PDA

View Full Version : any suggestions on customizing this case

VidKidd
11-16-2008, 11:32 PM
sorry if this is being put in the wrong area. I couldn't find a section it would fit into. If there's one sorry my bad. lol anyhow, I have this custom case I'm gonna do. Back in july i bought this.
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/jedividkidd/PART_1226897517573.jpg

I got it for $80. it was a few days before comic con and i had the extra cash saved up so I figured i could buy it and doctor it up and make it nice looking. Ive got a father who does wood working and he said the glass was worth that if not more alone. so i figured it was a steal. The glass is in great condition and the wood needs a little tlc.
SO my questions is if anyone has an suggestions what i can do to make it look nice. its about 5 1/2 feet long, about 4 feet tall, glass part being about 11-12 inches, and about 2 feet wide.
I was thinking on painting it black, putting black felt inside to replace the grey. and getting some kind of decal of the starwars logo and placing it in the front center. It also has to indented areas that are red right now, i was thinking on making them yellow. That the two yellow stripes with the logo might look nice.
I'm gonna use it to display my GG bust and things of that nature.
Oh and it's got a light inside too. Let me know if you've got any suggestions.

DarkJedi5
11-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I would do the front black with a star field and make the Star Wars logo bigger so that the Star was on one pannel and the Wars on the lower.

pbarnard
11-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Lighting. Nothing sucks more to have something all tricked out with decals and paint and be unable to see it at all because the shelving itself casts such a dark shadow now that your decals have made the stuff exist in a black hole unable to be seen.

El Chuxter
11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Paint a naked lady on it. Preferably a fat one who doesn't shave her legs.

Jedi_Kal-El
11-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Paint a naked lady on it. Preferably a fat one who doesn't shave her legs.

Oh how I've missed your humor Chux.

bigbarada
11-17-2008, 12:50 PM
I would suggest just painting the base solid gloss black with maybe some subdued "Death Star walls" type designs on it, but nothing too fancy, because you don't want the case to draw attention away from what's inside of it.

I would also suggest using a light colored felt for the inside, maybe white or a pale yellow, which would allow light to bounce around inside more and give your busts a more dynamic look. Black will just soak up all the light and make the display appear eternally dim. You'll be able to get better illumination with a lower watt bulb by using lighter colors inside.

TeeEye7
11-17-2008, 03:03 PM
I would suggest just painting the base solid gloss black with maybe some subdued "Death Star walls" type designs on it, but nothing too fancy, because you don't want the case to draw attention away from what's inside of it.

I would also suggest using a light colored felt for the inside, maybe white or a pale yellow, which would allow light to bounce around inside more and give your busts a more dynamic look. Black will just soak up all the light and make the display appear eternally dim. You'll be able to get better illumination with a lower watt bulb by using lighter colors inside.

I swear BigB and I must be related. I pretty much envisioned the same thing. Home centers like Home Depot and Lowes have some nice under-cabinet task lighting that may do the trick for the illumination.

bigbarada
11-17-2008, 09:51 PM
I swear BigB and I must be related. I pretty much envisioned the same thing. Home centers like Home Depot and Lowes have some nice under-cabinet task lighting that may do the trick for the illumination.

I think it's more about people with good taste thinking alike.;)

LTBasker
11-18-2008, 12:13 AM
-Paint the base to match the Death Star outer hull
-Put a glossy black paint all over the display surface
-Cut a troop-elevator hole in it about 6" deep
-Make a small platform to mount inside of it
-Add details to further give the appearance of the Death Star hangar
-Put the BMF in there
-Add figures

Sinscia Fat'o
11-22-2008, 09:30 AM
I would find as many star wars scenes as i could on the internet and place them in the background and have figures that went with the pictures. . . But you gotta have some sort of lighting in there.