PDA

View Full Version : Prototype POTJ

Lord Tenebrous
02-18-2002, 08:56 PM
I was going through Toy Fair archives of old, and stumbled upon the prototype of what was to be the POTJ line. And, call me crazy, but I actually like how they look. Maybe it's just seeing what could have been, from the extension of Commtech, to the initial "Bio-Tech" information cards.

With the 'Blue' cards upon us, are you curious as to what Hasbro toyed with before deciding on the unified card? Do you feel POTJ was as successful as it could have been any other way?

As far as the prototype cards, did any of these ever find their way into collector circulation? Or were they destroyed along with the plans for them? They're a little rough looking, but handsome, especially the grainy picture of Obi-Wan in a modified stance.

Lord Tenebrous
02-18-2002, 08:57 PM
Card Back. Notice the presense of long-time fugitives Lott and Nute (Holo)

Turbowars
02-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Cool photo's, I haven't seen those before. I think the POTJ line was a success and still is. I'm sad to see it go. One thing for sure, I'm glad they got rid of those stupid commtech chips.

Beast
02-18-2002, 09:09 PM
Looks good, I think that the black and the green really makes it look more like a new line expanded from the original POTF2 and E1 lines then the all green they ended up doing. Still don't like the Obi-Wan on the card, but atleast they went with more of a picture on the actual release card then a painting of him.

Man, I really wish they would hurry up and release the Holo Nute Gunray and Lott Dod. We finally got Shmi and Sabe in the POTJ would be nice to pick up these two neimodians for my dioramas. Heck, they need to give us a Daulty Dofine and Tey How as well, and then I'll be happy.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

GNT
02-19-2002, 01:07 AM
Well I know that the 12" Boss Nass in the proto POTJ package got out and was sold on Ebay but I doubt that any figures on that package got out as we would have heard about it,I do know that the early POTJ figures were found on the Red cards and old green commetch cards (Eg Senate Guard,Tusken,Mas and Chewbacca) as i have pictures of them :)

better

sith_killer_99
02-19-2002, 04:40 PM
Ugly!!!

Boy do I sure wish I had some of this stuff in hand.:D

I remember prototype stuff going around back when Hasbro ended the EP1 line. They also had the oval CommTech Chip Part 2 "Attack of the Marketing Deptment"!

Hey, does anybody remember that picture of the POTJ Chewie with an oval CommTech chip packaged in the top of the bubble. hehehehe

I also remember Hasbro working on Lott Dodd back in the middle of the EP1 line!!! What's going on with this guy. Is Hasbro being run by a bunch of idiots? Oops silly question!

Shmi Skywalker should have gotten an EP1 card and CommTech Chip....DA%N YOU HASBRO!!!:mad:

neimoidian85
02-19-2002, 05:54 PM
Qui-Gon prototype (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1705026471)

Prett sweet, eh? That stupid Qui-Gon figure that is going to be released in the new line.

Beast
02-19-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by neimoidian85
Qui-Gon prototype (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1705026471)
Prett sweet, eh? That stupid Qui-Gon figure that is going to be released in the new line.
Could be worse, it could have been another Darth Maul. Atleast Qui-Gon hasn't had as many versions as Maul or Obi-Wan have. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-19-2002, 06:39 PM
Yeah, but do we need a Qui-Gon that's worse than any of the last Qui-Gons released? :D

Turbowars
02-19-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Yeah, but do we need a Qui-Gon that's worse than any of the last Qui-Gons released? :D Hasbro seems to think so! They also think we need one pose figures and huge bubbles with nothing in them but gimmicks. Forget about EP2 bring on the CLASSICS I say!!!!!!!

sith_killer_99
02-19-2002, 09:09 PM
EP II? CLASSICS?

They have all fallen prey to Hasbro's new line!

Amanamike
02-20-2002, 01:13 AM
Wahts with that price tag on that figure on ebay?? Im glad to see NO BIDS!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahaha

Beast
02-20-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Amanamike
Wahts with that price tag on that figure on ebay?? Im glad to see NO BIDS!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahaha
Prototypes occassionally go that high, especially unreleased stuff. But most people don't start them at 430.00, either. That just turns people off. I think the Qui is pretty nice looking, actually. Hopefully the final released version in the new line will look as good as the prototype does. Plus this gives me hope, we saw the release of the originally cancelled Shmi, Sabe, and now Qui-Gon. Plus the Security Battle Droid is similar to the one released in POTJ. Hopefully that means we will see the Lott Dod and Holo Nute Gunray sometime in the future as well. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks