1 prior to going to the theater yesterday, so it was fresh in my memory. I like it more than TF2, but I did like TF2.

What did I like:
- stripping Ravage's spine out
- various sound effects (lasers, pulse waves)

What I didn't like:
- Pink and Lime Green as bad stereotypes (worse than the Jar-Jar complaints, as these seemed intentional)
- balls
- dog or robot humping
- underwear POV

Was that the same college used in IJ:KotCS? And was that the Marcus Brody statue there, when Sam's family arrives?

Overall, I put it as #6 of the 9 films I saw in theaters so far this year (so it's Top Ten! ;) ).

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN* FILMS SEEN IN THEATERS THIS YEAR SO FAR:
10. n/a now
9. Land of the Lost
8. Watchmen (2nd viewing)
7. Fanboys
6. Transformers: Revenge of the Si- ur, Fallen
5. Night at the Museum: We'll Use the Smithsonian in the TF Sequel, Too
4. Angels & Demons and Bears
3. Star Trek
2. Up
1. Watchmen

Tycho
06-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Bel-Cam, did you see Wolverine or Terminator? Maybe you did but they just don't rank in your Top 10.

I completely agree with Star Trek being ahead of most of the rest.

I didn't see up and will have to rent Watchmen, but wasn't familiar with it until now where recurring discussion has made me aware of who Silk Spectre, Dr. Manhattan, and Rorschatz are, etc.

But I'm going to go back and see both Transformers (of course) and Star Trek again. For Trek, it will be my 5th time or something. (It's only logical).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, more breakdown reviews:

BumbleBee - that he still cannot talk? Hmmm. This is part of Michael Bay's cute-si-ying up of the character. I'll give you this, Mr. Bay - it does give him character. BumbleBee's actions speak louder than his immitation of Wreck-Gar (which is what this rips off). I don't see a big problem in that specifically, as with Arcee being a motorcycle and that having been done, I don't see the need for Junkions in this film's universe (maybe later, if the series ever leaves earth - but then it will start becoming Star Trek - exploring strange new worlds - etc. And I don't think I'd be buying movie Beast Wars, etc.

Oh - we interrupt this Autobot review to bring us one more Decepticon: "Alice." Unless she's liquid metal like the T-1000, (maybe she is but they did the effect differently) I didn't like the concept of her and what she is. I DID like her use and the humor it brought to the college scenes. Did BumbleBee know she was a Decepticon? I'm not so sure. I think Bee was just wanting to do right by Mikaela otherwise he would have killed Alice. In this continuity BumbleBee is a warrior who wouldn't hesitate to decapitate Rampage and strip the spine out of Ravage. Unless he shows some chivalry to Decepticon females, but Alice made her choice (in the war) and she's a threat to Sam. I think that if BumbleBee knew, he'd have stripped her spine out of her, too. However, the scene where her seat "in the Camaro" has difficulties and there's a manufacturer's problem with the windshield wiper fluid was pretty darn funny even though I'd read the comic and already knew "the hot college co-ed" was a Decepticon. I knew aggressive girls like that since high school (and in college of course). So her portrayal of one wasn't that unusual. They'll be "Alice's" at the San Diego Comic Con too, I bet.

Anyway, BumbleBee's loyalty to Sam is pretty amazing. Optimus Prime was just killed and BumbleBee doesn't regroup with the other Autobots. I never got the feeling that he doesn't like Ironhide, so he must have faith in Optimus' faith in Sam. That's making a leap though, as BumbleBee doesn't talk much. However, his "dialogue" through the radio after Prime's death when Sam was blaming himself was a pretty touching moment.

Overall, I think there was less BumbleBee in this movie and more "Camaro prop." That's OK, I like the shift of focus to other Autobots (the Twins and especially Optimus who the movie should be about - as it was). But overall, Michael Bay made a good car commercial. I think I know why SideSwipe was silver instead of red, too: besides to be a different color than Prime of course. A red 'vette might have really outshown the more affordable car purchase option. :pleased:

Once more, the 2010 Camaro shined and I'm surprised the Chevy dealer hasn't got car salesmen working the lines at the theater. Except for being a die-hard SUV kind of guy, I'd want that Camaro. But I'm just not that fond of driving cars. Riding in an SUV is a lot more comfortable. They need to bring Trailbreaker into these movies. He's a lot closer to what I drive. (BumbleBee's Camaro is rated at 29 mpg though).

Bel-Cam Jos
06-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Bel-Cam, did you see Wolverine or Terminator? Maybe you did but they just don't rank in your Top 10.Nope. That's why my list I listed only has nine films listed on the list I listed. There will be at least two or three more that'll be eligible (GIJ, HPatHBP, WtWTA), so by the end of the year, some won't make the Top Ten cut.

2-1B
06-26-2009, 11:49 PM
I saw this and found it to be stupid overall but I must say I loved Bumblebee. He was great.

For the most part though, this was terrible.

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 02:16 AM
I had already decided that there was no way I could add to the film's opening weekend box office take before I heard about Mudflap and Skids being racist stereotypes. My own mother emailed me about the issue, for corn's sake. After hearing that stuff and so many other things, I am not sure I will see this movie in theaters, or at all.

The movie opened to a surprisingly low IMDB rating, usually they rate VERY high these sorts of movies out the gates and then as time wears on the fanboy vote gets drowned out by the general audience vote. Here, it was a 7.4 on Wed morning and is already down to a 6.9 before its first weekend.

When the writer's strike was announced the sensible thing would've been to put the movie on hiatus. But what was Bay's response? Start production using a 17 page treatment and then shoe horn Kurtzman and Orci's screenplay one page at a time up until about a month ago. And apparently this lack of structure is translated into Transformers 2. Rather than make a quality product Bay was determined to make schedule. He is truly a product of corporate giants if he thinks meeting schedule is what matters. Schedule is important, but to forsake the integrity of a product just to meet it? Not a good call.

I won't see this in the theater. I've seen enough clips, the latest being Joe Pesci as Wheelie, that I just know I would be rolling my eyes.According to Orci & Kurtzman, he locked them in a hotel with Ehren Kruger for 4 months solid to write the film the day the strike ended. The outline Ortzman (celeb couple) turned in before the strike was only for pre-production purposes - sets could be designed, ILM could start designing new bots that would be in the movie.

Bay is a corporate *****, I've never stopped saying this since about 1999. The man has no care for the art beyond using his cliched big pseudo-artistic angles, lights, and even directing characters to sell the product. He actually complained about not getting his check from GM on this project as they were about to hit bankruptcy. He claims he loves this Camaro and GM so much, yet if the dollars aren't on the table, he's not budging. The notion of integrity is foreign to him as normal folks would know it.

Tycho
06-27-2009, 04:21 AM
I had already decided that there was no way I could add to the film's opening weekend box office take before I heard about Mudflap and Skids being racist stereotypes. My own mother emailed me about the issue, for corn's sake. After hearing that stuff and so many other things, I am not sure I will see this movie in theaters, or at all.

First off, that is totally discriminatory against racists! We're people too and we'd like to see ourselves in movies as well. In so many films, racists are under-represented these days and until they come out with Archie Bunker The Movie, I think it's only fair that racists get some screen time, too.

That being said, Mudflap and Skids were like JarJar Binks on wheels :D

By the way, I think Roberto Orci is Mexican-American, (or Latino of some nationality).

And as for Michael Bay?

He gave us a frontal panty crotch-shot of Megan Fox and a rear-end panty crotch-shot of Isabel Lucas. That and Optimus Prime causing total annihilation and dismemberment of his enemies in battle - from ripping their faces apart with his bare hands, to shooting them in the face!

This man has great taste!

Now more of my character reviews:

The Autobots Continued:

Mudflap and Skids - since I started discussing them already anyway. Yup: JarJar Binks - and twins of him no less - on wheels. I thought they were funny though - and Devastator having problems "digesting Mudflap" was pretty funny. They were characatures though and just there for laughs really. I didn't really get into their personalities. This movie was (like the last one) mostly focused on Optimus Prime and BumbleBee from amongst the Autobots, with at long last, a much better involvement in the story for Megatron and Starscream. But I was glad that Mudflap and Skids were in the movie as it added to the variety.

SideSwipe had not much character at all. He really killed the hell out of SideWays and established his ego with "Damn I'm good!" So OK - I gathered that he was a professional soldier and highly skilled as a warrior - very fast and deadly accurate. Besides that - he enjoys killing. I'm sure his being a soldier is where that comes from. This is not too different from what I remember of him in G1 (except for his being a red Lamborghini of course) but if I recall, he was a little less brave than Sunstreaker, and seemed to be the younger brother - a little scared of even small Decepticons like Laserbeak (not in any live action movie, yet).

The Arcee "Twins," (I counted triplets and can't wait until we meet the Cybertronian version of Octo-Mom). I agree with Michael Bay who wasn't interested in them being in the film. Any character could have replaced them, but having motorcycles was cool. Once it was established that there were female Cybertronians though, it was natural - I mean we otherwise could never have had those sweet scenes with Isabel Lucas as "Alice," if the Decepticons didn't have females. I was never familiar with the character of Arachnia, but I think there was a female Decepticon in the toyline's past, if there weren't more.

JetFire - was a highlight of the movie for me. What a great, well-written personality. I'm sure he was a copy of the cliche'd senile old wizard from something, but I can't recall from where right at the moment. However, I did say I was sure. The personality type was not original, but it worked well for JetFire. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed his character.

2-1B
06-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I had already decided that there was no way I could add to the film's opening weekend box office take

I bought a ticket for Transformers and gave it to the taker, then he directed me to "theater 5 on the left"...well that didn't gel with the times listed on the marquee, as it turned out the girl at the entrance gave me a ticket for My Sister's Keeper. So, I'm proud to say I did not contribute to the weekend haul afterall. :)

That being said, Mudflap and Skids were like JarJar Binks on wheels :D

Uh, no, not at all...those 2 characters were an absolute joke and I find your comment offensive to JJB. At least Jar Jar had some heart and was fleshed out as a character. JJB, even with all the criticism, is Oscar-worthy compared to that Twins garbage.

Also, I should add to my short review that the best part of this movie was Rainn Wilson. :)

bigbarada
06-27-2009, 10:13 PM
I watched Transformers 2 this evening and I must say that I definitely liked it better than the first movie. Still too much focus on the human characters (especially Sam's idiot mother) and I'm not sure exactly who it is who believes that watching dogs humping is funny; but at least the robots didn't take a backseat this time around.

Plenty of robot battles, almost too many. I was actually feeling a little exhausted by the time the end battle came around.

Anyways, from a technical standpoint, it's a new high watermark for special effects in movies.

Turbowars
06-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Saw it, liked it and why is everyone getting all technical about it? You are right, I rather the humans not even be in it at all. Put Fox in a Porno and I'm all set with her. I just feel like a kid again when I see and hear Prime. I love to love the Autobots! Jetfire was awesome. The 2 Ghettobots were stupid and were just like jarjar just as Tycho said. Could had done without them, but I'm not going to tear the movie apart, because it was fun and thats way I go to the movies. :yes::thumbsup:

Mvader91
06-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Saw it, liked it and why is everyone getting all technical about it? You are right, I rather the humans not even be in it at all. Put Fox in a Porno and I'm all set with her. I just feel like a kid again when I see and hear Prime. I love to love the Autobots! Jetfire was awesome. The 2 Ghettobots were stupid and were just like jarjar just as Tycho said. Could had done without them, but I'm not going to tear the movie apart, because it was fun and thats way I go to the movies. :yes::thumbsup:
:thumbsup:Well said I agree 100%.

jedibear
06-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Well....I won't rain on the parade here or cause too long an interruption to Tycho's thorough dissertations, but....

Finally saw this today and...it's been a while, but if I had been by myself, I would have walked out. I haven't sat through such a groaner in ages. This was AWFUL, plain and simple.

I won't rehash all of the previous issues with it that other folks who aren't into it already have (the lame humor, the choppy script, the way-too-long running time, the overflowing excess in EVERYTHING)...but...in a nutshell, it's now plain to see that Bay must have had extreme supervision and lots of outside feedback for the first movie...with this one, he was allowed to run rampant and hold back nothing of his usual excesses.

Oh all right , I will go on a bit... :)

Everything that was a little irritating in the first one was smack center stage in this one.....and considering the high level of success this movie saw this weekend, there's no doubt that a third one is on the way.

Some unsolicited advice for Hasbro and the producers....bring in a new director and screenwriters. It's a fun idea that still has a lot of potential...but Bay is Bay, and while he can create something that looks really good, once the action stops and the talking starts, things take a nose dive real quick.

There were some cool ideas floating around in this mess, like the first sequence's idea of having that special team of soldiers working with Autobots to eliminate any remaining Decepticon threats...this part had great energy, looked cool and worked well...wish there had been more of this kind of thing...but instead, the movie just began to stall and sputter along (the whole Sam at home then to college scenes were beyond painful to get through) from one half-baked idea to another...

I found it fitting that on of the posters in the dorm room that Sam defaces with those symbols was Bay's own "Bad Boys 2"....another example of a follow-up that, like this movie, traded on the original's popularity and just self-destructed on the screen in a cloud of tasteless excess...talk about unintended foreshadowing!

Irritating and unfunny sidekicks, swinging robo-nuts, humping dogs, and endless moments of rampant detruction that while well-rendered, had no emotional impact after a while...it actually got boring by the time they reached the pyramids and was just so much noise. One of the most unintended funny moments came at the end, as Shai and Megan have just run (slo-mo of course to focus on bouncing boobies) amidst the dust and shrapnel...both ending up bloodied, filthy and torn, they embrace...and while Shia still looks battered, Megan had perfect hair, make-up and clothes...talk about a continuity error, but hey, what price beauty, eh?

Again, I liked the first movie...it had it's groaner-moments too, but it was a good, cohesive "origin" story that popped with a good energy and kept a good balance of spectacle and story....

Other than a pretty test reel for ILM, this movie was a waste...but I know some folks in here really liked it so, to each their own...

preacher
06-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Iím torn on how to opine. On one hand there is a whole lot of *** kicking and on the other hand Transformers Revenge of the Fallen is plagued with the same problem that made Spiderman 3 such a dud. Too much too fast.

This story is NOT about Optimus Prime. He dies quite early in the movie at the end of the first act. His death is very predictable if you understand that the Transformer movies are and always will center around Sam Witwicky and the conflict any hero must overcome in a coming-of-age story. There are a great many subplots that are being juggled that I was easily lost. The whole idea of destroying suns to accumulate energon was very cool. I wouldíve rather seen such a plot point in the first Transformers movie. The cube was a load of crap. Where this movie suffers though is the sheer volume of things going on. Had Revenge of the Fallen been split into two different movies, things like characterization couldíve been developed more and time could have been taken for the narrative to evolve. The story was so rushed.

Nor is this a show about the toys. That level of childhood innocence is not in this version of the Transformers mythology. Bayís perversions are ample and tasteless and surpass all the gags from the first movie. Many of them have already been mentioned and donít need to be repeated. Suffice to say this show at times had the same level of Hijinx you would expect from a Farley brothers movie or American Pie. I like these sorts of movies for those types of movies. Not for a movie that I would really like to experience with my children. Revenge of the Fallen forgets that the Transformers are for kids and shouldnít have dog humping and robots that cuss. I did not need to see the S7 speedo on Simmons. I get it. Heís obsessed with sector 7. I think we kinda got the point since he had stolen all of the Sector 7 files.

There is no polite way to put it. The twins Skids and Mudflap were an abomination. Absolutely pointless. Extremely crass. It was completely unbelievable to me that those two were easily handled by Bumblebee and yet Devastator couldnít kill even one of them. If they were meant for comedy relief I couldnít tell. They were just annoying. This is a huge complaint I have with the movie because they dominated the screen. Cool characters like Sideswipe and Ironhide were given backseats and the twins drove. Who could ever believe that unseasoned heathens such as those would have ever been drafted into the war against the decepticons? They had more screen time than Optimus for the love of Pete! Wheelie was lame. Jetfire was interesting. Their shouldíve been more of him (ditch the twins!!) so their wouldíve been some emotional impact to his sacrificing his spark to save Optimus. Even Jetfire was immune to the bathroom humor. A robot. That farts?! Seriously?! Bumblee urinating in the first was bad enough.

Amongst all jokes and bad characterization, no character epitomizes both qualities of this movie than the the Fallen himself. He wasnít nearly developed enough to be a real threat, and what little there was of him was a huge joke. The movie gears up introducing him as this evil prime who went against the law of the other primes (you can make suns into energon, but only if their isnít life in the system it occupies) that even Megatron obeys and at the end he gets crushed by Optimus. Having the Fallen kill Optimus instead of Megatron wouldíve made the Fallen, as a threat much more real. If the movie had a better focus on the joint task force between US military and the autobots, the resurrection of Megatron with the climax being Optimusís death, then have another movie that lead to the events in Egypt I think I would have taken the Fallen as a force to be reckoned with. Instead, heís dead before he knew what hit him. Probably three minutes of screen time. At best. Oh, Soundwave also falls in this category. He didnít do a damn thing except tell the decepticons to attack. Twice. How about some backup for your fellow decepticons you retard?

Now on the other hand, it was great to see Starscream at his craven best. His line at the end of the movie was great, sums up he and Megatronís relationship nicely, and gave the mighty Megatron something to think about while he picked up the other half of his face. The dynamic between he and Megatron was something that should have been explored in the first movie. The bludgeoning scene was awesome and really got to the point that Starscream is a huge source of frustration for Megatron. A useful tool, but someone he really wants to choke sometimes. These two are my favorite characters in the Transformer mythology so to have them behave like they are supposed to behave with each other captured in a movie counted big for me. I'm still not fond of the designs. Megs lacks a massive oversized canon (he does have one this time - just not oversized) and Starscream looking like a primate, but at least the characterization was nailed.

As cool as the exchange between Megatron and Starscream was, for actual character design I think Ravage is my favorite. Cool design and probably the most faithful realization of any decepticon we have seen yet.

Arcee, Chromia, and whoever that third bike was were very cool and I like the fact that why there are female robots wasnít even explained. They were just there.

If you liked the first Transformers, youíll like Revenge of the Fallen. If you didnít like Transformers, and you can see past the endless dreck that apparently was supposed to funny, and the numerous continuity issues that cakes this movie (which I wonít get into), you may like Revenge of the Fallen if for no other reason than you get to see a whole lot of robots pound the hell out of each other. If you are like me and demand greater narration and less exposition you probably wonít like Revenge of the Fallen. This has explosions galore, all the things that shouldíve been in the first movie but werenít, and a better main plot than the first movie, but like I said in the beginning there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Just be careful if you donít want your kids to see Farley brothers level humor.

On a side note, Iíve gotten used to the robot designs now. If Bay seriously doesnít do the third movie I hope the design of the robots is kept for continuity sake.

JetsAndHeels
06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Jetfire's dad didn't transform into a wheel, he WAS a wheel. THE first wheel. You know what he transformed into? NOTHING! HE WAS A WHEEL! But he did it with honor. :)

To me, that was the funniest quote in the film. The rest of the attempts at humor were just pure of fail.

El Chuxter
06-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I hate to sound like the stereotypical "Why are there flames on Optimus" fanboy, since that doesn't bother me very much, but why do they insist on using established names for characters who don't fit those names at all?

For that matter, why not just call this movie "Gobots: Revenge of the Fallen" and use names like Cy-Kill, Leader-One, Cop-Tur, and make Bumblebee--I mean, Scooter--a Segway?

JetsAndHeels
06-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Imake Bumblebee--I mean, Scooter--a Segway?

"I drove my Bumblebee all the way to the Grand Canyon!!"

Mvader91
06-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Devastator was more of destructor. bumblebee was a true warrior.

DarthQuack
06-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Just saw it and really enjoyed it. I hate how a lot of people over analyze every little detail possible. None of us are Hollywood producers with companies backing us with millions of dollars. I realize how everyone will always be critical of movies like this and others, (PT) and other 'ogies that we have and will get. Just enjoy the fact that someone is making it for us. I thought the ghetto-bots were hilarious and laughed a lot with the jokes that were made. I have to say I love how Bumblebee was in this film as well. Very honorable and was always there for Sam.

I look forward to seeing this again and hope to see more of the same in the 3rd movie. Bring on some Dinobots, Unicron and more!

preacher
06-29-2009, 05:15 PM
There was an interview with Shia very recently and it sounds like the setting is going to be space. I take what he says with a grain of salt. 2012 is a long way from now, and a lot can change in three years, but it would seem the writers are already thinking expanding the scope of this thing tremendously. Look forward for alien toilette humor dominate the next movie a'la' futurama.

My guess is Megatron knows of another planet with an abandoned sun smasher device. Now that the sun smasher on earth was destroyed he would have to look elsewhere for another sun or another sun smasher device.

Ando
06-29-2009, 06:30 PM
I saw TF 2 yesterday.

I liked it. A LOT. I liked the first one a lot, too.

I was thoroughly entertained and enjoyed darn near every minute of its 2 1/2 hours (it went by surprisingly fast).

I have never walked into a Michael Bay movie with lofty, pseudo-intellectual expectations and therefore, I have never been disappointed (except for maybe Pearl Harbor. The first 45 minutes and last 30 minutes could've been cut).

My favorite Bay movies:

1. The Rock.
2. Transformers 1+2.
3. The Island.
4. Bad Boys 1+2.
5. Armageddon.

As a previous poster said, if you liked the first one, you'll like this one.

It's a big, loud, explosive summer movie about talking, transforming robots from outerspace with the kid from "Holes" and "Even Stevens" and the hot chick who gets featured on www.wwtdd.com (http://www.wwtdd.com) every other hour or at the very least every other day. Lower your expectations and try to be entertained. Especially when the real world couldn't seem to get any more awful.

figrin bran
06-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Let me get this straight - the heap of scrap parts purporting to be "Optimus Prime" actually amasses a kill count????

Sideswipe has been hyped up pretty heavily by Transformers collectors so what sort of great feats did he perform in the film?

And there's a Sam slow mo flip in the air scene??? That's a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moment if there ever was one!

Even with "lofty, pseudo intellectual expectations", I still enjoy Transformers Animated. :p

Beast
06-30-2009, 11:47 AM
This is funny as hell. But there's some language. So be warned...

[edit: language violation against forum rules, censored version reposted below - JT]

Are there honestly 46 new Transformers in the movie?
I have no ****ing clue. It's impossible to tell most of them apart except for Optimus and the Racist Twins (there's another yellow Autobot who I constantly thought was Bumblebee). There could be 46, or there could be 12. I honestly would believe 12 if someone had said that.

What is the status of the Transformers at the beginning of the film?
The Autobots have joined the military to hunt down the Decepticons. We're told the Decepticons are "doing things," but they appear to be hiding peacefully when the Autobots show up and brutally murder them.

What?
Yeah. The Decepticons aren't apparently doing anything, then the Autobots show up, the Decepticons run for their goddamn lives, and the Autobots hunt them down and brutally murder them. It's kind of weird.

Why is the U.S. military helping them?
Supposedly to help keep the Transformers a secret from the public. Although since the climax of the last film was a massive firefight involving 50-foot robots and took place over five miles of downtown Los Angeles and the beginning of this film wrecks several miles of Shanghai, China, they seem to be incredibly ****ty at their job.

How does the U.S. military help them?
Well, not at all, actually. They just kind of come along with guns and stuff, and act like they're going to help, but the Autobots do all the work.

Why is the U.S. military in this movie at all, then?
Because Michael Bay has a huge erection for jets and tanks and aircraft carriers and considers giant robots only a necessary evil for the film. At least 15 full minutes of the film's 150-minute run time is nothing but footage of jets and tanks and planes without any robots or actual action whatsoever.

How is Sam Witwicky dragged back into the fight?
Well, he finds a fragment of the Allspark shard. You know, the Allspark that he spent all last movie being told he shouldn't give to Megatron, but when he gave it to Megatron, it killed Megatron. That one. Anyways, the shard makes the Beef see symbols and act like more of an spaz than usual.

So the Decepticons want the shard? Why?
Uh... to bring Megatron back to life?

What?
That's what they said.

But the Allspark killed Megatron in the first movie.
Yes.

...and now it can also bring him back to life.
It's very powerful, this Allspark.

Uh-huh. So what's their plan to get it?
They send a small R/C car who talks like Joe Pesci in Casino to get it.

Shouldn't they have sent Starscream or somebody?
Look, there's another Allspark shard and get that one anyways, so it doesn't matter.

Well, then why do they give a **** about Sam?
The symbols. In his head. That the shard of the Allspark gave him.

They weren't in the other shard?
Apparently not.

So how do the Decepticons plan to get the symbols, I guess?
Well, the Decepticons have very cunningly created a hot chick robot who they enrolled in the same college and put in the same astronomy class as Sam. And they made her a huge slut.

Wait.
Waiting.

There's a slutty Decepticon?
Yeah, she's a real ho. The Decepticons apparently have an incredibly powerful slut-making program, because she has it down, man. Anyways--

Didn't Sam touch the shard and get the symbols stuck in his head on his first day of college?
Yes.

So the Decepticons made a slutty robot to attend his college and enrolled her in classes and put her in on-campus housing just in case Sam ended up being important at some point in the future?
Apparently. It was an elaborate plan, but it sure paid off.

How so?
Well, not at all. The slut-bot made out with him for a little bit then immediately tried to kill him, neither for any apparent motive or gain.

It sounds preposterous.
Doesn't matter, because the Decepticons use the shard piece they do have to resurrect Megatron! He's back! Ooo! Scary!

Why is this scary? All he wanted was the Allspark, and now it's gone.
...because he has a boss! He's called the Fallen, because he's so evil! He has an evil plan to use a machine on Earth to blow up the sun and make energon! Or something! It's not very clear.

Now you're just making **** up as you go along, aren't you?
Best not to think too much about it. Anyways, the symbols in the Beef's head are a map to where this machine exists, so the hunt is on and Sam shortly is captured by other, less slutty Decepticons in one of the many instances where Bumblebee inexplicably abandons the Beef so he can conveniently be in trouble.
Then a robot called the Doctor who speaks gibberish with a German accent shoves things up Shia's nose and gets the symbols.

That's that, then, right? The Decepticons win?
No! Because Optimus Prime saves Sam before they cut off his head, which has another treasure inside!

Really? What is that?
No one really bothers to explain this, actually. Suffice to say, the Decepticons continue to want Sam. Oh, then Optimus Prime fights three Decepticons at once and dies.

Where the hell were the other Autobots during this fight?
I don't know. They were with him before the fight, but then they disappear and show up right after he dies. But they appear sad about Optimus dying. Marginally. I mean, they don't get any screen time or dialogue to convey any feelings or anything, but there's some sad music playing for a little bit afterwards. I assume this means the robots that are off-screen are grieving.

Well, if one shard brought Megatron back to life, can't Sam just use his shard piece to resurrect Optimus?
Yes. He could.

Well?
He doesn't.

Why not?
I'm not sure exactly.

Then what the hell does he do?
He decides get those symbols that were in his head translated to figure out what the Fallen's up to.

Which Autobot does the translating?
Err... none of them. Actually, it's John Turturro.

What. The ****.
Yeah, since he was laid off from his super-secret government agent job, he now works in a NY deli and runs a super-popular Transformers conspiracy theory website. Like ya do.

And why couldn't an Autobot translate these symbols?
Because Bumblebee is mute and the Racist Twins are poor black robots from the slums of Cybertron who never learned how to read. It's a sad commentary on Cybertronian society. Like The Wire, actually.

Where the hell are the other Autobots?
I don't know. Away. They seem to be unable to be reached. They're probably grieving about Optimnus still. Clearly, John Turturro is the reasonable solution here.

So Turturro translates the symbols.
No, that would be silly. He does, in an incredibly bizarre series of connect-the-dots, lead them to Jetfire, an elderly and deceased Transformers whose corpse is hanging out in the Air & Space Museum.

What good is he dead?!
Ah! Remember the shard? Sam uses it to bring Jetfire back to life!

Not Optimus?
No! This way, Sam can get the symbols translated... so he can, er... find the ancient machine... that can, uh... possibly bring Optimus back to life.

You have to ****ing be kidding me.
Moving on! Jetfire teleports everyone to Egypt, including some of the missing Autobots --

Wait, what? Teleports?
Yes, teleports.

Transformers don't teleport.
Jetfire does.

But -- wait a second, he's a ****ing jet. He could fly everybody to Egypt, right? And that would make perfect sense for both the character and the franchise!
Well, I guess so. But he chooses not to. The point is Jetfire teleports them all to Egypt where he explains that there used to be 7 or 8 Primes, and they traveled around the galaxy blowing up suns for energon. But they never did it on planets with life.
Well, they had set the machine up on Earth and not noticed all the life running around, and one of the Primes just said **** it, let's do it anyways. This was evil, so they called that Prime the Fallen and beat the **** out of him although he escaped.

Okay...
So that other mysterious reason that the Decepticons wanted Sam's brain? It's because it contains some very vague clues about the Matrix of Leacdership, which is the device that turns on the sun-exploding machine. The Fallen needs the Matrix to blow up the sun and get his Energon.

Hold on. That's what the Matrix of Leadership does in the movie?
Yes. Works the sun-exploding machine.

I'm fuzzy on how "Leadership" covers that.
I didn't name it. But it does sound a little nicer than "Matrix of Blowing Up the Goddamn Sun."
If I may continue, in order to protect the Earth, the 6-7 other Prime hid the Matrix on Earth and made a tomb with their own bodies. Isn't that cool?

No. No it is not. If they wanted to protect Earth, why did they leave the Matrix on the planet? They're a space-faring race, they could have hid it anywhere in galaxy! Second of all, what the **** does making a tomb of their own bodies do? Shouldn't they have stayed alive to protect the Matrix? Or finish off the Fallen? Or just not die and leave Earth and the entire Transformer race in jeopardy?
Uh...

And why hide the Matrix at all? Don't they need Energon to survive? Didn't they say they go to other lifeless planets? These idiot Primes just doomed their whole species for no ****ing reason whatsoever! No wonder the Decepticons are so ****ed.
...ahem. Eventually, Sam and crew find the Matrix, which instantly crumbles into dust. Sam puts the dust in a sock because he thinks it will bring Optimus back to life.

Grr.
What follows is the most spectacular part of the movie, as Sam and Mikaela try to run the several miles back to the military camp during a massive Decepticon attack where the military has dropped Optimus Prime's corpse.

Why is that awesome? They could drive back in one of the Autobots and be there in a minute or two.
They don't do that.

What?
They walk.

Of course they do. And I assume the Autobots just mysteriously disappear again until a second before a Decepticon is about to kill Sam.
Yes. Exactly.

I am already incredibly sick of this movie, and I'm just typing questions about it. Sam resurrects Optimus, Optimus kills the Fallen, end of story, right?
Pretty close. Sam dies, though.

Really?
Yeah, for a little while. But then the Transformers in heaven send him back because he still has work to do.

**** you.
I'm serious.

**** you. There's no way.
It's true. The 6-7 Primes are there in the clouds like Mufasa's head in The Lion King, and tell Sam he's awesome and he needs to live again so he can bring Optimus back to life.

I may be ill.
Then Jetfire appears out of nowhere and rips out his own heart right in front of Optimus to give him his elderly old robot powers. This makes Optimus into a flying badass who defeats the Megatron and Starscream and the Fallen in a little less than two minutes. After the last 30 minutes of the movie have been nothing but explosions -- not all of which have any obvious causes -- it's a bit disappointing.

Anything else you want to add?
Well, only that although Sam jams the Matrix of Leadership into Optimus Prime's chest to resurrect him, a Decepticon takes it out like 10 seconds later and Optimus is fine. Just a little weird, is all.

Can you give me any reason I would want to see this film in theaters?
I can't answer every question, man.

BONUS ROUND!

So it's not as bad as ****ting your pants?
Marginally. I honestly had to make a pro and con list to figure it out.

Why on earth would anyone make a film about giant robots but have myriad scenes of some random douchebag's first day of college?
I don't have the faintest clue.

Could there have been more trite, less inspired song for Bumblebee to play when Sam says he's going to college than The Pointer Sisters' "I'm So Excited"?
No. No there couldn't.

Why can't Bumblebee talk, but the other Autobots can?
Because Bumblebee is retarded, but in a Sling Blade kind of a way. This explains how he kills the living **** out of a Decepticon later.

Why does Sam's mom buy and consume a pot brownie?
Well, Sam's mom was in a coma for the last 30+ years, which explains how she had never heard of marijuana, and why she didn't understand the consequences of eating it even after her husband specifically told her it was a pot brownie (Sam was unfortunately conceived and born during this period). A better question is why any college student in America would be selling pot brownies at an on-campus bake sale, let alone to a middle-aged woman.

A lot was made of how Shia the Beef's hand injury was written into the film. How was this done?
Well, sometimes Shia had a huge bandage on his hand, and sometimes he didn't.

That doesn't sound "written in" at all.
Well, no actual words are used to explain it. It might be more accurate to say it "shows up sometimes."

Why would a robot need to fart, pee, or vomit? And why would it need testicles?
Michael Bay does not understand what a robot is.

What is the point of the character of Sam's college roommate, and why the **** does he stay for the entirety of the movie?
I have no clue. He's not comedy relief, because that's covered by 90% of the Transformers themselves. He technically leads the Beef to John Turturro, but surely there could have been another way to do that. Besides, Turturro just leads them to Jetfire anyways. It's all extraneous.

Why can only a Prime kill the Fallen? Why can Jetfire teleport? Why can the Fallen wave a staff and make **** fly around? Why do actual cars and Autobots get sucked into Devastator's maw, but John Turturro and that other kid can run around?
Because... because **** YOU, that's why.

Can you explain Megan Fox's appeal?
Yes. She looks like a porn star and has the same acting talent as one, yet for some reason she makes mainstream movies. This tonal disconnect is what's so appealing about her.

If you had to pick a single scene that exemplifies Michael Bay's utter disdain for story and continuity, what would it be?
When five Decepticons sink to the bottom of the ocean to retrieve Megatron's corpse. A submarine tracks five "subjects" going down, and when they get there, one of the Decepticons is killed to give parts to Megatron. 5 -1 +1 = 5, right? No, because the sub somehow tracks "six" subjects coming up. Not only is this very basic math, this is the simplest of script errors. It could not possibly have been more than one page apart in the script. And yet Michael Bay either didn't care to notice or didn't give a ****. "Math? Math is for pussies. My movies are about **** blowing up, man."

Could you sum up the film in one line of its dialogue?
"I am standing directly beneath the enemy's scrotum."

Darth Metalmute
06-30-2009, 01:21 PM

Never before has a movie review made me want to see a movie more than this one.

JetsAndHeels
06-30-2009, 02:09 PM

The bonus round questions are great...especially the last one.

Thanks for sharing that, Beast.

JediTricks
06-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I was going to repost that FAQ the other day, I had read it to Tycho over the phone the night before, but when I went back to grab it the next day, it had been taken down. Glad it's still out there, but you can't link to it, against forum rules.

pbarnard
06-30-2009, 04:16 PM
That is great. There is no way it can be as dumb as it sounds. Anyone want to continue justifying that I have to read something first (or afterwards) just so it can't possibly made to be that dumb? Transformers 2, we tried for a story, but they're hard to write, ok?

bigbarada
07-01-2009, 09:45 AM
I'd honestly have to say that this is my favorite Michael Bay movie to date.

That's not saying much, since I've consistently believed Bay's movies to be some of the worst films ever made. However, it's not like the original TF cartoon was a cinematic masterpiece, in fact, I find the cartoon almost unwatchable now. So all I really wanted from a Transformers movie was to see a bunch of giant, transforming robots fighting. There wasn't nearly enough of that in the first movie, but this movie really makes up for it.

Kidhuman
07-01-2009, 10:01 AM
some showed me this FAQ today. It does have some language in it that might be deemed foul, but it is funny. Please click at your own risk:

[edited out, see 6 posts up for same problem AND for censored repost of material - JT]

El Chuxter
07-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Maybe it was Beast, just yesterday? :p

preacher
07-02-2009, 12:07 AM
That is great. There is no way it can be as dumb as it sounds.

It is as dumb as it sounds. Like I posted previously, the sun annhilator was a good idea, but as you can see the scene sequences leading up to the super weapon were a bit screwed up.

Oh the best part, and I'm surprised topless robot didn't mention this, but the final attack, you know the one where Mikaela and Sam spent the entire time running through the desert instead of driving in Bumblebee - 13 decepticons land 5 miles from the action and WALK through the desert because that is what Sam and Mikaela were doing. Now the sensible thing would have been to have the thirteen decepticons go airborne and destroy Optimus BEFORE Sam could get to him. Instead they engage in an inane round of cat and mouse for twenty freaking minutes! You've heard that the desert scene drug on and on right? Its because the Decepticons were tip toing through the desert.

Now if you can still find it in your heart to look past this very lame plot element you should go watch it. IF you plan on seeing this eventually you are doing yourself a diservice by not seeing it on the big screen. The special effects are magnificent.

There is no logic to how events play out, but if you recall in the original cartoon there were similar types of rediculous plot elements. I'll give you an example. In the "Key to Vector Sigma part I" Megatron makes the Stunticons but in order to give them life he uses the key to vector sigma. When he gets on Cybertron he activates these things called Centurion droids - who are dumb as nails and fall over a cliff like lemmings. Why couldn't Megatron use the key on the Centurion droids to make them less stupid? See what I mean? Nonsensical.

Tycho
07-02-2009, 03:39 AM
In the latest update from Michael Bay, he WILL be making Transformers 3, but wants to take a year off and have it out in 2012. Paramount wants it done for 2011. I predict Michael Bay will drink a lot and then get awesome with them. :D

Michael Bay also must have been drinking a lot when he said he wants to have a bigger part for Leo (Sam's roommate in college that runs the Real F'n Deal giant robot conspiracy theory website). Michael said he really liked how Leo's character worked out in the latest movie.

Oh yeah, besides having more of Leo in the next movie, Michael will also put in some robots and explosions, too.

DarthQuack
07-02-2009, 04:12 AM
And talk of space is around as well. I'd love to see me some Cybertron. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2009, 10:05 AM
How about Spider-Man or G.I. Joe? And since Star Wars is a Hasbro product, what about those Transformer-SW toys? Mr. Potato Head?

Tycho
07-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Who would win in a fight? Megatron or Mr. Potato Head?

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2009, 01:57 AM
I saw it at the IMAX earlier tonight. Action sequences looked very good on that big screen.

Beast
07-03-2009, 10:56 AM
And talk of space is around as well. I'd love to see me some Cybertron. :thumbsup:
The line about "God made us in his image, who made them" makes me think Unicron for TF3.

JediTricks
07-03-2009, 05:30 PM
In the latest update from Michael Bay, he WILL be making Transformers 3, but wants to take a year off and have it out in 2012. Paramount wants it done for 2011. I predict Michael Bay will drink a lot and then get awesome with them. :DWow, great "latest update" from 6 months ago. Way to stay current. :rolleyes: :p

The line about "God made us in his image, who made them" makes me think Unicron for TF3.I've heard a lot of folks say that, but it's not accurate, that'd be Primus as God and Unicron as the Devil.

Darth Metalmute
07-03-2009, 05:31 PM
I saw it this morning. It wasn't a great film, but it was decent. Most of the problems people seen to be having with it too me are overblown. I had no problem whatsoever following the story line and neither did my son. The three annoying characters; Mudflap, Skids, and Leo; are not as bad as the rap they are getting, I thought one of them sounded like Jamie Kennedy's character from "Malibu's Most Wanted". None are funny however and could be done without.

My biggest problem with it was one that Preacher mentioned. The final showdown was just too long, especially considering the anti-climatic final battle that seemed to take less than 2 minutes. It was fine until Sam and Mikela got out of the car to run while Bumblebee, Skids, and Mudflap created a diversion. Then it took forever. It was almost as if it was real time, like we watched every step they took through the 5 mile jog, only to end with Optimus desposing of two head Decepticons in minutes. I would have rather saw a 2 minute run followed by an epic 20 minute fight.

Other than that, it was a enjoyable movie.

Like Preacher said, If your going to see this, see it in the theater, don't wait for DVD. Alot of things are going on in this picture and you might not catch it all at home.

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I would have rather saw a 2 minute run followed by an epic 20 minute fight.

Great point!! I really enjoyed seeing the fights in this one (especially how Prime fought) and if there were more of that in the last part, it would have helped ALOT.

I thought the forest battle was the best.

pbarnard
07-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Michael Bay's surreal interview with the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204621904574249803555118212.html

WSJ: With all the recent emphasis on 3D and technology in movies, do you think we’ll see some directors emerge out of the special effects houses?

Mr. Bay: People have come before from the special effects houses and have not done well. People can come from anywhere—but its really about telling stories. Either you’re born to do this or you’re not.

Pot, kettle black.

Beast
07-04-2009, 08:23 PM
I've heard a lot of folks say that, but it's not accurate, that'd be Primus as God and Unicron as the Devil.
Yeah, but I still see them going that direction...

Besides, when has Michael Bay respected Transformers canon?

dr_evazan22
07-05-2009, 09:06 AM
After reading the WSJ piece I looked at Bay's IMDB profile...

[on "Transformers"] Well, it's just, you know, listen, it's like...I didn't want to make the boxy characters, you know? Think about it, 30 feet in the air in the real world, just boxes, you know and it'd just look more fake, you know? And by adding more doo-dads, you know, stuff on the...stuff. Stuff on the robots, more car parts, and...you know you can just make it look more real.

I'm one of the few directors - it seems like a dying art - that actually shoot a lot in the camera.

I think we're all lucky that we have a director of his caliber that could frame the Transformers, the actors, and locations like the pyramids, get it all IN CAMAERA, and make it... believable. Thank you Mr Bay!

It also said he worked in the storyboard dept at ILM on Raiders, and that he's friends with GL. Maybe they collaborated on the opening space battle for ROTS.

JediTricks
07-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I forgot, a few days ago I blogged about Michael Bay claiming, while insulting Megan Fox, that he invented every famous person ever:
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=68319007&blogId=498352340

Also, a friend who really enjoyed the first film has officially suggested that neither I nor anybody else go see this movie. The further away from seeing it she got, the more she disliked and then even hated it. She was literally paid to see the film and still disliked most of it.

Michael Bay's surreal interview with the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204621904574249803555118212.html

Pot, kettle black.
AWWW SNAP! Great post.

Yeah, but I still see them going that direction...

Besides, when has Michael Bay respected Transformers canon?Kurtci said they hadn't decided either way about Unicron at Botcon and I got the feeling they really hadn't.

After reading the WSJ piece I looked at Bay's IMDB profile...

I think we're all lucky that we have a director of his caliber that could frame the Transformers, the actors, and locations like the pyramids, get it all IN CAMAERA, and make it... believable. Thank you Mr Bay!Don't forget Bay's ability to shake the camera around in sloppy whip pans for added realism, we should thank him for that too.

pbarnard
07-06-2009, 07:18 PM
You can't credit Michael Bay for tight shots of a girl's body bouncing and running, some one at MTV/Viacom should sue saying CLUB MTV (just dated myself).

JetsAndHeels
07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Saw it again yesterday (that makes 2 times in theaters, 1 time in IMAX) and my favorite part is still the forest battle. I appreciate Optimus more with each viewing...which I doubt I will see it again until I purchase it on dvd.

Optimus was definately my favorite in this movie...I am more of a decepticon guy, but Optimus really was the "man" in this one. I recall in the forest battle scene where he basically says "I will take you all on myself", then things like "you picked the wrong planet", and even "give me your face" as he defeats the Fallen.

Dang, while typing this post it makes me even more content in my purchase of the Leader class Prime figure.

Tycho
07-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Optimus Prime was always super-cool to me - a real hero!

I have to say he's always been my favorite Transformer.

Slicker
07-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I saw this on July 4th (I've now seen both Transformers movies in Australia) and it was...meh...

Just too much was attempted to be put in. (ala X-Men 3). I'll say more later but still...meh...

Qui-Long Gone
07-08-2009, 04:52 PM
I just wish Optimus had his own film sans Bay, Shia, Fox (talentless TnA), and those goofy twins.

You know youre a bad muther when even Bay can't ruin your awesomeness!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I caught some of Robot Chicken last night (don't know if it was a rerun; probably was) with a "commercial" for Michael Bay's Explosions film. Pretty funny.

Slicker
07-08-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm back.

The one obvious thing about the movie that stuck out for me was how Bay couldn't even keep his damn aircraft carriers correct. When the carrier is sunk it's clearly the John Stennis (CVN-74) yet they say it was the Roosevelt (CVN-71) then at the end of the movie they show the Stennis back again in one shot then in the very next they show the Roosevelt.

When the carrier was sunk our entire theater erupted in applause and whistling since probably 90% of 'em were sailors.. It was quite funny if you ask me.

Tycho
07-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Is it just the crew of the George Washington being competative with the crews of the Roosevelt and Stennis? Or does your crew hate life aboard the ship so much that they wish the Decepticons would destroy our planet so they could go off-duty?

If the latter, man is Optimus Prime due to come aboard your ship and straighten some things out! ;)

By the way, for all who don't know, "CVN" stands for "Commerical Vehicle of the Navy." Due to the bankruptcy of Federal Funding, the government will now be selling the naming rights / sponsorhip of our military vehicles.

The George Washington will be renamed the Ronald McDonald. The Roosevelt will be called the Bernie Madoff (paid for by fines levied), and the Stennis will be called the Michael Jackson. The Michael Jackson will now be escorted by the USS Kidd.

Slicker
07-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Is it just the crew of the George Washington being competative with the crews of the Roosevelt and Stennis? Or does your crew hate life aboard the ship so much that they wish the Decepticons would destroy our planet so they could go off-duty? It's the fact that everyone onboard wishes that this boat would sink to the bottom because it sucks so much a**

The Michael Jackson will now be escorted by the USS Kidd.That's too funny.

JediTricks
07-20-2009, 07:46 PM
I still haven't seen this film yet, but I was watching a little of the Spongebob 50-hour marathon this weekend and saw a commercial with the twins interacting with some kids to sell yogurt or something. First time I had seen them moving or speaking, and that's just awful work on so many levels.

I caught some of Robot Chicken last night (don't know if it was a rerun; probably was) with a "commercial" for Michael Bay's Explosions film. Pretty funny.
BAYSPLOSIONS!!! One of the bits in that trailer is actually from a non-Bay film tho', they spoof something from Transporter 2.

When the carrier was sunk our entire theater erupted in applause and whistling since probably 90% of 'em were sailors.. It was quite funny if you ask me.Huh, I'm surprised to hear it really, or do they hate the new boat? Oh, wait, I saw your next post. Wow, sorry to hear your boat is carppy.

El Chuxter
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
50-hour Spongebob marathon? Doesn't the Geneva Convention ban that sort of torture?

preacher
07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
I still haven't seen this film yet, but I was watching a little of the Spongebob 50-hour marathon this weekend and saw a commercial with the twins interacting with some kids to sell yogurt or something.

I'm so disappointed JT. Spongebob ****pants?! Seriously? I hope you were at least "forced" into this because you watching a nephew or you doing a drinking game or something.

mabudonicus
07-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Hey SpongeBob is a great franchise- sure the selling of everything Spongebob is a bit over the top, but the "good episodes" of the show are truly good and funny, a few of my buddies were sceptical but after watching the film they were pretty much onboard
:beard: Iso&Baws&topes
on-topic- the stupidest part (well, stupidest insult to G1) in the film is where, after getting the "flight" parts installed, Prime gets up and says "Let's ROLL!!!" then flies away over the horizon leaving all the autobots standing (literally) in his dust

Tycho
07-21-2009, 11:21 AM
on-topic- the stupidest part (well, stupidest insult to G1) in the film is where, after getting the "flight" parts installed, Prime gets up and says "Let's ROLL!!!" then flies away over the horizon leaving all the autobots standing (literally) in his dust

That too is also not to my taste, but I have to think it was intentional on Orci and Kurtzman's part - or Michael Bay himself made that intentional.

I think someone should be slapped there.

preacher
07-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Hey SpongeBob is a great franchise- sure the selling of everything Spongebob is a bit over the top, but the "good episodes" of the show are truly good and funny, a few of my buddies were sceptical but after watching the film they were pretty much onboard

Great Franchise? If you ask me Pink Panther or Looney Toons buries ****pants in a second. But we are getting off topic here...my fault. Back to Transformers!

Tycho
07-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Who would win in a fight: Optimus Prime or Sponge Bob?

[My major geek post contribution for probably the whole month]:rolleyes:

Turbowars
07-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Who would win in a fight: Optimus Prime or Sponge Bob?

[My major geek post contribution for probably the whole month]:rolleyes:Oh no, theres way more than that........
:p

El Chuxter
10-25-2009, 02:19 AM
I'm visiting family, and was outvoted on choice of movies tonight, so now count me among those who've seen ROTF.

Surprisingly, I'm going to have to be a voice of dissent here. Personally, I thought it was much better than the first. Granted, that's like saying a kick in the crotch from a girl wearing ballerina slippers is much better than a repeated crotch-stomping from Michael Clarke Duncan wearing steel-toed s***kickers, but it was still better, owing mainly to the fact that it was not quite as impossible to follow as the first. Visually, it was still a mess, but far less of a mess, and finally having most of the freakin' Decepticons actually speak English was a major plus.

I do appreciate that there seemed to be some attempt at individualizing a few of the characters, and Starscream and Megatron appeared to have somewhat been based on the originals. The music also was a million times better, though still very derivative.

The human characters were still annoying, and Michael Bay has obviously never been near a college, as anything involving Sam at school required so much suspension of disbelief it caused headaches. There were major plot holes, such as everyone driving back and forth between Giza and Petra repeatedly, within seemingly a few hours, or how Major McGenericBayCharacter suddenly knew to go to Petra instead of Egypt, or how Jetfire knew to go there. Jetfire was damned annoying, and the twins moreso. I'd rather watch the Jar Jar & Carrot Top Variety Hour than see another moment of those morons. Didn't quite get how a Transformer committing suicide suddenly made his parts fly away and attach to the nearest Transformer, or why The Fallen was so dead set on destroying Earth and fighting his brethren, as opposed to just going to the next star (not like there are a lot of them, or anything), or why Bumblebee ran "as far away as possible" with Sam's parents (point of them being in Jordan?) yet could return immediately when Sam had his silly out of body experience, but the whole movie was pretty ridiculous. Perhaps the most ridiculous bit was five Constructicons going to the ocean floor, killing one, resurrecting Megatron (why didn't an Autobot sacrifice himself if it's so easy to return dead TF's to life?), and, somehow, six TF's returning (5-1+1=...6?!?). Then again, why the hell wouldn't they melt Megatron down if they weren't going to study his remains, as opposed to putting him on the ocean floor and guarding him with a token force that didn't have enough strength to prevent the body from being stolen.

All in all, I'd say a one-star movie as opposed to the zero-star pice of carp the first was. I don't feel like Michael Bay stole three hours from me, but I'm in no hurry to see it again.

(Oh, and, between this and Rise of Cobra, who at Hasbro and Paramount hates Paris?)

DarthQuack
10-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I picked this up on Blu-ray last week. I liked all the action in this one, yes a little bit long but I still had fun with it.

JetsAndHeels
10-29-2009, 06:17 PM
I picked this up on Blu-ray last week. I liked all the action in this one, yes a little bit long but I still had fun with it.

That's why dvd's and blu-rays are great...you can skip the talk and get to the robot-bashing action. :thumbsup:

Ando
10-29-2009, 06:25 PM
(Oh, and, between this and Rise of Cobra, who at Hasbro and Paramount hates Paris?)

I can't really say about GIJ/ROC, but Bay destroyed Paris in Armageddon, too.

morpheus282
10-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Rented it, thought it was ok, won't buy it on DVD. The movie definately had its moments, but I agree with El Chuxter on most points. When all the robots start fighting and the camera is bouncing around like a stripper's fake boobs I can't tell which one is which beyond those with distinctive paint jobs. That would be why I missed six robots returning from the ocean floor.

This next bit might get me in trouble.

I don't see why they felt the need to include all the blood, cursing, and overt sexuality. I mean, I could look at Megan Fox's backside all day long and not feel too badly about it (I'm married, but still male :D), but for a movie based on toys with an active toy line I just think they could have toned it down a bit and made the movie just as good.

That said, I liked the scrotum joke.

pbarnard
10-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Rented it, thought it was ok, won't buy it on DVD. The movie definately had its moments, but I agree with El Chuxter on most points. When all the robots start fighting and the camera is bouncing around like a stripper's fake boobs I can't tell which one is which beyond those with distinctive paint jobs. That would be why I missed six robots returning from the ocean floor.

This next bit might get me in trouble.

I don't see why they felt the need to include all the blood, cursing, and overt sexuality. I mean, I could look at Megan Fox's backside all day long and not feel too badly about it (I'm married, but still male :D), but for a movie based on toys with an active toy line I just think they could have toned it down a bit and made the movie just as good.

That said, I liked the scrotum joke.

I understand how Megan Fox got the part while on the casting couch. Bay describing the explosions did overt act from Ohio city often called The Mistake on the Lake and another name for a 19th century train or paddle wheeler. :thumbsup: EWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I couldn't tell beyond Optimus Prime & Bumblebee one robot from another, didn't care, so why bother making the movie at all if they're the "stars"? Yippee, bunch of robots killing each other, but none have names, or can barely tell the afiliation, so why should I care? So there were hundreds here all along? College once again done wrong by Hollywood is nothing new.

Why hasn't anyone broken Orci and Kurtzman's hands/arms or amputated them so they can never write again? Oh, and just to be safe, slash their throats to prevent them from being able to dictate "ideas" too.