PDA

View Full Version : We Need A Good R2-D2 Shield Bunker Damage

Tycho
11-10-2008, 01:20 PM
The R2D2 figure that comes with the Endor Battle Pack pretty much sucks.

It seems like extra tools and pannels were just glued on an old R2D2 mold.

Most battlepack figures are cheap kit-bashes anyway.

But this could be an incredibly well detailed and well-painted R2D2 that's different from any CARDED figure of him that we've ever got.

I think this R2 needs to be redone with a completely all-new mold.

pbarnard
11-10-2008, 01:50 PM
The problem becomes do you want to have the R2 in the process of being shorted out or R2-post shock. If you want the little bolts arcing all over the place (not accurate, but visually appealing), than we'll probably have to accept the Hasbro Compromise. It would be possible to do the already fried droid to the accuracy you so speak. It would make a fine variant to the R2 mold.

DarkJedi5
11-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I guess I would just love to see the "swiss-army" R2. The one that has as many opening panels as possible with all the extendable arms and gadgets. I think a figure like this, if done well, would be the last R2 they would need to sculpt. It could be used in just about any scene and with the blue electric things from the sneak preview AOTC R2 unit could become the sheild generator R2 we're missing. Agreed that the new one is crap. I was hoping for the panels and arms to be on the droid, not stuck to the lightning. Mine doesn't even line up all that well after having taken it off once.

Tycho
11-10-2008, 02:49 PM
That's a good idea:

the Swiss Army R2D2

Paint variations can have him "carbon scarred" or not.

Adding the electrical arc from the AOTC Sneak Preview Droid would be just fine.

I don't think the costs would allow removeable gadgets or closing pannels, so the "Swiss Army R2" would be permanently "opened up." However, just use an older R2D2 figure if you don't want him opened up. In the meantime, this would be a really cool sculpt.

DarkArtist
11-10-2008, 08:07 PM
while i agree that a "swiss army knife" version of R2 would rock, and be perfect in everyway, and be the very last R2 figure we would ever need, i must say...................

a small part of me actually likes the version that comes in the battlepack. I think it was an OK attempt by Hasbro to give us a way to have blasted R2

obi-dad
11-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I agree, I haven't removed mine from the BP yet, but it wasn't until my 2nd or 3rd look that I noticed what they actually did. If I had it in my hand and was looking at it close, it would probably bother me more, but when I have it as one of the figures in my diorama, I don't believe it will really stand out that much, so I'm fairly pleased with it. But the "Swiss Army" R2 would definitely rock and I'm sure Hasbro could still make the blue electric shock attachment that could go around the R2 and opened R2 attacments.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-11-2008, 01:30 PM
I still want a few more R2-D2 figures:

*plain, clean, and using the R4-G9 mold with the non-shiny dome
*Tatooine weathering with the aforementioned R3-T7 electric effect (perhaps in a pack with some Jawas)
*with a fire extinguisher and smoke effect
*with an actual sensorscope as seen on Hoth
*with a pop-up lightsaber that functions as seen in the movie (can just slide up, it doesn't need to fire and probably couldn't anyway due to safety restrictions)
*with an electric shocker (that he uses on Salacious Crumb and Teebo)
*shield bunker without the blue stuff (but not that high on the list)
*repaint of ROTS rocket boosters figure to be clean as in AOTC
*with gadgets out as on the Invisible Hand

I guess some of these features could be combined on a single figure, but when they put too much on, it tends to lose quality. I would also love to see a realistic style R2 with the pop-out gadgets like on the Clone Wars one.

DarkJedi5
11-11-2008, 02:17 PM
What about more attachments for the VOTC style R2? I mean, to get the bunker version you would need a couple panels that could open, like the CW version, with different arms and accessories you could plug in.

JediTricks
11-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I want this figure, but when I saw what Hasbro did, just building the panels into the arcing effect, I was disgusted. All the elements are misshapen and painted wonky and don't sell the concept at all. I know they tried, but this one is a long way from filling the need the figure presents.

FundingMyAddiction
11-12-2008, 12:30 AM
I still want a few more R2-D2 figures:

*plain, clean, and using the R4-G9 mold with the non-shiny dome
*Tatooine weathering with the aforementioned R3-T7 electric effect (perhaps in a pack with some Jawas)
*with a fire extinguisher and smoke effect
*with an actual sensorscope as seen on Hoth
*with a pop-up lightsaber that functions as seen in the movie (can just slide up, it doesn't need to fire and probably couldn't anyway due to safety restrictions)
*with an electric shocker (that he uses on Salacious Crumb and Teebo)
*shield bunker without the blue stuff (but not that high on the list)
*repaint of ROTS rocket boosters figure to be clean as in AOTC
*with gadgets out as on the Invisible Hand

I'm fairly sure they made an R2 with a sensorscope that you could extend from the top of his dome.

As for the pop up lightsaber, I'm positive it's been done. I don't remember what line it was released in, but I have it sitting in one of my rooms right now. You press the front panel in and it actually ejects the lightsaber a good distance. The lightsaber looks a bit odd because they had to sculpt it to lock into the unit. And the hilt does stick out when it's all the way locked in. But the pop up feature is pretty damn nifty.

JediTricks
11-12-2008, 01:59 AM
The sensorscope on Hoth is a radar dish that comes out of the center panel on the top of the dome, not the periscope eye seen on Dagobah. We haven't had an R2 with that particular feature in the modern line.

As for the pop-up lightsaber, we haven't had one on an R2 that looked normal and had a saber hilt without blade. The saber R2 we got in POTF2 is lit and deformed, and the the middle leg on the figure is oversized to accommodate the launching mechanism.

DarkArtist
11-20-2008, 07:20 AM
spotted a tampered with Attack of the Shield Generator this morning at Wally World.....they replaced the Han with a Comm Tech version, the Biker Scout was at least VOTC, the Imperial Officer was replaced with a Saga blond hair officer and R2 was the POTJ escape from Naboo. I almost grabbed it and put it in the cart till i noticed the Han. the best was that all the guns were missing and the person who did the swapping actually took the time to replace all the rubber bands to secure the figures in place

obi-dad
11-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I still haven't opened this set yet, but looked at R2 for awhile and I am getting more disappointed with it the more I look at it. It's fine for a background figure in a scene (diorama or just a large group of figs), but is that what Hasbro is striving for? ... figures that look ok if you don't look at them closely or play with them? It doesn't really seem like it would have taken much more effort to make this same figure, with R2's extended parts coming from him, not painted parts of the energy blast.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-20-2008, 05:24 PM
I hadn't opened this set up either, though for me the R2 was just a perk, and not the real meat and potatos, as i wanted Nick Sant, and the Officer. The Han (Custom Fodder) and R2...was meh. Even though i do hope hasbro actually makes a good R2 some day.