PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow 12" Han Carbonite accessory

JediTricks
10-30-2008, 10:59 PM
SideshowCollectibles.com (http://affiliates.sideshowtoy.com/Tracker.aspx?aid=1160&href=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sideshowtoy.com%2f%3fpage_id %3d5678%26source%3d103008news%26utm_source%3dnewsl etter-pers-103008news%26utm_medium%3demail)

Looks very good, if the price isn't too high (ha!) I will go for it. If they shove lights into it, I will go for it even if the price is high. :p

Blue2th
10-30-2008, 11:18 PM
That would be nice if it lit up.
Probably will get this one to go with all the SS characters from Jabba's palace I already have.

Tycho
10-31-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm NOT buying.

I wanted something like a toy, that an articulated 12" figure of Han went into the block and you had frozen, un-freezing, and completely unfrozen options with. Lights would've only been an added plus.

But this is an environment piece and my Hasbro Target Exclusive from 1998 works just fine. It's behind my SideShow Jabba Throne right now, right next to me.

I'll save some money because I was collecting in 1998.

jonthejedi
10-31-2008, 04:34 AM
Hoping it's under $100(internal lighting is too much to hope for). I've been using the flat block Hasbro version with LED lights(the one that came with the last Leia/Boussh they did). It's sitting right on Jabba's throne, but I way like this better.

Blue2th
10-31-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm NOT buying.

I wanted something like a toy, that an articulated 12" figure of Han went into the block and you had frozen, un-freezing, and completely unfrozen options with. Lights would've only been an added plus.

But this is an environment piece and my Hasbro Target Exclusive from 1998 works just fine. It's behind my SideShow Jabba Throne right now, right next to me.

I'll save some money because I was collecting in 1998.

Good point. I have that Target Han too.
I guess the difference would be if it lit up, and perhaps the wall behind it, but how spectacular could that be?

Jayspawn
10-31-2008, 01:39 PM
This is cool. But I'll pass as I'm still campaining for a 1:1 scale replica -I'd rather have that.

Tycho
10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
This is cool. But I'll pass as I'm still campaining for a 1:1 scale replica -I'd rather have that.

In the 1990's there was a 1:1 scale available. I'm sure you could track one down on eBay. I think it was Don Post Studios and it was cast off the original Harrison Ford prop. Thus SideShow could equal the production quality, but in terms of sculpt, can't get any more authentic.

I'm sure materials choices and lighting effects could make a difference though.

JediTricks
10-31-2008, 05:21 PM
The Hasbro Target version is sculpted a little odd and it's way too wide. It's ok, but it's not definitive for me.

I never got that light-up one, they repurposed the GI Joe Vietnam Memorial Wall accessory for it and that kinda creeped me out, plus I already had Boushh.

Tycho
10-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Not to mention that Leia Boussh looked like a Barbie doll. They did the same thing with Endor Gear Leia on the speederbike.

Star Wars characters do not smile like they just baked some special cookiees.

Jayspawn
10-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Ebay lists a Carbonite Han prop made by Illusive Concepts from time to time. They do fetch a pretty penny. So I shall wait to see of Sideshow, eFX or Museum Replicas make one.

JediTricks
11-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Ouch! $200
http://affiliates.sideshowtoy.com/Tracker.aspx?aid=1160&href=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sideshowtoy.com%2f%3fpage_id %3d4489%26sku%3d2177%26source%3d110608news%26utm_s ource%3dnewsletter-pers-110608news%26utm_medium%3demail

I mean, I get it, it's not just the slab but the whole alcove and there's a magnet system, but that is the most expensive item for the 12" line to date.

Blue2th
11-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Way too rich for my blood these days. Gonna pass.

Tycho
11-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Ouch! $200

I mean, I get it, it's not just the slab but the whole alcove and there's a magnet system, but that is the most expensive item for the 12" line to date.

I think Jabba's Throne actually was. The whole set-up has run me about $400 so far:

120 - Jabba
45 - Bubbo
45 - Salacious
190 - Jabba's throne? - I guess you're right, JT. I don't remember exactly what the price of the throne was.

But I don't need the alcove and frozen Han. I stand by my 1998.

Bosskman
11-07-2008, 04:21 AM
I got ordered mine. It's gonna look sweet with Boussh and future Jabba's band in front of it. I've scaled way back on my collecting lately so this aint so bad.

jonthejedi
11-07-2008, 05:18 AM
It's "most impressive," but...for $199 I expected lights. I may have to pass. Maybe it'll hit around income tax return time. Where's that stimulus check when you need it??!!

Tycho
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
My friend who buys a lot of this premium collectible stuff posted on SideShow's site to boycott it until they drop the price.

He has the money but doesn't see it being worth that value. So far SideShow hasn't deleted his post.

However, he suggests that if people pay this amount for the Carbonite alcove, SideShow will continue to try and fleece us on other products as well.

I don't know if they are trying to fleece us, but the product is not worth the money to me - especially when I have Hasbro's carbonite block and this is not the action-figure interactive piece I'd dreamt of for this particular collectible.

TheDarthVader
11-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Ditto. I would have loved to put this in my collection, but the price is way too high. Does SS think we are stupid? I am not buying that. I think I am gonna hit ebay up and get a 98 target han in carbonite like the one Tycho owns. ;)

Tycho
11-07-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't know how much it costs SideShow to make this piece.

A business plan would have a goal to make it worthwhile for them: say either a 20% profit (random figure) or to profit indirectly, by encouraging people to buy Jabba, Salacious, Boussh, Fortuna, etc to collect the whole entourage (as Hasbro sells vehicles at a possible loss to sell more figures for their average gain).

OK - that's all good from the supply-side.

On the customer's side - our side - is what they are asking for this piece worth it for us to pay that price? Say the piece was $1,000. Would anyone here pay that? Probably not. So SideShow lowers the price until they start selling the units (or accessory units) that meet their sales goal.

$200 for the piece is still higher than many of us think it is worth.

SideShow might still be trying to see what we will pay. Maybe they will lower the price to $197 and see if that makes a difference (*har-har) But they might find the market will start to buy only at $120 maximum. Then maybe the entire batch of Jabba stuff was too expensive for them to make (throne, Salacious, etc.) They may find it's not a good idea to stay in this business. That's everyone's loss.

However, if they could charge $1,000 for this piece and get some here to pay it, why shouldn't they? If they sold 10 Carbonites for $200, it'd be the same as selling 1 for $1,000. But it's better to have 10 customers than 1.

We'll have to see how this plays out.

In the meanwhile, I really AM satisfied with my 1998. I have a list of SideShow figures that I wish they would make instead: like Momaw Nadon, for example - or Commander Cody for something easily converted from the Utopau Clone Trooper.

The Han Carbonite I'd have bought would have a fully poseable figure you could place inside the Carbonite block and seal in there, with an optional molded cover with clear sections, so you could see your figure in there, and a red transparent cover, so it could look like Han was being "un-frozen." Alternate hands would allow him to hold the "I'm frozen pose" or grip a blaster when he was freed. Add lights to the sides, and I'd have tried to pay $600 for something like this. Maybe SideShow will make that one day?

sergiurusu
11-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I would have considered this even if not into my Imperials focus. But for the price: PASS!

wampaslayr
11-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I have collected all of the 12" line so far and have the Jabba and throne accessory. I did not buy the chess set and will not purchase the carbonite Han. It's a shame that SS is charging that much for something with no articluation or lights or anything to justify that much for a slab of plastic. I also have the 1998 carbonite Han and that is also acceptible to me for display purposes. This piece would have to come down to $100 before I would consider it. Sorry SS, but this time you will not get my money.

LTBasker
11-08-2008, 12:50 AM
I gotta say I really, really like the look of the piece, but am extremely disappointed at the ridiculously high price. Granted, I haven't bought anything from Sideshow but I was hoping to purchase this because I've been really wanting a nice Carbo-Han to put on display.

Maybe they should have offered it by itself, and then an exclusive version with the wall piece?

JediTricks
11-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I think Jabba's Throne actually was. The whole set-up has run me about $400 so far:

120 - Jabba
45 - Bubbo
45 - Salacious
190 - Jabba's throne? - I guess you're right, JT. I don't remember exactly what the price of the throne was.

But I don't need the alcove and frozen Han. I stand by my 1998.Jabba's Throne was also $200, they're both the most expensive. So I was right, from a certain point of view. :p

That '98 thing, it's way wrong next to those Sideshow figs you have. Watch the movie again and you'll see how badly inaccurate it is - it's way too wide, the sculpt is only OK at best, and the deco is nothing to write home about.

It's "most impressive," but...for $199 I expected lights. I may have to pass. Maybe it'll hit around income tax return time. Where's that stimulus check when you need it??!!They did a really nice job with the controls, but I agree, this should have had lights, especially at that price.

The stimulus check was just an advance on a tax break for this year's taxes. They gave you money you had coming to you anyway, it wasn't free money. :p

My friend who buys a lot of this premium collectible stuff posted on SideShow's site to boycott it until they drop the price.

He has the money but doesn't see it being worth that value. So far SideShow hasn't deleted his post.

However, he suggests that if people pay this amount for the Carbonite alcove, SideShow will continue to try and fleece us on other products as well.

I don't know if they are trying to fleece us, but the product is not worth the money to me - especially when I have Hasbro's carbonite block and this is not the action-figure interactive piece I'd dreamt of for this particular collectible.I dunno about that, it's hardly fleecing, it's a big set (the block is over 12" tall since it's in scale to Han figures, and the alcove is much bigger than the block at a foot and a half) and there's a lot of sculpting involved. When you put a Gamorrean Guard and 12" VOTC Boba Fett next to this alcove, you'll get an awesome setup.

Hasbro's carbonite block sucks though.

I have collected all of the 12" line so far and have the Jabba and throne accessory. I did not buy the chess set and will not purchase the carbonite Han. It's a shame that SS is charging that much for something with no articluation or lights or anything to justify that much for a slab of plastic. It's not a slab of plastic, it's highly-sculpted polystone (which, granted, technically is a plastic, but nothing like what we call "plastic" when we talk about 12" figures). Keep in mind, a 12" figure is just a sculpted head on a buck body with clothing and accessories and that's $50-$90, this is finely sculpted everywhere.

I gotta say I really, really like the look of the piece, but am extremely disappointed at the ridiculously high price. Granted, I haven't bought anything from Sideshow but I was hoping to purchase this because I've been really wanting a nice Carbo-Han to put on display.

Maybe they should have offered it by itself, and then an exclusive version with the wall piece?My guess is the wall piece is there to make up for a lot of resources poured into the development on the carbonite block, and is more of a value compensator. Still, for how big this thing is, $125 would have been far more reasonable, Jabba's Throne was $200 and twice as big (though simpler in many aspects).

AmanaMatt
11-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Ouch! $200
http://affiliates.sideshowtoy.com/Tracker.aspx?aid=1160&href=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sideshowtoy.com%2f%3fpage_id %3d4489%26sku%3d2177%26source%3d110608news%26utm_s ource%3dnewsletter-pers-110608news%26utm_medium%3demail

I want it, I do - but at that price, I gotta pass.....man....it looks real nice. Maybe if I can find it for less at one of the online retailers..

JediTricks
11-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I want it, I do - but at that price, I gotta pass.....man....it looks real nice. Maybe if I can find it for less at one of the online retailers..
Tragic, that seems to be a very common message on this piece. I wonder what Sideshow thinks of all this negative feedback.