PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Comic Books

SithDroid
02-19-2002, 12:37 AM
What are some of your favorite comics books to read and collect?

Mine are:

Any X-Title (X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Force, Wolverine, etc..)

G.I.Joe (new series)

Battle chasers (love the story and have always liked Madieura)

Fathom (not so much for the story, but for the artwork)

Witchblade (same as above, but only when Turner was still artist)

Danger Girl (Love Campbells artwork, story is so, so)

Gen 13 (When Campbell was artist)

Lady Pendragon

Ascension (interesting story with great artwork)

Any Spiderman Title

And of Course....

Any Star Wars comic

How about you?

SithDroid
02-19-2002, 12:40 AM
Also, is it just me or has the price of comics gotten way out of hand. I remember when I started collecting comics, about 14 years ago, that they were no more than $1.00 a piece. Nowadays they are $2.25, $2.50, $2.95+. Doesn't it seem like the price has gotten way out of control? I collect less and less each year due to the price increase, plus Marvel or Image always has to put out a whole new spinoff series to make more money.

PloKoon2385
02-19-2002, 12:49 AM
I prefer Star Wars over anything. I also on occasion buy an X-Men comic or Spiderman and every once in a while I will get a JLA book.

Wolfwood319
02-19-2002, 02:34 AM
I read most of the Marvel and DC mainstays just to see where there at. Especially X-Men, although the x-books haven't really been great in a long time, IMO

Spider-man is still at the top of my "to read" pile.

I like anything Alan Moore or Frank Miller. I read almost any and all ABC books from Moore.

Currently, Lone Wolf and Cub, by far one of the greatest stories ever.

DK2, pricey, I didn't like the second book, but who isn't reading this?

And my all time favorite comic, Daredevil, still one of the best books out there.

I read a lot more Manga now than American comics, comics in general have been going down hill since Image was founded. (No, I'm not blaming Image, its just a coincidence)

dr_evazan22
02-19-2002, 08:35 AM
Hey Wolfwood, I agree w/ what you said about Spidey, the X-books and comics in general.

Right now I only buy Spidey and SW. The monthly SW started out great, for about the first 12-15 issues, but it hasn't kept up the same level, IMO. I especially liked reading about Ki-Adi-Mundi, then seeing him in the movie.

Another great series is DC/Vertigo's Sandman by Gaiman.

My rpoblem w/ comics in general is that Metropolis, Gotham, or the entire universe is always destroyed, or threatened at least once a year, our time. Comic time, it's got to be only a few weeks to months. In addition, too many characters are being brought back from the dead.

I picked up the books for 9/11 recently. Most of the stories, IMO, were so-so, with a few gems hiding in there somewhere(there 2 from the indepentent issue: 1 about a prison guard during a riot, and the other about some artist who said nothing will go back the way it was, then a pretty girl walks by and catches his eye). The stories that kind of ****ed me off, and makes me want to swear off comics were the ones with superheroes helping out the fire fighters and cops and construction workers. ARGHH! I get upset just thinking about them.

JetsAndHeels
02-19-2002, 08:46 AM
Fav comics:
-Star Wars, of course
-Superman
-JLA
-X-Men
-Witchblade
-Preacher

There are a few others, but these are the ones I usually go for.

SithDroid
02-19-2002, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah, I fogot about Sandman. I love that series. I also want to start reading Planetary and The Authority. I've heard great things about these series.

I agree with bringing back too many dead characters. I rememeber when Superman got killed by Doomsday and I bought the Black cover edition thinking that it would be a collectors item, but what do they do, bring him back to life and we also get two or three new spinoff books. I swear the only time they kill characters off is so that they can increase sales. I should have known that they weren't really going to kill off Superman their FLAGSHIP character. Also how many times can the Flash be killed, what is it like our 4th or 5th Flash now. We're on our 3rd or 4th Robin. That is why I can't read any DC comics. Too confusing. Not to say that Marvel isn't confusing, but it isn't as messed up as DC.

Wolfwood319
02-19-2002, 02:59 PM
DC definately has a looser policy on killing off characters/destroying planets. Marvel does have some sense though, they don't kill of characters as much, and a good 25% of the time, if they're killed off, they stay dead.

Gaiman's Sandman is great, but even better, IMO, is Sandman Mystery Theater. It started as cash-in to the Sandman success, but turned out to be a really great series with one of the Golden Age's greatest characters.

Also from Vertigo; Preacher and Hellblazer. Both excellent.

dr_evazan22
02-19-2002, 03:37 PM
I'll have to look at the Sandman Mystery Theatre. On the subject of Sandman, the couple Death TPB's are pretty good, and DAMN is HOT!

I thought that the whole Death Of Supes was pretty well done; I didn't expect him to stay dead. I liked reading about the 4 new Supes that popped up, although I thought that Doomsday was/is a weak character.

One character brought back by Marvel that I'm not to fond of is Green Goblin/Norman Osborn!
I thought that the Clone story started off pretty well, and then at the end to find out the Gob was behind it, well it kills me!!!!! (Luckily I keep coming back like a bad dream) They wrote the resurrected Gob like he was Spidey's eternal enemy. Now, as long as there's a spidey, there's a Gob.

One Spidey story that kept me on the edge of my seat was the original Hobgoblin. The suspense of finding out who it was was great! They had incredible battles, then Hobby would mislead Spidey for a few months! It was great!
I forget who the original Hooby was... was it Ned Leeds? No wait, Roderick Kingsley?

SithDroid
02-19-2002, 08:52 PM
I used to collect Spiderman but got out of it around the time of the clone thing witht he Scarlet Spider. Things just got way too confusing. But now that the movie is out and the series looks liek it is taking a nice turn, I might start up again. Plus I'd like to read the new Spidergirl series.

I agree the Hobgoblin storyline was great.

I think the movie will help the Green Goblin and we will probably see more of him in the comics now.

El Chuxter
02-19-2002, 10:33 PM
I used to love Spider-Man in the early 1990s, especially McFarlane's and Larsen gorgeous runs on Amazing and "Adjectiveless" Spidey, and J M Dematteis (sp?) dark psychological tales of characters like Vermin, the Vulture, and Harry "Green Goblin" Osborne in Spectacular. But the clone dealio killed it for me.

I liked X-Men back then, but it couldn't stand up for more than a year or so after Claremont's departure and Byrne's disappointingly short attachment to the books.

I loved Sleepwalker, Morbius, and Deathlok around that time, too, but Marvel has an annoying habit of cancelling their better books and killing off the title characters.

Until recently, I read Superman and Batman. Myself, I think DC's got a better handle on their characters than Marvel could get on theirs. And--with a few exceptions (Green Lantern! Guy Gardner!) they seem to respect the characters more. But Batman has a habit of building up incredible epics (like Year III/Lonely Place of Dying, Knightfall/Knightquest/Knightsend, and Cataclysm/Aftershocks/Road to No Man's Land/No Man's land) and then fizzling out shortly therafter.

My all time favorite books were the first runs of GIJoe: A Real American Hero and The Transformers. (I literally almost peed in my pants a few weeks ago when I saw the prices these now command!) The new Image GIJoe has been excellent so far as well--far better than the short-lived Transformers: Generation 2 comic. From the preview I saw of Dreamwave's new TF comic, I'll pick it up but my expectations aren't nearly as high.

I read SW comics, but I've started waiting for the paperback collections of them, since they often add stuff. At $3 and more a book, comics overall are getting too pricey to read more than a couple regularly. And, sorry, but Quinlan Vos can't hold my interest like a certain black-clad, Uzi-wielding Vietnam-vet-turned Arishikage Master. (Kudos to everyone who knows who I'm talking about.)

PloKoon2385
02-19-2002, 10:49 PM
After the whole Onslaught thing back in the nineties, I stopped completely. I used to be really into it. I was like 10 and had all the action figures and read Spider Man, The Avengers, and X-Men but after the Onslaught thing, and everything was started over, I quit. I started up a little by reading the Ultimate Spider Man graphic novel, but haven't really gotten back into it. Then I started reading Star Wars......and my comic life changed. Jedi Council: Acts of War was my first Star Wars comic and first comic since Onslaught.

SithDroid
02-19-2002, 11:28 PM
The onslaught series is kind of interesting. I know a lot of people haven't liked X-Men the past few years, but I have. Things recently have been taking a twist with Cyclops supposed death, his resurgance and his new attitude, Cyclops and Jean Grey not a couple anymore, Wolverine shacking up with Jean Grey, Colossus's death, The Origin of Wolverine, the Twelve storyline. etc.. I think it has been interesting.

Also, I loved the McFarlane run on Spidey as well.

Wolfwood319
02-20-2002, 12:05 AM
I didn't like Onslaught at all, during that time, I started reading DC more.

Some of the more recent X-Men has been decent, my complaint is the fact that with New X-Men and Uncanny, there are a lot of things going on, but I have yet to see a point.

Beast has turned cat-like, Collossus was killed off for no better reason then to finish of the Legacy Virus storyline easier. The 12 was built up for some time, then it turned out like any other X crossover (Did anyone think Cyclops was NOT coming back?) Now Magneto is supposedly dead, Professor X has a twin sister, there are new members who just kind of dropped into the team without any real reason...

I especially didn't like Claremont's recent run on X-Men. Did anybody know what was going on? I've read every core X book for almost 2 decades, and I didn't know what was going on.

Spidey definately seems back on track though. JMS is a good writer, and we're back to good storylines. My only complaint, bring back real villains.

Did anyone like that "Nuff said" gimmick in December? Every issue I read seemed short and pointless.

PloKoon2385
02-20-2002, 01:35 AM
What would you suggest I read? I particularly need the comics to have good artwork, like Star Wars. And I need interesting, not too wordy stories. Which one do you think would be easiest to just pick up and start reading without too much background knowledge?

SithDroid
02-20-2002, 09:40 AM
Wolfwood319... I can see your point, each to his own I guess. I also agree with the "Nuff said" stuff. Is it just me or does Marvel always put the Nuff said on the cover when they can't think of anything better to put. It seems this phrase has been WAY overused.

PloKoon2385. It just depends on what kind of stuff you are into. I like SW, so I collect the comics. Let me see if I can help.

Any artwork by the following artists is worth getting (Joe Madierua, Michael Turner, and J. Campbell).

Madierua has taken a break from comics, but his latest series Battle Chasers only has about 9 issues and the story and artwork are great.

Turner is the one who made Witchblade famous and can currently be seen doing Fathom, a book that is only at issue 14 right now. Story has yet to grow on me.

Campbell can be currently seen doing Danger Girl, a series at issue 9 I believe. Interesting concept, kind of like a Charlie's Angels comic.

As far as story goes, Neil Gaiman's Sandman is a good series. It ran for 75 issues and ended, but was later re-released in second printings.

That's all I have for now. I'll post more later.

El Chuxter
02-20-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
Things recently have been taking a twist with Cyclops supposed death, his resurgance and his new attitude, Cyclops and Jean Grey not a couple anymore, Wolverine shacking up with Jean Grey, Colossus's death, The Origin of Wolverine, the Twelve storyline. etc.

Sounds like more than enough reason for me to stay away from them! :) Especially Wolvie's origin. Better to leave it mysterious.

I'd completely blocked Onslaught out of my mind. What I read was truly horrid. Imagine, a bunch of second-rate writers twisting Jean Grey's recorded message--which was obviously about Gambit--into a warning against Professor X? Yeah, you can fit a whole diatribe about the effects of "shutting down" in a second of static! :rolleyes:

PloKoon2385
02-20-2002, 11:30 PM
I prefer Marvel (besides Star Wars, of course) What's the best Marvel out there right now?

Wolfwood319
02-21-2002, 02:41 AM
Marvel's best right now, IMO, is Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, and Ultimate Spider-man. Any new issue of any of these titles is decent, but here's the kicker;

For about a year, every single story arch for every single core title is put into TPB form no later than 6 months after the actual arch in the series ended.

You could pick up Uncanny X-Men: Poptopia, Ultimate Spider-Man volumes 1, Ultimate X-Men volume 1, etc.

So if you don't feel like getting 6 issues, you can pick up the TPB for $15.

I really reccomend J. Michael Stryzinsky's (sp?) first story arch on Amazing Spider-Man. He's only written about 8 issues, and the first 5 or so are already in TPB format.

Darth Rage
02-24-2002, 04:06 AM
My favorites are all starwars comics, The Sandman and Spawn comics...:D

preacher
02-24-2002, 08:00 PM
In no particular order

1) All Star Wars Comics - except Starcrash (sucked beyond all suck)

2) Sandman (most elaborate universe in Vertigo comics, rivals Star Wars in my opinion)

3) Transmetropolitan - (Spider Jerusalem is a mean SOB...I love the guy though - and the cyberpunk era has never been described so vividly)

4) Planetary - (I've had to read the previous issues many times to really appreciate it. X files stinks in comparison)

5) Punisher - (Garth Ennis figured out Frank to a "T")

6) Fury - (Another Garth Ennis special, very political messages and the good Col. actually cusses instead of *!&$)

7) Top 10 (A comic where the norm is to be a superhero whats not to love?)

8) Promethea (Man this comic is deep, and has the absolute most beautiful art I've seen in a comic yet)

9) Ultimate Spiderman (Finally Somebody brings Peter home fresh)

10) Pilgrim (A very interesting take on what life on earth is going to be like once the sun starts to die)

11) V is for Vendetta (The anti-hero V is extremely interesting)

12) Watchmen (If you can't figure out why...you havn't read it!)

13) Captain Marvel (This one will keep you guessing. You never know which direction each issue will take you)

And my all time favorite comic is

PREACHER (Man I really wish Garth Ennis hadn't ended this one)

Brave Sir Robin
02-26-2002, 08:29 PM
Batman- the best superhero ever.
Spiderman
Usagi Yojimbo
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the pre kids cartoon comic, although I loved the show as well)
X-Men
Pretty much all of the Dark Horse Star Wars titles, particularly the novel adaptions.

Lobito
02-27-2002, 01:00 PM
Superman, Batman, Spiderman, X-men, Green Lantern, Wolverine, Etc.. i used to buy tons of comics but now the only comics i'm interested in buying are Star Wars related.