PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Shelves and Shipments

Obsession is Nute
11-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Perhaps this question has been asked or answered before, if so, I apologize.

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the internals of our regular toy retailers (Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us)?

Specifically, if there is any traditional or predictable way to know when they recieve shipments or stock shelves? Is it each store unto itself or are there general practices observed throughout the company?

I worked at a grocery store and we ordered our things from warehouse companies that would arrive on certain days, then be stocked during the day. I gather that our toy retailers may do something different.

Just curious! Thanks in advance for any info provided!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Perhaps this question has been asked or answered before, if so, I apologize.

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the internals of our regular toy retailers (Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us)?

Specifically, if there is any traditional or predictable way to know when they recieve shipments or stock shelves? Is it each store unto itself or are there general practices observed throughout the company?

I worked at a grocery store and we ordered our things from warehouse companies that would arrive on certain days, then be stocked during the day. I gather that our toy retailers may do something different.

Just curious! Thanks in advance for any info provided!

From my own retail experience at wal-mart I can tell you the following:

1. Order is sometimes done manually, but most of the time, once something gets too low on quantity, it's ordered automatically in the computer. Most wal-marts stock a lot of their stuff overnight, but I have seen people working stock during the day that is composed of older stuff and boxes that just didn't get worked the night before.

If you have a REALLY helpful associate at wal-mart, they can scan the item and see if they have more in the back AND if any are on order or are coming in the nights shipment. I know most stores can scan if they have more in the back, but I don't know about what's on order, etc.

2. TRU- are stocked early in the mornings before the store opens.
3. Target- Mostly done in the morning before they open and throughout the afternoon, much like WM.

:thumbsup:

DarkJedi5
11-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Also, I've found that if you ask some one in the toy section (or at customer service at TRU) they know when the orders usually come in and can at least tell you what days you're likely to have better luck finding new product.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Also, I've found that if you ask some one in the toy section (or at customer service at TRU) they know when the orders usually come in and can at least tell you what days you're likely to have better luck finding new product.

Very true. I think the truck days for TrU are something like fridays and tuesdays. Meaning, they SHOULD have new product on the floor when the store opens on those mornings. :thumbsup:

Thunderbird
11-10-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure if it still like this but after Thanksgiving, TRU gets trucks eveyday. At least it used to be this way a few years back.

tagmac
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
These days, it's more about being lucky than anything else. Personally, I think they're holding back on a lot of product until Black Friday, although I have no desire to try to fight crowds that will buy everything new up before 10AM, to not be seen on the shelves again until February..

DarkJedi5
11-12-2008, 02:19 PM
That's the reason I never once got a new Star Wars figure for Xmas, only duplicates cause all the new stuff was gone after the initial crush.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-12-2008, 04:13 PM
I currently work at Wal-Mart, and i can tell you when it comes to toys: you just gotta be lucky. Most wal-marts from my general knowledge have 90% of the stock up by 5 AM, so if you travel around early like i normally do, you tend to find the new stuff.

Also most orders now or days are done by the computer, and never get manually ordered unless someone higher than a store manager okays the order. (At least that's how it is at my store.) Though the computer has done a great job with the Clone Wars and LEgacy stuff....nothing like TAC, which was a nightmare for most Wal-Marts in my part of the world.

VidKidd
11-17-2008, 12:43 AM
i worked at target for 4 1/2 years and i know is still done the same way now from when i quit almost 2 years ago. so heres the few possibilities.
1-If you have a "bigger" target then they get trucks every night

2- If you have a smaller target like the one i worked in, trucks did not come on thursdays and sundays but come everyday the rest of the week.

3-now most the items are stocked before the store opens. UNLESS they are running behind, then it depends where toys is located in the store, i know most around here where i live toys is in the back. And sense the floor is tech. supposed to be stocked from the front to the back toys is one of the departments that gets done last.

4- also during the holidays the trucks are more in demand, bigger stores get at least 2 a night and smaller stores get one every night and sometimes 2 about 1 or 2 times a week.

5- now target pulls merch from the stockroom at these times.
smaller stores at either 1 or2pm,and 5pm. computer tallys what items have sold and need to be put out.
bigger stores at 11am ,1 or 2pm, and 5 pm

now during the holidays they pull more often
smaller stores at 11am, 1-2pm, 5pm, and 7 pm
bigger stores at 11 am, 1-2pm,5pm, and 7pm, and when they stay open till 11 i think there may also be a 9pm pull

hope this helps you out a bit