PDA

View Full Version : I'm Having Emergency Surgery On Monday

Tycho
11-15-2008, 06:10 PM
My catheter in my chest might be failing. Dialysis on Friday didnít go so well and Iíve been ordered to report for a new surgical proceedure to place another catheter. My artery theyíre using for dialysis might be collapsing.

This is just great. On top of it, my grandmother is 91 and suffering from multiple strokes and lays dying in a hospital about a 90 minute drive away. I have been going to visit her nightly - often after dialysis at my home treatment center.

I donít even know if the changes in nurses at my dialysis center has helped bring this about. The LVN who worked with me for nearly 6 months never had a problem with my dialyzing. Now the RN whoís rotated to serving my area in the clinic is having problems. I just donít trust her competance.

Not only that, but on Monday, I think I will have to report for surgery entirely alone. My family is with my grandma, as they should be. This is fun.

Rocketboy
11-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Ouch. I'm really sorry to hear it.

I really hope everything goes well.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Damn dude, i'm sorry to hear that.

Best wishes with your surgery and with your grandmother.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Tycho this is just a bump in the road. You will bounce back in no time.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Sorry to hear about another setback. Hopefully it will all go well, though.

Jedi_Kal-El
11-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Sorry to hear it Josh. I hope all goes well with you and your grandmother.

Slicker
11-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Man, Josh. You unfortunately just can't catch a break can you? Like was said above, it's just another little bump in the road. Things are definitely gonna get better. I've gotta have SOMEWHERE to stay when come through San Diego again!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Think positively. May not seem like much, but it can't hurt, either. We're pulling for you. :thumbsup: Ask them to choose "Mouse Droid" scent for your anesthesia. :pleased:

JetsAndHeels
11-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Best wishes to you and your grandmother Josh.

DarthBrandon
11-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Good luck Tycho (Josh),

I hope all goes well for you & your grandmother.

TC & Peace

DB

Phantom-like Menace
11-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Best wishes, of course. We'll all think about you and yours.

Snowtrooper
11-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Hope it all turns out well for you.

sith_killer_99
11-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Josh, we're all pulling for you. Stay positive and we all hope to see you soon.

figrin bran
11-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Best wishes Tycho!

El Chuxter
11-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Wow, Tycho, I come back and read this. Hopefully you'll see this before you go in, but I'm sending you my best and praying for you. (But not quoting scripture to you. I know you don't like that. ;))

jjreason
11-16-2008, 08:21 PM
We're all pulling for you, Tycho. Stay positive.

bobafrett
11-17-2008, 05:33 AM
Good Luck with your surgery today buddy. As you can read, you got a lot of people who care about you here. Your a good man, and a good friend, but probably not one of the best star pilots in the galaxy.

Kidhuman
11-17-2008, 06:03 AM
BEst of luck Josh. I will keep you in prayer.

Tycho
11-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Thank you for your well-wishes. I'm understandably nervous.

Here's the plan:

I'm waiting for a medical transport to pick me up at my home about 10am PST. I'm not allowed to drive for 24 hours when given anesthesia.

The med-transport will take me to the surgery site. It's a special vascular access out-patient facility they established to help San Diego's dialysis patients. (I wonder if I really need this or it's a scam to bill insurance companies to keep this new business going? But I was warned that the temporary access I have - catheter tubes in my chest - were just that - temporary. I am holding out for a transplant before I need ugly vascular surgery and then needles stuck in my arm. This catheter comes out of me without there ever being a trace of it - if I can use it for the rest of the time I need to for dialysis. Here's to hoping I have the kidney transplant in the next 2 months - which I am led to believe is the new plan.)

After I come out of surgery and wake up, at like 11:30am PST, my friend is picking me up and taking me to eat. I have not been allowed food or water (I've cheated on the second part of that) since midnight.

Then I get dropped off at dialysis after lunch, and I stay there for 4 hours.

A different friend will drive me home around 6pm.

I plan to watch the Terminator tv show at 8pm. I'll post before or after that (after 9pm PST).

I hope this will not result in a new round of discomfort and pain - but last time I had trouble turning my neck and felt funny (like I had to swallow food) when this was freshly placed in me. They plan to use the same surgery site, so it may be less surgical and more about "replacing my Borg parts." Hopefully that's what this entails and not going in the other side of my neck. But Resistance is Futile.

I had this proceedure once before - when I got off the operating table and called SideShow to order Aayla Secura. Today there is no Star Wars figure to order while I'm on drugs though. Add to the list of things I have to be bummed about.

My other worry is of course my grandma. I will not be able to see her today and because they are concerned with her, I have not let all my family know I am having this proceedure. I am very lucky to have 2 good friends in the San Diego area that I can count on to help me get around today when it's too dangerous for me to drive.

Anyway, for the moment, I'll be in the Rancor Pit. I noticed a good fight there and I love to "brawl." I'll talk to all my friends here again shortly.

Tycho
11-17-2008, 11:45 PM
I started the day waiting for a medical transport because I wasn't going to be allowed to drive for 24 hrs if they knocked me out with anesthesia.

I got picked up about 10am, then got to the med center by 10:30, and then waited until 1pm for the proceedure. It was late starting, finishing, and I was throwing up, or dry-heaving, because they told me I could not eat or drink anything since midnight last night.

Finally they finished and my friend David picked me up and drove me to dialysis. First we stopped at a Mexican restaurant and I bought him lunch. I was starving myself. I had a carnitas taco. You remember these things when you haven't been able to eat for more than 13 hours.

Then I was at dialysis for 4 hours and my friend Michael picked me up and drove me home. I treated him to dinner and we had Italian and caught up on stuff.

Right now the spot on my chest just below my right shoulder is tender and the pain can spike now and then, but hopefully this is done and it's good to go for as many more months as I need to use it for dialysis for. The thing goes straight into my heart. That's scary. I saw a picture of it.

Anyway, that's all the news. I came home after dinner and watched Terminator on FOX. Now I'm on the computer for a little while before I go to bed.

Tomorrow I will try to get up to OC to see my grandma. There's no change and she's just clinging on to life. We hear that she is being transfered out of the hospital and into hospice care until she passes.
:(

The next time I post a bulletin, I'll try and make it a happier one about my book or something that helps us all escape for a little while.

- Josh

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-18-2008, 01:15 AM
That's too bad about your grandma, but it's good to hear that your surgery went well.

Darth Jax
11-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Tomorrow I will try to get up to OC to see my grandma. There's no change and she's just clinging on to life. We hear that she is being transfered out of the hospital and into hospice care until she passes.

The next time I post a bulletin, I'll try and make it a happier one about my book or something that helps us all escape for a little while.

- Josh

Hope you can make it to visit her at least one more time.

Just having you around to continue posting is good enough for me.

Old Fossil
11-19-2008, 08:27 AM
You have a lot on your plate right now, Josh. I wish you luck, though you've shown time and again that you have a strength and tenacity that almost makes luck irrelevant.

Keep on keeping on, man.:thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
11-19-2008, 06:16 PM

I wish I could DO something for you!!

*hugs*